Forum Settings
Forums
New
Is Hadashi no Gen a grand film, or does it deserve its on special place in Hell?
This series is for true patricians and belongs in the enlightenment list!
22.2%
This series is neither very enlightening, nor is it very harmful to view; add this series to neither list.
16.7%
This series is for plebeians and belongs in the relations list!
0.0%
I haven't seen the series, but this button is just so sexy...
61.1%
18 votes
Apr 29, 2013 8:54 AM

Mar 2009
Fellow Blue Bloods,
Only your written response will be counted; please write the option you chose at the top of your post! Deliberate upon your opinion and what you think of this film. Use the opinions expressed here to determine if you would watch this series, but do not vote if you have not seen it in its entirety.

Let's have a nice, intelligent discussion! Anyone caught misbehaving will be warped to 1945 Japan.
AlabastreAizoMay 6, 2013 10:51 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Apr 29, 2013 9:02 AM

Aug 2009
Definitely option 1 for me.

I shall elaborate later because I am in a hurry now, just commenting here so I don't forget to vote.

I consider Hadashi no Gen, as Zeta already said, obligatory viewing.
It is not an anime meant to be enjoyed (in the traditional sense of the word) and definitely not an easy watch. It's a heart-wrenching experience, an experience that leaves a profound impact, but an experience that one should go through.

I cannot really bring myself to talk about animation, characters and all that jazz when talking about Hadashi no Gen, because I feel it is not possible to truly evaluate this anime using standard means. There is no other anime like Hadashi no Gen (sure, Grave of the Fireflies is somewhat similar, but it's still different) thus I can't compare it to any.

Gen is one of the few anime I would recommend to almost everyone (regardless whether they are anime viewers or not). It is both a lesson (all while never trying to be preachy, just realistically depicting horrors of war and atomic bomb aftermath) and one of the examples of the powers of anime as a medium.
metamorphiusApr 29, 2013 9:52 AM
Apr 29, 2013 9:23 AM

Feb 2008
Option 1 for me.

The directing may not be as good as in Grave of the Fireflies, but overall I found the movie more entertaining. It's quite different compared to the manga, where everything is black. Barefoot Gen showed us the contrast between the period before and after the bomb. While the whole family had problems in the manga, they were a happy family in the movie, and everything was fine (far from great, but still good) until the bomb. After the bomb everything turned black and bad. I really liked the contrast between the two parts as it makes the second half even sadder.

My only complain about the movie is the part with the bomb. It was too over the top. They didn't have to show us every little detail. And the showed those melted people way too often. This is the first and only time I was disgusted by an anime, since it's realistic, compared to the "LOL I CHOP YOUR HEAD. LOOK BRAIN DAAAAAH"

It really is a must see classic. The production values aren't too high, but it's still a great historical movie, showing the horrors of Hiroshima.

P.S. I recommend the movie Glass Rabbit to everyone who liked this. I like it even more than Gen and Grave, and it's sad that only 226 people on MAL completed it. That's mostly because it was translated last year, so many people probably didn't even hear about it.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 29, 2013 12:46 PM

Jun 2011
Option 2. This series is neither very enlightening, nor is it very harmful to view (except for those who got hurt by the face melting) ; add this series to neither list.

This is reminiscent of To Kill A Mockingbird in the sense that it takes a child's point of to tell about the awful things that can happen to people. This is certainly more Japanese, obviously in it's setting and events, but also in their fondness for expository narrative style. It certainly feels like a child retelling the events. From the choppy progression, and the extreme highlighting/ tonal shifts that are given to everyday and unusual occurrences alike. I get what they're trying to do, and they do it pretty well, but I still feel that it fell flat somehow.

I felt dissociated from the characters, and this is a really harmful aspect for a movie such as this. Some moments were really intense, but it was like they had an itchy trigger finger and kept trying to apply that harsh gravity when it didn't fit. Again, I know that is how a child's mind works, but this was by no means intended for a young audience. You have to meet your viewers halfway, and it just didn't.

I can't really recall anything about the soundtrack, which is unusual, and leads me to believe that it was mediocre. The art was off-putting at times, but it did know when and how to implement style changes for greater effect. The script wasn't bad, but it wasn't of a stand out nature either.

Now, a lot of that sounds really bad, which probably isn't the impression I want to give. This wasn't a bad movie, in fact, it was a good movie. But it certainly wasn't great. This movie is neither enlightening, nor is it worthy of hate by any means.
Apr 29, 2013 5:34 PM

Apr 2009
Option 1, I can only second everything meta and Zeta said about this movie.
This is one of the few very essential anime movies inherent to Japanese culture and brutally realistic trip back into the horrors of war, the despair of the survivors and - let's not forget this - the hope that can be born even from the worst situations.

ForgoneReality said:
but it was like they had an itchy trigger finger and kept trying to apply that harsh gravity when it didn't fit.

I doubt there are many situations where the harsh reality wasn't as omnipresent as after an atom bomb detonation. As someone who has a bit of experience in voluntary work for the Red Cross and has met several victims of the incident in Chernobyl back then I can assure you that the dimension of such an extraordinary phenomenom can never be fully grasped by any kind of media. Yet, Barefoot Gen is a stunning movie regarding this subject.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Apr 30, 2013 4:14 AM

Jan 2013
option 1

it's one of the few animes that made me cry ( almost ), it's very touching and imo far superior in every way to Grave of the Fireflies.
shiranui51May 1, 2013 2:00 PM
May 1, 2013 1:04 PM

Sep 2012
Option 2
While it was a very touching movie and shows the reality of war is harassest way it got very sloppy directing sometimes and instead of focusing more on characters interaction it keep focusing more on events which imo distract viewers to get attached to characters(it harms a emotional story).Soundtrack in particular was forgettable.I do not care how much it touched me or made me cry it is still a no from me.
May 1, 2013 8:03 PM
Jul 2018
Option 2

It is like a beta version of Grave of the Fireflies. It indeed has some very brutal and shocking scenes, but the other part of the movie is where it crashes. Gen's character is horrible as is his voice acting in this movie. I guess the scriptwriters wanted to display some sort of "children's innocence" that way, but it was really badly handled and the film feels a tad amateurish and rushed when I watch it.

Nevertheless, this movie shouldn't be ignored for the historical and educational value it has.
May 2, 2013 3:46 AM

Oct 2012
Option 2

I don't dislike this film. And I agree with everyone when they say that this film has some weight, importance, and value. There were even times that it was uplifting in a way that isn't forced or contrived. It really had its moments.

That being said, there's not much to see beyond the jarring tale of nuclear war seen through the eyes of a child. The book works better. It's a medium sort of thing. The story doesn't work as good as an anime as it does in the book.
May 9, 2013 4:49 AM

Dec 2007
Option 2.

It is nice to watch it and so but I think probably there are other animes or mangas with similar plot.
May 9, 2013 5:20 AM

Aug 2009
11 people said:
I haven't seen the series, but this button is just so sexy... ---------- 61.11%

Really now? Goes to prove people like clicking for the sake of clicking.
metamorphiusMay 9, 2013 5:26 AM
May 9, 2013 9:14 AM

Mar 2009
Yeah, that is why I liked Amber's initial inclusion of the random button. I wanted to take away the random votes.
May 9, 2013 11:33 AM

Nov 2011
I've found that even people who actually did vote clicked that button anyway, haha.
May 9, 2013 3:41 PM

Apr 2012
Neane1993 said:
Option 2

It is like a beta version of Grave of the Fireflies. It indeed has some very brutal and shocking scenes, but the other part of the movie is where it crashes. Gen's character is horrible as is his voice acting in this movie. I guess the scriptwriters wanted to display some sort of "children's innocence" that way, but it was really badly handled and the film feels a tad amateurish and rushed when I watch it.

Nevertheless, this movie shouldn't be ignored for the historical and educational value it has.

I agree with most of this.
May 9, 2013 4:16 PM

Mar 2009
I made the button too sexy...
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Anime/Manga Recommendation Thread Based on Your List ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

removed-user - Jan 25, 2013

1162 by LeonhartAugust »»
May 13, 11:17 PM

Sticky: » The New Manga Enlightenment Camp - All plebes and Untermenschen MUST attend

Exinqt - Aug 21, 2015

31 by Ducat_Revel »»
Apr 2, 6:33 PM

» 10 Steps to Becoming an Anime Elitist

Deago - Jun 2, 2023

2 by AaronRRedfield »»
Jan 11, 3:52 PM

» Winter 2024 Overview

Deago - Dec 20, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Dec 20, 2023 8:24 AM

» Summer 2023 Overview

Deago - Jun 14, 2023

0 by Deago »»
Jun 14, 2023 7:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.