Forum Settings
Forums
New
Dec 5, 2008 9:27 AM
Jul 2018
Copied and pasted the posts concerning Heisig's book that were flooding the "Practice your Japanese here!" thread.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
Mistral said:
UchihaItachi6660 said:
._. I just started taking Japanese, but I'll try posting a bit (we haven't done kanji yet, so bear with me -_-')

おは伊予皆さん!どうぞよろしく。わたしは日本語だいすき。

Does that make sense?

I've never seen "ohayou" written in kanji. Plus it just doesn't look right: simple greeting should be written with simple hiragana. So it's おはようみんなさん(皆さん).
Next part: どうぞよろしく is usually written at the end of your self-introduction. More proper is はじめまして <few words about yourself, your name, hobby, etc.> どうぞよろしく.
わたしは日本語だいすき is also not fully correct. Before (だい)すき there should be particle が. I bet that in slang lazy Japanese can omit this particle but you can't! lol So correct version is わたし は にほんご が だいすき。
And my small advice for you: don't bother with kanji now. If you don't know them or don't have good dictionary with yourself then there is no need for you to use them at this level. You don't even need them in conversation with Japanese on Skype because they will use roomaji If you ask them to do so. Focus on hiragana, katakana and grammar now.

sleepyday said:
I have to disagree with you Mistral. It's the mindset that one can "skip" Kanji that leads to many frustrations.

I've learned all 1,945 常用漢字 and some of the 人名用, for a total of 2,042 漢字. Basically, when I'm browsing the Internet and learning sentences, I'm not afraid of the kanji anymore. Plus, it makes kanji that I didn't learn yet easier to pick up. For instance, the kanji for the word "who" (誰), is one of the kanji that comes in the third volume of Heisig's books, but I was easily able to remember it's meaning and writing just by seeing it used in a sentence. Likewise, I can do this for kanji like 儲 in the word 儲け, as in the phrase: 彼は金儲けがうまい。(彼は金もうけがうまい。)

This is the result of the immediate completion of Remembering the Kanji 1. Basically, you learn the 2,042 kanji in it, meaning and writing. Then at the end, in lesson 56 it teaches how to learn new kanji as you encounter them. This is a valuable asset, and I would never go back. I'm so relieved that I have the general use characters under my belt. And, I advise everyone to do the same, because it's pretty nice looking at a wall of Japanese text and saying, "At least I know what all those Kanji mean."

And, one more thing.. Never study grammar to produce sentences. Focus on learning the Kanji, then the Kana, and then you can focus on learning to speak aloud and write by hand 10,000 grammatically correct Japanese sentences that you take from sources made by natives for natives. In doing this, you will gradually acquire the language, instead of "learning" it. Because learning it, that's what you do in school, according to Stephen Krashen (expert in linguistics).

Anyways, Kanji are that important. If you go to Japan, they're everywhere. You best get them out of the way early on and not have to worry about it. :)

Mistral said:
Ok, maybe I expressed what I meant wrong. The thing is that it's better for him to use no kanji rather than use it in a wrong way. Just because it can lead to many misunderstandings. かみ can be written in like 10 different ways (you will find even more if you are bored) and writing "I believe in paper" instead of "I believe in god" may look a little odd. Oh my Paper[sic]!

I won't say that your method is wrong because I just started trying RTK 1 and I can't judge whether it's good or bad. In my opinion it's just better to know few basic phrases, gramatical rules first, if you want to start your adventure with Japanese. Even by studying those, you subconsciously learn basic kanji because you have them in examples attached to gramatical notes (if you don't then change your book)

hikky said:
こんにちは、みんなさん
僕はたった今部を入りました。多分この部の方よりもっと高いレベルかもしれないが、これからもよろしくね。

僕のばあいは、今もっと珍しい語彙や漢字を勉強しています。

とにかく、どんなレベルでもがんばってね。

Oh, by the way, I really don't recommend getting into the Heisig/RTK stuff. The only useful thing you can glean from that is remembering what the kanji look like, the meanings are next to worthless really, kanji have multiple compounds and meanings and readings and so forth.

midori- said:
yeah that's what I think. I use iit so i can write it. some of the meanings he sticks on are just iffy/wrong...( like if you actually know words with whatever kanji and seeing the word he attached on) or they just way to english-y.

but I think it's a really good way to learn to write (not stsroke orders per say, cause the instructions for writing are very bare/meager). Honestly, drilling it doesn't work, it doesn't matter if you write it 1000 + toimes yoiu'll stilll forget and blank out on how to write. but reading/reocgnizining is another thing.

Mistral said:
Well, I have to agree with hikky. I've just scanned through second volume of RTK and it's really bad. Just a simple word like 大使館 probably won't be read properly by someone after completing vol 1 and 2. Even by looking at those kanji it's hard to guess the meaning. Big, use, building? It can be just everything, but obviously, those are kanji for word "embassy".
RTK can be a little help with learning because it consist stories which helped me memorize shape of kanji. Other than that, in my opinion it's useless.

sleepyday said:
Have the three of you even completed the book, while pairing them with spaced repetitions daily? If not, then you don't have any room to talk. You'd be surprised how much knowing all of those Kanji really can do for you. I can list out a few experiences of my own that will likely happen to those that complete the first volume:

1. I never have trouble recalling any string of Kanji for a word. The Kanji are compounded in a logical order, and knowing the meaning of them individually assists in the recall of the entire word(s).

2. Walls of Kanji are intimidating to the beginner who hasn't worked through Heisig's book. I have no such fear when looking at them. I'm ready to take them on, because at least I have clues to their meaning.

3. You get used to seeing Kanji and become familiar with all the different shapes. This helps again in the recall of compounds and individual words.

4. You learn over 2000 Kanji that are needed in everyday situations. This is invaluable to anyone that plans on gaining native-level fluency. You have to know these Kanji, and Heisig is the way through them.

5. You feel more comfortable in your immersion environment (for those that have one). For me, I spend an awful lot of time on the internet. My browser, e-mail, home page, and other software is in Japanese. Many times I have looked at the Kanji compounds in these areas and was able to analyze their meanings from my work with Heisig and the preemptive knowledge of the applications and understand the compounds and words used. This was even while I was working through Heisig's book. It felt like a victory to me, and those are important.

6. The meanings assigned to them are not necessarily meanings. They are keywords to give the specific connotation of each Kanji. For example: 旬 is said to mean "decameron" (which is absolutely correct) but can also hold the meaning of a "10day period" (which is exactly what a "decameron" is) and a "season" in the sense of the following sentences: 旬である。 and 旬でない。(Be in season and Be out of season, respectively). This connotation of season is referring to something like a season for specific product, like fruit or fish. But the connotation of "decameron" given by Heisig makes the connotation of "season" pretty apparent.

I had the same reaction as you three, but I was going to do it anyway. I told myself, at least by the end of it, I'll know how to write all these Kanji and know what they mean, at the very least. When I got to 川 in the book and it said "stream," I had initially learned it as meaning "river." It made sense, but it didn't feel right. But I said to myself, that Kanji have multiple meanings, but one general connotation, and this captures it. So I moved on, and now I know a significant amount of Kanji, I'd say. This puts me and others that have completed the book at a distinct advantage. See #7..

7. Those that complete the book know the general use Kanji, how to write them and what they mean. The fact that they are aware of each and every general use Kanji is invaluable. Heisig does this for you. All in one book. His second book is designed to give you a reading for each (the on'yomi, which is most popular). Those that complete the book are at an even greater advantage than one who only learns the material in the first book. Heisig says that recognition of the characters (Character -> Meaning/Reading) comes naturally through writing them. This is definitely true. And, working through the second book is likely to strengthen that. The third book just does the same thing, only adding more characters to the mix, first learning their writing and meaning and then learning a reading. One can do that, or they can learn the way I am, which is a step-by-step approach to the readings. (AJATT way of things).

8. Confidence in writing words with the IME. I've typed words from time to time that produce Kanji on the IME. Before Heisig, I would reconvert them back if I didn't know them. But now I can say with confidence which Kanji go with the words I'm typing because their meanings do the work for me. For example, はじめまして, is used in greetings as we all know, but can actually be written 初めまして. Heisig gave the Kanji 初 the connotation of "first time" which is accurate because this greeting is only used when meeting someone for the first time. You wouldn't know that if you didn't know the meaning of the Kanji there. But, I do because I worked through Heisig. There are alternatives to knowing that (i.e. - Looking it up), but are you going to do that with every Kanji, every time until you know them? Or would you rather know them ahead of time and have that confidence? I choose the latter.

9. I could go on all day about these things. For instance, one other reason I could mention is that if you work through it entirely at once, you build up an iron will that carries you through to fluency. I don't know this from experience, but I know that learning nothing but Kanji for days and days on end, every single day anxiously awaiting completion but being patient at the same time is enough to build up the will to keep going after that.

10. Finally, for a tenth good reason, it's Japanese. That should be all the reason you need to work through it. It's not going to hurt you to know all the general use Kanji and then some, so why not do it? Because you think that it doesn't help your Japanese directly? Well, only knowing the writing and meaning does quite a bit for me, and I'm sure it will for others.

I don't expect you to change your ways, but I suggest you lay off the nasty comments about Heisig and his books. Those that have completed the book(s) are at a much greater advantage than those who have not worked through them. I know ChaoticHoshi spent over five months on the book, I spent a little under three, and firebound12 is still working through the book as well, having spent over a month on it. You all have no right saying that this was wasted time. It's disrespectful. And, frankly, you don't know what the hell you're talking about. You haven't finished the book, so therefore you don't know the benefits.

firebound12 said:
midori- said:
but I think it's a really good way to learn to write (not stsroke orders per say, cause the instructions for writing are very bare/meager). Honestly, drilling it doesn't work, it doesn't matter if you write it 1000 + toimes yoiu'll stilll forget and blank out on how to write. but reading/reocgnizining is another thing.

From personal experience, I would say:

1. You will learn how to write the stroke order. In the first book, Heisig shows all the stroke orders of all the first Kanji, but afterward he slowly stop showing you how to write them and at the end only show stroke order when it's either not obvious or totally new. From what I can say, you will know how to write them at a certain point without him showing how to write in order. Not only me, but my brother, all my Asian friends and all those who can write Chinese characters could possibly write any character in the right stroke order even if it was new. Well, I said all this, but most of you guys know this already. I don't see why you blame Heisig being "Bare/meager" for the writings.

2. I am not sure if you're defining "drilling" as in writing it 1000 times in a row. If this is what you're trying to say, then you have misunderstood both Heisig and Khatzu's methods. Heisig didn't tell you to drill 1000 times in a row, but to put in flash cards. Of course, he didn't know about SRS back then. That's where Khatzu's method comes in. SRS is used specifically to "drill" but in a way that's make memorizing a hell lot easier and waste less time on reviewing uselessly. Go to site info to get more info on SRS. On the other hand, if you're talking about SRS's "drilling" not working, then... you're completely wrong. Because you do remember all of them only by RECALL, and not recognition.
Recall is much more better than recognition if you want to memorize. If you want to talk about the psychology of this, I could, but I don't feel like it right now. However, I can tell you examples of this. I have Psy and Socio class. My Psy exams uses multiple answers type of question. My Socio exams uses memorizing the definitions by heart. After writing those exams, I couldn't remember, for example, Psy's definition if it was in multiple answers. However, I can still remember quite well the definition in the socio exam because I have recalled, and much better: I used SRS, which engraved the definition in my memory. Here's the proof of a definition that I learned 2 months ago and have never practiced it again till now: Society: "A large group of people who shares the same geographic location and have the same political policies".
Of course, the goal to memorizing those kanji is to read them afterward, so you still have to mix both of them together.

hikky said:
Oh, by the way, I really don't recommend getting into the Heisig/RTK stuff. The only useful thing you can glean from that is remembering what the kanji look like, the meanings are next to worthless really, kanji have multiple compounds and meanings and readings and so forth.

Meanings in the first book are suppose to be very very general and not specific. If it's not the main meaning, then at the very least it's one of the meaning. And contrary to what you may prejudge, 99% of the meanings are worth it. I started playing games only in Japanese, and could get the general meaning by only looking at the kanji and respond correctly to it. The 1%? Well, it's the doubt that comes from not having practice all kanji and not having started the sentence phase. Anyway, stop focusing on the 1%, but rather on the 99%.

Mistral said:
Well, I have to agree with hikky. I've just scanned through second volume of RTK and it's really bad. Just a simple word like 大使館 probably won't be read properly by someone after completing vol 1 and 2. Even by looking at those kanji it's hard to guess the meaning. Big, use, building? It can be just everything, but obviously, those are kanji for word "embassy".

I have to say that obviousness is very subjective. Some people might find it so obvious that they wouldn't understand why others can't get it. I had difficulties even in the first book to get the story right for some kanjis, but if really stuck, I look at others' stories and see if one could be useful to create my own.

EDIT: Also, for the number of repetition per kanji if we use Khatzu method, it is really worth it. I'll estimate that to complete Heisig's first book with SRS, you'll need around 15 000 spaced repetitions in total for around 2000 kanjis so that they're mature and have 95% of chance to recall every single one of them correctly (probably 99% recognition). That's 8 repetition per kanji average! Ok, if you want, let's try with 20 000 or even 50 000. 10 to 25 repetitions per kanji. Still very far from a thousand times.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Dec 5, 2008 9:30 AM
Jul 2018
ChaoticHoshi said:
AJATT has nothing to do with RTK vol. 2...

hikky said:
firebound12 said:
Meanings in the first book are suppose to be very very general and not specific. If it's not the main meaning, then at the very least it's one of the meaning. And contrary to what you may prejudge, 99% of the meanings are worth it. I started playing games only in Japanese, and could get the general meaning by only looking at the kanji and respond correctly to it. The 1%? Well, it's the doubt that comes from not having practice all kanji and not having started the sentence phase. Anyway, stop focusing on the 1%, but rather on the 99%.

"Getting the general meaning" is worthless except for something simple like navigating game menus and so forth. If you want to speak the language, you need an understanding of the kanji that coincides with vocabulary. The reason I don't like the heisig method is because it focuses on literacy before you can actually even speak the language. When it inevitably comes time that you actually have to learn the kanji fully, the meanings you've built into your subconscious will only become a hindrance in remembering the actual meanings. You might recognize how the kanji look, but that's the easiest part of learning a kanji in the first place. The hard part is having the vocabulary and multiple meanings and compounds, as well as special readings down pat. If you were just trying to be able to navigate Japanese text with some understanding, RTK would make sense. However, if your plan is to learn the language, there are much better uses of your time, IMO.

sleepyday said:
If you know a better way to learn the Kanji, then say so. Instead of being negative, lets try and think of a better way. What do you suggest? Have you tried Heisig? And, if you did, did you finish it? If not, you don't have room to talk. But I'll gladly hear your opinions on how one should go about learning all the Kanji they need to know.

firebound12 said:
hikky said:
"Getting the general meaning" is worthless except for something simple like navigating game menus and so forth. If you want to speak the language, you need an understanding of the kanji that coincides with vocabulary. The reason I don't like the heisig method is because it focuses on literacy before you can actually even speak the language. When it inevitably comes time that you actually have to learn the kanji fully, the meanings you've built into your subconscious will only become a hindrance in remembering the actual meanings. You might recognize how the kanji look, but that's the easiest part of learning a kanji in the first place. The hard part is having the vocabulary and multiple meanings and compounds, as well as special readings down pat. If you were just trying to be able to navigate Japanese text with some understanding, RTK would make sense. However, if your plan is to learn the language, there are much better uses of your time, IMO.

Wait, are you trying to tell us that we only using Heisig's book to go for fluency? Because Heisig is only one of the first steps. RTK1 is suppose to last between 3 to 6 months to completion, which for my Asian friends is considered a hell lot in such a short time amount of time to learn 2042 kanji.

And contrary to what you think, the meaning does coincide with the vocabulary. Unless you didn't have the feeling of knowing all those kanji, you can't tell this. I didn't know and no one ever knew how it felt before going through the book. The whole point of Heisig's method is to get that "first edge advantage" that East Asian people have when they want to learn Japanese (and having already learned another east-asia language). Asian people doesn't know the specific vocabulary, the multiple meaning and compounds in Japanese, but how come they have a HUGE advantage over people who never knew chinese characters?

Take English and French for example. These two languages are extremely familiar to each others and many words looks the same. It's as much as Mandarin being familiar with Japanese because of the characters. My mother tongue is French and I didn't knew a single thing in English until I was in elementary school 4rd grade. I learned in 2 months the equivalent of a fluent English person who goes to High School in the 5th grade (in Canada, small difference between countries) because it was so "familiar" to French. But I couldn't say that I knew a single English word before. Heisig method is only to get you to "feel" like the French person who learns English like I did.

Second thing I'm not sure is that you're saying that " 'Heisig's method' focuses on literacy before speaking the language", which is false if you're taking Heisig only into account. He clearly says that it is for ALL people, from beginners to fluent Japanese people. This leads to my second question, which is, did you read anything about Khatzu's (AJATT) method, which includes Heisig's method into it?

ChaoticHoshi said:
For the most part this discussion needs to end; the purpose of this thread was to "Practice your Japanese" not determining the best learning style... Of course... being the quite one here that has completed RTK1 and moving on to the next steps of AJATT. I too would like to give my POV.

First off... AJATT is Not a learning style dedicated to RTK ... You're just screwing your mind like I did if you look into it too deep especially with book 2... IGNORE IT. AJATT just needs the first book to start with only... The only focus is to learn the basic meaning (Not compounded) and writing of the said to be 2000+ kanji's that an average Japanese person should know.

Also if you learn the 2000+ Kanji's early, it would put you in a better position to learn even more Kanji's later down the road.

hikky said:

If you want to speak the language, you need an understanding of the kanji that coincides with vocabulary. The reason I don't like the heisig method is because it focuses on literacy before you can actually even speak the language. When it inevitably comes time that you actually have to learn the kanji fully, the meanings you've built into your subconscious will only become a hindrance in remembering the actual meanings. You might recognize how the kanji look, but that's the easiest part of learning a kanji in the first place. The hard part is having the vocabulary and multiple meanings and compounds, as well as special readings down pat.

hikky I'm not sure if you've looked at Khatzumoto's meathod to learning Japanese, but to some us his method is the most structured way to learn Japanese, especially for Self-teaching. For AJATT the breakdown is like this:

Kanji -> Kana -> Sentences[Vocab/Grammar]

Yes we know you need an understanding of the kanji that coincides with vocabulary; Yes we know their are multiple meanings and compounds that associate with each Kanji. That's just pretty much common sense... but we learn those things later when we move into sentences/grammar...

It's no difference if you learn it say for example:

Kana -> Sentence[Vocab/Grammar] -> Kanji

Because whichever method you decide to learn Japanese with, you're still going to associate the vocabulary to the Kanji's. With AJATT atleast you've taken care of learning how to write and memorize the Kanji's that you are going to associate to what it is your going to learn.

Basically... I believe the core of AJATT is to able to learn the language while being able to put the Kanji with it at the point in time instead of dealing with it later. I mean seriously why would you want to learn the kanji material later when you have the word you're learning in front of you to put it with???

sleepyday said:
Well, I don't think I have the ability to lock/delete threads. I would like to add a few things to this discussion, though.

We, that follow the AJATT method, don't stop at Heisig. It's not like we learn the material in the first book (and third if you choose to go that far) and then claim that we know all there is to know about the Kanji. It's a first step as ChaoticHoshi has said. I'm basically reiterating what's been previously stated, but I'm reassuring you of the facts. Heisig is not a be all end all. It is a strategy devised to make learning the vocabulary much simpler. This puts us that aren't familiar with the Chinese characters on an even playing ground with those that are familiar with them. Heisig says that it puts us in the position to be even with the Chinese. I disagree with this only because Chinese children are taught many many more characters that actually do show up in Japanese, but this can be remedied with the third book which has more characters in it.

I suggest you learn our method before making such claims about it.

In this game, results are what matter, not how you get there.
removed-userDec 5, 2008 9:46 AM
Dec 8, 2008 4:43 PM

May 2008
I guess I should elaborate on my position here..

1: When you say you've "learned" a kanji through RTK, you haven't actually "learned" a kanji. What you have learned is how to recognize and write the kanji, and an approximated English meaning. This is a farcry from "knowing" the kanji on the level you need to know it for fluency, which is presumably the eventual goal of anyone doing RTK. Being able to write and read the kanji is good, however, it's a waste of time to devote 3 to 6 months to that alone (The meanings are really not particularly useful, because you will have to alter those meanings once you have actual context to apply the kanji to, and of course so many kanji have multiple meanings. Being able to estimate the meaning of a text will be a worthless skill once you can actually read the text).

2: The benefit of a Chinese person learning Japanese is overstated. They still have to learn all the new readings and slightly different or new meanings, which is the hardest part of learning the kanji in the first place. When you have the vocabulary down before learning the kanji, it's not difficult to learn. This is the way actual Japanese people learn, by knowing the vocabulary before they learn the kanji. The reason so many people say that kanji is hard is because they isolate learning kanji from their vocabulary study. That's a bad thing to do, because kanji and vocabulary are complimentary knowledge, you understand both better with the other. It's not good to be trying to translate kanji into your native language, because there's not always a proper approximation or you could be just getting the wrong meaning or idea. Kanji are not meant to be read in isolation, they are used in compounds very frequently and that can change the meaning quite a bit. If there is an equivalent in English, it's like learning "extra" and "ordinary" alone, and then guessing the meaning of "extraordinary" based on that. You would think it means "Really plain/boring/ordinary", when actually it means the opposite. This can happen quite frequently if you only understand one approximated meaning. 日 means day and 本 means book, so 日本 would mean..? Japan.

3: You will eventually have to truly learn the kanji anyway. This process will not be significantly easier (As in, not 3-6 months easier) just by being familiar with the kanji itself. It will, however, be significantly easier if you already have a contextual understanding of the vocabulary. It wouldn't make sense to learn to write English before you knew how the words you were writing sounded, just like it doesn't make sense in Japanese. Besides, speaking and listening is the more important half for most people wanting to learn the language.

4: There are closer to 3000 kanji that are seen and used in normal life. 2000 kanji are taught by the 7th grade in Japan, and won't cut it for even a highschool level of literacy (I have needed to use plenty of kanji that go past the "first 2000" just in exchanging letters with a Japanese friend) ... and of course, if you want
hikkyDec 8, 2008 4:48 PM
Dec 8, 2008 10:06 PM
Jul 2018
Ok, so I understand your point. But I'd like to know how one should actually go about learning the Kanji? Japanese kids that learn them have to write them over and over and have the benefit of being surrounded in them. No matter where they go. Not only that, but they are taught over the course of years. Heisig's complete set of books (the three of them) teach you 3007 Kanji (writing and meaning first then reading, and I believe a compound with each reading). But this is just a start. It's only suppose to be a starting point. Adjusting the meanings hasn't been difficult at all for me. In fact, when I think about compounds metaphorically, it actually makes sense, and serves as a free mnemonic for remembering the compounds.

Really though, I'm just curious how you think one should go about learning. It doesn't have to be in any great detail. You seem to know what your talking about and I'm just curious. I want native-level fluency, and I'm always looking for ways to improve the method in which I learn. The way I've done it so far is the best I've seen.

By the way, with your "extraordinary" example. That error won't happen with those that learn the same way that AJATT and Antimoon do things (because you're suppose to look up the meaning of words your don't know in your dictionary).

Dec 9, 2008 6:30 PM

Sep 2008
Now, it seems that you also haven't look everywhere as to what we're doing to learn Japanese.

And I only have one reply to tell you, Hikky:

http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/faqs-frequently-asked-questions

You are exactly like that persons asking the FAQs. Please read EVERY "questions" that have been put there, and also, read it in order. Then come back and respond.
Dec 9, 2008 7:49 PM

May 2008
firebound12 said:
Now, it seems that you also haven't look everywhere as to what we're doing to learn Japanese.

And I only have one reply to tell you, Hikky:

http://www.alljapaneseallthetime.com/blog/faqs-frequently-asked-questions

You are exactly like that persons asking the FAQs. Please read EVERY "questions" that have been put there, and also, read it in order. Then come back and respond.

I'm not debating the AJATT method, I don't know much about it at all. If it works for people, that's good. I'm talking about RTK as an isolated method of study, not different methods.

sleepyday said:
Ok, so I understand your point. But I'd like to know how one should actually go about learning the Kanji? Japanese kids that learn them have to write them over and over and have the benefit of being surrounded in them. No matter where they go. Not only that, but they are taught over the course of years. Heisig's complete set of books (the three of them) teach you 3007 Kanji (writing and meaning first then reading, and I believe a compound with each reading). But this is just a start. It's only suppose to be a starting point. Adjusting the meanings hasn't been difficult at all for me. In fact, when I think about compounds metaphorically, it actually makes sense, and serves as a free mnemonic for remembering the compounds.

Really though, I'm just curious how you think one should go about learning. It doesn't have to be in any great detail. You seem to know what your talking about and I'm just curious. I want native-level fluency, and I'm always looking for ways to improve the method in which I learn. The way I've done it so far is the best I've seen.

By the way, with your "extraordinary" example. That error won't happen with those that learn the same way that AJATT and Antimoon do things (because you're suppose to look up the meaning of words your don't know in your dictionary).

Sorry if I was wrong about the numbers, I just always hear people saying ~2000 when they talk about the RTK method.

My personal preference is spaced repetition combined with frequent listening (Perfect for people who watch anime), pulling vocabulary from those listening sources so you get it in context, and studying the kanji with the vocab. I use Anki for this, and I can comfortably learn 5-10+ words and their kanji each day (With even just about 30 minutes of time put into it, because you review them a couple times each day and it doesn't take long), and because it comes from context, I tend to know comfortably when a word is applicable and understand the true meaning that can sometimes be hard to put into a concise translation. This way, you can read everything new that you can understand by listening, and as I've said, the two compliment each other and aid in memory. You don't isolate the kanji and learn them 1 by 1, you use them in their natural compounds that coincide with vocabulary and it makes memorizing them much easier.

A couple examples of how this can work, from my own studies:
参加 = さんか = Participation
参考 = さんこう = Reference
Now I easily remember that the on reading for 参 is サン.
Or.. I knew that 店 could be read みせ and 閉 could be read し(める) previously, then I learned 閉店, which is へいてん, and taught me a new reading for both of them.

A lot of times when you know them like this and have a good vocab to boot, you can even learn a lot of things by inferring them while reading. I always knew the reading of 戦 as in war/戦争, but I didn't know that it also represented たたかい. I saw it written 戦い, actually in the practice your Japanese thread, and given the context could infer the reading of it (And it's easy to check, by just typing in たたかい with Japanese on).
hikkyDec 10, 2008 6:44 AM
Dec 10, 2008 1:21 PM
Jul 2018
Wow, okay.

Well I owe you an apology. After reading what you said and have read Tae Kim's guide, particularly the part about Kanji, using them in context as you learn vocabulary is actually very effective. And I can definitely vouch for that. For instance, I've only completed Heisig's first book which contains 2,042 Kanji, but there are times that I come across Kanji outside of that realm. Having the benefit of having learned at least the 2,042 I feel more comfortable with Kanji, especially when I come across new ones. Here's how I work:

I also use Anki for this due to it's bias towards Japanese (which is good).

I have Text-to-Speech software that I use to create audio clips of entire sentences. They usually range from single clause sentences which have about 4-15 characters, give or take, to two clause sentences that have an upper limit of about 30-35 characters, mixed Kana and Kanji. The audio clip says the sentence for me on the front of the card. I parrot it back a few times until I get it up to natural speed and then write it down in full with Kanji. What this does is gives me words in context, as well as allowing me to forget about the hardship of grammar, since I only have to think about the meaning of the sentence as a whole and know the meaning and function of each word/part of the sentence. This assumes an understanding of the particles used.

I'll flip the card, and usually have the sentence in full there to check my writing. The readings basically learn themselves this way. Because, if you can write it given just the audio, then you can certainly read it if it's in front of your face.

But my point is, about the Kanji, is that sometimes I'll have ones that weren't in that first book that I'll learn as just Japanese words. I'll still get their meaning and writing, but I also learn vocabulary at the same time. So our ways of thinking aren't too different. :)

By the way, the reason I prefer whole sentences is because it takes the burden of learning grammar and memorizing conjugations and such off. Because with sentences (since I'm pulling from dictionaries and native sources) give you a feel for what "sounds right." Just like in your native language.
Dec 10, 2008 2:21 PM

May 2008
sleepyday said:
Wow, okay.

Well I owe you an apology. After reading what you said and have read Tae Kim's guide, particularly the part about Kanji, using them in context as you learn vocabulary is actually very effective. And I can definitely vouch for that. For instance, I've only completed Heisig's first book which contains 2,042 Kanji, but there are times that I come across Kanji outside of that realm. Having the benefit of having learned at least the 2,042 I feel more comfortable with Kanji, especially when I come across new ones. Here's how I work:

I also use Anki for this due to it's bias towards Japanese (which is good).

I have Text-to-Speech software that I use to create audio clips of entire sentences. They usually range from single clause sentences which have about 4-15 characters, give or take, to two clause sentences that have an upper limit of about 30-35 characters, mixed Kana and Kanji. The audio clip says the sentence for me on the front of the card. I parrot it back a few times until I get it up to natural speed and then write it down in full with Kanji. What this does is gives me words in context, as well as allowing me to forget about the hardship of grammar, since I only have to think about the meaning of the sentence as a whole and know the meaning and function of each word/part of the sentence. This assumes an understanding of the particles used.

I'll flip the card, and usually have the sentence in full there to check my writing. The readings basically learn themselves this way. Because, if you can write it given just the audio, then you can certainly read it if it's in front of your face.

But my point is, about the Kanji, is that sometimes I'll have ones that weren't in that first book that I'll learn as just Japanese words. I'll still get their meaning and writing, but I also learn vocabulary at the same time. So our ways of thinking aren't too different. :)

By the way, the reason I prefer whole sentences is because it takes the burden of learning grammar and memorizing conjugations and such off. Because with sentences (since I'm pulling from dictionaries and native sources) give you a feel for what "sounds right." Just like in your native language.

Sounds like a good method.

The reason I do just singular vocabulary and not sentences is because it's easier for me to remember the vocabulary as well as the kanji if I isolate it... I have the same opinions on grammar study, so for that I just try to do more listening (aside from just anime as well of course, so I stay used to normal-sounding speech) and actively thinking about how people are saying things, with the occasional repeating of what I hear as you mentioned doing. The only caveat in this for me is that the program I'm using to watch Japanese TV (KeyHole TV) is not the greatest quality since it's all streaming and so there can be some static on some channels..
Dec 10, 2008 8:18 PM
Jul 2018
I hear you on the singular vocabulary. Isolating things in a "divide and conquer"-esque. In my sentence items, the amount of Kanji really depends on the sentence. But, I try to make it as Kanji heavy as I can. (i.e. -- 朝御飯 instead of 朝ご飯).

I watch KeyHole TV as well, so I know what you speak of. I do recommend, however, listening to podcasts. Marimoeo is one that I listen to. It's a group of girls, but their podcasts have a planned topic and they speak gender neutral.

Mind if I ask how many items you have in your Anki deck?
Dec 11, 2008 8:14 AM

May 2008
sleepyday said:
I hear you on the singular vocabulary. Isolating things in a "divide and conquer"-esque. In my sentence items, the amount of Kanji really depends on the sentence. But, I try to make it as Kanji heavy as I can. (i.e. -- 朝御飯 instead of 朝ご飯).

I watch KeyHole TV as well, so I know what you speak of. I do recommend, however, listening to podcasts. Marimoeo is one that I listen to. It's a group of girls, but their podcasts have a planned topic and they speak gender neutral.

I guess the reason I don't do the sentence method is because it seems unnecessary to make a sentence for all the words you learn.. I mean, if we had the words 団子 and 果物 you could say ”団子を食べるのが好きです" or "果物を食べるのが好きです".
You could say the same for any other food item. Or other objects and verbs if you remove 食べる. "*を*のが好きです" I.E. "本を読むのが好き”.

So I think because grammar is mostly a shared thing, I can get off without studying specific usage of every word. There's some that can be kind of unique, I'll admit.. but overall it seems to work for me.

I don't know why I hadn't thought of podcasts before.. thanks for the recommendation.

My Anki deck has about 142 facts currently, I started over recently because I accidentally deleted my old deck doing some desktop cleaning.. heh. Needless to say, my new deck isn't saved on the desktop.
Dec 11, 2008 9:46 AM
Jul 2018
hikky said:
sleepyday said:

I guess the reason I don't do the sentence method is because it seems unnecessary to make a sentence for all the words you learn.. I mean, if we had the words 団子 and 果物 you could say ”団子を食べるのが好きです" or "果物を食べるのが好きです".
You could say the same for any other food item. Or other objects and verbs if you remove 食べる. "*を*のが好きです" I.E. "本を読むのが好き”.

So I think because grammar is mostly a shared thing, I can get off without studying specific usage of every word. There's some that can be kind of unique, I'll admit.. but overall it seems to work for me.

I don't know why I hadn't thought of podcasts before.. thanks for the recommendation.

My Anki deck has about 142 facts currently, I started over recently because I accidentally deleted my old deck doing some desktop cleaning.. heh. Needless to say, my new deck isn't saved on the desktop.

Ah, I see your point about the grammar. But, I don't actually make up the sentences myself. I look them up with the words in dictionaries. (i.e.-- Goo Dictionary, Sanseido, InfoSeek, Kenkyusha's New Japanese-English Dictionary). I'll look up a word, take a few sentences from its entry so that there are multiple contexts. And, when there's a word in the example sentence that I don't know I look that one up. So on and so forth until I basically get to the point where I need to stop, or if I understand every example sentence in the circle. My goal is to get me ready for using Japanese only dictionaries. So knowing these "circles" of words that explain similar concepts, will assist me later.

I have three Anki decks. Kanji, Kana, and Sentences. 2,042 Kanji cards, 92 Kana cards, and 171 Sentence items so far. The sentences have about 300 unique Kanji present within it. I have a nasty habit of taking longer sentences for my cards, but I imagine that in the long run it'll do quite a bit of good for me, since Japanese sentences can get long.
Dec 11, 2008 11:53 AM

Sep 2008
I just want to throw this out too in this debate:

So, you are saying that 2042 kanji is not enough because Japanese people also use many other Kanjis. So wouldn't it be a good idea to study the 3007 kanji with both RTK1 and RTK3, for those who follows his method?
Dec 11, 2008 12:00 PM
Jul 2018
I'd say that anyone who's going to single out Heisig's method as an isolated study should study from all three books entirely. The book that teaches reads does teach multiple readings. (I don't know if it's all of them, but you do learn multiple ones).
Dec 11, 2008 12:54 PM

May 2008
sleepyday said:
I'd say that anyone who's going to single out Heisig's method as an isolated study should study from all three books entirely. The book that teaches reads does teach multiple readings. (I don't know if it's all of them, but you do learn multiple ones).

I would strongly recommend not learning the readings from Heisig though, definitely don't forget that the readings are just vocabulary and if you learn them just trying to remember them for the kanji, it will be a terrible pain remembering them, and you'll constantly forget them. Ideally you want to learn the readings that coincide with the vocabulary you've already learned, as it will be much faster and easier. The reason Japanese people study kanji in the way that they do where they thoroughly learn each kanji 1-by-1 is because they already have all the required vocab to make that process go well... it's bad to do that though if you don't have the vocabulary yet though because it will be so much harder to remember. Especially the on readings will get confusing because they're short and used in many different ways and many different kanji and if you don't know the context they're used in, they just get mixed up and forgotten.

I can understand learning the meanings and stroke order through Heisig even if I wouldn't do it, but the readings I would definitely skip if it's anything like how the characters are originally taught.
Dec 11, 2008 1:55 PM
Jul 2018
hikky said:
sleepyday said:

I would strongly recommend not learning the readings from Heisig though, definitely don't forget that the readings are just vocabulary and if you learn them just trying to remember them for the kanji, it will be a terrible pain remembering them, and you'll constantly forget them. Ideally you want to learn the readings that coincide with the vocabulary you've already learned, as it will be much faster and easier. The reason Japanese people study kanji in the way that they do where they thoroughly learn each kanji 1-by-1 is because they already have all the required vocab to make that process go well... it's bad to do that though if you don't have the vocabulary yet though because it will be so much harder to remember. Especially the on readings will get confusing because they're short and used in many different ways and many different kanji and if you don't know the context they're used in, they just get mixed up and forgotten.

I can understand learning the meanings and stroke order through Heisig even if I wouldn't do it, but the readings I would definitely skip if it's anything like how the characters are originally taught.

Well, the way that the readings are taught is really quite different. I only read through the intro and looked trough some of the frames. Basically, you're given mnemonics (i.e. -- visual cues) that help you remember their readings. A flash card design is also included. I know that the on'yomi is what is taught in the bulk of the book, and you're given compounds (vocabulary) to remember them by as well. You'd just have to take a look at it. While I wouldn't do it myself, because I like the way I'm learning now, it wouldn't be a bad idea. Another small edge one can gain over other learners.
Dec 11, 2008 2:39 PM

Sep 2008
Hum.. I wasn't talking about the compounds and the readings in RTK2 here. I was trying to ask, for those using AJATT method that if we encounter a kanji that we don't know, should we add them in our SRS (Kanji deck) or we better finish RTK3 too?
Dec 11, 2008 10:19 PM
Jul 2018
While I feel that knowing the 3007 Kanji in the RTK set is important, because you'll need them eventually, I'd say that you're better off adding them as you go along. If you want Kanji heavy sentences, I hear the Japanese Wikipedia is full of Kanji fiends. Also, learning as you go along, you'll probably retain them better. You know how to learn the shapes of Kanji through mnemonics, so it's easy to remember them using that system. You know?
Dec 16, 2008 2:13 PM

Sep 2008
Should we add them in our SRS or just learn like that?
Dec 16, 2008 3:01 PM
Jul 2018
Here's what I'm proposing. I propose that, if you're doing Anki cards from Audio -> Text then you just learn each new Kanji to come across in the vocabulary you learn it in. This way you're likely to come across Kanji that are few and far between, so that you pick them up as you go through sentences. Still learn the Heisig Kanji in the first book, but from there, just learn them as you go along.
Dec 31, 2008 2:09 PM

Jun 2007
About the stroke order thing I mentioned it's true there's mistakes ( perhaps only a few?). I don't know how many but there were a couple that I came across as I went through that seemed suspicious (like I wrote a lot of kanj ( to improve my writing etc & I think stroke order is VERY important. ) i before trying heisig and I'm prety confident about stroke order so one I just came across today was for 1692

I saw the diagram and I just thoguht It's wrong... I know I'm right and I was.
stroke order

Maybe there's another edition after one I have which fixes it. But be suspicious? For any kanji book etc cause mistakes are bound to bethere. And check on that site or another site too. If you have suspiciouns. I think for kanji you have to reference more than one thing so you don't learn it wrong and then find out a long time later....
midori-Dec 31, 2008 2:20 PM

今はどんでん返しの時代ではない★너와 함께 했던 일상은
어느샌가 작은 영화속 풍경이되고 ☆
Dec 31, 2008 3:13 PM
Jul 2018
If you're using any edition below the 5th, then there are lots of stroke order mistakes. The 5th edition (the one I used) has the correct ones.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

» Melt, Kimi no Shiranai Monogatari - Japanese Lyrics with vocabulary translations

pdf4 - Feb 8, 2010

1 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 13, 8:15 AM

» It seems like this club is dead. Let's resurrect it!

Shiroguro - May 7, 2017

3 by patkarunungan »»
Apr 13, 2:04 AM

» Kanji- how do you prevent keep forgetting them?

Kisakii - Jul 24, 2017

3 by Zoushu »»
Nov 26, 2023 11:54 AM

» What does 介 "suke" mean in names?

SpectrumDT - May 26, 2018

0 by SpectrumDT »»
May 26, 2018 2:18 AM

» This group dead?

Kaiigoroshi - May 7, 2015

5 by arief- »»
May 11, 2016 5:34 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.