Forum Settings
Forums

TV Anime of Adventure Game 'DanganRonpa' Announced

New
Dec 6, 2012 10:50 PM

Feb 2008
According to Newtype magazine, Spike's mystery adventure game "Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei" was announced to get a TV anime adaptation. It will be aired in 2013.

Danganronpa game official website

Director: Kishi Seiji
Series Composition: Uezu Makoto
Character Design: Morita Kazuaki
Production Studio: Lerche

Source: Newtype

Danganronpa: Kibou no Gakuen to Zetsubou no Koukousei - The Animation on MAL
NaruleachDec 16, 2012 8:59 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Dec 6, 2012 10:52 PM

May 2010
Sounds interesting!! :O
"Wait for the signal, and I'll meet you after dark"
Dec 6, 2012 10:53 PM

Jul 2011
Just reading the synopsis, this sounds very interesting.
Dec 6, 2012 10:53 PM

Nov 2012
That looks very interesting, I hope it will be worth the watch.
Having a favourite anime is something nice.
Dec 6, 2012 10:57 PM

Sep 2010
Synopsis piqued my interests. Will try it out.
"What has two arms, two legs, and is alive? Not your favorite character lol! xD"
Dec 6, 2012 10:58 PM
Sep 2012
Sounds interesting. Will try it out.
Dec 6, 2012 11:24 PM

Jul 2012
Uh, given the news update directly after this one, it would imply Kishi Seiji is directing two animes that air at the same time (spring 2013). Isn't that unusual? Well, can never have too much Seiji.
Dec 6, 2012 11:24 PM

Nov 2008
Like everyone else so far has said, the synopsis sounds promising, but Seiji Kishi's presence alone warrants trepidation. He has made a name for himself for his comedic style and quirkiness; any time he strayed from that or had to do something a little more serious only resulted in failure, in my opinion (Persona 4, Kamisama Dolls).
Dec 6, 2012 11:42 PM

Feb 2012
What the... synopsis is really interesting :D
Wonder how many chapters are out... it was published on 2011.
Dec 6, 2012 11:48 PM

Jun 2011
YES YES YES YES YES.

I wonder if they will animate Super Dangan Ronpa 2 if this one has good sales?
Onigiri-sanDec 7, 2012 12:02 AM
Dec 6, 2012 11:58 PM
Sep 2012
TOCADAE said:
Uh, given the news update directly after this one, it would imply Kishi Seiji is directing two animes that air at the same time (spring 2013). Isn't that unusual? Well, can never have too much Seiji.

A typo maybe? I'm too lazy to click on the link. I'd rather have all shows in a season to be directed by him than none at all.
bippoDec 7, 2012 12:03 AM
Dec 7, 2012 12:02 AM

Nov 2011
Dec 7, 2012 12:05 AM

Sep 2012
Definitely a very interesting plot synopsis, will be checking it out for sure.
Dec 7, 2012 12:10 AM
Aug 2011
" The school is presided over by a bear called Monokuma..."

Say no more, i'm in.
Dec 7, 2012 12:15 AM

Jun 2008
I enjoyed the game, so definitely I'll check this out.
Dec 7, 2012 12:30 AM
Jul 2008
Weird that this is getting an adaptation when the VN is so close of being fully translated (it's actually already translated and undergoing editing). I'm interested but I'm thinking this is probably a lot better in VN format since it allows way more precission and density in the information, which in this case should add some depth to the setting, making it more intriguing.
Dec 7, 2012 12:32 AM

Mar 2011
action, horror, psycological?

yeah, sounds interesting.

Dec 7, 2012 12:43 AM

Oct 2011
The director did some impressive titles already, it will be interesting to see how this will play out.
Dec 7, 2012 3:39 AM

Nov 2007
That took me off-guard, I absolutely love the game! They better keep the VAs and the soundtrack.
I Wonder if they'll keep the pink blood though...
Dec 7, 2012 3:47 AM

Sep 2011
My favorite VN of all time is getting a anime, fuck yes.

Warning people this is very easy to spoil as its almost entirely made of twists after the halfway mark, so I urge you to try not to look up ANYTHING regarding this. Seriously dont do it im not kidding you are not going to want to get this spoiled if they follow the VN well.

Oh man this will be awesome looking up people's guesses at what will happen in the episode discussions while knowing all the answers, i just hope the pacing is done well on this, it cant be any less than 26 episodes and i feel 30 might be a better choice

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 7, 2012 4:03 AM

May 2010
Synopsis sound pretty nice, and those genres... Horror, thriller <3
Dec 7, 2012 4:12 AM
Mar 2010
Ok, after Psycho Pass, I'm willing to give things like this a shot....I'm in!
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Dec 7, 2012 4:24 AM

Feb 2010
omg awesome
Dec 7, 2012 5:03 AM

Jan 2010
Battle Royale ripoff?
Dec 7, 2012 5:23 AM

Dec 2007
Today we got two video game anime adaptations by Kishi that's not by AIC which did Persona 4 The Animation? Well... I didn't like the P4A adaptation at all because it was rushed, the story was badly adapted, the action scenes were lackluster, the animation was full of QUALITY and the pacing was all over the place, whilst I enjoyed other anime series by Kishi. I think the studio was on the blame for P4 unsuccessful adaptation compared to its superior counterpart video game, not the director. I haven't lost my trust in Kishi just yet, let's see if he can handle adaptations that are not pure comedy again. Maybe it was really just the studio's fault...
Dec 7, 2012 5:56 AM

Jul 2007
Consider my interest piqued. This looks relatively decent, going by synopsis.
Dec 7, 2012 6:26 AM

Mar 2009
when I saw the trailer of the game the first thought that came into my head was "this needs an anime adaption!" and boom a few months later I see this :')
Dec 7, 2012 6:47 AM

Dec 2009
Wow, that synopsis interested me. A lot.
Too bad I can't find the manga translated, anyways, will be looking forward to the adaptation.
Dec 7, 2012 7:29 AM

Sep 2012
OH MY FUCKING GOD!

Shingeki no Kyojin and no this. Monokuma is love. If they don't fuck up, it's gonna be really epic, the number of plot twists is too damn high, and the characters were also a lot of fun.

I hope they're also going to keep the soundtrack, it was great.

Man, this year sounds really promising.
Dec 7, 2012 9:00 AM

Jul 2010
Wow, this sounds actually pretty freaking awesome.I like character design as well.Definitely will check it out.
Dec 7, 2012 9:09 AM

Sep 2012
HauntingShock said:
Wonder how many chapters are out... it was published on 2011.
The manga you mean? it was published in 2010 and there were only 3 chapters.
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Dec 7, 2012 9:09 AM

Sep 2012
Are you ready for the Monokuma craze?

Dec 7, 2012 9:46 AM

Sep 2009
Good to see the studio is alive ). They did well with Carnival Phantasm(MajiKoi was not so well but it's more the problem of eps number)
Dec 7, 2012 9:52 AM

Feb 2010
Sounds like my type of show, the cast is decent too. Count me in. 4 new announcements on one day and I find them all interesting, that's rare.
I probably regret this post by now.
Dec 7, 2012 10:18 AM

Nov 2008
count me in
Dec 7, 2012 11:39 AM

Jul 2011
puella-magi said:
While this is wonderful news, I can't help but wonder how they're going to handle the court scenes.

By court scenes we talking judge,jury defense and prosecution?

Also just noticed that its reuniting both the director and compositor of Jinrui. Got to try and keep my expectations low but its tough not to get excited.
Dec 7, 2012 11:40 AM

Aug 2011
japanda said:
Battle Royale ripoff?

Superficially, it may seem like it. But, AFAIK, besides the survival aspect they're really different.
Dec 7, 2012 12:02 PM

Sep 2011
japanda said:
Battle Royale ripoff?
Not even close, The only similarity is the mutual killing deathmatch, the differance is its much more laid back, the student have the choice to either live the rest of their lives there or murder another student and escape, they need to be stealthy about it and not get caught cause if they are they get executed. DR also has alot more comedy, in the dark sense but there is still comedy even with some light hearted sense here and there.

So its not a deathmatch really, Aside from the execution all the deaths happen off screen and then you piece together the clues to find who did it. There are alot of rules to the game and unlike BR it actually has a overarching plot outside of the deathmatch

So iTs more of a battle royale meets phoenix right, There is usually some time gaps between each death which is used to develop the characters as well as set up new murder possibilities . Its far from a Br rip off.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Dec 7, 2012 12:32 PM

Aug 2011
This looks good. The synopsis is interesting.
Dec 7, 2012 12:34 PM

Sep 2011
SetsukoHara said:
Are you ready for the Monokuma craze?

[/img]
Oh god everytime this song plays something really bad is going to happen

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 7, 2012 12:38 PM

Jun 2009
This sounds very interesting. Much better then the anime announced recently.

Where there is no imagination there is no horror. || Arthur Conan Doyle || Happy Halloween!
Dec 7, 2012 12:46 PM

Sep 2011
Suzune-chan said:
This sounds very interesting. Much better then the anime announced recently.
If it is true to the VN and it doesnt mess up the pacing then this show could be one of the smartest anime in years.

I am worried about how this will be adapted, unlike other vn's it has nothing to do with routes or any of that, I'm just worried about pacing, i dont want them to sacrifice any character development to fit a set number of episodes. Especially since the game did a great job at giving the player breathing moments with the characters for development. There were free time evnts that you could chose to spend with a character of your choice but they can almost all be skipped so im k forfitting some of them but a lot of them made some character even more likable than they already were especially this guy who's free time events were hilarious
http://myanimelist.net/character/65533/Yasuhiro_Hagakure

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 7, 2012 1:24 PM
Jan 2010
ImagineThat said:
puella-magi said:
While this is wonderful news, I can't help but wonder how they're going to handle the court scenes.

Pretty much, but there are certain mechanics involved when it comes to progressing through said scenes. Like having a sort of beatbox battle through pressing buttons at the right time when someone isn't listening to the protagonist, trying to eliminate people talking over you so you can pick out contradictions, not to mention a kana game. You can also speed up and slow down time amongst other things.

Kishi Seiji managed to incorporate some of Persona 4's mechanics into the anime, so if he's a fan of DR it wouldn't surprise me if he did the same here.
Dec 7, 2012 1:29 PM

Sep 2011
puella-magi said:
ImagineThat said:
puella-magi said:

Pretty much, but there are certain mechanics involved when it comes to progressing through said scenes. Like having a sort of beatbox battle through pressing buttons at the right time when someone isn't listening to the protagonist, trying to eliminate people talking over you so you can pick out contradictions, not to mention a kana game. You can also speed up and slow down time amongst other things.

Kishi Seiji managed to incorporate some of Persona 4's mechanics into the anime, so if he's a fan of DR it wouldn't surprise me if he did the same here.
Yah it will be cool to see how they handle the court scenes, though for the debates i wonder if they will include the VHS rewind thing the game had. Otherwise i think they will just have the debates play out and nagei will call out the contradiction after they are done talking

I'm wondering about the executions in 1 way, without spoiling things the final execution in the game was due to budget problems, there was a original unique to the situation execution set up that had to be left on the cutting room floor. I wonder if we will finally get to see that unused execution. Though id be ok without it seeing as the execution we did get was freaking amazing.

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 7, 2012 1:59 PM

Feb 2012
first good adaption in a while... really interesting.
wow this is cool
Dec 7, 2012 2:19 PM

Jan 2012
The visuals look great and the synopsis seems very interesting.
i should enjoy this :D
Dec 7, 2012 2:25 PM

Sep 2008
Um.. so I was looking through the character descriptions... Is this person really a dude?

http://myanimelist.net/character/66573/Chihiro_Fujisaki
Dec 7, 2012 2:44 PM

Sep 2011
Knil said:

No thats a girl, guess its a typo, the thread that translated this game in full says its a girl as well if you need proof
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3447397&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1
scroll down after the introductory post frm the op orenronin for characters, chirhiro is in the female section listing. Just a fair warning, thankfully only 1 is there but avoid the descriptions for the most part as there is one really huge spoiler in one of them.

Spoilers from the game, do not look under any circumstances if you have not played the game
JizzyHitlerDec 7, 2012 4:20 PM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 7, 2012 2:53 PM

Sep 2011
oh btw, if anyone is interested in what the executions are like, they have a non spoiler execution that plays in the very beginning of the game as you hit new game, its not of any major character and doesnt make any sense until the end of the 5th chapter so its not going to ruin anything

http://polsy.org.uk/play/yt/?vurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fwatch%3Fv%3DLRl9HBE7PWA

I do reccomend not clicking the link straight to youtube as something in the related might ruin later parts as well as may end up sticking dangan ronpa related spoilers in your related features, did i mention this game is one of the easiest things to spoil, cause trust me on that it is.

As you can tell the excutions are over the top and are chocked full of dark comedy, some of the legit ones of actual characters are quite gruesome actually so dont let this somewhat comedic tone and lack of blood in this one lower your expectations of future executions.
JizzyHitlerDec 7, 2012 2:56 PM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Dec 7, 2012 2:54 PM

Sep 2007
Am I dreaming. Is Dangan Ronpa really getting an anime. D: It's like all my anime dreams are coming true lately.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

16 by Jonas-K »»
8 minutes ago

» Spring 2024 Simulcast List [Update 4/18]

Snow - Apr 5

28 by infanf »»
10 minutes ago

» '2.5-jigen no Ririsa' Reveals Additional Pair of Cast, Two Consecutive Cours

DatRandomDude - 1 hour ago

3 by RobertBobert »»
33 minutes ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - Yesterday

8 by AddaeAkono »»
3 hours ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 24

5 by Kushna »»
Yesterday, 5:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.