Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Feb 23, 2013 1:03 AM
Feb 2013
As I predicted, following logical reasoning, back in the 19-20 episode thread: it was clearly the kid of Maria and Mamouru. And thus all the rest was probably spot on too; the fact that squeeler deceived Saki and Saturo when they looked for them, probably sweet talking Maria and Mamouru into staying under their 'protection' and NOT telling them they could return without any problems at that moment, and then, even worse, waiting and abiding his time, until they got a baby and then ruthlessly kill off Maria and Mamouru, so that he could raise their child as a weapon against the other humans.

I'll repeat what I've said before: on an intellectual level, I actually agree with Squeeler, at least his principle stance. The queerrats have a considerable degree of intelligence and self-awareness. They are sentient beings. Any sentient being deserves to have basic rights, such as freedom. And it is clear they don't have that, they are used as slaves in the best case, and regarded as vermin in the worst, by the human cantus-users. Logically and ethically, I can't but agree with his stance.

Yet, the manner in which he and his clan of queerrats operate, where the goal justifies the (any) means, the abhorrent treason he did with those kids, especially Maria and Mamouru, the hypocrisy he shows in saying every individual is important, yet he brushes aside the will and respect due to his queen and other rats, the fanaticism showed by the queerats, and the fact they pose a threat to the entire human race...makes me feel, on a more emotional level, sympathetic to the humans. I want those rats dead. (I still would make an exception for those rats who remained faithful to humans, though). Furthermore, now has been shown the true extend of his plans, and it isn't so much liberation for his own people, but rather conquering the world and establishing a queerat empire. His actions were already despicable, but now his goal isn't all that noble anymore neither. He wants to usher in a new age like that of the former empires, but now with rats on top, and humans as slaves.

I think this is also yet another fact that is disturbing to us, and the anime puts forward; not only is the 'creation' there out of control and attacking their creators, but now it's possible the tables are turned: where human cantus-users are now the dominant and superior species, regarding queerats as slaves to to their bidding, if Squeelers' plan succeed, soon the rats will dominate, and the humans will be the enslaved race, brought up as animals, to serve their new masters.

In a way, this could serve as a warning to human hubris: you never know if at some point you will be treated as you have treated others. In fact, this is the basis of ethical thinking, starting already with Confucius in 500 before Christ: treat others like you would want to be treated. The cantus-users are, in a way, reaping what they sowed. But the queerats aren't any better. By now, it just comes down to a full-out war to avoid genocide. Since time for diplomacy has long passed (though, I realise, in that future society, it's unlikely humans would ever have given full rights to the queerats), I'm rooting for the humans.

UEntity said:
Can someone quickly explain how the shisei died? How did he get the negative feedback? Wasn't he just deflecting the attacks?

And also, explain to me the dry river bed scene....
Why did the both of them come to the conclusion that the guy didn't escape??
I'm soooo confused this episode.... =/

I don't think it was death-feedback. As far as I understood it, he could have withstood any physical attack induced by the cantus of the fiend (Maria's kid), but the cantus leakage makes for a direct hit of/with cantus. It was a bit short, though; I thought it would last a bit longer. Even if he couldn't kill the fiend, he could have repelled it for a long time, which would have made it into a battle of attrition. But cantus leakage can't be readily stopped by other cantus (otherwise, people could have protected themselves against the consequences of a Karma Demon too, after all).

Though I'm not sure how the fiend knew that, and how (s)he(?) could deliberately let her cantus leak like that. Instinct, maybe?

Man, it was such a sad-scary scene, where the kid was on it's hands and knees, acting - or rather being - a pet to that rat. If that is the future of humans, it's bleak indeed.
AnimageNebyFeb 23, 2013 1:16 AM
Feb 23, 2013 1:05 AM
Jan 2008
UEntity said:
Can someone quickly explain how the shisei died? How did he get the negative feedback? Wasn't he just deflecting the attacks?

UEntity said:

Baby Marimaru used his cantus to kill him...
Feb 23, 2013 1:20 AM
Feb 2013
i would think that they would have, at the very least, a person who could combat fiends by being unaffected by the feedback. (after what happened with boy k)

of course it might unintentionally create fiends, but they have a rigorous screening process for who gets to make it to adulthood so some similar screening could have been applied to the fiend fighting cantus user
Feb 23, 2013 1:21 AM

Aug 2012
I already knew from the start that Yakomaru was acting suspicious, but I never thought that raising humans and turning them into fiends was part of his master plan. I won't be surprised if this series leads to a bad ending.

My Youtube page: link
Feb 23, 2013 1:24 AM
Aug 2012
I'm happy that fiend isn't Maria, someone has so slap that kid and tell him to come to his senses already! Even if he is raised by queerats.

And I'm still waiting till Saki kills Squeeler.
Feb 23, 2013 1:42 AM

Nov 2011
mootjuh said:
I'm happy that fiend isn't Maria, someone has so slap that kid and tell him to come to his senses already! Even if he is raised by queerats.

You want the kid to kill the only family he has ever known?
The Art of Eight
Feb 23, 2013 1:51 AM
Jun 2007
Humanity's screwed; Squeeler's the new Lelouch.

In any case, I can't help but be with Squeeler on this one. While what they're doing may seem hypocritical, it's their only way of survival. He outsmarted them; the winner dominates and writes the history.
Feb 23, 2013 2:01 AM

Sep 2012
scruffykiwi said:
RediceRyan said:
So out of curiosity does the death feedback and inhibition only stop people from killing or hurting other people using their cantus?
Is it not out of the question for someone to shoot the Fiend with a gun?

They should have saved a few pieces of advance technology for times like this.
Maybe the fiend's cantus provides a constant barrier to bullets.

It seems like that is the case. In the previous fiend case the doctor knowingly administered a fatal injection.

The doctor got around the death feed back I think. Remember? The fiend just walked into the hospital saying he was sick. The doctor hatches a plan and asks the nurse to prepare some antibiotics. The nurse who understood the plan was playing along and actually brings poison. So the doctor cleverly pretends to inject the fiend with antibiotics when it's actually poison, and the nurse wasn't affect by death feedback either because she wasn't the one holding the needle. Though, it didn't really matter in the end since the fiend killed the doctor anyways. Tomiko said they were extraordinarily lucky last time. Had Boy K not gotten sick and walk into that hospital, he would've went on forever.
IronLobsterFeb 23, 2013 2:05 AM
"whats so special about bonzai trees?"
"They are the loli of the tree world."

Inganock of the Brightest Flame
Feb 23, 2013 2:04 AM

Nov 2011
This turned survival horror quickly.

Join the MSP Club for an in-depth look at score progressions and other stats of currently airing anime
Feb 23, 2013 2:12 AM

Nov 2011
Why not do something that causes something else that will indirectly kill Fiendy?
Kiroumaru was captured by bakenezumi or humans who are afraid he will betray them?
Shuisei should have taken that brat with him. RIP he is awesome still.
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Feb 23, 2013 2:15 AM

Sep 2012
May the best species win.
Feb 23, 2013 2:25 AM

Nov 2011
I was scared of watching this episode to be honest.
—Actually, nevermind.
Feb 23, 2013 2:30 AM
Feb 2011
eminagnam said:
Wow I didn't imagine that fiend was a child of Maria and Mamoru. And it's female, not male. I wonder why Saki knew the fiend's name Ria. Had she met her before? Did the anime skip some stories of LN?

Yakomaru is very clever. His plan is awesome. He makes human children kill humans? Wise move. Even that mask guy failed to strike the fiend. Humans are hopeless. Rise of Rat Empire? Heil Yakomaru! To be serious, he made a valid point. Rats have been discriminated, regarded as the lower being and exploited by humans for a long time. No wonder he rebels against humans.

He has no point at all. None. Yakomaru was a monster from the very start. His emotions? Fake. He never felt sadness, he never felt what other colonies or humans did were 'wrong'. He was jealous he wasn't the one doing this. He holds himself to no morals. If he did, he wouldn't have done half of the despicable crap he pulled.

He was there crying about how it's unfair for the queerats to be basically destroyed and their children enslaved/brainwashed should they be defeated while doing the exact same thing himself. He was only raging at the fact he wasn't strong enough to be the one dominating the entire world. And that's what he did. He used trickery, set clever and evil plans into motion to gain power and kept those plans hidden from the human colonies while doing his best at looking normal all along.

I mean, he turned their queens into what amounts to cattle by frying their brains because he couldn't withstand anyone else controlling their race other than him. He destroyed, killed other colonies, captured their offspring as spoils of war while simultaneously crying about how it was unfair other colonies could do this to theirs. He used trickery and manipulation to involve human children into destroying his enemies so he could claim their offspring and lands while faking that he had any respect for them. He managed to get a fake minoshiro to gain data to advance their colonies' technology and mutated some of his own species to be turned into weapons of wars while saying he wanted to free them of human tyranny. Then grabbed the first opportunity to shelter Maria and Mamoru from the village, had them give birth to a boy and immediately murdered them. He then brainwashed him into his command. And now he's stealing human children in a bid to create a Fiend army to eradicate all other species from the planet.

And this human 'tyranny' is basically nothing more than them monitoring colonies and making sure they don't do something too dangerous for the ecosystem. Humans basically make sure to destroy those who are too dangerous, too evil and the such. It's like he's whining 'Waaah, we're not free to cause chaos, destruction and evil however we want, tyranny!!'. If anything, they were treated too kindly.

That being said, I couldn't be more glad to see that Kiromaru is still alive in the preview. If there's anyone I want to see tear a new one to Yakomaru, it's this guy. And when he goes down, I hope it hurts like hell and I yearn to hear his death throes.
Jan 2013
mikado34 said:
In ten years... humanity will be exterminated and the queerats will dominate the world.

I'd like them to create a spin-off--the Planet of the Queerats--after this series ends.

Aug 2009
In ten years... humanity will be exterminated and the queerats will dominate the world. Squeeler's plan is bulletproof, using brainwashed children as an army is despicable and gruesome. The fact that Maria's child looks so cute at first glance is very terrifying.

I'm going to kill you

D:
Feb 23, 2013 2:44 AM

Nov 2011
Ncrdrg said:

He has no point at all. None. Yakomaru was a monster from the very start. His emotions? Fake. He never felt sadness, he never felt what other colonies or humans did were 'wrong'. He was jealous he wasn't the one doing this. He holds himself to no morals. If he did, he wouldn't have done half of the despicable crap he pulled.

He was there crying about how it's unfair for the queerats to be basically destroyed and their children enslaved/brainwashed should they be defeated while doing the exact same thing himself. He was only raging at the fact he wasn't strong enough to be the one dominating the entire world. And that's what he did. He used trickery, set clever and evil plans into motion to gain power and kept those plans hidden from the human colonies while doing his best at looking normal all along.

I mean, he turned their queens into what amounts to cattle by frying their brains because he couldn't withstand anyone else controlling their race other than him. He destroyed, killed other colonies, captured their offspring as spoils of war while simultaneously crying about how it was unfair other colonies could do this to theirs. He used trickery and manipulation to involve human children into destroying his enemies so he could claim their offspring and lands while faking that he had any respect for them. He managed to get a fake minoshiro to gain data to advance their colonies' technology and mutated some of his own species to be turned into weapons of wars while saying he wanted to free them of human tyranny. Then grabbed the first opportunity to shelter Maria and Mamoru from the village, had them give birth to a boy and immediately murdered them. He then brainwashed him into his command. And now he's stealing human children in a bid to create a Fiend army to eradicate all other species from the planet.

And this human 'tyranny' is basically nothing more than them monitoring colonies and making sure they don't do something too dangerous for the ecosystem. Humans basically make sure to destroy those who are too dangerous, too evil and the such. It's like he's whining 'Waaah, we're not free to cause chaos, destruction and evil however we want, tyranny!!'. If anything, they were treated too kindly.

That being said, I couldn't be more glad to see that Kiromaru is still alive in the preview. If there's anyone I want to see tear a new one to Yakomaru, it's this guy. And when he goes down, I hope it hurts like hell and I yearn to hear his death throes.

^agreed
"Why do I always realize it... when I've already lost it..." -Guts, Berserk
"Some things are beautiful because they cannot be obtained." -Gilgamesh, Fate/stay night
"We are constantly living in a peaceful world that somebody else won for us. Even if it were only a day of peace, I will be grateful for its value." - Minashiro Tsubaki, FAFNER
"Screw you, future me!" -Makise Kurisu, Steins;Gate
"We used to show off by waging wars and whatnot." -Watashi, Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita
"Call me Moses. I'm going to part the sea of students before your eyes." -Moses?, Valvrave
"Time is guilty." -Andō & Tomoyo, INOU-Battle
Feb 23, 2013 2:47 AM

Nov 2011
Ncrdrg said:
eminagnam said:
Wow I didn't imagine that fiend was a child of Maria and Mamoru. And it's female, not male. I wonder why Saki knew the fiend's name Ria. Had she met her before? Did the anime skip some stories of LN?

Yakomaru is very clever. His plan is awesome. He makes human children kill humans? Wise move. Even that mask guy failed to strike the fiend. Humans are hopeless. Rise of Rat Empire? Heil Yakomaru! To be serious, he made a valid point. Rats have been discriminated, regarded as the lower being and exploited by humans for a long time. No wonder he rebels against humans.

No. Squealer is the hero the world deserves but not the one we need right now. So we will hunt him because he can take it. Because he's not our hero. He's a silent guardian, a watchful protector. A dark knight.
The Art of Eight
Feb 23, 2013 2:57 AM

May 2011
mootjuh said:

You can go! Just hope you don't get burst like bubbles when you walk towards it~

I sympathise Maria and Mamouru. That Yakomaru must had assured them their safety - yada yada - and when they felt secured and gave birth to a child he stabbed them in a back. If they sees their child in the current state they would probably go crazy.

That cunning Yakomaru. But I guess it's the queerats' only way of gaining freedom as confronting humans would definitely not work.
Feb 23, 2013 3:08 AM
Feb 2013
Ncrdrg said:
eminagnam said:

I sympathise with the sentiment, and agree with the facts you gave; he's being immoral and hypocritical, and he deserves to die, and his whole clan which helped him with these vile actions.

Yet, I do not think he has no point in the principle of the matter. Not of his conquest-plans and establishing a rat-empire, of course. But, even when he would fake his concern for the state of his people, he still had a point on the basic tenet of it. One can not deny that the rats were used as slaves, or in the best case, serfs. They were there to do the dirty work, like cleaning out the ditches, as we saw at the beginning. Furthermore, they had to obey the rules of the cantus-users, without having a say in the matter. If they disobeyed, not only the individual, but the whole colony was wiped out, like vermin - as was literally shown the 'pest-control' cantus-users looked at the rats. This too has been established.

Revert the stance - as we should do in reciprocity with an argument - and if queerats would do exactly the same to humans, we would consider it slavery and unjustified. So, objectively I can't consent to the rather spurious argument that they have no point whatsoever. It doesn't make right their wrongs, but the humans cantus-users aren't totally innocent neither, and have a blame for the current situation as well.

If they really wanted to avoid this situation, where they use other intelligent beings to do their bidding while giving them less rights than they give themselves, who then in turn revolt - they shouldn't have created them in the first place, or at least not with that kind of intelligence. (Presuming they actually created them, which isn't all that sure neither).
AnimageNebyFeb 23, 2013 3:16 AM
Feb 23, 2013 3:15 AM

Nov 2012
Holy crap amazing episode! Only I thought fiends were just out of control monsters that would pretty much tear apart any living thing, how are they controlling them?

Feb 23, 2013 3:21 AM
Feb 2011
AnimageNeby said:

Yet, I do not think he has no point in the principle of the matter. Not of his conquest-plans and establishing a rat-empire, of course. But, even when he would fake his concern for the state of his people, he still had a point on the basic tenet of it. One can not deny that the rats were used as slaves, or in the best case, serfs. They were there to do the dirty work, like cleaning out the sewers. they had to obey the rules of the cantus-users, without having a say in the matter. If they disobeyed, not only the individual, but the whole colony was wiped out.

The reason why I said he had no point at all. Zero, is because it was never about those arguments. It was never about liberation. Not for one second. It was about domination. He's a monster because he's smart enough to fake concern about freedom he intends to rob of everyone else anyway, including his own people. Yes, the queerats are sentient beings, yes, they shouldn't be considered a slave species, although no, they did keep their free will. The human society amounts to what would be like... a U.N.-like organization with the power to destroy whoever breaks a certain set of rules. As such, they're not 'slaves'. They keep their free will but cannot break a certain code or else. The humans actually avoid interfering too much, letting them do some unspeakable things. It's a lot more of oversight than a tyranny.

If this was about living outside of human oversight, it would be one thing, it would at least have the beginning of a valid argument. But it never was because he never desired that. Yakomaru wanted to enslave every species, INCLUDING humans so they would become the master race. From the very start. He raises that moot point because he knows his people will buy into that crap about 'liberation'. Yakomaru will make everyone slaves to himself, including queerats too. It's about his own ambition, it's basically a rebirth of the Slave Empires that were born after the outbreak of psychics.
Feb 23, 2013 3:26 AM

Jun 2010
Man, Shisei died. MAN! What the hell. What the queerats have done was unforgivable. I hope they don't just simply kill Yakomaru. I hope they kill him slowly for like 1 year removing his skin and such.
Feb 23, 2013 3:50 AM
Feb 2013
Ncrdrg said:
AnimageNeby said:

Yet, I do not think he has no point in the principle of the matter. Not of his conquest-plans and establishing a rat-empire, of course. But, even when he would fake his concern for the state of his people, he still had a point on the basic tenet of it. One can not deny that the rats were used as slaves, or in the best case, serfs. They were there to do the dirty work, like cleaning out the sewers. they had to obey the rules of the cantus-users, without having a say in the matter. If they disobeyed, not only the individual, but the whole colony was wiped out.

The reason why I said he had no point at all. Zero, is because it was never about those arguments. It was never about liberation. Not for one second. It was about domination. He's a monster because he's smart enough to fake concern about freedom he intends to rob of everyone else anyway, including his own people. Yes, the queerats are sentient beings, yes, they shouldn't be considered a slave species, although no, they did keep their free will. The human society amounts to what would be like... a U.N.-like organization with the power to destroy whoever breaks a certain set of rules. As such, they're not 'slaves'. They keep their free will but cannot break a certain code or else. The humans actually avoid interfering too much, letting them do some unspeakable things. It's a lot more of oversight than a tyranny.

If this was about living outside of human oversight, it would be one thing, it would at least have the beginning of a valid argument. But it never was because he never desired that. Yakomaru wanted to enslave every species, INCLUDING humans so they would become the master race. From the very start. He raises that moot point because he knows his people will buy into that crap about 'liberation'. Yakomaru will make everyone slaves to himself, including queerats too. It's about his own ambition, it's basically a rebirth of the Slave Empires that were born after the outbreak of psychics.

As said; I agree. But my point was that, while his intentions are nothing noble, and his arguments just used as a self-serving convenience for his ambitions, the argument itself is not without merrit, even if it's misused by him.

As for the arguments you raise in diminishing the harsh reality of how they are treated, I'm less mild. One has to acknowledge and face the wrongs the humans did too, me thinks, without trying to minimalise it. No, it's not like the UN: in the UN everyone gets a vote, and the main parties even a veto. This is not the case with the rats; they have no vote in the rules that were laid on them by the humans. Furthermore, 'free will' is relative: slaves had free will too, as long as they kept to the laws and rules of the state/country/masters back then. They had, however, no say over anything if their master decided otherwise, and even their lives were forfeit, if the master desired so. Exactly as it is with the humans and rats. Contrary to slaves, rats can have personal possessions, true. That's why I said 'serfs' were more correct, as a term to describe them. But serfs can hardly be called 'free' neither.

As we saw with the 'pest-control' part; most cantus-users just saw them as animals and vermin, not hesitating to kill not only the individual, but the whole colony, if a rule was broken. A rule, I repeat, that was one-sided put on them, not something they had a democratic say in.

I'll say it again: use reciprocity, and reverse the exact same situation, where humans would be considered vermin and rats Gods, have to abide to the rules put there by the rats, having to do their work for them, etc. - we would consider that unjust and a loss of freedom, *even* if the rats didn't meddle too much in our affairs for the rest. So I'm not buying the claim they have no point in this, at least as a principle.

That it is not a heart-felt argument coming from Squeeler, is a fact. That he and his clan-rats have committed atrocities and utterly immoral acts (at least seen from the viewpoint of humans, and, admittedly, from himself, hence the hypocrisy), as well. I do not deny what you said about that; hence my desire to see him dead too. But the truth is the truth: for the argument, viewed on istelf, there is something to be said. I think, if the rats had tried a diplomatic way of receiving their rights (unlikely to be achieved, in that future society though), we all here would probably think they were fully in their right.

Thus, one should not confuse the means they use, and the hypocrisy in their use of the argument, with the reasoning on its own, as a manner in which to disqualify the argument itself. That's too easy and too self-serving (for us, then).

Ofcourse, the moral dilemma of it has now become academic in nature anyway; it's long passed that, and has become simply a question of survival vs genocide. Either way.
AnimageNebyFeb 23, 2013 3:59 AM
Feb 23, 2013 4:05 AM

Dec 2009
I love how I have no idea how this will end.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Feb 23, 2013 4:05 AM
Jan 2013
AnimageNeby said:
Ncrdrg said:
AnimageNeby said:

As said; I agree. But my point was that, while his intentions are nothing noble, and his arguments just used as a self-serving convenience for his ambitions, the argument itself is not without merrit, even if it's misused by him.

As for the arguments you raise in diminishing the harsh reality of how they are treated, I'm less mild. One has to acknowledge and face the wrongs the humans did too, me thinks, without trying to minimalise it. No, it's not like the UN: in the UN everyone gets a vote, and the main parties even a veto. This is not the case with the rats; they have no vote in the rules that were laid on them by the humans. Furthermore, 'free will' is relative: slaves had free will too, as long as they kept to the laws and rules of the state/country/masters back then. They had, however, no say over anything if their master decided otherwise, and even their lives were forfeit, if the master desired so. Exactly as it is with the humans and rats. Contrary to slaves, rats can have personal possessions, true. That's why I said 'serfs' were more correct, as a term to describe them. But serfs can hardly be called 'free' neither.

As we saw with the 'pest-control' part; most cantus-users just saw them as animals and vermin, not hesitating to kill not only the individual, but the whole colony, if a rule was broken. A rule, I repeat, that was one-sided put on them, not something they had a democratic say in.

I'll say it again: use reciprocity, and reverse the exact same situation, where humans would be considered vermin and rats Gods, have to abide to the rules put there by the rats, having to do their work for them, etc. - we would consider that unjust and a loss of freedom, *even* if the rats didn't meddle too much in our affairs for the rest. So I'm not buying the claim they have no point in this, at least as a principle.

That it is not a heart-felt argument coming from Squeeler, is a fact. That he and his clan-rats have committed atrocities and utterly immoral acts (at least seen from the viewpoint of humans, and, admittedly, from himself, hence the hypocrisy), as well. I do not deny what you said about that; hence my desire to see him dead too. But the truth is the truth: for the argument, viewed on istelf, there is something to be said. I think, if the rats had tried a diplomatic way of receiving their rights (unlikely to be achieved, in that future society though), we all here would probably think they were fully in their right.

Thus, one should not confuse the means they use, and the hypocrisy in their use of the argument, with the reasoning on its own, as a manner in which to disqualify the argument itself. That's too easy and too self-serving (for us, then).

Ofcourse, the moral dilemma of it has now become academic in nature anyway; it's long passed that, and has become simply a question of survival vs genocide. Either way.

I think the correct analogy to think of here is the obvious one: The Japanese Empire. Japan was forced open by Commodore Perry and bullied by the Europeans for ages. The Westerners tried desperately to do in Japan what they did in China but failed. The Westerners were much like the Cantus humans we see in the show in the way they dealt with Japan: ignorant of Japanese culture and bumbling in their attempts to control the Japanese people, but still holding malintent. The Japanese went on to build a great nation under Western guidance and then went on to enslave vast parts of Asia. To this day, relations between Korea, China, and Japan are tense because of what Japan did to these countries.

The Bakenezumi were mistreated and bullied. They were enslaved, though poorly. Still they were given broad strokes of authority. The Bakenezumi's counterplan is obviously much more Orwelian. No-one views the actions of the Japanese Empire as morally correct, even though the Empire itself evolved in an attempt to survive in a world filled with Western superpowers. Likewise I think no-one should think of the Bakenezumi's society as morally correct.
Feb 23, 2013 4:09 AM

Oct 2012
I would have preferred if they showed the humans fighting back a bit more. Considering every citizen graduated out of a school system where the weak are killed, it's kind of surprising the fight seems so one-sided. I mean even without the fiend, the queerats were winning.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 23, 2013 4:09 AM
Feb 2011
I didn't mean the U.N. as in 'everyone gets a vote'. I said a U.N.-like organization as in a central entity that decides what is acceptable and what is not and enforces it very harshly. That's why I used the word 'oversight'.

Yes, they view them as lesser species, there is no doubt about that. But I've never seen them as slaves in any way whatsoever. At least, not the way we describe slaves. They don't work for humans but they do seek their favor because they're aware they were the ruling entity. Do you remember a point when they were ordered, not asked, to do anything? Because I don't. Do you remember them being threatened with destruction for not disposing of their children? I don't. Maybe it's just my memory that's bad but all I saw was a lesser colony trying to curry favor of a stronger entity.

And seriously, if we had the means to obliterate overnight a country like North Korea with no repercussion, in a world where the stakes are like, a thousand times higher because everything can go wrong so quickly, I'm not convinced I can judge this as 'wrong'.
NcrdrgFeb 23, 2013 4:13 AM
Feb 23, 2013 4:10 AM

Oct 2012
I don't blame the queerats it makes sense what they're doing, intelligent creatures can only take being treated as 2nd class citizens/practically slaves for so long.

But since we've seen the story from the humans side i'm supporting them. The humans need to kill the fiend somehow, indirectly kill him or mix up their attacks with cantus and regular weapons, kill him in his sleep etc. It's not impossible a load of cantus users have been killed by queerrats. After that they'll need to exterminate every single queerat and recover their babies so it doesn't happen again. To make sure they're not defenseless they should now raise their children without all the restraints like death feedback.
Feb 23, 2013 4:17 AM

Oct 2012
AnimageNeby said:
As I predicted, following logical reasoning, back in the 19-20 episode thread: it was clearly the kid of Maria and Mamouru. And thus all the rest was probably spot on too; the fact that squeeler deceived Saki and Saturo when they looked for them, probably sweet talking Maria and Mamouru into staying under their 'protection' and NOT telling them they could return without any problems at that moment, and then, even worse, waiting and abiding his time, until they got a baby and then ruthlessly kill off Maria and Mamouru, so that he could raise their child as a weapon against the other humans.
Actually, I didn't understand this on 2 accounts:
  1. Yakomaru had produced a bone of Maria, DNA-proven, in the week after she disappeared. This is clearly not enough time for her to get pregnant. The timeline didn't make sense.
  2. Is the death-feedback genetic, or installed after birth? If it's genetic, then Maria and Mamoru's offspring should have it even if it was not raised human.
  3. I said 2, but here's another one: What gives Yakumoru the confidence to be able to control every fiend? Even if they are raised by the queerat colonies, fiends are unstable by nature and unable to control their Cantuses.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 23, 2013 4:18 AM

Oct 2012
rul said:
To make sure they're not defenseless they should now raise their children without all the restraints like death feedback.
This show is kind of a commentary on gun control.
THE CHAT CLUB.
Feb 23, 2013 4:20 AM

Jan 2012
This is seriously awful... Poor kids...

But I still wonder how they could kill Maria and Mamoru since they can use Cantus...
Caught by surprise?
Feb 23, 2013 4:24 AM
Jan 2013
katsucats said:
AnimageNeby said:
  1. Yakomaru had produced a bone of Maria, DNA-proven, in the week after she disappeared. This is clearly not enough time for her to get pregnant. The timeline didn't make sense.
  2. Is the death-feedback genetic, or installed after birth? If it's genetic, then Maria and Mamoru's offspring should have it even if it was not raised human.
  3. I said 2, but here's another one: What gives Yakumoru the confidence to be able to control every fiend? Even if they are raised by the queerat colonies, fiends are unstable by nature and unable to control their Cantuses.

1. Yeah this one's a mystery to me too.
  2. Saki mentioned in the next-ep preview in one of the previous episodes that "it was raised among them, taught to think [he] was one of them" or something to this effect. Basically, it probably thought it was BNZ and would only feel death feedback killing BNZ. Also we saw Ria spoke in the BNZ language.
  3. That's a really good point actually. I don't think Ria is actually a fiend, they just raised it. But if one of those turns into a fiend or a karmic demon than I'll bet the entire BNZ civilization will just implode. But the slave empires in Asia lasted for a really long time so who knows? They mentioned that one of the Holy Sakura Empire's leaders would randomly kill people in lashes so maybe it was implied that the leader himself was sort of a Fiend?
Feb 23, 2013 4:24 AM
Feb 2013

I think the correct analogy to think of here is the obvious one: The Japanese Empire. Japan was forced open by Commodore Perry and bullied by the Europeans for ages. The Westerners tried desperately to do in Japan what they did in China but failed. The Westerners were much like the Cantus humans we see in the show in the way they dealt with Japan: ignorant of Japanese culture and bumbling in their attempts to control the Japanese people, but still holding malintent. The Japanese went on to build a great nation under Western guidance and then went on to enslave vast parts of Asia. To this day, relations between Korea, China, and Japan are tense because of what Japan did to these countries.

The Bakenezumi were mistreated and bullied. They were enslaved, though poorly. Still they were given broad strokes of authority. The Bakenezumi's counterplan is obviously much more Orwelian. No-one views the actions of the Japanese Empire as morally correct, even though the Empire itself evolved in an attempt to survive in a world filled with Western superpowers. Likewise I think no-one should think of the Bakenezumi's society as morally correct.

A very well-analysed and thoughtful post as usual, ToriFuda.

I must say, it's a refreshing experience to have so many posters here who clearly have a high degree of maturity and can debate in a sensible and logical manner. Most threads and debates on fora - and anime is no exception - are often a pool of idiotic behaviour and immature reactions. This particular thread has a high, and certainly above-average level, I must say. Probably due to the particular nature of the anime, which is multi-layered. Hardly an anime who would appeal to the thoughtless and immature, me thinks, or those just interested in Bleach-esque mannerisms.

It feels good being able to properly debate things.

Again, I mostly agree with you. One could ask oneself the question if it hadn't been better if humans enslaved the rats on a very, very strict regime, than to allow them such liberties. After all, it's due to all the leeway they've gotten, they could prepare such an assault. If one decides to use slaves in the first place, I mean. Once you reach that decision, only regarding it in an self-serving position, it would be far better to utterly control them, than to mistreat them but give them enough liberty to rise against you.

Ofcourse, I can't but condemn such a thing from a libertine position, and it fails in my logical assessment of the premise, due to the principle of reciprocity.

But from their (cantus-users) stance, it was double foolish, the way they went about it now.
AnimageNebyFeb 23, 2013 4:53 AM
Feb 23, 2013 4:45 AM

Feb 2011
GOD WHAT A PLOT TWIST . I love this anime . The soundtrack was boos .
Feb 23, 2013 4:47 AM
Feb 2013
katsucats said:
AnimageNeby said:

I already pondered and given my thoughts about that in the thread of episode 19 and 20. But I'll repeat in short:

1) Was it said a week? That would be problematic to explain. But as far as I remember, when divulging at that meeting that the DNA and dental records were proven to be theirs, they did not say anything of WHEN they 'found' those bones. My theory, thus, was that the queerats just provided shelter for (minimal) 9 months, and then killed them off and showed the evidence to the cantus-users.

If it's canon that it was within a week, and since Maria clearly was not high-pregnant, one would have to assume the first bone he gave was from one of more limbs, not essential to survival. Maybe he did to Maria what he did to his queen, and kept her in a state where only her main body functions, to give birth. In that case, they could have acted much sooner, put the body of Mamoru and some bones of Maria there, enough to convince both died.

But in which episode did they say a week later they found the bones?

2) and 3) According to my theory, the death feedback is mainly biological, with additional psychological and hypnotic conditioning. It works like the imprinting mechanism of a duckling: the first thing it sees moving, it regards as the mother. Similarly, with cantus-users I think their imprinting is made upon humans (well, the 'human form'), from when they are little.

The fiend is not REALLY a fiend, in the sense that it went bunkers and kills everyone in sight. He has not developed a psychose or anything like that. His mechanism just doesn't work with humans, because he was raised by rats. He considers himself a rat. The imprinting was done on rats, hence, he can kill humans without the death-feedback kicking in.

This would explain everything just perfectly, and I think I'm not far of in this neither. But some poster correctly pointed out that, in that case, he couldn't have killed the other clan of queerats neither. Which seemed a flaw in my reasoning back then, but now I've rewatched what they said about it; it's not actually said a cantus users directly killed those rats. Only that the arrows were undamaged, which pointed to a cantus-user. They also said the bodies were mutilated, but they didn't argue that this could only be done by a cantus-user, so maybe the mutilation was simply done by the other rats/clan, while the fiend just disarmed them and made them powerless.

Edit: this would also serve Squeelers' broader plans. As long as he keeps the human offspring separated in the beginning, and let the imprinting be done on himself/rats, the 'fiends' will not be able to kill rats. But contrary to human cantus-users now, the rats have no such quarrel; they can easily try to kill humans and rats alike without risking a death-feedback. And even when a true fiend would emerge; he can just let the other 'raised' fiends deal with it, and kill that one off, since they wouldn't have an imprint on a human.

Yes, the little rat has thought it through, in a devilish manner.
AnimageNebyFeb 23, 2013 5:03 AM
Feb 23, 2013 5:06 AM
Dec 2012
Ncrdrg said:

That's based on human point of view. From the rat point of view, he has a point. You cal him a monster, but it's based on criteria of humans, or it's just labeled by humans. He is not a monster to rats. They were created that way by nature. Also, the humans of this anime themselves are monsters from viewpoint of the *ancient* humans who were not espers. Both of the generations (non-espers and espers) each had a valid point, which is why they fought against each other in the past. Now it's rats' turn.
Feb 23, 2013 5:14 AM

Sep 2012
I'm surprised by the number of queerats there are in this war. Considering how cautious the humans are in this world, You'd think they would have tried to control the population of those queerats a bit more.

Anyway pretty cool episode. Yakomaru will lose but I'm definetely rooting for him. Good job on outsmarting those arrogant fuckers.
Feb 23, 2013 5:21 AM
Feb 2013
eminagnam said:
Ncrdrg said:

That's based on human point of view. From the rat point of view, he has a point. You cal him a monster, but it's based on criteria of humans, or it's just labeled by humans. He is not a monster to rats. They were created that way by nature. Also, the humans of this anime themselves are monsters from viewpoint of the *ancient* humans who were not espers. Both of the generations (non-espers and espers) each had a valid point, which is why they fought against each other in the past. Now it's rats' turn.

True. Yet he DID behave very hypocritical too. He was crying and complaining how dreadful it was that child-rats were captured and that they were forced into slave labour, yet he has no qualms doing it with others. He acts high and mighty by proclaiming every sentient individual has the right of free will (which is correct on itself), but then brushes aside those contemplations and turns the queen into a flesh-puppet, clearly without her consent and will.

Hence, he contradicts himself and is hypocritical: a sign that there is something wrong with his ethical stance in these matters, EVEN when not viewed from a human standpoint. I also do not think that Kiroumaru would think Squeelers' actions were noble and morally just, so I don't think it's as simple as reverting to a human vs rats' viewpoint on the matter.

Thus: I do think Squeelers' actions are morally repugnant or at least hypocritical, even without adhering to a particular standpoint, simply because of the nature of reciprocity of the arguments used. I just think that the human cantus-users can't be absolved from any misgivings neither. They both are guilty of behaviour that is ethically dubious, to say the least.

SetsukoHara said:
I'm surprised by the number of queerats there are in this war. Considering how cautious the humans are in this world, You'd think they would have tried to control the population of those queerats a bit more.

Anyway pretty cool episode. Yakomaru will lose but I'm definetely rooting for him. Good job on outsmarting those arrogant fuckers.

Ah well...those rats don't seem any less arrogant, to be honest. I think it goes both ways.

As for rooting... I guess we would all act differently if it were we who were getting wiped out, I guess. ;-)

Personally, while I do acknowledge the principle of the point the rats raised, I feel emotionally more inclined to root for the humans. And, at the point where we're at, also on a logical level: it's an all out war with the survival of the race at stake, here. With the premise that genocide is to be avoided, the matter of their further rights has become moot, for the moment. And, as others pointed out, Squeeler isn't fighting to regain these rights anyhow; he wants world-dominance.
AnimageNebyFeb 23, 2013 5:34 AM
Feb 23, 2013 5:35 AM

Nov 2012
I lol'd when Satoru shows up and Saki is like, Oh sup, your alive, cool.

Well, I guess they learned their lesson why you don't allow a couple kids to escape from the village.
Feb 23, 2013 5:57 AM

Jan 2008
ArmorKingRulez said:
Soo what happened to Maria and Mamoru??

Did they die or what?

Yeah, Squeeler killed them, most likely. The bones he gave the humans weren't faked.
Goddamn asshole.

Offtopic: What would happen if two fiends met?
Feb 23, 2013 5:57 AM
Dec 2012
AnimageNeby said:
True. Yet he DID behave very hypocritical too. He was crying and complaining how dreadful it was that child-rats were captured and that they were forced into slave labour, yet he has no qualms doing it with others. He acts high and mighty by proclaiming every sentient individual has the right of free will (which is correct on itself), but then brushes aside those contemplations and turns the queen into a flesh-puppet, clearly without her consent and will.

Hence, he contradicts himself and is hypocritical: a sign that there is something wrong with his ethical stance in these matters, EVEN when not viewed from a human standpoint. I also do not think that Kiroumaru would think Squeelers' actions were noble and morally just, so I don't think it's as simple as reverting to a human vs rats' viewpoint on the matter.

Thus: I do think Squeelers' actions are morally repugnant or at least hypocritical, even without adhering to a particular standpoint, simply because of the nature of reciprocity of the arguments used. I just think that the human cantus-users can't be absolved from any misgivings neither. They both are guilty of behaviour that is ethically dubious, to say the least.

Behavior, ethics and morality do not have to apply to him. For, he is different from humans. You can't expect non-humans to have the same standards as humans.' In other words, he is free from human standards though he can pretend to have human standards occasionally.
Feb 23, 2013 6:27 AM

Aug 2011
Awesome episode !! This anime keeps to amaze me every week.

I hate Yakomaru, he's awful
Feb 23, 2013 6:38 AM
Feb 2013
eminagnam said:
AnimageNeby said:

Behavior, ethics and morality do not have to apply to him. For, he is different from humans. You can't expect non-humans to have the same standards as humans.' In other words, he is free from human standards though he can pretend to have human standards occasionally.

His own moral and ethical considerations should apply to himself, and it doesn't neither. That's why he's being unethical, even without a human stance. We also saw in the past that Kiroumaru thought squeeler to be unethical, and no doubt he will think the same now.

This shows - as I have said, but you completely ignored this argument - that it's not due to an intrinsic difference of cultural mores of the rats vs the humans, but more of the inherent property of Squeeler. Hence, there is no excuse to just brushing it off as only morally ambiguous from the standpoint of humans, otherwise other rats wouldn't have any problem with his behaviour neither.

So, you are wrong. While maybe not all human behaviour, ethics and morality may apply to him, behaviour, ethics and morality on itself *does* apply to him. Or at least, should apply to him, if he's morally upright. However, he does not follow his own proclaimed morals, and he acts in manners to which even other rats (at least from other clans) find inappropriate, as is proven by turning his queen in a mindless puppet. I repeat; this was not found to be unethical by human standards alone, but also by other rats.

Therefore, he does not gain immunity through the claim he can't be judged by human standards, because he can be claimed to be guilty by his own stated morals - which he disregards himself, and those of other rats. He can not claim the universality of the principle of the right of freedom and ones' own will for sentient beings, and then conveniently disregard and ignore his own moral stance without becoming immoral - not to our, but even to his own standards - surely you must see that?

Ncrdrg said:
I didn't mean the U.N. as in 'everyone gets a vote'. I said a U.N.-like organization as in a central entity that decides what is acceptable and what is not and enforces it very harshly. That's why I used the word 'oversight'.

Yes, they view them as lesser species, there is no doubt about that. But I've never seen them as slaves in any way whatsoever. At least, not the way we describe slaves. They don't work for humans but they do seek their favor because they're aware they were the ruling entity. Do you remember a point when they were ordered, not asked, to do anything? Because I don't. Do you remember them being threatened with destruction for not disposing of their children? I don't. Maybe it's just my memory that's bad but all I saw was a lesser colony trying to curry favor of a stronger entity.

And seriously, if we had the means to obliterate overnight a country like North Korea with no repercussion, in a world where the stakes are like, a thousand times higher because everything can go wrong so quickly, I'm not convinced I can judge this as 'wrong'.

Being asked and then punished if you're not wanting to do it, is akin to being in servitude. We saw them cleaning out the human ditches; I hardly think that was something they did for their pleasure. They fell to their knees and greeted them as Gods; hardly a normal working relationship between equals, me thinks. They, and their whole colony would be wiped out without legal recourse, if the cantus-users would wish it so: how would this be considered just and righteous?

And you're missing the point of the UN too; the basic tenet of the UN is that those 'harsh' decisions you say they take and the right to apply them are derived from the principle that each country can vote on it. Each country willingly asks for membership, and each country has his say in the matter and can vote. And when the majority votes for a sanction THEN it is applied.

None of this is the case with the rats. And any UN-like organisation who decides what is acceptable and what not, and enforces it harshly *without* that democratic input, is, indeed, a tyranny.

PS. I also do not follow your ethical stance on N-Korea. 'Obliterating it' would mean that you have countless millions of civilian deaths. If one has no qualms with that, then one should also not have any problems with the ethics of N-Korea doing the same and obliterating the US or Europe.
AnimageNebyFeb 23, 2013 7:00 AM
Feb 23, 2013 7:00 AM
Jun 2009
I really got chills from this episode and freaked out right now... I hate thinking how these events might be possible in our time as well... especially like what happens in movies such as I am Legend or 28 Days Later
Feb 23, 2013 7:02 AM
Dec 2012
AnimageNeby said:

His own moral and ethical considerations should apply to himself, and it doesn't neither. That's why he's being unethical, even without a human stance. We also saw in the past that Kiroumaru thought squeeler to be unethical, and no doubt he will think the same now.

This shows - as I have said, but you completely ignored this argument - that it's not due to an intrinsic difference of cultural mores of the rats vs the humans, but more of the inherent property of Squeeler. Hence, there is no excuse to just brushing it off as only morally ambiguous from the standpoint of humans, otherwise other rats wouldn't have any problem with his behaviour neither.

So, you are wrong. While maybe not all human behaviour, ethics and morality may apply to him, behaviour, ethics and morality on itself *does* apply to him. Or at least, should apply to him, if he's morally upright. However, he does not follow his own proclaimed morals, and he acts in manners to which even other rats (at least from other clans) find inappropriate, as is proven by turning his queen in a mindless puppet. I repeat; this was not found to be unethical by human standards alone, but also by other rats.

Therefore, he does not gain immunity through the claim he can't be judged by human standards, because he can be claimed to be guilty by his own stated morals - which he disregards himself, and those of other rats. He can not claim the universality of the principle of the right of freedom and ones' own will for sentient beings, and than conveniently disregard and ignore his own moral stance without becoming immoral - not to our, but even to his own standards - surely you must see that?

You are wrong. Even not all the humans follow their own moral and ethics at times. Some politicians contradict themseves. Even though Yakomaru contradicts himself, his claim is valid. Rats have been suppressed by humans. Thus it's valid for rats to rebel against humans even though it is led by Yakomaru.
eminagnamFeb 23, 2013 7:06 AM
Feb 23, 2013 7:17 AM

Jul 2012
I watched the first episode just for fun right before that.
It made this episode just that much better.
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Feb 23, 2013 7:19 AM

Sep 2011
Holy shit. Why does this show get better and better each episode. Shisei got killed because of leaking Cantus and the Fiend is actually Maria & Mamoru's son; which Squealer most likely killed the two somehow after the kid was born.
Feb 23, 2013 7:47 AM

Mar 2009
I hate to say this, since it's japan and all, but once the world found out what was happening... they would nuke Japan. Do you really think that there would be no more nuclear weapons? Especially in America? They would nuke the areas they knew where the queerrats lived so that their 10 year plan to eventually take over the world would not happen. and anyway i would not assume that the world lives the same way as they do in this japan, I am sure there are people living without the death feedback so don't say that they wouldn't be able to because of the death feedback, people always make back-up plans and a group of people born without any of the hypnosis or proper socialization always could be a possibility and surely has a plan for it.

Yakomaru would also have to keep the kids apart, as the kids got older they would know they were not queer rats and band together, they wouldn't trust the queerrats. They would know they were not queer rats because they look nothing alike and once they saw other humans they would wonder why they re told to get rid of people who look like them and then the death feedback would work on them. It doesn't work on the maria's kid now because he's properly never looked in a mirror nor seen any other humans until he was told to kill them.

Id also like to add that this kid is not a fiend, he doesn't think he is human so the death feedback doesn't work on him, he also doesn't kill the queer rats because he thinks he is one of them. If he was a fiend he would kill the queer rats too because fiends just kill their our kind. I also believe fiends are born for being people who are bullied and not loved and cared for, I can only base this on the example of a fiend they showed in the show, he was abused by his mother and felt disconnected from humanity and hated people so he became a fiend.
uniquelyme91Feb 23, 2013 8:02 AM
Cat Love

Feb 23, 2013 7:52 AM

Nov 2011
uniquelyme91 said:
I hate to say this, since it's japan and all, but once the world found out what was happening... they would nuke Japan. Do you really think that there would be no more nuclear weapons? Especially in America? They would nuke the areas they knew where the queerrats lived so that their 10 year plan to eventually take over the world would not happen. and anyway i would not assume that the world lives the same way as they do in this japan, I am sure there are people living without the death feedback so don't say that they wouldn't be able to because of the death feedback, people always make back-up plans and a group of people born without any of the hypnosis or proper socialization always could be a possibility and surely has a plan for it.

There are no more nukes....
The Art of Eight
Feb 23, 2013 7:58 AM

Jan 2011
I've read through these post and it seems that a lot of people think the same as me.
I'm not going to repeat all of the info, but Squeeler is really a bastard. He was saved by Saki and the others and now they get this in return, if the theory is correct that is.

This is really exiting and 'm looking forward to more.
I think that something like this may actually happen in the future though. Although humanity will probably nuke themselves instead.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Pages (7) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.