Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What score did you give it?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 7, 2008 10:51 AM

May 2008
Rurouni Kenshin is a legendary anime!
Tsuiokuhen is awesome it has everything! emotion action etc.
they should bring out more games :(

LONG LIVE RUROUNI KENSHIN!

"Why do women have butts on their chests?" Son Goku
May 20, 2008 2:41 PM

Dec 2007
This was awsome it was a lot better to me than the other ova Rurouni Kenshin Seisouhen
May 31, 2008 8:32 PM
Apr 2008
I just saw the first episode and it was great. Like most people said the voice acting sucked but that doesn't affect this great OVA.
Aug 19, 2008 9:06 AM

Mar 2008
wowww epic 10/10.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 27, 2008 7:05 PM

Jul 2008
Just re-watched this with a friend yesterday and just like the first time, I was left in awe.

I adored all four acts and the way everything build up to the final moments was just wonderful. It will continue to remain a 10/10 in my list.

Sep 13, 2008 12:10 AM

Jul 2008
I wish I had watched this when I was younger. I still enjoyed it a lot now, but if I had watched this when I was 11 or 12, I would have been mesmerized.

I would normally have rated it a high 8/10, but considering it was largely made for children, I gave it a 9/10.
Sep 29, 2008 7:25 AM

May 2007
ShaolinRibiero but considering it was largely made for children [/quote said:

The series were, but this one wasnt.... (blood, love story, slow pace)

Sep 29, 2008 7:39 AM

Apr 2008
I cried a bit at the end

Apr 18, 2009 11:47 PM

Apr 2009
I believe that this particular ova/movie should be ranked number one and possibly considered as the best all time anime. Only three other websites that I have seen currently has Reminiscence listed as number one on those sites, and there could be more that I am not aware of. At any rate, I love this ova series, truly the best that I've seen along with Cowboy Bebop, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.
Apr 22, 2009 11:41 AM

Nov 2007
gave it 8/10 cause it was just awesome story and action, but a little slow paced around the middle

ep 1 was my fav
Apr 29, 2009 10:20 PM

Nov 2007
SuperMario said:
I believe that this particular ova/movie should be ranked number one and possibly considered as the best all time anime. Only three other websites that I have seen currently has Reminiscence listed as number one on those sites, and there could be more that I am not aware of. At any rate, I love this ova series, truly the best that I've seen along with Cowboy Bebop, Spirited Away and Princess Mononoke.

Agreed on all accounts regarding the first part. The three anime are great recommendations as well.

I understand people have different tastes; I was very surprised when TTGL surpassed Tsuiokuhen, but I can rationalize it. It still boggles my mind that some people resent it enough to rate it a 1, and I truly don't see any reason for a 1 other than hate votes. It's one of the only 4 10s on my list, and possibly only one that doesn't have anything to do with my personal preference (except possibly Haibane Renmai).

edit: Just realized the ratings fell even further, seems like it'll soon be passed by Kara no Kyoukai. What has the world come to....
Jun 2, 2009 5:14 AM

Apr 2009
I found it pretty average... I don't see why this has such high ratings...
Jun 2, 2009 7:17 AM

Apr 2009
Xzaxs said:
The original Japanese version is the only way to go with this OVA, and not the movie edition. Of course if you did watch the OVA in Japanese, then it is only a matter of preference.
Jun 2, 2009 10:06 AM

Apr 2009
SuperMario said:
Xzaxs said:
The original Japanese version is the only way to go with this OVA, and not the movie edition. Of course if you did watch the OVA in Japanese, then it is only a matter of preference.
I did watch it in Japanese, maybe the drama wasn't enough for me. Well, it's only a matter of preference as you say.
Jun 9, 2009 9:00 AM

Jun 2009
There are good anime, bad anime and masterpieces.
This one falls under the later category.
Jun 21, 2009 2:50 PM

Jul 2008
Xzaxs said:

I see why you thought that after looking over your anime list. You never watched the original TV series; Tsuiokuhen's true appeal is the fact that it shows a different Kenshin, and provides fans when stuff that was only hinted at in the series. You wouldn't feel that reaction, so I see where you're coming from.

Not that you have to watch the TV series to enjoy Tsuiokuhen. :P
Jul 5, 2009 6:53 AM

Apr 2009
10/10.. Though I did not have any after shock hype as with most of my 10's after watching it, i can't very much explain how it is epic rather than it really is, so i had to give it a 10..
Jul 10, 2009 11:30 PM

Oct 2008
Hey guys, i'm planning on watching rurouni kenshin, but i dont know where to start ...
Should i start with Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen (the prequel) or just with Rurouni kenshin original ?

Jul 10, 2009 11:45 PM

Apr 2009
ragcage said:
Hey guys, i'm planning on watching rurouni kenshin, but i dont know where to start ...
Should i start with Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen (the prequel) or just with Rurouni kenshin original ?

I just finished watching this OVA about five minutes ago. I happen to think that this is leaps and bounds ahead of the anime itself and I actually didn't want to watch this OVA at first because I thought that it was going to be too similar to the "idiotic but secretly badass" Kenshin from the series.

Man was I wrong. This is really good, and I have to say that this gives the Kenshin character one of the most tragic back stories I've seen in a while.

I recommend this a lot (download at isohunt.org) but if you plan on watching the series prepare yourself for comedic elements that were NEVER hinted at in the OVA. It's actually kind of jarring really.
Jul 10, 2009 11:54 PM

Jul 2008
ragcage said:

As I said in an eariler post, you're probably better off watching the TV series first, even if you only watch it about half way through. That way you get to experience Kenshin in a new, shocking light that adds to the entertainment factor of Tsuiokuhen.

But that's just my opinion. :)
Jul 11, 2009 12:10 AM

Oct 2008
Ah, thanks guys, watching rurouni kenshin now :p

Every1 says it's just too epic ^.^
Jul 17, 2009 8:56 PM

Oct 2008
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann has finally been defeated! :D

I'd give this a 10, and I'm a very negative critic, I only have about four or five other tens.
Jul 18, 2009 8:35 AM

Apr 2009
Gin-iro said:
Xzaxs said:

I see why you thought that after looking over your anime list. You never watched the original TV series; Tsuiokuhen's true appeal is the fact that it shows a different Kenshin, and provides fans when stuff that was only hinted at in the series. You wouldn't feel that reaction, so I see where you're coming from.

I thought this was the prequel. Well, I can't see myself watching something over 50 episodes that I don't have high hopes for...
Jul 19, 2009 2:51 PM

Sep 2008
Happy to see that it has taken back its rightful place on the top anime list.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jul 19, 2009 2:56 PM

Sep 2008
Xzaxs said:
Gin-iro said:
Xzaxs said:

I thought this was the prequel. Well, I can't see myself watching something over 50 episodes that I don't have high hopes for...

It is. I saw it after the Tv series actually. tbh, I dont think it matters which one you watch first. You probably didn't like it cuz its different from the kind of anime you watch. Everyone on my friends list who's seen it has given it a 10. Same goes for everyone who's opinion I highly value.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Jul 19, 2009 4:02 PM

Apr 2009
It's nice to know that it is back on the top spot again, at least for now. I love the OVA. I think it should be time for the producers to give the OVA a tenth anniversary special edition treatment of some sort. It could feature things like the making of the four episode series, commentaries and interviews with some of voice actors (or seiyuus as most say), and perhaps some deleted scenes (if any) as the OVA does not directly follow the manga's interpretation in some areas. This series has stood the test of time for over ten years, and seemingly, only Cowboy Bebop, Sprited Away, Code Geass R2 and Clannad After Story compare.
Jul 21, 2009 9:43 PM

Sep 2008
SuperMario said:
This series has stood the test of time for over ten years, and seemingly, only Cowboy Bebop, Sprited Away, Code Geass R2 and Clannad After Story compare.
Obviously you haven't seen TTGL.
Jul 22, 2009 7:36 PM

Apr 2009
5layer said:
SuperMario said:
This series has stood the test of time for over ten years, and seemingly, only Cowboy Bebop, Sprited Away, Code Geass R2 and Clannad After Story compare.
Obviously you haven't seen TTGL.
How would you know that? I'm sure that it is a very good show. It's one of the greatest anime series around.

Well, it turns out that Tsuiokuhen rank at No. 1 was short lived as I estimated. No matter.
SMG64Jul 22, 2009 8:17 PM
Jul 23, 2009 1:02 AM

Sep 2008
yeah...surprising how LotGH gained so much (9.02 :O) in a matter of few days :P. But its alright as long as Tsuiokuhen doesn't get beaten by Clanned after story :P
Jul 27, 2009 2:40 AM

May 2009
one of the best ive ever seen 10/10
Jul 30, 2009 3:13 PM

Feb 2009
Absolute Masterpice - 10.

Aug 2, 2009 6:27 AM

Feb 2009
Insaner said:
Absolute Masterpice - 10.
Jan 1, 2010 7:35 PM

Jul 2008
just finished the TV serie and decided to watch OVA right after.
So glad i did! because this was just awsome, and after watching it.
Im so pissed that the TV version is "less bloodier/child friendly) =P
i just wish that the TV version would show the moves he uses more, instead of just "black screen, with white sword light over" all the time...

anyway, a clear 10! i gave TV version a 10 too, but even tough they both got 10, i prefer the OVA. =)
Mar 1, 2010 12:42 PM

Feb 2010
koreye said:
yeah...surprising how LotGH gained so much (9.02 :O) in a matter of few days :P. But its alright as long as Tsuiokuhen doesn't get beaten by Clanned after story :P

Unfortunately it has :( -- which annoys me to no endd -- i saw ~after story~...it wasn't that great ( don't kill me)
I'm pretty sure this OVA is one of the two 10's on my list
I loved ittt so muchh :)
But it still stands the test of time even though it's not number one..it's older than clannad..and TTGL..and some of the other shows in the top ten
Mar 8, 2010 9:30 AM

Sep 2007
I loved it because of the deep characters, intricate story line and all the beautiful natural backdrop with the flowers, the cranes and the countryside of Otsu. Breathtaking!
Apr 7, 2010 7:44 PM

Dec 2007
im am just absolutely amazed at how great this OVA was.
a few days ago i finished the TV series and rated it a 8/10 and thought it was good but this OVA get a perfect 10 thats how amazing it was.

if only they would make OVA's this great more often!
May 10, 2010 6:11 AM

Apr 2010
Most definitely a masterpiece. Incredibly storytelling with perfect pacing, and so much depth is achieved in the short span of two hours.
Jun 25, 2010 1:42 AM

Jun 2009
I'll say that I haven't ever bothered to finish the TV series, as it was very much a shounen and I've only recently started watching that type of show again and even then very rarely.

Anyway, I'd seen the english version of this on youtube about a year or so and remembered it being extremely well made. After seeing this again, I've got to say Tsuiokuhen is one of the true masterpieces of anime imo. And the japanese voice acting is incredible especially for Kenshin and Tomoe. The romance was so subtle and endearingly tragic. God.. so many good things to say.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 14, 2010 8:44 AM

Jun 2009
I actually love Kenshin's voice... A manly voice wouldn't have worked. He was after all, a fifteen years old boy.

This is another 10/10 in my book, truly deserving.

EDIT: Young Kenshin > TV series Kenshin
AirStylesJul 14, 2010 8:55 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 5, 2013 6:26 AM

Mar 2013
I loved it to the extent where my tears fell until I can't stand it anymore, I banged my head on my bed. Damn. That tragedy really hit deep inside me. Even so, the romance, story, ost (damn this one is really great), art is high-class. I gave it a 10 and is now my new favorite.

Tomoe </3
Jul 2, 2013 3:13 PM

Aug 2008
I've watched this today and started the anime after it but I am disappointed in the anime.

Can anyone recommend something like this ova to me?
Jul 3, 2013 12:20 PM

Jun 2011
Kitschi said:
I've watched this today and started the anime after it but I am disappointed in the anime.

What are you looking for in terms of "like this ova"? Are you looking for an anime that has the same kind of darkness and seriousness or something else? I took a quick look at your profile and you seemed like to battle shounens like Naruto and Bleach so now I am inclined to ask how much of the main Rurouni Kenshin anime have you seen?

At the beginning of the series, the first 27 or so episodes are only to set up the main cast. The bulk of the series, where the plot picks up and the series shows its darker and more intricate side is from episode 28 to 62. During that part, the series is like a battle shounen with a mixture of darkness like this OVA (though to a much less extent).

Anyway, if you get back to me, I can try to recommend something for you.
Animelist」 ♪「 Mangalist 」♫
[/size]

Jul 12, 2013 12:32 PM

Aug 2008
xmaikokoro said:
Kitschi said:

What are you looking for in terms of "like this ova"? Are you looking for an anime that has the same kind of darkness and seriousness or something else? I took a quick look at your profile and you seemed like to battle shounens like Naruto and Bleach so now I am inclined to ask how much of the main Rurouni Kenshin anime have you seen?

At the beginning of the series, the first 27 or so episodes are only to set up the main cast. The bulk of the series, where the plot picks up and the series shows its darker and more intricate side is from episode 28 to 62. During that part, the series is like a battle shounen with a mixture of darkness like this OVA (though to a much less extent).

thanks for answering.

My list is not really updated i log in maybe 2 times a year :D.
And yes something dark with romance you could say.
The series i am at episode 20 now and it is getting slightly better.
Jul 12, 2013 7:05 PM

Jun 2011
Kitschi said:
xmaikokoro said:
Kitschi said:

thanks for answering.

I see, that's understandable.
Hmm... dark with romance, on the top of my head: Darker than Black, Kara no Kyoukai, and Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom. The setting for these are very different from Tsuiokuhen but it is dark and has romance.

I would also say Sword of the Stranger is pretty similar to this (haven't seen it though, heard it was good though and it involves similar characters) as well as the Hakuouki series (which is more of a romance for girls because it is a reverse harem so I don't really recommend it unless you really just like historical stuff since it is in the viewpoint of the Shinsengumi during the same time period as Tsuiokuhen just with some magic).

If memory serves right, episode 30 is definitely where it picks up (and for me, that was one of the best moments of the show). If you like battle shounens, I would continue the main series since it acts like one soon, but if not, it probably won't bring much for you (though it's still worth a shot).

Anyway, hope this reply helps! :)
Animelist」 ♪「 Mangalist 」♫
[/size]

Jul 13, 2013 1:25 AM

Aug 2008
xmaikokoro said:
Kitschi said:
xmaikokoro said:
Kitschi said:

thanks for answering.

I see, that's understandable.
Hmm... dark with romance, on the top of my head: Darker than Black, Kara no Kyoukai, and Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom. The setting for these are very different from Tsuiokuhen but it is dark and has romance.

I would also say Sword of the Stranger is pretty similar to this (haven't seen it though, heard it was good though and it involves similar characters) as well as the Hakuouki series (which is more of a romance for girls because it is a reverse harem so I don't really recommend it unless you really just like historical stuff since it is in the viewpoint of the Shinsengumi during the same time period as Tsuiokuhen just with some magic).

If memory serves right, episode 30 is definitely where it picks up (and for me, that was one of the best moments of the show). If you like battle shounens, I would continue the main series since it acts like one soon, but if not, it probably won't bring much for you (though it's still worth a shot).

Anyway, hope this reply helps! :)

Thanks mate!

I put them on my plan to watch list.
I think Darker than black did i start once but didn't continue.
Feb 19, 2014 1:11 PM

Nov 2012
8/10
overrated. it was good, but i can't see how it deserve it's rank. well, matter of opinions.

i like the relationship between Kenshin and the girl -i forgot her name- and the dialogues were amazing. the art, animation and music were all amazing too. but it didn't live to the hype for me.
still worth watching, though.
Feb 28, 2014 12:04 PM
Jul 2018
I absolutely loved it. One of my favorites.
Mar 2, 2014 8:01 PM
Aug 2013
Loved the OVA! Though the random live-action/CGI sequences were not needed

Overall 10/10
Mar 31, 2014 1:08 PM

Jul 2012
8/10 Not Furuhashi best work
הלב שלי כבר מת
Apr 2, 2014 10:02 AM

Jan 2014
Great. 8/10.
Very enjoyable and one of my favorites. Much better than the anime series.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 17, 2008

57 by catmancatplan »»
Apr 16, 5:23 PM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

hznu - Sep 16, 2008

190 by Jirokissaw »»
Apr 11, 9:47 PM

» Can I finally watch this after seeing the 2023 remake or I have to still see the Kyoto arc?

Cestlavie_ - Dec 16, 2023

13 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Feb 17, 5:17 AM

Poll: » Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ManU-Alchemist - Jun 2, 2008

75 by RFXs »»
Feb 9, 7:57 AM

» Similar tragic romance

yoru987 - Aug 13, 2023

5 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Aug 17, 2023 8:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.