Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Sep 23, 2013 3:32 PM
Apr 2010
Its some time ago i saw the series but i remember that rena killed before. Even before Keiichi moved to the village.
And they mention that they did prevent the outbreak, at some point. So i think its after the series.
maybe that explains a little why they are not so hesitant to kill.

Still it feels very rushed. I wished they had taken more time to unfold the hole thing and show more of the change from normal to insane.
Sep 23, 2013 4:19 PM

Jan 2012
Any info about next ova??

Cause it somewhat seems to be the only episode.
Sep 23, 2013 5:10 PM

Aug 2013
I love how nobody questions why Rika's voice suddenly drastically drops.

But I liked it quite a it, and I found that this was probably the best way to end this amazing series. It ties so much up in the end and explains really everything that was left unanswered at the end of Kai.

Also this episode shows just how scary Rena can be.
"Canaan. You're a victim whose past was taken away by war. And she's a defeated person who lost her past in a power struggle. Soldiers who are born within destruction take hatred as their weapon. Even though you and her became soldiers for the same reason, you both live differently. Listen Canaan, you cannot counter hatred with hatred... ever." -Siam, Canaan
Sep 23, 2013 5:29 PM

Jan 2010
DarkSageRK said:
If you're gonna drop it anyway, skip to the last ten minutes. There's a relatively important scene that

Any chance you'd be willing to expand on this? I'm trying to put it together in my head, but it's a tenuous connection at best unless I'm just missing something really obvious.
Sep 23, 2013 6:08 PM

Nov 2009
Daverost said:
DarkSageRK said:
If you're gonna drop it anyway, skip to the last ten minutes. There's a relatively important scene that

Any chance you'd be willing to expand on this? I'm trying to put it together in my head, but it's a tenuous connection at best unless I'm just missing something really obvious.

I didn't seen anything more then usually staff (like those shown in Higurashi Rei), but it might be I've missed something due to lack of knowledge (haven't read past 4th vol of Umineko manga).

Hmm why does it have a ? on the episode count? Will there be more?!

I wonder if this is a World where there was no Takano (Season 2 Higurashi spoiler:
).
Sep 23, 2013 6:15 PM

Jul 2013
moonkingdomify said:
I love how nobody questions why Rika's voice suddenly drastically drops..

fairly certain it does this a lot through out the entire series. Rika is hundreds of years old and when she speaks seriously her voice has always taken that tone. lel.
Sep 23, 2013 6:25 PM

Aug 2011
After adding in that global scale stuff in the end they better make it happen. It was really good though seeing this kind of scenario.
Sep 23, 2013 6:39 PM

Aug 2013
Damn, Rena is one crazy bit chh...
Sep 23, 2013 7:54 PM

Jan 2010
Ah. Well that was more or less the conclusion I had come to based on what you said, then.
Sep 23, 2013 7:55 PM

Dec 2008
DarkSageRK said:

Sure.

---
So I'm guessing this is the only episode? I'd welcome more, since in the end, it's still Higurashi.

Well, it had things I didn't like, others were decent. But, it honestly felt more like a "dream" and some of the characters felt OOC.

Best scenes were Rika's expressionless face when Irie shoots himself, and where she lets out a few tears near the end.

Also...Dat Dear You ED & Takagi <3
sarroushSep 23, 2013 8:01 PM
Sep 23, 2013 8:23 PM

Jun 2012
LevailRenn said:
Harii said:
The lack of realistic emotions was quite jarring; like Rena stating that they killed her father like no big deal and Keiichi's father letting his son go on a dangerous mission to murder people just like that. Because of that, none of those action scenes held any weight.

I agree. I thought it was strange that when Rena kills the first 2 people, Keiichi doesn't even look surprised or tries to stop Rena. He just watched with a blank stare. And it also seemed out of place for Irie to shoot himself.

- I only draw freestyle! -
Sep 23, 2013 8:37 PM

Aug 2012
AMAZING CAP, RENA IS THE F*CKING LAW!!
Sep 24, 2013 12:13 AM
Dec 2011
Rena's always been one crazy mother tucker.

I did notice something that got me thinking. Isn't there a lot of guns for this to be Japan? I didn't think about it at the time, but even Mio's air gun she carry's on her shoulder would be hard to get correct? Especially for someone her age though that just might show the pull her family has. But what about everyone else. I know this takes place in the 80's, but didn't Japan make their gun control laws stricter prior to the time this show is suppose to occur like sometime in the 70's. I guess maybe those people had them prior to that so they still had them? Just wondering didn't think about it when I first watched it.
Sep 24, 2013 12:17 AM

Aug 2013
As epic as it was, I had no idea what exactly is going on most of the time...
Sep 24, 2013 4:06 AM

Nov 2011
About the connection between the two shows (Higurashi and Umineko):

Also

dobbs said:
I did notice something that got me thinking. Isn't there a lot of guns for this to be Japan?

The guns were from the hunting association. Guns that are used for hunting are allowed in Japan, provided that they are either rifles or shotguns.
Sep 24, 2013 9:03 AM

Sep 2009
Hope mods would fix the duration. Outbreak was adapted fully. There won't be any more OVAs
Sep 24, 2013 9:13 AM

Mar 2013
Nachtwandler_21 said:
Hope mods would fix the duration. Outbreak was adapted fully. There won't be any more OVAs

Oh? Is that for certain? Was thinking that it might as well have ended with that one episode, so yea that makes sense then.
Sep 24, 2013 11:42 AM

Mar 2013
ka na ka na? *_*
EL PSY KONGROO!!!
Sep 24, 2013 11:56 AM
Jun 2013
meh.. even though Outbreak was adapted fully, I highly doubt this will be the last episode. I remember reading somewhere that the ending will differ from the original story.

They might continue the series with an original story, let's wait..
Sep 24, 2013 12:07 PM

Nov 2011
iampancake said:
meh.. even though Outbreak was adapted fully, I highly doubt this will be the last episode. I remember reading somewhere that the ending will differ from the original story.

They might continue the series with an original story, let's wait..

And you're sure that that that wasn't the different ending because...?

Unless you've actually read the original short story. In which case, I'm going to have to harvest it from your database.
Sep 24, 2013 12:08 PM
Mar 2013
I thought it was pretty good. If it's only one episode I'll be disappointed

I don't know why they don't adapt some of the other arcs from the VN or adapt the part where Mion goes crazy which is mentioned in the game's tips.
It would be a lot better
Sep 24, 2013 2:05 PM

Jan 2013
5/5 guys? You're mad.

Okey, It's a good OVA, but the original series is like 1000 times better than this.
But hey, It's DEEN, haha.

If they made an adaptation of Saikoroshi-hen... Or nope, better not.
Sep 24, 2013 3:06 PM

Mar 2012
I thought it wasn't that bad, better than Kira anyways. Like everyone said, Keiichi and Rena were kinda OOC but this is an OVA after all. Pretty disappointing if this is all there is to the story though.
Sep 24, 2013 9:10 PM

Feb 2011
DarkSageRK said:
Daverost said:
DarkSageRK said:

Sure.

If you lived in your computer, you'd be home already.
Sep 25, 2013 1:47 AM

Nov 2011
DoctorGore said:

Episodes 2-4 from Rei, in case you weren't aware.

And if they were to adapt something, it should be Onisarashi-hen*. It's the best spin-off story so far in my opinion.

*If and only if they don't fuck it up. In which case, I'll say they should stop adapting.
Sep 25, 2013 7:48 AM

Mar 2012
Is it me or the ED theme song sounds familiar?
i`ve heard this song before
Do you play Azure Lane?
Then please join my fanclub
https://myanimelist.net/clubs.php?cid=74907
Sep 25, 2013 8:26 AM

Nov 2010
This wasn't bad at all
You need some prior knowledge about this series though to understand things

Unless you like anything with blood flying around
Sep 25, 2013 9:34 AM

Jan 2013
Kousoku11 said:
DoctorGore said:

Episodes 2-4 from Rei, in case you weren't aware.

And if they were to adapt something, it should be Onisarashi-hen*. It's the best spin-off story so far in my opinion.

*If and only if they don't fuck it up. In which case, I'll say they should stop adapting.

But those OVAs are only a part of Saikoroshi-hen, I think.

And yes, Onisarashi-hen is the best spin-off so far.

What they have to do is a GOOD adaptation of, at least, the first episode of Umineko...
Sep 25, 2013 9:35 AM
Jun 2013
Zeta986 said:
Is it me or the ED theme song sounds familiar?
i`ve heard this song before

It's "you -visionen im spiegel".
There's a BGM on the Kai VN named you, which is an off-vocal of the ending.
Sep 25, 2013 3:40 PM

Jun 2013
Well I loved this one ^^ although it wasn't particularly good. It's pretty much just forced fanservice just as most of the other OVA's.

Thing is that I think that they actually could have made it Rena and Keichi's actions a lot more believable if they had killed of Keichi's parents before they start killing people. If both Rena and Keichi would have had to see their parents killed then I think they wouldn't have been as out of character since we already know that both of them are not too many steps away from psychotic killers xD I feel like this setup could have been made to work without losing any of the badass action and gore ^^
Sep 26, 2013 7:22 AM

Dec 2009
*Sigh*

Seems like this was only made so Higurashi fans would get some gore after the shit called Kira.

Nothing interesting, 2 teenagers beating up a bunch of grown up guys, oh and did i mention nothing interesting. And by god! No Takano!!!!

Major disappointment. I guess 6/10 will be a little overrating this one, but I'll give it that anyways since it's so much better than Kira.. But darn I am disappointed.
Sep 26, 2013 11:22 AM
Apr 2013
Come now... It wasn't that bad. Sometimes with Higurashi, it's all about the spectacle, although this is mostly with the first season. I look forward to seeing how Ryuukishi explains this if more episodes are forthcoming.
Sep 26, 2013 2:56 PM

Jul 2009
Dat ED
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Sep 27, 2013 1:41 AM

Dec 2009
wheresthehandle said:
Dat ED

By far the best part. So darn beautiful.
Sep 27, 2013 3:00 AM

Oct 2008
Was kinda meh.
It was unnecessary to begin with though. Higurashi was a great series, but it's over, Studio Deen should stop milking it I guess.
Sep 27, 2013 4:33 AM
Jan 2009
Do you know if there will be BD of this OVA? Or only DVD?
Sep 27, 2013 4:54 AM

Dec 2009
AkaiKyouma said:
Do you know if there will be BD of this OVA? Or only DVD?

I believe I read somewhere it's only gonna be DVD.
Sep 27, 2013 7:22 AM

Aug 2013
I'm eager to see where it goes now, the whole world becoming crazy has a world wide zombie outbreak kinda feel like resident evil so it should be a good survival story. Although the main reason I watch it is to keep the mion x keiichi ship afloat. I always saw Keiichi and Rena more as best friends or even siblings rather than any romance but Mion is perfect for him so they better throw in some kind of romance between the two somewhere, survival situations always bring out the love.

I also feel they are playing it too safe with the story, they should really throw a curveball. The nature of Higurashi leaves it open to have absolutely anything happen. Throw in some severe character developments and changes make it a progression of story rather than just keeping the characters the same as they have been in over 2 series and more mini series failing that just make Keiichi and Mion a couple for the love of Oyashiro Ive waited long enough to see it.
SpooksSep 27, 2013 7:35 AM
Sep 27, 2013 10:43 AM
Apr 2013
"Dear you" in the end, awww :3.
I fall in love with this show! There must be more "Higurashi" series.
Sep 27, 2013 3:15 PM

Jul 2012
Sir_Lexa said:
wheresthehandle said:
Dat ED

By far the best part. So darn beautiful.
Best thing about the OVA.

Really disappointed that it was only one episode..
Sep 27, 2013 11:52 PM

Nov 2012
My word Rena is badass! So this is the only OVA? Doesn't feel over at all, won't they continue it?

Sep 28, 2013 8:52 AM

Aug 2013
I thought someone said it would be three OVA's
Sep 28, 2013 2:06 PM

Apr 2013
Okay I lost my sh*t at dear you, I'm crying damn too much right now.
So it'll be only one OVA after all huh?
It was pretty good.
Sep 28, 2013 5:14 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Well, I hope they continue the story in the future.

For now, it's over. That's it lol.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 29, 2013 11:25 AM

May 2011
Ok, i am extremely disappointed with this OVA. When the fuck did Rena and Keichii become super soldiers? Whats with the pretentious bullshit about natural selection in the end? When the fuck does this take place, is it an alternate route in the VN or something? Where was the fucking atmosphere? God damn, at the least the ED song was good. 5/10
Sep 29, 2013 4:57 PM

May 2012
It took its time to finally be released and subbed but well it wasn't bad for the long wait! While it wasn't all that amusing the great and absurd action in this anime still impressed me! A decent buildup towards the end and somewhat decent concept surrounding the infection of a whole town by a virus!

In general a pretty decent ova but tbh I don't see where this ova fits into the main story...
Sep 29, 2013 6:55 PM

Mar 2011
Higurashi has so many seasons and side stories and what not. I think I've seen everything, but I'm still unclear as to what's going on here.

Is there supposed to be more OVAs or not? I looked through the thread but the answers are mixed. Should I be moving this to my Watched Anime or waiting for more stuff? Any more follow up stories, etc?
Sep 29, 2013 7:07 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
Tenshi9001 said:
Higurashi has so many seasons and side stories and what not. I think I've seen everything, but I'm still unclear as to what's going on here.

Is there supposed to be more OVAs or not? I looked through the thread but the answers are mixed. Should I be moving this to my Watched Anime or waiting for more stuff? Any more follow up stories, etc?

Nope. This is the end of the story. Essentially, it sets up a new storyline...

RockerXD said:
When the fuck did Rena and Keichii become super soldiers?

Yeah, it's kinda funny how they were portrayed here. They can annihilate 100 person strong mobs now.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 29, 2013 7:09 PM

Mar 2011
Thanks Wakka. But when you say it sets up a new storyline, are you referring to the fact that it bridges the gap between something that's already aired, or that something new will be coming out?

I've seen the series in its entirety as far as I know, but it's been quite a while so I didn't really perceive this OVA as being really relevant to anything.
Sep 30, 2013 7:42 AM

Feb 2012
Well, this OVA was a big disappointment for me. Even though it was only about 50 minutes or so, the pace felt wrong and I really didn't find it that interesting.
I haven't seen the Kira OVA, so this one might be better than the previous one, I liked Rei a lot more though.
What I liked was the fact that it was more focused on Keiichi and Rena, which I think is an awesome duo, and the ED song was nice. But overall, I can't give it more than 5/10.
Well, I guess I'm going to rewatch the first season of Higurashi...
The only thing you can rely on is that you can't rely on anything.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Horror?

ylight67 - Jun 14, 2019

2 by ylight67 »»
Mar 15, 2020 6:58 PM

» When is this?

WitchJacqueline - Nov 28, 2014

1 by TimeGoesOn »»
May 25, 2015 4:37 PM

» Higurashi Outbreak's supposedly ending

I_Am_Drunk - Jul 19, 2014

1 by Luna »»
Jul 29, 2014 1:13 AM

» So, who else is excited? ( 1 2 3 )

Katsuro-chan - Dec 16, 2012

121 by doyakubo »»
Jan 10, 2014 9:49 AM

» fansubbing group for higurashi kaku

741shadow - Aug 29, 2013

31 by bajin666an »»
Oct 1, 2013 9:39 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.