Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 14, 2013 11:17 AM

Aug 2012
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Im too excited to watch this and preparing my self to see the Phantom Troupe once again.

Movie is quite good. Phantom Troupe in action once again.
Friendship thing dominated.
Gave it 7/10

Poly25Mar 30, 2014 9:02 PM
May 14, 2013 11:30 PM

Jul 2010
It was a good show; nothing special though, however. Usual shounen movie themes, not-so-spectacular fight scenes due to lack of abilities for Gon, Killua, and Leorio, straightforward plot. Animation was mostly clean though, just a few derpy faces here and there. And Omokage was a cliché villain i.e. made seemingly overpowered at the start but loses predictably at the end or maybe not so predictable because Retz stabs him, but still, chain jail = defeat... so yeah.

I still rated it high, because it did well for a shounen movie. Still lackluster though when measured with HxH standards

Edit: Changed my mind. It is mediocre, after all :P
BigbuffoonJun 28, 2013 4:32 AM
The big brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
May 15, 2013 7:58 AM

May 2010
Watched it today as well lol XD

Straightforward plot, yeah. But a lot of scenes were dragged. I honestly got bored when they met the puppet Illumi and this friendship BS was all they could talk about the whole time. Sure, this anime is about friendship, but I don't need that being shoved in my face every five minutes. And the last fight, ugh. Whoever worked on this anime should learn how to properly direct a movie.

Still gave it a 7 because, you know, Kurapika. ♥

Edit: I sure complain a lot. I actually enjoyed it, just not up to my standards. Nobunaga is really cool.
stormgoddessMay 15, 2013 8:04 AM
May 15, 2013 5:16 PM

Apr 2012
Watched it too in theaters. I made a review about it and it's definitely underwhelming.
RedgraveGilverMay 15, 2013 5:22 PM
May 16, 2013 12:17 AM

Sep 2011
I watched the movie just a while ago. I think it's just okay although I got really annoyed with the friendship thing it's just so dragging and it felt kinda rushed. Nothing new except that we get to see Kurapika's past. The animation still look good though and it felt just the same stuff used with the TV version. Still, a good 7/10 for me.
May 16, 2013 12:37 AM

Apr 2012
Well, all i can say that Togashi did the right thing of scrapping this story in the original manga. This film is based on a manuscript that togashi did not used in the end.
May 16, 2013 6:41 AM

Jul 2010
jay729 said:
Nothing new except that we get to see Kurapika's past.
That isn't new either, unfortunately. There's a manga special released in commemoration of the movie, and it was way more complete than the one shown in the movie.
The big brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
May 19, 2013 5:22 AM

Feb 2012
Watched it on cinemas today and I'm confused as hell???? I don't get why Illumi has a puppet version? He's not dead right? I'm really confused...

I enjoyed it, though it was pretty really predictable. I knew what will happen already even though I'm not yet halfway. Glad to see Kurapika's past tho, and Leorio's pretty useless as usual...

set made by tsudecimo ★ i m a d g m t r a s h ★ pnch blc mal rewrite

May 19, 2013 12:40 PM

Aug 2012
Rinkaisha said:
I don't get why Illumi has a puppet version? He's not dead right? I'm really confused...

Actually it doesn't matter if the original/ the person is dead or alive to be copied by Omokage. Phantom troupe also had the puppet version even though they are alive (except for pakunoda and uvogin)

And Omokage had the puppet version of illumi just because illumi is one of the associates of phantom troupe and they met each other somewhere in the past.

and for all i want is a clarification if this is canon or nan canon..
May 19, 2013 4:32 PM

Apr 2012
This is non canon. It's based on a manuscript togashi didn't end up using.
Jun 25, 2013 1:39 AM

Apr 2013
Along with previewing more designs from the anime series' Chimera Ants, a new Shonen Jump spread confirms that Hunter x Hunter movie Phantom Rouge will be released in Japan on DVD and Blu-ray July 24th.

i cant wait anymore

@Bigbuffoon your singature its A HUGE SPOILER this isnt against the rules?
The Heart
Signature Background Created By Tite Kubo
All right reserved

Jul 26, 2013 8:55 AM

Jul 2013
The movie is really good. I like to see Kurapika and Leorio again. And also the Phantom Troupe an Hisoka.
Jul 26, 2013 2:44 PM

Feb 2013
Alright so I ended up watching a crappy quality version without subs but here are some thoughts of mine of this movie. One of my biggest criticisms of this movie is mainly the fact that the storyline could of been so much MORE. I think the movie should of been more focused on Kurapika's conflict of having his dead friend being revived to be used against him and how this would break Kurapika. More backstory on Omokage and Retz would of been welcomed as well instead of having scenes concerning Killua's conflict with his brother although it was cool to see Illumi again. Other minor nitpicks include that the animation was just decent when I was expecting more of Tomoko Mori animation which we did not get. In addition, there should of been more action between Kurapika and co against Omokages puppets. I also didn't like how CGI was used for Chrollo's nen fish ability when it looked way more badass in the series. Besides that though, I would say this movie was at least entertaining to watch and it was great to see the friendship between our four main guys again and I did think Retz was pretty cool and I was sad to see her die. It is at least worth a watch for all Hunter x Hunter fans but I wouldn't watch this with very high expectations as it didn't have many memorable moments but it was at least fun to see so a 7.5/10 for me. I might add more things once I see it in better quality and with subs.

UPDATE: I have seen the movie in high quality. It was a bit more enjoyable but Illumi is still creepy as hell.
bewareofhisokaAug 1, 2013 10:32 AM
Jul 26, 2013 9:42 PM

Nov 2007
I really think that the theme song fits the movie perfectly. It just describes the main topic of the movie. (That trailer was misleading, though. Even though it does talk about the eyes, but it's not the main topic)

I cannot believe that the enemy for this movie is voiced by my one of my fav. actors, Naohito Fujiki!! And those two important characters from the future two arcs appearing at the ending was neat! It's also interesting that they used Tutorial part for introduction.
tsubasaloverJul 26, 2013 9:51 PM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 28, 2013 6:47 PM

Apr 2010
the fact that the movie(DVD:D) was released the same day as episode 90 has given good feeling donn't you think ?
baltazakJul 28, 2013 6:51 PM
Jul 29, 2013 5:20 AM
Feb 2008
It's a funny coincidence to watch it now as Killua is just fighting his brother's curse in the series.

What I didn't get though: Did the Kurta clan only have 128 members? If that's true they would have died out anyway as this is not a number at where a population can sustain itself, you know because of incest and infertility. I watched it without subs so maybe I got that number wrong? I'm quite sure I heard 128 but my japanese isn't the best.
Jul 29, 2013 6:42 AM

Aug 2011
Lirina said:
It's a funny coincidence to watch it now as Killua is just fighting his brother's curse in the series.

What I didn't get though: Did the Kurta clan only have 128 members? If that's true they would have died out anyway as this is not a number at where a population can sustain itself, you know because of incest and infertility. I watched it without subs so maybe I got that number wrong? I'm quite sure I heard 128 but my japanese isn't the best.

You remember when the old Geezer explained about the scarlet eyes? He explained that there are both pureblood and halfblood Kurtas. This would imply that some outsiders may join into the village.
Jul 29, 2013 9:36 AM
Feb 2008
stefeman said:
Lirina said:

You remember when the old Geezer explained about the scarlet eyes? He explained that there are both pureblood and halfblood Kurtas. This would imply that some outsiders may join into the village.

Ah ok, I thought I probably missed something important.
Jul 29, 2013 2:27 PM

Nov 2012
English subtitle anyone ? the waiting is killing me -_- !
Jul 29, 2013 3:03 PM

Jun 2011
DoN-Anas7 said:
English subtitle anyone ? the waiting is killing me -_- !

Give it about another week. The only group I know that definitely is picking this movie up is Shindou. But right now, they say they'll be done around the middle of this week at the rate they're going (but I always try to give it a little extra time in case they slow down).

If you're interested at looking at their progress you can use this link:
Animelist」 ♪「 Mangalist 」♫
[/size]

Jul 31, 2013 9:35 AM

Jan 2013
Sooo I recently started the series and I'm loving it so much.My question is when should I watch this movie.Like after what episode of the anime so I don't get spoiled or something?
Jul 31, 2013 11:57 AM

Jun 2011
marian11 said:
Sooo I recently started the series and I'm loving it so much.My question is when should I watch this movie.Like after what episode of the anime so I don't get spoiled or something?

Definitely finish the Yorknew/Phantom Troupe arc, there are key characters in that arc you won't know unless you watch it (and the movie definitely goes on the fact that you know what happened in that arc). The last episode of the arc is episode 58. In fact, I would suggest watching the movie right after episode 58 because chronologically, I believe this movie was meant to be viewed right then.
Animelist」 ♪「 Mangalist 」♫
[/size]

Jul 31, 2013 2:27 PM

Nov 2012
English Sub is out!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/tljwtv94wh5xr05/phantom%20rouge%20subs%20%202.0.srt

anyway i just finished the movie, it was kind meh. nothing special, a lot of scenes were dragged. i didn't like the whole "dull" thing, it remind me of Edo Tensei from Naruto Shippuden. there was a lot of random fights and unlike HxH fights it didn't have strategies or tactics at all.

since i'm a die-Hunter X Hunter-fan i enjoy it, but it still have a lot of negatves.
7/10
Drastic-MeasureJul 31, 2013 2:32 PM
Jul 31, 2013 2:29 PM

Nov 2011
xmaikokoro said:
marian11 said:

Definitely finish the Yorknew/Phantom Troupe arc, there are key characters in that arc you won't know unless you watch it (and the movie definitely goes on the fact that you know what happened in that arc). The last episode of the arc is episode 58. In fact, I would suggest watching the movie right after episode 58 because chronologically, I believe this movie was meant to be viewed right then.

Basically this, or at least finish up to episode 58 before the...
Jul 31, 2013 2:36 PM

Jan 2013
xmaikokoro said:
marian11 said:

Thanks a lot. :)
Jul 31, 2013 4:03 PM

Jul 2012
This movie is like Hisoka said in one part: "This lacks soul, but I guess it is as good as it gets".

You got the HxH characters but not the same level of writing. The battles are dull without tactics and strategy and the emotional part is a little bit cheesy and corny. But, really, you can't expect much more from a filler movie.

The manga and the manga adaptation are the real deal, this movie is just a fun time with the characters we love, but not with the same quality.

6/10 - fine
edungeonJul 31, 2013 4:08 PM
Aug 1, 2013 10:18 AM

Oct 2011
It may be filler but it exceeded my expectations by far so 9/10... characterization on point.
Aug 1, 2013 10:23 AM

Dec 2012
Well this movie story was original writing from Togashi before he changed it Yorknew/Phantom Troupe arc. Good thing he changed it otherwise this would have been the arc in the manga.
LightBladeNova said:
It makes me sad to know that still hardly anyone knows what a visual novel is, even in the anime community.
Aug 1, 2013 11:18 AM

Jan 2009
Reffering to the movie, it was kinda ok... At the first time I thought it would be better but after watching it I had the feeling that some things were totally unnecessary, the action was too fast and the involved Ryodan were not really needed... (it was a bit too much) I DIDN'T FEEL THE REAL HxH, the battles were boring and forced and ech-

BUT THE BIGGEST PLUS IS THAT KURAPIKA'S HAIR WAS SO BEAUTIFUL THIS ONE TIME YOU KNOW, IT WAS SO FLUFFY AND ODMHBJSD and not like stinky, stiff seaweed ;lll yeh, good job on that.
TusiaAug 1, 2013 11:23 AM
Aug 1, 2013 11:27 AM
Oct 2011
As always, Hisoka stole the spot-light.
Aug 1, 2013 12:33 PM

Jul 2012
it was ok. 7/10 cant wait for hisoka to re appear in the anime.
Cty Best mid
Aug 1, 2013 1:27 PM
Apr 2013
It's out subbed and I just watched it and the result was pretty good. I'm hearing people say that they are glad this didn't get into the manga, but I don't think of it that way at all. There is a huge difference between a movie and a full arc made up of multiple manga chapters and/or anime episodes. (Imagine if Yorkshin was a movie instead). If anything I would have liked to see this in the manga as I felt Omokage and Retz needed more backstory which could have been fixed if the story were a manga arc instead.

Other than that everything was good. Characterization was consistent and the story is very dark which is pretty much a sign of Hunter x Hunter. And it is interesting to watch the Killua/Illumi dynamic since it is playing out right this moment in the Chimera Ant arc. Again people would accuuse it as being done already, but that also isn't fair as this happened before CA, came out in theaters before CA (The anime in this case) and was even a concept before CA. I'd give it an 8/10.

And don't deny it everyone... A jealous Killua is very kawaii.
MCALAug 1, 2013 1:30 PM
Aug 1, 2013 4:42 PM

Apr 2013
Wow,I didn't expect that much but I really loved it.
Hisoka was awesome (and I don't say this that often) and it was really nice to see our 4 main characters together again :) and of course seeing the phantom troupe members again was awesome too.We even saw Chrollo,Bisky and Kite in the end :) the new characters introduced were pretty interesting as well and the story of the movie in general.
The battle scenes were a bit lacking but that's all.
Overall as a HxH fan I'm really happy with this movie.9/10
Aug 1, 2013 6:16 PM

Dec 2009
Despite being different, it was still pretty good. But it shows this was an unused arc, since it definitely feels different compared to the current Hunter x Hunter and even uses certain ideas that haven't even been touched upon in the canon series (like nen-protection against bullets)!

The movie did a good job and when the character designs actually stayed consistent, which it luckily did after 20 or so minutes, I actually preferred it over the, at times, plastic look the TV series has. Just look at Kurapika's hair! So much better in the movie, despite being outsourced like crazy.

Still, despite being unused ideas, it feels like the movie didn't have time to give them proper justice. The beginning, with Pairo and the eyes being stolen, were brushed over to start the movie. And the climax was a bit cliché, with our heroes winning and then still being saved by the Phantom Troupe. And the church burning down. It's not very Togashi-like when it comes to Hunter x Hunter. If it was fleshed out it might've worked better. Heck, Omokage's puppet ability was really poorly explained now that I think of it.

But, well, random musings.

I'd lie if I said I disliked the movie. In fact I quite liked it. It just didn't live up to its potential.
MarowAug 2, 2013 4:09 AM
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Aug 1, 2013 6:19 PM

Dec 2009
Forgot to say. The use of music was SO MUCH BETTER in the movie than in the TV series.

Wonder why?
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Aug 1, 2013 9:09 PM

Jun 2012
The scene at the beginning was awesome. I've always loved Killua and Illumi so I was happy to see some of the past when Killua was an assassin. Also, the scene with Killua, Gon, and the doll Illumi in the middle was great, though it reminded me of Killua and Gitaraku/Illumi's fight during the hunter exam. The fight at the end also reminded of the exam, probably cause all Illumi said had already been said at the exam. Listening to Killua trying to fight his darkness was especially fun.
SusuBitesYouAug 1, 2013 9:41 PM
Aug 1, 2013 11:50 PM
Oct 2008
HxH is definitely one of my favorite mangas... And despite the fact that in the last 5 years we havent even gotten 100 new Chap's. I love it and always thought more HxH is always welcome hell this movie even had some of Togashi's Input... yet sadly despite all of this and it having some enjoyable moments the movie is just bad the whole Puppet Crap is as lame and uninspired as the whole Edo-Tensei (Naruto).

5/10 (Like Most Shonen Movies it's cool to see all the characters do their thing but other than that it has nothing going for it.)
Aug 1, 2013 11:51 PM

Sep 2011
Marow said:
Forgot to say. The use of music was SO MUCH BETTER in the movie than in the TV series.

Wonder why?

Because he had time to think on it.
Aug 2, 2013 12:00 AM

May 2008
After reading so many reviews complaining about the movie, I had such low expectations of it that it actually helped me enjoy it more than I thought I would.

Like everyone said, the fighting scenes were typical shounen fights, while with great animation, didn't live up to the anime's characteristically witty fights which was kind of a bummer. My opinion pretty much mirrors all the ones stated here so I won't type them up except for one:

I got beef with how in this new reboot Leorio never has time to shine, and in the movie it's no different. He's got this tragic past with his friend that could have been exploitable at least emotion-wise and yet, he his role keeps on being downplayed to that of a supporting character. He's basically decoration which isn't fair considering he's kinda a main character too. Even Kurapika got shadowed (even though this movie should have by all means given him the spotlight given the plot) in favor of giving Kill development. Which is cool, but felt kinda odd to watch. Both Leorio and Kurapika are not in the anime anymore so this should have been their time to shine.

Anyhow, I'm very glad to have seen the 4 of them kick ass together again. I'm giving it a 8/10 because I was expecting something really mediocre and at the very least it was quite entertaining.
Aug 2, 2013 4:17 AM

Apr 2012
akayashi said:
Even Kurapika got shadowed (even though this movie should have by all means given him the spotlight given the plot) in favor of giving Kill development.

That right there is probably the main criticism about this movie, or for me at least. Killua had enough development in the TV series. I don't see why they need to really focus on him in this movie. But then again this is based on a manuscript that Togashi end up dumping.

akayashi said:
Both Leorio and Kurapika are not in the anime anymore so this should have been their time to shine.

Exactly this especially Leorio. While Kurapika is the spotlight(along with the ryodan of course)in the TV series during the Yorknew arc, this movie could have give a bit more background or perhaps expanded it more than what the movie have done of his relationship with Pairo and the Kurta clan.
RedgraveGilverAug 2, 2013 5:20 AM
Aug 2, 2013 5:13 AM

Jan 2009
Omgh, you guyz are right! I also forgot to mention that the story should focus more on Kurapika or even Leorio but it did the kinda opposite... Too much Killua if you ask me QQ

Ach and can someone explain me what's the matter about the cut off scenes? Like: 1:01 and 1:15
Aug 2, 2013 6:01 AM

Sep 2011
Was a good movie despite it not having more focus on Kurapika, but it was an original story with his eyeballs being gone. Also, remember that it's an Original story or (Non-cannon which some people are saying, since he didn't use the manuscript.)

8/10.
Aug 2, 2013 9:24 AM

Jul 2013
S-ER said:

Hisoka was awesome (and I don't say this that often)

Clearly, you are at fault in this situation!

Anyways, thought the film was aight. Good by normal terms. If I was ranking it against something like Naruto, I'd give it more praise. But I'm not. I'm ranking it against all things Hunter x Hunter. I'm so used to expecting excellency from this series, that when the film's plot and new characters contain soooo much cliche, it just doesn't feel the same. There are many things to nitpick, but honestly, I guarantee you that reviews of this film would have been much better if the films villain wasn't absolutely terrible. What a boring concept, lame personality.. I felt like I had already seen this character a million times in just about every other anime. Not only that, but they didn't use (or perhaps have) enough time to develop him as a character. He just sort of showed up near the end..

There were some baller scenes, but ultimately this film, for me, lacked a solid foundation.
Aug 2, 2013 11:48 AM

Aug 2011
Just watched this, I enjoyed it but it seemed just like some random shonen movie. Hisoka was awesome as always. There was not enough Kurapika, he almost did nothing and they even changed (a bit) the story about him and Pyro written by Togashi!
Just because I'm a huge fan I'm willing to give a 4/5
Aug 2, 2013 1:47 PM

Aug 2011
Hisoka stole the show as always :D

Epic time with Killua and Gon ^^

Gotta give this 5/5 as i really enjoyed this.
Aug 2, 2013 1:55 PM

Jul 2010
Lirina said:

This. It's really interesting.

Btw. Here's guys, take some feels.

Also.

Anyway, 8.5/10 to me. I really enjoyed it.
AkanezoraAug 2, 2013 2:09 PM
Aug 2, 2013 1:59 PM

Jul 2009
I liked it.
It was basic enough and relivant (featuring a hidden Spider) to be applied within the anime and not too much focus on original characters.
It was good to see some of Kurapika's backstory sync'd in.
(Doll) Illumi's laugh, love it.

Aug 2, 2013 3:23 PM

Feb 2011
Aww, that was pretty disappointing. It didn't feel like HunterXHunter for me at all.
Instead like a full-flegded generic shounen movie. And the main reason I love the series is because it ISN'T a generic shounen at all.

Didn't expect a HunterXHunter movie could be this bad.
Aug 2, 2013 3:35 PM

May 2012
I really enjoyed this movie, it was a very dark, emotional, and twisted story. It did a great job of developing both Killua and Kurapika by displaying their perseverance in putting their dark pasts behind them and finding new purpose with the new friends in their lives. The action scenes weren't all that spectacular, but they were animated very well, and the emotional and personal nature behind them I think more than made up for it. The Phantom Troupe's appearances in this movie were just icing on the cake for me. They're such a badass group! In my opinion this was a great movie, and I'd recommend any fan of the Hunter x Hunter series to go and watch it! 9/10
"No matter how much of a genius one is, in front of the Uchiha name, they're just ordinary people." - Sasuke Uchiha

Aug 2, 2013 4:03 PM

Nov 2011
First of all, damn Illumni. Okay now that's said and done, the movie....

Pretty good imo although I found some of the action scenes to be dull. That's just me although I liked the way our #4 fights with his style. However, originals > dolls. Duh. I was surprised that Chrollos was among them though. Shame we didn't get to see any of his other stolen abilities other than the Nen fish.

Illumni's fight against Gon + Killua was okay I guess but then again, I wanted to see him throw more than just punches, kickes, and taunts. I guess him being a doll just isn't the same as the original. The OST was surprisingly better than I had thought. Animation wise, the beautiful landscapes and cities are designed to give off that adventure like feeling. The Phantom Troupe displays their ferocity with their stances. Then, there's are the comedic and lighter toned artwork during the more humorous scenes. I kinda liked that tbh.

Oh and Hisoka is a boss, enough said.

Overall, I'm rating this movie a 8/10. Definitely enjoyable imo. And I was somewhat surprised that Retz was a chick. I wonder when Killua will someday have an interest in girls ^_________^

P.S. I noticed that ANN has an entry for this:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/encyclopedia/anime.php?id=15112

There's another HxH movie??
Stark700Aug 2, 2013 4:15 PM
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Gon looks weird in this movie?

Sortvind - Aug 8, 2013

7 by PizzaGOD_74 »»
Jan 8, 9:02 AM

» I only gave this a 3 because [SPOILERS]

Takamura-sama - Dec 29, 2017

8 by RjRaj »»
Nov 12, 2023 10:37 AM

» Is Omokage's ability too ridiculous? Is it ever explained in a way that is not ridiculous?

psykblue - May 13, 2018

2 by RafaelDeJongh »»
Jan 10, 2019 1:29 PM

» Watching the movie without watching the anime

giusex27 - Oct 29, 2013

3 by giusex27 »»
Oct 31, 2013 4:45 PM

» When do you watch this movie?

rpn101 - Jun 19, 2013

4 by Racaholic »»
Aug 4, 2013 1:36 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.