Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums

Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 1 Discussion

New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 5, 2013 10:09 AM
Dec 2010
I'm pretty biased cause I was pretty hyped for this anime. I saw the LP, and I really enjoyed this episode (though it felt a bit rushed). It's also nice to hear Soraru singing Suzumu's song.
Jul 5, 2013 10:11 AM

Feb 2008
It has... personality? I guess. The characters seem particularly terrible though as they are all defined by some tired archetype or gimmick. And the whole 'bland protagonist dude with hot idol girl lusting after him' trope had me groaning throughout the episode.

Maybe there's something here that I'm missing. Probably not.
Jul 5, 2013 10:12 AM

Jun 2013
Never player the game before, but this looks quiet entertaining! I hope 13 episodes will be enough...
Jul 5, 2013 10:23 AM
Jan 2012
I just want to say that a first episode is, well, a first episode, plus it's Dangan Ronpa. So bear with it for a while and give it a chance. Because the characters, while basing on some stereotypes, aren't as bland as some would think.

I do hope that they'll manage to fit the story in this 13 episodes.
Jul 5, 2013 10:24 AM
Jul 2018
My friend introduced me to the PSP game so I was hyped when I heard it was getting an anime adaption. I know Monokuma is that type of character I love to hate lol
Jul 5, 2013 10:27 AM

Feb 2010
FlamingYu said:
We pretty much know that Celestia is bad news when she tries to set up a rule of her/their own. Besides, having red eyes and black clothing aren't exactly good news.
Can't wait for the next episode

I would slaughter an entire class with her any day.
Jul 5, 2013 10:35 AM

Apr 2013
That was a bit underwhelming, actually. The art looks nice and the music is solid, but the characters were rather shallow stereotypes and the story felt somewhat rushed and poorly handled - like the final scene in the AV room. Was the MC really that afraid of ruined couches? Cause the video didn't look convincing or long enough for him/everyone to freak out.
Oh well, I certainly hope it gets better (read: darker, more psychological and brutal). I'll definitely not drop this, though. Survival games know how to please me.
Jul 5, 2013 10:35 AM
Jan 2011
Looks like this anime has already have a lot of spoilers.
Jul 5, 2013 10:39 AM

May 2011
Whoa, what an extremely faithful adaptation. This is so close to the game that it’s almost scary. I am really curious how the trials will look like now. :D
Jul 5, 2013 10:44 AM

Nov 2012
THIS ANIME IS FRIGGIN AWESOME!!
Jul 5, 2013 10:46 AM

Sep 2010
Battle Royale......

Pretty good though.....

4/5
Jul 5, 2013 10:49 AM

Apr 2011
this has a Ten Little Niggers feeling to it.
Jul 5, 2013 10:54 AM

Jul 2012
Time to pick up the source material, in this case it's the PSP game. I find it's hard to avoid spoiler these days.
Jul 5, 2013 10:58 AM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wow the characters sure are unique. Monobear is kind of annoying, especially his laugh at the end, but it's probably meant to be that way. I guess the story will really begin next episode.
Jul 5, 2013 10:59 AM

Jun 2008
Lol people complaining about shallow stereotypes.

They are the 100% living stereotypes. The creators are fully aware of this, and this is one of the main selling points that made DanganRonpa such a huge seller in Japan.

Yes, they're using stereotypes, but they also RAN IT into high levels of ridiculousness.

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Jul 5, 2013 11:00 AM

Jul 2010
The animation is a little sub par. Though I think this will still be enjoyable, after playing the game.
Jul 5, 2013 11:05 AM

Feb 2008
kaimax said:

They are the 100% living stereotypes. The creators are fully aware of this, and this is one of the main selling points that made DanganRonpa such a huge seller in Japan.

Yes, they're using stereotypes, but they also RAN IT into high levels of ridiculousness.

A bit of zany humor in exchange for decent writing. Not entirely sure that I'm fine with that.
Jul 5, 2013 11:08 AM

Mar 2012
It was enjoyable, better than the other first episodes I've watched so far this season.
Jul 5, 2013 11:09 AM

Jul 2012
Despair...

Do take my disclaimer that I have never played the game (again the common question: Is it out for the English PSP?), so I can not tell how accurate it is. But having this psychological thing and with a cast of quirky and exaggerated characters... I think its off to a good start. (Plus if I'm lost, I can always refer to the cast list on MAL or find the Wiki for it... But Wikis have game spoilers so umm...)

I think the act plays so well.. I was already attached to the super-cute-and-friendly Sayaka, but after Monokuma broke her... Yea... It was hard to bear... Otherwise I already know some of the characters already even before the anime came out. It's the matter of "getting to know them" before their death.

So yea... Off to a good start and I'm already creeped out by the "creepypasta" DVDs they are forced to watch.

"Everyone go love Cyan!"
Jul 5, 2013 11:09 AM

Jul 2012
Okay I can understand people complaining about the characters being stereotypes, but..

We're one episode in guys.

There's still time for everyone here to grow (which they will) and expand BEYOND said stereotypes.

Well, you'll all see.
Jul 5, 2013 11:15 AM

Jun 2013
good first episode. i rly like celestia
Jul 5, 2013 11:28 AM

Jul 2012
I like this anime so far it's promising!!!
Jul 5, 2013 11:33 AM

Nov 2012
soo it begins..
very rushed first episode, but with 13 episodes it's not a surprise. not too sure how i feel about the adaptation yet, but yeah this is only the first episode so..
Jul 5, 2013 11:37 AM

Jul 2012
This show kinda reminds me of Deadman Wonderland
Jul 5, 2013 12:01 PM

Sep 2011
Veronin said:
kaimax said:

A bit of zany humor in exchange for decent writing. Not entirely sure that I'm fine with that.
just trust me on this, these characters have way more to them than meets the eye, thats all im gonna say.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 5, 2013 12:10 PM

Jun 2010
Wait, wait, people are actually complaining about stereotyping!? hahAHAHAHA. I have watched nowhere past this episode, but even I can tell that everyone being stereotypes is intentional. Because apparently they are 'Super Duper High School _' Which would mean they outmatch everyone in what everyone thinks that type of person would be at first glance, right?

Anyway, I like it so far. It's better than everything else that came out in the last few days (thoughididenjoyserventxservicebutishouldn'thave) by a long shot. The creepy moments are unsettling, so that's a plus. I didn't think I would, but I like the art style as well. As someone who knows 0 about the game, I think the pacing is a-ok for the most part. The character introductions were rushed, but then again there's 16 characters introduced, and with 13 episodes how the fuck could you slow that down? I actually like the director for comedy, because he did Sunred and I fucking loved that. I don't know how well he'll do with whatever other drama comes with this though.
Jul 5, 2013 12:11 PM

Jan 2011
It was okay for a first episode. I didn't really have a problem with the pacing but the character designs were really getting on my nerves (I haven't played the game or read anything about Danganronpa). Seems good so far, I will follow it for the murders and the mystery, I guess. Also, I liked the ending song, opening was kind of meh though.
Jul 5, 2013 12:20 PM

May 2012
Hmmm.. interesting premise. Reminds me of battle royale and Btooom though. But the animation and character designs doesn't interest me much. They look "childish". Anyway, so far, I like the bookworm girl. She is freaking paranoid.
Jul 5, 2013 12:24 PM

Jun 2008
Veronin said:

The game wouldn't sell well if it didn't have decent writing and only relied on the gameplay and the wacky design.

DanganRonpa is from Chunsoft (now SpikeChunsoft), those guys are responsible for:
-Kyokugen Dasshutsu 9-Jikan 9-Nin 9 no Tobira (999 for the DS)
-Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward

HoshiNeko said:
The character introductions were rushed

Same thing happened in the game (the short name screens thing). their introductions are done by spending time with them when the game is on "free time", don't know how they'll do it though in the anime.
kaimaxJul 5, 2013 12:28 PM

Visit this blog That I'm working with my friend
http://randomnessthing.com/
Jul 5, 2013 12:35 PM

Jul 2012
xLacie said:
Also, I liked the ending song, opening was kind of meh though.

I have to agree with the OP part. I wished they would've used the opening they used for SDR2, which is essentially the same as the first one but has a better beat, vocals, and tone to it.

The visuals in it are also a lot better than the first games OP visuals. Basically everything got enhanced in the second game imo.
Jul 5, 2013 12:40 PM
Apr 2013
I am disliking the cliche cast at this moment. They are all sterotypes and also this has a main character so you know they won't die pretty much
Jul 5, 2013 12:43 PM

Jan 2013
ihateeveryone said:
Okay I can understand people complaining about the characters being stereotypes, but..

We're one episode in guys.

There's still time for everyone here to grow (which they will) and expand BEYOND said stereotypes.

Well, you'll all see.
Word.

Seriously, how much characterdevolpement do people expect in episode 1?
Jul 5, 2013 12:47 PM

Sep 2012
Kyuubey + Pedobear = Monokuma

a Kurumi Tokisaki look-alike....that's nice

great episode and i love it...

hope to see another episodes coming...

xD
Jul 5, 2013 1:00 PM
Feb 2012
The entire plot is made to betray expectations. It's supposed to start out generic, but it quickly begins to subvert all of the stereotypes.

I don't know why everyone is complaining about the characters being too generic. There are 15 of them, and there was 20 minutes to introduce them. Any group of 15 characters is going to come off as generic if they have that little time.

Bokurano also had what seemed like a bunch of generic kids at the start of the series because there were so many of them, but they all developed and became pretty interesting and unique characters.
Jul 5, 2013 1:02 PM

Apr 2013
Probably one of the most anticipated show i have in my line up for this season, hopefully it turns out good.

I hope the atmosphere is a bit more dark than in the first episode and not lovey-dovey.
Jul 5, 2013 1:11 PM

Mar 2012
Veronin said:
kaimax said:

What I think he means is (or, at least what I think/think too) is that later on in the game/series they explore the use of these stereotypes in a psychological manner and develop them in a way that their tropes and actions takes different directions. Or at least from what I heard from people; that it was intentional and not just shabby writing and humour tropes.

I actually like the stereotypes idea, but I'm only going to hang onto it if it does it right. The main problem is the messy pacing and 13 episode situation so attachment to other characters might not be so easy for me, but I liked this episode as an introductory episode.
Jul 5, 2013 1:18 PM

Aug 2011
Hey, this reminds me of And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie!!!! Well, kinda at least. Monokuma's laugh at the end was cringeworthy. The anime right now feels too game-y but I don't really have a problem with that. It's very interesting so far!
Jul 5, 2013 1:22 PM

Oct 2011
OMG jaw dropping. Dat Moonbear has the creepiest laugh 0___0 I have never played the game. Will continue watching to see who dies first.
Jul 5, 2013 1:24 PM

Sep 2011
HerosLight said:
Sourire said:
Probably one of the most anticipated show i have in my line up for this season, hopefully it turns out good.

I hope the atmosphere is a bit more dark than in the first episode and not lovey-dovey.
Agreed.

First episode was pretty cool.
It never gets entirely dark, it always retians a sense of humor thorughout though that humor will also turn into dark humor, though of course this being about murder and spoiler yes murders happen, this does indeed get dark when the time calls for it. Just dont expect it to turn into monster and expect it more to turn into FMA brotherhood in terms of tone

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Jul 5, 2013 1:34 PM

Jun 2013
I didn't really like the first episode :/
The cast was ok but I feel like the interaction between Naegi and Maizono is a little forced. Both their characters just seem so cliche to me. The whole idea behind the anime seems very interesting though so I'll keep watching. Keep in mind, I haven't played the video game behind it which might have changed my opinion.
Jul 5, 2013 1:44 PM

Dec 2008
Really enjoyed this episode. It got me back into anime! Thank god for this anime. I hope it doesn't disappoint.
Jul 5, 2013 1:46 PM

Nov 2008
First part was one hell of an Acid Trip. xDD

They retained the paper doll-like characters. I wonder if they will animate the bullet time or scopes and the choices the same as well.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .anime . manga . updates . ♫♪ . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Jul 5, 2013 1:50 PM

Jun 2010
That idol girl doesn't sit right with me. I feel like she's going to end up doing something.

What I really like about this is that they show what day they are on and the amount of people alive.

Jul 5, 2013 1:59 PM

Aug 2011
I'll get used to the art, but WOw. That was good. A really good first episode. Not too fond of Monokuma's voice though not surprised that some people were complaining about it.

ALSOOO SORARUN'S SINGING THE EDDD DFKASFksdfasldf I LOVED ITTTTT.
Jul 5, 2013 2:08 PM

Jul 2012
i just cant take it seriousy with inazuma eleven desing alike ,in other hand i dont trust the idol
Jul 5, 2013 2:09 PM

Aug 2010
Pretty interesting so far. I'm liking the cast so far. Junko, Byakuya and Kyouko really caught my interest.
Jul 5, 2013 2:14 PM

Jul 2010
Gotta say that i love atmosphere so far.Also last scene was pretty intense, will watch more.OH AND:

UtsukushiiYume said:
ALSOOO SORARUN'S SINGING THE EDDD DFKASFksdfasldf I LOVED ITTTTT.
I KNOW RIGHT :D
Jul 5, 2013 2:14 PM

Jul 2012
I really love how they handled this show! I mean, I just....wow.

I am totally looking forward to the executions after that opening Space Journey one. I had a feeling they would be great but I was always curious exactly how they would be animated and wow. That one was gorgeous. I love how they kept the feel of the game. They kept sprite poses, loading screens, in game cut scenes were perfectly reanimated, the music was great, the ending with the number of students left, chapter openings, and there were a bunch of other things that made me so happy when watching it but now that I go to type them they have slipped my mind. I wasn't expecting that stuff to be there.

It is so weird seeing this game's style animated haha. Their silly eyes and heads are pretty precious. I have to get used to that art moving. I adore how they kept the flat paper style though.

I feel like in the next episode the tone is going to shift. I can't wait!

I am totally looking forward to more of this anime! I am so pleased with it!
Jul 5, 2013 2:17 PM

Jan 2013
hehe interesting...
Jul 5, 2013 2:40 PM

Oct 2011
Okay so the official rankings are in:

God Tier - Drills

Top Tier - Twintails

Mid Tier - Freckles

Low Tier - Everyone else

This show's just alright so far.
Pages (12) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 26, 2013

435 by Ricky16 »»
27 minutes ago

» how should i watch Danganronpa ?

TheAdo - Dec 29, 2016

19 by InstantRamenKing »»
Feb 9, 10:20 PM

» whats up with Kyoko Kirigiri hands?

EagleEd - Jan 13, 2018

5 by kaamsas »»
Jan 13, 7:04 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 5, 2013

148 by berlinza6as »»
Jan 7, 2:07 AM

Poll: » Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 19, 2013

263 by Gator »»
Sep 13, 2023 8:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.