Forum Settings
Forums

I don't understand Yaoi at all, why does every guy have to be gay?

New
Aug 19, 2013 2:19 PM

Jun 2011
I couldn't care less if anime guys/girls actually are gay, it's just ... obnoxious that yaoi fan-girls CONSTANTLY make all male characters who are attractive gay for each other and you really don't see if half as much with yuri fanguys or fangirls. It's like, any anime or movie or really anything for that matter that panders to girls (either from a sexual factor (OMG HOT GUYS) or a story that girls can get into (strong heroine or just a cool story with either gender as main, but not a zillion girls with giant tits as blatant fan-service) has to be the guys are totally gay (it's stated that they're gay or they act gay).
Again, I have zero problem if they're actually gay and it's stated in the media form they're presented in, but why the hell is it that every attractive guy or pair of guys HAVE to be gay? Seriously, not every attractive female is gay, so why do guys get this kind of treatment? And more to the point, this allows both guys to pronounce something as "Gaaaaay" and yaoi girls to squee over.... It's like a backhanded slap to the characters that are either clearly not gay or don't even show interest. I just don't get why if something is going to be fan-service or otherwise directed towards a female audience that they guys are gay by default by both guys (generalization, I know not ALL guys do this, but the most outspoken ones do) hating it because females get something for them and girls. It just bugs me that the whole yaoi thing seems to almost be a defense reaction so that guys won't hate on their shows and will ignore it instead because they can take solace that every attractive guy is gay. No one knows if the characters in Free! are gay (if anything Haru seems to be uninterested entirely and maybe even Asexual)

It feels like yaoi in general is so popular because who ever is shipping the guys together is basically thinking "I'll take that one and that one and now they're mine because they weren't paired with any girls" as opposed to actually being about homosexual relationships. Meaning, the whole thing is more of a confusing (to me anyway) straight female based fantasy projected on two or more attractive males. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it just seems like this is the case, since guys do the same thing when they tend to like lesbian pairings. IE the person is only straight for the wish-fulfillment of the viewer and gay the rest of the time. Kinda like the bad rep lesbian's get from lots of straight guys with "You're too hot to actually not be attracted to men" meaning, many guys along this vein don't think lesbian's actually exist and that they're just bi. It's kind of insulting to me. I know yaoi isn't as well, sexist in some senses, but often it feels no different.

Examples of characters that are either clearly not gay, or even if they are, are paired up with people that they'd never go for or in reality it's never revealed what their preference is and there is no obvious homoerotiscim between said pairs.
Izaya/Shizuo - They HATE each other. It's even stated that Shizuo just wants Izaya to leave him alone and Izaya has a complex with him because he views him as less then human
L and Light - They're at complete odds with each other. Yes, the symbolic feet cleaning scene. Still it's not like they were even close to each others faces. Light does not care what happens to L he only wants to destroy him.
The entire cast of Hetalia - Just because it's a mostly male cast, they're all gay now? I'm gonna say that any time there is a mostly female cast. They're all lesbian, because logic.
Naruto - Plenty of females and plenty of guys yet because a rather one sided bromance exists, they're totally gay. Wut? Hasn't Naruto been shown to be probably straight (or at least bi) more then 20+ times in the series? Yes he kissed Sasuke, because fan service and because it was hilarious. That doesn't equal Naruto gay. Girls and guys can kiss the same sex and not be gay. They're more likely to be bi, sure, but plenty of real life people have experimented to find out what they are.

I get that shipping is to each their own, but holy hell the yaoi fandom dominates absolutely every single anime that has attractive males no matter what either obvious or totally ambiguous sexuality they have been shown to portray.

Sorry, lots of ranting. I'm just incredibly sick of hearing "GAY" from both genders whenever a anime/manga/movie or anything comes out that has attractive males and I wonder what the thinking behind girls who like the idea of gay men is.
Maybe I have a craptastic gaydar, but there were very few if any moments that I felt that these characters are remotely gay or that their sexual preference was even alluded to.

What do you guys think? Can anyone explain why yaoi comes across this way? Or yaoi fan-girls, can you explain why you like yaoi? I'm so confused on it. I don't hate it, but I don't get it either and sometimes find it offensive towards genuine homosexual relationships.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 19, 2013 2:23 PM

Jan 2013
tl;dr haha
but yeah, recently I was read love stage. first time reading BL stuff (doesnt feel like it tho since main guy is a like trap).
but yeah I saw unnecessary gay moments in their like wtf, how, when, what ?

Aug 19, 2013 2:29 PM

Dec 2011
Uhh, because the target audience for yaoi mainly wants to see yaoi content? Why do characters keep fucking in hentai?
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
Aug 19, 2013 2:29 PM

Apr 2013
It makes sense if you don't think about it.
Aug 19, 2013 2:35 PM

Aug 2012
Why are ecchi anime overloaded with tits and panty shots? Why do harems have so many girls falling for one guy for no reason?
Eckilsax said:
Uhh, because the target audience for yaoi mainly wants to see yaoi content? Why do characters keep fucking in hentai?
Basically this.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.
Aug 19, 2013 2:36 PM

May 2012
For the same reason why yuri fans have to ship probably-straight girls together. Because it appeals to them. Duh. Besides, shipping fictional characters in general is pretty stupid tbh.

Aluysione said:
Girls and guys can kiss the same sex and not be gay

But it usually means they are, because otherwise they wouldn't kiss someone of the same sex.
Aug 19, 2013 2:38 PM

Apr 2013
Eckilsax said:
Why do characters keep fucking in hentai?
why?
Aug 19, 2013 2:38 PM

Oct 2012
Eckilsax said:

He's complaining about yaoi fangirls pairing characters from anime that have no yaoi at all, not actual yaoi anime or manga. He listed some examples. Kuroko no Basket would be another example.
Aug 19, 2013 2:40 PM

Apr 2013
Kalypze said:
Eckilsax said:

He's complaining about yaoi fangirls pairing characters from anime that have no yaoi at all, not actual yaoi anime or manga. He listed some examples. Kuroko no Basket would be another example.

Again, it's obvious. They fantasize about them and I guess gay people turn them on.
Aug 19, 2013 2:41 PM

Dec 2011
Kalypze said:
Eckilsax said:

Well the title is very misleading then. I see what he's saying now, he's talking about fictional yaoi pairings. Who really gives a shit? Stop talking to so many yaoi-fangirls then.
Aug 19, 2013 2:41 PM

Sep 2012
Eckilsax said:

But he's talking about fangirls shiping straight dudes from any anime. Like the dudes from Death Note.
What I believe the OP is trying to say is: Why fangirls want to turn all guys into gays?
And well, I don't fucking know why either.
Aug 19, 2013 3:20 PM

Aug 2011
Everyone has their own reasons for pairing two guys together. Maybe they think the guys look hot together or would make a good couple.

Why do you even need an explanation? It's just pairing fictional characters they're not hurting anyone.
Aug 19, 2013 3:22 PM

Jun 2013
Why is this even a question? Shipping is fun. It doesn't have to agree with what's canon.
Aug 19, 2013 3:22 PM
Jul 2012
Cupquake said:
It makes sense if you don't think about it.
Cupquake said:
Kalypze said:
Eckilsax said:

Again, it's obvious. They fantasize about them and I guess gay people turn them on.

This is what I think about.
Aug 19, 2013 3:24 PM

Jan 2012
CronaTheWeapon said:
Why is this even a question? Shipping is fun. It doesn't have to agree with what's canon.

how is shipping fun?is this like a girl thing?see this is why you don't see many womens in the jobs areas that require a brain
Aug 19, 2013 3:25 PM

Apr 2013
renders said:
CronaTheWeapon said:

how is shipping fun?is this like a girl thing?see this is why you don't see many womens in the jobs areas that require a brain

Hey, hey, hey...getting a little sexist there.
Aug 19, 2013 3:26 PM

Jan 2012
Cupquake said:
renders said:
CronaTheWeapon said:

I just tell them like I see them
I can go deeper but then I would really sound sexist
Aug 19, 2013 3:28 PM

Dec 2011
Dig a deeper hole, please.
Aug 19, 2013 3:30 PM

Jun 2013
renders said:
Cupquake said:
renders said:
CronaTheWeapon said:

So you took Shipping is fun, ran with it and somehow got to all women are dumb. I feel like you're just looking for an excuse to be a sexist prick, here.
Aug 19, 2013 3:31 PM

Jan 2012
CronaTheWeapon said:
renders said:
Cupquake said:
renders said:
CronaTheWeapon said:

So you took Shipping is fun, ran with it and somehow got to all women are dumb. I feel like you're just looking for an excuse to be a sexist prick, here.

conflict of interests
Aug 19, 2013 3:34 PM

Mar 2011
Someone needs to learn how to get to the point, I nearly tl;dr that post.
Anyway, people will ship what they want. There are plenty of yaoi and yuri ships of officially straight characters, but it's not like any of those affect the show for you.
Aug 19, 2013 4:45 PM
Aug 2011
Aluysione said:
you really don't see if half as much with yuri fanguys

It's because the fanguys are too busy fapping.
Aug 19, 2013 4:49 PM

Nov 2011
CronaTheWeapon said:

It seems you haven't met renders before.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Aug 19, 2013 5:04 PM

Jun 2007
kstadtfeld said:
Why do you even need an explanation? It's just pairing fictional characters they're not hurting anyone.
Tell that to male cosplayers dressed as certain characters who get mobbed or harassed by fangirls at cons.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but not their own facts.

Everything that connects to MAL
Aug 19, 2013 5:10 PM

Dec 2012
Zalis said:
kstadtfeld said:
Tell that to male cosplayers dressed as certain characters who get mobbed or harassed by fangirls at cons.

Part of it is their fault for 1. Dressing like that and 2. Not expecting them to get harassed.
Aug 19, 2013 5:24 PM

Aug 2012
cyst said:
Why are there always shootouts and fights in action movies?

Why are comedies so hellbent on making the audience laugh?

Why are Yaoi themed anime so full of lesbians?
كنت تهدر وقتك عن طريق ترجمة هذه.

mattbenz99 said:
Christians and Satanists are technically the same thing
Aug 19, 2013 5:25 PM

Apr 2013
Goryo said:
cyst said:

Guys, enough with the rhetorical questions. I think we got enough of them in the first page.
Aug 19, 2013 5:35 PM

Aug 2012
Cupquake said:
Goryo said:
cyst said:

Guys, enough with the rhetorical questions. I think we got enough of them in the first page.

Why are you so lame?

mattbenz99 said:
Aug 19, 2013 5:40 PM

Apr 2013
Goryo said:
Cupquake said:
Goryo said:
cyst said:

Why are you so lame?

Because I broke my leg. You don't have to rub it in.
Aug 19, 2013 5:42 PM

Aug 2012
Cupquake said:
Goryo said:
Cupquake said:
Goryo said:
cyst said:

Why are you so lame?

Why are you trying to guilt trip me?

mattbenz99 said:
Aug 19, 2013 5:42 PM

Apr 2013
Goryo said:
Cupquake said:
Goryo said:
Cupquake said:
Goryo said:
cyst said:

Why are you so lame?

Wait, do you not get it?
Aug 19, 2013 5:45 PM

Aug 2012
Cupquake said:
Goryo said:
Cupquake said:
Goryo said:
Cupquake said:
Goryo said:
cyst said:

Why are you so lame?

Wait, do you not get it?

Why do you not get that I get it?

mattbenz99 said:
Aug 19, 2013 9:16 PM

Jun 2013
Zalis said:
kstadtfeld said:

I'm not going to justify that. I'll fangirl on my own, without harassing anyone. If someone has a problem with that well that's beyond my control.
Aug 19, 2013 9:23 PM

Jun 2012
You might want to look up the word fujoshi.
Aug 19, 2013 9:25 PM

Oct 2012
This feels more like a topic about shipping rather than yaoi/yuri itself...

I do agree that shipping is stupid, however.
Aug 19, 2013 9:37 PM

Jun 2013
You don't have to be a girl to pair two Anime males who are not considered homosexual. I'll shamelessly admit I did it sometimes, so what? It's not as bad as you're making it out to be, and to each his own, right?
Aug 19, 2013 9:51 PM

Jun 2013
MEanimaniac1 said:

No regrets.
Aug 19, 2013 9:54 PM

Jun 2013
CronaTheWeapon said:
MEanimaniac1 said:

No regrets.

He was a gentle man *sobs* Poor man!

It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Aug 19, 2013 10:15 PM

Apr 2013
parfaited said:
Aluysione said:

LOLed on this.

Look people can ship whoever they want. Fandoms will always be fandoms. Nothing can be done to stop it.

Aug 19, 2013 10:18 PM

Jun 2013
parfaited said:
Aluysione said:

Nothing wrong with rubbing one out every once in a while ;)

Aug 19, 2013 10:20 PM

Jun 2013
zdude18 said:
parfaited said:
Aluysione said:

It's fangirls like her that shove otakus into the "closet"

OT I find that it's fine for people to like what they like, but Yaoi is meant for girls to watch. That's the target audience, so it's not strange for guys to think that it's weird/bad/strange/gay It's just because we're not the target audience.
It's natural for a person to deny he's a failure as a human being. That's why he searches for somebody who is more miserable than himself. That's why so much animosity exists on the internet. Those who aren't able to find a more miserable person, turn to the internet and call other people losers, even though they've never met. Just to make themselves feel superior. isn't that pathetic? There's a sense of security that comes from speaking badly of someone else. But that isn't true salvation. — Tatsuhiro Satou
YandereTheEmo said:
The only thing more pathetic than quoting someone you know nothing about, is quoting yourself.
Aug 19, 2013 10:21 PM
Aug 2013
OMG ; i totally agree with you! Like they even pair siblings together, like Ed and Al! That's how much they want to pair two guys together. Just because two guys care about and want to protect eachother doesn't mean they're gay. Geez.
Aug 19, 2013 10:22 PM

Jun 2012
YandereTheEmo said:
zdude18 said:
parfaited said:
Aluysione said:

OT I find that it's fine for people to like what they like, but Yaoi is meant for girls to watch. That's the target audience, so it's not strange for guys to think that it's weird/bad/strange/gay It's just because we're not the target audience.

According to that logic girls should think yuri is weird/bad/strange/lesbian but I enjoy it as much as yaoi.
Aug 19, 2013 10:23 PM
Aug 2013
Edefrem said:
Anyway, people will ship what they want. There are plenty of yaoi and yuri ships of officially straight characters, but it's not like any of those affect the show for you.

Actually it might. I mean, what if the maker of the show decides to make them gay, just for the fanservice. ):
Aug 19, 2013 10:25 PM

Jun 2013
MEanimaniac1 said:
YandereTheEmo said:
zdude18 said:
parfaited said:
Aluysione said:

According to that logic girls should think yuri is weird/bad/strange/lesbian but I enjoy it as much as yaoi.

Did I ever say that every guy/girl would dislike the things targeted at them? That was not my intention. I was just saying that it's not strange to dislike a genre/find it strange if you're not in the target audience. I didn't mean to say that everyone who isn't in the target audience would dislike it, or that everyone of the opposite gender would find it strange or anything.
YandereTheEmo said:
Aug 19, 2013 10:27 PM
Jan 2013
mino-chaan said:
Actually it might. I mean, what if the maker of the show decides to make them gay, just for the fanservice. ):

Things I don't like, don't exist. See Tsukihime anime.
Aug 19, 2013 10:38 PM

Jun 2013
mino-chaan said:
Edefrem said:

I really can't see this happening.
Aug 19, 2013 10:40 PM

Aug 2012
Why...not?
Aug 19, 2013 10:47 PM

May 2013
What the heck do you mean?

That's what Yaoi is.
Looking for a character or a certain Anime/Manga?
Looking for recommendations?
Rie Kugimiya Fanclub
Aug 19, 2013 10:51 PM
Jan 2013
Diran-kun said:
What the heck do you mean?

That's what Yaoi is.

She's not complaining about Yaoi, but the community that will take any characters and ship them, regardless if it breaks the point of a character in the first place.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Why so much hate for Sousou no Frieren?

Gashadokur0 - 12 minutes ago

5 by Serafos »»
15 seconds ago

» Genre/theme you’re not interested in ?

Yonahim_Zz - Yesterday

46 by rho34 »»
2 minutes ago

» Spoiled by the algorithm

zaako - 3 hours ago

8 by Tsunamii_ »»
7 minutes ago

» the worst anime season

Autonomia - 4 hours ago

10 by BitChilly »»
19 minutes ago

» which anime character resonates with you the most? to be specific, who's your "literally me" anime character?

FruitPunchBaka - 2 hours ago

13 by Mishiia »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.