Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Nov 30, 2007 12:02 AM

Nov 2007
I loved it.I really like all the different references they throw at you.I'm sorry I'm a big fan of Azumanga Daioh,so it's a natural fit.LONG LIVE KONATA....MOAR!!!
Dec 4, 2007 5:07 AM

Oct 2007
etna69 said:
I loved it.I really like all the different references they throw at you.

That has to be one of the main thing in Lucky Star, because they talk about everyday life, gaming, anime, etc, it all depends on how you like that sort of stuff!

If you know Japanese culture, even a bit, you will understand what is going on, if you dont know anything there is no point watching as you will not be able to pick up half the jokes.
The other jokes revolve around references to VARIOUS other animes, ranging from posters, to comic lines, to cosplaying or even ringtones from those anime...

You can see scenes taken from: Shuffle, Keroro Gunsou, Getter Robo, Gunbuster , To Heart, Initial D, Cromartie High School, Kanon, Death Note, Dragon Ball, Strawberry Panic, Code Grease, Shakugan no Shana, Full Metal Alchemist, Yu gi oh, De Capo, Sergeant Frog and i must have missed many others as well...

As well as games like: Tekken, MMORPG's, Street fighter, Dating Sim.
Other stuff include bands/music from Japan, most of them are from anime as well which i was able to recognize.

They even include randomness like: Harry Potter or Timotei (the shampoo) that was funny :P they even go to watch SAW III :P

Mostly though they used A LOT OF "Suzumiya Haruhi no Yuuutsu" in there, including their dancing sequence, ring tones, karaoke, posters, cosplaying, etc
And a lot of Full Metal Panic: Fumoffu, you can see bonta-kun everywhere :P
Dec 5, 2007 12:47 AM

Oct 2007
I really didn't like Lucky Star one bit and that is because of the over commercialized nature of it. The entire show just felt like one big commercial for Haruhi season 2.

Also I don't like shows that rely on references to other shows for all the comedic/memorable moments.

I loved Azumanga Daioh but I didn't like Lucky Star due to the cold corporate feeling I got from this Pokemon-esqe purely commercialized product.
Dec 5, 2007 2:07 AM

Nov 2007
DigimonTamer said:
I really didn't like Lucky Star one bit and that is because of the over commercialized nature of it. The entire show just felt like one big commercial for Haruhi season 2.

Also I don't like shows that rely on references to other shows for all the comedic/memorable moments.

I loved Azumanga Daioh but I didn't like Lucky Star due to the cold corporate feeling I got from this Pokemon-esqe purely commercialized product.

Commercialized show? I'm sorry, but it's not a commercial if they don't advertise anything. If you haven't seen the anime, you're not likely to understand the references they use Lucky Star.

They don't have big, bold letters saying: "Watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya!" It’s humor for people who have ALREADY seen the anime and can relate to the material. They aren't advocating you watch anything...and in fact, I don't recall them mentioning the title of the anime even -once-.

No doubt you probably dislike Futurama, Family Guy, Simpsons, Seinfield...or any other show that relies on "references" to pop culture. Ah well, that's perfectly fine...I just think there are fairer reasons to dislike Lucky Star, than "it's advertisey" when it really isn't.
Dec 5, 2007 2:11 AM

Dec 2007
Lucky Star is good but you have to stick with the show. The first few eps aren't great, but its good when it picks up.

I disagree on Lucky Star being commercialized.. Though it's agreeable that KyotoAni advertised a bit too much Haruhi s2 in some episodes.
Dec 5, 2007 11:56 AM

Jun 2007
I didn't really see any advertisements for Haruhi Season 2, hell people were still clamoring about when and if a season 2 had been confirmed while Lucky Star was going on. It wasn't until that news paper article that we heard anything. It wasn't really advertisements, they were just references. Haruhi is popular and KyoAni makes it, anytime they try to directly reference an anime they haven't worked on like Gundam they censor it. Haruhi is something they can run away with.

Dec 6, 2007 12:11 AM

Nov 2007
windy said:
MOE MOE MOE
MUST STICK PENIS IN [LUCKY STAR GIRL'S NAME HERE]

also, voice actors.

Truth.
Dec 6, 2007 12:13 AM

Nov 2006
Legion17 said:
Roxkis said:
ahazkun said:
windy said:
MOE MOE MOE
MUST STICK PENIS IN [LUCKY STAR GIRL'S NAME HERE]

also, voice actors.

huh?

Thats what I said.......

Its a joke, cuz shes female.

hahahaha HOLY SHIT i wish i would have checked back in october to see who replied to my post. i didn't realize it was going to be so confusing. tnx to legion17 for clarifying that i am a girl and that's why i said it that way. i'm a girl that doesn't moe over loli-looking characters and uh...obviously this show was highly unappealing for me.
anyways i forgot my point, but i'm glad i confused some dudes.

oh yeah: none of you really laughed at the so-called comedy, admit it...you were all fapping furiously the entire time. ;)
Dec 6, 2007 1:44 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
BS.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Dec 6, 2007 8:46 AM

Nov 2007
Honestly, I haven't even seen any Lucky Star yet, but plan too...

What bothers me, though, are the number of people who write it off after two episodes. Even if those first two episodes are horribly boring, you have to watch at least seven or more episodes before you can really tell what any given anime is all about. Two episodes of a 24-episode series is a mere 8% of the whole series. Can you make an intelligent decision on, say, a book based on reading only 8%?

Take The Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring. If you read the first few chapters, what do you get? A bunch of hobbits talking without a lot actually happening. Is that anything like the rest of the book?

Now, far be it for me to compare a slice-of-life comedy like Lucky Star to a fantasy epic like LotR, but it's the same principle- only checking out the very beginning and thinking forming an opinion of the entire series based on that alone is foolishness.
kei-clone said:
*moves to Lucky Star board*

Roxkis said:

I don't see the point of watching an anime with no plot.

not all anime have to revolve around plots. Lucky Star is part of a genre called slice-of-life, and there's a lot of anime where there is no plot, and you just watch the daily life of characters. If you're looking for action you will be disappointed, so the answer is...don't look for action lol. Would you look for guns and explosions in an episode of Seinfeld or Friends? nope, and Lucky Star runs along these lines.

Good advice right there. Like any good media, anime isn't forced to revolve around a specific genre. My Roommate is the same way...if the anime doesn't revolve around an intricate plot with complex characters, suspense, and some awesome battles thrown in for good measure (a la Gungrave), it doesn't interest him. But I still believe that it's worth checking out anime of all genre to expand one's horizons and possibly gain an interest in other ways of storytelling. Just don't get into Ouran High School Host Club with the same mindset you would Death Note. It just doesn't work.
Dec 6, 2007 9:26 AM
Dec 2007
I'm 100% positive than the one's who got bored waiting for the jabs in Lucky Star get a total kick out of Hayate the Combat Butler (Hayate no Gotoku!).

I found Lucky Star to be a good anime, not something perfect because of some boring segments, but there's plenty in there you can fammiliarize with. It's not referencing for pure reference either, you can see a little of real-life everywhere in there. I found that if they had introduced the second batch of characters some episodes earlier (or maybe Kagami's classmates at least) they could have drawn people in better. The first few episodes are very love/hate too.

Dec 6, 2007 8:10 PM

Dec 2007
Meh, my opinion doesn't really have any backing to it, but i reckon it's a great anime :P
Just completely stupid.
Dec 12, 2007 9:30 AM

Sep 2007
Anyone who didn't get past episode 1-2 will say LS sucks, that's for sure.

I find LS is a very light hearted comedy and one that I can probably pick an episode when I feel like watching something instead of choosing a specific episode, just like Doraemon, AzuDaioh, Shin Chan etc.

The hype is there, just like Gurren Lagann and Haruhi. I don't want to comment about whether it is overrated or not, but personally, I love it. Some people just hate a show just because it is hyped, or popular. "It's hard to be popular"

And Haruhi references + KyoAni production makes the hatred worst IMHO.
Dec 16, 2007 2:17 AM

Nov 2007
Yeah, the first couple of episodes can really turn you off, but I kept watching since people said it gets better, which it did. But I still don't think it's as great as it's made out to be. Given, I haven't seen all the anime it references, but I got most of them. I enjoyed when Konata and Hiyori referenced anime clichés. Haruhi references were fine at first, but it got to the point where there were just too many. I really think the last third of the episodes are the best. Overall, I thought it was enjoyable and a nice break from drama/action, but I don't have a desire to re-watch it anytime soon.
Dec 16, 2007 11:27 AM
Jul 2018
Usually this anime would not have been something I was looking for but after someone told me to check Haruhi out and and this came out I had to give it a shot.

I love chibi style and this is full of it. I lived in Japan and went to high school so for me it felt like a home from home because girls in my school really did have the funniest conversations. Maybe not as random as this but funny non the less.

Konata reminds me of myself and it's sweet how they all interact with each other.

I can understand why people wouldn't like the series but it's a nice light series which can be watched whenever instead of some anime where you have to really keep up with it constantly.

I liked the ending stuff as well with their voice cast doing songs and silly video stuff at the end. I found that amusing!
Feb 11, 2008 7:41 AM

Jan 2008
I'm up to episode 4 and am liking this series due to its Azumanga Daioh-like traits, but mostly because of Izumi's voice. We can talk all we want about the parodies and obscure pop culture references thrown around this show, but I think Lucky Star succeeds mainly because of Hirano Aya's hilarious acting. She's the main crutch of the show, just like Hugh Laurie makes House for example, Aya is Lucky Star, such is the influence of voice actors in the medium of anime.

This is not to say I disregard everything else about the show, but without a main personality driving it, it would lose that spark and become pretty ho-hum.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Feb 19, 2008 5:20 PM

Feb 2008
i watched the first epp and i was like WTF? im going ot watch the rest, but i wont pull a marathon like i normally do. the whole thing just reminds me of Manabi Straight but i got into that one much faster than this one. oh well, well see what happens when i finaly figure out wich verison of Kanon ive seen. I have both lucky star and konon poised to be seen.

i might just suffer thorugh lucky star just so i can see what all the fuss is about.
Feb 19, 2008 5:29 PM

Jan 2008
Lucky Star is basically a gigantic in-joke. You're either in on it or you're not.

This is what I've learnt after finishing the series.
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Feb 19, 2008 6:49 PM

Sep 2007
Yeah. XD But I can relate to the characters in a lot of ways which is what makes it so great.

Feb 21, 2008 6:30 AM

Sep 2007
Sometimes you need a light hearted anime like this to come along and perk you're spirits up from watching the darker stuff.
Ah cheese, the devil's play thing.

Feb 21, 2008 8:47 AM

Jan 2008
i'm currently watching the first episodes of luckystar and i really like it. sure it has no story/drama/action/what-not-else. but once in a while it's great to just sit down, get away from all rl stress and watch something fun (without bothering "will they come together", "will they defeat the evil", etc) ^.^
Feb 24, 2008 9:25 PM

Feb 2008
Lucky Star was the first "slice-of-life" anime I watched, and the first few episodes weren't as good as I'd hoped, but I loved the characters, and the series kept getting better as more characters were introduced. That, and the show is overloaded with "moe". I was hooked by the time Yutaka appeared.

More than anything though, Konata's personality kept the series interesting. It wouldn't have been the same without Aya's voice acting.
Feb 24, 2008 9:49 PM

Nov 2007
windy said:

hahahaha HOLY SHIT i wish i would have checked back in october to see who replied to my post. i didn't realize it was going to be so confusing. tnx to legion17 for clarifying that i am a girl and that's why i said it that way. i'm a girl that doesn't moe over loli-looking characters and uh...obviously this show was highly unappealing for me.

oh yeah: none of you really laughed at the so-called comedy, admit it...you were all fapping furiously the entire time. ;)
cyruz said:
BS.

lmao windy got owned 8D

I'll give you 5 reasons as to why Lucky Star is one of my favorite series of all time:

• Moe moe moe
    Some people hate the concept of "moe" with a passion but if you even take a brief glance at LS you'll see that each character has been carefully crafted to parody moe itself. Konata is an exception here of course.

• The references
    Haruhi hate aside, the references in LS are all done wonderfully. There were so many times that I'd said out loud "Oh shit, that's *******". Keep in mind I'm a Haruhiist so those "overused' Haruhi references did appeal to me immensely.

• Shiraishi Minoru
    My god even if Akira did get somewhat annoying at times, this man was a master. The stuff he did (ending credits, Lucky Channel, etc.) was so ridiculous you can't help but laugh.

• The feeling of "close to home"
    Believe me, I don't think there is one person who watched LS and hasn't gone "I'VE DONE THAT BEFORE". Whether it was Konata doing the "Ahnnnnnnnn" thing with the fan or Tsukasa having a hard time getting to sleep, LS always managed to give me the feeling that I wasn't alone. There are others out there who have experienced the same problems or "lol" moments as I have.

• The heartwarming feeling
    By the end of the show I felt like I was basically a part of their small circle of friends. Every time I watched an episode I couldn't help but smile when they smiled. The trip to Kyoto in episode...er I forgot actually...was a perfect example. Just watching them go around the city, doing nothing hilarious in particular, made me feel good.

As many people have already expressed in this topic, Lucky Star is a show the grows on you AS YOU GO ON. Almost nothing in anime fandom disappoints me more when I hear someone say they dropped Lucky Star after episode one because "it had a stupid six minute talk about food". And like BlueYoshi already said, if you still don't feel anything for it after episode 6 or 7, then it truly isn't the anime for you.

/end TL;DR post that's four months late and that the thread starter will probably never see.
Feb 24, 2008 10:54 PM

Feb 2008
Xjellocross said:
windy said:

cyruz said:
BS.

lmao windy got owned 8D

I'll give you 5 reasons as to why Lucky Star is one of my favorite series of all time:

• Moe moe moe
    Some people hate the concept of "moe" with a passion but if you even take a brief glance at LS you'll see that each character has been carefully crafted to parody moe itself. Konata is an exception here of course.

• The references
    Haruhi hate aside, the references in LS are all done wonderfully. There were so many times that I'd said out loud "Oh shit, that's *******". Keep in mind I'm a Haruhiist so those "overused' Haruhi references did appeal to me immensely.

• Shiraishi Minoru
    My god even if Akira did get somewhat annoying at times, this man was a master. The stuff he did (ending credits, Lucky Channel, etc.) was so ridiculous you can't help but laugh.

Believe me, I don't think there is one person who watched LS and hasn't gone "I'VE DONE THAT BEFORE". Whether it was Konata doing the "Ahnnnnnnnn" thing with the fan or Tsukasa having a hard time getting to sleep, LS always managed to give me the feeling that I wasn't alone. There are others out there who have experienced the same problems or "lol" moments as I have.

By the end of the show I felt like I was basically a part of their small circle of friends. Every time I watched an episode I couldn't help but smile when they smiled. The trip to Kyoto in episode...er I forgot actually...was a perfect example. Just watching them go around the city, doing nothing hilarious in particular, made me feel good.

As many people have already expressed in this topic, Lucky Star is a show the grows on you AS YOU GO ON. Almost nothing in anime fandom disappoints me more when I hear someone say they dropped Lucky Star after episode one because "it had a stupid six minute talk about food". And like BlueYoshi already said, if you still don't feel anything for it after episode 6 or 7, then it truly isn't the anime for you.

/end TL;DR post that's four months late and that the thread starter will probably never see.

That is why I love Lucky Star, but I was too lazy to post a wall of text. It really is a feel-good kind of show.
Feb 24, 2008 11:07 PM

Feb 2007
I got mentioned. YAY!

I also wish that I visited this thread more. Windy wins. Who's going to start that "Who faps to LS thread?"
Mar 27, 2008 5:23 PM

Mar 2008
It's just really really cute, and !moe

Apr 2, 2008 4:37 PM

Mar 2007
sHsIkuA said:
Anyone who didn't get past episode 1-2 will say LS sucks, that's for sure.

Saw 7 episodes and I still think it sucks.
Apr 5, 2008 8:52 PM

Feb 2008
It's the characters, really. I wouldn't watch it expecting to laugh your ass off, I'd watch it expecting to get attached to the characters simply because they're endearing. It's more fun than funny, if that makes any sense.
Apr 6, 2008 1:44 PM

Jan 2008
Pretty much what everyone else has said. It grew on me immensly.

There were even some moments that had me just laughing for 5 minutes straight.

e.g. in one of the later episodes, when the four girls are going into a classroom:

*Kagami goes to enter room*
*Gets static shock from handle*
Ow!
*Miyuki goes to enter room*
Ooh!
*Tsukasa goes to enter room*
Ah!
*Konata goes to enter room*
Tsukasa: NO!
Konata (immediately after): Yes.
*Konata enters room*
Tsukasa: 0.0'

I lol'd so hard. =D

Basically, it's just awesome once you get into it. Especially once the second wave of characters come in.
<3
Apr 6, 2008 6:21 PM

Nov 2007
saw the first episode then dropped it for around 2 months. Recently picked it up again and thought it's funny as hell. References aren't everything but it's definitely a good chunk of the reason I watch the show (not just to other anime, behaviors like mmo addict, play on words, etc)

those endings are somehow hilariousl and good at the same time
Apr 6, 2008 6:30 PM

Nov 2007
Xjellocross said:

• Moe moe moe

• The references

• Shiraishi Minoru

Truer words have never been said.
Apr 6, 2008 9:48 PM

Oct 2007
Asako said:
Xjellocross said:

• Moe moe moe

• The references

• Shiraishi Minoru

Truer words have never been said.

Xell definitely hit the nail on the head.

As for my own specific reasons...I didn't get every reference, but one doesn't have to with a parody anime. However, I truly enjoyed every interaction between the characters. :3 It's a show that has never failed to lift my mood so far.
Apr 6, 2008 10:35 PM

Mar 2008
the interactions between the characters, konata, lucky channel, the references to ohher anime (Initial D reference made me laugh hard), and the feel and atmosphere the anime has make me love it.

im on episode 14 so far, and i liked every episode tbh.
Apr 6, 2008 10:37 PM

Oct 2007
I'm on episode 18! :3 And I agree, not a single episode has let me down so far.
Apr 13, 2008 6:48 PM

Feb 2008
cuz lucky star puts a comical twist to every day events people can relate to. fear of eyedrops, dealing with messy food, and procrastination to name a few.
Apr 14, 2008 8:45 PM

Apr 2008
I happen to like Lucky Star... o.o

But I agree with the majority of the users in this post, it's not for everyone. Like, not alot of people can understand some of the jokes because of the references and such, but I think the characters are all around enjoyable. Konata happens to be a favorite of mine, but only because she's so easy to relate to, even in the questions she asks about random things.
Apr 15, 2008 10:44 PM

Oct 2007
agree with xjellocross!
You can find me on IRC.
Apr 15, 2008 10:52 PM

Sep 2007
I dunno, I think the show is really boring and I failed all three times I tried to finish it. Some of the jokes are nice, but a slice of life show is dependent on its characters, and this show only managed to make me care about ONE character. Most of the time I found myself rather bored with the show's atmosphere.
Apr 15, 2008 11:22 PM
Apr 2008
Very relaxing/funny anime (its actually quite better if you can understand japanese since some jokes are kinda off on subtitle -__-)
Apr 19, 2008 12:44 PM
Dec 2007
SonnyBoi88 said:
Very relaxing/funny anime (its actually quite better if you can understand japanese since some jokes are kinda off on subtitle -__-)
Sadly a.f.k. decided to americanize a lot of it. Silly them.

Apr 19, 2008 2:23 PM

Oct 2007
How so, Leon-Gun?
Apr 19, 2008 2:24 PM

Nov 2007
afk translates stuff like "moe" into "turn-ons" >_>
Apr 19, 2008 7:27 PM

Oct 2007
I guess I am truly not a fan since I don't really know what "moe" is. Or the difference between it and a "turn on". ^^;;;
Apr 20, 2008 5:57 AM

Nov 2007
Xjellocross said:

heh give a better 1 word translation for moe

though I guess they could have just kept it as moe....
Apr 21, 2008 3:40 AM

Oct 2007
I find it somewhat annoying how a.f.k. Americanizes everything, but that's because I'm British =P. I can forgive them because they always release things at top notch quality and they even waste their time translating signs & credit list. ^_^

As for Lucky Star itself, I enjoyed it fully and it's even the sort of show that my sisters (not anime fan) can enjoy because it is easy to relate to the characters and their dilemmas. But I personally enjoyed all the anime/manga/game references and being a fan of KyoAni, I understood most of the references (>_<)!
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 21, 2008 8:23 AM
Dec 2007
Shinkenshi said:
Xjellocross said:

That's precisely the point. I think Eclipse says it best when they explain why they keep honorifics and such (and add Translator's Notes) instead of americanizing the terms. I rather like it, as I find they keep it closer to the original. And not reading honorifics, or reading the name in the american way (name then surname) really irks me a lot. Especially the second one.

Apr 21, 2008 8:28 AM

Oct 2007
i hate it because its for pricks

i speaketh the truth
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 21, 2008 1:49 PM

Oct 2007
Peralisc said:

i speaketh the truth

Troll much?
Apr 22, 2008 4:05 AM

Nov 2007
Leon-Gun said:
Shinkenshi said:
Xjellocross said:

That's precisely the point. I think Eclipse says it best when they explain why they keep honorifics and such (and add Translator's Notes) instead of americanizing the terms. I rather like it, as I find they keep it closer to the original. And not reading honorifics, or reading the name in the american way (name then surname) really irks me a lot. Especially the second one.

they could have, but i'm sure there are viewers out there that don't understand what moe is, which is pretty much the same argument for "americanizing." besides, it's more of a personal preference thing. for me ultimately i just use the subs as a guide. if at all possible i only glance at subs every so often or i find myself just reading instead of watching an anime.
Apr 22, 2008 6:30 PM

Mar 2007
Peralisc said:

i speaketh the truth

More like it's for people with bad taste in humor who will laugh at just about anything. If Konota(or whatever the hell her name is) farted, Lucky Sh** fans would think its the funniest thing ever. "OMG Konota farted! So hilarious! I'm gonna give it a 10! What a masterpiece!"
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

chibuki - Sep 16, 2007

253 by EggWithNoPan »»
Apr 20, 1:55 AM

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Faust721 - Sep 10, 2007

85 by biuberry »»
Apr 9, 2:24 AM

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Joseph_ - Aug 27, 2007

112 by biuberry »»
Apr 8, 4:12 AM

Poll: » Lucky Star Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cyruz - May 22, 2007

84 by Celt1cs »»
Apr 7, 9:38 PM

Poll: » Lucky ☆ Star Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Sidestep - Aug 19, 2007

62 by biuberry »»
Apr 4, 11:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.