Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (20) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
May 25, 2013 7:56 PM

Sep 2011
DraconisMarch said:
Why did nobody notice how giant of an asspull it is that Eren was a titan?

SMH.

with all due respect, a lot of people already knew about Eren being a Titan/predicted

Actually, i take that back, didn't you notice Eren's flashback at all?
GodlyKyonMay 25, 2013 8:01 PM
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys

Jul 2010
Zealot said:
I came here expecting a "kick the baby" gif.

Nobody nobody noticed it? 10:54

^ Me too.

Also, Epicness.

Mod Edit: 1. Reaction images aren't allowed in posts; 2. Only 1 screenshot per post is allowed in episode discussions.
LunaMay 26, 2013 12:44 AM
Nov 2011
lol then why do people read manga? I mean it only has black and white stills with no sound or music. guys ignore those who complain..
May 25, 2013 7:57 PM

Apr 2011
so Eren was the pilote of a Titan
May 25, 2013 7:57 PM

Sep 2011
Spirai said:
GodlyKyon said:
pming said:
Bake sold a lot and it had a huge amount of stills.

That's cause they made creative use of it. Here, there's nothing creative about these stills, just shows a lack of time/animators

Actually, I rather like the stills. They pan over the characters nicely while incorporating the voice so I get to appreciate the art just as much the animation. I think people need to accept the fact that this anime will have many stills later on. Next time one happens, just stare at how everyone's drawn =) Makes the moment feel shorter.

UGHHH... The thing is that show is going to sell so much, why won't they increase the staff!?

Mubashwer said:
lol then why do people read manga? I mean it only has black and white stills with no sound or music. guys ignore those who complain..

Why do people watch Anime? It couldn't because that the characters movie and has sounds or music...

People make no sense.
May 25, 2013 8:01 PM

Jul 2012
Ragix said:
Actually really liked this episode. I was not sure how it was all going to go in the anime, but it was pretty solid and dat stonefaced Mikasa at the end crying. Action and OST was another plus too.

Spirai said:
GodlyKyon said:
pming said:

That's cause they made creative use of it. Here, there's nothing creative about these stills, just shows a lack of time/animators

Actually, I rather like the stills. They pan over the characters nicely while incorporating the voice so I get to appreciate the art just as much the animation. I think people need to accept the fact that this anime will have many stills later on. Next time one happens, just stare at how everyone's drawn =) Makes the moment feel shorter.

After watching it, I'm amazed as to how people are nitpicking at that. The most stills were at the HQ when they were preparing the trap. They were explaining the whole thing whilst heading to their positions. As much as I would have enjoyed some animation, it didn't hinder any less.

Well, to be fair, no one likes stills. We merely put up with them *shrug*
I, for one, am thankful they don't overuse stills for action sequences unlike another high production anime from last year I won't mention... >.>
May 25, 2013 8:01 PM

Nov 2009
Tyrel said:
Okay, holy fuck. I told myself I wasn't going to complain anymore, but come the fuck on. SO MANY FUCKING STILLS THIS EPISODE.

Stop with the complaining, whiny that much? At least it's better than animating every single still images but the quality goes down. They know how to prioritize things to animate.
Takana_no_HanaMay 25, 2013 8:04 PM
May 25, 2013 8:04 PM

Sep 2011
plushkin said:
Ragix said:
Actually really liked this episode. I was not sure how it was all going to go in the anime, but it was pretty solid and dat stonefaced Mikasa at the end crying. Action and OST was another plus too.

Spirai said:
GodlyKyon said:
pming said:

After watching it, I'm amazed as to how people are nitpicking at that. The most stills were at the HQ when they were preparing the trap. They were explaining the whole thing whilst heading to their positions. As much as I would have enjoyed some animation, it didn't hinder any less.

Well, to be fair, no one likes stills. We merely put up with them *shrug*
I, for one, am thankful they don't overuse stills for action sequences unlike another high production anime from last year I won't mention... >.>

Sword Art? What was it?

Actually, a guy said he liked stills.... With that being said, I don't, I know that for sure.

Though the episode was amazing, Eren's rise from the dead was executed beautifully
May 25, 2013 8:05 PM

Apr 2013
DraconisMarch said:

SMH.
if you think its an asspull then I'd consider dropping the show if I were you.. the entire story is based around this mystery.
May 25, 2013 8:06 PM

Feb 2012
Woo another good episode. Plus Mikasa crying got to me.
May 25, 2013 8:06 PM

Apr 2009
DraconisMarch said:

SMH.

You keep using that word...
May 25, 2013 8:07 PM

Jul 2010
Valaskjalf said:
so Eren was the pilote of a Titan

Neon Genesis Erengelion. /quotequote

Spirai said:
nnangle said:
ConquestOtaku17 said:
OHMYGODTHEREARESOMANYSTILLSINTHISEPISODEIHATESTILLSAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!

That face just screams psychopath in the context on the anime, but as an everyday face, it's a great response to screaming fans =P

Eren after a good dose of 'drugs'?

Takana_no_Hana said:
Tyrel said:
Okay, holy fuck. I told myself I wasn't going to complain anymore, but come the fuck on. SO MANY FUCKING STILLS THIS EPISODE.

Stop with the complaining, whiny that much? At least it's better than animating every single still images but the quality goes down. They know how to prioritize things to animate.

Actually, i don't mind stills at all.
May 25, 2013 8:07 PM

Oct 2008
Takana_no_Hana said:
Tyrel said:

the quality was down on all the animated scenes to begin with. stop trying to defend the obvious lapse in animation quality. stills don't have a place in anime
May 25, 2013 8:08 PM

Sep 2012
Still are fine when they are not substituting them for the action scenes (which were very well done).
I think I'm just glad they are not over using the still for the fast pace action which A1 pics usually like to do such as the action in FT and SAO.
May 25, 2013 8:08 PM

Sep 2011
Amarrez said:
DraconisMarch said:

SMH.

You keep using that word...

That guy is significant for being a anti-fanboy, so he is very cautious

The manga readers will tell anyone that the Eren move wasn't an asspull, seeesh

Isayama Hajime planned his manga out very carefully
May 25, 2013 8:09 PM

Oct 2012
OfficialGuts said:
2easy4AgEnT said:
Foreshadowing..
its not the first time.. I've noticed it since a few episodes the 3 of them are always shown together lol
ikr. And all of them are right next to each other in ranks too.

Dec 2011
Omg fuck that moment when Eren was... and Mikasa was... AAHHHHH OMG I CANT TAKE IT THESE FEELS ARE KILLING ME

Sep 2011
BigSimo said:
Takana_no_Hana said:
Tyrel said:

the quality was down on all the animated scenes to begin with. stop trying to defend the obvious lapse in animation quality. stills don't have a place in anime

Wait, I thought animation was made with a lot of stills?
May 25, 2013 8:10 PM

Nov 2011
OfficialGuts said:
DraconisMarch said:

SMH.
if you think its an asspull then I'd consider dropping the show if I were you.. the entire story is based around this mystery.

It would be an asspull if they didn't explain how it's possible or just didn't say anything at all.

Like OfficialGuts said though, the whole story is based around this and how this is even possible. Call it what you will, but I wouldn't consider it an 'asspull' until they answer the question of how is Eren a titan. As of right now it's just a mystery.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
May 25, 2013 8:12 PM

Oct 2012
GodlyKyon said:
BigSimo said:
Takana_no_Hana said:
Tyrel said:

Wait, I thought animation was made with a lot of stills?
I believe they are
May 25, 2013 8:19 PM
Jun 2010
Funny how people think its "plot armour" or an 'asspull' that Eren survived.
First of all, plot armor doesn't exist in the term you people are using it. And this wasn't an asspull.
They even hinted it several times, you could have predicted this. The story IS this. No asspull.

The most amazing thing about this episode are the other subtle things that happened, which anime only watchers dont understand. Forshadowings and hints that are more crazy than Eren being a Titan.
And you could potentially predict from this episode alone with enough skill.

So please, just because you lack the brainpower and skill, dont use terms like "asspulls" together with this anime.
May 25, 2013 8:20 PM

Feb 2013
This was an awesome episode. All the supporting characters shone this episode as they each showed off their strengths. Armin is a great tactician if he trusts in himself. Jean is a good leader if he too believes in himself. The others had their moments so that was really good to see. Also the abnormal Titan fighting the others was awesome as well.

As for the surprise ending...yeah, it wasn't much of a surprise to me since I had suspected that the Titans were originally people who were eaten for a long time. I though, had thought that the Titans were actually the complete person now made gigantic, monsterous, and mindless, in reality, it's like their gollums controlled by the real person who controls the being from the base of the neck. I'm guessing that's why slicing the back of the neck is the only way to kill the Titans since you'd would be killing the actual person controlling it.

And yet, that puts up the issue that the soldiers have been killing their fellow humans this whole time by slicing the neck of the Titan. So, is there a way to stop the Titans without killing the controller? And how does all this work in the first place? Is this going to be something involving an ancient human weapon experiment that went incredibly out of control? Also did Eren not lose his mind because of that injection his father gave him? Did his father know more about the Titans than anyone could have possibly known?

So many questions, but I'm still loving this series. What will happen next? Was Eren aware of everything while in there? This is a huge reveal regarding the Titans, but will the military use it? Or will they be too afraid of Eren as a "supposed "threat" to realize his importance? Only time will tell.

I give this episode a 9.5/10.
May 25, 2013 8:22 PM

Jul 2011
To all those complaining about stills.

Gaming, often portrayed poorly by representatives of people of the medium, has at least made leeway in recent years, and has fortunately grown out of the habit of giving being petty over graphics, especially among hardcore gamers, but even more casual players who just play stuff like FIFA and Call of Duty have largely grown out of this, and accept that while graphics may have their place, they do not over-ride the quality of the overall experience.

What is happening here is that you guys are complaining about stills in scenes of exposition and filler in a series with fantastic animation when it matters. Stop it, it's unrealistic, childish and absolutely toxic to the image of anime, even to it's own fans.

Now, I won't even reply to GodlyKyon, because to be quite honest, he completely lacks common sense and any scope of logical thinking (like how he seems to think anime is done a week before it airs, and that people watch anime to see the people on paper move).

Keeping your budget as condensed as possible for the first season of ANY medium is integral to financial success. The series is largely completed before the first episode even airs. And a series like Shingeki no Kyojin cannot base it's budget of the success of the manga (and even if they did, it would justify to use of stills to be perfectly honest.)

Now, I do appreciate that quality of animation is important in situations when it actually matters. As bad animation can ruin the impact and immersion of the scene. However, if them walking down the stairs was animated, would you have pointed that out? Of course you wouldn't. Reason being that you did not appreciate all the scenes that COULD have been stills but weren't.

Not to mention that stills can even be a positive thing. Stills help the pacing a lot and signify that this is a moment of rest and recalibration. A moment for you to get your bearings together. Which works especially well this episode since the characters are doing the exact same thing.
May 25, 2013 8:23 PM

Sep 2012
Mikasa cried T________T
Yay Eren is back!
May 25, 2013 8:25 PM

Oct 2012
Amarrez said:
Why is she such perfection?

I like mikasa, but I'm liking this girls art way more now for some reason, still my two favorite though.
May 25, 2013 8:28 PM

Aug 2011
Woah, that embrace by Mikasa, not bad. Made me abit emotional.
Anyways, nice episode! Very thrilling!!
May 25, 2013 8:29 PM

Apr 2011
O my gawd. Eren..?? :o ... Jaw dropped the entire last part of the episode.
May 25, 2013 8:33 PM

Aug 2011
Lol this episode was too good. I was expecting somethig like this to happen last week...but this week i came to the conclusion that it wasn't gonna happen. So many surprises with this show.

I wanna spank potato girl for what she did :3
May 25, 2013 8:38 PM

Sep 2011
I like Annie better, but that could be my "Hate the main heroine" bias, Annie still has a lot of explaining to be done about in the manga

Though my favorite girl... Hmm no idea. Maybe Hanji?
May 25, 2013 8:39 PM

Jun 2012
Eren looked damn cool when he came out of the thing. I think i might like him more.
Though i have read the manga, so i don't think he will become my favourite.
Oh well. This is getting pretty good. Hope this will be as good as the manga. And hopefully the art style will stay as good as it is now, and won't turn worse, and look like what it is. And hopefully eren will get his original golden eyes. I still don't get why they changed it to blue. :/
May 25, 2013 8:42 PM

Sep 2012
TheLilyanna said:
Eren looked damn cool when he came out of the thing. I think i might like him more.
Oh well. This is getting pretty good. Hope this will be as good as the manga. And hopefully the art style will stay as good as it is now, and won't turn worse, and look like what it is. And hopefully eren will get his original golden eyes. I still don't get why they changed it to blue. :/

I'm pretty sure his eyes are jade colored and his mum's eyes are golden.
May 25, 2013 8:44 PM

Mar 2009
@LordSpectreX - So true. But it IS the internet, where people lack common skills and basic knowledge.

Back to the anime - Beautifully epic. So many feels.
May 25, 2013 8:46 PM

Oct 2012
THANK GOD MY WAIFU SASHA WAS SAVED OMGOMGOMG

I can now sleep at night.

On another note, it feels like the biggest mystery element is now uncovered, which feels like a letdown so early in the game. Many have told me more twists are to come, so I guess I can stay hopeful it'll surprise me in the future.

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
May 25, 2013 8:47 PM

Mar 2012
Amarrez said:
On another note, maybe people will stop bitching about Armin now? Because that was getting annoying.

He's been promoted from Cannon- Fodder to Dead-Weight with me, so I guess that's a plus for him.

As for the episode itself... it was OK. Decent action, the Er-oeten was cool, nice music (this show usually has decent music), and everything seemed well-executed. A little too much heart-to-heart discussion, but I won't dock it too much for that. I hope the show picks up a bit though (not talking about action here) or I'll start to worry.

Also, if Eren is the Hulk... I'm gonna be mad.
Let's go bowling.
May 25, 2013 8:47 PM

Sep 2011
Oh yeah, I watched this show expecting it to be nothing

I was tired of manga adaptations being complete shit compared to the original. Lacking the taste of the original.

but THIS. THIS single show has surpassed my expectations beyond doubt. being faithful to the original like a Muslim wife as well as outdoning what the original could not have. It took advantage of the fact that it was an Anime, and showed what the manga could not have, action scenes, and voices etc.

This show gets a gold medal for simply that. Far too many adaptations, even LN adaptations, which tends to be better than the manga ones, turn into shit. I mean, come on! even a relatively "good" LN adaptation, Haganai, turns to shit when animated

this show breaks the mold, and as for only that, it deserves to be noted.
May 25, 2013 8:48 PM

Apr 2009
Tavor said:
On another note, it feels like the biggest mystery element is now uncovered, which feels like a letdown so early in the game. Many have told me more twists are to come, so I guess I can stay hopeful it'll surprise me in the future.

You ain't seen nothin' yet.
May 25, 2013 8:49 PM

Mar 2010
I'm definitely on team "ass-pulls" as far as this episode is concerned.

When Eren "died", it blew my mind, because right from episode 1 I was like "this angsty, generic male lead is gonna be SMOTHERED in plot armour". Then he dies and I'm like "WHOA, I was wrong! That's actually original!" So when he came back this episode, I just kinda rolled my eyes like "you just couldn't help yourself, could you?"

I DO love Shingeki no Kyojin so far, but that was weak. I mean, I saw it coming, yeah, but a part of me was hoping for an original, raw, brutal anime, where any character was at risk - rather than any character except the main(s). Le sigh...
Bellany_May 25, 2013 8:53 PM
May 25, 2013 8:50 PM

Oct 2012
Amarrez said:
Tavor said:

You ain't seen nothin' yet.

Comments like this about SnK keeps me going~

May 25, 2013 8:52 PM

Mar 2012
Lamarq said:
First of all, plot armor doesn't exist in the term you people are using it. And this wasn't an asspull.
I agree that it's not an "asspull" by any stretch. But plot armor does exist, and it exists in this anime (it exists in all stories). Is Eren going to get a staff infection from an ingrown toe-nail and die? Is Mikasa going to develop cancer and slowly wither away? Will Armin miss a spider-man connect and fall to his death randomly? No. Plot armor is why (and thank God for it). If a (main or important) character dies it will be for a reason and have some kind of overall meaning. In real life, people just die. They rarely have any kind of great meaning or epic deaths. Usually they just die, or are crippled, or something else horrible happens.

Calling "plot-armor" is not necessarily an insult. Plot armor is an important part of stories. Otherwise 90% of stories would end suddenly with a car accident or something like that.
Let's go bowling.
May 25, 2013 8:54 PM

Apr 2009
egnaro315 said:
TheLilyanna said:

I'm pretty sure his eyes are jade colored and his mum's eyes are golden.

I think his eye color in this anime is a nice touch. It kind of reflects his dream of seeing the ocean someday (since his eye color is blue-green, which is the actual color of the ocean). Well, at least that's how I interpret it.
RandomPerson4 said:
YES! FUCK YOU LIGHT YAGAMI! FUCK YOU!!!!!!!
May 25, 2013 8:54 PM

Apr 2013
ClampMyShaft said:

When Eren "died", it blew my mind, because right from episode 1 I was like "this angsty, generic male lead is gonna be SMOTHERED in plot armour". Then he dies and I'm like "WHOA, I was wrong! That's actually original!" So when he came back this episode, I just kinda rolled my eyes like "you just couldn't help yourself, could you?"

I DO love Shingeki no Kyojin so far, but that was weak. I mean, I saw it coming, yeah, but a part of me was hoping for an original, raw, brutal anime, where any character was at risk - rather than any character except the main(s). Le sigh...
its not an asspull.. unless you've read the manga, don't use that word.
May 25, 2013 8:56 PM

Apr 2013
Yeah, plot armor should be much thinner for characters besides the very main cast. The author wants to demonstrate something with certain characters, that's why they're kept alive. It takes just as much, if not more, writing finesse to keep characters alive and in the plot rather than removing them from it suddenly.

The quality of this show seems to have no upper limit...
May 25, 2013 8:56 PM

Feb 2013
I think this was the best episode so far, so much action and awesomeness, then a mind exploding ending Eren was the titan wtf is going on, I dont care because it was awesome. Also Armin with great strategies. Im wondering though why the Eren titan didnt regenerate when in ep 7 his hand could regenerate or at least the skin could.
[/url]
May 25, 2013 8:57 PM

Apr 2009
ClampMyShaft said:

An asspull is a convenient power without foreshadowing or any explanation afterward.

In regards to foreshadowing, this is one (of a few) examples.

In regards to explanations, that's to come.
May 25, 2013 8:58 PM

Mar 2010
OfficialGuts said:
its not an asspull.. unless you've read the manga, don't use that word.

I'm not basing my opinion on anything in the manga, as I haven't read it. I'm not sure what happens to Eren, or any other character in future episodes, but if he is indeed "alive and well" after being "killed", as episode 8 implied, then yeah, I consider that an ass-pull.
May 25, 2013 8:59 PM

Oct 2012
StopDropAndBowl said:
Lamarq said:
I agree that it's not an "asspull" by any stretch. But plot armor does exist, and it exists in this anime (it exists in all stories). Is Eren going to get a staff infection from an ingrown toe-nail and die? Is Mikasa going to develop cancer and slowly wither away? Will Armin miss a spider-man connect and fall to his death randomly? No. Plot armor is why (and thank God for it). If a (main or important) character dies it will be for a reason and have some kind of overall meaning. In real life, people just die. They rarely have any kind of great meaning or epic deaths. Usually they just die, or are crippled, or something else horrible happens.

Calling "plot-armor" is not necessarily an insult. Plot armor is an important part of stories. Otherwise 90% of stories would end suddenly with a car accident or something like that.
notice how he said "in the term you guys are using it." I don't think your post has relevance to what HE said. But it definitely is true.
May 25, 2013 9:00 PM

Oct 2012
Amarrez said:

In regards to foreshadowing, this is one (of a few) examples.

Oh man, this sounds interesting.

How glad I am I can be an oblivious anime-only-viewer :>

May 25, 2013 9:01 PM

Mar 2010
Amarrez said:

Ahh, if that's the case, if it is explained how he "came back" rather than just because he's a main character, then I'll prolly be okay with that.
May 25, 2013 9:01 PM
Apr 2013
StopDropAndBowl said:
Amarrez said:
On another note, maybe people will stop bitching about Armin now? Because that was getting annoying.

He's been promoted from Cannon- Fodder to Dead-Weight with me, so I guess that's a plus for him.

As for the episode itself... it was OK. Decent action, the Er-oeten was cool, nice music (this show usually has decent music), and everything seemed well-executed. A little too much heart-to-heart discussion, but I won't dock it too much for that. I hope the show picks up a bit though (not talking about action here) or I'll start to worry.

Also, if Eren is the Hulk... I'm gonna be mad.

the pacing is good, exactly as what i expected. Defense of Trost is considered one arc, they need to put many details of that battle so it felt like the story progression is slowed down. faster pace = lesser detail
May 25, 2013 9:03 PM

May 2013
All I have to say about this episode is

I had thoughts about shipping them before but now i'm sure
I just have to wonder what they do behind closed doors i'm laughing so hard I love this anime
Pages (20) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

42 by BETTY_ »»
Apr 24, 11:28 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 6, 2013

1553 by Rayquazatempest »»
Apr 9, 12:54 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.