Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (20) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
May 11, 2013 4:49 PM

Dec 2012
Wingzx said:
wonder how erens going to get out of the titan!

Who says he will?
I am important. I have a girlfriend. Check out my podcast
May 11, 2013 4:50 PM

Feb 2012
Lmao that titan at the beginning.

Eren being bad ass even at the young age dayum, too bad he's gone.
May 11, 2013 4:53 PM

May 2011
3nvy said:
Wingzx said:
wonder how erens going to get out of the titan!

Who says he will?

As refreshing as that would be, there`s simply no way that they would kill off a character so early on, especially when they spent the previous 5 episodes building him up. And let`s not forget this is shonen. (Well, I`d really like if it broke the tropes, but I seriously doubt it.)
May 11, 2013 4:53 PM

Sep 2011
Titan at beginning reminded me Aku no Hana screenshot I saw. Glorious 5/5.
May 11, 2013 4:56 PM

Dec 2012

Eren simply cannot into scarves.
May 11, 2013 4:57 PM

Aug 2012
YEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

EVERYONE'S A BADASS!
May 11, 2013 4:57 PM

Sep 2011
Oh the animation was pretty bad this episode too.

Characters outlining is just so bad. You could see the dark outlines far too much from before. Bunch of other stuff too..
May 11, 2013 4:59 PM

Nov 2009
Tyrel said:

Characters outlining is just so bad. You could see the dark outlines far too much from before. Bunch of other stuff too..

They're a new found company. Stop if you just only watch it for sorely the animation.
May 11, 2013 5:01 PM

Dec 2012
Takana_no_Hana said:
Tyrel said:

They're a new found company. Stop if you just only watch it for sorely the animation.

If you watch it sorely then you should take an epsom salt bath.
May 11, 2013 5:02 PM

Feb 2013
Another awesome episode that shows the depth of Eren and Mikasa's relationship as well as who Mikasa herself is. We find that Mikasa is half-European, half-Japanese (of course...) which accounts for her Asian name in comparison with all the European ones being tossed around.

Eren it turns out was a badass even before the Titans attacked an actually saved Mikasa when she was kidnapped after her family was killed. Eren is an awesome character who is the one who convinced Mikasa to fight and gave her a home. He is also from whom she gets her signature scarf.
Now how Eren learned to fight and kill like that without fear is a mystery to me, since he doesn't come from a sad past or a neglected childhood, so I do wonder how he became so cold-blooded as a young child. However, it was refreshing change from the usual kids I see in anime, who mostly act like young Mikasa.

We also get some of Armin who is in shock and despair at this point over seeing Eren's death. We dread what he has to tell Mikasa.

Great episode, I give it a firm 9/10.
May 11, 2013 5:03 PM

May 2009
Tyrel said:

I personally like the thick outlines a lot. Artwork =/= animation.
May 11, 2013 5:04 PM

Jan 2011
Takana_no_Hana said:
Tyrel said:

Fair enough for me, I even think it suits the art.
Well see how this goes, but the story gets better and better. Score up to after this episode 10/10 (well, more like 9,5 rly). Hope this keeps up, looks damn promising so far.
May 11, 2013 5:06 PM

Apr 2010
May 11, 2013 5:07 PM

Oct 2010
May 11, 2013 5:07 PM

Sep 2012
Wow i really feel for Mikasa, and little Eren was a badass! But is Eren really dead??
May 11, 2013 5:09 PM

Aug 2012
Kuro-Snivy said:
Wow i really feel for Mikasa, and little Eren was a badass! But is Eren really dead??

May 11, 2013 5:12 PM
Jul 2012
StopDropAndBowl said:
Beaver897 said:

Mother of God, I guess some people never become satisfed anymore. This flashback wasn't about Eren turning badass or some shi*, it was showing how Eren has always been a problem child that's been violent and aggressive, and how that side of him saved Mikasa even through rash decisions and turned her into what she is at the present. I personally dno't mind of some people wdn't think Eren is badass (seeing a 9-year old calling criminals rabid dogs that only look like humans seems too dangerous), but with this, nobody can deny that Eren is the reason that Mikasa's badass and has survived until now.

The problem I have with it is that no 9 year old would ever say that kind of thing, or would even have the capacity to think like that. Reality is that kids parrot what is said around them, only as they grow older do they begin to have their own ideas, thought-processes, language. As of yet, there is no real indication that Eren's parents taught him anything concerning the idea of criminals being rabid dogs that only look like humans. That is a concept that is just too deep for me to accept that a child came up with it on his/her own, not to mention the whole "fight or die!" concept. I think they could easily have kept him doing something like that (killing the shit out of some people at a young age to save Mikasa) without shoving concepts into his mouth that don't belong there.

It's just a part of the story-line that I don't think works that well. For one, it's unrealistic. For another, it doesn't seem to fit the character all that well. Regardless of what the people he killed were doing (and yeah, they definitely deserved it) for a kid like that to display such unthinking violence with not even a hint of remorse is a strong sign of serious mental disorders. You'd have to be one fucked up little kid to do that (again, let's be clear, the dudes deserved it) and not have any mental hang-ups about it. Maybe they'll go into that later, but they gave no hints of it before which is a flaw imo. And having him be an angry person doesn't cut it. That kind of behavior should have manifested itself in a lot of different ways other than rash and quick to anger and prone to aggression. Due to it being so out-of-the-blue and a little bit over-the-top, I just can't help but think that a big part of the motivation behind putting that particular story in there was to outline how "badass" a character he is.

It just would have been better to me to have him save her from wolves or something. Or to give signs in his personality BEFORE this happened (being only slightly more aggressive than 99% of boys his age would be doesn't cut it) that hinted at something like that existing within him. And it was definitely a mistake, IMO, to have him spouting off concepts like: "Criminals are rabid dogs" and "Fight or die!" unless it was clear that he was parroting someone elses thoughts.

Um, are you serious? Not every kid parrots someone elses thoughts. I for one think you are way too narrow minded. When I was 9 I was spouting things like killing my own teacher and I did understand the concept that the strong lives and the weak dies.

A concept you could never accept? It seems like you need to wake up and actually go meet people outside of your comfort zone. If you think every little kid out there gets to live in luxury, then no sorry. Some people also mature faster and killing people with no remorse isn't fucked up. People have been killing to survive ever since long ago, to me killing humans is nothing wrong. So what if we're of the same species? What gives you the right to think all so high and almighty? You deserve death if you torture others, don't play the pacifist please, I hate pacifists who have no understanding of others at all.

If you want to be a jesus-yamato-christ in this forum, please don't. Go away please.
May 11, 2013 5:13 PM

Jun 2012
Mikasa's back story is one of the saddest I've seen, and Eren was pretty badass. Can't wait for next week, and the anime is going exactly as the manga is,so far. GOD WHY DO WE HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER WEEK?
May 11, 2013 5:16 PM

Feb 2013
Dark_Messiah said:
Kratos_Ortega said:

this titan very erotic.. :D

haven't seen something this fabulous since Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
May 11, 2013 5:17 PM

Apr 2013
this would have been so much more powerful ç_ç
Comparison of a scene with the manga page, NSFM:

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags around the manga page because it was NSFM. Also removed untagged spoiler about future events.
LunaMay 12, 2013 1:36 AM
May 11, 2013 5:17 PM

Oct 2011
Armin still in shocked after Eren's death. We see Franz who was half eaten.
That Titan surprised me when it ran across . Then Mikasa flawlessly killed it and other one later on. Damn so that's what happen to her parents. Eren was the reason why she was alive and why she cares for him so much. Eren was bad*** back then.

Hmm when the Titans was killed they looked like they were disintegrating/burning up? There was steam coming off from them.
May 11, 2013 5:18 PM

Jul 2009
damn. he was a killer as a kid.
and what's with her breaking the floor before the stab LOL. super human?
May 11, 2013 5:19 PM

Sep 2011
stAtic91 said:
Tyrel said:

I personally like the thick outlines a lot. Artwork =/= animation.

I never gave examples of the animation but it's pretty obvious in the show. I only gave the example of the bad artwork.

Takana_no_Hana said:
Tyrel said:

They're a new found company.

It's Production I.G + Wits Studio.
May 11, 2013 5:23 PM

Apr 2012
It was a nice flashback episode, but this was the worst time to show it.
May 11, 2013 5:23 PM

Apr 2010
Just wanted to point out that the "super human" strength of Mikassa was actually in the manga as well.

antonnMay 11, 2013 5:27 PM
May 11, 2013 5:24 PM

May 2013
AnimeFan500 said:
Armin still in shocked after Eren's death. We see Franz who was half eaten.
That Titan surprised me when it ran across . Then Mikasa flawlessly killed it and other one later on. Damn so that's what happen to her parents. Eren was the reason why she was alive and why she cares for him so much. Eren was bad*** back then.

Hmm when the Titans was killed they looked like they were disintegrating/burning up? There was steam coming off from them.

I think that lecture talked of them being very hot and it was raining so it was steam... Makes them more scary anyway...

That childhood... Still, I wonder what stuff Eren's father has been doing all along...
May 11, 2013 5:25 PM

Apr 2010
Durbikins said:
It was a nice flashback episode, but this was the worst time to show it.

It will make more sense next week as to why they showed it now.
May 11, 2013 5:27 PM

Sep 2012
Uhhhh flashback episode, still cant wait for the next episode though
May 11, 2013 5:29 PM

Feb 2009
I lost it at that Titan's girly run. I thought they might delay this flashback until later when the incident gets mentioned again
but it's fine to do it here as it was originally, too. Can't wait to see some of the stuff coming up.
May 11, 2013 5:31 PM

Jan 2009
holy shit they replace the somewhat injection scene of Mikasa for a cloth stitching to represent their clans symbol
May 11, 2013 5:35 PM

Dec 2012
Holy shit! Eren was such a badass even when he was a kid! Mikasa too! Definitely one of the better animes to come out this :D
May 11, 2013 5:35 PM

Sep 2011

For anyone interested in the #'s regarding the number of animators and stuff. Budget isn't the problem like numerous people have been saying or "Saving budget" per say.

Episode 2 had 20 Key Animators and 2 Secondary Animators
Episode 6 had 34 Key Animators and 39 Secondary Key animators..
May 11, 2013 5:36 PM

Jun 2012
Great flashback I liked the part with the scarf and Eren telling Mikasa that they were going home. Mikasa was awesome in this episode and young Eren was awesome too.

I see a lot of people complaining because of the flashback, it's really annoying.
5/5
Great episode I have high hopes for the next one as well.
If strength is justice, then is powerlessness a crime?

May 11, 2013 5:36 PM

Apr 2012
I'm kind of disappointed since I went ahead and ruined what happened/going to happen by reading the manga. And now I don't get as hyped up for the anime.

Anyways, this episode was really good. I liked the new song they added. I didn't like the angle they chose to show Franz (the guy Hannah was doing C.P.R. on) since it was kind of hard to tell he was cut in half. But the rest of the episode helped me realize small details that I didn't notice in the manga.

I wonder what made Eren into such a 'crazy kid.' He killed those two men without hesitation and brutally stabbed the second guy over and over again.

Furthermore, is it just me, or is it weird that Dr. Jaeger visited Mikasa many times when she was younger. I mean, anime typically don't point out things like kids being sick a lot, unless it was a big deal. Did he do something? What was in his basement. And what did Dr. Jaeger do to Eren (as seen in Episode 2).

MEanimaniac1 said:
Mikasa's back story is one of the saddest I've seen, and Eren was pretty badass. Can't wait for next week, and the anime is going exactly as the manga is,so far. GOD WHY DO WE HAVE TO WAIT ANOTHER WEEK?

Kurapika from Hunter x Hunter also had a sad backstory
FrostToasterMay 11, 2013 5:42 PM
May 11, 2013 5:38 PM

Oct 2012
Oh damn, that part where Eren saved Mikasa was awesome!
I really liked the part where Eren gave Mikasa the scarf :)

Mar 2010
Great episode, the relationship between Eren and Mikasa much more profound now. Eren's actions are definitely surprising, but understandable. I always knew he had a strong sense of justice, but I didn't know just much. This is of course guy a who throw himself into a Titans mouth if meant he would save person. He certain cares a lot about people.

May 2012
by far my favorite anime this season, this is gonna be awesome.
and that must have been freaking traumatizing. watching her parents killed right in front of her. and i still can't believe they went and killed eren off, he was pretty awesome, but mikasa is by far the most awesome, especially how she just killed that titan and helped those people out at the beginning.
Looking forward to next week to see how she reacts to Eren's death. gonna be good.
May 11, 2013 5:40 PM

Dec 2012
j0x said:
holy shit they replace the somewhat injection scene of Mikasa for a cloth stitching to represent their clans symbol
May 11, 2013 5:41 PM

Aug 2012
Tyrel said:

For anyone interested in the #'s regarding the number of animators and stuff. Budget isn't the problem like numerous people have been saying or "Saving budget" per say.

Oooh, good information!
May 11, 2013 5:43 PM

Aug 2012
They kind of censored showing Franz chopped in half, which is going to be less impacty for many people who didnt notice it.
And I like how accurately it follows the manga
May 11, 2013 5:43 PM

Jan 2009
Monde11 said:
j0x said:

i fully agree
May 11, 2013 5:44 PM

Sep 2011
xDanielWang said:
They kind of censored showing Franz chopped in half, which is going to be less impacty for many people who didnt notice it.
And I like how accurately it follows the manga

I hope they show all the uncensored stuff in the BD.
May 11, 2013 5:45 PM

Apr 2012
3nvy said:
That scene where eren was telling mikasa to fight was dumb.
"if you don't fight you won't win" No shit, sherlock. And then the bad guy, hearing this exchange and knowing there's a knife on the floor behind him, just lets mikasa stab him. And eren coherently talked while being strangled to death. And mikasa broke floorboards despite being like 10.
and then we remember this is a shonen anime, lol.
"I’m just watching a bad dream I never wake up from."
May 11, 2013 5:45 PM

Apr 2010
Monde11 said:
j0x said:

May 11, 2013 5:47 PM
Jun 2008
I thought the city has a 100year peaceful history. It was strange to see how violent Eren was in his childhood. If Eren was a son of a war lord or bandit's son with violence influence , I am sure Eren can become violent as well. Unfortunately, Eren father is not that kind of person. I hope the Anime will give another flashback to show us why Eren has such behavior just to fill in this plot hole.
The flashback in manga very unrealistic for me as I already mentioned a few episode back but still It was nice to watch if I pretend I am just stupid and its a bit dangerous to even aired something like this...
I read the VangaBond manga and I think Tsujikaze Kohei at least has a more logical explanation than this.
May 11, 2013 5:47 PM

Apr 2011

Lets go home :)

Mod Edit: Removed advertising.
LunaMay 12, 2013 1:43 AM
May 11, 2013 5:48 PM

Jan 2011

Rape mode activated
[center]
May 11, 2013 5:51 PM

Oct 2012
'Tis ok episode.
I enjoyed it, though I really wanted to see how/if Eren gets rescued :l
Meh. Still enjoyable.

May 11, 2013 5:51 PM

Jan 2009
Tyrel said:

makes you think that quantity does not mean quality

i agree with you that the animation went downhill on this episode and as far as i remember only episode 1 is the only highly animated episode so far

i bet the reason for the animation quality drop is time problems they maybe animating an episode a week before it airs so they do not have enough time to make awesome animations
May 11, 2013 5:52 PM
Mar 2010
Ah well that was quite disappointing. That scene was one of my favorite moments in the manga, and the way they're potrayed it simply doesn't give it justice. Still pretty good episode though.
Pages (20) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

42 by BETTY_ »»
Apr 24, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 25, 2013

971 by Confessor0 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.