Forum Settings
Forums

Why are all-girls Catholic schools a popular setting for yuri anime??

New
Dec 5, 2013 11:14 AM

Jun 2010
In my opinion, I think this is because Catholic schools give those vibes of pureness that is often associated with shoujo ai (though in many cases it's the opposite!!)
Well, the all-girls school is obvious, because there are no boys... but in yuri manga I often read things like: "These things really do happen in all-girls schools," or "The fact that I'm in an all-girls school doesn't mean I like girls" well things like that... and I have been wondering... do girls get in romantic relationships often in all-girls schools in Japan? or generally all-girls schools? I also find it odd that in some cases they act as though it is to be expected that a girl would like a girl in those schools... I don't think that's very realistic... like... how can they know that the girl they like has the same sexual orientation as them? Normally one would be a bit more unsure about this... @_@ wouldn't they? Well, um, I guess it's anime... it's set in a fantastic world... but that kind of kills the drama and it makes it harder to relate to...
Also, aslo!!! I think it's a bit weird to choose Catholic schools because... um, if these girls go to Catholic schools that means they are Catholic and Catholics are against homosexuality... so why would... a lesbian/bi girl go to a Catholic school...? Or is it all part of the plot to make it feel more like forbidden love?!?!?! But then again... they don't treat like "forbidden love" at all so that couldn't be true... Maybe that was how it was originated though... Like, I think it's bizarre to use a Catholic school as the setting for yuri when Catholicism is against it and plus the girls in the schools don't seem to give a second though to that... Um, like why do they not mind that they are in a Catholic school and what other people will think about them? and how come so many girls that like girls managed to reunite in the same place without planning it...? I'm always thinking it's too unrealistic and overused...
Anyway... I'm writing too much... what do you think???
Dec 5, 2013 11:27 AM

Apr 2007
I think there's some truth in anime here. There's an all-girls Catholic school in my majority-Catholic country that's kind of... well... full of lesbians. A popular newspaper comic strip writer came under fire for drawing attention to how hypocritical the school was for tolerating lesbian relationships among its students.

The school was outraged at the cartoonist for suggesting that was the case and threatened to sue him, but alumni of the school started speaking up and saying yeah, what the cartoonist wrote was basically true. It was a pretty big shitstorm, though. After 20 years of serialization, the cartoonist resigned from the newspaper his strip was published in.

(goddamnit i've had to edit this post so many times)
PondDec 5, 2013 11:36 AM
Dec 5, 2013 11:32 AM

Nov 2012
Just something you missed: Not everyone who goes to a catholic school is necessarily catholic.
Dec 5, 2013 11:45 AM

Jun 2008
In America for example....

It's because of the forbidden love aspect and because of the FAMOUS catholic school outfits.

I'm not sure about Japan, because they don't even believe in our lord and savior and they're a bunch of godless heathens.
Dec 5, 2013 11:47 AM

Nov 2011
Because at catholic all-girl schools, everybody, including the teachers, are gay.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Dec 5, 2013 11:51 AM

Sep 2013
Because it's ~forbidden love~
peeyaj said:
Fueille is a deconstruction of a decent human being.
Dec 5, 2013 11:53 AM
Jul 2018
Because Jesus was a lesbian.
Dec 5, 2013 11:57 AM

Nov 2013
Wasn't this thread topic brought up less than a month ago?
Dec 5, 2013 12:12 PM

Jan 2012
Because it puts things into a realistic perspective. The practice would be more common at an all-girl school since there is little to no interaction with the opposite sex other than the occasional staff that happens to be male. I've studied at an all-girl school for about two years, and during my time there I learned that things that are depicted often in media isn't a far cry from how it is in reality.

Yes, they do go insane over the sight of males, and they generally don't care what the males look like either, just the fact that they are of the opposite sex. As well as some of them committing sexual acts that most would assume they were lesbians. It wasn't common, but it wasn't that rare to find out that some girls were experimenting with each other.
Dec 5, 2013 12:13 PM

Mar 2013
what anime are you watching that takes place in a catholic school?
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Dec 5, 2013 12:20 PM

Apr 2007
mattbenz99 said:

Off the top of my head, Maria-sama ga Miteru is the only example I know of that's shoujo-ai and set in a school that's explicitly stated to be a Catholic one. I have zero familiarity with the genre, though, so there are probably more.
Dec 5, 2013 12:22 PM

Jan 2013
Why is this even a question?
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
And the best part is that no one can prove it wrong
The best part is that you somehow actually exist.
Dec 5, 2013 12:24 PM

Mar 2013
ona said:
mattbenz99 said:

Off the top of my head, Maria-sama ga Miteru is the only example I know of that's shoujo-ai and set in a school that's explicitly stated to be a Catholic one. I have zero familiarity with the genre, though, so there are probably more.

well i havent watched any of those shows so i guess that is why i didnt even know this was a thing
Just because you know how to use a torrent does not give you the god given right to pirate.

My actual list: https://kitsu.io/users/mattbenz99/library

check out my youtube channel for my review: https://www.youtube.com/user/mattbenz99

Dec 5, 2013 1:26 PM

Apr 2013
ona said:
I think there's some truth in anime here. There's an all-girls Catholic school in my majority-Catholic country that's kind of... well... full of lesbians. A popular newspaper comic strip writer came under fire for drawing attention to how hypocritical the school was for tolerating lesbian relationships among its students.

The school was outraged at the cartoonist for suggesting that was the case and threatened to sue him, but alumni of the school started speaking up and saying yeah, what the cartoonist wrote was basically true. It was a pretty big shitstorm, though. After 20 years of serialization, the cartoonist resigned from the newspaper his strip was published in.

Reminds me of St. Scholastica.

Dec 5, 2013 1:37 PM

Jun 2008
Catholic Lesbians are the best.

There's nothing hotter than girl on girl action in the pews next to a bleeding dude on a cross....

Yeah....spank that bitch with the holy bible, that's so fucking hot!

And maybe they could use all that holy water and....well, I'm going to stop here...
Dec 5, 2013 1:42 PM

Apr 2007
Hiryu12 said:
ona said:

That is St Scholastica.
Dec 5, 2013 2:49 PM

Apr 2013
ona said:
Hiryu12 said:
ona said:

That is St Scholastica.
Yeah, my cousin studied there and she can't believe the amount of "things" she have seen there.

Dec 5, 2013 2:54 PM
Jan 2013
Because it's hot.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 6, 2013 8:53 AM

Jun 2010
Xinisterad said:
Just something you missed: Not everyone who goes to a catholic school is necessarily catholic.

Yes, that's true ^-^''', there was even a character like that~
Dec 6, 2013 8:54 AM

Jun 2010
TheDarkLordOtaku said:
Wasn't this thread topic brought up less than a month ago?

Yes~~ ^-^
Dec 6, 2013 8:55 AM

Jun 2010
Hiryu12 said:
ona said:
Hiryu12 said:
ona said:

That is St Scholastica.
Yeah, my cousin studied there and she can't believe the amount of "things" she have seen there.

O_O
Dec 6, 2013 8:56 AM

Jun 2010
Ahri said:
Because it puts things into a realistic perspective. The practice would be more common at an all-girl school since there is little to no interaction with the opposite sex other than the occasional staff that happens to be male. I've studied at an all-girl school for about two years, and during my time there I learned that things that are depicted often in media isn't a far cry from how it is in reality.

Yes, they do go insane over the sight of males, and they generally don't care what the males look like either, just the fact that they are of the opposite sex. As well as some of them committing sexual acts that most would assume they were lesbians. It wasn't common, but it wasn't that rare to find out that some girls were experimenting with each other.

Oh... so it's true after all O_O... B...but do they just experiment or do they actually fall in love with each other???
FayliciaDec 6, 2013 9:02 AM
Dec 6, 2013 8:59 AM

Jun 2010
ona said:
mattbenz99 said:

Maria-sama ga Miteru
Strawberry Panic
Otome wa Boku Koishiteru
Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke wo
and others in manga~~~
Dec 6, 2013 3:34 PM
Photojournalist

Apr 2007
Because a majority of all-girls schools are Catholic. It is odd since an extreme minority of Japanese are Catholic.
Feb 5, 2015 4:12 PM

Aug 2014
because they have no concept of realism...

in reality, if a ton of catholic school girls were all lesbians that'd be a big deal. Even in Japan. No catholic school is gonna be okay with that stuff... Hell, I went to a christian school and they didn't even allow gay people in there. You'd get expelled for that shit where I'm from...

However, maria-sama ga miteru handled this issue very well with it's ambiguity and kept the relationships subtle and simple... it was believable.. Strawberry panic on the other hand could NEVER happen in reality.
Feb 5, 2015 4:47 PM

Feb 2010
nanoha does not take place in that setting so idk what your talking about
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Feb 5, 2015 4:49 PM

Aug 2013
Who keeps resurrecting these old yuri threads?
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Feb 5, 2015 4:50 PM

Feb 2010
waterfallsxo said:
not guilty its silversongwriter who is the necromancer here
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Feb 5, 2015 4:55 PM

Feb 2012
I know this is a necro thread, but there is like one actual full fledged yuri anime which takes place in a supposedly catholic school and a few that are hardly yuri (pure school life or traps/gender bender). I wish there was more.
Feb 5, 2015 4:56 PM

Aug 2014
again... I didn't know... wasn't paying attention when I revived this. Just ignore me
Feb 5, 2015 4:57 PM

Feb 2013
mecharobot said:
I know this is a necro thread, but there is like one actual full fledged yuri anime which takes place in a supposedly catholic school and a few that are hardly yuri (pure school life or traps/gender bender). I wish there was more.
from an above post:
Maria-sama ga Miteru
Strawberry Panic
Otome wa Boku Koishiteru
and others in manga~~~

which are you referring to?
Feb 5, 2015 4:57 PM

Aug 2013
hazerddex said:
waterfallsxo said:

LOL! I'm not mad like some posters get about this, I'm just confused!
PoeticJustice said:
nigga i am black, do you think my ass would fit in? "Oh look it is negro kun." Hell no.
Feb 5, 2015 5:05 PM

Apr 2014
waterfallsxo said:
hazerddex said:

LOL! I'm not mad like some posters get about this, I'm just confused!
It doesn't really make any sense really.
Feb 5, 2015 5:09 PM

Feb 2012
romagia said:
mecharobot said:

Maria-sama ga Miteru
Strawberry Panic
Otome wa Boku Koishiteru
and others in manga~~~

That would be Strawberry Panic. The topic is about anime, so that does not include sonohana nor any manga, which usually are random one shots that take place in normal city high schools. There is a hentai OVA of sonohana, but it hardly shows any school and no one in the actual vn series is posed as a devout christian anyway, nor is there any religious imagery in it. Marimite has one lesbian supporting character (and one homo too), but it's essentially a coming of age story of with girls friendships, about as tame as any standard slice of life anime. Otome wa Boku Koishiteru is trap.
Feb 5, 2015 5:11 PM

Nov 2014
Another Yuri thread??? jesus christ
Feb 5, 2015 5:12 PM

Feb 2013
mecharobot said:
romagia said:

Maria-sama ga Miteru
Strawberry Panic
Otome wa Boku Koishiteru
and others in manga~~~

That would be Strawberry Panic. The topic is about anime, so that does not include sonohana nor any manga, which usually are random one shots that take place in normal city high schools. There is a hentai OVA of sonohana, but it hardly shows any school and no one in the actual vn series is posed as a devout christian anyway, nor is there any religious imagery in it. Marimite has one lesbian supporting character (and one homo too), but it's essentially a coming of age story of with girls friendships, about as tame as any standard slice of life anime. Otome wa Boku Koishiteru is trap.
one day i will be a yuri expert like you, sensei!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you have ridiculously long ptw list? ( 1 2 )

Cammell - Yesterday

76 by perseii »»
4 minutes ago

» If you could change one anime into being a hardcore ecchi, which one would you pick?

APolygons2 - 1 hour ago

9 by Coaghim »»
4 minutes ago

» Why are modern anime fights so awful?

_Nette_ - May 7

47 by epidemia78 »»
5 minutes ago

» If you're going to name this mysterious character from an anime series what would it be?

Kiryotsu - 2 hours ago

3 by Zarutaku »»
10 minutes ago

» Have you ever got your anime/manga titles from recap videos on YouTube?

Kiryotsu - 2 hours ago

8 by BitChilly »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.