Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Jan 24, 2015 3:15 PM

Oct 2014
Pretty good episode. Fun to learn more about Faye since I really like her :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 26, 2015 7:16 AM

Jul 2009
Great episode!

Nice to see Faye's past and how she was cryogenic and woke up 50 years later while retaining as 20 year old woman.

Since Whitney Hagas said it's been 3 years now, Faye is already 23 physically by this show :)

It's kinda weird to think that Faye is technically 50+ years old! Then again we had that episode where the kid couldn't age due to radiation, so it's not that bad.

Would love to stay physically in my 20s even if i'm already in my 50s!

Despite all the lies, at least Whitney Hagas did fell in love with Faye. It's just a shame they had to deceive her, but i'm glad Faye didn't broke down or anything.

Also what was this gate accident thing? I think i remember this in the first few episodes, so that it?

Oh well i hope we could learn more about Faye's past. It seems she's quite similar with Spike and how both were "experimented" on.

Love Otsuka's voice!! He really sound young in this compared to his voice today ^^

Sasuga Big Boss!!

Can't wait for the next episode!! Seems it's gonna appeal to old people :P
Mar 5, 2015 5:32 PM
May 2014
...Slow but meh it was a good episode. Got to learn about her past.

Fat implant. Whyyy 0_0
Jun 3, 2015 2:02 AM

Feb 2013
I swear these background episode are the best of Bebop.
Aug 17, 2015 10:44 AM

Jan 2015
Well, this didn't explain much about her character, except maybe her disdain towards debts.

Guess she was already a bitch before her memory loss.
And another mindless betrayal...

"Women don't work on reason", Jet's always right :p
Sep 14, 2015 6:29 PM

Mar 2012
TIL 2014 was when cell phones had solar antennas. Always fun when shows from decades ago talk about modern tech.
Sep 15, 2015 8:00 AM

Feb 2012
I really appreciate that the bounty hunters don't pretend to like each other, it's not like in other shows where the team automatically works together. It's really great that if you try to screw over everyone else, the rest of the bounty hunters will not go easy on you
Sep 17, 2015 7:01 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
What a messed up way to wake up.
Oct 16, 2015 4:48 AM
Nov 2014
Valentine Faye, the sleeping beauty.
Nov 13, 2015 11:13 PM

Dec 2013
Wasn't expecting a backstory for Faye. Much less that one... She's old
Jan 1, 2016 6:35 AM
SHSL Good Luck

Apr 2015
Faye's focused episode. She's 70+ years old O.O

5/5
Jan 3, 2016 9:52 PM

Jan 2013
Cellphones didn't have solar antennas in 2014. That it, this episode deserves a 1/5.
Once again, always bad at predicting the future, even 15 years into it.

Anyways, good episode and interesting revelation.
Feb 25, 2016 1:39 AM

Jan 2016
Nice episode but what was the point of Faye's backstory? we didn't learn anything about her past except that she's 74 years old O_o
Mar 11, 2016 6:55 AM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
I wasnt expecting all that background exposure for Faye. Definitly a great and pleasant surprise, and some good development too.
Apr 8, 2016 8:26 PM

Jul 2014
"You have a future, that's what counts."
May 29, 2016 7:42 AM

Oct 2012
Lol washing machine in 2060+ xD
What a coincidence, everything happened so suddenly
Anime coincidence, gotta love 'em xD
"Signature removed"
Aug 5, 2016 12:41 PM

Aug 2013
Did they really expect someone who's been sleeping for 50+ years to pay their debt back?
Aug 7, 2016 5:40 PM

Jan 2013
it didnt make sense when spike and jet made the bet cause wasnt JET the one saying she'd let him go at first (saying the tough ones always turn out to be soft), and then 2 seconds later the bet was reversed, with SPIKE betting 4 to 1 that she let him go?

lol and who drew on Ein?!

THe previews for the next episode look badassss! Jet's background! And he looks like a mafioso!
Oct 26, 2016 12:32 PM

Mar 2013
Nice and funny backstory XD
So... the debt is still going on or not for her?
Dec 3, 2016 6:33 AM

Nov 2011
That the lawyer was a cheat, I was sure from the beginning, is the fault of this anime, which prepared me for anything. XD
Narration pleasant and nice, as expected. Perhaps the blink, in past episodes, age of Faye, was a clue about his past. The OST is great. The characters are fantastic, and all very original, what happiness!
Dec 30, 2016 10:26 PM

Jul 2015
I didn't like her past
But I like her a lot
4/5
Feb 3, 2017 11:24 PM

Jul 2012
Faye's past, or lack there of, was interesting. I wonder if she/we will ever find out her actual history.
Aug 25, 2017 11:28 AM

May 2015
Very funny episode.

Faye best girl.
"The future is always blank. Only your willpower can leave footsteps there."

"Ruling over death means ruling over life. Death is the climax of life. To have the best death, you must honor life."
Oct 3, 2017 1:24 PM

Jul 2013
Wow, that was a really interesting episode to learn more of Faye.

I really didn't expect that back story of her being in some kind of accident and being chryogenically frozen.

It's a shame all her information from before was lost so she couldn't find out what happened to her.

That guy changed a lot in 3 years lol. With surgery or whatever.

I can't believe Spike said "you're story's too long, it needs editing" LOL! that was hilarious! I'mma gonna use that.
stephtastropheOct 3, 2017 1:30 PM
Feb 15, 2018 3:42 AM

Nov 2014
I hadn't expected a Faye Valentine backstory episode, nor would I have expected such an episode to be so interesting. I really like the Japanese voice actors. It's refreshing to watch an anime where the performers have range, and aren't just yelling all of their lines. Megumi Hayashibara, who plays Faye, gives the most relaxed delivery at times.
Apr 9, 2018 4:14 AM
Jun 2016
Lol how many times has faye betrayed the group already😜
May 16, 2018 2:18 PM
Dec 2017
Easily one of my favorite episodes so far (besides episodes 9 and 11). Faye is honestly my favorite character (besides Ed) and this episode made me love her even more :D
Dec 6, 2018 4:01 PM

Feb 2017
Since it wasn't posted in the thread yet, here's the song that the doctor mentions as his favourite, also the title of this episode:

Dec 14, 2018 10:29 PM

Aug 2016
the real funny valentine gets a deserved backstory. cool episode!
:v
Jan 10, 2019 11:22 AM

Nov 2018
Extremely disappointing episode because it was supposed to flesh out the enigma behind Faye Valentine, but it didn't make any sense.

It appears that Faye Valentine had a bad accident 54 years ago and was put into cold sleep to protect her body and ensure she would survive until an era with superior medical technology that could heal her. The process is a success as she is operated on while in cryo-stasis and awakens in good physical condition. The only snag being that she owes over 300M and has lost her memory, which is problematic because the records on her past were destroyed in the infamous astrogate disaster.

After that the plot becomes ridiculous which is actually a shame with such a strong premise. Faye is lied to and a scammer working with the doctor introduces himself as a lawyer assigned by the relevant insurance company. He starts taking her out and buying nice things before faking his own death. Now the totally unbelievable part occurs, Faye agrees to accept his estate without knowing what that estate actually entails. There is no way that in a sophisticated future with cryo-sleep, advanced fingerprint technology, hologram technology and complex spaceflight that contract law has regressed to the point where a vulnerable party can accept debt she does not know about nor is able to service.

Why would Faye accept an estate without looking into accepting a debt without checking on it first? The creditors would be forced to accept the losses at face value if the estate cannot be sufficiently liquidated to service them. The entire scam doesn't make any sense. You operate on and revive people with no biographical records to hand over a debt of a few million when the operation supposedly costs hundreds of millions? In addition you are reviving people you know nothing about who are totally unsuited to the future because they haven't experienced anything and thus are highly unlikely to be able to pay you back or produce any profits. This is such a stupid scam if you think about it for half a minute. The transfer of debts wouldn't stand up in any court and you accrue serious costs for reviving what may be potentially useless individuals who are unable to pay anything back. What happens if you revive an individual with violent or extremely aggressive tendencies? The entire enterprise is absolutely stupid and surely you would use such advanced medical facilities to turn an honest profit instead.

Faye's behaviour when they capture Whitney is poorly written. The writers have made Faye an independent asshole that they can flip a switch on whenever they like. Instead of communicating with her crew she hijacks the bounty, points a gun at them and threatens to kill them before becoming embroiled in a dogfight with Spike over a man that conned her repeatedly because she wants to talk to him. Why didn't she just tell Spike and Jet that this man potentially holds the keys to her past and she wants a delay in handing him over so they can get to the bottom of the entire affair? Instead she risks death or serious injury for herself and her teammates because we needed action for the end of the episode. Why would Spike and Jet keep her around if she back stabs them at a moment's notice and seems okay with putting their lives at risk for myopic aims? We are repeatedly shown that this crew lives on the edge and keeps missing out on major bounties due to minor issues, so their financial status is constantly imperiled. There is no way they keep somebody as unreliable and disloyal as Faye Valentine even if they thinks she's hot.

The scam makes no sense, the resolution makes no sense and Faye's decision-making is frankly ridiculous even if you account for the fact that she desperately wants to know her past and used to have feelings for the bounty.
Apr 24, 2019 5:18 AM

Feb 2013
So, we have no idea who she really is.
May 23, 2019 10:40 PM

Jun 2011
Spike is so mean to Faye in this episode. Guess I don't blame him considering he hates bitches.

Not the best episode but interesting to get some backstory on Faye. I still want to know who she is and more about her past.
Numbuh 3, you've got to get off the couch, you cannot sit in that tree house, girl you like Rainbow Monkeys so grab your little shit and then swing!

Hand tracks be tracking me to different doorways. In a maze, and I don't know what to do. Guaranteed though, Ima find the emeralds.
Aug 3, 2019 5:04 AM

Apr 2013
Why do people act like she's born in 1994? In the end it all was a lie anyway and no one knows anything about her past. Also after all the shit she pulled so far, I certainly wouldn't let her take another step on my spaceship again. She actually fired at Spike and Jet...
Aug 6, 2019 5:00 AM

Aug 2017
Valentine's past, huh. So, she's an old lady xD

Much better than the last episode.

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 19, 2019 9:06 PM
Jun 2019
It seems like I'm in the minority here based on the other replies, but this was my favorite episode so far. Faye's (my favorite character) backstory, and all the humor landed. I espescially liked the scenes between Spike and Jet this episode!
Read Tsukihime!
Feb 7, 2020 5:51 PM

Dec 2015
Much better episode than the some of the previous ones. This series is indeed much better when focusing on the characters rather than just a random adventure
Mar 9, 2020 4:59 PM

Dec 2010
I wonder if Spike is the only one with a "true sadness" in his past, or maybe the true sadness will be experienced in the present within Bebop's crew.
Jun 10, 2020 7:23 AM
Jul 2018
Pensar que a Faye tem um passado em branco. A personagem continua um mistério. Uma sombra que se fez carne e uma ótima atiradora! Uma caçadora de recompensa que possui seu passado como isca para problemas. Um episódio com uma trilha linda.
Nov 9, 2020 1:54 PM

Dec 2007
what hell of past faye have o_o

the second half of the episode was... meh, too much "coincidence"...
Jul 4, 2021 8:51 PM
Jul 2018
"My Funny Valentine".... And to know there's nothing funny about it. At least, just ironic. An ep about surfaces and lies; that not all truth is showed/told at first, and that some surfaces can be just surfaces, they don't really are what they show. Black Dog Serenade, the end of Jupiter Jazz Part 1and Venus Waltz¹ give a great hint on the subject too, but not so intensely through Valentine's past in this episode... Actually, Valentine isn't even her surname. Sad.

P.S.: Spike chasing after Faye and them fighting and shooting at each other was the only part that really was funny to watch.
¹ P.S. 2: I forgot to mention Sympathy For The Devil ep.
removed-userJul 5, 2021 8:40 PM
Jul 15, 2021 8:23 PM

Jun 2019
I actually liked this one quite a bit. I'm always up to learn more about one of the lead characters, and although this one isn't too deep, I think it still does a decent job.

The episode had a couple good gags, and I found the Sleeping Beauty thing actually really sweet, despite all the lies.
Sep 28, 2021 9:00 PM
Aug 2021
Another average episode , sigh..
Oct 28, 2021 9:06 AM
Aug 2021
So that's how she got into her huuuge debt. And Faye was in cryogenical sleep for 54 years so she's actually 77 years old, damn. Hopefully we'll find the reason why in a future episode.

The gags were funny but I really expected a serious backstory (That dude had definitely fallen in love with Faye though).
Dec 3, 2021 9:39 AM
Feb 2021
in my opinion the only good part about this ep were ein's thicccc eyebrows. i think fays backstory was extremely cheesy and the rest just felt really unnecessary
Dec 11, 2021 5:59 AM

Aug 2021
lmao Ed started to eat the fish right away
whoa Faye was 70 years old till now
This song when Faye was eating in the restaurant was great

Atleast they won a bounty this time which is pretty rare till now X3
tookthisusernameDec 11, 2021 6:03 AM
Dec 11, 2021 10:34 AM
Nov 2020
God I love Faye’s backstory. What a fascinating and bitterly tragic character.
May 14, 2022 6:56 PM

Feb 2021
"That's not a phone, that's a thermometer" lmao

That was pretty good but the second half felt a little weird having him come back all the sudden and the whole ending. Still liked it ig
Aug 24, 2022 9:10 PM

Aug 2013
learning about faye's (lack of) background was so interesting
the scene where spike leaves the bathroom and tells her to edit her story had me bawling lol
Oct 13, 2022 12:24 AM
Jan 2022
The animation was super crisp in this episode
Oct 16, 2022 10:18 AM
Dec 2020
i like it it was funny and fun to watchhhh
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Metty - May 14, 2008

625 by wibugar »»
Today, 1:24 AM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 14, 2008

123 by Shobbrook »»
May 8, 1:32 AM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 13, 2008

207 by Shobbrook »»
May 8, 1:11 AM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

FighterZ - May 2, 2008

133 by ItachiSanStatus »»
Apr 29, 4:10 PM

Poll: » Cowboy Bebop Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

KillthisAccount - Jul 23, 2009

132 by RioFS »»
Apr 26, 9:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.