Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 31, 2014 8:48 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, there's a lot of expectations for the idols so I'm not surprised some of them are more stressed than others. I have a feeling Mayu will be a star someday but she needs a bit more confidence imo.

Oop, a chance encounter on the streets. They definitely have something to say to each other.
Jan 31, 2014 11:18 AM

May 2013
Gotta feel bad for Mayu. That guy basically interrogating her. Hopefully she can get through this ordeal. Running into a former colleague. Wonder what she has to say.
Jan 31, 2014 11:22 AM

Aug 2010
Well I guess it was to be expected to have this much drama about Mayu. But it's annoying.

I just feel so good when Junko punches the hell out of the asses XD

Let's see what happens nxt ep with the cliffhanger
Jan 31, 2014 12:02 PM

Apr 2012
What exactly does the manager do in this show?! First off he lets the girls get completly exploited by a shady guy and now he's too pathetic to stop an ambush interview! I swear he's the weakest adult male I have ever seen! The way he sort of made a move towards the camera man then backed off with a sort of sad look on his face the pr**k... Rant over.
Jan 31, 2014 12:04 PM

Jul 2012
as soon as that dude started talking to Mayu I wanted the president to punch him in the face... and then she did :D
"Let's make a miracle happen using the power of friendship."
"If that was all it took, there'd be no need for training arcs!"

"Normal rabbits don't carry guns!"
Jan 31, 2014 12:46 PM

Jan 2014
its nice to see the mayu fan doing work on the japanese forums with defending her and all
[right]
Jan 31, 2014 1:00 PM
Oct 2012
Ah, I am enjoying this show more every week, scummy reporters, the cut throat nature of group idols, and the misogynist streak possessing so many of the so called "fans" (you see them even here with animated characters, imagine what they are like in real life).

The I-1 producer totally looks like the type that would try to put the moves on a 15 year old girl and then can her when she didn't put out. Coincidence that they are going to Sendai? Nope, the guy looks like the type who enjoys pull the wings off of girls dreams (great slogan that group has, 10 girls to replace 4, I doubt few of the girls didn't recognize that more cuts are coming). I am starting to have a feeling that the mother was somehow involved in this and in her way Mayu is keeping silent to protect her.

The sad thing is that there is no way this show is going to be popular, fans aren't ready for something that approaches the dark reality of the idol business.
Takuan_SohoJan 31, 2014 1:10 PM
Jan 31, 2014 1:51 PM
Mahou☆Shoujo

Apr 2011
How much more annoying can this show become? Isn't an anime about idols supposed to show us positive girls singing positive songs like in Idolmaster and Love Live?
Jan 31, 2014 1:58 PM

Jul 2012
corextele said:
its nice to see the mayu fan doing work on the japanese forums with defending her and all

agree; glad to see someone from the fan's side is still supporting her

Takuan_Soho said:

I am starting to have a feeling that the mother was somehow involved in this and in her way Mayu is keeping silent to protect her.

I was thinking along the same lines. maybe not about the "protecting" bit, necessarily. when the reporter mentioned money transfers I started thinking the mother may have been involved in some behind the scenes deals that could have ruined Mayu's career. Her mom's a bitch, though; hope she gets smacked some time soon

edit: maybe once her mom and the president meet I'll get to see the smack I'm hoping for
"Let's make a miracle happen using the power of friendship."
"If that was all it took, there'd be no need for training arcs!"

"Normal rabbits don't carry guns!"
Jan 31, 2014 2:08 PM

Sep 2011
akarin- said:
How much more annoying can this show become? Isn't an anime about idols supposed to show us positive girls singing positive songs like in Idolmaster and Love Live?

That's what I thought, but then the show just got worse and worse.
Jan 31, 2014 2:15 PM
Feb 2013
Tyrel said:
akarin- said:

Wait, so giving a somewhat realistic look at the entertainment industry as opposed to the usual white-washed pandering is an inherently bad thing?
Farson89Jan 31, 2014 2:20 PM
Jan 31, 2014 2:25 PM

Jan 2008
akarin- said:

Yea, I was watching a shounen the other day and there was no fighting and stuff, it totally sucked and that one magical girl anime where they kept dying was total shit because it wasn't like the other magical girl anime where they fight evil with sunshines, rainbows and the power of friendship.
Jan 31, 2014 2:32 PM
Mahou☆Shoujo

Apr 2011
Farson89 said:
Wait, so giving a somewhat realistic look at the entertainment industry as opposed to the usual white-washed pandering is an inherently bad thing?

Well I wouldn't mind about it if the animation wasn't SO bad in this show. Sometimes girls faces are very crooked.
Jan 31, 2014 2:42 PM

Sep 2011
Farson89 said:
Tyrel said:
akarin- said:

Sadly, yes. I planned to watch this for the songs, not for the 1. Fanservice of their panties 2. Dressing in swimsuits and serving old people 3. Everything else. The only thing the show HAS done right, is that the one song that they actually have done is somewhat good.
Jan 31, 2014 3:03 PM
Jul 2013
To inquire about a person's past that horrible.

Whoa, seems labor exploitation: http://i58.tinypic.com/2s63bdk.jpg
Jan 31, 2014 3:06 PM
Jul 2018
akarin- said:

I don even think u need to include love live when you were saying that because the vibe i'm getting from this is all idolm@ster.
Jan 31, 2014 3:12 PM
Mahou☆Shoujo

Apr 2011
Mikenzb said:
I don even think u need to include love live when you were saying that because the vibe i'm getting from this is all idolm@ster.

You only think so because this anime and Idolmaster have the same character design. That's the only thing that is similar between them.
Jan 31, 2014 3:18 PM

Apr 2011
Tyrel said:
akarin- said:

This show gets better, and better. You obviously don't understand what this show is trying to push for, judging by your comment.
Glorious Titties Nuff Said!

Make America Great Again!
Jan 31, 2014 3:31 PM

Jan 2009
1. I don't have the right mindset to watch a series like this. I'm always hoping something big and grand would happen but idk if i'll find it here.

2. Series isn't terrible and not for me. Just like any typical/cliche anime, the girls will probably reach their dreams at the end of the series.

3. The very fact that I know they will do fine in the end doesn't sit well with me because it's just so predictable and boring. I'm just tired of series with happy endings cuz most anime ends in that cliche fashion.

4. hope u other guys enjoy another happy ending series. i'm off this ride.
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Jan 31, 2014 3:54 PM

Oct 2013
Odd as it may seem, since I'm a middle-aged guy, I could relate to the ambush interview with Mayu! About 20 years ago I was a member of a local hardcore/punk band in a city with a very big scene. One of the hangers-on was a sociopath who took it upon himself to torture an animal and ended up arrested and on trial. This numbskull had nothing whatsoever to do with my band, didn't hang out with us or any of our friends, etc., but after his crime a regional tabloid TV show turned up at one of our gigs and began interviewing people outside and filming our set, plus the set of one of our brother bands. All the people interviewed, which did not include any band members, gave intelligent answers, and we thought nothing of it. So we were shocked when the lurid segment on the 'violent, fascist, hardcore scene' aired. This included footage of our band and audience spliced in with scenes of Hitler giving a speech!!! We ended up joining forces with our brother band and threatening a lawsuit. The only thing stopping us from giving the producers of this trash a 'blanket party' (wait outside the studio at night, throw a blanket over his head, and proceed to pulverize him), was that it would only have reinforced the false stereotype of 'ultra-violent' punks.

I wish we had a manager like Tange who would punch him in the face! She really redeemed herself over the last couple of episodes, especially her effort to comfort Mayu.
Jan 31, 2014 4:51 PM
Jul 2018
Suzuki had learned his lesson, he should never inquire people about their painful past even they don't want to talk about it
Jan 31, 2014 5:28 PM

Nov 2011
akarin- said:

if you prefer the happy-go-lucky kind of anime, you're watching the wrong series

redtailrav said:
I wish we had a manager like Tange who would punch him in the face! She really redeemed herself over the last couple of episodes, especially her effort to comfort Mayu.

agreed ^^
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jan 31, 2014 5:34 PM

Mar 2008
I'm really liking this so far. The portrayal of what it's like to be an idol instead of becoming an instant hit like other idol shows out there is doing wonders for this show.

We'll get our happy performances and songs later, for now the show needs to handle the drama with Mayushi and get through that.

I-1's manager, literally Hitler.
Jan 31, 2014 5:54 PM
Oct 2012
Tohka_Yatogami said:
Suzuki had learned his lesson, he should never inquire people about their painful past even they don't want to talk about it

I don't believe he got punched solely for his questions, he got punched because he lied to the producer about wanting to interview the group.

Bad move. Of course the Producer wants to protect her star talent, but the way the reporter went about doing it threatened the entire group. By claiming he wanted to interview the group, he raised the girl's hopes about their future, but by making it clear he had no interest in the girls he could have undermined both their confidence and their desire to even want to enter such an industry.

You can tell this was how she was thinking by how she reacted even before he got to Mayu. Harassing her was merely the icing on the cake.

I am curious to see how the writers are going to handle this. Mayu is of course the star of the group, all the girls know this (they even said it this episode), a couple will be happy to be able to ride her coattails, but there are 2 or so who probably will have an issue with this as the show progresses. How Junko manages this will be interesting to watch as well. Being a Producer/Manager isn't as easy as finding a group of girls and letting them do all the work, there is a lot of nurturing they will have to do.

I am also curious to see if Mayu's mom really is horrific, some sort of horrible stage mom, or if it is Mayu's unwillingness to explain why she left that is the problem. I am guessing the later, I don't think this show will get that dark, though I hope it does.
Jan 31, 2014 7:37 PM

Nov 2013
Godam, the I1 club is like a mass producing idol factory.
Jan 31, 2014 7:50 PM

Aug 2013
With the way this series is opting for a more realistic take on the idol scene, I wonder if the title "Wake up, Girls" is like actually telling the girls who aspire to be idols that this is the ugly truth behind the glitz and glamour of being an idol. Wake up and smell the coffee, this isn't worth it. Or something like that. Just a random thought.

Idol otaku-san, keep up the good work!
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Jan 31, 2014 10:01 PM

Jul 2013
DGemu said:
Godam, the I1 club is like a mass producing idol factory.

It's no different with AKB48. That I-2, I-3, and the new girls are no different than Team B, Team K, and the kenkyūsei.

akarin- said:

Wow.. do people still seriously think that the idol world are all glamors and party? wait, maybe I should narrow it down to the delusional young girls/fan boys instead. Still, I can't even fathom how anyone could ever think like that..

I don't follow Japanese idols but I do follow the Korean ones. There are many times when things get ugly because of past scandal or even for the slightest incident. DBSK's (TVXQ) split, Jay Park's split from 2PM, T-ara's bullying issue & Hwayoung's departure, Ailee's nude pictures, etc. The DBSK incident itself should make it clear to anyone that the idol business is an ugly, ugly world.

I haven't even mentioned how often news about idol trainees being sexually harassed by their company's president popped up. There are always 1-2 big cases every year, not to mention the unexposed ones yet there are still some idiots here who still can't get over how the girls got taken advantaged of back in episode 2 and blame it as mere fan service. How stupid can you be?
Jan 31, 2014 11:09 PM

Jun 2013
Farson89 said:

jiraiya_sensei said:

Wow.. do people still seriously think that the idol world are all glamors and party? wait, maybe I should narrow it down to the delusional young girls/fan boys instead. Still, I can't even fathom how anyone could ever think like that..

I don't follow Japanese idols but I do follow the Korean ones. There are many times when things get ugly because of past scandal or even for the slightest incident. DBSK's (TVXQ) split, Jay Park's split from 2PM, T-ara's bullying issue & Hwayoung's departure, Ailee's nude pictures, etc. The DBSK incident itself should make it clear to anyone that the idol business is an ugly, ugly world.

I haven't even mentioned how often news about idol trainees being sexually harassed by their company's president popped up. There are always 1-2 big cases every year, not to mention the unexposed ones yet there are still some idiots here who still can't get over how the girls got taken advantaged of back in episode 2 and blame it as mere fan service. How stupid can you be?

THIS. People should stop ranting about the drama in this.
"Children of Japan. And those who were once children. Listen! This is not a dream. This is not fiction. In reality, your superheroes were always fighting. To teach viewers courage and the meaning of justice! No matter how many enemies there are. No matter how strong evil is. Just remember. Does any another country have so many heroes? Has any another country been protected by multiple superheroes? Stand with me, friends! Remember when you used to watch your superheroes!
Once you may have given up this dream. But today, you can be a hero!"

- Kaname Jouji , Red Axe

Feb 1, 2014 1:28 AM

Dec 2012
Learning more about how Mayu left I-1 Club.
That interviewer was such an ass and definitely deserved that punch from the president.
"I’ve set myself to become the King of the Pirates…and if I die trying…then at least I tried!" Monkey D. Luffy (One Piece)

Feb 1, 2014 7:15 AM

Dec 2011
xchee said:
With the way this series is opting for a more realistic take on the idol scene, I wonder if the title "Wake up, Girls" is like actually telling the girls who aspire to be idols that this is the ugly truth behind the glitz and glamour of being an idol. Wake up and smell the coffee, this isn't worth it. Or something like that. Just a random thought.

Pretty sure you're right about that, and I was thinking so before the anime started airing as well.

Basically this show is about showcasing and bringing to light the darker sides of the idol industry...
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Feb 1, 2014 8:26 AM

May 2010
Miyu is so considerate, best girl. I really loved the tone of the song I-1 group was dancing to. The president is saving the show so far.

Liked this episode.
Feb 1, 2014 2:43 PM

Jan 2011
show biz struggle is real,only god awful thing about this show is how inconsistent the art is where did the short film quality go :(
Feb 1, 2014 5:07 PM

Sep 2011
kuuderes_shadow said:
xchee said:

Pretty sure you're right about that, and I was thinking so before the anime started airing as well.

Basically this show is about showcasing and bringing to light the darker sides of the idol industry...

I'm really impressed with Wake up Girls so far. My big concern is that the series is going to wimp out at the end. Ultimately this series has been created to promote an idol group that has been created so it can't completely trash the industry .. but they sure seem to be poking AKB48 pretty hard!

As to those that want their nice fluffy idol show, just wait for Love Live next season.
Feb 1, 2014 6:40 PM

Feb 2013
Solid episode. I hope they keep this style going forward.

I'm glad the president lady finally punched that jerk for harassing Mayu... but she should have seen that coming.

I-1 is run like slave drivers... ouch... Can't blame Mayu for quitting that trash.
Feb 1, 2014 10:00 PM
Mar 2012
I feel sorry for Mayu, her past always comes back to haunt her
Feb 2, 2014 10:03 AM

Mar 2013
This was a really good episode. I just hate that it ended on a cliffhanger. Don't make me wait! lol

I don't know what to think of Mayu's mom. Is she upset like a mother would be seeing her child go through the same thing again? You see how upset Mayu was in the stairwell w/ her friend, maybe her mom doesn't want to see her that upset again. Or, she could be one of those stage moms who only think of themselves. I just don't know.

It's definitely interesting.
Feb 2, 2014 10:56 AM

Dec 2008
I thought it was common knowledge at this point that Wake Up Girls! isn't going to be anything remotely similar to Idolmasters or Love Live; it's not going to be as happy-go-lucky as expected from a series of the Idol genre and be more character-oriented/drama-oriented as opposed to Idol-oriented. Maybe we'll get more idol-esque elements that we got in Episode 3 but that's after the whole Mayu issue resolves, assuming it ever does before the series ends.

Honestly, the one thing that scares me the most about the series right now is that Wake Up Girls is looking more and more like a time bomb; now that the interviewer basically put how people outside Sendai view them on the table (as Mayu and Friends), it's only a matter of time before one of them potentially starts thinking "this is BS, I wanted to be an Idol, not in Mayu's shadow". Coupled with I-1's looming invasion, something going's to go really wrong really soon at the rate things are going.

I just hope that Mayu can pull it together, same goes with Matsuda and the rest of the girls.
Will I fall in love someday? I wonder?

Feb 2, 2014 11:59 AM

Nov 2011
scruffykiwi said:

As to those that want their nice fluffy idol show, just wait for Love Live next season.

for fluffy anime, watch Aikatsu. can't get any more fluffy than that me thinks...
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Feb 3, 2014 4:58 AM

Oct 2013
gotta love the mayu fan battling away on the forums in the toilet? Maybe not but it looked like a toilet..
Feb 3, 2014 8:13 AM

Sep 2009
billybob300c said:
I don't have the right mindset to watch a series like this. Just like any typical/cliche anime, the girls will probably reach their dreams at the end of the series. The very fact that I know they will do fine in the end doesn't sit well with me because it's just so predictable and boring. I'm just tired of series with happy endings cuz most anime ends in that cliche fashion.
I hope that your life doesn't end with a happy ending too because that would be boring ;)

I like this seires. It's different from the usual overly positive and dreamy idol anime. Of course that is the right attitude, but reality isn't like that.

By the way, I1 Club is basically a living hell. I'll do anything to get out of there. They want the I1 girls to be puppet judging from the "don't rest, don't complain, don't think" lolol thats not human anymore. A good company is important. Green leaves is pretty eccentric and desperate but at least the boss has a heart.
Feb 3, 2014 9:25 AM

Oct 2012
I bet one of the reason she left was because she wanted Shiho to take her place and not to fight with her anyone. Another reason and that guy on the photo.. I think that was staged and that they even hired the photographer.

btw: they even did fake webpages? :)

http://gl-e.jp/

HitoriTomoyo said:
Honestly, the one thing that scares me the most about the series right now is that Wake Up Girls is looking more and more like a time bomb; now that the interviewer basically put how people outside Sendai view them on the table (as Mayu and Friends), it's only a matter of time before one of them potentially starts thinking "this is BS, I wanted to be an Idol, not in Mayu's shadow". Coupled with I-1's looming invasion, something going's to go really wrong really soon at the rate things are going.

I was thinking the same. I just wonder whether that one girl who leaves WUG is going to go back or if one of I-1's girls is gonna replace her. Sure there will be storm coming and also much anticipated drama in the process.

Mod Edit: double post merged.
ThangLongFeb 7, 2014 1:17 AM
Feb 3, 2014 8:40 PM

Jan 2013
Interesting episode. More idol drama.
Characters are kind of boring though
Feb 4, 2014 5:42 AM

Aug 2010
akarin- said:
well I skip most of idols anime but Wake up, Girls is one I watch because of the dark reality of idol business like this

so, it's as fun as I expect it to be.
Feb 4, 2014 8:42 AM

Oct 2011
I think it's great that the show isn't showing idols being 100% happy in everything they do, that's totally inaccurate. I can't wait to find out the real reason Mayu had to quit I-1 Club.
Feb 4, 2014 10:36 PM

May 2010
billybob300c said:
Just like any typical/cliche anime, the girls will probably reach their dreams at the end of the series.

The very fact that I know they will do fine in the end doesn't sit well with me because it's just so predictable and boring. I'm just tired of series with happy endings cuz most anime ends in that cliche fashion.

You know, there's not really any room for creativity anyways in your scheme, right? There's happy endings, sad endings, and ambiguous endings (the latter usually due to adapting ongoing work rather than some commitment to realism). All three are cliche, so what exactly are you looking for?
“Money can't buy dere”
Feb 5, 2014 10:40 AM
Feb 2014
akarin- said:

YeahI suppose but for me coming from the music industery myself it is exploring a lot of things that many of us in the bussiness do not talk about. I do not know much about idol groups I'm just watching it because it shows all sides of the music industry so far. Nobody who I have toured with or worked with now as a techno producer talks about thier family life, and other inner struggles with yourself and the band.

Of course i am hating the fan service though i mean at this point it is getting just worse and worse, and the fact they only have one song is bugging me a bit. there is a lot of stuff they do I think they should have cut out and it would be ten times better then it is.
Feb 5, 2014 10:45 AM
Feb 2014
redtailrav said:
Odd as it may seem, since I'm a middle-aged guy, I could relate to the ambush interview with Mayu! About 20 years ago I was a member of a local hardcore/punk band in a city with a very big scene. One of the hangers-on was a sociopath who took it upon himself to torture an animal and ended up arrested and on trial. This numbskull had nothing whatsoever to do with my band, didn't hang out with us or any of our friends, etc., but after his crime a regional tabloid TV show turned up at one of our gigs and began interviewing people outside and filming our set, plus the set of one of our brother bands. All the people interviewed, which did not include any band members, gave intelligent answers, and we thought nothing of it. So we were shocked when the lurid segment on the 'violent, fascist, hardcore scene' aired. This included footage of our band and audience spliced in with scenes of Hitler giving a speech!!! We ended up joining forces with our brother band and threatening a lawsuit. The only thing stopping us from giving the producers of this trash a 'blanket party' (wait outside the studio at night, throw a blanket over his head, and proceed to pulverize him), was that it would only have reinforced the false stereotype of 'ultra-violent' punks.

lol dude we all wish we had managers like Tange.
Feb 5, 2014 5:43 PM
Oct 2012
clayton19 said:
redtailrav said:

lol dude we all wish we had managers like Tange.

Indeed. Stage moms often play that role, and we know that Tange is going to have her work cut out for her with the Mayu situation and the I1 producer on the warpath (I am hoping that Mayu's friend is actually a friend and not a back stabber, but that possibility is very real). There are reasons why agents or managers can take their cut, there is a value they provide.

What is interesting about Tange isn't that she didn't have any talent, its that she had so much talent that left to move on to Tokyo, but who still appreciated her efforts (the songwriter duo).

This could indicate that she only has the capacity to take people only so far, but it could also mean that like talent, she just hasn't had the right break. It will be interesting to see which route this show is going to go with her.
Feb 5, 2014 9:47 PM

Sep 2013
rough ep >< poor mayu ;_;

i'd be lying if i said i wasn't curious tho
hope she spills the beans next ep lol
Feb 6, 2014 7:22 PM

Feb 2013
Interesting....excited for the next one.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 14, 2014

59 by Rakabat »»
Aug 16, 2023 5:59 PM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jan 17, 2014

107 by koneroko »»
May 2, 2022 11:33 PM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2014

100 by Serafos »»
Jun 13, 2021 9:20 AM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 21, 2014

40 by Serafos »»
Jun 13, 2021 8:40 AM

Poll: » Wake Up, Girls! Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 7, 2014

47 by Serafos »»
Jun 13, 2021 6:57 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.