Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 17, 2013 1:03 PM

Jan 2013
megucas said:

That's the beauty of forums though is to talk about why a show is good - or in my case, crap. If no one were to ever post when a show was bad and only post good things about every show, what kind of circlejerk environment do you imagine would become of this place? It's important to be able to criticize something - everything - if you can't criticize it you're completely ignoring other's opinions. Sounds like some great censorship style logic though - good job.

"I hate this show". Criticism.... that's how it works.
Jan 17, 2013 1:04 PM

May 2010
Saito6689 said:
RMNDolphy said:
Generic romantic comedy mixed mixed with some hackneyed drama = Unoriginal, boring...

But fuck it, throw some ESP and some of the most cloying melodrama I've ever seen = Original! Groundbreaking! Masterpiece!

Oh, MAL. You so moe. Keep it up, sport!

Comes from someone who has Sword Art Online dropped at 25/25 and Spice and Wolf scored with 6.
No words for so much stupidity. D:

u rated that second rate plot blackhole 10/10 . back to the the corner and shame on you!

i have no words for your stupidity anymore!
Jan 17, 2013 1:05 PM
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
parfaited said:
Wordsmith said:
parfaited said:

Wordsmith said:
PS: I hope they show some of Manabe's Yuri-thoughts =)

yes let's do this and turn it into another dime-a-dozen shitty heavy fanservice geared shows

Your rage sustains me!

It's not rage tho, just throwing the truth out there!

ROTFLMAO.

Opinion noted.

Dec 2012
One anime I'm looking forward to watching, there aren't much animes like this... gj Manabe!
"Only one with the courage
to shoulder the burden
of their own fate can
be called a hero.."

Aug 2012
kevinZ said:

I've already posted exactly what problems I have with this show. I trusted you were not so lazy as to not look at all, but it seems I was mistaken.
Jan 17, 2013 1:07 PM

Mar 2011
megucas said:
RMNDolphy said:
This is a discussion thread. Not a Kotoura-san circle jerk thread.

Be sure to note this important point folks. Many seem to forget it.

SCREW YOU AND YOUR DIFFERENT OPINION!!
Jan 17, 2013 1:09 PM
Aug 2012
InfiniteRyvius said:

SCREW YOU AND YOUR DIFFERENT OPINION!!

。:゚(。ノω\。)゚・。
Jan 17, 2013 1:10 PM
Mar 2008
It has its flaws, but I still find it enjoyable.
There's not much to see this season anyway.
Jan 17, 2013 1:11 PM

Jan 2013
megucas said:
kevinZ said:

I've already posted exactly what problems I have with this show. I trusted you were not so lazy as to not look at all, but it seems I was mistaken.

My bad for reading and treating all your posts as if it were all hating and not criticizing the show at all.

Back to the topic. I LOVE THIS ANIME! haters gonna hate.
Jan 17, 2013 1:11 PM

Nov 2011
Everybody here does realize its possible to have a discussion on a show without it turning into a hatefest or a circle-jerk? Right?

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Jan 17, 2013 1:12 PM

Nov 2009
Giving SAO a 10 score is like fisting all haters from behind.
I'm ok with that.
Jan 17, 2013 1:13 PM

May 2011
RMNDolphy said:
kenshin_sama said:
megucas said:
kenshin_sama said:
Your generic butthurt is worse. Keep bashing on popular anime as if it's not so mainstream.

This is what's wrong with not being able to accept the flaws of something. Complete blind fanboyism with a side of ad hominem.

And since when do people ever watch anything without bias? I could easily point out something wrong with every anime I've ever watched, but it doesn't keep me from enjoying it.

I understand that this anime tries to focus a lot on the dark aspects of others' lives and I know this has a lot of themes that you would see in just about any romance comedy, but that doesn't mean it should be labeled as something that doesn't deserve its praise. I can accept that others dislike it, but I hate it when they give a typical response that you would normally see from the average hater (it's especially bad if you're trying to call something else generic).

There's a big difference between something being wrong with your favorite anime and Kotoura-san's veritable mountain of faults. The problem isn't simply that it mixes comedy and melodrama. The problem is how ham-fisted the conflation ends up being in execution. The melodrama is so over the top and cloying that it's impossible to take seriously, and contrasted with the lusterless comedy, one can't help but feel the creators are being a bit disingenuous and manipulative. 'Generic' by itself isn't always necessarily a bad thing, although that is often the case; the problem arises when the audience can safely surmise just about everything that follows well in advance, mitigating the audience's potential immersion in the narrative greatly in the process. The comedy and drama employed here both fail to be engaging in any sense of the word.

And I do not see it as being any sort of major fault on my end. I agree, if you to look at it from a serious standpoint, it would not be that good. But, however, being the sentimental viewer that I am, I was really moved to tears seeing the story behind Kotoura's childhood being told and it was a great experience for me to partake in. How can this be so? Because I, unlike many other critics in the community, take great pleasure in enjoying my watch rather than being overly analytical on something that I dislike.

Now, I'm not saying your tastes are bad in any sense of the word, something like that would run completely against my logic, but to call out against the fanbase for enjoying something like this so much is incredibly hypocritical if you're to take into consideration the numerous anime series that fail to meet the expectations of many viewers. I could very easily argue against your favor for Nichijou as it is something that I did not find funny for the majority of the watch, but it is something that doesn't appeal to me and my bias towards it would be incredibly high.

Nov 2011
lpfManiak said:
kevinZ said:
megucas said:

That's the beauty of forums though is to talk about why a show is good - or in my case, crap. If no one were to ever post when a show was bad and only post good things about every show, what kind of circlejerk environment do you imagine would become of this place? It's important to be able to criticize something - everything - if you can't criticize it you're completely ignoring other's opinions. Sounds like some great censorship style logic though - good job.

The discussion the fans provide is often insipid. Infinitely less worthy of being read than thought-provoking remarks on the show, which at least, detractors try to provide. It's not like fans can't provide reasons they liked the show as well; they just don't. And they still think their contribution to the discussion has more worth than the 'haters' they're furiously attempting to discredit by attacking their integrity list ratings. Dear me.

Both are in the wrong.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
めんどくさい

Sep 2011
parfaited said:
Uh-oh Sword Art Online has been mentioned in this discussion.
Actually, I'm amazed this particular show is generating such exchanges.
Jan 17, 2013 1:14 PM

Mar 2011
rederoin said:
Everybody here does realize its possible to have a discussion on a show without it turning into a hatefest or a circle-jerk? Right?

LIES!

lpfManiak said:
kevinZ said:
megucas said:

The discussion the fans provide is often insipid. Infinitely less worthy of being read than thought-provoking remarks on the show, which at least, detractors try to provide. It's not like fans can't provide reasons they liked the show as well; they just don't. And they still think their contribution to the discussion has more worth than the 'haters' they're furiously attempting to discredit by attacking their integrity list ratings. Dear me.

It's because your opinion isn't theirs therefore it's wrong.

I had this problem in the first episode discussion. I said I didn't like the melodrama, backed it up, and got called a troll because of it. HuRR DURR.
Jan 17, 2013 1:17 PM
Aug 2010
InfiniteRyvius said:
lpfManiak said:

I had this problem in the first episode discussion. I said I didn't like the melodrama, backed it up, and got called a troll because of it. HuRR DURR.

Deleted my post---I no longer want any involvement with this discussion.

Jan 17, 2013 1:18 PM

May 2012
Way to go Manabe!
Jan 17, 2013 1:22 PM

May 2011
InfiniteRyvius said:
rederoin said:

LIES!

lpfManiak said:
kevinZ said:
megucas said:

I wouldn't call you a troll because of your opinion, but phrases such as "HuRR DURR" can very well put you in that category as it does invoke a certain amount of negative emotion from others.
Jan 17, 2013 1:28 PM

Feb 2012
megucas said:

Here's the thing, criticism is all well and good. I welcome it as well as opinions. HOWEVER, the guy I quoted that started this all is who I have problems with.

He's the type that hates nearly everything. Just look at his list and malgraph.

People can criticize and express their opinions all they want, however, if it comes from someone that expresses it sarcastically and essentially laughs at MAL for it, THAT's when it's just plain annoying.

If you want to criticize or voice negative opinions on something, go for it. Just don't laugh at others or be a smart ass about it.
Jan 17, 2013 1:28 PM

Aug 2010
Opinions lead to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to incredibly stupid forum posts.

That being said, I have seen very little actual viable critics in here. Just FYI, opinions =/= critics per se. What I DID see was an obnoxious amount of Butthurt, on all sides, and a flamewar that has to do with opinions and nothing to do with Kotoura.

So please everyone, be civil and try not to derail this thread into a personal vendetta against XYZ that would make the mods interfere.
I want Rambo in a mecha-suit with a laser-chainsaw gun that fires nuclear warheads, fighting the love-child of Predator, Alien, a group of Bangladeshi terrorists, and Satan. (Actually that would be a pretty sick show) - StopDropAndBowl
Jan 17, 2013 1:31 PM

Mar 2011
kenshin_sama said:

I wouldn't call you a troll because of your opinion, but phrases such as "HuRR DURR" can very well put you in that category as it does invoke a certain amount of negative emotion from others.

I was referring to the guy calling me a troll when I Hurt Durred.
Jan 17, 2013 1:34 PM

Mar 2012
kenshin_sama said:
RMNDolphy said:
kenshin_sama said:
megucas said:
kenshin_sama said:
Your generic butthurt is worse. Keep bashing on popular anime as if it's not so mainstream.

This is what's wrong with not being able to accept the flaws of something. Complete blind fanboyism with a side of ad hominem.

And since when do people ever watch anything without bias? I could easily point out something wrong with every anime I've ever watched, but it doesn't keep me from enjoying it.

I understand that this anime tries to focus a lot on the dark aspects of others' lives and I know this has a lot of themes that you would see in just about any romance comedy, but that doesn't mean it should be labeled as something that doesn't deserve its praise. I can accept that others dislike it, but I hate it when they give a typical response that you would normally see from the average hater (it's especially bad if you're trying to call something else generic).

There's a big difference between something being wrong with your favorite anime and Kotoura-san's veritable mountain of faults. The problem isn't simply that it mixes comedy and melodrama. The problem is how ham-fisted the conflation ends up being in execution. The melodrama is so over the top and cloying that it's impossible to take seriously, and contrasted with the lusterless comedy, one can't help but feel the creators are being a bit disingenuous and manipulative. 'Generic' by itself isn't always necessarily a bad thing, although that is often the case; the problem arises when the audience can safely surmise just about everything that follows well in advance, mitigating the audience's potential immersion in the narrative greatly in the process. The comedy and drama employed here both fail to be engaging in any sense of the word.

And I do not see it as being any sort of major fault on my end. I agree, if you to look at it from a serious standpoint, it would not be that good. But, however, being the sentimental viewer that I am, I was really moved to tears seeing the story behind Kotoura's childhood being told and it was a great experience for me to partake in. How can this be so? Because I, unlike many other critics in the community, take great pleasure in enjoying my watch rather than being overly analytical on something that I dislike.

Now, I'm not saying your tastes are bad in any sense of the word, something like that would run completely against my logic, but to call out against the fanbase for enjoying something like this so much is incredibly hypocritical if you're to take into consideration the numerous anime series that fail to meet the expectations of many viewers. I could very easily argue against your favor for Nichijou as it is something that I did not find funny for the majority of the watch, but it is something that doesn't appeal to me and my bias towards it would be incredibly high.

I agree that comedy is more subjective than most things, so it may be best to leave them out of the discussion.

However, drama and good writing are certainly less so. I'm not saying people are wrong to buy into Kotoura's-san overbearing melodrama, I'm saying said melodrama is simply a symptom of bad writing. People are free to like what they like. For instance, I genuinely enjoy Saki, despite it having objectively terrible writing, but I also don't go on the forum and beg detractors to like Saki just because I like it. Subjectivity like that doesn't lead to interesting discussion. It can only lead to "I like this" - "I don't" - "you's a dummy troll face"...

If someone could come up with a well-written, well substantiated post about what Kotoura-san does well, that would be great. But so far, the only well-substantiated posts have been by detractors. Hence the somewhat one-sided conversation here.
NotDolphyJan 17, 2013 1:40 PM
Jan 17, 2013 1:35 PM

Nov 2009
top anime of winter season/10
Jan 17, 2013 1:36 PM

May 2007
Episode 02 was great, it had the emotional rollercoaster as well as the fantastic comedy present and I didn't think Manabe would confront Hiyori like that. You know from the OP animation that Hiyori and Kotoura patch up things eventually. Anyways, Hiyori being jealous was great, I mean I didn't like what she did to Kotoura, in fact I wanted someone to slap her there and then but her being confronted and shouted at whilst saying he has feelings for another girl by the one she loves, must have really stung. In the preview, you see her practising in her dojo and making up a sweat.....I know she will patch things with Kotoura but I'm wondering how. I mean she knew what she was doing to Kotoura, I guess she didn't expect the repercussions and I wonder if Kotoura will try and help Hiyori confess to Manabe or would it go straight to "We are love rivals" mode. If it's a case of the latter, Kotoura will win hands down but if it's the former, then maybe Hiyori has a chance but I don't see Manabe going for her unfortunately. I know Kotoura is a "tragic" character but I see characters like Hiyori who are set up to lose from the get-go despite being in love with the main character for a very long time.....I personally find those characters "tragic" if no one else is out there for them in the boundaries of their anime world.

Man, I gotta wait for another week, currently this and Chihayafuru S2 are the only shows I'm following at the moment and up-to-date with, I'll be sure to pick up more series next week.
Jan 17, 2013 1:36 PM

Aug 2012
Well I had some problems with it in the first episode(the way Haruka read people on the first day at her new school, I thought she would have learned by that point to just not say anything or just tell the person what they wanna hear) but I'm really enjoying this nonetheless. I feel like other than what I mentioned, they are taking a rather realistic approach to the situation, and that is bound to breed drama. So the dramatic backtones shouldn't really come as a surprise.

Oh, and Manabe's a boss.
Jan 17, 2013 1:38 PM

Nov 2012
I'm really liking this, I want more

“Fools who don’t respect the past are likely to repeat it.” – Nico Robin
Jan 17, 2013 1:39 PM

Feb 2012
RMNDolphy said:

I agree that comedy is more subjective than most things, so it may be best to leave them out of the discussion.

However, drama and good writing are certainly less so. I'm not saying people are wrong to buy into Kotoura's-san overbearing melodrama, I'm saying said melodrama is simply a symptom of bad writing. People are free to like what they like. For instance, I genuinely enjoy Saki, despite it having terrible writing, but I also don't go on the forum and beg detractors to like Saki just because I like it. Subjectivity like that doesn't lead to interesting discussion. It can only lead to "I like this" - "I don't" - "you's a dummy troll face"...

If someone could come up with a well-written, well substantiated post about what Kotoura-san does well, that would be great. But so far, the only well-substantiated posts have been by detractors. Hence the somewhat one-sided conversation here.
I find this post amusing considering the tone of your first post in this thread.
Jan 17, 2013 1:42 PM

Jul 2012
Lol!

megucas:I hate this show.
Everybody else: Dude, what the hell?
megucas:OMG EVERYBODY'S GANGING UP ON ME WHAT IS THIS A CIRCLEJERK I THOUGHT WE WERE HAVING A DISCUSSION
Jan 17, 2013 1:43 PM

May 2010
MagicFlier said:

definetly one of the top 5 for me sofar ;)
Jan 17, 2013 1:44 PM

Mar 2012
Yvese said:
RMNDolphy said:

However, drama and good writing are certainly less so. I'm not saying people are wrong to buy into Kotoura's-san overbearing melodrama, I'm saying said melodrama is simply a symptom of bad writing. People are free to like what they like. For instance, I genuinely enjoy Saki, despite it having terrible writing, but I also don't go on the forum and beg detractors to like Saki just because I like it. Subjectivity like that doesn't lead to interesting discussion. It can only lead to "I like this" - "I don't" - "you's a dummy troll face"...

I find this post amusing considering the tone of your first post in this thread.

My first post may have been a bit glib and flippant, but it was infinitely more substantial than the "This made cry me, luv sho" quality of the majority of this thread. It dissected the logic you fellers are employing in calling this show "original" quite succinctly, if I do say so myself...

/gloat
Jan 17, 2013 1:49 PM

May 2011
RMNDolphy said:
kenshin_sama said:
RMNDolphy said:
kenshin_sama said:
megucas said:
kenshin_sama said:

And I won't argue against the fact that it wasn't very well written. If one were to look at it from a logical standpoint, it would be very evident that it could have been done better. But if you view it subjectively without taking that into consideration, you would see that the anime was actually very well executed and is the main reason as to why it is so popular. But that's the thing though, if you're too caught up in the small details, you would completely miss out on the how well the execution was done (which is most likely why you would come to the conclusion that it is poorly executed). I have watched many dramas to know how bad execution can get and Kotoura-san does not fit in that category. If it did, I would never have considered it to be the saddest anime to recently air. Hell, I've even seen worse execution in a Key anime adaption. What this anime does to really push itself ahead of the competition is the setting of the lead heroine and an excellent use of soundtrack. I would be incredibly moved to tears seeing anyone lose their mother like that and having the daughter beg her mother to stay while there's an incredibly emotional soundtrack running in the background, that was easily enough to move me to tears in ways that many other anime can't achieve.

Viewing drama in this anime can be just as subjective as viewing comedy (or any other genre for that matter). What matters is that there is a reason that many people love the drama in this anime.
Jan 17, 2013 1:52 PM

Nov 2009
Kerozinn said:
MagicFlier said:

definetly one of the top 5 for me sofar ;)

I'm glad someone agrees XD So far at least, we'll still need to wait for the 3rd-4th episode to pass our last judgement for the start of all the shows for this season

but it's looking really amazing so far, I love these type of animes with inconsistent genres, yet contain a consistent story or plot-device to keep it going
Jan 17, 2013 1:53 PM

Feb 2012
RMNDolphy said:

My first post may have been a bit glib and flippant, but it was infinitely more substantial than the "This made cry me, luv sho" quality of the majority of this thread. It dissected the logic you fellers are employing in calling this show "original" quite succinctly, if I do say so myself...

/gloat
Right. A post that essentially insults/mocks not only the show, but viewers that like the show, is more substantial.

I'm sorry, but allow me to use your sig in this situation:

Jan 17, 2013 1:54 PM

May 2011
Yvese said:
RMNDolphy said:

/gloat
Right. A post that essentially insults not only the show, but viewers that like the show, is more substantial.

I'm sorry, but allow me to use your sig in this situation:

Try this one. It uses one of his favorite anime!
Jan 17, 2013 1:56 PM

Nov 2011
Turning out to be really good so far. It keeps me laughing with all the 'DIRTY FANTASTIESSS YARRGGHHH' then it has its really serious dramatic and even somewhat dark side too. Hope it keeps up this good pace the whole way through.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jan 17, 2013 1:57 PM

Jul 2012
RMNDolphy said:

/gloat

Lol did you just honestly try to qualify post by saying, "I'm allowed to say it this way, because I'm better than all of you"
Jan 17, 2013 2:00 PM

Feb 2012
kenshin_sama said:

Try this one. It uses one of his favorite anime!
Oh my. I'll be saving that for sure. Thanks for sharing it lol.
Jan 17, 2013 2:01 PM

Mar 2012
kenshin_sama said:
I would be incredibly moved to tears seeing anyone lose their mother like that and having the daughter beg her mother to stay while there's an incredibly emotional soundtrack running in the background, that was easily enough to move me to tears in ways that many other anime can't achieve.

But that's incredibly manipulative writing that completely ignores logic as a shortcut to the audience's vulnerable, unassuming heart-strings. I can only stretch my suspension of disbelief so far before I'm forced to question why Kotoura-san feels the overwhelming desire to parrot everyone's inner thoughts back to them despite being fully aware of the trouble it's caused her. She even does it after going to a new school! So when a pseudo-dramatic moment, like the mother pushing her daughter down, is built on such shaky foundation, it becomes impossible to take seriously. And this is coming from a guy who cries way too easily at these here cartoons. You buying into that drama doesn't make you wrong, but it certainly doesn't make the writing OR execution good.

plushkin said:

Lol did you just honestly try to qualify post by saying, "I'm allowed to say it this way, because I'm better than all of you"

The tone was intended to be a joke, hence the "/gloat", but no. I didn't say anything remotely similar to that.
Jan 17, 2013 2:10 PM

May 2009
RMNDolphy said:

However, drama and good writing are certainly less so. I'm not saying people are wrong to buy into Kotoura's-san overbearing melodrama, I'm saying said melodrama is simply a symptom of bad writing. People are free to like what they like. For instance, I genuinely enjoy Saki, despite it having objectively terrible writing, but I also don't go on the forum and beg detractors to like Saki just because I like it. Subjectivity like that doesn't lead to interesting discussion. It can only lead to "I like this" - "I don't" - "you's a dummy troll face"...

You are elaborating it like it was "another 'masterpiece' from Kyoani or Shaft".
IT'S JUST 4KOMA adaptation.
Jan 17, 2013 2:11 PM

Apr 2012
Wordsmith said:
Opinions lead to anger, anger leads to hate, and hate leads to incredibly stupid forum posts.

That being said, I have seen very little actual viable critics in here. Just FYI, opinions =/= critics per se. What I DID see was an obnoxious amount of Butthurt, on all sides, and a flamewar that has to do with opinions and nothing to do with Kotoura.

That's probably the most intelligent post I've read in this whole Thread so far. *givesyouacookie*
But I guess what you see here is just a natural part of MAL as sad as it sounds.

However, btt.
Somewhat less good than the first ep (how couldn't it?) but still very enjoyable.
Manabe acted pretty cool on behalf of Kotoura-san. But his peverted thoughts shouldn't get out of hand. Otherwise he gets annoying (like the usual perverted overly cliched guy).
Favourite anime of this season for sure despite its flaws. :P
Jan 17, 2013 2:14 PM

May 2011
RMNDolphy said:
kenshin_sama said:
I would be incredibly moved to tears seeing anyone lose their mother like that and having the daughter beg her mother to stay while there's an incredibly emotional soundtrack running in the background, that was easily enough to move me to tears in ways that many other anime can't achieve.

But that's incredibly manipulative writing that completely ignores logic as a shortcut to the audience's vulnerable, unassuming heart-strings. I can only stretch my suspension of disbelief so far before I'm forced to question why Kotoura-san feels the overwhelming desire to parrot everyone's inner thoughts back to them despite being fully aware of the trouble it's caused her. She even does it after going to a new school! So when a pseudo-dramatic moment, like the mother pushing her daughter down, is built on such shaky foundation, it becomes impossible to take seriously. And this is coming from a guy who cries way too easily at these here cartoons. You buying into that drama doesn't make you wrong, but it certainly doesn't make the writing OR execution good.

That's fine. My goal isn't to put down your reason for not liking this show, it is to provide viable backup to why I like it.
Jan 17, 2013 2:16 PM
May 2009
I'm amazed at how quickly the Topics on MAL turn into Wars. What are you people, 4 years old?

Seriously both sides are at fault here, stop criticizing each other! It's starting to feel like US politics.

When you have a discussion about a subject drop the guns and discuss! Where in this food fight do you see any attempt to understand the other side? The nature of talking about something is to compromise, see the other point of few, and come to an agreement.

Now stop throwing crap at each other and lets have a mature discussion here.

Just to get it out there, I like this Anime and I am enjoying it very much. I'm mature enough to see that it has flaws, but so does every single Movie, Show, Book, Game, Song, Theory, and Scientific Law in existence! That's why we discuss things! I'm excited to see how the story finds it's balance between the comedy, drama, and romance.

And just to point something out about the Genres:
Romance=Love Relations Explored(Kotoura,Moritani,Manabe - check)
Comedy=Jokes Performed thoughout(Manabe - check)
School=Takes place in a School and in school life(check)
Drama=Explores the more complicated aspects of relations and conflict, also refers to how something is neither strictly a comedy or strictly a tragedy(check and check)

Everybody happy?
Jan 17, 2013 2:17 PM

May 2011
5/5 would rewatch. Wait, I already did. Oh well.
I definitely have superpowers. I can feel it in my balls.
Jan 17, 2013 2:20 PM

Jul 2012
RMNDolphy said:

plushkin said:

The tone was intended to be a joke, hence the "/gloat", but no. I didn't say anything remotely similar to that.

lol except the part where you said "nobody's comments are as in depth as mine, and any that have tried have been cut down to size by me"
in any case, i thought you said the comment was intended as a joke, so why are you defending a gloat? I'm having a good laugh =)
Jan 17, 2013 2:25 PM

May 2011
nantuko said:
Wordsmith said:

That's probably the most intelligent post I've read in this whole Thread so far. *givesyouacookie*
But I guess what you see here is just a natural part of MAL as sad as it sounds.

Why does it have to be just MAL? I'd say shit like this happens in most areas of the anime community.

japzone said:
I'm amazed at how quickly the Topics on MAL turn into Wars. What are you people, 4 years old?

Seriously both sides are at fault here, stop criticizing each other! It's starting to feel like US politics.

When you have a discussion about a subject drop the guns and discuss! Where in this food fight do you see any attempt to understand the other side? The nature of talking about something is to compromise, see the other point of few, and come to an agreement.

Just to get it out there, I like this Anime and I am enjoying it very much. I'm mature enough to see that it has flaws, but so does every single Movie, Show, Book, Game, Song, Theory, and Scientific Law in existence! That's why we discuss things! I'm excited to see how the story finds it's balance between the comedy, drama, and romance.

And just to point something out about the Genres:
Romance=Love Relations Explored(Kotoura,Moritani,Manabe - check)
Comedy=Jokes Performed thoughout(Manabe - check)
School=Takes place in a School and in school life(check)
Drama=Explores the more complicated aspects of relations and conflict, also refers to how something is neither strictly a comedy or strictly a tragedy(check and check)

Everybody happy?

Why do you think we are arguing over our preferences rather than debating on the anime? Because we are arguing over the subjective viewing of this anime and it would be pointless to debate over the actual faults.
Jan 17, 2013 2:25 PM

Mar 2012
plushkin said:
RMNDolphy said:

plushkin said:

lol except the part where you said "nobody's comments are as in depth as mine, and any that have tried have been cut down to size by me"
in any case, i thought you said the comment was intended as a joke, so why are you defending a gloat? I'm having a good laugh =)

I admit, the tone of my first post may have been a mistake. That type of humor doesn't work well on the internet and invites people to argue with the tone I employed rather than the points I have made, but I assure you any arrogance on my part was meant in jest.

I do, however, uphold that there's been a disappointing lack of insightful counterpoints to the detractors (not just myself). Could you point me to a well-written positive appraisal on this show then? Or better yet, write one yourself.
NotDolphyJan 17, 2013 2:30 PM
Jan 17, 2013 2:26 PM

Jul 2012
japzone said:

LOL! Everybody in here are children! I'm an adult! I'm mature!
lol sorry for being immature. I just find it funny you mention US politics, where the first thing they say is "can we act like adults now and have a mature conversation?"
the joke being the preconceived notion that everyone before you are already children and not mature enough until you graced us with your presence.
Jan 17, 2013 2:28 PM

Mar 2011
I'd say they could have made the second episode better than this. There are scenes that were kinda off and rushed. Second episode was not as good as first but it still managed to reach the high expectation bar that the first episode set. I actually thought it will become more love comedy on episode 2 onwards. More awesome episodes to come!

Is it safe to say that this is the best series this season?
Jan 17, 2013 2:32 PM

May 2011
RMNDolphy said:
I do, however, uphold that there's been a disappointing lack of insightful counterpoints to the detractors (not just myself). Could you point me to a well-written positive appraisal on this show then? Or better yet, write one yourself.

kenshin_sama said:
What this anime does to really push itself ahead of the competition is the setting of the lead heroine and an excellent use of soundtrack. I would be incredibly moved to tears seeing anyone lose their mother like that and having the daughter beg her mother to stay while there's an incredibly emotional soundtrack running in the background, that was easily enough to move me to tears in ways that many other anime can't achieve.
Jan 17, 2013 2:39 PM

Oct 2010
This anime is the best this season. (Excluding sequels) With GJ-Bu being the second. This anime is of its own kind and I'm loving it!!! The art style isn't even that great and it's going well. Can't wait for next episode.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Feb 7, 2013

172 by _untitled »»
Apr 8, 7:55 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 31, 2013

210 by _untitled »»
Mar 25, 9:06 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 28, 2013

272 by SereniTeaHive »»
Mar 22, 4:59 PM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 24, 2013

196 by SereniTeaHive »»
Mar 22, 5:56 AM

Poll: » Kotoura-san Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

GotenSakurauchi - Jan 10, 2013

456 by _untitled »»
Mar 4, 8:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.