Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (31) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
May 4, 2013 6:52 PM

Oct 2012
MaxCrazy7 said:
Most of you don't want to believe Eren is dead. I mean Jesus must be jealous, when he died everyone thought he was dead and he is God's son for crying out loud. Even after he came back to life they still couldn't believe it!
the rules of life, and the rules of anime are different
May 4, 2013 6:53 PM
Dec 2012
I'm going to have to wait 2 weeks or so to watch what I've been waiting to see since the anime started ><
May 4, 2013 6:54 PM

Jul 2012
MaxCrazy7 said:
Most of you don't want to believe Eren is dead. I mean Jesus must be jealous, when he died everyone thought he was dead and he is God's son for crying out loud. Even after he came back to life they still couldn't believe it!

Thing is, this is anime, not reality (or the bible, depending on your beliefs which no one really wants to hear, so just keep them to yourself). In anime, you can nuke someone and they can live to tell the tale.
Wecc said:
All Hail HaXXspetten King of the Loli Traps!

May 4, 2013 6:55 PM
Nov 2012
PaninaManina said:
OfficialGuts said:
VioLink said:
Whelp, Eren's dead. Show is over, its been fun guys!
I thought every1 knew Mikasa was the real MC ? Eren is just a side character guys..
Spoilers become so banal that no one know in what believe anymore.
I warned from the beginning, Shingeki makes caster of MCs, nobody believed.

Guys its gonna be a tragic ending. Ups a spoiler. Eren died guys. But anyways! WHAT IS WRONG WITH THE WRITER! HE IS SO BAD AND AMAZING AT THE SAME TIME! HOW CAN THAT BE?!
May 4, 2013 6:57 PM

Nov 2007
OT: I am so loving so many ongoing anime right now! I cannot believe when was the last time we had so many thoroughly enjoyable anime airing at the same time!

We have Shingeki.
We have Uchuu Kyoudai.
We have Chihayafuru S2.
We have Hunter X Hunter (2011).

And then there are very good shows such as Gargantia, Hataraki Maou, Yahari Ore and Hentai Ouji. Not to mention lolwut ones such as Valvrave, Utapuri 2000%, Hyakka Bride etc. This is definitely one of the best few months for ongoing anime followers in recent years! At least for me. ;)
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 4, 2013 6:57 PM

May 2012
what the fuck? that ending? now i have to wait till next week, dammit...
But that episode what freaking awesome, that colossal titan, disappeared, then everyone getting eaten at the end and erin getting messed up, cant wait till the next episode.
May 4, 2013 7:01 PM

Apr 2012
Never read the manga, but I have something called Protagonist Immunity. It is sorta my belief that the protag can't really die, he/she will get super close to it at times, but won't die.
anyways. I'm sure Eren will be back better than ever.
Now that I think about it... he lost an arm and a leg right?
WHICH OTEHR ANIME CHARACTER HAS LOST AN ARM AND A LEG BEFORE???? I WONDER WHO.

May 4, 2013 7:02 PM

Jan 2011
cool only read a little bit ahead of this a few months ago so pretty soon everything is gonna be new to me!
May 4, 2013 7:04 PM
Nov 2011
Raikenzera said:
This episode was alright, but here's my thoughts near the end:

Well, Armin, I'm sorry to say this, but you can't expect to stand around like a pussy in the face of danger and not get... Are you fucking serious, Eren?! Gah, shounen MCs... always talk so big about defending everyone, only to get themselves killed for no good reason. Well, let's see what magical plot device they use to bring him back without a scratch.

Visit:
http://myanimelist.net/anime/16498/Shingeki_no_Kyojin/characters

Notice that Eren, Mikasa and Armin are all listed as MAIN characters (MC) whereas everyone else is Supporting.

Ya know why? Cause this series really has 3 MCs.

Eren is the hotblooded type of MC.
Armin is the weak (tries to be brave) MC.
Mikasa is the cool very skilled type of MC.

When it comes to MCs, this series very well-rounded.
May 4, 2013 7:08 PM
Nov 2011
pming said:
Raikenzera said:

Well, Armin, I'm sorry to say this, but you can't expect to stand around like a pussy in the face of danger and not get... Are you fucking serious, Eren?! Gah, shounen MCs... always talk so big about defending everyone, only to get themselves killed for no good reason. Well, let's see what magical plot device they use to bring him back without a scratch.

Visit:

Notice that Eren, Mikasa and Armin are all listed as MAIN characters (MC) whereas everyone else is Supporting.

main MC that is MMC is Eren
May 4, 2013 7:13 PM

Nov 2012
Messingo said:
Never read the manga, but I have something called Protagonist Immunity. It is sorta my belief that the protag can't really die, he/she will get super close to it at times, but won't die.

Haha, I have the same thing! Only question is, how will he survive? I guess Mikasa will come back and cut open the titan's stomach?
May 4, 2013 7:14 PM

Jul 2012
pming said:
Raikenzera said:

Visit:

And the point you're trying to make is? In response to your post, it's not like the 3 MCs are anything new for shounen anime. Hotblooded, weak, and cool, huh, what other shounen anime has that... Oh yeah, Naruto. Now before you (or anyone else for that matter) goes on a rampage, I'm not saying these characters are as bad as Naruto (that's pretty hard to do) I'm just saying this is nothing controversial in terms of characters for a shounen anime. The only thing I find controversial is the brutality. That aside, there's nothing much else for this show.
Wecc said:

Aug 2011
Delicious.

Sep 2012
God that was an amazing episode! I don't think Eren is dead yet, and I'm really looking forward to knowing about Mikasa's past.
May 4, 2013 7:15 PM
Nov 2011
Mubashwer said:
pming said:
Raikenzera said:

Visit:

main MC that is MMC is Eren

This series has a trio as MC.

So, if you dislike hotblooded MC type, Mikasa and Armin is for you. If you dislike weak non-action MC type, Mikasa and Eren is for you. If you dislike cool OP MC type, you'll like hardworkers Eren and Armin.
May 4, 2013 7:15 PM

Mar 2011
bastek66 said:

That Titan is kawaii as fuck.
May 4, 2013 7:16 PM
Nov 2011
Raikenzera said:
pming said:
Raikenzera said:

Visit:

And the point you're trying to make is? In response to your post, it's not like the 3 MCs are anything new for shounen anime. Hotblooded, weak, and cool, huh, what other shounen anime has that... Oh yeah, Naruto. Now before you (or anyone else for that matter) goes on a rampage, I'm not saying these characters are as bad as Naruto (that's pretty hard to do) I'm just saying this is nothing controversial in terms of characters for a shounen anime. The only thing I find controversial is the brutality. That aside, there's nothing much else for this show.

Then, I must rec you drop it.

The gore gets worse.
May 4, 2013 7:17 PM

Jan 2013
I have very mixed feelings on this anime-

On the one hand, the author put a lot of work into a lot of aspects of plot & detail. The characters are pretty cliche, but I think for an anime like this that's not too bad a thing. The situations are pretty well staged- it's got a lot going for it. It's got a good heap of awesome...

On the other hand, the author didn't do any real research on castles, fortifications, military strategy/operations and the like. Likewise cannons as armaments are clearly ineffective- and apparently inventing a new spiderman-rig can be done, but there doesn't seem to be any intermediate tech, or other uses for the tech.

The main breakdowns for me are:
- No moat.
- Why does that teleporting titan never teleport inside?
- I can't imagine the reason why they have no bear traps or spikes setup.
- Gunpowder, but no bombs?
- I'll pretend no poisons work, nor acid or hot metals/tar/whatever.
- No siege engines http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballista

- How the hell did they decide titans were mindless?
- Everyone is ridiculously stupid. I get that they are all green and whatnot, but seriously? Years of training, and no-one is competent?
- No apparent regard for chain of command. 'Don't run or you die' is it?
- You've all got 2 friggin swords and grappling tech. Doing damage inside a mouth doesn't come to mind? wtf?
- On that note they should all be carrying explosives to throw- never mind- explosives are strictly for cannons...
- And 3 years and they made no effort to fortify the gate? or the wall which was already known to be weak...

I'm not so much trying to nit-pick as point out some really basic stuff is just overlooked for story sake. If there was an explanation as to 'why'- I'd be more ok- but mostly the author just wants 'this'- which is fine, just a few explanations would be good.

I'd actually be more interested in the earlier era- and the 'genius' that organized building it while Titans were walking around!

(sigh)

I don't mind the story so much or the plot direction or any character dying or whatever- but i don't get why the tech evolved like it did. Not saying it should mirror medieval armaments- they look to be beyond that in one sense, and at the same time not as far. I dunno- the logistics of the battles is interesting- to me you would think immobilizing a single titan would make killing it less risky. I can easily see them with a separate rig- for shooting the ground or a building, then a titan's feet, then others moving on to hands...

Anyway- I guess I'm saying the author put a hella lot of work in some areas, and totally skimped in others. It's still pretty good, but distractingly lopsided.
If you aren't watching Zetsuen no Tempest (Civilization Blaster), you should be. Brilliant writing with legit plot twists.

Just finished blog entry 'Japanese Authors Take Heed' Series (JATH)! Entry 03: Proactive Villains, Reactionary Heroes'.
May 4, 2013 7:17 PM

Dec 2012
This is ridiculous, I just can't predict what's going to happen next at all, and I love it. That's it, I'm giving this show 10/10 right now. They'd have to royally screw up for my rating to drop now.
May 4, 2013 7:21 PM

Jul 2012
pming said:
Raikenzera said:
pming said:
Raikenzera said:

Visit:

Then, I must rec you drop it.

The gore gets worse.

I suppose "controversial" was the wrong word to use. By that, I mean the gore is the only thing that I find surprising in a good way, especially for a shounen anime.
Wecc said:

May 4, 2013 7:23 PM

Aug 2010
Another amazing episode, hot damn it just keeps getting better and better!
May 4, 2013 7:23 PM

Jul 2012
bloggbigg said:

- No moat.

- Everyone is ridiculously stupid. I get that they are all green and whatnot, but seriously? Years of training, and no-one is competent?
- You've all got 2 friggin swords and grappling tech. Doing damage inside a mouth doesn't come to mind? wtf?
- On that note they should all be carrying explosives to throw- never mind- explosives are strictly for cannons...
- And 3 years and they made no effort to fortify the gate? or the wall which was already known to be weak...

This pretty much sums up what I don't get with the show right now.
Wecc said:

May 4, 2013 7:25 PM

Jul 2012
Edefrem said:
bastek66 said:

Must come up with new word to describe kawaii giants.
Wecc said:

May 4, 2013 7:28 PM

Dec 2012
I knew shit was gonna get real in this episode, but fuck. That wasn't even an episode....

That was a bloody massacre!

They're all dead. All those characters I had started to enjoy being there, as side characters. I knew it would probably happen but ughiogdfhjk.

I need to go and think about things. If you need me, I'll be on my bed. Probably crying for, oh, 4 and a half minutes.
/人 ◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
May 4, 2013 7:30 PM

Apr 2009
Raikenzera said:
bloggbigg said:

- No moat.

A lot of these questions can be answered with spoilers from the manga, but do you really want me to go there?
May 4, 2013 7:32 PM
Nov 2011
Raikenzera said:
bloggbigg said:

- No moat.

Kek. What makes you think that Titans can't swim.

Traps are useless. Did you miss the part where the instructor told them that Titans could heal even with their heads blown off?

Yeah, they can heal every part of their body, except for back of the neck.

Look up "grape shots". They're explosive type shots.
Site Admin
Aug 2012
bloggbigg said:

-They decided (most) titans are mindless because observation of them will tell anyone that they don't think, if they did, they could probably work together and climb up the walls or something. If they were intelligent, they would probably be able to speak with each other, yet they don't interact with anything and not even their kind. Obviously the Colossal Titan and the Armored Titan are deviants.
-Yes years of training and most of them are not competent because most of them have not had experience with titans. Most people when encountering them, would be like Armin, fearing for their lives. And when that happens, people will make blunders and most likely die.
-Not sure about the chain of command thing, too lazy to think right now.
-Well, not sure if doing damage to the mouth would do any good since the titans regenerate very quickly unless it's the back of the neck. Plus his leg has been cut off and can't think straight, he's tired, the only option that Eren saw was to go through the mouth.
-Carrying explosives will only be good for the short run, why bother carrying extra baggage (when already had to carry the blades and the 3DMG) when their main way of killing the titans is to cut of a chunk of flesh?
-It hasn't been said yet, and I don't really think it's a spoiler so I'll say it anyways. In the manga, they tell you that they don't have the technology to fix the wall. And later on, you'll find out why. This will be explained.

Not sure if I answered your questions, but I tried. ^^
tingyMay 4, 2013 7:35 PM

Jul 2012
Amarrez said:
Raikenzera said:
bloggbigg said:

- No moat.

A lot of these questions can be answered with spoilers from the manga, but do you really want me to go there?

Nah, but it's nice to know there will be an explanation. And for that, I thank you.
Wecc said:

Nov 2012
Amarrez said:
Raikenzera said:
bloggbigg said:

- No moat.

I hope they have time to answer then in 25 episodes.. Or that there will be a second season.
Oct 2012
Raikenzera said:
Edefrem said:
bastek66 said:

Make a spinoff anime called 'Ore no Kyojin ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai'?

Aug 2008
Can't wait for Eren's Heroic BSOD!
"Everyone wears their own panties inside their heart" - Kousaku Hata

May 4, 2013 7:33 PM
Jan 2013
Shingeki no Kyojin episode 5 = wut
May 4, 2013 7:34 PM

Sep 2011
bloggbigg said:
I have very mixed feelings on this anime-

- No moat.
-Explosives >Look up grapeshots.

-What will a moat do? They have limited resources as it is. Titans are big and you saw that for yourself. They can't just make a average 15-20m+ Deep moat that stretches throughout.
-Why does that teleporting titan never teleport inside? Not really said, but it's somewhat shown.
-Spikes, beatraps, etc won't help them. If cannon balls can't do shit, what will these do? They can just crawl.
-Poisons probably don't exist in this ERA.
-No clue here for siege engine.

-Years of training and no one competent? Well of course they had Zero/Little Actual combat. Pretty sure it's zero
-Damaging mouth going to shit all, damaging back of the neck only works to kill em.
-Fortify the wall with what? That colossal titan would just kick it down like it's a wooden wall. Plus it hasn't even been said in the manga.

A lot of these answers can be said with common sense, not spoilers like some people said. But yes, the manga explores into it more.
TyrelMay 4, 2013 7:39 PM
May 4, 2013 7:35 PM

Jul 2012
pming said:
Raikenzera said:
bloggbigg said:

- No moat.

Traps are useless. Did you miss the part where the instructor told them that Titans could heal even with their heads blown off?

On the traps: Sure, they may not kill them, but I'd think they're capable of slowing them down.
Wecc said:

May 4, 2013 7:35 PM

Sep 2011
tingy said:
bloggbigg said:

-They decided (most) titans are mindless because observation of them will tell anyone that they don't think, if they did, they could probably work together and climb up the walls or something. If they were intelligent, they would probably be able to speak with each other, yet they don't interact with anything and not even their kind. Obviously the Colossal Titan and the Armored Titan are deviants.
-Yes years of training and most of them are not competent because most of them have not had experience with titans. Most people when encountering them, would be like Armin, fearing for their lives. And when that happens, people will make blunders and most likely die.
-Not sure about the chain of command thing, too lazy to think right now.
-Well, not sure if doing damage to the mouth would do any good since the titans regenerate very quickly unless it's the back of the neck. Plus his leg has been cut off and can't think straight, he's tired, the only option that Eren saw was to go through the mouth.
-Carrying explosives will only be good for the short run, why bother carrying extra baggage (when already had to carry the blades and the 3DMG) when their main way of killing the titans is to cut of a chunk of flesh?
-It hasn't been said yet, and I don't really think it's a spoiler so I'll say it anyways. In the manga, they tell you that they don't have the technology to fix the wall. And later on, you'll find out why. This will be explained.

Not sure if I answered your questions, but I tried. ^^

Dunno if this is a spoiler, but theres political reasons to the last question
"Justice Never Dies!" - Kenji Endou, 20th century Boys
May 4, 2013 7:37 PM

Feb 2010
His sister is cute this episode. That was a bit fast for Eren to lose limbs and potentially die?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 4, 2013 7:37 PM

Mar 2011
XLNC said:
Raikenzera said:
Edefrem said:
bastek66 said:

10/10 #wouldwatch
May 4, 2013 7:38 PM

Jul 2012
XLNC said:
Raikenzera said:
Edefrem said:
bastek66 said:

Genius, we'll call it OreKyo for short.
Wecc said:

May 4, 2013 7:39 PM

Mar 2010
pralan said:
Eren T_T

i heard hes gonna invest in some automail...
May 4, 2013 7:39 PM
Nov 2011
Raikenzera said:
pming said:
Raikenzera said:
bloggbigg said:

- No moat.

On the traps: Sure, they may not kill them, but I'd think they're capable of slowing them down.

Nope, as the instructor mentions - they can regenerate their heads in 1-2 minutes.

Other wound types are healed even faster. Especially flesh wounds. That's why they had to concentrate on hitting the back of the neck.
May 4, 2013 7:40 PM

Sep 2011
pming said:
Raikenzera said:
pming said:
Raikenzera said:
bloggbigg said:

- No moat.

Nope, as the instructor mentions - they can regenerate their heads in 1-2 minutes.

Other wound types are healed even faster. Especially flesh wounds. That's why they had to concentrate on hitting the back of the neck.

Exactly. Extra baggage would just slow their movements, and as you can see they already get splatted enough as it is.
May 4, 2013 7:41 PM

Feb 2013
The next episode better be Eren bursting through the back of the Titan's neck
Well, how about this. My "luck" versus this thing's "curse". Wanna see what's stronger..? If I lose, then I'm just that much of a man anyways.

May 4, 2013 7:41 PM

Jan 2013
Amarrez said:

No- I have a background in 'excessive comics reading', and know how revisionist history works. I haven't read the manga, but I'm sure the story gets better and more sensible over time. The point is, do those answers adequately explain the situation now? If so, good. I don't know if any answers will be sensible or retcon, but at least there is that to look forward to. The point is, 'now' everyone is running around not even commenting on the shortcomings- 'I wish we had more sulfur so we could make more bombs' or 'I can't believe the nobles won't budget us the traps we requested- we're lucky to still be getting rigs' or whatever.
That kind of thing.
Anyway- a 'heads up' is fine- but no spoiler is necessary, I'll wait long as it gets better. I may read the manga if I get impatient. :)
If you aren't watching Zetsuen no Tempest (Civilization Blaster), you should be. Brilliant writing with legit plot twists.

Just finished blog entry 'Japanese Authors Take Heed' Series (JATH)! Entry 03: Proactive Villains, Reactionary Heroes'.
May 4, 2013 7:42 PM

Feb 2012
Raikenzera said:
XLNC said:
Raikenzera said:
Edefrem said:
bastek66 said:

Genius, we'll call it OreKyo for short.

Hmm since all of the titans are male... This must be a Bishounen Titan
May 4, 2013 7:42 PM

Feb 2009
bloggbigg said:

- No moat.

This would only really be of any use against the shorter titans, and would still need to be pretty deep for that. Once a decent number of them show up, they can just climb over any that get stuck, too.

It was explained in this episode, but nothing other than slicing out that part of their neck will kill them. They regenerate quickly from all other damage and don't react to pain, so the best you can hope for is immobilizing some, and they have huge numbers on their side, so if you trip a few up and keep them there, the rest can just climb over them.

All of the "normal" titans have always acted mindlessly, just heading straight for humans with no thought but to eat. The only exceptions have been the Colossal and Armored titans which were not seen before they showed up here (there is a reason for this, it's a spoiler)
May 4, 2013 7:43 PM

Mar 2013
oh dang nonono
what the fuck why
eren ;_;
it thought this would be like any other show and the good guys would come out on top

this is so fucked
eren please come back
May 4, 2013 7:46 PM

Jan 2013
WTF JUST HAPPEN
May 4, 2013 7:46 PM

Mar 2013
He's coming back next episode, right guys? This has got to be misleading.
May 4, 2013 7:47 PM
Sep 2009
Holy crap, that escalated quickly! Down an arm and a leg. I love the intensity in his eyes when he gets up and saves Armin.
May 4, 2013 7:48 PM

Mar 2013
StrictlyStupid said:
He's coming back next episode, right guys? This has got to be misleading.
pls respond
Pages (31) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» The GOAT first episode

Bolbysaur - Apr 17

42 by BETTY_ »»
Apr 24, 11:28 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 25, 2013

971 by Confessor0 »»
Apr 18, 10:22 AM

» Bug on the app

Jackson_rajkumar - Apr 13

3 by Jackson_rajkumar »»
Apr 15, 4:46 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 28, 2013

1651 by c444de »»
Apr 14, 12:43 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 27, 2013

940 by 4amps »»
Apr 11, 9:56 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.