Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 14, 2008 7:16 PM

Sep 2007
Spotlight Character: Yang Wenli (Legend of the Galactic Heroes)

MAL Character Information Page: Yang Wenli

MAL Favorite Character #482 (94 favorites)

For the next week I would like to have everyone familiar with Reinhard discuss what they think makes him an exceptional character. What attributes make him stand out in the ocean of interesting characters that exist in the realms of anime and manga.

Unlike the other two subjects I will not force this conversation to fall into any set structure. Characters that are nominated typically get here because they are adept at breaking the existing character molds and defying definition.

Because of this freedom I encourage everyone to do their very best to stay on topic and keep any and all debate civil. Have fun and I look forward to seeing what everyone has to say about this character.

RESULTS OF THE RE-VOTE POLL

Yang Wenli was PERMANENTLY inducted into the club Character list:
32 Yes - 94.1%
2 No - 5.9%

54 I don't know - 61.3% of the total number polled

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

RESULTS OF THE "YOU DECIDE" POLL

Yang Wenli was inducted into our club Character list:
23 Yes - 23.47%
01 No - 01.02%
74 Don't Know this Character - 75.51%

Approximately 6 months from 11/24/2008, Yang Wenli will have to be revoted for a second time.
santetjanMay 27, 2009 4:49 AM
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Nov 14, 2008 8:37 PM

Jul 2007
He's my homey so 9/10

+1 'cause he's high on tea

-1 'cause

+2 for'What is that thing?' at 'that guy' *snickers*

-1 'cause

In the end, 10/10

EDIT: Now that I realised it he gave me my most LOL moment and my most :'( moment. So +1 again.

Now 11/10.

madeenerNov 14, 2008 8:42 PM
Nov 14, 2008 10:05 PM
Nov 2007
I do not know this Character.
Nov 14, 2008 11:21 PM

Sep 2007
CMB17 said:

lol, then you don't need to post in the discussion thread. ^^

One of my favorite characters of all time. LoGH is a rare anime - one that uses real politics and philosophy correctly (the direct opposite of Code Geass, which can't even get chess right).

Yang manages to do some astounding things during the course of the series. Despite the fact that he's just a regular guy who loves history, he competes toe to toe (as a character and as a tactician) with a superstar 1-in-a-million kind of guy like Reinhard. He also manages to make Representative Democracy look at least as cool as Prussian-style Autocracy - no small feat, at least from my perspective. And what's more, he's not even a hot-blooded young punk. No, he's a level-headed, middle-aged guy who loves tea.

The series is full of memorable Yang quotes, but if I had to choose a favorite it's:
"The greatest freedom is the freedom not to get involved."

This one line is incredible. The paradox between living in a free nation, but being forced to defend it, or else facing it's collapse... it's great stuff.

Great character, 10/10. If you vote no, I recommend getting a soul - it'll do you good.
Nov 15, 2008 12:02 AM

May 2008
naikou said:
CMB17 said:

lol, then you don't need to post in the discussion thread. ^^

One of my favorite characters of all time. LoGH is a rare anime - one that uses real politics and philosophy correctly (the direct opposite of Code Geass, which can't even get chess right).

Yang manages to do some astounding things during the course of the series. Despite the fact that he's just a regular guy who loves history, he competes toe to toe (as a character and as a tactician) with a superstar 1-in-a-million kind of guy like Reinhard. He also manages to make Representative Democracy look at least as cool as Prussian-style Autocracy - no small feat, at least from my perspective. And what's more, he's not even a hot-blooded young punk. No, he's a level-headed, middle-aged guy who loves tea.

The series is full of memorable Yang quotes, but if I had to choose a favorite it's:
"The greatest freedom is the freedom not to get involved."

This one line is incredible. The paradox between living in a free nation, but being forced to defend it, or else facing it's collapse... it's great stuff.

Great character, 10/10. If you vote no, I recommend getting a soul - it'll do you good.

My thoughts exactly.
Nov 15, 2008 12:13 PM
Dec 2007
madeener said:
He's my homey so 9/10

+1 'cause he's high on tea

-1 'cause

+2 for'What is that thing?' at 'that guy' *snickers*

-1 'cause

In the end, 10/10

EDIT: Now that I realised it he gave me my most LOL moment and my most :'( moment. So +1 again.

Now 11/10.

Correct. Except I put a +1 because he married Frederica who is my favourite female character of LOGH ;) So, now we are at an overall 13/10 score (not bad!), and I can say that Yang Wen-Li is for me the best male character ever. Easily.

And don't forget, everything under Yang's neck is totally inefficient =]

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Nov 15, 2008 10:37 PM

Nov 2007
10.5/10

+.5 for having a history degree

Nov 16, 2008 1:01 AM

Oct 2008
Even though my assessment of the character will sound a quite a bit like what naikou wrote, I can't help but to express my thoughts on Yang Wenli, possibly my favorite character in all of fiction.

Yang Wenli is an impeccably written character, extraordinarily well-developed and possessing an untypical personality. He is a genius commander, particularly adept at fooling his opponents with sly tricks. Despite his talent as a commander, Yang is not some young hot shot, but a humble person who dislikes war, his position, and his popularity arising from his amazing achievements. Due to his disposition, he wants little more than to retire to a life of lazing around and studying history. In addition to this desire, he also realizes the immense flaws of the government of the nation he is protecting. However, he still fights despite these deterrents because of his love of democracy, which is neither unreasonable nor naive. This strong yet reasonable and realistic ideal along with Yang's knowledge of history and natural perceptiveness grants him a sophisticated perspective of both the events happening around him and those that led to the outbreak of war which is relayed to viewers through his reflections and his discussions with the rest of the cast. In a nutshell, Yang is an incredible character who deserves nothing less than a 10/10 and it's a damn shame we don't have more characters like him.
"The purpose of art is not the release of a momentary ejection of adrenaline but rather the gradual, lifelong construction of a state of wonder and serenity." - Glenn Gould
Nov 18, 2008 2:33 PM

Aug 2008
Love Yang, by far one of my favorite characters in televison, and for me, the best lead character for an anime. What Yang did that many lead characters fail to do is have a personality worthy of the viewers attention. Many times a lead character is relegated to "tabula rasa" status so that the audience can project themselves onto the character and get a sense for the world that way. Worse even is they are given the status of "emotion bot," the one the viewer is supposed to get his or her emotional cues from. Yang was very much a fully fleshed out character with idosyncrasies, hopes, doubts, and fears that the viewer not only relates to, but responds with. Yang is a character that you sympathize with because of his circumstances. I think one of the better compliments that I can pay to the writing of this character is that, rather than want to see him fight in every episode and root for his victory or be so tired of him that I wished for his death, I wanted for Yang to get out of the military as soon as possible and live his life, happy and fulfilled the way he wanted to live it.

10/10 fo me.
Nov 18, 2008 3:56 PM

Jul 2007
Jacut you are one big spoiler.
May 16, 2009 7:46 PM

Dec 2007
Just thought I would bring this in from one of my few blog commenters:

Yang should have been killed in battle somewhere before the actual series. Oh, and Julian too, naturally, i havent seen more annoying and disgusting character in a long time.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.