Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Oct 27, 2012 4:05 PM

Apr 2012
AirStyles said:
Zeally said:
SetsukoHara said:
Zeally said:

I just felt like I was being NTRed and weirded out by kids engaging in spontaneous borderline sex acts.......

I also felt the same, they could have hinted it a bit more during the first three episodes. Only the library talked about their sexual behaviour in episode 4, but it was never shown nor really hinted before that, so it felt as if this scene came out of nowhere.

yea if anything the first few episodes was shipping towards a Shun x Saki relationship and it felt way out of line that there was a Saki x Satoru scene and it wasn't just flirting...... <_<....................Yea i understand that there was the "library" scene that kinda explained this but....... still ._.

If you're uncomfortable with different culture/society....

avoid Southern China, some Island Nation, Eskimos...

Oh yeah, Japan too, they have bath house where family bath together. Heck, i even seen picture of a whole class of University Student take picture together in a public bath.(naked btw)

EDIT: Am I the only one who's not bothered by the supposed sex-scene? I'm pretty much "accepted" the fact that they're "programmed" to be like bonobos.

I'm all about bathing together and being open lol but this is borderline NTR stuff and NTR between pre teen-teenage kids. I live in the most liberal city in the country and seen a nudist on the street before. IRL people cheat on each other and some people even have multiple wives or have a swinger type of relationships, but seems excessive when pre teens do it and there was absolutely zero indication of this even happening. It's kinda like they had too many long island ice teas and decided to have a one night stand......
zzzeallyOct 27, 2012 4:10 PM

Oct 27, 2012 4:06 PM

Sep 2012
AirStyles said:

EDIT: Am I the only one who's not bothered by the supposed sex-scene? I've pretty much "accepted" the fact that they're "programmed" to be like bonobos.

You must have forgotten me....
Anyway, I would not say they are "programmed" -- I would say that it is a combination of nature (perhaps the scientists did some gene change to make that attitude to sex more likely to happen) and nurture (Saki's mom was shown teaching Saki, and there is also "rules about sex" that actively encourage homosexual and underaged sex contacts which are taught in schools) and it is manifested in the culture and mores of the society they live in.
symbvOct 27, 2012 4:12 PM
So MAL finally starts locking news threads that are only a few weeks old?

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

I wonder how long people would put up with this.

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 27, 2012 4:11 PM

Jun 2009
@symbv
But you're different, you're from JP. And you've read the book. (lucky bastard... I want traslation)

@Zeally

If that's the case....

Avoid Southern China(some mountain tribe may overwhelm you) and Eskimo(wife sharing may overwhelm you) country.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 27, 2012 4:11 PM

Apr 2012
symbv said:
AirStyles said:

EDIT: Am I the only one who's not bothered by the supposed sex-scene? I've pretty much "accepted" the fact that they're "programmed" to be like bonobos.

You must have forgotten me....
Anyway, I would not say they are "programmed" -- I would say that it is nature (perhaps the scientists did some gene change to make it more likely to happen) and nurture (Saki's mom was shown teaching Saki, and there is also "rules about sex" that actively encourages homosexual and underaged sex contact which are taught in schools).

wait where was this? Saki's mom teaching Saki about sex? Is this in the novel? lol

Oct 27, 2012 4:14 PM

Apr 2012
AirStyles said:
@symbv
But you're different, you're from JP. And you've read the book. (lucky bastard... I want traslation)

@Zeally

If that's the case....

Avoid Southern China(some mountain tribe may overwhelm you) and Eskimo(wife sharing may overwhelm you) country.

yea i would never let anyone share my wife */mad* XD

Oct 27, 2012 4:14 PM

Sep 2012
Zeally said:

wait where was this? Saki's mom teaching Saki about sex? Is this in the novel? lol

Parents should play an active role in providing sexual education to their children. In fact I hope the same can happen in our world too - sex education should not be left entirely to school or for the kids to find out by themselves.

I wonder where was the announcement of this change? Or we are seeing yet another case of changes made that impacted users but not communicated to them?

As much as I have a bunch of information to share about anime announced recently I cannot share it in news board, and the anime series is too disorganized and chaotic to share information except with people already interested in the particular series.
Oct 27, 2012 4:21 PM

Apr 2012
symbv said:
Zeally said:

Parents should play an active role in providing sexual education to their children. In fact I hope the same can happen in our world too - sex education should not be left entirely to school or for the children to find out by themselves.

I agree but it seems like their parents wanted to hide everything away from Saki, including the functions of the Shinsekai yori world and the society they live in (which i find really interesting and the reason it compels me to watch this anime).

Oct 27, 2012 4:29 PM
Sep 2011
My God:

deave112Oct 27, 2012 4:39 PM
Oct 27, 2012 4:33 PM

Jun 2009
deave112 said:
My God:

What's this about?

And spoiler your large image.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 27, 2012 4:35 PM

Sep 2012
AirStyles said:

I'm not really bothered, but when it happened, I felt like it came a bit out of nowhere, and I'm sure I would have accepted it better with more hint in the 3 first episode. Anyway, it's not a big deal and symbv's explanations for that make some sense.
Oct 27, 2012 4:41 PM
Sep 2011
AirStyles said:
deave112 said:
My God:

What's this about?

It's No. 6 all over again!

No. 6 is this show http://myanimelist.net/anime/10161/No.6
Oct 27, 2012 4:45 PM

Jun 2009
deave112 said:
AirStyles said:
deave112 said:
My God:

What's this about?

Sorry, I don't get it...

Are you saying the story is a rip off?
Are you saying the director is screwing this up like he did No. 6?
Are you saying the character design are similar?

in short

Get, to, the, point.
Oct 27, 2012 4:47 PM

Jan 2012
AirStyles said:
deave112 said:
AirStyles said:
deave112 said:
My God:

What's this about?

Sorry, I don't get it...

in short

Get, to, the, point.

I think they are saying that the plots are very similar.
Oct 27, 2012 4:51 PM
Sep 2012
The animation, i thought it only my imagination. So it really bad LOL
The pacing really bad. Maybe they want to time skip as fast as possible so we can got proper SEX scene :D
Oct 27, 2012 4:53 PM
Sep 2011
AirStyles said:
deave112 said:
AirStyles said:
deave112 said:

Sorry, I don't get it...

in short

Get, to, the, point.

There are many similarities, from the characters design to story to the relationships.

Even some of the same voice actors in similar roles.

I'm not saying it's a rip-off, though. Just a coincidence.
Oct 27, 2012 4:57 PM

Apr 2012
SetsukoHara said:
AirStyles said:

Yea I'm not bothered by this story wise since they did explain it, it just bothers me on a personal level so it's just a personal opinion XD. I still think the anime is gonna be great regardless!

Oct 27, 2012 5:02 PM

Apr 2012
HongISfirE said:
The animation, i thought it only my imagination. So it really bad LOL
The pacing really bad. Maybe they want to time skip as fast as possible so we can got proper SEX scene :D

yea there was all types of weird about this episode lol

Oct 27, 2012 5:19 PM

May 2010
the scene when Saki and Satoru was alone together makes me think that "aren't they a little bit too young to be doing that ?!"
Oct 27, 2012 5:19 PM

Oct 2010
If i understand it right , they learn sex from their parents and school. They do it a lot but she stops doing it just because a library told them that they are like bonobos and she denies it ? or im mixing anime and novel together?

Oct 27, 2012 5:24 PM

Jun 2009
MyAmy said:
the scene when Saki and Satoru was alone together makes me think that "aren't they a little bit too young to be doing that ?!"

It's perfectly normal for their society.

Different country, different culture, different custom, different rules.
Oct 27, 2012 5:33 PM

Apr 2012
yellowwolf said:
If i understand it right , they learn sex from their parents and school. They do it a lot but she stops doing it just because a library told them that they are like bonobos and she denies it ? or im mixing anime and novel together?

the anime doesn't indicate anything about their parents or school teaching them about sex. If anything they seem to be hiding most of the functions of society away from their children. I'm assuming this is how they are built as explained by the library. (high stress makes you horny impulse) I still think it's a wishy washy explanation though. Maybe the novel is better at explaining this

Oct 27, 2012 6:27 PM

Jul 2012
walk said:
LOLOLOL saki is such a tease omg. "i'll do it, stay still. wait no nvm --"

Lmao that was the biggest tease. Geez a bunch of horny kids huh. Also the having sex once they get stressed is pretty funny imo.
Like the above poster it's just weird to have sex because you get stressed a little , I know in real life people have sex when their stressed but its not like that all the time and when you have sex under stress its just not as good. Plus your partner may not be so willing. In the anime both people just randomly get horny.
Although I think Satoru is the best of the group I bet she wouldn't have stopped herself if it was the Shun that's for sure.
Very thrilling episode though however it's easy to get lost in this anime if you didn't pay attention to details being said.
Also I can see the decrease in animation which is a shame
Amon-RawOct 27, 2012 6:30 PM
Oct 27, 2012 6:36 PM

Nov 2008
walk said:
... is it just me or does the art style look different
all the characters look slightly older and taller

I have to agree. At times I felt like Satoru and Shun looked mischievous, or like they were up to something bad...I don't know it was just weird throughout the whole episode, although surprisingly it did not keep me from enjoying it : )
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Oct 27, 2012 6:38 PM

Jul 2012
SephiriAzure said:
walk said:

I have to agree. At times I felt like Satoru and Shun looked mischievous, or like they were up to something bad...I don't know it was just weird throughout the whole episode, although surprisingly it did not keep me from enjoying it : )

Lol that's what I thought like about Satoru this episode I thought he was up to something....he looked like a villian and I thought he was going to rape her...turned out they were both horny
Oct 27, 2012 6:46 PM
Sep 2011
Amon-Raw said:
walk said:
LOLOLOL saki is such a tease omg. "i'll do it, stay still. wait no nvm --"

Although I think Satoru is the best of the group I bet she wouldn't have stopped herself if it was the Shun that's for sure.

But she likes Satoru TOO!

And in the novel she only stopped because of the rat.
Oct 27, 2012 6:56 PM

Feb 2012
So the animation really did degrade... good thing next episode looks like it'll turn back to normal.

Yumekichi11 said:
But she did do something in the spoiler

I lol'd :D
Oct 27, 2012 7:00 PM
Jun 2012
Despite the WTF animation, I liked it. It was by no stretch as good as the last 4 episodes, but had a shipping eureka, and was disturbed at certain parts, which I think was the whole point.
And the sexing
No
Just no
Oct 27, 2012 7:05 PM

Jul 2012
captchaluff said:
Despite the WTF animation, I liked it. It was by no stretch as good as the last 4 episodes, but had a shipping eureka, and was disturbed at certain parts, which I think was the whole point.
And the sexing
No
Just no

I just read a whole bunch of spoilers drop this now if the sexing is a problem
Oct 27, 2012 7:18 PM

Apr 2012
Conclusion: Saki is a whore

Oct 27, 2012 7:20 PM

Sep 2012
What are people talking about a sex scene? There was an out of the blue awkward hugging scene, that ended before anything even happened. That's all that I saw. They didn't even take anything off!

This episode was just...I don't even know. Like it got hella confusing with the random events that were barely given explanation. It seemed like they tried to cram as much action into the episode as possible.

Explosion! Monk dead(?)! Kids mostly calm for some reason. Queerrats! Stand our ground! Attacking! Running! Falling! Sitting and hugging! Captured! Awkward sudden intimacy! Explosion! Running! Random Queerrat that they follow! Ugly boob queen! Help us fight this war! No! Wake up! Attack of the purple gas! Running! Explosion! Sky! Not sky? Stab it! Leaking! Collapse! End.

Like is it just me, or was anybody else saying things like, "huh?" or "what the hell?" throughout the episode?

And not to mention the animation quality drop.

This has probably already been asked, so I apologize, but is there anywhere I can read the novel translated? Like this story is really interesting, and I like the anime (besides this rather confusing and disappointing episode), but I would like to have the events a little bit more explained, not just thrown together.
Oct 27, 2012 7:27 PM

Jun 2011
I read only the first 5 pages (~-_-)~
This series is discussed very quickly. I agree with everyone about the animation. Also, there were many things that confused me. I hope everything come back to normal next week.
Oct 27, 2012 7:33 PM

Apr 2009
walk said:

So I was not the only one to notice they look older and taller somehow. My mind was registering maybe they matured a bit (in less than a day and only several hours duration) after all that revelation. Then we got a little bit of sexual tension. LOL

Perhaps the reality of how their society function hasn't sink in yet, last time it was just Shun who was really asking the relevant questions on mobile archive.
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Oct 27, 2012 8:00 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
-MgZ_ said:
What's with the mother fucking massive animation quality drop?

Like seriously.

Also, WTF censors and they modified all the scenes from the novel. WTF A-1? WTF?
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Oct 27, 2012 9:50 PM

Jul 2012
God! Oh my god! This anime is definitely first class! SAO? fuck it! this is at least ten times better!
Oct 27, 2012 9:51 PM

Jun 2007
I wouldn't say the quality dropped. There's more straight lines in this art style. The quality was similar to Casshern or Kemono no Sou-ja Erin.

The story also jumped around way more than expected. I haven't read the novel so I don't know how it was supposed to go but for me the pacing was way too fast. Sure, I understand what's going on but it just feels like it's happening way too fast and way too sudden.
Oct 27, 2012 9:55 PM

Jul 2012
Grr, Why are you all complaining about the animation? I liked it. This gave the anime a mysterious vibe.
Oct 27, 2012 9:56 PM

Jun 2009
Rykee said:
Grr, Why are you all complaining about the animation? I liked it. This gave the anime a mysterious vibe.

I don't agree.

And Japan don't either, this particular episode have incite over 4000 comments of hate. (Last I check more than 6 hours ago)

At least I can rest easy knowing the egotistical, pretentious episode director gets the hate he deserved and will probably never toy with another show again.

To think that they still haven't learn from TTGL episode 4's example.
Oct 27, 2012 9:56 PM

Mar 2012
This was an excellently intense, emotionally complex episode that was unfortunately diminished by it’s flawed execution and incoherent storytelling. Due to the poor direction and editing, the pacing was a bit too scattered and inconsistent. On the other hand, in terms of the continuing narrative, this episode was as immensely satisfying as those that have preceded it.

The most intriguing development from the episode is that two queerat colonies, the native Robber Fly Colony and the foreign Ground Spider Colony, are warring against one another, and that the Robber Fly Colony is losing. Their imminent plight is a sympathetic one, since Squealer indicated that their tribe, should they lose, would be punished with an unending slavery; an existence of cruel suffering. It appears likely that a sizable portion of the furtherance of the developing narrative will directly involve this war that Saki and Satoru have unwittingly, yet irrevocably entangled themselves in; a war that will potentially influence their lives in a significant fashion. It was rather surprising, though not entirely unexpected, that a queerat appeared who could be understood by Saki and Satoru, since he speaks their language. It will be interesting to see if an explanation is given to provide a reason for his seemingly unique ability. Though I could be forgetting some previously revealed information, this could potentially be a result of the temporary removal of their Cantus.

My favorite sequence involved the affectionate interactions between Saki and Satoru. There was a sort of awkward tranquility in these scenes that is entirely isolated from the rest of the episode. These complicated moments of intimacy were portrayed excellently, subtly illustrating a struggle between logical restraint and an awakened desire for sexual exploration. There was a purposeful, but nuanced incoherence that essentially illuminated the plethora of divergent, chaotic emotions that both Satoru and Saki felt. Another terrific scene was Saki and Satoru’s encounter with the queen at the bottom of the queerat nest. This entire sequence was suffused with a visual disorientation that was rather effective in evoking a sense of suspenseful dread. The final scene, though rather difficult to fully understand, seemed to imply, following Satoru’s piercing of a particularly flexible cave wall and the organic substance that subsequently emanated from the crack, that the cave partially collapsed.

Saki's complex, intuitive characterization was evident throughout, particularly in her intimate interactions with Satoru, as, after she’s haunted by their growing similarity to the bonobos, she refrains from attempting to oblige her temporary curiosity. The interactions between Saki and Satoru were particularly great, and, as they're effectively isolated from the others, this allows for a deeper level of development between them, since, rather than the playful hostility that typically occurred, their interactions are no longer devoid of sentiment and emotion. There was also a significant amount of interesting character development, particularly in regards to Satoru, who’s shown to be considerably capable and useful, highlighted most notably throughout the latter half of the episode, in which he killed the queerat who guarded their cage and created an explosion that partially destroyed the cave. Aside from those two, I love the manner in which Shun is being gradually depicted as an occasionally callous individual, constantly aware of inherent danger, yet fully willing to indulge his curiosity for risk, seemingly without much of an inclination for sympathy, as, in these fleeting moments, he can become unaware of the others. Perhaps this minutia of foreboding characterization foreshadows an eventual descent into darkness.

Yamauchi's surrealistic direction was definitely the weakest element of the episode. There was a noticeable lack of restraint, particularly when it came to the close-ups, which, by themselves, are rather excellent in their ability to effectively portray the complexity of various emotions, but they were considerably overused. His unique style would likely complement a brief sequence, such as the historical preludes that opened earlier episodes, wonderfully, but, as it is, stretching it over an entire episode was an obvious mistake, since it really doesn't lend itself to narrative coherency. There was also some rather poor editing and scene transitions were far too confusing much of the time, faltering into this unfortunate disconnect between shots during a plethora of important sequences. Although there was, perhaps, a heightened level of tension, the action was handled with a chaotic touch that, for the most part, missed the mark completely, due largely to the over-abundance of close-ups.

This episode was visually fantastic, establishing an atmosphere that perfectly complemented the unsettling, claustrophobic nature of the episode. The background art was beautifully varied and visually striking. It was a decidedly unique aesthetic, but I felt that it worked quite well. The animation, however, was disappointingly inconsistent and stiff. I also wasn’t particularly fond of the altered character designs, as, unlike the usual designs, they’re not nearly as well-suited for motion. Musically, the episode was rather satisfying, though there were several selections that weren’t as impressive as the others, but, thankfully, none that were especially jarring.

All in all, despite a temporary decline in execution, From the New World remains an exceptionally well-written tale of naïve children becoming lost in the unprotected edges of their strange, desolate society. I’m really looking forward to the next episode, since the preview suggests that, once again, the story will focus on Saki and Satoru's experiences, as they try to escape, potentially assisting in the war against the foreign queerat colony. I'm also hoping that we‘ll find out what happened to the others.
Oct 27, 2012 10:27 PM

Apr 2012
Lelouch22 said:
This was an excellently intense, emotionally complex episode that was unfortunately diminished by it’s flawed execution and incoherent storytelling. Due to the poor direction and editing, the pacing was a bit too scattered and inconsistent. On the other hand, in terms of the continuing narrative, this episode was as immensely satisfying as those that have preceded it.

The most intriguing development from the episode is that two queerat colonies, the native Robber Fly Colony and the foreign Ground Spider Colony, are warring against one another, and that the Robber Fly Colony is losing. Their imminent plight is a sympathetic one, since Squealer indicated that their tribe, should they lose, would be punished with an unending slavery; an existence of cruel suffering. It appears likely that a sizable portion of the furtherance of the developing narrative will directly involve this war that Saki and Satoru have unwittingly, yet irrevocably entangled themselves in; a war that will potentially influence their lives in a significant fashion. It was rather surprising, though not entirely unexpected, that a queerat appeared who could be understood by Saki and Satoru, since he speaks their language. It will be interesting to see if an explanation is given to provide a reason for his seemingly unique ability. Though I could be forgetting some previously revealed information, this could potentially be a result of the temporary removal of their Cantus.

My favorite sequence involved the affectionate interactions between Saki and Satoru. There was a sort of awkward tranquility in these scenes that is entirely isolated from the rest of the episode. These complicated moments of intimacy were portrayed excellently, subtly illustrating a struggle between logical restraint and an awakened desire for sexual exploration. There was a purposeful, but nuanced incoherence that essentially illuminated the plethora of divergent, chaotic emotions that both Satoru and Saki felt. Another terrific scene was Saki and Satoru’s encounter with the queen at the bottom of the queerat nest. This entire sequence was suffused with a visual disorientation that was rather effective in evoking a sense of suspenseful dread. The final scene, though rather difficult to fully understand, seemed to imply, following Satoru’s piercing of a particularly flexible cave wall and the organic substance that subsequently emanated from the crack, that the cave partially collapsed.

Saki's complex, intuitive characterization was evident throughout, particularly in her intimate interactions with Satoru, as, after she’s haunted by their growing similarity to the bonobos, she refrains from attempting to oblige her temporary curiosity. The interactions between Saki and Satoru were particularly great, and, as they're effectively isolated from the others, this allows for a deeper level of development between them, since, rather than the playful hostility that typically occurred, their interactions are no longer devoid of sentiment and emotion. There was also a significant amount of interesting character development, particularly in regards to Satoru, who’s shown to be considerably capable and useful, highlighted most notably throughout the latter half of the episode, in which he killed the queerat who guarded their cage and created an explosion that partially destroyed the cave. Aside from those two, I love the manner in which Shun is being gradually depicted as an occasionally callous individual, constantly aware of inherent danger, yet fully willing to indulge his curiosity for risk, seemingly without much of an inclination for sympathy, as, in these fleeting moments, he can become unaware of the others. Perhaps this minutia of foreboding characterization foreshadows an eventual descent into darkness.

Yamauchi's surrealistic direction was definitely the weakest element of the episode. There was a noticeable lack of restraint, particularly when it came to the close-ups, which, by themselves, are rather excellent in their ability to effectively portray the complexity of various emotions, but they were considerably overused. His unique style would likely complement a brief sequence, such as the historical preludes that opened earlier episodes, wonderfully, but, as it is, stretching it over an entire episode was an obvious mistake, since it really doesn't lend itself to narrative coherency. There was also some rather poor editing and scene transitions were far too confusing much of the time, faltering into this unfortunate disconnect between shots during a plethora of important sequences. Although there was, perhaps, a heightened level of tension, the action was handled with a chaotic touch that, for the most part, missed the mark completely, due largely to the over-abundance of close-ups.

This episode was visually fantastic, establishing an atmosphere that perfectly complemented the unsettling, claustrophobic nature of the episode. The background art was beautifully varied and visually striking. It was a decidedly unique aesthetic, but I felt that it worked quite well. The animation, however, was disappointingly inconsistent and stiff. I also wasn’t particularly fond of the altered character designs, as, unlike the usual designs, they’re not nearly as well-suited for motion. Musically, the episode was rather satisfying, though there were several selections that weren’t as impressive as the others, but, thankfully, none that were especially jarring.

All in all, despite a temporary decline in execution, From the New World remains an exceptionally well-written tale of naïve children becoming lost in the unprotected edges of their strange, desolate society. I’m really looking forward to the next episode, since the preview suggests that, once again, the story will focus on Saki and Satoru's experiences, as they try to escape, potentially assisting in the war against the foreign queerat colony. I'm also hoping that we‘ll find out what happened to the others.

There's nothing coherent about their sudden intimate borderline sex act. There really is no consistency that indicates any feelings for Satoru. Rather there has been a consistent connection between Saki and Shun. Shun is without a doubt the most talented amongst the group, but is by no means emotionless and lacking empathy. If anything Saki is supportive and an initiator/collaborator to their little dangerous ventures. There's nothing complex about Saki. If anything Saki is reckless, has no consistency in her feelings, and this instability is shown with her trouble controlling her powers. Shun obviously likes her and it seems their feelings are reciprocated. The only explanation for her over the top borderline sex act is they were genetically predisposed to become "horny during stressful events" according to the organic library creature.
zzzeallyOct 27, 2012 10:40 PM

Oct 27, 2012 10:48 PM

Jul 2012
My God, the animation made this difficult to watch. I mean seriously wth is up with that. >_<
I really like how this show has the reoccurring theme of genetics and genetic influences, its really interesting.
QuiGonJonOct 27, 2012 10:52 PM

If you really want to fit in, just put Legend of the Galactic Heroes in your top 5 and have it be the only 10-rated anime in your list.
Oct 27, 2012 10:55 PM

Sep 2012
Zeally said:
The only explanation for her over the top borderline sex act is they were genetically predisposed to become "horny during stressful events" according to the organic library creature.

Not "the only explanation", education also plays a very important role, not just genetics. But I agree that the anime does not show much of the education part.

Zeally said:
yellowwolf said:

the anime doesn't indicate anything about their parents or school teaching them about sex. If anything they seem to be hiding most of the functions of society away from their children. I'm assuming this is how they are built as explained by the library. (high stress makes you horny impulse) I still think it's a wishy washy explanation though. Maybe the novel is better at explaining this

I must agree with Zeally that the anime apparently shows only a genetic explanation about the different view about sex in their world. The anime mentions only the scientists making use of how Bonabo monkeys use sex to reduce conflicts in order to reduce stress and risk of conflicts among humans (who are now walking mass-destruction-weapons), but it does not show how education and culture plays an important role in shaping their behavior and attitudes too.

Back to yellowwolf's question:

> If i understand it right , they learn sex from their parents and school.

This is the case in the novel, but the anime is not clear about this.

> They do it a lot but she stops doing it just because a library told them that they are like bonobos and she denies it ?

In the anime, this is a valid interpretation. Saki indeed seems to stop the sex action once she came to the thought about human being compared to bonobos.

In the novel, that thought (that Library told her that humans were taken to be more like bonobos) also came to Saki and she also denied humans are like bonobos, BUT the critical difference is that Saki then went through all the education she went through and thought about what it means to her present society AND DECIDED IT IS ALRIGHT AFTER ALL. But when she was thinking her action stopped, prompting Satoru to ask what happened, and then Saki and Satoru just continued their action. It was only later that Saki noticed they were being watched by the guarding queerat, and here it merges back with the anime.
See how it is so subtly changed to mean completely different thing in the anime??

Also I want to qualify the "they do it a lot" part.
First, they don't really do it a lot like every day, but it can be imagined that perhaps it is something that happens a few times a month.
Second, the "moral codes" do not treat all kind of sex the same. In particular, heterosexual intercourse is not allowed for underaged pair, apparently because of concern about premature pregnancy. However, homosexual sex, heterosexual sex not involving intercourse, and promiscuity is allowed, even encouraged.
symbvOct 27, 2012 11:07 PM

Oct 27, 2012 11:04 PM

Feb 2010
I got over the animation within minutes... so many shows are inconsistent (doesn't make it right... but...)... whatever. It sucks.... but it didn't distract me.

I thought this episode was good.. and entertaining otherwise... absolute craziness.

Looking forward to next week.
Oct 27, 2012 11:09 PM
Laughing Man

Jun 2012
Interesting episode. RIP Priest. Though now that he's dead, are there powers gonna come back?
Damn Satoru, there's a time and place for things man. Well, Saki is no better really
Also SakixShu all the way they don't fit together.
A lot of action and though this seemed like it was directed by someone completely different, the animation kinda fit the episode (dark and intense).
Querat queen looks like a fly larvae. Wonder what they found in the cave at the end (I don't watch previews, if there was any hint there, don't tell me).

walk said:

True. I was wondering the same.
Oct 27, 2012 11:28 PM

Jan 2011
There is too much focus placed on the sex scene in terms of it being canon (or lack there of). The point is still made in that these people have been modified down to the genetic level to prevent the human errors of their culture's ancestors from reappearing in the current time. Whether they had sex, almost had sex, didn't have sex is irrelevant. The shear fact that these are KIDS and they are instinctually "venting" in a very adult act is just highlighting the plot point emphasized in the previous episode. It's like an algorithm built into people which is actually kinda messed up but this is different world, etc, etc. The visual impact of this is altered (you didn't get to see preteen boob?) but the sensual "venting" plot point is present and the progression of the narrative, as a whole, is still intact.
IZEROIIOct 28, 2012 12:01 AM
Oct 27, 2012 11:39 PM

Apr 2012
Hahah, it's like that one episode from TTGL
'A man, that maketh haste to be rich, and envieth others, is ignorant that poverty shall come upon him'. - Proverbs 28:22
Oct 28, 2012 12:31 AM

Nov 2010
WOW, the fan rage is definitely raging. I'm surprised very few are discussing just how interesting the premise is getting.
Oct 28, 2012 12:36 AM

Sep 2012
IZEROII said:
The shear fact that these are KIDS and they are instinctually "venting" in a very adult act is just highlighting the plot point emphasized in the previous episode. It's like an algorithm built into people which is actually kinda messed up but this is different world, etc, etc.

We also need to bear in mind that to them the act is not a "very adult act". It is something normal to them.

As for "algorithm", the anime may make it look like it is all just algorithm, but I would stick to my interpretation that there is a nature as well as nurture component to this.

IZEROII said:

Whether they had sex, almost had sex, didn't have sex is irrelevant. The shear fact that these are KIDS and they are instinctually "venting" in a very adult act is just highlighting the plot point emphasized in the previous episode.

Irrelevant only as far as the "venting" part you said. But my concern is how differently the anime portrays Saki's attitudei in terms of engaging in casual sex for stress relief compared to the novel. In anime she seems to reject it but in novel she thought about it and decided there is no problem. Here how far (and how willing) they are portrayed as having sex is important.

Kenta_Maebara said:
I'm surprised very few are discussing just how interesting the premise is getting.

Perhaps this is already a given to most who come here? ;-)
symbvOct 28, 2012 5:01 AM

Oct 28, 2012 1:25 AM

Apr 2012
So many people complaining about the art...

Sure, it's definitely not their best, but it didn't distract me at all from the awesomeness that was this episode.

Oct 28, 2012 1:29 AM

Aug 2012
Holy shit the art looked like sand inside a vagina said the rageaholic.
Oct 28, 2012 2:10 AM

Dec 2011
symbv said:
Also I want to qualify the "they do it a lot" part.
First, they don't really do it a lot like every day, but it can be imagined that perhaps it is something that happens a few times a month.
Second, the "moral codes" do not treat all kind of sex the same. In particular, heterosexual intercourse is not allowed for underaged pair, apparently because of concern about premature pregnancy. However, homosexual sex, heterosexual sex not involving intercourse, and promiscuity is allowed, even encouraged.

Hm, what about those, who didn't listen to all that crap (codes and etc) and just had sex? How their society dealt with pregnancy?
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Ugly KV

ScuzzyBear - Jun 8, 2023

9 by charlieman999 »»
Mar 28, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Nov 16, 2012

702 by Ryls »»
Mar 19, 12:05 PM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2013

1325 by Xeehad »»
Mar 2, 8:13 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 4, 2013

169 by Xeehad »»
Mar 1, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Shinsekai yori Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 19, 2012

363 by Xeehad »»
Feb 26, 9:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.