Forum Settings
Forums
New
Aug 18, 2012 12:20 PM
Jun 2012
Hello, after watching animated films like Cat Soup and Angels Egg, and watching series like Serial Experiments Lain and Texhnolyze, I began to look for more series that are similar to those in the sense that they are very "Avant Garde" or "Dementia" as MyAnimeList would call it. Does anyone elese know of any good Avant Garde/Experimental type of anime? Here are examples of Experimental animated films or series i have seen or am interested in Anime and Non-anime.

Serial Experiments Lain
Texhnolyze
Mononoke
Paprika (haven't seen it yet, but am interested)
Perfect Blue (Same as before)
Paranoia Agent
Angels Egg
Cat Soup
Sweat Punch
Genius Party (look below)
Memories (Have not seen yet, interested in it)

Does anyone have any Avant-Garde or "Dementia" type of anime that they want to suggest I watch?
ADeletedUserAug 18, 2012 12:32 PM
Aug 18, 2012 12:40 PM

May 2010
Alien Nine
Blood: The Last Vampire
Boogiepop Phantom
Chaos;Head
Ergo Proxy
Inaka Isha
Mahou Shoujo Madoka
Mononoke
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Cat Soup
Perfect Blue
Petshop of Horrors
Red Garden
Revolutionary Girl Utena
Tekkon Kinkreet
Yukikaze
Aug 18, 2012 12:58 PM

Apr 2012
Very nice list so far.

I would personally urge you to track down the works of Masaaki Yuasa. All of them. Man is an absolute genius at experimental storytelling and animation - The Tatami Galaxy and Mind Game being his finest.
"Truth can always be found deep in the dungeon."
~ Balmung of the Azure Sky
Aug 18, 2012 1:07 PM

Dec 2011
You've got a damn good list going there, some of my very favorite titles.

First off I think you will dig Perfect Blue going by what you've listed. Paprika is great but Perfect Blue has that dark, demented, psychotic type feel to it whereas Paprika is much more dream-like and surreal.

There is also Boogiepop Phantom which is both Avant-Garde and literally has 'Dementia' in the genre label and for good reason. Just the way they do the coloring and the brilliant sound effects creates one hell of an atmosphere unlike anything else done before or since.

And if you really want to get in to experimental type anime and different art styles you're without a doubt going to have to check out Masaaki Yuasa's works - Kaiba, Kemonozume, The Tatami Galaxy, and Mind Game as well as Kenji Nakamura's - Kuuchuu Burango, Mononoke, Ayakashi: Japanese Classic Horror, and Tsuritama. These two directors have worked together often are true geniuses and pioneers of anime and you should get acquainted with them ASAP

Since you listed both Serial Experiments Lain and Texhnolyze, you might want to check out Haibane Renmei as they are all 3 projects worked on by the almighty Yoshitoshi Abe. He was the original creator of Haibane and Lain and did character designs for Texhnolyze. Some really talented people worked on these anime. While Haibane is the least experimental of the three it's certainly a great watch nonetheless.

They're also a few shorts that have managed to garner some popularity, you might be interesting in checking out - Pale Cocoon, Tsumiki no Ie, and Aru Tabibito no Nikki

And lastly we shouldn't forget René Laloux, he was a French animator in the 1970s who made some pretty bizarre avant-garde anime. His most well known title is Fantastic Planet and I'm 100% positive it's nothing like you've ever seen, after all this is French animation we're talking about! He has 2 other interesting titles, Time Masters and Gandahar which are very much worth watching as well.
LayedBackAug 18, 2012 1:33 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 18, 2012 1:14 PM

Apr 2012
I notice your preference toward anime established with elements conspicuously pertaining or relevant to that of a morbid, somber ambiance. With that being said, I recommend the following titles accordingly.

Kara no Kyoukai
Bakemonogatari
Mawaru Penguindrum

And, although this particular advocacy is essentially considered to be taboo among the members of this network community, I also recommend Shingetsutan Tsukihime.

Aug 18, 2012 1:40 PM

Dec 2011
Also here are two more titles I have yet to see that look rather interesting - Kanashimi no Belladonna and Inaka Isha
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 18, 2012 2:17 PM
Jun 2012
Thanks for your recommendations, everyone! I will try to check them all out as soon as possible. Please, if anyone has more suggestions that fit my request, make as many as you want!
Aug 18, 2012 5:42 PM
Oct 2010
LayedBack has a good list. Also look at:

Neo Tokyo
Robot Carnival
Kagami no Genon
Nakedyouth
Sakasama no Patema: Beginning of the Day
A Piece of Phantasmagoria
Night on the Galactic Railroad
Spring and Chaos
Kikumana
Mizu no kotoba (inspiration for Eve no Jikan)
she and her cat
Noiseman Sound Insect
Eternal Family
Tenshi ni narumon (who said 'avant garde' needs to be dark and gritty?)
Yousei Florence
Sep 29, 2012 11:11 PM
Jun 2012
Would soultaker make a good addition to the acant garde anime list? I havent seen it yet, so i was checking here first to see if i should.
Oct 1, 2012 9:52 PM

Apr 2009
I think Revolutionary Girl Utena might fit onto this list, with tons of symbolism and strange relationships going on.
Nov 14, 2012 2:02 PM
Jun 2012
Ive checked out a few here after this post and alot of them were great, does anyone know of anymore titles thag would fit into this channel.
Nov 14, 2012 3:08 PM

Nov 2008
Well, there's Fuyu no Hi. That oe is based off a renku poem.

And Glassy Ocean is pretty interesting.

I can't really forget about Osamu Tezuka's more experimental stuff either. Things like Pictures at an Exibition, Memory (not to be confused with Memories) and Ningyo.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Nov 14, 2012 3:15 PM

Apr 2012
Here's the first page of MAL anime listed under dementia genre (there's only two pages):
[url]http://myanimelist.net/anime.php?genre[]=5[/url]
EratiKNov 14, 2012 3:18 PM
Jul 15, 2015 9:17 AM
Jul 2015
I think there is a question about what we consider avant-garde. While many of these explore psychological theory and phenomena (and are excellent in and of themselves) few of these anime's are pushing the boundaries of how we define anime. For one they stick to the narrative structure. They continue the use of the same medium using similar techniques (albeit constantly improving) to achieve their ends, so really it's more focused on Contemporary Writing and story telling.

In my opinion anime like Fooly Cooly and Aeon Flux(the MTV shorts), Satoshi Kon's work and recently the more digitally animated ones like Knights of Sidonia push the animation boundaries in more interesting ways than series like Perfect blue or Evangelion. They were important in their own time but don't necessarily qualify as the Forefront of the medium.
Apr 3, 2016 5:09 PM
Aug 2015
Ef: a Tale of Memories and Ef: a Tale of Melodies
Monogatari
Apr 3, 2016 7:03 PM
Aug 2015
Ef: a Tale of Memories and Ef: a Tale of Melodies
Monogatari

More topics from this board

» Real Robot Anime

PlasticRobot - Yesterday

7 by vasipi4946 »»
18 minutes ago

» Just Really Great Anime Suggestions

Benassiesto - Yesterday

5 by JoeChip »»
11 hours ago

» What anime has the most messed up evil mc?

Krystopher - Yesterday

4 by Zarutaku »»
Today, 3:40 AM

» Pure comedy anime with no drama, suggestions?

JustSomeone15 - May 11

9 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Today, 12:09 AM

» Tense, exciting Anime with big mysteries?

Fckthwrld - Yesterday

6 by Zarutaku »»
Yesterday, 3:12 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.