Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 31, 2008 11:19 AM

Jul 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
SUBS are out! THANK GOD all somehow resolved! I LOVE THE PROGRESS! Like the way story is going. WANT to see what happens next. LOVE THE BLACK WOLF! Will be my favorite although he might be a bad guy that is apart from Lydia.

OH MAN! THE OP of this episode IS EPIC! It is amazing in itself that A BIG FIGHT OCCURS between Raven and the dark spectral hound! I LOVE THE OP OF THIS EPISODE! The music blended really well!

I loved the part of when everyone goes deep down in the tower and deep underground. Looked a lot like a dunfeon exploring from RPGs. I really liked that.

Huskley appearing was crazy enough but since Edgar did not kill him cause Lydia asked him not too.

The BEST was when Nico called A WHOLE ARMY OF FAIRIES AND BROWNIES! That was LOL! Really nicely DONE NICO!

Then when they meet one who is guarding and keeping the sword.....EDGAR got tricked! THEN ALL FREAKED ME OUT! Lydia takes the sword and then points it towards Edgar!? O_O

Then Edgar orders Raven to something about it.........I though Edgar would seriously hurt Lydia.........WHAT A RELIEF that nothing like that happened!

THE WEIRD part is that when Edgar's blood mixed with sword and Lydia holding it.......transported him to the Merrows kingdom.

THE QUEEN that they met IS BISHOUJO! I HAVE NO MADE THIS WAY BETTER THAN WALT DISNEY! This way better than the crappy little mermaid! This FAIRY TALES ASTONISHED ME WITH THE ART OF THAT QUEEN+the one the guardian.

TOO BAD EDGAR IS STUCK AWAY FROM LYDIA!

GREAT EPISODE AND THINGS ARE PICKING UP!

Next episode FINALLY GET TO MEET MY FAVORITE VILLAIN!

HIGHLIGHTS!

I LOVE THE FIGHT WITH THE OP+MUSIC

LOVE THE PART when Lydia and Edgar are inside the place where the sword is+THE GUARDIAN OF THAT SWORD is amzingly done in terms of art!

Edgar gets tricked+Lydia takng the real sword and pointing it towards Edgar???? O_O WTH?

I though Lydia was going to fight Edgar and Raven+Edgar grabs sword and mixes his blood with it. Man does he GO EXTREME SOMETIMES!

THE WHOLE SCENE OF THE FAIRY ARMY ATTACK with Nico leading was LOL AND NICE!That will teach you Huskley!

THE MERROWS QUEEN IS BISHOUJO! VERY BISHOUJO!

Edgar sure has guts to protect Lydia from her!

SEE YOU IN SUBS!

angel999Nov 5, 2008 4:03 AM
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Nov 4, 2008 5:36 PM

Oct 2007
somehow... i was very confused... but

"boku no yosei"... <3 love edgar.
Nov 4, 2008 10:36 PM

Jun 2007
ya that was a bit contradictory. Didn't the marrow want to be free from that island? Why did they all of a sudden agree to stay and accept that guy as their new master even though he didn't have the correct star :S?
Nov 4, 2008 10:58 PM

Jul 2008
DeathfireD said:
ya that was a bit contradictory. Didn't the marrow want to be free from that island? Why did they all of a sudden agree to stay and accept that guy as their new master even though he didn't have the correct star :S?

Good question........the only reason I can think is of DESPERATION. There are many advantages to keeping a homeland and they mentioned there has not been one Earl like that in a while.

Silaqui said:
That was one confusing episode.

I didn't get the whole part about the star and even more I didn't get the merrows. Why did they accept Edgar as their new Earl?

Nico starts to piss me off. He ran away, when Lydia was in danger and later on appeared just to tell her, that she has to kill Edgar. Someone should kill that cat instead!

Nico being a wuss I agreed and why the hell Lydia was taking it cool with the way Nico was acting....should have better authority.....you got to admit he did raise a interesting army of fairies.

Once all your questions about the Merrows can be directed towards a mutual feeling of tolerance/acceptance and desperation. That is why the whole thing was done like that. About details, that might come later on.

For now these elements as I said, can be taken into consideration because they were mentioned by the Merrow who was guarding the sword.
angel999Nov 5, 2008 4:08 AM
Oops! I appear to be incapable of following Rules 16 and 17, so I had to have a mod change my sig for me.
Nov 5, 2008 1:28 AM

Apr 2008

I didn't get the whole part about the star and even more I didn't get the merrows. Why did they accept Edgar as their new Earl?

Nico starts to piss me off. He ran away, when Lydia was in danger and later on appeared just to tell her, that she has to kill Edgar. Someone should kill that cat instead!
Nov 5, 2008 9:46 AM
Lead Admin
Faerie Queen

Aug 2007
DeathfireD said:
I believe they needed a new master, irregardless, and what they wanted to be free from was their duty of waiting for the next earl... they'd been waiting for 300 years. So they wanted Lydia to be their master since she was a fairy doctor. However, due to the contract, whoever's blood was spilled by the sword got taken away by the merrow. So the only way to counteract that was to have the merrow make Edgar the Earl instead -- then, that would exempt them needing to take his soul. In exchange for creating a new star for Edgar to be the earl, the merrow said she'd take Lydia's soul. However, Edgar stopped her and said "I already have a star" -- the one from his tongue. Thus, the merrow no longer had a reason to take Lydia's soul. You could see she wasn't happy about the whole affair though :P

Interesting episode. I'm glad we finally got to see more faeries and interesting things ^^ I thought the merrow's design was wonderful. Now that he has the sword, I'm wondering where we're going from there.

The beginning was awkward, though. They either should have removed the opening, or had the opening. The song did not fit the scene at all. It was like, "Wheee! We're on an adventure!", and Raven's battling quite possibly to the death with some psycho wolf thing :P Not a good call imo.

Mamoru next ep?? Huh, huh, huh? They keep giving us one liners from him, and I wanna see him! Lol.
Nov 5, 2008 10:21 AM

Apr 2008
Wow, what an episode! I wanted to see more fairies and now there was it! XD
I was confused with the Merrow part as well.. But it was nice to see that they have a new Earl now. And the design.. Awesome!
Can't wait to see the next episode! Things are heating up now! \o/
Nov 5, 2008 11:15 AM

Feb 2008
the animation and fight sequence is kinda chopy. i dont line the overstylezation[sp] they are doing. the story seems good so far, looks like more exciting stuff are on the way.
Nov 5, 2008 11:43 AM

Jul 2008
Kineta said:
DeathfireD said:
I believe they needed a new master, irregardless, and what they wanted to be free from was their duty of waiting for the next earl... they'd been waiting for 300 years. So they wanted Lydia to be their master since she was a fairy doctor. However, due to the contract, whoever's blood was spilled by the sword got taken away by the merrow. So the only way to counteract that was to have the merrow make Edgar the Earl instead -- then, that would exempt them needing to take his soul. In exchange for creating a new star for Edgar to be the earl, the merrow said she'd take Lydia's soul. However, Edgar stopped her and said "I already have a star" -- the one from his tongue. Thus, the merrow no longer had a reason to take Lydia's soul. You could see she wasn't happy about the whole affair though :P

Interesting episode. I'm glad we finally got to see more faeries and interesting things ^^ I thought the merrow's design was wonderful. Now that he has the sword, I'm wondering where we're going from there.

The beginning was awkward, though. They either should have removed the opening, or had the opening. The song did not fit the scene at all. It was like, "Wheee! We're on an adventure!", and Raven's battling quite possibly to the death with some psycho wolf thing :P Not a good call imo.

Mamoru next ep?? Huh, huh, huh? They keep giving us one liners from him, and I wanna see him! Lol.

I actually think the song and Raven fighting WERE GREAT! It gave me a rush in which I was happy and cheering for either to win! It was really action packed! They should more OP like these.
Nov 5, 2008 11:45 AM
Dec 2007
Everything happened so quickly... But still a good and enjoyable episode !

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Nov 5, 2008 12:02 PM

Apr 2008
DeathfireD said:

They made a promise that they had to keep.. And that promise didn't specify which star had to be... It only had to be the "Earl's Star"..
It's a matter of being really literal with the words... And that in those days, one's word was like a contract that had to be kept no matter what..

And I loved the ep x3 I was "wtf?! O.o" with the music but it wasn't bad... It gave a nice feeling to the battle ;P
Now I'm curious about how is Edgar intending to marry Lydia.. Raven said he wasn't joking, so..
And can't wait for the next ep =D And now he has the sword... Let's see what that'll bring...
Nov 5, 2008 2:24 PM

Jun 2007
So, this was a nice episode but everything happened too fast. Im wondering if this will be a 13 eps thing :/

Raven is quickly becoming my fav charcter in the show, some scenes are so LydiaxRaven x3
Nov 5, 2008 3:48 PM
May 2008
yes! more Mamoru in the next ep!
lol I was kinda surprised that got resolved so quickly! I was assuming finding the sword would take a while with a number of dead-ends, but they got it on the first try!
but obviously there's more to this... lol
Yeah, basically the promise was a star, nothing specific, so his tongue tattoo was acceptable.
Lumi-chan said:

Now I'm curious about how is Edgar intending to marry Lydia.. Raven said he wasn't joking, so..

hehe I really wanna know too. Will Lydia fall in love with him/realize her love for him? heehee
this show is definitely interesting! and pretty!
Nov 5, 2008 7:34 PM
Oct 2008
Great episode i like how the story is building the pacing continues to go well they dont do stupid little humor things its a very well done story with action and suspense and it will only get better
Nov 6, 2008 10:44 AM

Aug 2007
episode sucked. Edgar's still hott. Lydia should just shut up and hold him back xD

angel999 - you are amazing!! lol =)
Nov 6, 2008 11:12 AM

Apr 2008
Awsome episode. The opening did fit the fight with the wolf very well ^^

Raven's sense of loyalty is amazing. He's going to protect Edgar from everything, even from himself, and even if it goes against his orders. He proved it by telling Lydia things she wasn't supposed to know...

and Edgar is looooove =3 I want him to hold me like thaaaat
loved when he pinched HER to know if he was dreaming x)

soo *shifty* Edgar is serious. I want to see where's that heading to
Nov 6, 2008 12:46 PM

Jul 2008
sakR9 said:
episode sucked. Edgar's still hott. Lydia should just shut up and hold him back xD

angel999 - you are amazing!! lol =)

I AM TRYING TO MATURE! YES!

Thank you for your comment!
Nov 6, 2008 1:20 PM

Nov 2007
Plot. Who needs one.
Nov 6, 2008 1:26 PM

Jul 2007
It was a very fast episode x__x But the opening was great.
Nov 6, 2008 6:38 PM
Dec 2007
Episode moved to fast. Had to recap a few times because I kept zoning out. And what's with Edgar's strange reaction to Lydia while they're underwater? Weird... But good episode, still. Hoping it slows down a bit.
Nov 7, 2008 8:40 PM

Oct 2008
I loved the OP this time around Raven is such a cool char imo and seeing him fight is always fun especially against a dark spectral mutt

The episode went a little too fast though but i liked that personally I don't think theres a need to drag this part into any more than one ep but I never read the manga for this either

Also screw Lydia's wishes he should've just killed Huskley not like thats so bad anyways

I hope that it isnt really ~that easy to get the noble sword because if it is that'd just be lame... I don't think it is though
Nov 9, 2008 10:46 AM

Apr 2008
Silaqui said:

I didn't get that thing too

Nov 10, 2008 12:05 AM

Jan 2008
I thought the quest for the sword would be till the end of the anime. This is good that it ended till ep 5 and another story to look forward to.

Yeah, I kind of feel the arrangement (sword, star, merrow) was kinda lame but I really like the art style. :3 Bishies...
Nov 10, 2008 8:56 PM
Nov 2008
The subbers are taking too long to release episode 5. I'm suffering. Y_Y
Dec 1, 2008 8:59 AM
Nov 2008
this sucks...i mean..i liked the episode very much..but..i just found out that it's based on a novel that currently has 11 volumes...and i can't believe they're only gonna make 13 episodes...this is the kind of anime i like to go on further...of course they're moving fast..since they have to cover so much story in 13 damn episodes..it's too little..and i wanna read the novels but they do not seem to be translated
Dec 1, 2008 10:03 PM

Sep 2008
An interesting ep. Although I do think that "hidden" character is the real earl but I wonder what his plans actually are.
Dec 4, 2008 9:07 PM

Jun 2008
ok.. i was confused on what really happened... with the star and the who kills who and whatever... oh well..
May 22, 2010 3:28 AM

Jan 2010
Bit rushed imo, but I still like it. (=
I LIKE RAVEN! <3

And EdgarxLydia is win. ^^
Jul 11, 2010 4:34 AM

Dec 2009
So in the end , they saved eachother xD!
Jan 31, 2011 8:44 AM

Feb 2010
Raven's eye was powerful. He just stared and the hound ran away. I really, really love him.

When Lydia got the sword, it felt so intense. Bah... I should have known he's not gonna die haha. About the star thing, Edgar's kinda witty.

And uh, it seems like Edgar's finally achieved his goal. I didn't expect it to end like four eps. So where will the rest of the eps be focusing on?
crimsoncrystJan 31, 2011 7:04 PM
mingling with each other are the flames of red and blue
Jun 24, 2011 12:27 PM

Mar 2011
-Did anyone else have a mental pop up of Celty when they mentioned the picture of the Dullahan faerie?
-Tad confusin ep, couldn't really understand the merrow people's purpose? Ahh well the replys helped alot!!
-Gosh, Edgar's off the fence in my book. Too selfish..his intentions were wrong and I still can't believe he wasn't planning on keeping his word concerning Lydia's father.
-THATS OKAY THOUGH, he got what he wanted, swept the doc off her feet, and is livin the royal life. =_=
Jul 9, 2011 10:47 PM

Jun 2009
Lol with the prev
Yeah ep a little confusing but I hope they will explain all this later.
Oct 19, 2013 9:32 PM
Aug 2011
Damn that was fast, he already has the sword.
It felt like the final episode too.
Jul 26, 2014 8:55 PM

Dec 2012
Yeeah, this episode really felt like it was cutting corners, skipping up to new scenes, and rushed through like a run on sentence in one breath. But at least I got the gist of it and it looks like what I thought the entire show was going to be about has been resolved so soon. But right when Lydia thinks it's over, Edgar pulls her right back in! I wonder what he has in store, him flustering up Lydia is probably my favorite part of this show. I also can't wait to hear more of Miyano Mamoru's character.
Aug 16, 2014 11:57 PM

Oct 2012
i liked the way they handled the opening this episode. having the opening music playing in the background of raven's fight with the dark spectral hound fit a lot more than if they had the regular opening sequence, in my opinion.

adorable OP army of brownies ftw

yeah, the merrow queen was gorgeous. she makes me jealous. XD

the more i read/watch this series, the more i want lydia to get together with raven. edgar has his good moments that make me like him, but i'm like lydia with hating liars, so most of the time he rubs me the wrong way.
Aug 6, 2016 9:06 AM

Mar 2010
Well, that was... really rushed. I didn't hate it, but it confused me at times and I understood only when I rewatched those scenes.
Aug 6, 2017 6:44 PM

May 2010
A lot of weird and confusing stuff happened @_@ Buuut I loved the design of Merrow queen!
Aug 22, 2017 5:02 PM

Jul 2016
Raven continues to be way cooler than the other characters.
Edgar is such a dark character it's weird for what I thought would be a princely type.
The best thing about Lydia is her character design tbh.
Oct 19, 2019 8:28 PM
Sep 2017
Not sure if Edgar really was planning on sacrificing Lydia if he’d gotten the sword first? If so, then he’s lost my sympathy for him. Also getting rather tired of that Huskley dude popping up everywhere. Kinda wishing Edgar would have just shot him when he had the chance, or at least broken a leg or something to put him out of commission. I do like Raven more each episode, though!
Jul 2, 2020 4:29 PM

May 2017
Probably the best episode so far. The fight between Raven and the hellhound was badass. Edgar thinking he had to sacrifice himself, but then Lydia went in and saved him. She even used her ability to come to terms with the Merrow Queen to save him, which was cool to finally see her profession in action, rather than just hearing about it for four episodes.

Edgar came across as charming, meh. And the scene after the credits was funny. Lydia reading the paper about how she's become the exclusive Fairy Doctor to the Earl, but hasn't heard anything about it lol of course she would need to sign a contract and documents, but apparently her profession isn't established enough for that🤨
Jul 21, 2021 8:42 AM

Jan 2021
I wonder.. if Edgar got the sword before Lydia, would he really kill Lydia? If not, how would he be able to meet that Merrows Queen and negotiate about the star?

I had thought that Edgar had wanted to sacrifice Lydia from the start.. that's why he didn't save Lydia's father at first (because he would eventually sacrifice her, maybe). If that was true, then from the very beginning of their meeting, Edgar had planned to use her to obtain the sword and sacrifice her afterwards.

But yeah, Edgar likes Lydia so I doubt he would do that?

Then again, as Edgar said about himself, his life full of lies.
hanakocheeksJul 21, 2021 8:52 AM

Dec 31, 2023 8:07 PM

Apr 2017
I mean, the plot still isn't there, but I can see the hint of one. It's intriguing enough for me to continue, but I'll still move at a glacial pace. It's weird because on the anime I like, I find myself binge-watching like 4+ episodes in one sitting. Though with this one, it's a struggling to watch an episode in a sitting. I find myself zoning out and getting on my phone. I wasn't even like this with Snow White with Red Hair, and that particular anime was boring AF.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hakushaku to Yousei Episode 6 Discussion

angel999 - Nov 12, 2008

31 by LuxuriousHeart »»
Dec 31, 2023 9:44 PM

Poll: » Hakushaku to Yousei Episode 5 Discussion

angel999 - Nov 4, 2008

35 by LuxuriousHeart »»
Dec 31, 2023 9:17 PM

Poll: » Hakushaku to Yousei Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

angel999 - Oct 14, 2008

57 by LuxuriousHeart »»
Dec 30, 2023 12:11 PM

Poll: » Hakushaku to Yosei Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Sheepdude - Sep 29, 2008

90 by LuxuriousHeart »»
Dec 29, 2023 4:49 PM

Poll: » Hakushaku to Yousei Episode 9 Discussion

slayer545-sama - Dec 4, 2008

32 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Nov 5, 2023 1:48 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.