Is there stil hope for any shounen to > HxH 2011
Yes
69.6%
No
30.4%
135 votes
Aug 16, 2013 7:57 PM

Oct 2012
Hey all, just wanted to start a friendly discussion on your opinions and possible hidden gem manga that could get a anime adaptation that will beat HxH 2011 in terms of story, animation, and power structure.

I firmly believe that there wont be any animated shounen series as good as HxH coming out anytime soon, what do you guys think?

Oh btw you guys could also list some series that could get a remake like HxH, I personally believe that if One Piece was condensed and produced by a different studio it could stand a chance against HxH in terms of quality.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Aug 16, 2013 8:04 PM

Jun 2009
It's hard to top HxH.

Story = Arguable.(Hunter don't have a great story imo, the world building however, is amazing)

Animation = Yes. (With enough budget, it's not hard to top HxH in term of animation)

Power Structure = Hard. (It's really hard to find a more unique, insteresting power than those in HxH imo)

While Hunter may very well be one of the most interesting shounen atm, I don't find it to be totally amazing.

However, I do agree, that it's hard to imagine one that's better coming out anytime soon.

For this. I'm going to vote yes.
I still think there's more than enough "hope" for others to beat HxH.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 16, 2013 8:04 PM

Sep 2012
Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood already did it.
Aug 16, 2013 8:05 PM

Apr 2012
Litrydow said:
Aug 16, 2013 8:06 PM

Feb 2012
Mclovinballs said:
Litrydow said:
Aug 16, 2013 8:06 PM

Nov 2012
Not this again...

Wait isn't this kind of a recommendation topic?
Aug 16, 2013 8:07 PM

Jun 2011
The story is lacking and has reused many things from other animes so I think something will with time.
Why do you suck at life? Because you let life suck at you. Words to live by courtesy of Ask a Ninja.
Aug 16, 2013 8:12 PM

Oct 2012
Although I agree that FMA is really really good, it is not your standard shounen series as all the chars have different abilities and they dont even explain why they have those abilities whereas in hunter everyone has the same base if you get what I mean. FMA is also very plot and character driven so comparing it to standard shounen like Naruto/Bleach/One Piece is a bit unfair.
Aug 16, 2013 8:15 PM

Apr 2012
TokyoRyo said:
Although I agree that FMA is really really good, it is not your standard shounen series as all the chars have different abilities and they dont even explain why they have those abilities whereas in hunter everyone has the same base if you get what I mean. FMA is also very plot and character driven so comparing it to standard shounen like Naruto/Bleach/One Piece is a bit unfair.

Isn't better plot and better characters what makes an anime better?

Aug 16, 2013 8:18 PM

Jan 2008
HxH is just so enjoyable because people die when they're killed, abilities so fucking confusing you don't even bother to complain because you don't even fucking know where to start and bad ass over powered enemies that make you hard every time they blow someones head off.
Aug 16, 2013 8:33 PM
Oct 2010
JoJo and FMA:B did already. Those two are the best shounens.
Aug 16, 2013 8:35 PM

Nov 2010
skudoops said:
Maybe if JoJo gets more seasons. The first two were good but not great.
Aug 16, 2013 8:36 PM

Feb 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
skudoops said:
In a few seasons it will easily surpass hxh.
Aug 16, 2013 8:37 PM

Mar 2011
Naruto
What do you think you're piloting? Great Mazinger? Dangaioh? For Pete's sake, this isn't some robot cartoon whose main character is an autistic kid or some punk. - Kiichi Goto, Mobile Police Patlabor
Aug 16, 2013 8:38 PM

Jan 2008
IceBurn said:
IntroverTurtle said:
skudoops said:

Assuming it gets an equal or similar amount of people viewing it which I highly doubt it just because of how a vast majority of people choose to watch something based on visual appeal.
Aug 16, 2013 8:40 PM

Jun 2008
I've never seen or read Hunter X hunter.

Is it any good?
Aug 16, 2013 8:41 PM

Feb 2012
Paul said:
IceBurn said:
IntroverTurtle said:
skudoops said:

Assuming it gets an equal or similar amount of people viewing it which I highly doubt it just because of how a vast majority of people choose to watch something based on visual appeal.
Jojo BD solD like hell, the studio has enough money to make it visually appealing. But were deciding what show is better based on popularity now.

^It's one the best anime out there.
Aug 16, 2013 8:41 PM

Jan 2013
BlindSamurai said:
Mokkan said:
IceBurn said:
Mclovinballs said:
Litrydow said:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 16, 2013 8:43 PM

Jan 2008
IceBurn said:
Paul said:
IceBurn said:
IntroverTurtle said:
skudoops said:

Jojo BD solD like hell, the studio has enough money to make it visually appealing. But were deciding what show is better based on popularity now.

^It's on the best anime out there.

I believe you're speaking of Japan's BD sales, I'm talking about everyone, not just Japan.
Aug 16, 2013 8:48 PM

Feb 2012
Paul said:
IceBurn said:
Paul said:
IceBurn said:
IntroverTurtle said:
skudoops said:

I believe you're speaking of Japan's BD sales, I'm talking about everyone, not just Japan.
Im not talking about popularity, im talking about how the series visuals will drastically improve.
Aug 16, 2013 8:48 PM

Sep 2012
nope cause Kurapika is too much of a bamf to let another show do that
Aug 16, 2013 8:49 PM

Oct 2012
JustALEX said:
I've never seen or read Hunter X hunter.

Is it any good?

If you dont mind watching shounen it is highly addictive and easy to marathon if you have the time. :D
Aug 16, 2013 8:52 PM

Jan 2008
IceBurn said:
Paul said:
IceBurn said:
Paul said:
IceBurn said:
IntroverTurtle said:
skudoops said:

Im not talking about popularity, im talking about how the series visuals will drastically improve.

As in the HD and animation quality? Sure it good quality already, I haven't seen the entire series yet but I plan to later. But the issue I'm talking about is the character design when it comes to the visuals. People really nitpick about it and based on my time in the recommendation section, Jojo's character design doesn't appeal to as many people as something like Hunter x Hunter would.
Aug 16, 2013 8:54 PM

Feb 2012
Paul said:
IceBurn said:
Paul said:
IceBurn said:
Paul said:
IceBurn said:
IntroverTurtle said:
skudoops said:

As in the HD and animation quality? Sure it good quality already, I haven't seen the entire series yet but I plan to later. But the issue I'm talking about is the character design when it comes to the visuals. People really nitpick about it and based on my time in the recommendation section, Jojo's character design doesn't appeal to as many people as something like Hunter x Hunter would.
I agree, Jojo has GAR character art style, sure it wont surpass HXH in popularity, you know if you judging a series on how popular it is.
Aug 16, 2013 10:18 PM

Aug 2013
It'll be really hard. Hunter X Hunter is so underrated.
Aug 16, 2013 10:48 PM

Jun 2010
One Piece. Nuff said.
Aug 16, 2013 10:49 PM

Apr 2011
Yes, it's called Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen.
Aug 17, 2013 4:06 AM

Apr 2012
A better shounen anime than the anime that I dropped during its Opening cause I couldnt stand the notion of an 2 feet tall kid jumping around like a rubber ball?
Pretty sure it already exists and what comes to mind immediately sould be GTO, cause I prefer my mcs to be taller than 2 feet.

Edit: And I guess you cant exactly choose GTO as a shounen so I would definetly go for Claymore then. Best shounen out there.
Aug 17, 2013 4:10 AM

Apr 2011
HxHJosh said:
It'll be really hard. Hunter X Hunter is so underrated.

HxH is underrated? Since when? It's under-heard of since Togashi likes to play too much Dragon Quest and neglects on releasing his manga. Well, I guess it could be worse (Berserk).
Aug 17, 2013 4:11 AM

Jan 2013
Hunter x Hunter is an anime that runs in 1080p but looks like it was drawn in 1994.

Call me a moefag or whatever, but my god is the art in HxH horrible.

Its literally so bad I can't watch the show.

Also if SnK anime gets a second season it will demolish all other shounen.
Aug 17, 2013 4:18 AM

Sep 2009
SolviteSekai said:
Hunter x Hunter is an anime that runs in 1080p but looks like it was drawn in 1994.

Have you heard of different styles of animation >.>
Animation is perfect, its just character designs that you haven't seen before because not the same house produces all the anime...
Aug 17, 2013 4:19 AM

Jul 2012
SolviteSekai said:

This ^ even though kinda hard since FMA is still goin' strong.

Hisio said:
Have you heard of different styles of animation >.>
Animation is perfect, its just character designs that you haven't seen before because not the same house produces all the anime...

He didn't say anything about the animation. The artstyle is truly just horrible. It should have been updated since this is a reboot, but nope, too much work for that.
I like some character designs, but even the fanarts are better then actual thing.
So, What do you think is on the other side?
Aug 17, 2013 4:35 AM

Apr 2011
SolviteSekai said:

SnK can't even touch HxH and RuroKen's feet. In terms of comparison, it's barely a toddler compared to HxH and RuroKen (which would be considered adults). And that's without taking the non-battle shonens into consideration.
Aug 17, 2013 4:51 AM

Jul 2012
yhunata said:
SolviteSekai said:

SnK can't even touch HxH and RuroKen's feet. In terms of comparison, it's barely a toddler compared to HxH and RuroKen (which would be considered adults). And that's without taking the non-battle shonens into consideration.

Yes because, overpowered 12 years old with one being someone who has no motive, a guy who's searching for an overpowered father while being overpowered who keep's finding the greatest people RANDOMLY in his road that will always let him live, and as he said 'they're sooo gentle!!!' is obviously wayyy better than the survival of humanity against an enemy that they have no chance against even with Eren's 'gift' and the mystery behind finding what created all of this.
You could say chimera ant is a similar case. But seems like they're picking the easy way out. I'm not saying I do not enjoy HxH. It is/was one of my favourites until I read all of Shingeki who's btw written by someone who actually tries EVERY month instead of slacking.
You'll see the ending of HxH, and then the ending of Shingeki, compare.
The emotional moments of course are gonna be stronger on HunterHunter because of the 90 episodes. it should also be mentioned that the strategic ~moments~ on both of them are strong, they know how to handle fights in the most intelligent way possible which always reminds me of my other favourite shounen FMA.
UnchouAug 17, 2013 4:55 AM
Aug 17, 2013 5:00 AM

Apr 2011
Unchou said:
yhunata said:
SolviteSekai said:

Yes because, overpowered 12 years old with one being someone who has no motive, a guy who's searching for an overpowered father while being overpowered who keep's finding the greatest people RANDOMLY in his road that will always let him live, and as he said 'they're sooo gentle!!!' is obviously wayyy better than the survival of humanity against an enemy that they have no chance against even with Eren's 'gift' and the mystery behind finding what created all of this.
You could say chimera ant is a similar case. But seems like they're picking the easy way out. I'm not saying I do not enjoy HxH. It is/was one of my favourites until I read all of Shingeki who's btw written by someone who actually tries EVERY month instead of slacking.
The emotional moments of course are gonna be stronger on HunterHunter because of the 90 episodes. it should also be mentioned that the strategic ~moments~ on both of them are strong, they know how to handle fights in the most intelligent way possible which always reminds me of my other favourite shounen FMA.

Shingeki has horrible twists which ruins it. HxH brings in common tropes, but the twists are handled well. Shingeki was great until that one twist which completely ruins the "survival of humanity".
Aug 17, 2013 5:07 AM

Apr 2013
Although great, I think HxH isn't quite as good as other action anime.
I loved some arcs and found others a bit meh, so that's probably why I don't consider it the best battle shounen.
If all the episodes were as good as the ones in the Yorknew City arc, then yes,to me it'd be almost impossible for any anime to top it.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Aug 17, 2013 5:18 AM

Sep 2009
Unchou said:
yhunata said:
SolviteSekai said:

Gon is not overpowered, on the contrary he always evolves throughout the anime and this is just awesome, how many times did he lose? a lot. He is all but overpowered.
If we want to compare to shingeki with a girl (mikasa) who becomes strong by "killing" someone and achieve physical improvement >.> and a guy who transforms into a titan just like that because they didn't have any other plot to counter the titans.
You will be able to compare SnK with HxH when Snk will build its plot around 90 episodes, just sayin :D
Aug 17, 2013 5:41 AM

Jul 2013
kanjx said:
One Piece. Nuff said.

I haven't watch HxH yet but One Piece is pretty damn good..
Aug 17, 2013 5:44 AM

Jul 2013
SharifEbeefE said:
BlindSamurai said:
Mokkan said:
IceBurn said:
Mclovinballs said:
Litrydow said:
Aug 17, 2013 5:54 AM

Sep 2012
I-I'm so confused, am I missing something here? I think the animation for HxH is just fine, is it common knowledge now that the art is bad?

But yeah.

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood just tops HxH in every aspect, but I'm still a huge fan of both.
Aug 17, 2013 6:23 AM

Apr 2012
FMA or Jojo's Bizarre Adventure may be able to do it.
But yeah, Hunter X Hunter is easily one of the best.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
Aug 17, 2013 6:26 AM

Apr 2011
Flume said:
I-I'm so confused, am I missing something here? I think the animation for HxH is just fine, is it common knowledge now that the art is bad?

The art in the original was horrible and the manga may just as well be called Doodles and Scribbles by Togashi. The 2011 one is fine though, I don't see much wrong with the art, except for when Hisoka goes into pedo mode.
Aug 17, 2013 6:34 AM

Sep 2012
If Hoshi no Samidare get an anime adaptation, I guess it could be up there with the likes of HxH and FMA. Also if One Piece gets a reboot, it could be a serious contender.

And I do hope that some other great shonen will be released in the future.
Aug 17, 2013 6:39 AM
Jun 2012
we need more shounen anime
Aug 17, 2013 6:39 AM

Jun 2012
Hisio said:
Unchou said:
yhunata said:
SolviteSekai said:

Well if Snk is a "toddler" then it must be way better than I though. Just look at its score on MAL alone. If its already at this level in the first season then HxH has no chance against it.
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

Aug 17, 2013 6:49 AM

Apr 2011
Fallenkingzero said:
yhunata said:
SolviteSekai said:

Well if Snk is a "toddler" then it must be way better than I though. Just look at its score on MAL alone. If its already at this level in the first season then HxH has no chance against it.

SnK is heavily overrated, probably the most overrated in the site.
Aug 17, 2013 6:51 AM

Jul 2012
yhunata said:
Unchou said:
yhunata said:
SolviteSekai said:

Shingeki has horrible twists which ruins it. HxH brings in common tropes, but the twists are handled well. Shingeki was great until that one twist which completely ruins the "survival of humanity".

The first twist of shingeki which was definitely a drawback for me did kind of bring me back from the show I'm not gonna lie, but it was definitely a way to reveal a bit of the mystery. I know it kind of did what you said, but at the same time people STILL die, characters that you might like throughout the run still get cold deaths. From then on all the twists are handled VERY well, to the point of I went HOLY shit on everything that was happening one thing after another, they used the environment, which is really a plus, since it gives you an idea of where exactly the scene is placed as well as making the action scene 10 times better. Plus the mystery drives you along the story since the fact that the titans are so overpowered and humanity stands no chance against them and will still be getting killed for years if they're not absolutely exterminated makes you want to learn more and more about them.
Whereas in HunterHunter its almost obvious that even if Gon and Killua lose, they'll never be killed, because by some luck, the people they're gonna fight are gonna go lightheart mode and give them time to train.
Aug 17, 2013 6:53 AM
Jun 2012
what's SNK?
Aug 17, 2013 6:55 AM

Aug 2012
TokyoRyo said:
Hey all, just wanted to start a friendly discussion on your opinions and possible hidden gem manga that could get a anime adaptation that will beat HxH 2011 in terms of story, animation, and power structure.

I firmly believe that there wont be any animated shounen series as good as HxH coming out anytime soon, what do you guys think?

Oh btw you guys could also list some series that could get a remake like HxH, I personally believe that if One Piece was condensed and produced by a different studio it could stand a chance against HxH in terms of quality.

One Piece did it.
FMA:B did it.
Inuyasha did it.
Code Geass did it.

Er
Aug 17, 2013 6:56 AM

Jan 2012
I dunno how to break this to you kid but one piece tops hunter x hunter
in terms of battle shounen
1.one piece
2.hunter x hunter
3. pick one
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Hunter x Hunter (2011) came out 10 years after the original series. What are the chances we get a remake this year? 2011 version ended in Sep 2014 ( 1 2 )

animeboilolz - Apr 23

63 by Timeline_man »»
56 minutes ago

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 117 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Feb 18, 2014

238 by mrymtrisyia78910 »»
Yesterday, 1:55 PM

Poll: » Who is your Favourite character?

PushedCaraway - Mar 29

45 by PushedCaraway »»
Yesterday, 11:22 AM

» Is Hisoka a fraud?

Leon888 - Nov 22, 2023

43 by Angra_Shadow »»
Apr 23, 5:18 AM

Poll: » Hunter x Hunter (2011) Episode 135 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2014

876 by red-tomato »»
Apr 21, 3:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.