Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Silver Spoon
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Jul 12, 2013 5:46 AM

Jul 2007
checked this out in case this was better than the trainwreck of a manga it adapts, but nope.

Same kind of meat-industry glorifying propaganda that misrepresents the gross practices that surround the modern day farms.

Same kind of one dimensional boring characters.

Same kind of badly-pacing nothing-of-interest-will-ever-be-there drawn out ''story"

Same kind of commercial setting of the most boring and generic industry in the whole world.

1/5 and rightfully dropped. Its depressing to see shit like this usurping noitaminA show which could have had so many other great things being aired in it.

P.S. setting like this would 100% work on if it was used to showcase the animal cruelty and gross practices that actually happen in farms like this. Watching lead character's "fantasies of farm life" being destroyed by actual gross reality would be fascinating. Sadly this won't go that way.
Jul 12, 2013 5:48 AM
Jun 2008
ahh..Watching this at midnight really makes me hungry .

The MC don't eat the egg when he knows it come from the butt.
I remember I stop eating century egg for a while when I realize they use horse manure to cover the egg for 30days... no wonder it taste so great LOL

The manga seems to be very popular for sometimes. I heard the manga before but I never had a change to read it.
MorningGloryJul 12, 2013 6:06 AM
Jul 12, 2013 5:49 AM
Mar 2010
It wasn't amazing but it was ok I guess.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Jul 12, 2013 6:28 AM

Oct 2007
Fai said:
checked this out in case this was better than the trainwreck of a manga it adapts, but nope.
Same kind of meat-industry glorifying propaganda that misrepresents the gross practices that surround the modern day farms.
Same kind of badly-pacing nothing-of-interest-will-ever-be-there drawn out ''story"
Same kind of commercial setting of the most boring and generic industry in the whole world.
1/5 and rightfully dropped. Its depressing to see shit like this usurping noitaminA show which could have had so many other great things being aired in it.
P.S. setting like this would 100% work on if it was used to showcase the animal cruelty and gross practices that actually happen in farms like this. Watching lead character's "fantasies of farm life" being destroyed by actual gross reality would be fascinating. Sadly this won't go that way.

You didn't read the manga isn't it (You don't have in you're list)? Or at least not a lot... The characters are not at all two dimensional characters! All of them are developed very well all along the up to now, 47 chapters!
" the animal cruelty and gross practices that actually happen in farms like this." the main characters, who don't know anything about farm have a lot of problem with this... of course, it's a shounen manga, not a seinen manga so it's not too deep, but he have a lot of difficulties to deal with it! It's not a philosophical discussion about farming and meat industry... it's an anime slice of life/school life/comedy but still educational! The target is not university students/adults but around 10-15 years old children... don't mixed everything!

rebelakuma said:
And it is just in anime where I see raw eggs being put in rice and mixed with soy sauce. Wonder if it is indeed delicious.... hehe.

Newmn84 said:
Silent_Sword said:
So does mixing an egg with rice like that really taste that good
Never tried it myself but I've heard it's good (and if the rice is hot enough, it actually partially cooks the egg). It's also a probably the combination of sheer exhaustion and hunger more than the actual taste lol.

It's pretty good! and Japanese eat raw eggs a lot (in salad, with sukiyaki (meat pot)...). Also, usually in Japan you don't put anything on your rice, but it's ok with egg+soy sauce (specially when it's not fresh cooked rice --> after microwave heating dry the rice)! You can do it easily in all countries ^^

lindsayzzz said:
They even censored the chicken's head being cut off haha.

It's also censored in the manga ^^

Frontalbrise said:

Best out of context line

^ this!
But it was much more funny in the manga! with the military teacher and Hachiken who feels like he has no other choice than to obey

I liked this episode, but they add some not funny (more like stupid) things like at the greenhouse (flying with the wind... -_-) and removed some funny part (eating the egg) and Tamako looks too small (maybe it's the same in the manga, but she really looks toooo small...)
Jul 12, 2013 6:35 AM

Mar 2013
I'm not into this type of genre, and so I thought I wouldn't enjoy this episode. Wasn't so bad to my surprise! I'll keep watching, as long as it gets interesting.
Jul 12, 2013 6:56 AM

Jul 2007
amayih said:

" the animal cruelty and gross practices that actually happen in farms like this." the main characters, who don't know anything about farm have a lot of problem with this... of course, it's a shounen manga, not a seinen manga so it's not too deep, but he have a lot of difficulties to deal with it! It's not a philosophical discussion about farming and meat industry... it's an anime slice of life/school life/comedy but still educational! The target is not university students/adults but around 10-15 years old children... don't mixed everything!

"hey guyse, its propaganda ridden boredom show, but its okay cause its pretty~"

The fact that "farms are great glorious and hard work" shit is targeted at YOUNGER audience is even more disturbing.

Want to see live action gin no saji? here it is. Enjoy.
Jul 12, 2013 7:31 AM
Dec 2008
that. was. awesome
Jul 12, 2013 7:36 AM

Jan 2008
Starting episode was enjoyable. Guitar in OP song is really nice. The show reminded me of Moyashimon.
Jul 12, 2013 8:08 AM

Aug 2010
First episode and I'm already laughing out loud xD
The chicken beheading made me laugh so much hahah.
Jul 12, 2013 8:12 AM
Jun 2008
xSimplicity said:

I wonder what so funny seeing a chicken beheaded

-.-"
Jul 12, 2013 8:54 AM

Apr 2013
Not bad for a start. And how strong must that wind be to lift a fat person in the air :S
Shinnosuke fainted when that chicken was beheaded >.<
Anyway the episode was hilarious and I enjoyed watching it.
Jul 12, 2013 9:08 AM
Apr 2012
_Rika said:
Stark700 said:

Poor chickens
Too much gore.

It's set in a farming school, what did you expect?

Fai said:

You do realise that this is based on a shounen slice of life manga, and not a gritty seinen, right?
Jul 12, 2013 9:21 AM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
rebelakuma said:
And it is just in anime where I see raw eggs being put in rice and mixed with soy sauce.
Nope. It's real. I had it in one of the ryokans I stated at in Japan last year as part of my breakfast (though I did not add soysause, for a couple of unrelated reasons)
Jul 12, 2013 9:23 AM

Jan 2010
killer-baka said:
_Rika said:
Stark700 said:

Poor chickens
Too much gore.

^^^
I think _Rika never saw chicken or cow been butcher before...and this series is good FYI to those people that don't how the work at farm going. I'm also from farmer family, so this is not gore at all.

Jul 12, 2013 9:36 AM

Mar 2012
Fai said:

The fact that "farms are great glorious and hard work" shit is targeted at YOUNGER audience is even more disturbing.

I can appreciate your reasons for not liking this show, but everyone has to draw their own lines somewhere. For instance, if someone refused to watch anime that were sexist, they couldn't watching like 90% of anime. If someone refused to watch anime that were socially damaging in any way or that were a misrepresentation of some activity/practice, that number would probably go up to 99%.

Not everyone knows (or cares) enough about bad farm practices to let it bother them. I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say this show is "propaganda ridden."
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 12, 2013 9:47 AM

Jan 2013
MorningGlory said:
xSimplicity said:

-.-"
Maybe that person finds it funny?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jul 12, 2013 9:56 AM
Jan 2013
Man, how stupid is that city slicker guy for not knowing how chickens lay their eggs?

How the f*** did that fat lady got blown up by the wind, wasn't she suppose to be dead weight?

Btw, we Mexican hate it when we coop our chicken like that, we usually let them run around or keep them in large cages where they have plenty of room....that is until they are ready for the table.
Jul 12, 2013 10:20 AM

Jul 2007
Araby said:
Fai said:

I can appreciate your reasons for not liking this show, but everyone has to draw their own lines somewhere. For instance, if someone refused to watch anime that were sexist, they couldn't watching like 90% of anime. If someone refused to watch anime that were socially damaging in any way or that were a misrepresentation of some activity/practice, that number would probably go up to 99%.

Not everyone knows (or cares) enough about bad farm practices to let it bother them. I certainly wouldn't go as far as to say this show is "propaganda ridden."

Funny you say that considering I do refuse to watch sexism/misogyny-infused shows. Thankfully its less common nowadays, although you still get those one-of-a-kind gross misogynist trainwrecks sometimes

And the show is made based upon manga made by person who grew up in the said farms and has every reason to glorify the experience. That alone is propaganda. Its sad. Because the premise, while boring, if portrayed realistically would make a VERY interesting psychological slice-of-life.

Cabron said:
MorningGlory said:
xSimplicity said:

-.-"
Maybe that person finds it funny?

So animal cruelty is funny now? wow.
Jul 12, 2013 10:55 AM

Jan 2013
Baddie007 said:
Man, how stupid is that city slicker guy for not knowing how chickens lay their eggs?

How the f*** did that fat lady got blown up by the wind, wasn't she suppose to be dead weight?

Btw, we Mexican hate it when we coop our chicken like that, we usually let them run around or keep them in large cages where they have plenty of room....that is until they are ready for the table.
+1
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jul 12, 2013 10:57 AM

Jun 2011
AoiMizu said:
killer-baka said:
_Rika said:
Stark700 said:

Poor chickens
Too much gore.

^^^
I think _Rika never saw chicken or cow been butcher before...and this series is good FYI to those people that don't how the work at farm going. I'm also from farmer family, so this is not gore at all.
Lol, I was just trying to pull of a lame joke. You guys actually thought I was being serious when I said that is gore? O.o
Jul 12, 2013 11:40 AM

Dec 2011
That guy's a class A idiot.

Even if he knows nothing about animals, doesn't he at least stop to think that the part of the egg you eat is the inside, which is protected from any... dirty things... by the shell?
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Jul 12, 2013 11:53 AM

Oct 2011
Very educational series but uncontrollable laughing at the same time XD. I will now understand the life of a farmer and the agricultural industry
Jul 12, 2013 11:58 AM

Mar 2012
Fai said:
Because the premise, while boring, if portrayed realistically would make a VERY interesting psychological slice-of-life.
I agree, but alas.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jul 12, 2013 12:30 PM

Mar 2009
This anime series is easily the best series this season. Can't wait for the next episode!
K-ON v1.1 ... Please leave you comments on my profile! ^_^
Jul 12, 2013 1:03 PM

Jul 2009
I hope the main char gets a good character development, for now I don't like his judgemental attitude towards his fellow students.
Jul 12, 2013 1:31 PM
Apr 2012
this was adapted really good ( ^^ ) had a feel of light hearted slice of life~
and that opening is so freakishly adorable XDDDD
Jul 12, 2013 2:08 PM

Jul 2010
I enjoyed aspects of this, but it was cliche in certain areas that made me lose interest (especially the main character). I'll give it one more episode.
Jul 12, 2013 2:24 PM

May 2013
lordzenchi said:
This anime series is easily the best series this season. Can't wait for the next episode!

I agree... :)

5/5
Jul 12, 2013 3:28 PM

Mar 2012
Enjoy this show more than I expected.
Pro:
-An unusual spin on high school anime.
-I like how the MC is bonding with a classmates.
-Slice of life in an agricultural school is interesting for some reason :/
-I like how his classmate suddenly discuss Animal Biotechnology, which I majored in College. The stuff that they talk about, I didn't learn until my junior years. I would be pretty impress too if I found high school students these days discussing about Biotechnology considering how much society scare of GMO and cloning.

Con:
-Character design is off. Some character design critics here had probably explain it.
Well, the fat chick's design is not even human...
-Comedy felt forced. Windy scene with fat chick flying... seriously?
The egg/ anus joke is way overused by the end of the episode.
-MC is too retarded. I get that comedy need some dumb characters, but the MC is so stupid that I wonder how he even made it to high school. Personally, underdog character constantly making a fool out of themselves leave a bad taste for me.

Overall: 4/5
Will continue to watch unless the MC do something really stupid.
Jul 12, 2013 3:30 PM

Apr 2013
MorningGlory said:
I remember I stop eating century egg for a while when I realize they use horse manure to cover the egg for 30days... no wonder it taste so great LOL
What?! Was this something they did in the past or do they still use this method today?

This episode made my stomach clench with want.
Considering that eggs are basically a chicken's period, I don't know why MC is letting the small stuff bother him lol.
All that matters is that they are delicious *¬*
Jul 12, 2013 4:09 PM
Jun 2008
voll said:
MorningGlory said:
What?! Was this something they did in the past or do they still use this method today?
Now they use a more "cleaner" method but the old method still practice in small villages thou.
Apparently, horse dung is just more cheaper and the taste&smell is a bit stronger when century egg is done....
Jul 12, 2013 4:19 PM

Apr 2013
MorningGlory said:
voll said:
MorningGlory said:
Now they use a more "cleaner" method but the old method still practice in small villages thou.
Apparently, horse dung is just more cheaper and the taste&smell is a bit stronger when century egg is done....
I want to try out the horse dung version now
Jul 12, 2013 4:23 PM

Mar 2012
MorningGlory said:
voll said:
MorningGlory said:

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2008/10/16/are-century-eggs-soaked-in-horse-urine.htm

I look it up on wiki. They have sources that Century Egg being soak in urine and stuff are just myth. Urine will make the egg more acidic rather than Basic.
Jul 12, 2013 4:27 PM

Apr 2013
leeo268 said:
MorningGlory said:
voll said:
MorningGlory said:

http://chemistry.about.com/b/2008/10/16/are-century-eggs-soaked-in-horse-urine.htm

I look it up on wiki. They have sources that Century Egg being soak in urine and stuff are just myth. Urine will make the egg more acidic rather than Basic.
But isn't dung different from urine?
Jul 12, 2013 4:50 PM
Jul 2018
I like the unusual setting of the anime.
Jul 12, 2013 6:07 PM

Jul 2010
Pretty enjoyable first episode. Don't see too many farming anime so this will interesting to watch.
Jul 12, 2013 7:45 PM
Jul 2018
I liked this anime. It gives me chills.
Jul 12, 2013 8:49 PM

Jul 2010
Good first episode, even if the MC is a total pussy.
Jul 12, 2013 9:48 PM

Oct 2012
Art was meh, but the content itself was funny. CHICKENS ARE AMAZING.
The MC reminds me of myself, since my Grandma owns a farm in my home country and I'm a city-raised citizen in Australia. and omg yes, those dumb students, except I live in a suburb now, but still as dumb.

4/5
Alone on a Friday night? Remember that DIO did nothing wrong!
Jul 12, 2013 10:49 PM
Jun 2008
voll said:

It a myth? xD
Many people said it was made from horse manure. That was 20years ago ...
The only thing I know is that century egg nowadays doesn't taste that good compare to before ='(
If its not horse urine, it might be something more worse than that lol.
Jul 12, 2013 11:16 PM

Apr 2013
^you quoted the wrong person lol
First time I've seen century egg, manure, and urine in the same paragraph hahaha. I thought they were originally buried underground or something (but maybe this is a myth too?).

Btw, I'm curious to know, how differently did they taste before? (did they have a stronger flavor?) and how recently did the taste change?
Jul 12, 2013 11:26 PM

Mar 2012
MorningGlory said:
voll said:

It a myth? xD
Many people said it was made from horse manure. That was 20years ago ...
The only thing I know is that century egg nowadays doesn't taste that good compare to before ='(
If its not horse urine, it might be something more worse than that lol.

Guys just research on it already, lol. Not like I gain anything making up facts about Century Eggs.

Yes, they are using more dangerous quicker mean of producing the eggs with lead(II) oxide. Thus, they can make the egg within two weeks instead of 6+ months. However, lead(II) oxide is very poisonous. If not clean properly or got into the egg, you can get really sick from it. Like the articles said, don't buy eggs imported from China because their food regulation is terrible.
Jul 12, 2013 11:35 PM

Apr 2013
^Yeah, I now know from what you said about the urine being a myth, but I couldn't find anything about manure. Is it the same thing for both?
Jul 13, 2013 5:09 AM

Dec 2012
Really good, i like it. Few of my friend study agriculture and look like it not easy to learn.
Tha_NaJul 13, 2013 5:25 AM

Jul 13, 2013 5:28 AM

Jul 2011
Interesting start even though I found the first episode of Moyashimon better.
Jul 13, 2013 6:45 AM
Jan 2011
Ok, since when did fat people got blown like a kite by strong winds? Geez this anime's directors seems to not know the simple physics that fat people have more mass and such strong winds can't lift them up , except when they get caught in a tornado.

This anime really has a stupid start, the city guy doesn't any idea how chickens lay their eggs. How chickens were prepared and not being used to back breaking work.
Jul 13, 2013 7:24 AM

Aug 2010
Nasty001 said:
Ok, since when did fat people got blown like a kite by strong winds? Geez this anime's directors seems to not know the simple physics that fat people have more mass and such strong winds can't lift them up , except when they get caught in a tornado.

I can see you being sarcastic there.

So much better than Moyashimon. The comedy part in Moyashimon is so forced, i didn't even laughed once, yet here it's simple and easy to follow, i grinned at some parts. Really liked it, waiting for the next one.
Jul 13, 2013 7:42 AM

Nov 2010
Wow, that was really good, loved it. go go cow, horse xD
Jul 13, 2013 9:55 AM
Jul 2018
something new! i like it)

and... yes, poor chicken xD
Jul 13, 2013 10:13 AM
May 2012
My god, that chicken, totally didn't see it coming, that was like 5-10 seconds of horror within a slice of life show.

Anyways, like that slice of life and comedy mix, especially the raw egg. Very interesting since this is about agriculture and it's new to me. Definitely will follow this.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gin no Saji Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 12, 2013

137 by DebiPS »»
Jan 18, 4:22 PM

Poll: » Gin no Saji Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 1, 2013

171 by DebiPS »»
Jan 10, 4:28 PM

Poll: » Gin no Saji Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jul 25, 2013

113 by DebiPS »»
Jan 9, 3:34 PM

Poll: » Gin no Saji Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2013

153 by Shikkakku »»
Dec 18, 2023 1:33 AM

Poll: » Gin no Saji Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2013

92 by Shikkakku »»
Dec 17, 2023 5:18 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.