Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Jan 11, 2013 6:03 PM

Jun 2010
Series Is Back . Love the First season and its awesome seeing how determine Chihaya is . Welcome Back
Jan 11, 2013 6:13 PM

Nov 2008
Taichi!Taichi!!Taichi!!!!!!!!

I didn't realize how much I missed him until I saw him again. I have a huge smile on my face right now. Anyways the first episode was definitely good, and Sumire was entertaining to watch, but she can't have Taichi, cause he belongs with Chihaya. Also, I really hope he gets Class A in this season, and that Chihaya finally opens her eyes and realizes how much he cares for her.
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Jan 11, 2013 6:25 PM

Jul 2009
damn the oblivious, super naive bijin is back.
how i miss this show.

and honestly, i dont mind the new girl's reason for joining being 'shallow'. as long as it gets you off your ass and you actually do something with your life; a reason is a reason!

e.g. i respect people who start working out for the sole reason of hopefully attracting more women. cause honestly, it sure beats the hell out of people who do nothing and never go out to better themselves or strive for things they want. so go new girl!
KurogashiJan 11, 2013 6:32 PM
Jan 11, 2013 6:37 PM

Nov 2007
GarLogan78 said:
shanimebib said:

God I love Chihaya so much! The anime is supposed to be 2 cours but I am not sure how much material we have to get 24-25 long season!

There are like 19 volumes and counting of the manga, so I wouldn't worry about the amount of material.

Awesome! I hope they don't go away from the original content and keep up the good work! This has been one of the best anime of the last couple of years! I really find it shocking that so few actually watch this anime despite it being so good!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 11, 2013 6:49 PM

Jun 2007
Felt the same as ever, which is great.

However, the new girl is pretty ugly, which blows my mind. This art style doesn't really lend itself to "ugly" - even fat Queen was adorable, but I can't stand looking at this girl. Her personality is shit too and she feels like a character just forced in heavy handedly as an excuse for forced drama that's sure to appear. I know she's in the manga, so I'm not blaming the show, but oh well.

I still loved the episode, I'm just worried that she might degrade the quality of an otherwise outstanding series. And that's just one of the new characters we've met.

Otherwise, again, awesome episode and I'm glad it's back. It's one of my favorites shows, so I've been looking forward to it.
Jan 11, 2013 7:13 PM
Mar 2011
the part of anime i hate the most is back..... and that is waiting for the next episode.

i cant take this
"....i am the villain in this story"
Jan 11, 2013 7:31 PM

May 2011
A bit hard to watch at first with how much they care for Chihaya but also were missing out on what she valued. They know her passion but somehow don't seem to get that one of the key things about the game is the connection to others to her. So I'm glad she displayed her greed so they knew how deeply she cared about the people out there. :P

And ahh, you know, the most I see of Taichi the more I root for him. But they are all so wonderful.
Jan 11, 2013 7:49 PM

Nov 2007
Can I re-post just to say I LOVE CHIHAYA?!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jan 11, 2013 8:10 PM

Aug 2010
MY FAVORITE SHOW IS BACK!
I'm so happy T~T...

For some reason although I was super excited to see everyone again, I kind of didn't like this episode that much cause of that stupid first year girl? I know it's probably too early in the game to judge these new characters but I REALLY DON'T LIKE HER LOL. (Actually this pertains to all of the first year girls haha) I totally ship Arata x Chihaya but this girl makes me want to ship Taichi x Chihaya just so that she knows to BACK OFF T.T;;

I know they have to get new members and stuff but I kind of don't want them to just cause I loved the dynamic of the group last season. They were all in sync and on the same page ya' know? I have a hunch that everything will just sort itself out like last season and I'm gonna end up loving the new dynamic of the group as the season progresses, but as for right now I'm gonna be a stick in the mud xD

Nonetheless, I will NOT let these stupid first year girls ruin this season of Chihayafuru for me cause I'm just so friggin happy that this show got a second season (:
Jan 11, 2013 8:22 PM

Dec 2010
i'm so excited chihaya is back! the only series this season i've honestly been waiting for and it didn't disappoint..
Jan 11, 2013 8:27 PM

Feb 2011
It was like reuniting with a close, old friend. <3
Managing Editor of Population GO -- a place for geeks and otaku who have a passion for anime, comics, film, manga, video games, etc.

Jan 11, 2013 8:43 PM

Jan 2008
Great first episode. I forgot how much I love Chihayafuru. :D So glad it's back for another season.

I already knew about Sumire from the manga but I still get pissed whenever I see her. I just hope Taichi doesn't end up falling for her once he realizes he has no chance with Chihaya and when he sees how serious she is about him. Such girls can win sometimes, so I wouldn't count her out yet. I also think that she could play an important role in making Chihaya realizes she has feelings for Taichi but who knows.

Call me delusional but I sometimes think that Kana might develop feelings for Taichi but of course I could be wrong and I hope I am.

Anyway, it is great to see the whole cast again.
Jan 11, 2013 9:12 PM

Jun 2011
<3 YES! I MISSED THIS SHOW SO MUCH! ^-^ I can't wait to see more!

Chihaya is brilliant as usual, I'm so happy that she hasn't changed much. ^_^ Taichi, still got that aloof, sexy air. 0_0 Hopefully there's a lot more of Arata this season, he's pretty much been left in the dark all this time.

EDIT: ....That Sumire girl annoys me. -_- Hopefully she'll have more... development as a character, because I really don't like her air.
SeerofWordsJan 11, 2013 9:16 PM
"Aiming for the mark takes precision, balance, and patience."

....Screw that, let's shoot the damn thing!
Jan 11, 2013 9:27 PM
Aug 2011
HatsumiShinogu said:
I already knew about Sumire from the manga but I still get pissed whenever I see her. I just hope Taichi doesn't end up falling for her once he realizes he has no chance with Chihaya and when he sees how serious she is about him. Such girls can win sometimes, so I wouldn't count her out yet.

Well that would suck...
I don't have the best first impression of her since it was basically "ermahgerd hottest guy in school must date him!!!"
Even if there's character development for her, her first sighting of Taichi was out of a rebound/selfish whim and that is annoying to me.
Jan 11, 2013 10:30 PM

Dec 2011
I love Chihaya! While she is clueless, that Taichi moment was great and I hope they get together soon.
While Sumire annoyed me, I'm excited for her to find out that Taichi likes Chihaya and I would like to see what kinds of player she can be. Hopefully she'll turn from being an idiot to a (kinda) down to earth girl.
And as for the guy character.
I'm happy to see a real first year candidate! :)
Jan 11, 2013 11:11 PM
Jul 2009
Can I just say that if Chihaya doesn't choose to be with Taichi in the end, I will be an absolute wreck? He loves her so much and always has, and he has always been there for her and that's what's most important. I just hope clueless Chihaya can see past her love of karuta and the person who taught it to her to see the man who has been loving and supporting her tirelessly for years.
Jan 11, 2013 11:29 PM

Aug 2010
Glad to see it's awesome as usual :D

Sumire "Never gonna be GF" zoned XD...
Ace Jakin was lol
I can't wait to see that freshman guy...he seems to be strong.
Madhouse is truly becoming one of my fav studios :)
Jan 11, 2013 11:39 PM

Jan 2013
Wooo! Those warm feelings from season1 was brought back!

New OP and ED was great.
For Sumire-chan (friendzoned so quickly xD).

Can't wait for some Arata x Chihaya moments!! <3
Jan 11, 2013 11:46 PM

Mar 2011
Chihayafull <3

I freaking almost cried when they had the flashback scenes, it was like rediscovering a warm memory.

5/5
Jan 11, 2013 11:47 PM
Jul 2018
Yes! been waiting for season 2 for half a year already. Best of season no doubt (excluding gintama)
Jan 11, 2013 11:51 PM

Dec 2011
hanano... waw!

i really forgot how much i hate that crappy little melody they beat us over the head with in the first season though.
Jan 11, 2013 11:58 PM
Mar 2011
eizeral said:
Can I just say that if Chihaya doesn't choose to be with Taichi in the end, I will be an absolute wreck? He loves her so much and always has, and he has always been there for her and that's what's most important. I just hope clueless Chihaya can see past her love of karuta and the person who taught it to her to see the man who has been loving and supporting her tirelessly for years.

hahaha so youre saying youre hoping Chihaya doesnt "friendzone" Taichi?
sorry i just find the thought so funny

it might happen, Arata will probably be re-introduced
Jan 12, 2013 12:01 AM

Jun 2007
eizeral said:

I'm going with it ending up with her picking neither. She loves Karuta, she's never had a romantic interest in either Taichi or Arata, and I doubt one will randomly pop up. It'd seem very out of character.

Also, loving someone doesn't mean the person you love should love you back. That's an extremely selfish and pretty fucked up way of thinking - "If I love you - YOU HAVE TO LOVE ME BACK". That's terrible. If you love and support someone only because you want that in return, you don't truly love the person. Taichi is so supportive and the way he is overall because he genuinely cares for her, he's not doing it to get 'credit' and some sort of +rep with her so she'll go out with him.
Jan 12, 2013 12:27 AM
Mar 2011
TallonKarrde23 said:
eizeral said:

I'm going with it ending up with her picking neither. She loves Karuta, she's never had a romantic interest in either Taichi or Arata, and I doubt one will randomly pop up. It'd seem very out of character.

Also, loving someone doesn't mean the person you love should love you back. That's an extremely selfish and pretty fucked up way of thinking - "If I love you - YOU HAVE TO LOVE ME BACK". That's terrible. If you love and support someone only because you want that in return, you don't truly love the person. Taichi is so supportive and the way he is overall because he genuinely cares for her, he's not doing it to get 'credit' and some sort of +rep with her so she'll go out with him.

great point.

she probably see Arata as the "Mt Everest" of Karuta that she has to climbed and beat.
she probably just want Taichi to be in the same level as her and Arata in Karuta.
she probably want all 3 of them (and her karuta club old and new members) to be the best karuta players there are and everyone to love karuta as much as her
Jan 12, 2013 12:57 AM
Sep 2011
So Chihayafuru is finally here. Rejoice anime world, for the best anime of the awful Winter 2013 season has finally started, and it is a site to behold. Animation still great, the new op great and there are more twists in store for us than the previous season. How can one not be happy for such a good anime?

4/5 for the episode, prediction 8/10 for this series.
Jan 12, 2013 1:03 AM

Nov 2012
it's backkkk !!! chihaya <3

Special thanks to Gabu for this amazing avatar & sig set!!
Jan 12, 2013 1:07 AM

Jun 2008
XDXDXD
Loved it to bits 5/5

Jan 12, 2013 1:14 AM

Jan 2011
Loved the first series and now that I had the chance to watch Chouyaku Hyakuninisshu: Uta Koi and get the background to the 100 poems I'm sure I'll love series two even more. I was really getting a good hate on for Sumire in this episode until she unexpectedly was moved by one of the poems--it made me feel that there was some hope for her after all.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Jan 12, 2013 2:54 AM
Dec 2012
It's spring and cherry blossoms are in bloom, but Chihaya and Arata took cards of fall-season poems. I wonder if it implies something sad happens to them in this 2nd season. Will keep watching.
Jan 12, 2013 3:04 AM

Nov 2012
Loved it, feel right at home, right where we left off.
Would've liked to see at least one person with previous karuta experience enter the school though.

Jan 12, 2013 3:48 AM

Jul 2010
I'm so happy the second season is finally here :)

It was a very cute episode, kinda sad that Chihaya realised that everyone was aiming for something else but she saved the epiode by saying that Taichi getting A Class is the most important thing now ^^

Sumire isn't a really likeable character in my eyes, I don't hate her or anything like that but Taichi belongs to Chihaya... but it would be nice if Sumire would push Chihaya into thinking about Taichi as love interest :) And of course I'm very curious what kind of role Arata will get in the 2nd season.
Jan 12, 2013 4:26 AM
Oct 2010
When those familiar piano notes started at around 1:18 I actually shed some tears, Chihayafuru is back.
I’ve been buying and reading the manga since a bit before season 1 ended and is up to date what will happen, but I’m really looking forward to see all that animated. It’s going to be some wonderful months ahead!

I also have a guess where this season will end.
Jan 12, 2013 4:46 AM

Dec 2011
Awww finally, Chihayafuru 2 is airing. I was waiting for it for soooo long.
I liked this episode. And Sumire didn't annoy me that much, I actually kinda like her.
Can't wait for the next ep.
Jan 12, 2013 4:56 AM

Oct 2009
So good to have it back! ^^

But I don't like the new girl, never like those love obsessed characters.
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Jan 12, 2013 4:56 AM

Jul 2011
Anyone had doubts this would be the best of the season?
Amazing return, great reintroduction and new great characters coming. A 9/10 as I rarely give for initial episodes.

Edit: and f**k yeah, 25 episodes!

"Like this too we met in a dirty and ugly world; Thank you for this miracle."
Jan 12, 2013 5:13 AM

Nov 2010
So happy to see this show again. I was really sad when first season ended, cuz I really had gotten used to watch it every week. Now another half year of karuta^^. Yay!

Glad to see Chihaya and Taiichi again, now we just need more romantic subplot.
Jan 12, 2013 5:20 AM

Oct 2009
Amazing, simply amazing! I love Chihaya!
Jan 12, 2013 5:22 AM
Nov 2011
I've not read the manga, but I'd hope they get more than just a single new member who's real goal is to land taichi.... but interesting developments so far for sure.
Be thankful for those you have near who are dear
For time is not always kind to those who would be on your mind
Seize the day, some exclaim, but that which is past, no more shall have its day.
Jan 12, 2013 5:30 AM

May 2010
The best anime of 2012 is backkkkk!!
Jan 12, 2013 6:29 AM

Sep 2011
I missed this show so much
Jan 12, 2013 7:17 AM

Jul 2009
Oh my GOD I MISSED THIS SHOW SO MUCH T_T AMAZING first episode! :D OP and ED are both really good and enjoyable :D
The new girl, Sumire ... ah, I like her actually! Yes she's a bit annoying but she's different than what we normally see. Trying to land Taichi huh ... a new "rival" for Chihaya perhaps?! :O Really awesome scene with her and Taichi at the end on the train, especially what Taichi said about choosing someone to devote himself to rather than being picked ... ah ♥
Anyway, so yeah, lots of girls and only one guy interested. Everyone has different priorities - good for Taichi for wanting to get to class A as well! Not sure Chihaya'd be the best person to teach the first years but she's got passion at least XD Greedy though ... wanting ALL of that? Wow, that's gonna be hard ;P
I can't wait for the next episode! Ahhh, it's gonna be sucky to have to wait another week ... D:
Jan 12, 2013 7:48 AM

Jan 2008
Chihayafuru never fails to make me happy! Cheers to a new season!
Jan 12, 2013 8:24 AM
Jun 2009
I didn't realise how much I missed Chihayafuru :D
Taichi <3 I like this new girl, she'll mess things up a bit.
Jan 12, 2013 9:05 AM

Jul 2012
First episode had the cast have sign up for new members to join the Karuta club and while there wasn't much playing going on, it was pretty enjoyable none the less. I'm actually glad that they just weren't like "Alright, we're all going to recruit and pressure pressure pressure", which you see commonly when there's a club in an anime. Everyone had their own priorities and it was pleasant as it felt more real to me, which fit well. Oh, and of course the show panders the Chihaya X Taichi relationship~

What I did not really care for was the new character introduced. Maybe it's just due to her shallow reasons for joining that bugged me and maybe she will actually become better with some development down the line, but as for now, she did not really leave an impact for me.
Jan 12, 2013 10:12 AM

Jul 2011
This show would be perfect if only Arata have had more time screen.

Otherwise im glad this show is back.

5/5
Jan 12, 2013 10:25 AM

Dec 2008
CHIHAYA~

I had forgotten just how awesome it feels to watch Chihayafuru and I'm glad we have a second season, and a 25-episode one at that! I'm happy with what I'm seeing so far.

It's a new school year - everyone's older and with a fresh new crop of students in the school, it's a clear opportunity for growth. As much as those first-years were annoying, especially Sumire, it adds an interesting dynamic to the karuta club. What surprised me most was how exclusive some of the karuta club members were, pretty much writing off all the first-years at first glance. I can't exactly blame them because they each have their own priorities that rest elsewhere besides training newbies, but my sympathies were with Chihaya this time, who only wants to spread her love of karuta and to ensure the karuta club keeps going even after she graduates. Karuta is already an exclusive game - its difficult nature ensures that only a few will actually end up playing it - so Nikuman further alienating the new club members makes it even worse.

And going back to Sumire, she is very much a shallow person but don't forget, she's also a young teenager just entering her first year of high school. Remember how when you were at the top grade of your elementary/middle school and you thought you were so cool, so mature...and then you got to high school and became the youngest in the school again? I can see that in her. Added to that, she just got dumped...on the first day of high school. That isn't easy to deal with, and she's rebounding. I've seen older and more mature people than her rebound just as badly. Does that excuse her awful behaviour and attitude? Nope. But we've seen glimpses of a deeper personality in her this episode and so I predict that we'll see plenty of character development in her as the series goes on. Since when did Chihayafuru let a character become static?

Speaking of static characters, it's also nice to see that the karuta club isn't static, either. Like I said, with new students in the mix, it adds a new layer to the story. It's very true that everyone has their own priorities and goals, and I'm glad that it was brought up now even though it's been present since earlier on. It's obvious that, at some point, each of them will grow apart in terms of where they want to go in karuta, if not in life, if they continue on, but I think a part of them wants to keep things the way they are (that is, having fun together as a club) because it's fun and easy. However, if they ever want to progress (i.e. Taichi making Class A, Chihaya becoming Queen, Kana becoming a karuta reader), they will ultimately end up down different paths. It'll be interesting to see what they'll do on top of the added dynamic of new club members to train.

Lastly, I'm interested in what that new male character is like.
AeternaJan 12, 2013 10:30 AM
Jan 12, 2013 10:48 AM

Apr 2009
Once again I am stunned by how wonderful this adaption is. And once again it seems like Chihayafuru will take up the top spot in the running anime season because of the superb writing.

Great start, 5/5.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Jan 12, 2013 11:30 AM

Nov 2011
I want to punch Sumire in the face ugggh she is gonna be so annoying. And come on Chiya! Focus on becoming queen!
Jan 12, 2013 12:47 PM
Dec 2008
Great episode, this season is gonna be great :)

But holy shit, everyone calling this the best of Winter 2013 already seems a little early xD
Jan 12, 2013 12:55 PM
Jan 2013
Whoa, so if the Kurata club doesn't recruit 5 new members, they get dissolve, eh.

Their club adviser plans to raise the club's budget by Y30,000, roughly around $120.00 ???????Pardon my math, I suck at it.

Oh, dear poor Sumire, looks like she's gonna be dumped again.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 12, 2013

138 by bassyey »»
Mar 16, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 31, 2013

160 by fathandz »»
Feb 17, 11:50 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 24, 2013

136 by fathandz »»
Feb 15, 4:12 PM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 19 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 17, 2013

181 by fathandz »»
Feb 11, 3:38 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru 2 Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 10, 2013

110 by fathandz »»
Feb 7, 9:16 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.