Forum Settings
Forums
Sankarea
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 7, 2014 7:42 PM

Nov 2008
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
The raw for Chapter 49 is up on Sen Manga. Damn! There is a lot happening - pathos, memory, eros, horror - you want it, it is all there.

I'm going to wait until I get my copy of the March issue of Bessatsu Shounen Magazine before I write a summary - I ought to get it Monday or Tuesday.

In the mean while, even if you don't read much (or any) Japanese it is worth while to check out the raw!
Feb 9, 2014 2:51 PM

Sep 2011
Funny how flashbacks work, isn't it? Just as the conclusive moment our hero remember something. And then... Bath scene, with Rea going berserk

Going with the zombie as a premise, it's pretty much impossible without some asspull for htis to be a happy ending... I'm not sure what to think of this series if Rea is ever gone, but I hope no asspulls ruins it.
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
Feb 9, 2014 5:43 PM

Nov 2008
I keep remembering way back at the beginning of the publication of Sankarea in the first tankouban there was a colour foldout of Ranko, Rea and Mero, all nude, except for some roll bandages covering "critical" portions of their bodies. When I first saw that I wondered if that meant that Ranko and Mero would eventually join Rea as zombies. Now at the end of this chapter it looks like that might come true.

Maybe Chihiro will end up with Darlene after all...
Feb 11, 2014 6:22 PM

Nov 2008
My summary for Chapter 49 is now up on my MAL blog.

One thing that struck me as I read the March 2014 issue of Bessatsu Shounen Magazine is how the content has changed over the past few years since I first started reading this manga magazine (specifically for Sankarea). Back then there were a number of ero-comedies in the magazine and even Sankarea tended to fall into that category more often than not. But nowadays the vast majority of stories in the magazine have no ero content at all, nor comedy, and instead have lots of explicit gore. And it looks like Sankarea is going that way too.

I'll be disappointed if this trend continues.
Feb 13, 2014 8:58 AM
Feb 2012
dbaranyi said:

One thing that struck me as I read the March 2014 issue of Bessatsu Shounen Magazine is how the content has changed over the past few years since I first started reading this manga magazine (specifically for Sankarea). Back then there were a number of ero-comedies in the magazine and even Sankarea tended to fall into that category more often than not. But nowadays the vast majority of stories in the magazine have no ero content at all, nor comedy, and instead have lots of explicit gore. And it looks like Sankarea is going that way too.

Personally, I'm quite fond of the darker side of manga like Sankarea. I mean, it *is* a zombie story at the end of the day. And in my eyes it still manages to throw in a little comedy here and there from time to time, which makes for a fine mix.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Feb 17, 2014 8:32 AM

Sep 2011
dbaranyi said:

I see some comedy in this... lol

dbaranyi said:
I keep remembering way back at the beginning of the publication of Sankarea in the first tankouban there was a colour foldout of Ranko, Rea and Mero, all nude, except for some roll bandages covering "critical" portions of their bodies. When I first saw that I wondered if that meant that Ranko and Mero would eventually join Rea as zombies. Now at the end of this chapter it looks like that might come true.

Maybe Chihiro will end up with Darlene after all...

Why? Because everyone else would be dead and he isn't into his sister? LOL.

I think that drawing means nothing, probably was just a product of Darlene not being introduced as a character yet.

But if that ACTUALLY happens(They can't save Ranko at that momen, they're what? miles away? Grandpa is dead and no other relevant character is there), I would be pleasantly surprised.

DARLENE ENDING WOOT

But... Let's keep in mind what the title of the series is.
Feb 17, 2014 9:31 AM

Nov 2008
I didn't make it clear in my summary, but Mero is there too with Ranko. So, given Rea's zombie-strength, she could kill both of them.

BTW - grandpa isn't dead, AFAIK, but he is far away.

Come to think of it, the only person around who might be able to do something is Chihiro's father, who has played a surprisingly small role in the manga so far. Maybe he knows more then we all think and can come up with something...

In any event, I guess that we have to wait until March 9/10 for the next issue to come out.
dbaranyiFeb 17, 2014 10:16 AM
Feb 17, 2014 10:51 AM

Sep 2011
dbaranyi said:
I didn't make it clear in my summary, but Mero is there too with Ranko. So, given Rea's zombie-strength, she could kill both of them.

BTW - grandpa isn't dead, AFAIK, but he is far away.

Come to think of it, the only person around who might be able to do something is Chihiro's father, who has played a surprisingly small role in the manga so far. Maybe he knows more then we all think and can come up with something...

In any event, I guess that we have to wait until March 9/10 for the next issue to come out.

- Oh, I didn't pay much attention then when I read it... I see her now

- He didn't?? Wait... My memory is fucked up then, lol.

- Chihiro's father surprisingly doesn't fit that abandoned father + dead mother. Jeez, what is it up with these shows where the mom is dead and the dad is missing/asshole/abusive/anything bad? I guess that fosters independence... But it really is a tiring genre of stuff, the idea of the japanese motherhood I am guessing is that the mom takes care of the child for so long and that's why the protagonists are usually mentally stronger than most of the readers.

- I don't know what to think of if they actually became zombies, but I am praying they don't bullshit and say Rea will somehow turn back into a human, because of the science in the series so far is fairly consistent and nothing magic-science level has popped up yet(besides the premise)

But if that means Darlene ending, I am all for it.
Feb 21, 2014 4:54 AM

Aug 2012
It looks like it'll only take some miracle for this manga to have a happy ending.
Rea should be saying itadakimasu at the end lol....
Run for your lives!!!
Feb 21, 2014 3:07 PM

Sep 2011
julyan04 said:
It looks like it'll only take some miracle for this manga to have a happy ending.
Rea should be saying itadakimasu at the end lol....
Run for your lives!!!

or the zombie version of it.
Mar 12, 2014 1:54 PM

Aug 2010
+1 for the Darlene ending :D

Shit got real at the end and finally Chihiro remember his shit ^^
Mar 12, 2014 3:47 PM

May 2013
I couldn't tell what Rea was eating, but now she is after Mero. Chihiro finally remembers his past and why he likes zombies.
Mar 12, 2014 4:09 PM

Nov 2011
Asleep for almost 100 years. Wow. I can't even imagine that right now.

I feel sorry for Yuzuna for what happened in the past. Car accidents don't come easy..
What the hell is happening now? Oh God Rea..
Mar 12, 2014 4:21 PM

Nov 2008
babymilo91 said:
I couldn't tell what Rea was eating, but now she is after Mero. Chihiro finally remembers his past and why he likes zombies.

She was eating a scrubbing sponge.
Mar 12, 2014 4:44 PM

Jul 2012
So his mother was a zombie. Well that explains his fascination of zombie girls.

Rea is about to bite the younger sister.

Great chapter!!!
Mar 12, 2014 11:09 PM
Mar 2012
So much development, my goodness. Suspicions are now confirmed that Chihiro's mother was a zombie.
Mar 13, 2014 2:13 AM

Oct 2009
I still don't think that there will be a totally bad ending, maybe Chihiro will be capable to improve the drug, I think it's strange to leave Rea die.
Mar 13, 2014 3:26 AM

Sep 2011
Skullcrusher said:
I still don't think that there will be a totally bad ending, maybe Chihiro will be capable to improve the drug, I think it's strange to leave Rea die.

Not really. Even if he improves the drug, it wouldn't be able to let her live a life time unless the author abandoned all the efforts she had made towards a degree of realism. And how's chihiro suppose to do that when he has nearly no medical knowledge?

Leaving Rea to die is only natural, she is already dead!

If there comes some method to make basic immortality happen, well... You have to completely destroy the artistic integrity of the series
Mar 19, 2014 7:40 PM

May 2011
Woah, if I thought the first part about the grandpa's wife was sad here came even more. No wonder he gave into that promise. Rea has so many of these almost eating people moments I have my doubts about it happening with anyone, well, aside from Chihiro. xD;
Mar 23, 2014 10:49 PM
Mar 2009
Well my estimate last chapter was waaaaay off. Otoki's been asleep for over 100 years?! But that means Jogorou married Yuzuna's mother and had Yuzuna when he was probably like, near 100. What the fuck?

So it seems like Yuzuna's resurrection was somewhat of a success? Chihiro seems to only have fond memories of his mother. Though we still don't know why he lost his memories. I'm guessing his mother entered the confused state and he personally witnessed it and repressed the memory.

Why is Ranko acting so aloof? She should be on high alert after seeing what happened to Rea during her "plan" and then seeing Rea eating god knows what.
Apr 16, 2014 9:49 AM

May 2013
I hope Ranko gets her shit together so that Rea doesn't eat Mero.
Jul 26, 2014 6:34 AM

Apr 2009
I guess massive exposure to the drug not only lengthened lifespans but also slowed down Jogorou's aging such that decades after Otoki's "death" he had already remarried and had a daughter.

Rea was so "hungry" she was eating the loofah... Mero is in big trouble here...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sankarea Chapter 56 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Sep 5, 2014

84 by NaughtySempai »»
Apr 23, 1:07 PM

» Sankarea Chapter 56.1 Extra Discussion ( 1 2 )

End - May 27, 2015

95 by Kitsu-nee »»
Dec 23, 2023 3:44 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Chapter 4 Discussion

Laevantein - Mar 17, 2010

49 by Kitsu-nee »»
Oct 29, 2023 3:20 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Chapter 1 Discussion

RobinotX - Mar 6, 2010

15 by removed-user »»
Mar 4, 2023 6:57 PM

Poll: » Sankarea Chapter 13 Discussion

dbaranyi - Dec 15, 2010

26 by Niamhyuwu »»
Oct 15, 2022 8:45 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.