Forum Settings
Forums
New
What is the worth of Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha?
It is made of excellence and deserves to be on our Enlightenment list.
25.0%
It is too unremarkable to be on either of our lists.
50.0%
It is vastly overrated and deserves to be on our Relations list.
6.3%
I have not seen this series but clicking this button is the only thing in this world that means anything.
18.8%
32 votes
May 12, 2013 7:55 PM

Oct 2012
Darker than Black: Kuro no Keiyakusha is now up for vote. Decide if it unravel the mystery of Enlightenment or if it's star will fall into our Relations.

Please remember that with the new voting system ONLY YOUR WRITTEN RESPONSE WILL BE COUNTED. Be sure to clearly state which option you chose at the top of your post or else your vote will not be counted. You must also provide a brief explanation for why you chose the answer you did.

AT THE TOP OF YOUR POSTS. THE TOP. NOT SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE OR AT THE END. THE TOP. STATE YOUR VOTE. We need this for counting purposes later on.

PLEASE DO NOT VOTE IF YOU HAVE NOT SEEN THE ENTIRE SERIES.

This poll will close in 7 days. BEGIN!
Ducat_RevelMay 19, 2013 8:16 PM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
May 12, 2013 8:08 PM
Jul 2018
Option 2

I never understood the hype around this show. I mean it looks nice and it sounds neat on paper but with this anime the story is just not there, the drama wears off fast. And it relies too much on people watching the second season to understand it and I hate it when an anime strings me along, promising me entertainment and a final conclusion but fails to tell a compete story and offers a very bad ending along with really distant and hard to remember in the long run characters.
May 12, 2013 8:21 PM

Mar 2009
Option 2

The series is very fun, but that ending will not allow me to vote for enlightenment. I also felt that the reasoning for Hei not having a punishment for his power was pretty convoluted Gary Stu logic. I quite like it, but I don't think everyone should see it.
May 12, 2013 9:27 PM

Apr 2012
Option 2

Darker Than Black was a great watch, but over the years it just has not left much of an impression. Its not an anime that makes you change the way you look at the genre, nor was it all that memorable; its simply entertaining.
May 12, 2013 10:03 PM

Jun 2009
Option 2

I'll have to echo the other opinions here. The show was good, yeah, but it didn't do anything special and, years after watching it, I don't really find it that memorable either. Hei was a pretty decent character, but there wasn't much anything else going for it character wise and the ending was very much disappointing. Wish I could come up with some more thoughts on the series but I barely remember anything, tbh. I don't even know if I should vote.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
May 12, 2013 11:22 PM

Mar 2012
I have not seen this series but clicking this button is the only thing in this world that means anything. (Your vote)

I watched 5 episodes on Funimation's Youtube channel about a year ago but stopped when they removed the English dubbed episodes
May 13, 2013 1:15 AM

Apr 2013
SaberRitsu said:
I watched 5 episodes on Funimation's Youtube channel about a year ago but stopped when they removed the English dubbed episodes

People watch dubs ? such plebs
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It is made of excellence and deserves to be on our Enlightenment list. (your vote)

I have to be honest I usually hate episodic anime and this is bi-episodic but it had an overarching plot.
Not gonna lie one of my main reasons for liking this is the electric Japanese batman is Hei , I'm quite fond of anti-heroes and he is an excellent one I liked his other sarcastic and sociable persona and it added more to the conflict he has with his emotion because contractors for the most part show no emotions but Hei is shown to struggle when it comes to that. Hei could easily fall into the cliched "Cool character" category but the vulnerable side of him and the indecisive attitude of his along with his story and relationships help him distant himself from cliche and makes him more believable in my opinion.

He develops special feelings (love?) towards Yin who is an emotionless doll , I don't know if I liked that romance or not but I did like their subtle understanding and caring for each other.

It has a cast full of interesting characters and unique personalities and a well written dialogue for the most part. The animation , art and soundtrack are pretty good. I think it is worthy of the enlightenment list.
May 13, 2013 1:18 AM
Jul 2018
Option 2

DTB was wasted potential anime, it could've been a great show but got wasted into turning itself into another generic action series with super powers akin to the x-men animated series. There were stuff that wasn't explained like the true nature of hell gate and what the hell made it came to place the first place. Also, Hei was broken as hell literally could sweep the floor with everyone right until they started introducing a character with even bigger hax powers, rendering any sort of decent writing to lose plausibility. In the end the overarching plot was all fixated on Hei and his relationship with Amber albeit with a very vague sense of establishment which then leads to lack of character development.

The series is still good for the action scenes if you're looking for that, just like how the best parts in Sword of the Stranger are the action scenes.
removed-userMay 13, 2013 2:24 AM
May 13, 2013 1:19 AM
Jul 2018
Arararraragi-kun, I just to say that that's one of the lowest anime compatibilities I've ever done seen.
May 13, 2013 1:24 AM

Sep 2012
Neane1993 said:
Arararraragi-kun, I just to say that that's one of the lowest anime compatibilities I've ever done seen.

Because he only rate stuff 1(bebop is 1 by the way) and 10.
May 13, 2013 1:35 AM

Apr 2013
Neane1993 said:

I actually found someone with ''pathetically low'' a few minutes ago I didn't even know they used that phrase in compatibility.
May 13, 2013 1:38 AM

Jan 2013
so there's people who would dare rating LotGH 1 ...

I really don't get why so much people like this anime, my opinion is similar to Neane opinion, however I watched only 1/2 of this anime, I rushed to the ending after a while because I feared they wouldn't give any decent explanation about the story, the supernatural powers, my fears were true :/ This anime didn't entertain me and if there wasn't many fans on anime forums I would have forgot it.
I vote 2 if my vote count
May 13, 2013 1:47 AM

Jun 2010
Option 2,

It's either, although it had good characters and have a decent plot it started to be a bit episodic and had bad foreshadowing at the ending that it didn't looked like a cliffhanger having it's sequel an annoying series.
"Deep."
May 13, 2013 6:48 AM

Apr 2012
Option 1.
I'm letting my nostalgia get in the way here, but Darker than Black was one of my first anime series. HOWEVER, despite being episodic and a bit slow at times, the series handled it's themes in what I felt was refreshing and different (the entire contractor idea). I also felt the cast of characters, while not the greatest, was fun and refreshing to watch, and the various political themes were handled extremely well throughout the series.
"The more inexperienced you are, the more you want to show off."
- Oreki, Hyouka
May 13, 2013 8:05 AM

Apr 2012
Arararraragi-kun said:
Neane1993 said:

I actually found someone with ''pathetically low'' a few minutes ago I didn't even know they used that phrase in compatibility.

I've seen that to. I think the lowest I've seen is like 11%.
May 13, 2013 8:16 AM

Mar 2012
I'll say option 2, but I'll edit this later whilst I find out; am I allowed my say if I've only seen 7 episodes so far? Or is it preferable to watch until the end to vote?
May 13, 2013 1:31 PM

Oct 2012
harmony73 said:
I'll say option 2, but I'll edit this later whilst I find out; am I allowed my say if I've only seen 7 episodes so far? Or is it preferable to watch until the end to vote?

It is a requirement to watch all the episodes to have a say in the polls.

*goes back to observing*

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
May 13, 2013 1:36 PM

Sep 2011
Option 2

I don't know if I will have the time to go into detail, but I'll come back and quote someone who I agree with in a few days or so.
May 13, 2013 6:58 PM

Oct 2008
Option 2

I watched it a long time ago, but it didn't leave my a big impression or something like that, it was a good series, but not good enough to be on the enlightment list.
May 14, 2013 6:14 AM

Nov 2012
Option 1

This is one of the few episodic anime that I had the patience to watch. It has an overarching story line that can be seen and/or felt in every episode and it makes you yearn for more. It also plays with different character types, like Hei who is an anti-hero. Although the ending is quite sketchy, the overall theme, action and plot, not to mention the interesting contractors, make this a memorable anime that deserves recognition.

May 14, 2013 6:40 PM

Dec 2011
It is made of excellence.

Darker Than Black was a bizzare experience for me. I dropped it halfway through the season because I just couldn't take its withholding nature. I kept asking myself, 'who are these characters? Why should I care? They're either bad, selfish people, or just plain blank slates. However the bizzare approach to superpowers, as well as the excellent action (I could watch Hei take dudes apart for days), made me come back after a few months, and I realized I had to wait until season 2 to actually find out who these characters really were and what made them tick. Looking back I think it was pretty ballsy and showed remarkable restraint to choose to not characterize the characters in any conventional way for almost half the entire show. Overall I think it's one of the most memorable dark/episodic/action anime in the last decade, plus it's not based on a manga. So bring on more original material anime studios, DtB proves it can be done.
Ooo, what a lovely tea party.
May 16, 2013 2:08 PM

Jan 2011
Option 2.

This has been mentioned a lot but we can't stress it enough that DTB is of the few episodic anime that can actually make you want to watch more. You'll grin in the first moments when you met Hei, and his personality traits as well the conflicts he lives with makes things a lot more interesting. You get it if I say 'living the dream'. The concept of masked characters is far from original at this point, but to make it this epic, it only happens from time to time. The overall mood of the show is enough to give you creeps and while the animation is not exactly outstanding, it does the job more than enough, especially in action scenes.

I was going to give option 1, but after my re-watch I had to reconsider the way things worked out. Story didn't flesh out like it could and letting the second season handle it was huge mistake. I'm biased for most of this so I was was (trying actually) going to upvote this, but as a fellow uber-friend I can't deny the series is just not enough for the level of quality this poll demands. I don't believe "It is too unremarkable", but just a little more and we could have gotten ourselves a game-changer.
NiyawaMay 16, 2013 2:13 PM
May 16, 2013 4:01 PM
Dec 2012
Option 2
The anime was fine at what it did, but that's all it was, just fine. The anime itself didn't present anything new or groundbreaking to the table, some of the operators abilities were boring or unoriginal, some characters sucked, some of the arc were also pretty bad and didn't give enough character development. Overall, the only reason to watch this anime is for Mao, Hei and November.
May 19, 2013 12:44 PM

Nov 2011
Option 1 (before this closes)

It's been maybe two years, but I remember greatly enjoying Darker Than Black. It was reminiscent of old-school 'demons in Tokyo" anime which kind of faded away after the 80's and 90's, when they were quite popular (X, Wicked City, Devilman/woman, Akira, etc). Admittedly the Rei Ayanami-esque character sort of annoyed me, but other than her the characters were really great and just a lot of fun.
May 19, 2013 8:16 PM

Oct 2012
With 5 votes for Enlightenment (I'm disqualifying myself for not putting in my reasoning) and 10 votes for Unremakable, I draw this poll to an end. Thank you for voting,
May 19, 2013 8:20 PM

Nov 2011
Oh well. I have a feeling that a couple months back, this title would have made it but our standards have changed. Even I don't suggest stuff I would have before for Enlightenment.

Just an interesting observation.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1162 by LeonhartAugust »»
May 13, 11:17 PM

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.