Forum Settings
Forums
New
What is the worth of Michiko to Hatchin?
It is made of excellence and deserves to be on our Enlightenment list.
55.6%
It is too unremarkable to be on on either of our lists.
5.6%
It is vastly overrated and deserves to be on our Relations list.
0.0%
I have not watched this series yet since it has Brazilian characters with Japanese names.
38.9%
18 votes
Aug 4, 2013 7:56 PM

Oct 2012
Michiko to Hatchin is now up for vote. Decide if it will forge maternal bonds with Enlightenment or join the circus of Relations.

RULES:
1. You can only vote for a title if you've finished watching/reading it. You must’ve read or watched at least 60% of the published content for unfinished titles. There might be exceptions for very long finished titles – they are decided on a case by case basis, but usually amount to more than half of the published content.

2. Write your vote at the very top of your comment.

3. Below your vote, give a substantial explanation to back it up. It doesn't have to be lengthy; it just needs to cover the points you want to make.

4. If you have only read/watched the adaption/source material of the respective nominee, please state so in your post.

5. It will take a minimum of 5 votes for either Enlightenment or Relations to make it into any of the lists as an anime (3 votes for manga). If it fails to reach that, it will be deemed Unremarkable.

6. The votes for Enlightenment will have to outnumber the votes for Unremarkable and Relations for it to be included in our list; the same goes for Relations. If it fails to reach that, it will be deemed Unremarkable.

7. Behave yourself. We accept discussions and debate, not flaming and incoherent fanboy/fangirl behavior.

8. The fate of the poll will lie in the hands of the officers if it turns out that there are more first time voters than regulars or the series cannot be gauged by both voting and discussions.

This polling process will last 7 days. BEGIN!!!!!!!!
Ducat_RevelAug 11, 2013 9:40 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Aug 4, 2013 7:57 PM

Oct 2012
Option 1 (spoilers ahead)

I nominated this show, so my vote is pretty obvious.

This show is Samurai Champloo done right.

While still being an episodic anime about people looking for a missing father, Michiko to Hatchin never loses its meaning. The episodes continue building its character relationships (especially with Hana and Michiko.) With each passing episode, their bonds become more maternal, teaching Michiko what responsibility really is. By the ending, their initial goal becomes secondary because they found something more important than a neglectful father, they found each other.

These two girls make for two of the stronger female characters in current anime. Hana is mature for her age, complaining when complaint was due, and capable of taking care of herself if needed. Everything about her makes sense. Michiko on the other hand is impulsive and slightly childish. But takes on the role of Hana's mom with a fiery resolve. She's the strong willed female you'd read in Latin American literature (I'm thinking of Junot Diaz's The Brief And Wondrous Life Of Oscar Wao.) But she doesn't start out being all motherly with Hana, it's a trait that grows in her as each episode passes by. It's seriously moving, watching their bond strengthen.

The other part I love about this show is Satoshi Batista. OH HOLY FUCK is this guy amazing. Talk about a proper villain. He's the type of gangster you'd see in movies like City of God, a man who wants to overcome all his hardships and become the head honcho. His story is simply beautiful, you can feel the strength of his friendship with Hiroshi and the melancholy of his thoughts. He's one of the best gangsters in anime.

Now, let's talk style. This anime is brilliant in a colorful sense. The scenery is so vibrant, you'd think the slums were tourist spots. I love this. The ability to make such a dirty place look beautiful is a skill that shouldn't go unmentioned. The music is also fantastic, a total treat to the ears. Watching this show was so easy because of the atmosphere it presented, like its soul, was an eternal fiesta.

This anime is a gem. Strong female leads, a sympathetic villain, great character relationships, a meaningful plot, style with substance, and warm themes. Not inducting this show sounds crazy to me.
Ducat_RevelAug 4, 2013 9:42 PM
Aug 4, 2013 8:14 PM

Apr 2013
Option 1

OH boy, where do I begin with this little gem. Studio MANGLOBE has truly outdone themselves here and for a debut director it certainly invites a promising career ahead of her.

Michiko to Hatchin is... well, representative of everything that is uncommon but amazing about the anime industry, it has style, well written characters, a unique setting and a vast array of themes that are merely shown for observation without ever casting judgement on them, and whilst at times it is harsh it never forgets to be light-hearted in its ingenuity.
Following off with a blast in the first episode, the Cinderella-esque situation combined with a fast-paced gaolbreak and a dismally brilliant look at 1970s Brazil ensures that this series will be taking its viewers for one hell of a ride.

Its plot is also a high point to the series, though admittedly I was a bit put off at first with the apparent episodic style but the events that feature in the first collection of episodes were coming back to haunt the later episodes as the story continued to deliver, and boy does the show know how to wrap up the series. No plot threads left unresolved... excellent!

The characters, though being melodramatic to an extent still reflect the series general attitude and still receive a decent level of depth, and the fact that the characters are not obvious representations of overused character archetypes earns this series a good deal of points.

The music fits the series surprisingly well and with unique openings created by the revered Masaaki Yuasa, who wouldn't have expected less.

The show does have a couple of faulty points, where entertainment value can be somewhat lacking on occasion and at times you feel the characters make stupid decisions but they are few and far between. And on those stupid decisions rarely do they seem out of character so if anything, it helps benefit the series status as one of the greatest series of the 2008-2009 period.

A great show across the board, Option 1 all the way.
Aug 4, 2013 9:01 PM

Mar 2009
It is made of excellence and deserves to be on our Enlightenment list.

There will be last episode spoilers.

What a wonderfully interesting, unique, and quality piece of animation.

The men in this series suck, and this is actually a positive. It's not often that we get to see well rounded, realistic, and fuckin' badass female characters in anime. I despised, with all my heart, Hiroshi. I was hoping that he would get shoved aside in the end, but he ends up leaving Hatchin. What a piece of shit, but that's not the point. It is all about the adventure and how these two women with huge age gaps grow and learn how to get along.

This series is not perfect. There are some episodes that don't flow quite as well, and they feel like they may not have writing that is as excellent as other episodes, but these are few and far between. This was the one issue I had with the whole series. Maybe two episodes weren't phantasmagoria like the rest, but the others filled me ecstasy and delight.
Aug 5, 2013 12:27 PM

Dec 2012
It is too unremarkable to be on on either of our lists. (your vote)

I don't know what to say actually, like for example in other polls I know what I wanted to say and what points to mention. The anime is good but I don't think it's enlightening or exceptionally good.

Michiko and Hana are good characters but their relationship was tiresome at some points and it felt really repettive, it always worked in the same formula ( Hana doesn't trust her but then she does and in the end she feels betrayed by her which results in a mini tantrum and psychical confrontation between the two) it happened a couple of times. I didn't like that, I thought going through that once was enough, they should have focused on building their relationship in a different way or a different approach. The settings of the story is nice, going through different cities on south america felt exciting. The music and animation were great.

I dislike episodic anime because some mini arcs ruin my opinion of the characters or their relationship and some of them tend to be very weak in terms of quality and relevance to the main plot/goal of the story and this anime was no different, there were several mini arcs that I felt was useless, that didn't add anything worthwhile to the characters or their relationship not to forget that they just felt boring and outplace for the main flow/theme of the series. The main plot in itself is really not that impressive or interesting, it's fairly predictable and hard to care for.

To be complete honest, the main reason for me to choose option 2 is because of Michiko and Jumbo relationship. Oh dear, that's without a doubt is the worst thing in the anime. Their relationship was so incredibly stupid and cringe worthy, it felt really predictable how Jumbo always catches Michiko but lets her go. Even though the first couple of times her doing so costed her position and reputation..etc. But she doesn't seem to care for that or at least not that much, since she did it again at least four fucking times from what I remember. Their background story is hardly a good reason for her irrational behavior and illogical decisions. I honestly can't forgive that, it's just bad and lazy/stupid writing. The entire point of her character is to be a mere plot device. Their relationship could have been so much better but ultimately it worsened the show.

Overall great action/animation/music, decent characters and a good relationship between the two main characters. I especially loved the ending but in the end the main plot along with several episodes were weak. So option 2 , it is.
Aug 5, 2013 2:14 PM
Oct 2011
This is hard, but I think I'll go with 1.

I like to compare Michiko to Hatchin to Black Lagoon, 'cause from the way I saw it, MtH felt like BL done right. How? Well, it ended, does that say anything?Most notably is Michiko's character. She wasn't just a heartless badass chick with a tragic past, she felt real. She being swayed by a playboy portrayed that really well. The whole cast of characters in MtH is well developed, or at least the ones that played a big role in it, it had an ending afterall, unlike BL. The animation, art, character-designs, soundtracks and the whole atmosphere the anime had was refreshing, it had a feel of its own, and that's something I love in anime, something that makes it worth the watch, or at least checking out. What makes it hard for me to decide whether it's enlightening or not is that some episodes felt weak, but the feel the show is really memorable so I I'm going with 1.
Aug 9, 2013 5:16 PM

Apr 2009
Option 1

As other have said, this series is a real gem: A unique (but sometimes cliched) setting, great characters with realistic story arcs that end the right (and therefore not always the most satisfying) way, the great way the series uses its episodic nature to explore a good deal of relevant themes in Latin and South American states and ther great visual design all make for a very charming entry in our list. Especially Bastista, Michiko and Hatching stand out and the way the story develops and changes between story-relevant and world-building episodes reminds me not only of Cowboy Bebop but also of good Latin American literature (Ducat emntioned this already).
Sayo Yamatoto is known for strong female characters and unlike in Lupin - A Woman Named Fujiko the setting allows her to focus on her directing strengths (well, the fact that a certain other scripwriter is not participating here might help as well) and Shinichiro Watanabe is really turning up the style factor with his usual high quality work. Both display more a subtle approach in regards to their other titles, but the payoff is way better than usual.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Aug 9, 2013 5:30 PM

Dec 2012
Are 5 votes out of 6 votes in total enough to add a series to one of the lists? because that's a really low vote count.
Aug 9, 2013 6:20 PM

Nov 2011
If you read the rules you would know tsudecimo.
Aug 9, 2013 6:27 PM

Mar 2009
tsudecimo said:
Are 5 votes out of 6 votes in total enough to add a series to one of the lists? because that's a really low vote count.

Says the only one to vote against it. Hahahah. There's a huge majority lead right now; I don't understand your logic.
Aug 9, 2013 6:30 PM

Dec 2012
Umm, I'm not against it, I don't think I care enough to go against it. I gave it an eight. I'm just saying that not a lot of people voted, so this seems one sided. I know you can't force people to vote, so ignore my above post.
Aug 9, 2013 6:42 PM

Sep 2012
I believe five votes is the minimum amount for something to get on enlightenment or relations. You're right, it is kind of a small amount, but I think it's OK as a lower limit.
Aug 9, 2013 10:02 PM

Nov 2011
Some series barely skate by and repolling is annoying. 5 positive votes is not too little, especially with the scheduling and the amount of time we give and the fact that the rules make it so that option 2 is the easiest option to pass.

But serious, tsudecimo, go read the rules.
Aug 11, 2013 8:05 PM

Oct 2012
With 5 votes for Enlightenment and 1 vote for Unremarkable, I draw this poll to an end. Thank you for voting.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1162 by LeonhartAugust »»
May 13, 11:17 PM

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.