Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Sword Art Online (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (19) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 7, 2012 9:18 AM

May 2010
wow i loved the twist. and anime about mmo? thats liek made for me! very hyped for this one
Jul 7, 2012 9:21 AM

Dec 2009
Great stuff for an intro. Can't wait for the feeling of isolation and despair.

Or PLEASE DO THE SIDE STORIES!
Jul 7, 2012 9:24 AM

Oct 2010
Oosran said:
Feels so bad not being able to watch this one live ._.
Damn Tokyo MX, it should be public property.
I know but do know I got myself lots of troubles to get Japanese friends on average so it's a bliss to get back in contact with one of them in Japan. I did not even know he was anime person. He is saying quite a lot excitement in Japan over this. Especially the concept that GAMES KILL and to think twice before you forget IRL shit and die of it such as bathroom or eating.

This anime might instate paranoia or make some people stop playing games but that's of course a minority, however I get the impression it might create some paranoia about VR games maybe.
prismheart said:
tzukimata said:
Nice. the subs are out... that was fast

That's because CR is showing it.

It was okay. The creator of this game is kind of a dick.
OH YEAH! My life for this shit? PLEASE! Never! I would certainly not like to be killed and find out I am dead IRL. So mindfuck it's amazing.
Oosran said:
A, finally got to watch it.
And it's more or less just how I expected it to be. Fantastic.
I'm going to love this show.
Also, OP's great.

Though I can't say I expected them to go that far by the next episode.
OH OOSRAN????? I hear you! Glad you approve of this setting and art.

Now a word from you, how do you think the voices and pacing is so far?

BTW I wonder who gave it 1/5. Certainly this does not deserve that rating.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jul 7, 2012 9:25 AM
Oct 2010
started off pretty strong. was rahter tense and dark i found it. obviously wont see them climb 100 floors in 12 eps ( i assume, hope for more)
Dont bother replying to my posts in forums, dont check them afterwards.

Jan 2012
Was everything I could've asked for! Can't wait for the next episode! Someone lend me a time machine?

Jul 2011
oh wow, that was awesome. i felt pretty thrilled while watching it. pretty amazing start. loved it! 5/5
Jul 7, 2012 9:26 AM

Mar 2010
God this was just epic. The atmosphere and art was so delicious! Seems like this will be a very good show, if this keeps up, can't wait for some action and stuff!
Jul 7, 2012 9:28 AM
Oct 2009
KingCez said:
started off pretty strong. was rahter tense and dark i found it. obviously wont see them climb 100 floors in 12 eps ( i assume, hope for more)

It's a two cour anime so at least 24 episodes.
Jul 7, 2012 9:33 AM

Jan 2012
I am already in love with this series. The art and setting was beautiful. Man I wish it was next week already.
❑ Single
❑ Taken
✔ Mentally dating a character that doesn't actually exist
Jul 7, 2012 9:34 AM

Apr 2012
That was pretty fucking amazing. The level of drama felt just right, I was a little afraid it was gonna be way overdone.
Jul 7, 2012 9:35 AM

Jan 2009
Yumekichi11 said:
Oosran said:
Also, OP's great.

Lately, I've been listening in on Sword Art On-Air (the online radio show with Tomatsu Haruka and Matsuoka Yoshitsugu, the two main characters' voice actors), so I've quite gotten used to those two, and I think they can both do a pretty good job for their characters in SAO.
As for the other VAs, I haven't really heard much from them, except for the "bigger" ones. Thinking Hidaka Rina for Silica is a pretty good choice, and Takagaki Ayahi for Liz is also a pretty good choice.
I think Itou Kanae and Hayami Saori will do their characters good enough.
As for the rest, only time will tell.

Oh and, about the pacing, first episode covered just as much as I thought it would, which is good. Next episode might cover a bit too much though, according to the preview. Depending on how they go about it, that is.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 7, 2012 9:35 AM

Nov 2011

Well, well, this highly anticipated and overrated series is here. I guess it does live up to the hype and what not. Two of the main characters are introduced in this episode revolving around the world of SAO. A certain someone decides to put the players to test in the world and have them "complete" the game to ensure their lives will be spared.

So, far I liked this episode tbh. It has glorious animation, soundtrack courtesy of Yuki Kajiura, and an interesting concept. Asuna (the main heroine) of the series does not make an appearance in this episode so that was sort of a disappointment. But regardless, this series does live up to the hype imo and should be a good watch for this summer.
Stark700Jul 7, 2012 10:20 AM
Jul 7, 2012 9:39 AM

Aug 2011
The episode was fantastic, more than i had expected. Great Visuals, Animation, Voice Actors and Music.
Characters are really good, too, Kazuto who analizeshow to survive and Klein/Cline who wants to help his friends.
The way they "showed" the deaths of the players was imo well done, especially the name which is below Kazuto´s gets crossed-out gave me some wierd feelings.

Possibly the show of the season for me if it maintains this quality.
Also i can´t wait to see Asuna.

5/5
Jul 7, 2012 9:40 AM

Oct 2010
Oosran said:
Yumekichi11 said:
Oosran said:
Also, OP's great.

Lately, I've been listening in on Sword Art On-Air (the online radio show with Tomatsu Haruka and Matsuoka Yoshitsugu, the two main characters' voice actors), so I've quite gotten used to those two, and I think they can both do a pretty good job for their characters in SAO.
As for the other VAs, I haven't really heard much from them, except for the "bigger" ones. Thinking Hidaka Rina for Silica is a pretty good choice, and Takagaki Ayahi for Liz is also a pretty good choice.
I think Itou Kanae and Hayami Saori will do their characters good enough.
As for the rest, only time will tell.

Oh and, about the pacing, first episode covered just as much as I thought it would, which is good. Next episode might cover a bit too much though, according to the preview. Depending on how they go about it, that is.
I see and I agree with you fully.

Now about the next episode and future one, think you can give this community along with some other buddies the lowdown on the LN and parts skipped. The community did a splendid job might I add on Fate Zero.

So I am thinking they will in this series. Now is there any info we should have gotten that was not present in this episode? That's what I am more eager to find out. Time is short on me so I don't think I can read LN, I however would not mind reading short passages here from what was missed out.

I am very aware that time constraints are always A BITCH in animes so I assume skipped stuff to occur.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Jul 7, 2012 9:51 AM

Aug 2009
Anyone noticed how they re-characterized Kirito? In the LN he just went along with the flow, where in this he screams "Im going to survive!". I think, coupled with the fact they didn't mention that one person beating the game saves them all, do you thin they might be going with a individualistic thing or whatnot?

Also, I always wondered from when I read the LN, why don't they just arrest the creator? I mean, everyone knows who he is, its 2022 so forensic technology is pretty far ahead, so they could just force him to free everyone. I'm sure 10000 hostages is reason enough right?
no
Jul 7, 2012 9:51 AM

Mar 2008
Wow, probably the best first episode I've seen for this summer - I can already tell I'm going to love this (as a huge mmorpg-fan xD).
I preferred Kirito's other look, but I think I'll get used to it fast.
Yuki Kajiura does a great job with the music (as expected) and the director seems to know what he's doing, too.
Jul 7, 2012 9:53 AM

Oct 2009
So far so good. The first episode was very well done and followed the LN very closely, in fact I think the entire first chapter was completely animated without skipping anything. If this was to follow the LN exactly then next episode would start at 2 years later and we would about 6-7 episodes until the end of the volume.

But something tells me that it'll go in chronological order with all the SS and the main story.

After seeing the beginning of the episode and knowing that Lyfa is cast, I'm definitely convinced that they'll be stretching this series out so that it'll be only the SS and Volume 1.

That doesn't sit well with me, but I'm hoping my bad feeling is wrong.

Rabadash said:
Anyone noticed how they re-characterized Kirito? In the LN he just went along with the flow, where in this he screams "Im going to survive!". I think, coupled with the fact they didn't mention that one person beating the game saves them all, do you thin they might be going with a individualistic thing or whatnot?

Also, I always wondered from when I read the LN, why don't they just arrest the creator? I mean, everyone knows who he is, its 2022 so forensic technology is pretty far ahead, so they could just force him to free everyone. I'm sure 10000 hostages is reason enough right?

In the Novels they mentioned briefly at the end of Volume four that the reason he wasn't arrested was because
Firestalker5Jul 7, 2012 9:57 AM
Jul 7, 2012 9:54 AM

Feb 2009
Yes, everything more or less that I expected was here. The atmosphere, the music, the acting. Very very nice. And the OP is amazing as well. So far it covered more or less what I expected of the first episode.
Though next episode will likely be the start of the Aria SS. I wanted to see the First Day SS animated though but oh well No Coper then.
Really hope they don't rush it. I wanna see Argo D:
Jul 7, 2012 9:54 AM

Jan 2009
Rabadash said:
Wasn't that because he went into hiding in some cottage somewhere or something like that?
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Jul 7, 2012 9:58 AM

Aug 2009
Oosran said:
Rabadash said:
Wasn't that because he went into hiding in some cottage somewhere or something like that?

That's why I said that its 2022, you'd think that they would be able to find him. The satellites we have now can find people based on their faces in some cave in the middle of nowhere, so why is it so hard to find a celebrity?
no
Jul 7, 2012 10:00 AM

Oct 2009
Rabadash said:
Oosran said:
Rabadash said:

That's why I said that its 2022, you'd think that they would be able to find him. The satellites we have now can find people based on their faces in some cave in the middle of nowhere, so why is it so hard to find a celebrity?

In the Novels they mentioned briefly at the end of Volume four that the reason he wasn't arrested was because
Jul 7, 2012 10:01 AM

Oct 2010
wow could be one of the best anime in a while. Hope it actually is as good as i think it will be
Jul 7, 2012 10:02 AM

Nov 2007
Interesting. There's a problem, which cannot log out.

Master of the game called every gamers to say about log out thing, which related to the incident. To get out from the game, they need to clear all the levels of the game. Then they got into the form from their real life. So this begins the real SAO.

So the game owner was created by the scientist who wants to prove that game is not for fun.

The "friend" separated, and the main guy goes alone. He's strong and wants to survive in this world.

OP (ED for ep.1 is awesome).

Wow, lots of gamers got killed at the beginning of game.
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jul 7, 2012 10:04 AM

Feb 2009
Rabadash said:
Oosran said:
Rabadash said:

Someone who created the Nerve Gear and a VR game that completely revolutionized the gaming and computer industry in 2022. He planned all of this to create the world of Aincrad, down to the very last detail. Surely he has countermeasures against those tricks so that he can continue this game.
Jul 7, 2012 10:07 AM
May 2012
I'm confused, can someone explain how can they continue playing without food/water and sleep(considering that things continue how they are going)?

Is it now what you eat and drink in game affects you in real life?
Jul 7, 2012 10:10 AM

Oct 2009
Jordan_ said:
I'm confused, can someone explain how can they continue playing without food/water and sleep(considering that things continue how they are going)?

It's only the first episode, they explain things a little more as the story goes on, but basically they all get transferred to the hospital and they are given nutrients through an IV. The food in game can take care of the FEELING of hunger but the IV gives them the nutrients they need.

They are also give tubes for their waste, but other that they are pretty much at the mercy of the game.

They can sleep in game and feel rested for the most part... and they can even bathe, though it's nothing like a real bath.
Jul 7, 2012 10:13 AM

Feb 2009
Jordan_ said:

Well they left out that detail in this episode and I'm sure next episode will fill that up but basically, Kayaba had given the world two hours to have the players transported to a hospital so that they can be monitored. They will be forced-fed the nutritions they will need to live. The players though in the game will feel some virtual hunger so they need to eat virtual food there. That's why Kirito said that Klein's hunger will only disappear in the game.
For sleep, they can sleep in-game.
Jul 7, 2012 10:16 AM

May 2010
This is even better than accel world.I am totally up for it.
Jul 7, 2012 10:16 AM

Aug 2009
belatkuro said:
Rabadash said:
Oosran said:
Rabadash said:

Someone who created the Nerve Gear and a VR game that completely revolutionized the gaming and computer industry in 2022. He planned all of this to create the world of Aincrad, down to the very last detail. Surely he has countermeasures against those tricks so that he can continue this game.

He has scientific countermeasures, what he doesnt have is legal countermeasures. No matter the ability of a single individual, theres no possible way he could he able to just flee into the japanese wilderness without
1: His company knowing where he is
2: His family
3: Real estate agents if he bought a cottage
4: The government if he left the country

All would leave a paper trail. And even if he had assistants helping him, there are 10000 lives at stake, if they found 1 person who knew where he might be, he would certainly be interrogated or even tortured.

He says in the LN they must be eating through a tube in real life, although this is bullocks, because they cannot leave their computers. Theres no way they wheeled in 10000 machines into private households.
SenzuraJul 7, 2012 10:19 AM
no
Jul 7, 2012 10:17 AM

Oct 2008
Pretty good first episode, I hope it lives to my expectations.

Btw, that's hardcore gaming :P
Jul 7, 2012 10:18 AM

Feb 2008
Well, I knew I wouldn't see Asuno yet in this episode, I was very impressed of the anime comparing of the bad manga art.
I have recently also begin reading the novel so I don't miss anything.
Even if SAO will be a 2nd reality I rather want to be in the game and reality O_o.

We also saw Kirito died when he was a beta testers, that Cline also had hard time to kill.
So we could see a reason why everyone died so easily even more beta testere died.
I guess most of the beta testers is the one that survive those 2 years.
Yes it will probably be a time skip the same as manga.

This VR MMORPG Sword Art Online is definely interesting game, the system and the grapical.
I see you can choose a female character in this game when you are male in reality, the changes was funny when everyone look into mirror.
I know about the voice features that was add in the game and so on, pretty cool.
I wonder what will happend if they never pick up the mirror item.

Nowadays why play female character in Virtual game?
I can watch myself in a girl body with a skirt lol and with a girl voice.

The farawell with Cline was sad, and the ending when we could see the stone were all people died.

I can't wait for Kirito x Asuno ^_^

Nothing ventured, nothing gained (Girls und Panzer der Film ) / from Nishizumi Miho

Jul 7, 2012 10:20 AM
Sep 2009
Oh, first show this summer that is probably worth watching. Probably...
Jul 7, 2012 10:23 AM

Oct 2011
Oh gosh, that "tutorial" was done perfectly! It was exactly how I pictured it when I was reading the light novel.
Gotta love the extra tidbits though, like when that girl/.guy couple changed after they pulled out their mirrors. Just...... XD
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 7, 2012 10:25 AM

Feb 2009
Rabadash said:
belatkuro said:
Rabadash said:
Oosran said:
Rabadash said:

He has scientific countermeasures, what he doesnt have is legal countermeasures. No matter the ability of a single individual, theres no possible way he could he able to just flee into the japanese wilderness without
1: His company knowing where he is
2: His family
3: Real estate agents if he bought a cottage
4: The government if he left the country

All would leave a paper trail. And even if he had assistants helping him, there are 10000 lives at stake, if they found 1 person who knew where he might be, he would certainly be interrogated or even tortured.
Do you really think Kayaba didn't take everything into account when creating this scenario? Surely he did as this is his final work and wants to see it be completed(i.e., reach 100th floor) so any countermeasures to stop his project, he probably made sure to have it all covered. After all, he is the genius who created the Nerve Gear that taps into the brain's signals and makes the player feel he is in the game.
Jul 7, 2012 10:25 AM
Aug 2011
Another one of my high expectation shows for this season and episode 1 was done right.
The backgrounds are so nice as well.

It's Mutta in an MMORPG! Though, seriously A-1 Pictures has been doing well so far this year.
Jul 7, 2012 10:27 AM
Sep 2010
The show is simply amazing and scary at the same time, players have to clear the game before logging out thats interesting.
Jul 7, 2012 10:28 AM
May 2012
Firestalker5 said:
Jordan_ said:

It's only the first episode, they explain things a little more as the story goes on, but basically they all get transferred to the hospital and they are given nutrients through an IV. The food in game can take care of the FEELING of hunger but the IV gives them the nutrients they need.

They are also give tubes for their waste, but other that they are pretty much at the mercy of the game.

They can sleep in game and feel rested for the most part... and they can even bathe, though it's nothing like a real bath.

Yeah, I figured they would go into more detail later on, but I was just too curious to wait. :p

Anyways thanks for the answer. :)
Jul 7, 2012 10:29 AM

Mar 2012
I love it!

Kore wa genjutsu da! *-*
Jul 7, 2012 10:29 AM

Aug 2009
Do you really think Kayaba didn't take everything into account when creating this scenario? Surely he did as this is his final work and wants to see it be completed(i.e., reach 100th floor) so any countermeasures to stop his project, he probably made sure to have it all covered. After all, he is the genius who created the Nerve Gear that taps into the brain's signals and makes the player feel he is in the game.

With the explanation given, it's 100% unreasonable. to many hurdles to cover.
no
Jul 7, 2012 10:32 AM

Sep 2008
Now that's an interesting premise.

But one thing bothers me. In the future MMORPGs won't have respawnable monster areas? Really? Or is it just that he fears too many people will be there so they won't be able to farm? But he also said there's limited amount of gold and exp they can farm, so it should be the first. Hmmm, and maybe I'm just overthinking it.

Eagerly waiting for more. So far best opening series this season for me.
Jul 7, 2012 10:34 AM
Sep 2011
Kirito reacted rather upset when he learned that Klein had some friends that were also online at the same time and rejected the offer to get introduced to them. This and his obsession with SAO indicate that he is probably quite asocial in reality and seeked a way to compensate for his lack of social life with success in the virtual world. Though that are just assumptions for now...

Anyway, I'm glad I dropped Accel World since SAO seems to have an even bigger budget and the better story out of the two worksby Kawahara with a similar setting.

So far, SAO is off to a great start though I'm still hesitant to call it the best of the season just yet with the mature Natsuyuki Rendezvous and the potential sleeper hit Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita airing at the same time.
Jul 7, 2012 10:37 AM

Apr 2012
nina4life said:

But one thing bothers me. In the future MMORPGs won't have respawnable monster areas? Really? Or is it just that he fears too many people will be there so they won't be able to farm? But he also said there's limited amount of gold and exp they can farm, so it should be the first. Hmmm, and maybe I'm just overthinking it.

Ofc the monsters respawn, you could even see some of the spawning. But 10k ppl competing over a few monsters, it would surely be hard to kill anything, no matter how fast they respawn.
Jul 7, 2012 10:38 AM

Mar 2011
Yup so far so good
Love the ending(opening) sequence

The only wish I need is for them not to mess up w/ the remaining episode

Jul 7, 2012 10:40 AM

Oct 2009
nina4life said:

Basically there will be too many people hunting the newbie areas and the monsters will killed as soon as they spawn. What he meant by 'limited' is that with all those people attacking mobs at the same time the exp and gold won will be slow coming.

Essentially as long as there is mobs the exp and gold will be there, but with all the people killing them so fast the exp and gold will be limited. Moving to a less populated place and leveling will make things easier since you'll have the mobs to yourself and relative "all-you-can-eat" exp and gold bonanza.
Jul 7, 2012 10:42 AM

Sep 2008
One more comment though (yes, I could have edited last one, but what the heck).

What's the point of giving spoilers of what's about to happen and what happened in the novel? WITHOUT USING SPOILER TAGS.

Seriously, first episode and I already know love interest (true, it may be obvious as soon as she comes, but hell, there could be more girls as far as I know) and an event that's going to happen.

WHY, WHY, WHY do people keep throwing spoilers in anime discussion boards long before things happen? Sigh. Oh well, after 4 years here I should've become accustomed to that, but it still pisses me off so much. Especially when it's a really good anime (or at least promising one).

Is it so hard to use spoiler tags? Is it?

Hell, I still never used report button, I wonder if it does anything.

Anyway, sorry for the rage.
Jul 7, 2012 10:43 AM
Oct 2011
That was definitely interesting, the best part was that the game is an RPG without magic. The animation was great too, although I'm not really into these types of character designs but still was enjoyable. Good to see there's a show worth watching this summer.

parfaited said:
..seriously A-1 Pictures has been doing well so far this year.
Definitely, let's hope they're gonna continue with the good animation, I have high expectations for Magi this fall, I hope they won't ruin it like they did with Fairy Tail.
Jul 7, 2012 10:43 AM
Apr 2012
Very nice episode

Full impression here - http://goani.me/sword-art-online-episode-1/
Jul 7, 2012 10:48 AM

Aug 2010
YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I WASN'T DISAPPOINTED...SAO WAS EPICALLY ANIMATED...

I'M SOOOO HAPPY RIGHT NOW I HAVE TEARS OF JOY TOT

Time to watch the episode again XD
Barion-ZaraJul 7, 2012 11:09 AM
Jul 7, 2012 10:52 AM

May 2009
That's what I call an epic start. I couldn't find anything I didn't enjoy on the first episode.

5/5
Jul 7, 2012 10:53 AM

Nov 2011
ricardo241 said:
Yup so far so good
Love the ending(opening) sequence

The only wish I need is for them not to mess up w/ the remaining episode

Same, the song was indeed catchy ^_^
Pages (19) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Dropping while it's still good ( 1 2 )

SIimyBread - Apr 15

64 by SIimyBread »»
Today, 4:03 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 4, 2012

705 by amf85 »»
Today, 3:45 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2012

686 by amf85 »»
Today, 3:18 AM

Poll: » Sword Art Online Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 21, 2012

745 by amf85 »»
Today, 2:43 AM

Poll: » Kirito is the most best realistic character ever created. ( 1 2 )

Zark_42 - Apr 20

85 by LostSpectre »»
Apr 23, 4:42 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.