MyAnimeList.net

Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

What makes you decide to buy a manga rather than read it online or free?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Manga Discussion »» What makes you decide to buy a manga rather than read it online or free?

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
02-01-13, 9:28 PM

So far I've only really bought the ongoing manga of shows that I liked, but ended. Well, two of them. I didn't like the Berserk anime, but I really like the comic.

02-01-13, 9:30 PM

Whether there are stores or not around me.

I usually end up downloading manga.

02-01-13, 9:35 PM

I like to have all my books in hard copy form, be it manga or an actual novel. That way I can grab it head off somewhere and read it under a tree, at the beach or when I’m camping.

02-01-13, 10:05 PM

Easy, I end up reading a manga I like online and finish it. Soon I find out that it's available in bookstores and I want to collect it.

"If the king does not lead, how can he expect his subordinates to follow?" - Lelouch Vi Brittania

02-02-13, 2:43 PM

The volumes are much clearer and easier to read, some scans look like crap

02-02-13, 3:02 PM

If i really like a manga, i would buy the volumes instead of reading it online(Rosario Vampire) mainly because I like holding a print manga and reading than off my computer screen.

02-02-13, 3:21 PM

I don't read that much manga, but I prefer buying it, as it gives me a proper incentive to read it.
If I download it for free, then it just seems to sit there on my computer untouched for months.

02-02-13, 3:30 PM

I own all 107 volumes of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure... And it hasn't been released in english.

Apart from that, I only buy manga with breathtaking art, and fast paced story, so most shounen is cut out of that, despite the fact I'm a huge shounen junkie...

I'd say anything by Tsutomu Nihei is worth a buy

02-02-13, 4:51 PM

Because what's online is a small and often inferior sampling of a much bigger whole?

02-02-13, 5:37 PM

I'll usually get into a series by reading/completing it online, and then buying it after if I really enjoyed it. Like at the moment I'm collecting the FMA manga because I loved it so much, and I'm planning on buying Ouran as well.
It's harder for me to find and get into a new manga then it is with a new anime, and I would rather buy a series that I KNOW I'll love instead of just one that looks interesting. I live in Canada and a single volume can be as low as $15-ish. Which is pretty expensive to me. (´Д`)

02-02-13, 6:22 PM

If its been published in English then ill probably buy it. I do have some Japanese manga, but still.

02-03-13, 1:16 AM

there no manga stor in my country so my only option is amazon or download
99% of my manga is download
the only manga i buy is black jack books that i can't find to download
it cost me more to shiping thin buy them
i bay 200% of the price i don't think ill buy manga any time soon (DVD shiping far cheeper)

if there same app like Comixology for manga ill buy manga
2014 watch list
Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei // Tekkaman Blade // Monster
LOTGH // Phi Brain 1-2-3 // Sword Art Online
Hajime no Ippo // Horizon In The Middle of Nowhere
Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex 1+2+Ms
Bubblegum Crisis

i know my English so bad, but i try my best
it is my 2nd language after all

02-03-13, 2:06 AM

When the manga is released in english, Luckily, I'm near to a mall that has a section that sells manga.

02-03-13, 2:46 AM

generally, I buy everything that has been released in hard copy and even if I already read the scanlation, I would still buy it, just so I can put it in my shelf. :)

02-03-13, 9:23 AM

fckyeahanimes said:
generally, I buy everything that has been released in hard copy and even if I already read the scanlation, I would still buy it, just so I can put it in my shelf. :)

It's cool to see a lot of manga on your shelf. Also, great username by the way.

02-03-13, 9:28 AM

I buy all the manga that I read, light novels too. I read it all in Japanese as well.

Buying supports the authors. Reading for free is extremely disrespectful. I don't see how you can claim to be a fan when you do not support them. Buy it and support them even if you need to read translations because much is not licensed, sadly. Give them all the sales they deserve!!!!
The News Club: Quality News and discussion (BD/DVD, CDs, manga, novels, games), and sales data (daily, weekly, half-yearly, yearly).

02-03-13, 9:41 AM

Well, I always bought some hardcopy of manga that I though was good when I read the scanlation. I also take recommendation from friends since some manga doesn't have any or slow scanlation, like Natsu no Arashi.

I always prefer read book, reading manga in computer hurts my eyes sometimes. Especially novel, I can't sand reading novel on tablet like many people do nowadays, that's why I would never bought any e-book.

02-03-13, 2:17 PM

As hpulley said above, buying supports the Artist.
In my case it's a little more difficult, because I mostly read Doujinshi, the artists that make these are usually not very famous, but whenever I read something that I really enjoyed, I usually buy it, even though those are only available in Japanese.
And well I can't read Japanese, but still having the Doujinshi/Manga you enjoyed reading so much not only as some pictures on your laptop, is in my opinion worth spending a little more money.
Looking for Yuri?
Visit me on my new blog http://yurireviews.blogspot.com/

02-04-13, 3:33 PM

In the past, when I hadn't quite gotten into anime, I'd go to Chapters and flip through a bunch. If there was one I liked a lot I''d start buying them one by one (once finished reading I'd buy the next the next time I was at Chapters). Of course back then I was a horny, confused 13 yo and the only thing that caught my attention was nudity (of the female gender [yeah, not that kind of confused]) so I went for .hack// legend of the twilight, and Elemental Gelade. Then I realized how much more they cost compared to anime and my money hasn't touched manga since.

The ones I didn't buy were endless ones like the big three (though I only actually read Naruto) or ones that weren't available in Canada yet.

02-04-13, 6:11 PM

I like having physical books. That said, I'll often rent from the library first, best of both worlds, I get a physical copy to check out for free!

I generally only read things online with no license (or that didn't come out completely in English, like Immortal Rain). I dislike having the scroll up and down the page, I don't have a dedicated reader or a tablet, so a physical copy is best for me.

Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices