Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Aug 7, 2013 3:00 PM

Oct 2011
Whoa @ Hotei and that Tanuki. So he adores them and had a bonding moment with Yasaboro.

Could that Tanuki at the preview be their dad( flashback) or someone else ( Kaisei maybe)

Man I hope he changes their view on Tanuki.
Aug 7, 2013 8:06 PM

May 2013
Nice episode, love the development of the story. Its a bit sad others are underrating this series for me it is quite good for this season.
Tch.
Aug 7, 2013 9:30 PM

Jun 2013
This anime is fantastic.
Aug 8, 2013 4:51 AM

Jan 2013
leeo268 said:
So, should we still expect any plot at this point?
It is getting really ridiculous how the tanuki are literally waiting to be eaten.
They living like they are domesticated livestocks.
Considering their power, they can practically declare war on their predators and reclaim their digity. Pathetic..
Yasaburou is total opposite of Eren from AoT, instead of fighting back, he bow down and serve the people, whom possibly ate his father. No wonder he like dressing like a chick, because he don't have any balls.
Comparing Eren to Yasaburou, wha?

OnT: Really good episode.
Maybe the Tanuki in the preview is Yasaburou's father?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Aug 8, 2013 8:20 AM

Sep 2012
This episode provides enough hint about the meeting place of the Friday's club that I looked it up and found it is a sukiyaki restaurant (and later I found its name included in the ED credit). Cool.

Mishima-Tei
http://www.mishima-tei.co.jp/dish/en/
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Aug 8, 2013 12:25 PM
Jan 2010
leeo268 said:

So basically this is a story of how a sheep try to make those most out of his life before he reach the Slaughterhouse.

I don't mean that they have ton conquer Kyoto and create their own Israel. They just have to fight back enough to teach human how to eat them anymore. I am sure a little bit of revolt and terrorism will convince people respect Tanuki more and go buy some beef instead. More strategically, they can even impersonate politicians and other powerful people to change law into their favor.
I just expected the main character to do something by this point. Bowing to people that ate his father is just a new low of the year in anime.

I don't think humans are aware that the tanuki can shapeshift into people and/or are intelligent. Also there's a general reluctance to let the humans know they exist...which is a good idea in my opinion. Anything that the tanuki can shapeshift into can probably get shot down by a gun pretty easily. I guess they could try to turn into a politician and a make tanuki eating illegal. But a) laws take forever to pass and b) it'd have to be some elaborate scheme where they have to kidnap an existing politician and keep him somewhere. I suppose they can kill the guy but I think its pretty established in the past episodes that the tanuki are not capable of that kind of cruelty. They are a fun-loving foolish bunch who don't seem like the type to be able to pull off a grand impersonation scheme.

This is pretty firmly a slice of life type of series, you shouldn't expect huge sweeping changes in the world's status quo. If you want that, this isn't a show for you. This is very much about Yasuburo and the complicated relationships he has with the people around him.

As far as Yasuburo acting ambivalent around the people who ate his father...I'm sure it'll get explained better later. But as of right now, I think its mostly cause he knows better to get them upset. He's supposed to be there to entertain them or he'll run the risk of turning into hotpot himself. We still don't know the exact circumstances about his father being eaten either, because it looks like from the trailer, his dad willingly let himself get eaten. As for why he doesn't hate Benten...well, every episode is basically obsessing over how attractive she is. He's obviously attracted to her and the thrill of it. They have a history. Plus, if he starts treating her badly, she's going to eat him. -_- He can't really run away from her because she will, eventually, find him.
Aug 8, 2013 7:58 PM

Jul 2011
benten seemed sweet when she first appeared in the anime.
i wonder what caused her to become so ridiculous
she has some balls telling Yasaburou that she thought his "dad was delicious" and bringing up the whole situation casually
her character is frustrating to watch but she seems like she used to be normal
Aug 9, 2013 12:57 AM

Jun 2012
Great episode again. Even though there isn't a focus on the story, I still really enjoy it, the characters and all.

5/5.

Aug 9, 2013 10:50 AM

Aug 2012
that last scene was lovely, i'm interested to see how their complicated relationship is going to be..

still curious about Kaisei's physical appearance.. can't help but thinking of Kirino with that voice of her..

symbv said:
This episode provides enough hint about the meeting place of the Friday's club that I looked it up and found it is a sukiyaki restaurant (and later I found its name included in the ED credit). Cool.

Mishima-Tei
http://www.mishima-tei.co.jp/dish/en/

thank you

and still waiting patiently for a 3rd season of Spice & Wolf :'|
Aug 10, 2013 3:07 PM
Aug 2009
something is wrong, can't put my finger on it but something is wrong. When i watch it i get this ache in my head and i know that there is something. Maybe its because the characters lack emotions and reason. She Benten ate my father, meh. This guys eat out kind every eyear lets do nothing. *roboric voice* This five old guys are scary. Why ? We do not know lets tremble in fear or just stand there and entertain them. Why do we eat tanuki ? We do not know, just because. Do we have any power ? The power of madao.
idk. Maybe in some point we will se a big plot twist and say "Oh! Now i get it"
but now
now i feel tha character hollow, empty, lacking motivation, reason and emotions.
yes i think thats it. Hollow and empty
Aug 10, 2013 4:10 PM

May 2013
DearFear said:
now i feel tha character hollow, empty, lacking motivation, reason and emotions.

That would only IF there is no more plot that gives meaning to their behavior and I would be surprised if this is another evangelion.
Aug 11, 2013 10:47 AM
Aug 2013
DearFear said:
something is wrong, can't put my finger on it but something is wrong. When i watch it i get this ache in my head and i know that there is something. Maybe its because the characters lack emotions and reason. She Benten ate my father, meh. This guys eat out kind every eyear lets do nothing. *roboric voice* This five old guys are scary. Why ? We do not know lets tremble in fear or just stand there and entertain them. Why do we eat tanuki ? We do not know, just because. Do we have any power ? The power of madao.
idk. Maybe in some point we will se a big plot twist and say "Oh! Now i get it"
but now

Most humans don't view Tanuki as sentient, and the Tanuki really can't oppose the humans without revealing themselves and causing conflict. Their motivations aren't really relatable because they are those of someone lower in the food chain.

Most Tanukis are pissed but don't show it, even Yasaburo is to an extent, but his desire to live "an interesting life" by interacting with those who should even be his enemies. He's trying to understand various perspectives on the same situation and it all really comes together in the most recent episode, so I suppose I can understand the criticism up till now.

Though imo the show was still interesting enough while trying to figure out why the characters act the way they do. It doesn't have to be a big twist. Their emotions and motivations/emotions are subtler or less clear cut than in most writing I would think.
Aug 12, 2013 1:16 AM

Jan 2008
I can't take it anymore. FIGHT BACK, YOU MORONS!
I can't stand how he just accepts being eaten with no problems whatsoever, and how humans are assholes enough to just eat them anyway.
Aug 12, 2013 10:20 AM

Jul 2011
Onyxthegreat said:
I'd love to know the whole story behind The Friday Fellows and their 'tradition'.

this
Sep 1, 2013 12:52 AM
Aug 2011
DmonHiro said:

Not everything has to be a battle shounen.
Sep 12, 2013 2:00 AM

Dec 2012
What an amazing episode. I can't get enough of Benten.
Sep 19, 2013 3:09 PM

Oct 2012
Benten is so... mysterious and this mystery is very tempting and attractive in a way. Not that she isn't beautiful. I like her so much.

I see great allegory in all this.
People are eating tanuki, yet they are doing it mainly because of their tradition. But they are affraid to break this tradition because they would lose their purpose in life.
And tanuki are not even thinking about trying to fight back, they come to the terms with this state. Thez take death as one natural thing, they know it's the way of nature.
And in this coexistence they don't see enemies in each other, they respect each other. Symbiosis like no other.

This episode was so moving in a way, it can't be told by words.
Oct 20, 2013 7:52 AM

May 2012
Quite lovely episode, really like the development :D
Nov 7, 2013 12:22 AM

Oct 2012
Lol that Benten transfromation, she could a bit angry too sometimes
So Hotei is the person who saved Yasaburou's mother

To summarize it all : Humans are the scariest creature xD
"Signature removed"
Dec 19, 2013 7:27 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Interesting episode, the plot masconde still a lot of things and that in itself is exciting, but in addition we bring you the characters, with their wacky ideas enough to interest even more.
My guess on a possible love connection between Benten and Yasaburou becomes more and more real.
Yasaburo however, remains a fairly unusual character, manages to keep his cool despite being inisieme at the club on Friday, knowing that they will be his executioners in the future. The fact that you accept this condition seems reasonable to me, knows that man is at the top of the food chain, and I can understand her not understanding what he thinks Benten!
Drawings and animations good.
Dec 26, 2013 5:50 AM
May 2012
Ray_Light said:
Lol that Benten transfromation, she could a bit angry too sometimes
So Hotei is the person who saved Yasaburou's mother

To summarize it all : Humans are the scariest creature xD

Yup, Hotei saved Yasaburo's mother.

Humans can become monsters!!!!!

Yasaburo is awesome imo and Benten is so mysterious.

I did expect them to kiss in that final scene ahahaha.
Dec 27, 2013 2:48 PM

Dec 2011
parfaited said:
DmonHiro said:

Not everything has to be a battle shounen.

No, certainly not. There is something interesting going on here. I feel like Tanuki being another sort of creature maybe just naturally accept their fate a lot easier. But at the end of the day, the damn woman stared right into the poor guys eyes and told him how she ate his father and how good he tasted and how she'd eat him as well... Seemingly for no good reason (so far) other than it tastes good and that its a Friday Fellows rule. My question is, does the MC really like Benten after confirming this or is he just acting this way out of necessity? If it's the former, then I'm gonna be pretty turned off of this anime because that's just absurd.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Dec 5, 2014 2:42 AM

Feb 2013
I wonder how Yasaburou can stand being with the people that ate his father. I guess that one guy met Yasaburou's mother a while ago. I wonder why Benten is so insistive on eating Yasaburou. I wonder why she has to eat him. How about no, just no.

"so sad, so sad..." I wonder what is so sad. What is she thinking.
Feb 24, 2016 11:50 AM

Sep 2014
Benten-san is a strange character. I don't know weather she's good or bad.
Apr 29, 2016 12:38 AM

Oct 2012
well.

this got real deep real quick.

May 23, 2016 12:55 PM

Apr 2009
seeing that stew in the beginning,
i thought of the little tyke,
and how he might get caught,
then transform himself into a kid to try and talk them out of eating him,
then naughty things because- shota <D----

HOW CAN THEY ALL JUST ACCEPT ALL OF THIS AND THEN EAT THE TANUKI WHO LOOKS AND ACTS LIKE PEOPLE DX_?!!!!!!!
this is like a horror in disguise ;_;'!!!!

-this anime is so seriously fucked up, i don't wanna know how it ends ;A;'''!
KonaniMay 23, 2016 1:16 PM
I like to comment Episodes as i Watch them.
Jan 2, 2017 7:38 AM
Former AMQ God

Sep 2014
I like how nonchalant they are talking about ''being eaten''. When you look at this and think about it for one second, it's ''animals'' being eaten by humans. We are also nonchalant about this.

Benten is so, so interesting. I need to know what is up with her.
Mar 29, 2017 10:22 AM

Sep 2015
I'm still very confused. Since this is based on a novel I may be confused for quite some time in this series. I may be at least a little confused till the very end. But this episode gave us some necessary answers. About the nature of the Friday Fellows, about Benten and her motivations. But most importantly about that baffling tanuki stew. I guessed it was something like this but the tanukis accept that they are animals. They are below humans on the food chain. So one day they might be eaten. It's strange to accept given they have human consciousness and appear in human form most of the time. But I get what it's going for.

I really enjoyed the beginning of this episode. Benten cornering Yasaburo was like kind of a quick but very tense and well crafted scene. Her exposing him with the cigar was pretty clever too. Since we knew exactly what informed all this (the destruction of the tea room) it was like a nice exciting break from trying to figure this show out. I also guess at this point we may never see what Kaisei looks like. Not opposed to that though. It's a clever gimmick in a series about tanukis.

The bulk of this episode is introducing Yasaburo to the Friday Fellows. Not all are present, and most of our time is spent with a drunk professor who loves tanukis. And views eating them as an act of love which is strange. All the Friday Fellows were strange, that scene was very strange. It felt to me like a Terry Gilliam scene mocking the obliviously wealthy and elite. But for a culture I don't fully understand. I do feel like I have a handle on the characters purposes now though. Although not why Benten has joined them.

The really pretty animation of the episode, comes when Benten and Yasaburo ditch the party. After an airborne rooftop jaunt, they come to a secret bar. Which was very cool and felt like the kind of small whimsical touch you'd see in Ghibli. Throughout all this Benten expresses regret she will one day eat Yasaburo. While he reinforces his own reluctance by questioning why she feels she must east him. I find that conflict interesting and can't wait to see it fleshed out. Yasaburo understands his place in the food chain. And on the surface he's accepting of his lot. But deep down he clearly harbors anger and resentment over the state of things. And this will no doubt be a driving conflict throughout the series.
Apr 19, 2017 2:22 PM
Aug 2014
So the Friday Fellows recognize Yasaburo is a Tanuki and is sentient; yet they talk about eating other Tanuki like it's nothing. This isn't humans eating an animal, but another intelligent lifeform. And if that isn't strange enough the lifeform that is being eaten doesn't have any problem with it all. He just hangs out with them for a pleasant evening. If a I knew of a group of seven people that ate my father I wouldn't be doing that.

Afterall it looks like it's pretty much just these seven people that yearly eat Tanuki; no need for uprising against humanity. Just kill these seven.
Apr 27, 2017 2:06 AM

Apr 2013
Lorezhno said:
So the Friday Fellows recognize Yasaburo is a Tanuki and is sentient

Did you even watch the episode? None of them are aware Tanuki are sentient or that Yasaburo is one.
Jul 25, 2017 1:59 PM

Jun 2017
I've enjoyed this show so far but this scenario is really fucking disgusting, and as someone mentioned earlier more suiting a work of horror than anything else. There's just such a dissonance between the shows general style and atmosphere and the actual events unfolding that I honestly cannot enjoy this if they continue to play it this way.
Aug 29, 2017 5:29 PM

Feb 2016
Flawfinder said:
Yeah, I'm done with Uchouten. This show has been too much plot-hinting without any "actual plot" happening, the cryptic dialogue has started to become as irritating as Monogatari's, and the characters are not holding my attention.

I kind of feel the same, nothing happens, I am tired of watching this
Aug 31, 2017 12:16 PM

Apr 2015
Tanuki hot pot must taste pretty damn good if Benten is more than happy to eat Yasaburo for it. Though it seems like some of the Friday Fellows members eat it because it's a tradition that they just kinda started.

That one guy who seemingly just took a liking for Yasaburo for baring Benten's shoulder when he shapeshifted into her was pretty funny. I'm glad that we found out/got some backstory as to why he adored tanuki. Yasaburo's adorable mom could make anyone love tanuki.

"But couldn't you just not eat me?" This is a seemingly logical answer to me. How does Benten not realize this?
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Sep 4, 2017 5:08 PM

Jan 2014
This show is so good, I could just eat it up. Wait..

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Dec 6, 2017 7:08 PM

Mar 2015
Benten is definitely something else!
I'm Bruneian and I like anime. And Manchester United. And fat cats.
Dec 18, 2017 3:40 PM

Sep 2011
Fuck Ben 10. I was right to hate her from the start. I wish Yasaburou and the other tanukis just took revenge on her and kill (hell, even eat) her :'D But I guess this isn't that kind of show... I mean I know, it's the same with us, eating animals and all that, but at least they don't turn into humans :/

It's just sad because the show itself is pretty good so far, but Benten brings it down way too much for me :/ I can't believe Yasaburou is so friendly with her, accepting her as a natural part of the world. At least he would avoid her, but nooo, he even seems attracted to her >.>

On a side note, I can't wait to see Kaisei. She seems pretty interesting so far.
Apr 27, 2018 2:16 PM

Aug 2016
I'm really starting to hate that "i like you so much i could eat you" sentence
As a vegan the professor makes 0 sense to me, you don't eat somthing you love.
I'm really not enjoying this whole setup so far.

I get that there is a hierarchy of Humans > Tengu > Tanuki
So it is reasonable that the Tanuki are afraid of humans.
However the whole relationship between Yasaburou and Benten is just weird.
She literaly said to Yasaburou how tasty his father was, now i don't expect him to attack her, but atleast have a sign of anger or somthing.

Also if Yasaburou would be in his Tanuki form when they said he looks cute/tasty that would be fine but he was in human form when they said that wich was very weird.

"i like you so much i could eat you" i really hope there is some hidden plot meaning behind this that would make me not dislike this so much.

On a more positive note i really like both the OP and ED.
May 19, 2018 4:31 PM

Sep 2013
DawnJ said:
Actually, this episode was a bit disgusting. I'll look forward to further information.

I know I'm quoting a comment from 5 years ago...but still...I felt the same way. This kid is just sitting around casually conversing with people who killed, cooked and ate his father...and he knows he's next. I'm having trouble accepting that he'd be so nonchalant about it and that's ruining the otherwise chill vibe of this anime.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Mar 27, 2019 12:20 AM
Jul 2018
People are missing the point. They want this to be a one dimensional battle shonen. It's clear the show is going for a different take on the food chain. One of symbiosis as well as a nature that conflicts with humans' survival instincts. But the thing is tanuki aren't human so they can't have a human's surival instincts.

Right now I have the show at a 7/10. It's pretty damn good.
Feb 19, 2020 2:43 PM

Nov 2016
This episode was more straight forward, and it's amusing how nonchalant the storytelling is. Benten is still mysterious and this is definitely not your everyday relationship you got there lol, but I love it. Now I totally want to know more about her and the way tanuki perceive their role in this society.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 3, 2020 12:03 PM
Dec 2019
The argument that tanuki are similar to farm animals in this context is ludicrous. The nonchalant tone about eating them only makes sense when you assume humans don't know that tanuki are just as intelligent as them, but this episode makes it clear that they are fully aware of the level of intelligence of the animal they're eating. There might be a twist that explains these attitudes later, especially Benten's but right now this is a major plot hole and causes suspension of disbelief.

I don't understand how everyone is just as nonchalant about this as the characters are.

May 20, 2020 1:01 PM

May 2016
The story deepens a lot more I want to see, more side of Benten.
Jul 8, 2020 5:39 PM

Jul 2016
Yasu-kun said:
Great episode again. Even though there isn't a focus on the story, I still really enjoy it, the characters and all.

5/5.

I am ready for a story now though.
Mar 31, 2021 12:58 PM

Aug 2016
Man I hope MC doesn't let the professor know it was probably his mum.
I can see him showing his love for her by picking her for the hot pot.

FMmatron said:
This episode was more straight forward, and it's amusing how nonchalant the storytelling is. Benten is still mysterious and this is definitely not your everyday relationship you got there lol, but I love it. Now I totally want to know more about her and the way tanuki perceive their role in this society.

I like that thought. (the Tanuki's perception of their role in society) I'm was finding it hard to accept the MC doesn't hate Benten, but thinking of it that way I guess they accept their role in the food chain and don't think the same as humans.
“I just spent the last two years thinking that you guys knew more than me about life and I just found out that you guys are just as dumb as me.” “Duh-doy.” “Yeah, duh-doy.”
Jan 30, 2023 5:27 AM

Jan 2021
Interesting. Yasaburou comes to the meeting of Friday Fellows, which is the group that ate his father, and meets Yodogawa, a kind-hearted person who helped his mother.

So... he met someone who helped his mother but also ate his father there. Yodogawa really has the true nature of a human being.

I actually never really understood why, it's kind of like if someone has a rabbit/dog as a pet but they can still eat it out there.

I actually thought it was cool that Yasaburou almost always seemed calm in any situation. Even if he's not in a calm state, he doesn't panic or worry easily like Yaichirou, and he's also a brother that Yashirou can rely on quite a bit. I don't know if he was born with that nature or not, but I feel like he's a person who can actually stand up by and for himself and be reliable. His lifestyle does make some people "??" but I think that's one of the charms he has.

Sep 10, 2023 6:26 AM
Aug 2022
That's so fucked up. I can't relate to or understand the story in any way. I'm dropping.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 15, 2013

83 by blinddig »»
Mar 8, 1:54 AM

Poll: » Do you think the series will get a s3?

Vamp_Lord - Oct 28, 2023

4 by InNeedOfAName »»
Oct 30, 2023 6:30 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2013

104 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 10, 2023 5:25 AM

Poll: » Uchouten Kazoku Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2013

105 by i-loathe-sasuke »»
Sep 9, 2023 4:27 PM

» How can someone willingly eat someone they know??

Gilsaber - Jul 15, 2021

14 by JKKH »»
Jul 27, 2023 8:53 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.