Forum Settings
Forums
New
Nov 6, 2012 2:57 PM

Jul 2012
the one jumping the shark moment is the one where bardock from dragon ball z goes back in time in the bardock episode * that episode pissed me off
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Nov 6, 2012 3:01 PM

Sep 2012
wtf is a jumping the shark moment
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Praise the Oppai ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Nov 6, 2012 3:02 PM
Nov 6, 2012 3:05 PM

Sep 2012
Paul said:
Shiveron said:
wtf is a jumping the shark moment

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/JumpingTheShark
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumping_the_shark
[url=http://www.google.com/search?q=jumping+the+shark&rlz=1C1CHKZ_enUS431US431&oq=jumping+the+shark&sugexp=chrome,mod=0&sourceid=chrome&ie=UTF-8]http://www.google.com

Wikipedia said:
Fonzie (Henry Winkler) answers a challenge to his bravery by wearing swim trunks and his trademark leather jacket, and jumping over a confined shark.

How on earth does something like that coin an entire phrase describing plot shifts?
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ Praise the Oppai ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ

Nov 6, 2012 3:10 PM

Sep 2010
It's not a plot shift but a drop in overall quality or enjoyment.

And how does it happen? It's an idiom.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiom
They happen, not because you understand them but because a whole bunch of people that are not you, use it.

Nov 6, 2012 3:13 PM

Oct 2012
(This is going to piss some people off I'm sure.) In episode 2 (was it?) in Mirai Nikki, when Yuki summons enough courage to convince himself that he needs to take some action, but reverts back to a whiny little shit immediately after the conflict. That was a "jumping the shark" moment for me, even though I did watch it further just to confirm it.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Nov 7, 2012 6:43 AM
Feb 2012
katsucats said:
(This is going to piss some people off I'm sure.) In episode 2 (was it?) in Mirai Nikki, when Yuki summons enough courage to convince himself that he needs to take some action, but reverts back to a whiny little shit immediately after the conflict. That was a "jumping the shark" moment for me, even though I did watch it further just to confirm it.

^Why it became unenjoyable for me.
Nov 7, 2012 7:20 AM

Oct 2012

Haruhi Suzumiya no yuutsu

lionheart04Nov 7, 2012 7:26 AM
Nov 7, 2012 7:46 AM

Aug 2009
lionheart04 said:

This.
Nov 7, 2012 1:42 PM

Sep 2010
AngelicTsundere said:
katsucats said:

^Why it became unenjoyable for me.

Except "jumping the shark" hinges on a something being established and then running out of ideas. Episode 2! of goddamn series that has 12 or more episodes is neither that show being established nor them running out of ideas. If you didn't like it at episode 2 then look for a fitting idiom/phrase for it but jumping the shark doesn't apply.

Nov 7, 2012 1:44 PM

Apr 2009
Guilty Crown episode 2 and SAO episode..I guess it was episode 4.

Transfer students and clichee loli fanservice episodes are obvious indicators if you ask me.
Steel Ball Run anime when?
Nov 7, 2012 2:15 PM

Sep 2010
Nidhoeggr said:

Transfer students and clichee loli fanservice episodes are obvious indicators if you ask me.

Transfer students happen yes? No way should any anime avoid transfer students just because it is cliche? The answer is no writer needs to avoid cliches and for that matter there is noway to avoid cliches in a story. Being unavoidable isn't sign that the writers ran out of ideas and the fact it was done for introductory purposes means there are more ideas are going to be used to explore the character in later episodes.

And clearly they didn't run out of ideas and had a plan for GC that they followed. Plus it hard to say an anime adaptation jumped the shark when the source did not and the adaptation at the time only produced so little of the source.

Nov 8, 2012 7:13 AM
Feb 2012
An episode of Detective Conan when some dude wearing a suit and a red tie kicks Conan.

Then a three letter word with three exclamation points comes afterwards.
SlatrixNov 8, 2012 7:58 AM
Nov 8, 2012 10:52 AM

Sep 2010
AngelicTsundere said:
An episode of Detective Conan when some dude wearing a suit and a red tie kicks Conan.

Then a three letter word with three exclamation points comes afterwards.

So you wake up and decide to stalk/troll me? PMS? Defending a friend? Or it is just drugs?

Nov 8, 2012 1:35 PM

Sep 2012
Death Note, after episode 25. Still a great anime in my opinion, but there was a big dropoff after that.
Nov 8, 2012 2:20 PM

Feb 2005
From what I saw, anything in Bleach after the arc where they went to rescue Rukia and up til the point I dropped it.

The entirety of Code Geass season 2.

Battle Angel Alita: Last Order's tournament arc(s).

Most Gundam series after Zeta that just shamelessly rips off the old plot structures.
Nov 8, 2012 2:29 PM

Apr 2011
TrickedOutHoro said:
lionheart04 said:

This.

You really think so? I don't.
Nov 8, 2012 2:33 PM

Oct 2010
TrickedOutHoro said:
lionheart04 said:

This.

But guys... the movie came after that.
Nov 8, 2012 3:49 PM

Apr 2008
A few that I can recall:

Accel World:

Pandora Hearts:

Code Geass R2:

Inuyasha:

Kare Kano:
Nov 8, 2012 3:57 PM

Oct 2012
Shinsekai Yori Episode 5

man that episode was so weird and character drawing was so bad it still give me nightmares....
Watching Anime with Real Time Commenting at Anime Front: http://www.animefront.com/
Nov 8, 2012 4:02 PM

Jan 2012
Animefreak17a said:
the one jumping the shark moment is the one where bardock from dragon ball z goes back in time in the bardock episode * that episode pissed me off

the threads you make are kinda weird
and that bardock episode waas a ova/special,something for the fans,a what if scenario,it has nothing to do with the plots and they didn't jumped the shark since it doesn't affect the story
Nov 8, 2012 4:06 PM

Aug 2012
Code G.
Nov 8, 2012 6:37 PM
Jul 2012
Nidhoeggr said:

no.
Nov 8, 2012 8:41 PM

Aug 2012
Terence_T said:
A few that I can recall:

Code Geass R2:

]

That was a main point of his plan... If he acted all nice, everyone would have liked him. He had to make people hate him in order to have his "Destroy it, then rebuild far greater than before" objective.
Nov 8, 2012 9:33 PM

Apr 2012
Eureka 7

Sailor Moon

Black Butler

FMA:B

One Piece

G Gundam

Sword Art Online
LittleCaesarsNov 8, 2012 10:12 PM
Nov 8, 2012 9:36 PM

Jul 2012
DrunkenBlowfish said:
Eureka 7

oh yeah looooool thats a good one
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Nov 8, 2012 10:02 PM
Lilium Gardener

Jul 2011
Pretty sure that most of you don't quite get what "jumping the shark" means. That Eureka 7 one is a decent example. Most of the others, not so much.

You can't "jump the shark" in episode 2 of a series people. It has to have an established consistency of quality and then all of the sudden, some ludicrous event happens that is out of place and makes you say, "Really? Did that just happen? Why?"
Nov 8, 2012 10:55 PM

Oct 2010
DrunkenBlowfish said:
One Piece

You sure had to get a very weird version of the show to get this at episode 13.
Nov 8, 2012 11:22 PM

Jun 2009
jal90 said:
DrunkenBlowfish said:
One Piece

It's ridiculous to even consider that a "jumping the shark" anyway, considering the fact at that point there has already been fishmen in the story. And, at that point, though it's several dozen episodes into the show, One Piece is still very much still building it's world and introducing characters.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Nov 8, 2012 11:39 PM

Nov 2010
insan3soldiern said:
jal90 said:
DrunkenBlowfish said:
One Piece

It's ridiculous to even consider that a "jumping the shark" anyway, considering the fact at that point there has already been fishmen in the story. And, at that point, though it's several dozen episodes into the show, One Piece is still very much still building it's world and introducing characters.
Yup doesn't count as one.
Nov 8, 2012 11:40 PM

Apr 2012
jal90 said:
DrunkenBlowfish said:
One Piece

I didn't watch them successively. I first watched One Piece back in 2004, before we had things like You Tube and Crunchyroll, so if I missed an episode one Saturday morning, then I missed that episode. That's all there was to it.
Nov 9, 2012 12:36 AM

Nov 2011
lionheart04 said:

This was definitely a low in the series but the series was able to recover and even improve.

MetaKlonoa said:
Death Note, after episode 25. Still a great anime in my opinion, but there was a big dropoff after that.

Definitely this. Literally a drop from masterpiece to garbage.

And as others have mentioned, Bleach and R2 are big ones too.
Nov 9, 2012 2:07 AM

Mar 2011
Hmm...would it count in Ore no imouto when:

And I feel that the last few episodes of Black Cat could fit in here too.
Harems don't exist in America. If one guy is constantly surrounded by beautiful girls, then he's probably the gay friend.
Nov 9, 2012 4:09 AM

Apr 2010
Hanasaku Iroha

yep that didn't take long.
Nov 9, 2012 4:12 AM

Jan 2012
School Days pretty much jumped the shark for harem genre.
---
Nov 9, 2012 4:33 AM

Mar 2009
The most recent one I can think of is Sword Art Online. It

Also, the obvious: Death Note after ep 25.
Nov 9, 2012 7:41 AM

Oct 2010
DrunkenBlowfish said:
jal90 said:
DrunkenBlowfish said:
One Piece

I didn't watch them successively. I first watched One Piece back in 2004, before we had things like You Tube and Crunchyroll, so if I missed an episode one Saturday morning, then I missed that episode. That's all there was to it.

So I guess you know why your argument doesn't apply to this thread, since 1) you didn't watch it successively, therefore not being able to notice a trend and 2) you watched 13 non-consecutive episodes in a series with such a clearly continuous story (to the point that most endings are cliffhangers a la "what will happen in the next episode?"). I won't make a fuss if you consider the idea you put in spoiler to be ridiculous. However talking about a jump in the shark moment requires giving continuity to what you watch and being able to put it in context in the whole.
Nov 9, 2012 8:47 AM

Apr 2011
In Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann:

Nov 9, 2012 9:40 AM

Nov 2008
jal90 said:
DrunkenBlowfish said:
jal90 said:
DrunkenBlowfish said:
One Piece

So I guess you know why your argument doesn't apply to this thread, since 1) you didn't watch it successively, therefore not being able to notice a trend and 2) you watched 13 non-consecutive episodes in a series with such a clearly continuous story (to the point that most endings are cliffhangers a la "what will happen in the next episode?"). I won't make a fuss if you consider the idea you put in spoiler to be ridiculous. However talking about a jump in the shark moment requires giving continuity to what you watch and being able to put it in context in the whole.
You forgot to mention that he was most likely watching the 4Kids dub of One Piece, with all of its censorship, considering he mentioned watching it on Saturday Mornings.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Nov 9, 2012 9:51 AM
May 2012
It's nice knowing a new term as this one o:

Yup, Suzumiya Haruhi...
Nov 9, 2012 10:41 AM

Apr 2012
jal90 said:
DrunkenBlowfish said:
jal90 said:
DrunkenBlowfish said:
One Piece

You're right. One Piece shouldn't be counted. To say it has a shark moment would imply that it had a high point as well, but what Chopper was to me, even as a kid, was the culmination of stupid on top of all the dumb things that series threw at me that ultimately made me quit, and let me remind you, this was back when Yu-Gi-Oh! was a thing. My dumb ass was willing to watch more Yu-Gi-Oh! than One Piece, and that says a lot. In fact I think it was One Piece that made me take a second look at anime like Yu-Gi-Oh! and Shaman King and realize just how stupid they were. In that sense it is the ultimate shark moment in that it killed not only One Piece but many other kid anime in the same way the shark scene killed Happy Days.
Nov 9, 2012 10:50 AM

Sep 2010
Yes, "killed" in the sense that the shows(One Piece and Happy Days) continued on basking in their popularity and topping TV ratings for years after their supposed jumping the shark moment.

Nov 9, 2012 11:08 AM

Oct 2010
DrunkenBlowfish said:
jal90 said:
DrunkenBlowfish said:
jal90 said:
DrunkenBlowfish said:
One Piece

You're right. One Piece shouldn't be counted. To say it has a shark moment would imply that it had a high point as well, but what Chopper was to me, even as a kid, was the culmination of stupid on top of all the dumb things that series threw at me that ultimately made me quit, and let me remind you, this was back when Yu-Gi-Oh! was a thing. My dumb ass was willing to watch more Yu-Gi-Oh! than One Piece, and that says a lot. In fact I think it was One Piece that made me take a second look at anime like Yu-Gi-Oh! and Shaman King and realize just how stupid they were. In that sense it is the ultimate shark moment in that it killed not only One Piece but many other kid anime in the same way the shark scene killed Happy Days.

What are you saying anyway? The point is not that you are bashing One Piece, but that you are misusing the term "jumping the shark".
Nov 9, 2012 11:23 AM

Apr 2012
jal90 said:

Before thi spirred into a really REALLY pointless argument I'm just going to cut it off. Hell, its even attracted one of MAL's most stubborn users, Anime_Name. That being said this conversation would be about as fruitful as trying to talk some sense into Mitt Romney fans, so I'm just going to end it with, who gives a shit?
Nov 9, 2012 8:43 PM

Mar 2012
Episode 14 of Sword Art Online. It's recovering now but I feel that it was shoddy and rushed conclusion to the arc. Just when I was starting to really enjoy it, they take it away from me.
Nov 10, 2012 12:44 AM

Mar 2012
Asu no Yoichi! ridiculous attempts at trying to create drama...

Ikki tousen for being completely ridiculous and maken ki.

Bleach with the whole Aizen thing and then it just spiraling downhill from there for me. Most of bleach fit this criteria because they always managed to outdo the first attempt of him losing his power and regaining it...
"People die if they get killed" who knew.
Nov 10, 2012 1:37 AM

Mar 2012
Anime_Name said:
Yes, "killed" in the sense that the shows(One Piece and Happy Days) continued on basking in their popularity and topping TV ratings for years after their supposed jumping the shark moment.

Regardless...you cannot deny the ridiculousness of what happened. That's the point. The story turned ridiculous regardless if people stop watching it. Right?
"People die if they get killed" who knew.
Nov 10, 2012 1:53 AM

May 2010
what do you think...

Ano Hana
Nov 10, 2012 9:06 AM

Nov 2010
lovelydeath said:
Anime_Name said:

Regardless...you cannot deny the ridiculousness of what happened. That's the point. The story turned ridiculous regardless if people stop watching it. Right?
Except that it wasn't ridiculous, the One Piece world is full of mermaids, cyborgs, giants, weird powers, and 20 episodes before they had already seen a whale as big as a mountain and was inside it's stomach that was painted like the sky. So it wasn't a jumping the shark moment because One Piece has always been weird and full of fantasy(as in that's not a big ridiculous moment, if you look at it alone then it might seem that way). And since that was in the first 80 episodes of the show, I think we can be sure that no one has stopped watching it, and or the quality hasn't dropped, as in that arc was not the highpoint of the show.
Nov 10, 2012 9:45 AM

Oct 2010
Yep. I fail to see what is supposed to be so ridiculous in comparison with the rest of the show. Even before that we had that whale, several fishmen (and an octopusman), a giant dog or a dude who fought with explosive snot.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 3 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

109 by Merani »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Which is your favourite Anime in this list?

PushedCaraway - 4 minutes ago

0 by PushedCaraway »»
4 minutes ago

» A Trend in Voice Actors in Anime

Yuu_Kanzaki - 7 minutes ago

0 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
7 minutes ago

» Great Teacher Onizuka

Enn - Mar 21, 2007

9 by DancingTheBa »»
16 minutes ago

» What will be the next KyoAni project? Tell me your thoughts.

Pinoffin - 7 hours ago

42 by Yuu_Kanzaki »»
17 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.