Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 4, 2013 8:50 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

Uh oh, looks like Saki might be running into some trouble here with some superiors. There is actually quite a lot of Saki this episode. Some of the artistic scenes that played during this episode was also interesting to watch imo.

I'm wondering what those machine like objects are floating on the water Looks interesting and strange ending.
Stark700Jan 4, 2013 8:55 AM
Jan 4, 2013 9:04 AM

Nov 2012
This episode really surprised me, was pretty good in overall.
Jan 4, 2013 12:11 PM

Jul 2010
"Sayonara"

Damn cliffhanger end. Well, another "Saki get bunch of information" episode.
Jan 4, 2013 2:53 PM

Mar 2009
Oh boy, Tomiko.
Jan 4, 2013 7:05 PM

Aug 2011
Holy fuck. They actually made the "lips moving but no sound" thing WORK. I've seen a billion of those in anime but they never actually tell you what the character said! Shit, that was brilliant.

I'm wondering why Maria and Mamoru decided to leave - especially since Saki told them to stay put. I guess maybe they were worried that Saki would spill the beans about their location? Or maybe Maria had ulterior motives, since she's the one that actually said "Goodbye." I tend to try and pick on facts that would antagonize Maria because of Saki saying that it'd be better if she weren't born. I'm guessing Maria or Mamoru become a demon and they both get killed off... Or worse, the demon goes on a slaughter before being found. Either way, Maria and Mamoru will both have to die because of something.

And I guess what we learned about Tomiko this episode resolves the "she doesn't look like a grandma" issue. It's cool because I just learned about the telomere caps shortening on chromosomes when cells go through mitosis in my Bio class.
Jan 4, 2013 7:32 PM

Dec 2010
Why do i get the feeling that Maria is going to something insane before she gets killed off, well anyway solid episode.
Jan 4, 2013 7:49 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Wow Saki really is strong. She was so calm during the interrogation and even though she knew she would've been disposed of if she kept talking about the cats. And telomeres. Wow. I never thought I would hear about that outside of AP Bio. A good biology lesson regarding DNA and the degradation of it. I had been suspicious of Tomiko before, because she definitely looked a little too young to be a grandmother...to think that she's 267 years old? HOW is she Satoru's grandmother? Interesting how they were already trying to raise a new leader by teaching Saki how to restore pottery, which apparently, is similar to the way you restore your telomere. Seemingly useless at first, restoring pottery is more powerful than the what the rest of the class was doing. Looking forward to the next episode as usual!
Jan 4, 2013 7:51 PM

Jun 2011
Just... why? What was Maria thinking when she decided to escape with that fearful of Mamoru? Glad to hear the reason behind grandma's youth. I would like to hear more about "our times", it's kinda interesting to me.
Jan 4, 2013 7:56 PM

Oct 2011
^ I think they just got scared. It is well-known how easily the elders can manipulate with people's heads, they were probably afraid that they would use that against Saki and Satoru and that they would let known Mamoru's and Maria's location. Maria said how she would stay with Mamoru, I'm sure she left with him to protect him. At least that is what I think.
---
Great episode, ugh I missed Shinsekai last week. It was so good to finally see what they were gonna do in this episode. I wasn't that surprised when Mamoru and Maria left. I didn't think it would be that easy for Saki and Satoru to just go back and be like, "Hey guise, let's head back home you'll be just fine after all!" If we have learned anything from SSY it's that it really doesn't give things out that easily without it later biting one of the character's in the ass. I kind of expected them not to be there. Maybe they got paranoid that they would be found and that the elders would somehow manipulate the information out of Saki or Satoru and that's why they had to leave.

I am SO happy they explained the Tomiko thing. It was the one topic all of us talked to and ranted on about in episode twelve (I think it was twelve). How young she looked to be a grandmother. And now we have an answer as to why. I found it really interesting how she has lived for so long by using such a perfect, scientific solution. I kinda thought her answer as to why she had lived so long would be a little more magical, but this one satisfied me even more than any other answer she could've given. Really well thought out.

And the fact that Tomiko is such a badass just made me like her even more. How she stood up against the Education Committee (and that lipsticked, stick-up-her-ass bitch that kept attacking Saki) and showed them who's the boss was really awesome. I mean, how much more badass can you get? She even keeps giant, monster cats in her house as pets. Now that is cool. And intimidating.

And the cliffhanger hurt my heart, so of course it was great. Really liked it.

OH! I forgot to add. My spidey senses tingled when I saw that next episode will fully focus on Saki and Satoru being alone. Together. Is there gonna be some Saki/Satoru moments next episode? I think maybe, possibly yes. /crosses fingers
myuunJan 4, 2013 8:10 PM
Jan 4, 2013 8:03 PM

Sep 2009
Wow, was not expecting Tomiko to be 200+ years old @___@; Using your force to restore your cells.. that's pretty epic~ The next episode looks really interesting =3
Jan 4, 2013 8:22 PM
Sep 2012
OtakuGirl01 said:
Wow, was not expecting Tomiko to be 200+ years old @___@; Using your force to restore your cells.. that's pretty epic~ The next episode looks really interesting =3
The force is strong in that one. LOL

Great episode. I'm glad that this show finally came back. 2 weeks is far too long not to see this show.

myuun said:
And the fact that Tomiko is such a badass just made me like her even more. How she stood up against the Education Committee (and that lipsticked, stick-up-her-ass bitch that kept attacking Saki) and showed them who's the boss was really awesome. I mean, how much more badass can you get? She even keeps giant, monster cats in her house as pets. Now that is cool. And intimidating.

And the cliffhanger hurt my heart, so of course it was great. Really liked it.

OH! I forgot to add. My spidey senses tingled when I saw that next episode will fully focus on Saki and Satoru being alone. Together. Is there gonna be some Saki/Satoru moments next episode? I think maybe, possibly yes. /crosses fingers
I have no idea WTF was up with that lipsticked, stick-up-her-ass bitch. PMS - may be. LOL

Looks like Saki and Satoru get some alone time again. May be this time we'll see something more than innuendo.
IconicJan 4, 2013 8:26 PM
Jan 4, 2013 8:34 PM

Jan 2012
Nice episode, I'm glad they gave an explanation for grandma Tomiko's hotness.

It's also depressing how we've gone from having protagonists to just two.

Repairing pottery is telomere restoring practice? They've been grooming Saki to be Tomiko's successor all along? Wonder why they've never paid much attention to her since her future position has so much power.

And you know what? I'm starting to like Saki. How she's all like, "fuck you" to those stingy bitches and didn't get punished for it. You go girl.
queenSwildJan 4, 2013 8:50 PM
Jan 4, 2013 9:41 PM

Dec 2011
I knew it'll all come down to this. Even Maria will be executed by breaking these so called "rules".

I didn't get what Tomiko meant when she said Saki got the last 2 digits right of her age... but she is 267 years old! Oh my God. And learned that telomere is a key to lengthening life. What a convenient skill indeed, recovering... more like regeneration of telomeres.

Saki always practicing with the pot... and Tomiko mentioning recovering telomeres is like melding back a broken pot... I didn't expect this to be such a foreshadowing! Following this route, I guess Saki will get her skill to recover telomeres and will be given a long life... and eventually become a leader like Tomiko in the future.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 4, 2013 9:51 PM

Dec 2012
Saki being boss and taking the interrogation like a cool headed pro.

I had the feeling the old lady was more than the eye can see, so she is somewhat immortal and now shes teaching Saki the same ability.

Nice to see that the rat from episode six whatever his name was will return next episode.

but that last quote
"trying to replace humans.'' All out war between rats and humans?
DarkjollyJan 4, 2013 9:55 PM
Jan 4, 2013 10:19 PM
Oct 2010
damn that interrogation was scary, fuck that
fuck this ep was win, they ran. expected that, proabbly wouldnt trust anyone myself after that ordeal. elder is 250+ years old and still bangable. holy crap
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Jan 4, 2013 11:29 PM

Nov 2012
Episode was bomb. This series is hands down my fav since the fall 2012 season.
Jan 5, 2013 12:16 AM

Aug 2012
Its getting real now. Saki, you tank!
Jan 5, 2013 12:29 AM

Jun 2012
Great episode and all..., but the ending was so epic!- the OST, then we get to hear her last word finally, and it closes out. I personally thought that was so cool and a great end to the episode.
5/5.

Jan 5, 2013 12:48 AM

Jul 2012
I had to rewatch the beginning. Maria does say something before Saki heads back but we don't get to hear it. Then that ending. That cliffhanger. I've got chills and then the preview for the next episode. This series just keeps getting better.
Jan 5, 2013 2:12 AM

Nov 2012
Just to ease your guys minds Maria does nothing

also interesting to know that the Committee leader is 26something years old
Jan 5, 2013 2:12 AM

Apr 2010
Really awesome episode. This series is so good. I am really hoping for some Saki/Satoru action.. Ever since they had their little moment. Love it~
Jan 5, 2013 2:46 AM

Sep 2012
Tomiko: guess what age I am
Saki-67
Tomiko: you got the last 2 digits right

my reaction- heh, wait- WHAAAATTT
Jan 5, 2013 4:03 AM
Nov 2012
Saki and Satoru alone again!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!
Jan 5, 2013 5:10 AM

Oct 2009
Awesome! Good start for the second half of the show!
Jan 5, 2013 6:02 AM

Aug 2008
kpk10 said:
Saki and Satoru alone again!

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!

This episode felt really long, but in a good way :)
Omg, what Satoru said in the preview... it's interesting!
Jan 5, 2013 7:08 AM

May 2010
Wow that granny has live for 267 years kinda unbelievable but I guess it's not much of surprise though !!
Jan 5, 2013 7:51 AM

Jan 2012
There was a time when Shin Sekai Yori was just one of my episodes I'd watch out of obligation rather than pure interest, but lately, the episodes have been getting so much more interesting than I would've ever expected. All of the tiny details that we saw throughout the series that we didn't put much thought into (e.g. Saki's fixing pot exercises, queerat that they saved a while back is introduced again and is seen saving Mamoru, etc). And now, with the "goodbye" at the end, I can't wait for the next episode! It's definitely one of my favorites of the fall season now and am anticipating the next episode so much. I'm so happy it's back though, because episode 13 ended in such a great way too. But this episode. This cliffhanger. Oh god, waiting a week would be painful, but I have a huge urge to go rewatch the past episodes now to see if I can pick up on other things that happened in the past.
tsukiko_prprJan 5, 2013 9:47 AM
Jan 5, 2013 8:40 AM

Feb 2012
It was nice,and a rather good cliffhanger in the end.
Jan 5, 2013 8:46 AM

Sep 2012
solid cap 5/5, how compromissory can be have a free will.
Jan 5, 2013 9:31 AM

Jan 2009
Amazing episode as always. Yay Squealer!!!
Jan 5, 2013 11:15 AM

Apr 2011
This episode was so fucking amazing. Dat ending was too epic "Sayonara".
When Saki went to the hearing that was intense shit.
I just can't wait until the next episode, I love this series so much its so underrated.
Jan 5, 2013 11:32 AM

Aug 2011
anisukidayo said:
All of the tiny details that we saw throughout the series that we didn't put much thought into (e.g. Saki's fixing pot exercises, queerat that they saved a while back is introduced again and is seen saving Mamoru, etc).

Totally agree. THAT is the beauty of Shinsekai yori - the use of foreshadowing. Man, it gives me chills.
Jan 5, 2013 11:35 AM

Jul 2012
"If Maria weren't born then an untold number of lives would have been saved." Well, here's the start to that. Great episode. The lips thing worked. Learn from this okay future productions?
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Jan 5, 2013 11:45 AM

Feb 2009
Entravity said:
"If Maria weren't born then an untold number of lives would have been saved." Well, here's the start to that. Great episode. The lips thing worked. Learn from this okay future productions?

I was about to post that quote myself. I wager that she'll become a fiend.

I just now caught up with this series, so I imagine others have predicted the same as me. I think she'll get pushed over the edge eventually, probably when the villages and queerats start coming after them.
Jan 5, 2013 12:05 PM

Nov 2012
Amazing episode! Love the pottery foreshadowing, and I bet the 67 guess is another foreshadow.

Glad Saki's got herself backed up with Tomiko-san but I wonder if this is just Tomiko-san setting herself up failure with the unfaltering trust she puts in Saki, who really doesn't seem as if she's going to take up the role as the leader and live in such a monotone, psychotic town.

Then again, Saki's personal feelings aren't known much. She doesn't smile much at Tomiko-san although we know she probably is grateful, she's fiercely loyal to her friends, yet she seems almost cool-headed all the time ever since Shun died. I'd like to see her improvise more, and her thought process when she comes to terms with something. I also don't see how Satoru and Saki depend on each other as a couple.

However, the next episode seems to be ready to answer all my questions since it finally has come to the point where the goblin rats may attempt rebellion. Looking forward to it :)
Jan 5, 2013 12:56 PM

Jul 2012
Another demon, incoming?
Jan 5, 2013 1:04 PM

Jan 2013
I've got to say, I was pretty stunned when they brought up cellular telomeres. Yeah, that's a huge part of human aging, the degradation of those telomeres over hundreds of cell cycles. Besides that though, the episode it self flowed like a river, everything was just a cascade of effects. We also got to see Saki develop a bit more as a character, as she pushes the boundaries set fourth by the board of education. This series...I don't know what it is about it, but that sense of mystery is just euphoria.
Jan 5, 2013 1:16 PM

Jan 2011
This show is directed so ridiculously well. The narrative actually makes you think and stay focused. Won't see another show like this for a while after it ends...
Jan 5, 2013 1:32 PM

Jan 2013
IZEROII said:
This show is directed so ridiculously well. The narrative actually makes you think and stay focused. Won't see another show like this for a while after it ends...

The show itself, not sure if you already knew, is based off the 2008 novel From The New World. Which if I recall correctly received an award or two...
Jan 5, 2013 1:45 PM

Dec 2009
IZEROII said:

I actually found this particular episode really bad when it comes to that, but that's probably just me.
I have my own anime blog. It's called Anime Viking. Hope you'll you read it!

Jan 5, 2013 2:07 PM

Oct 2007
My greatness regret is that I am watching this show while it is still airing.
My greatness joy is that I am watching this show right now.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Jan 5, 2013 3:41 PM

Nov 2008
I really liked it. Shinsekai Yori is definitely my favourite anime this season.

Actually regenerating telomeres wouldn't help much. You would die around normal age for many other reasons.

And why would Tomiko seek successor now? She probably have over 50 years of life ahead. Also I don't think there is a big chance to teach ability like that to Saki, if noone else can do it. I hope all this is not just a lie and she is raising her just to take her body. After Tomiko's body (which would age normally) become too old. That could be actually her ability. Nothing new, but still bad for Saki :).

edit: Speculating about something some people already know (from manga/novel). But it's fun anyway :D
Jan 5, 2013 4:07 PM

Jan 2012
This is rather brilliant.

That Board of Education is quite the ruthless committee.
Jan 5, 2013 4:25 PM

Aug 2011
oneoneleven said:
I fucking love this series.

I fucking love it too.
Jan 5, 2013 5:15 PM

May 2010
Damn all these adult are messed up, they act like a child life is nothing if its for the greater good of things, which is messed up. saki tell the truth and she gets bashed for it, and they say Human are the messed up ones, all this to protect them self shame less adults i tell ya.

also Damn Granny is old as hell 267 good god o mighty.
Jan 5, 2013 7:05 PM

Feb 2012
Tomiko is 267 years old, boy, did that surprise me but is she really Satoru's grandmother in that case?
Jan 5, 2013 9:49 PM

Nov 2011
Seems like everything has been set up so that Saki succeed Tomiko and live long just like her. Would be great if we can see the Force being use for mass destruction like an actual nuke .

Jan 5, 2013 10:29 PM
Sep 2012
In the future, there's being far dangerous than Nuclear Weapon... Human

In my mind : "Where's aleister when world need him?, this world seriously need academy city"

60-70 tousand people live in ENTIRE japanese. Where's those non PK-ers from slave empire? Aren't their rebelion succeds? Don't tell me they .....
Jan 5, 2013 11:19 PM

Mar 2012
267 years...wow.

Telomere restoration, huh. Never thought I'd hear about that outside of Bio. Thank you pre-med curriculum for teaching me about this stuff.
Telomere rant ahead:

But telomere restoration is an amazing power that essentially prevents one from dying of old age. While that causes one type of immortality, it cannot prevent death from external factors (ie disease, trauma). Still, glad to see this kind of power utilized in an anime. However, I get the feeling that Satoru's grandmother will die soon. It will either be here growing tired of life or her being killed by someone else.

At the same time, those last words at the end of the preview were pretty....daunting to say the least.
(Also known on other places as Hiss13)

All hail the adorable chess master!
Jan 6, 2013 12:21 AM

Feb 2012
Nice episode.

That preview... replace humans...
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 26, 2012

516 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 10:04 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

363 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.