Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Jun 22, 2012 2:00 PM

Aug 2009
To be honest I'm starting to like Chief Ivica more than the rest of he cast.
Jun 22, 2012 2:18 PM
Aug 2010
InfiniteDestiny said:

Also this, their personalities make them no where near as likable as the characters from E7

Has been mentioned in every EP discussion so far. Lets get over it lol
Jun 22, 2012 2:33 PM

Feb 2009
I thought they were gonna kill off Chief for a bit there

Anyway, this episode was much better than the past few. I enjoy this show SO much more when the girl pilots aren't in the spotlight.
Jun 22, 2012 2:49 PM

Jan 2012
Rykimaruh said:

Your avatar.....
Jun 22, 2012 2:51 PM

Aug 2011
I found it interesting since i grew up in Phoenix and it's funny how they made it look
Jun 22, 2012 2:56 PM

Jul 2010
Watching Ao freak out reminds me of the episode when Renton realizes he's was killing people in LFOs. I bet something similar will happen with the Secrets, like they are really trying to get in contact with humans or they kill humans on sight due to something we did through some misunderstanding.

It's funny how many parallels there are from this series to the last besides the aforementioned freak out for both Renton and Ao.

Jun has that brashness of Holland while Rebeka does have little bit of that sister characterization of Talho in the latter half of E7 but has that mysterious and dark past that Holland have. Cause of these similarities I kinda ship these two together. Anyone agree?

Fleur and the other girl don't have as much characterization yet so I can't really pin them down for anyone. They do kinda annoy me though so I kinda seem them like the 3 kids Eureka had, and I wonder if and when they will become relevant to the main story.

I just wish these episodes would be less episodic and contain more story arcs. The idea that these events are self contained really kills the story for me.

Though this episode on the whole was a lot better, handling the main characters nicely and revealing a bit of the pasts of the two direct authority figures brings in a nice nugget of truth to the all the questions we've been having.

Does anyone Ship Rebeka and Jun together?
Is it wrong for a growning boy to be a sucker for a good romance?
Jun 22, 2012 4:15 PM

Oct 2008
InfiniteDestiny said:
This keeps being unlikeable for me, also i dnt like the whole concept that the world is practically incompetent, i mean seriously the entire country of America is so weak that they need to rely on kids to save them O_O

It's not that the U.S. is incompetent, but that traditional warfare is practically useless against secrets; I highly doubt they could withstand a nuke, but you see the obvious dilemma in such an action.

Zenas said:
Since episode one I've seen way to many inconsistency's with the first season, some that could have changed over time, but also some that actually do not make sense.

But this episode really topped it off with the chief saying "But only children can pilot IFOs.", which only goes against the original even further.

Then we have Generation Blue which is a fixed base instead of flying around(Opinion, not necesarily inconsistent). Trappar dust is nowhere to be seen anymore(Left with the coral?). Nirvash is the only real "human form" IFO left that appears to still "surf" through air, on top of that.

In the end I feel Ao is a good show so far, but way to much inconsistency's to be anywhere near a worthy sequel. Something that saddens me to heart, as E7 was no doubt one of the best anime I've seen.

Possibly this all is a consequence of the large timeperiod between the 2 manga's, as the Ao manga has also started this year?

Is it just me, or do other people feel the same that Ao has a ton of inconsistencies, which make it feel like a sub-par sequel compared to the original? I mean, we all know it is normal for a sequel to be less great then its predecessor, but this is a joke.

Of course, time will tell if it picks up as episodes go on. This is just from current point of view. But I strongly doubt any of this will be changing at any point.

These "inconsistencies" are intentional - this is almost certainly an alternate Earth, separate from the first series (Eureka, Ao, the Scub Coral, and possibly the Secrets and Truth seem to be the only factors bridging these two worlds together). Read through the previous discussions for more detail.

I will say, however, if they don't explain at some point why children are the only capable IFO pilots, then I'll be pretty pissed.

BXRBudda said:

I just wish these episodes would be less episodic and contain more story arcs. The idea that these events are self contained really kills the story for me.

To an extent I agree, but there has been a gradual story arc mostly dealing with the politics and intrigue Gen Bleu has been forced to confront in the last several episodes. I imagine they'll be important for the viewer to understand crises yet to occur, and establish the certain international constraints and enemies that Generation Bleu will have to overcome to combat the bigger problem.

Also, while I understand that Gen Bleu is an organization that (seemingly) exists to solely combat Secrets (also extracting quartz), and consequently must deal with the constant elimination of such, it would be nice to deviate from the formula a little more often, or at least substantiate the Secret problem in some way that either raises the stakes, or adds some twist to the destruction thereof.

Regarding Truth, I understand that he's supposed to come off as enigmatic and powerful, but even I'm starting to get tired of him flaunting his strength without any visible consequence - something needs to happen with him soon, or he's just going to go down as another disappointingly shallow villain.
DangerrJun 22, 2012 4:41 PM
Jun 22, 2012 4:19 PM

Dec 2010
Dangerr said:
InfiniteDestiny said:
This keeps being unlikeable for me, also i dnt like the whole concept that the world is practically incompetent, i mean seriously the entire country of America is so weak that they need to rely on kids to save them O_O

It's not that the U.S. is incompetent, but that traditional warfare is practically useless against secrets; I highly doubt they could withstand a nuke, but you see the obvious dilemma in such an action..

Not trying to burst your bubble but that is pretty much saying they are incompetent, if they can't use the weapons because of the aftereffects then in this scenario they might as well not have them, end result=the world can't fight with secrets so they have to depend on kids as their saviors.....i mean seriously T_T
Jun 22, 2012 4:28 PM
noiz cancelling

Jan 2008
InfiniteDestiny said:
Dangerr said:
InfiniteDestiny said:

It's not that the U.S. is incompetent, but that traditional warfare is practically useless against secrets; I highly doubt they could withstand a nuke, but you see the obvious dilemma in such an action..

Not trying to burst your bubble but that is pretty much saying they are incompetent, if they can't use the weapons because of the aftereffects then in this scenario they might as well not have them, end result=the world can't fight with secrets so they have to depend on kids as their saviors.....i mean seriously T_T

Errr . . . the person you quoted suggested NUKES, of all things. I really don't think it's fair to say the US is incompetent because they won't stoop to dropping NUKES to eradicate Secrets etc. when most other traditional weapons are shown to be ineffective. Considering how large of an area on land a nuke would affect, and how bad the aftereffects of that would be, I can't really see why the US would chance using those. As ridiculous is it is to rely on child pilots, in this hypothetical scenario the nukes are still a lot more horrible in comparison.

And now for the reply I had meant to post before I felt compelled to reply to the above person: I really enjoyed the second half of this episode. Ao's little trick with the pop-up tent was neat.
Jun 22, 2012 4:34 PM
Aug 2010
ah children only pilot IFOs part pisses me off too... Maybe its just an excuse lol. these IFOs arent connected to the pilots head ( like Hollands LFO was ) so they cant really say its cuz the children have some shit in their heads and adults dont.

but it all smells like an excuse to me tbh. considering to what lenghts they would go ( erasing a country ) then i wouldnt be surprised if they only use the children. also children are less likely to uncover any truth behind their actions
Jun 22, 2012 4:38 PM

Oct 2008
InfiniteDestiny said:
Dangerr said:
InfiniteDestiny said:

They have to rely on child pilots, because they're supposedly the only ones who can pilot IFOs, which seem to be the only weapon platform capable of reliably and effectively combating Secrets. It was mentioned in the episode that the U.S. is not accustomed to fighting Secrets, so they didn't want to risk their precious reserve of IFOs against this threat -- at least not yet. Generation Bleu by far and away has the monopoly on the most high-tech IFOs, especially considering that they likely were the first creators of such (Based upon the Nirvash or theEND, most likely). It is for this reason, in the end, that they had to resort to Generation Bleu's help, though it's not because they were incapable of dealing with it themselves.
Jun 22, 2012 5:04 PM

Oct 2008
Raigerzero said:

On the downside, I was confused with Ao's over-the-top reaction when the Options appeared. I believe he has encounter near-death before (or seen others die), so why is so afraid (he should be afraid, but still have his sensibilities)? Furthermore, I am again annoyed with Truth's BS powers. It was bad enough with flying, random explosions, telekinesis, lasers, shapeshifting, and shockwaves. Now he can teleport pieces of land? What can't he do? Also, I don't understand what he wants with the Secrets. He always appears, gets people killed, and does nothing definitive. There is no possible excuse or reason for the random killing. Those he kills can't harm him. What does he do, eat souls or something? The killing is stupid. Also, he wants the Nirvash? What's the hold-up? He can easily find them (as he always does apparently) and defeat them with his superpowers.

I am also wondering about his statement "The Secrets aren't what you think they are" (paraphrase). Is he talking to the characters or is this a break in the 4th wall. I am curious to find out what he means. Also, I wonder why that Secret targeted humans. It seems that this is either extremely rare or unprecedented. Going on with that idea, it also seems that Scub Bursts in the US are rare or never result in the development of Secrets. It seems suspicious a bit to me that the only Secret in the US has such a strange trait.

I think Ao was crippled by fear at the "Options" for a couple of reasons:

1- The feeling of helplessness, as he usually at least has an IFO to fight back, where here, he doesn't.
2- Being part-Coralian, and assuming that Secrets are either born from, or are deeply related to the Scub Coral, he might have some sort of empathic connection to them - sensing their malevolent will to kill him.

As for Truth, I agree; he remains enigmatic while lacking charisma, and we still don't know what personally drives him - I feel it will be answered, but giving us something to go off of would be nice.
Jun 22, 2012 5:10 PM

Apr 2010
This series doesn't appeal at all compared to the original.

They've lost track of what made the first series so interesting to viewers :p
Jun 22, 2012 6:20 PM

Jul 2010
Dangerr said:

BXRBudda said:

To an extent I agree, but there has been a gradual story arc mostly dealing with the politics and intrigue Gen Bleu has been forced to confront in the last several episodes. I imagine they'll be important for the viewer to understand crises yet to occur, and establish the certain international constraints and enemies that Generation Bleu will have to overcome to combat the bigger problem.

Also, while I understand that Gen Bleu is an organization that (seemingly) exists to solely combat Secrets (also extracting quartz), and consequently must deal with the constant elimination of such, it would be nice to deviate from the formula a little more often, or at least substantiate the Secret problem in some way that either raises the stakes, or adds some twist to the destruction thereof.

I guess it's a matter of having enough detail to progress to something different. The politics is a new interesting dynamic and there you're right in saying there is a relationship we need to know before moving on. But when will the backstory stop and the real conflict begin? I'm just being impatient I suppose.

Only time will really tell, as well as subsequent episodes of course ; D
Is it wrong for a growning boy to be a sucker for a good romance?
Jun 22, 2012 6:56 PM

Feb 2012
Are you kidding me, how stupid are those Secrets and why didn't they attack the helicopters?!

I didn't buy it at all when Ao lost it, it just came out of nowhere.

Truth needs to tell us some things, stop that overused hinting and yeah, what the hell is going on with Naru? She was kidnapped, Ao didn't do shit to find her and now that Truth shows up, she is the first thing he thinks of.

BXRBudda said:
Watching Ao freak out reminds me of the episode when Renton realizes he's was killing people in LFOs.

That was one of many moments that pissed me off, seriously.

Dangerr said:
They have to rely on child pilots, because they're supposedly the only ones who can pilot IFOs, which seem to be the only weapon platform capable of reliably and effectively combating Secrets. It was mentioned in the episode that the U.S. is not accustomed to fighting Secrets, so they didn't want to risk their precious reserve of IFOs against this threat -- at least not yet. Generation Bleu by far and away has the monopoly on the most high-tech IFOs, especially considering that they likely were the first creators of such (Based upon the Nirvash or theEND, most likely). It is for this reason, in the end, that they had to resort to Generation Bleu's help, though it's not because they were incapable of dealing with it themselves.

Why don't you just admit that they were not able to deal with the situation?
Jun 22, 2012 9:21 PM

Oct 2008
Zhou said:
Are you kidding me, how stupid are those Secrets and why didn't they attack the helicopters?!

It's yet to be seen if they're truly intelligent, or a completely reactive, pseudo-life-form (something akin to a virus). One thing seems certain, and it's that they perceive the environments around them fundamentally different from humans (or typical terrestrial life-forms, for that matter).

Zhou said:
I didn't buy it at all when Ao lost it, it just came out of nowhere.

I mentioned in a post above for the possible reasons, but I agree, it seemed a bit dis-proportionally dramatic in comparison to the situation.

Zhou said:
Truth needs to tell us some things, stop that overused hinting and yeah, what the hell is going on with Naru? She was kidnapped, Ao didn't do shit to find her and now that Truth shows up, she is the first thing he thinks of.

Ao's done as much as he can to find her within the confines of his situation; he can't very well leave Gen Bleu and hope to find her, with her association to the seemingly untraceable Truth; his greatest chance to find her is to obviously stick with Gen Bleu, as Truth's schemes seem directly intertwined with its workings.

Zhou said:

Why don't you just admit that they were not able to deal with the situation?

Not in a practical, or meaningful way - nuking a secret would be just as detrimental, if not more so to the local populous than just allowing it to raze the vicinity to the ground. Generation Bleu was the only viable option -- something the governor seemed (overly) reluctant to concede doing. One would think though that the ultimate authority would lie with the executive branch of the government, and not that of the state, so that's... interesting.
Jun 22, 2012 10:14 PM
Apr 2009
wow

chief is epic. one of my favorites in the series now (not that I really have any yet)

All it needed was a side shot of the chief standing there while the shockwave went past him, but his silhouette was good enough.

oh, and Ao did good too. He's got some balls with that experiment of his.

Then Rebecka's move with the gun...

Really, this episode had a lot of 'stepping up' to get things done. Excellent

As for what the American military was doing. I saw it as all politics. Nothing to do with trying to beat it, just to get information and diplomacy (at least with Pied Piper). The more troops that were lost, the more Pied Piper would be willing to accept because of their own morals (which don't see to be completely clear just yet).
Jun 22, 2012 10:38 PM

Sep 2008
Just wanted to ask since theres a lot of discussion about Ao's reaction to people dying.
Did any of the previous episodes had him actually witness people dying/disappearing right in front of him? Instead of in the distance or through a screen monitor.
But yea, the recovery was pretty quick that it didn't connect that well.

And to chip into the 'inconsistencies' thing, E7AO's world is more similar to ours in regards to America and Japan. Unless I'm remembering wrong, but E7 did not have any similarities with our world, pretty much a different world and unrelated to E7AO.
atruong18Jun 22, 2012 10:48 PM
Jun 22, 2012 10:43 PM

Jun 2012
I'm just waiting on Renton lolol. I've been waiting for a while to see some sort of picture of him. I mean, he is the main protagonist from Eureka Seven and I hope he gets some spotlight soon... Well, he better atleast have a badass entrance.. *Crosses Fingers*
Jun 22, 2012 10:56 PM

May 2010
with Rebecca is stating to be a love, hate situation, sometime she cool and sometime a all out bitch.

im stating to like the chief more and more each time you can really see how passionate he really is toward protecting those kids

Ao to me is not a likeable lead

1st he's way to badyish, one minute hes traumatized then one minute hes fine.
2nd he let em mess with nirvash something eureka wouldnt let anyone do.
3rd he just has nothing going for em right to make me like em.

can someone explain why now only kid can fly ifo's, wasnt like that in the one, so why flip the script all of the sudden?

i will keep watch just for the series sake.
Jun 22, 2012 11:29 PM

May 2012
Ahri said:
Rykimaruh said:

Your avatar.....

lol I thought the same thing.
and @ dangerr, whenever I read your comments in my head I hear them in pride/wrath's voice. It's perfect

I hope this series starts having some interesting plot events soon.
Jun 22, 2012 11:47 PM

Oct 2008
lilmp89 said:
As for what the American military was doing. I saw it as all politics. Nothing to do with trying to beat it, just to get information and diplomacy (at least with Pied Piper). The more troops that were lost, the more Pied Piper would be willing to accept because of their own morals (which don't see to be completely clear just yet).

That's actually a very good way to summarize the situation, and I love it; goes to show the kind of corruption and bullshit Gen Bleu has to maneuver themselves around in order to get anything done, all the while avoiding to snare themselves into any external schemes that could bring about their downfall.

Vuyo said:
and @ dangerr, whenever I read your comments in my head I hear them in pride/wrath's voice. It's perfect

Haha, I'll take that as a compliment - Bradley is one of my favorite characters/antagonists.
Jun 23, 2012 12:33 AM

Apr 2012
It's time to uphold my promise to provide more juicy analysis concerning E7 Ao. Let's take a stab at it.

There have been many questions concerning Ao's universe and its inconsistencies. I think one way to look at them is from the writer's point of view. As evidenced so far, E7 Ao wants to make social commentary while maintaining within the confines of this fantasy world and engaging the viewer with some mecha action. What messages does E7 Ao want us to get?

1) A sense of frustration imbues much of Ao's adult world like our frustration with our politicians and elites. Truth embodies this frustration. He does what we want to do--lash out at the world with hopes that someone will eventually understand. His actions make much more sense with this perspective. In the previous episode, Truth manipulates Nakamura, the only radical in the Japanese Military, in order to gain an ally for his cause. In this episode, Truth hopes that senseless death of civilians would wake America up to its misunderstandings. Even his attack on Generation Bleu can viewed as his frustration at the only organization that could do something, but is doing nothing.

2) An emphasis on what matters without all the necessary cobwebs of life is best symbolized by the children of the sky. Unlike adults with ravaging biases, only love and life matter for children. The children of E7 Ao are best suited to bring about that clarity to the adults through their piloting of IFOs. Thus, it would only make sense if children pilot IFOs, not adults. What evidence do I have? In this episode, Ivica mentions how the children are the pipers, leading him into conflict, not the other way around. In the previous episodes, we have always seen children, especially Ao, acting against the scheming adults' orders in order to save lives of people.

3) Generation change is crucial for any group or organization to survive and thrive. On Okinawa, it isn't the people in charge that deal with the Secret situation, rather, it's Gazelle and his company along with Ao and Naru that really get to the bottom of this conflict. In a sense, the rest of Okinawa's inhabitants have survived because of its newest generation's timely action. The same is true with Generation Bleu, with emphasis on newer generations. This episode further cements the need for generational change with America as an example. Even though America has IFOs, it is unwilling to let its children take over. As a result, the older generation tried to destroy the Secret and failed miserably. Again, the children save the day.

In addition, I do not believe that E7 Ao is just another Mecha/Romance series like E7. I would also characterize it as a mystery. We have no clue what Truth intentions are; we can only deduce from his actions. Just like in a mystery, we are given characterization of the many side characters. Even the major conflict of this story, what is a secret/scrub coral, is slowing being revealed. Don't you feel that every episode is answering a few questions while posing many more questions like a good mystery?
Jun 23, 2012 1:48 AM

Jan 2011
Ao kinda lost it and gained it backa bit to soon, lol but look at all dat Quakers oats and Glad in that shopping mall!
Jun 23, 2012 1:48 AM
Apr 2011
The most interesting thing about this show is you gotta remember they're not on Earth, the first series was on Earth.
Jun 23, 2012 2:24 AM

Oct 2008
s2012k1993 said:
It's time to uphold my promise to provide more juicy analysis concerning E7 Ao. Let's take a stab at it.
1) A sense of frustration imbues much of Ao's adult world like our frustration with our politicians and elites. Truth embodies this frustration. He does what we want to do--lash out at the world with hopes that someone will eventually understand. His actions make much more sense with this perspective. In the previous episode, Truth manipulates Nakamura, the only radical in the Japanese Military, in order to gain an ally for his cause. In this episode, Truth hopes that senseless death of civilians would wake America up to its misunderstandings. Even his attack on Generation Bleu can viewed as his frustration at the only organization that could do something, but is doing nothing.

That's actually an interesting way of looking at it, and it does indeed make sense from this perspective.

However, I think you're giving the writers too much credit on this front, as I doubt they intended his actions to be as nuanced and interpretive as you seem to be subscribing to. Still, I hope I'm wrong here, as that summarization of his actions really do add depth to his character.

s2012k1993 said:
2) An emphasis on what matters without all the necessary cobwebs of life is best symbolized by the children of the sky. Unlike adults with ravaging biases, only love and life matter for children. The children of E7 Ao are best suited to bring about that clarity to the adults through their piloting of IFOs. Thus, it would only make sense if children pilot IFOs, not adults. What evidence do I have? In this episode, Ivica mentions how the children are the pipers, leading him into conflict, not the other way around. In the previous episodes, we have always seen children, especially Ao, acting against the scheming adults' orders in order to save lives of people.

Again, I like your thematic interpretation of child pilots, and do believe it holds some credence towards their presence. No matter how good of a reason that can be given, however, it is undisputably a tired trope in the mecha genre, and unless it's given a good reason, will only induce eye-rolling from us jaded connoisseurs of such. Thus far, we lack that good reason, or even a reason at all; people are frustrated not knowing the technical explanation, despite whatever thematic relevance it may bear. I'm still holding out on this point, though.

s2012k1993 said:
In addition, I do not believe that E7 Ao is just another Mecha/Romance series like E7. I would also characterize it as a mystery. We have no clue what Truth intentions are; we can only deduce from his actions. Just like in a mystery, we are given characterization of the many side characters. Even the major conflict of this story, what is a secret/scrub coral, is slowing being revealed. Don't you feel that every episode is answering a few questions while posing many more questions like a good mystery?

Regarding the mystery element, I agree: I believe it's actually one of the greatest strengths this series has going for it (as well as the original). A sign of good storytelling is to deliberately give the audience something vague to chew on, instilling subtleties, and not being afraid to withhold from spoon-feeding your plot. Sloppy, mechanical exposition seems to be standard fare anymore not only in the anime industry, but entertainment at large - It's one of the great reasons I'm willing to overlook some of Ao's glaring flaws more than I typically would with other properties, as it has a genuine propensity for nuanced storytelling. That is not to say that it's perfect, however, as it's built a fairly comfortable routine with its monster-of-the-week format, which has stifled other more interesting routes such a story could be told. To be honest, I've been more impressed with the background conflicts and various subplots than I have thus far with the relatively unsubstantiated main story, though it seems it'll be kicking into gear here soon enough.
Jun 23, 2012 3:56 AM

Apr 2012
Dangerr said:
s2012k1993 said:

That's actually an interesting way of looking at it, and it does indeed make sense from this perspective.

However, I think you're giving the writers too much credit on this front, as I doubt they intended his actions to be as nuanced and interpretive as you seem to be subscribing to. Still, I hope I'm wrong here, as that summarization of his actions really do add depth to his character.

I guess the question is whether the nuance we are seeing in Truth deliberate or not? Given the director/storyboard is the same as the one for E7, I guess I'm more of an optimist. At least, in Truth's case, his actions just don't add up if one imagines him as a crazy all-powerful deux ex machina. The series will definitely takes its time in building up Truth (he already has a sympathizer in the under-developed Naru). I just hope he won't become another one of those misguided villains that the main character forces change upon.

Dangerr said:
Again, I like your thematic interpretation of child pilots, and do believe it holds some credence towards their presence. No matter how good of a reason that can be given, however, it is undisputably a tired trope in the mecha genre, and unless it's given a good reason, will only induce eye-rolling from us jaded connoisseurs of such. Thus far, we lack that good reason, or even a reason at all; people are frustrated not knowing the technical explanation, despite whatever thematic relevance it may bear. I'm still holding out on this point, though.

The technical explanation really couldn't matter more. I mean, what rationale did Evangelion or its followers use? Though the trope is overused, I think E7 Ao is using it differently. Though the ultimate message might be to find hope in children, I think E7 Ao is challenging it before resting on it. We have seen adults manipulate these children and sometimes, the very same children act more mature than the actual adults. Remember Goldilocks or Christophe Blanc setting up Fleur and Ao to intervene without their knowing that the footage they saw was fake. I am probably analyzing too deep, but I really hope E7 Ao trudges along these lines. There is a lot of potential, and now that the halfway point is reaching, E7 Ao needs to start kicking hard.

One thing, however, E7 Ao is finding very difficult navigating is its fans. I want this series to find its own niche, one that may be different from the original E7. Unfortunately, fans expect E7 Ao to not forget its mecha origins, thus, E7 Ao has to take this detour known as monster-of-the-week formula to inject some mecha scenes. It's a sad reality, but I think E7 Ao is finding the right balance between pleasing its fans and staying true to itself.
s2012k1993Jun 23, 2012 4:03 AM
Jun 23, 2012 6:59 AM
Aug 2010
Am I the only one who finds it kinda good that we dont know what the end goal is ? Like in E7 we all knew it will prolly end up with renton and eureka being together, in ttgl we all knew simon is gonna become big, manly and save the world, in many shounens ( and all other animes for that matter ) we know what the goal is but in AO we dont.

I find that kinda good... Im eager to see what will happen :O
Jun 23, 2012 5:08 PM

Apr 2011
I really enjoyed this episode very great character development. It would be interesting if Renton was Truth but I highly doubt it.
Jun 23, 2012 5:25 PM

Apr 2010
WOW! Finally this series has the E7 atmosphere :) However, it's still not there yet, and I feel like 24 episodes are far from enough. I love the way it's progressing, though the lack of upcoming episodes is scary.
-Just Believe-
Jun 24, 2012 5:08 AM

Nov 2010
I know this is all fictional, but bringing something up that's very close to history of Yugoslavia and giving it a twist seems very controversial
AO growing so fast as a soldier and pilot in just 10 episodes can be questioned as well

The action scenes were great though
Jun 24, 2012 11:17 AM

Apr 2009
I'm still watching this because of Noah the Sloth. LOL
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Jun 24, 2012 1:33 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Finally a bit of background on some of the characters (Ivica and Rebecka). Let's hope the series gives some more of these so we can get a better grip on the story (which is a bit confusing so far IMO).
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jun 24, 2012 10:56 PM

Oct 2011
ugh well im glad im not the only Eureka 7 fan that dislikes AO ,ugh what were they thinking,it has gotten alil better i supose i had it 2/10 in the begening
Jun 25, 2012 12:59 AM

Jun 2010
I was a huge fan of Eureka Seven. It was unique and well paced. Unfortunately this show is anything but that. I've been watching it patiently, hoping it will break away from it's formulaic episode structure, but my faith has not been rewarded. Every episode they introduce a new secret, develop a character, elaborate on the political situation and drop some hints about the scub. For some reason they insist on following the same template for every episode lately. I swear this is exactly like House, if anyone has seen that show.

I hope they will get away from this episode formula and start to really hammer away at the plot. At least toss us a bone, an appearance by Renton or Eureka. I'd even take that crazy white dog cat thing that Dominique and Anemone took care of.
Jun 25, 2012 1:49 AM
Aug 2011
I finally get what's wrong with AO. In the original series we got a lot of background and personality clashes linked with adult characters . So all the childish nonesense form Renton was just one of the streams. It didn't irritate me. In this show it tends to be prevailing. I'm really glad that this episode showed some interesting flashbacks but it's way too little. The conflicts touched so far are mostly so uninteresting that the show seems to be a waste of time. Still it has great quality and some promising characters, but the're not being developed properly. It makes me sad :(
Jun 25, 2012 9:48 AM
May 2012
I have to agree with the assessment made by those suggesting the political commentary serves a role in the series more so in the way current situations in the political sense within nations where secrets are appearing are usually hindering Gen Bleu's efforts to operate effectively and complete their missions. While I won't go into the specifics for post length, I will say that each secret that appears more or less confirms my belief that secrets themselves are somehow replaying events that occurred in psalms of planets with the new secrets resembling the antibody coralians and how they attacked humans. The statement made by Truth suggesting secrets are not what we think they are gives more reason for me to believe this as well as his statement that human sacrifice will reveal the truth in secrets from the episode.
In the next episode, it appears that either secrets or Truth himself will manipulate team Goldilocks into doing something but as of now I can only wonder what that is. If secrets possessed them then I can only think of them taking out the scub by themselves and their comrades from Gen Bleu will find themselves in a tricky situation as to how they can stop them. I am also interested in finding out how the battle between Truth and Ao will play out. Perhaps Truth will reveal some more information as to what is going on with either the setting or his motives for taking Naru. At this point Naru could be either Talho's or Anemone's daughter given that Anemone was special in that she had a natural connection with the coralians which might be expressed in her condition much like Naru's. This of course applies only if the events from the dream were true.
Jun 25, 2012 1:14 PM

Aug 2009
025 said:
I have to agree with the assessment made by those suggesting the political commentary serves a role in the series more so in the way current situations in the political sense within nations where secrets are appearing are usually hindering Gen Bleu's efforts to operate effectively and complete their missions. While I won't go into the specifics for post length, I will say that each secret that appears more or less confirms my belief that secrets themselves are somehow replaying events that occurred in psalms of planets with the new secrets resembling the antibody coralians and how they attacked humans. The statement made by Truth suggesting secrets are not what we think they are gives more reason for me to believe this as well as his statement that human sacrifice will reveal the truth in secrets from the episode.
In the next episode, it appears that either secrets or Truth himself will manipulate team Goldilocks into doing something but as of now I can only wonder what that is. If secrets possessed them then I can only think of them taking out the scub by themselves and their comrades from Gen Bleu will find themselves in a tricky situation as to how they can stop them. I am also interested in finding out how the battle between Truth and Ao will play out. Perhaps Truth will reveal some more information as to what is going on with either the setting or his motives for taking Naru. At this point Naru could be either Talho's or Anemone's daughter given that Anemone was special in that she had a natural connection with the coralians which might be expressed in her condition much like Naru's. This of course applies only if the events from the dream were true.

Interesting point you got there with Naru's connection with the previous cast. I do hope things go smoother as to explaining what is going, because right now it's just an Evangelion spin off with each episode a battle with an Ang--Secret...
Jun 28, 2012 4:43 PM
Aug 2010
oldthrashbar said:
So Renton doesn't appear in the series at all? I don't see him on the list. Eureka does though apparently. Aren't Eureka and Renton supposed to be Ao's parents or something? In that case Renton failed to protect Eureka again and she got taken by "unknown individuals" while he got shot in the face?

dude facepalm

renton being in the char list would be a HUGE spoiler... they arent crazy to give info like that away
Jul 4, 2012 3:03 PM
May 2012
This was a god-awful episode imo. Terrible beyond belief. I was SO close to shutting it off and dropping the series on the spot at several occasions. Here I will list everything that I think sucked and the few things that didn't suck about the episode.

1: The United States military can't beat a secret and needs to rely on a third party organization that employs only child pilots? No. This is ridiculous and would never make the cut in a million years if I was had a say in it. I was skeptical in the case of the Japanese military and than the "Allied Forces" or whatever they're called but I was willing to pass it off as them not being a premier world military power.

And the excuse? "Oh, they're not used to fighting Secrets! They approached carelessly!". That's a line of total BS right there; you KNOW that every single military power in the world has been recording these fights and having their pilots study them and prepare for the threat.

Also there is absolutely no reason why only children can pilot IFOs. This is obviously an excuse for having the series' main character allowed to join an organization with other child pilots which, in reality, would never exist.

2: Noah derping around in the background every other scene has been old for a while now and is starting to get annoying.

3: Generation Blue (Bleu?) is owned by a company based in the United States, but the United States doesn't know how to fight Secrets.

4: "Our relationship is that of a mentor to a protégée... we were partners." Get your story straight, bro.

5: That guy is in politics, but he's willing to reveal career-killing secrets in casual conversation? "Hey bro, did I tell you the story about how my lie killed off an entire country?"

6: The whole "Pied Piper" name would have been best left untouched. If the viewer is curious they can look it up themselves. I don't need the show to point it out to me and guide me along by the hand as it reveals every bit of possible meaning behind everything. Could have just stopped at "The Chief named it."

7: The United States military is still using helicopters and M4s, but even common Japanese/Okinawan citizens have super advanced trappar hovercrafts and flying cars?

8: When AO sees Truth, I was kind of hoping he would play it cool and maybe learn from his mistakes. Nope; he charges straight in without a single neuron in his brain firing. I wish Truth would just blow him up already and be done with it.

9: It never did explain why the city of Phoenix was suddenly missing when Ao woke up.

10: As soon as the fighting starts Ao comes out swinging with the stereotypical mental collapse. Complete with distortion shots of his face that look so retarded I almost cried. Thank God he snapped out of that pretty quickly because every time I saw that 'scared' face I just wanted someone to punch him in it.

11: Why the hell is Ao walking so close to the windows? I guess he wants to be killed?

12: When the Secrets shot people, they just evaporated... but the mannequins have holes and missing limbs and pretty much got torn apart. This is an inconsistency and is obviously there either because they wanted to keep the rating down and not show blood/mutilated bodies or because it would be impossible for Ao to notice that the Secrets attacked the mannequins (there would be no damaged mannequin, only ashes that would have been blown away by wind through the holes in the windows.)

13: Why does Ao look scared when he discovers that he might have found a way to escape? It's like they played the wrong facial animation.

14: Ao can't just walk out slowly while in the tent or announce his intentions to anybody. No, he has to charge out of the building yelling like a Norse berserker entering a battlefield, throw the tent and hope that it lands in the right direction and than dive into it, almost getting the Chief killed when he tried to chase after him and ensuring that if anything went wrong in the slightest the world would be rid of his idiocy forever. That was nice of him.

And than he pulls the stereotypical "I don't want to see people die anymore" line and stands up in his stupid-looking flight suit (at least he wasn't wearing that helmet... dear God the helmet...) to charismatically address the crowd and announce that he is part of an elite, respected organization that is here to save everyone. I wouldn't be very reassured, personally.

15: I like Rebecca more now, after that prime example of southern diplomacy. With that blonde guy's creepy body language I'm surprised his condition wasn't sex. The guy looked like a pedo too. I guess it's typical to portray Americans as either evil businessmen, conformist Hollywood-style celebrities or fat idiots so it makes sense.

16: Three kids and the Chief then manage to see through to the Secrets weak point and destroy in a few minutes the thing that the entirety of the US military was helpless against. Ugh. Pretty sure I face-palmed a few times here.

17: The violin music that plays during the victory is the most annoying piece I've ever heard in my entire life. It is literally the same 3 or 4 notes played over and over and over and over and over and over again.

The ending theme has never felt so welcomed before. I'm considering not watching the next episode; maybe I'll go back and re-watch the original E7 again instead. Hell I would probably have enjoyed an episode of Bo-bo-bo more than I enjoyed this.
Jul 4, 2012 5:12 PM

Oct 2008
Holobalobalo2 said:

There's so much of what you said that's either only half-true or flat-out wrong, that it'd be maddening to address every single point. Just read over the whole thread, and it should address many of your "glaring" problems with the episode.

People "disappearing" isn't because of ratings; it's shown Truth capping people right in the head at close range to dispel this possibility. There's also been speculation that these (disintegrated) people may not have in fact actually died at all (Transported? Truth even said: "Secrets aren't what you think they are").

As for Ao, he's a flawed protagonist; being headstrong and compulsive is a part of his character, and one that often gets him in trouble - recklessly putting his life on the line for the sake of others shouldn't be terribly surprising at this point. It only annoys me when he exhibits insubordination and it goes unpunished.

I discussed U.S. military capabilities earlier in the thread, so I'll say only this - they WERE capable of destroying the secret, but it was much more economically viable to have Generation Bleu handle the task.

As for the supermarket "moving" from Phoenix, it was Truth that put them out in the boonies with his abilities.

The Okinawans have common access to these FPs because of the abundance of trapar mines, which the U.S. isn't known to have (it was even mentioned that the U.S. has had a pretty big lack of scub bursts in the past, which are needed to mine from).

And to be fair, the U.S. hasn't been the only nation shown to be mustache-twirling schemers; Japan and even Okinawa hasn't been depicted much better in this regard.

The reason for child pilots are explained next episode.

With all that said, I'll agree that it wasn't the best episode - but you went pretty overboard there.
DangerrJul 5, 2012 3:45 AM
Aug 19, 2012 10:30 AM
Apr 2012
Reading this thread I have to wonder if the people who say the cast of AO isn't as likeable as the cast of the original E7 chose to conveniently forget a large chunk of the second cour, where pretty much everyone on the Gekko was a dick to Renton, Eureka was ODing on trapar dust, and Ray and Charles were still background characters.

I also don't see how anyone can say the last few episodes have been boring when there's been more than enough character fleshing and world building, but different strokes for different folks I guess.
Aug 19, 2012 1:52 PM

Oct 2008
fdsfgs said:
Reading this thread I have to wonder if the people who say the cast of AO isn't as likeable as the cast of the original E7 chose to conveniently forget a large chunk of the second cour, where pretty much everyone on the Gekko was a dick to Renton, Eureka was ODing on trapar dust, and Ray and Charles were still background characters.

I also don't see how anyone can say the last few episodes have been boring when there's been more than enough character fleshing and world building, but different strokes for different folks I guess.

While I agree, you do have the benefit of consecutive viewings, whereas most people had to wait a week.

I personally do agree, though.
Aug 25, 2012 3:10 AM

Jul 2008
Okay the character development is good for all...but can I get some plot progression now? Like Truth's plan?
Aug 28, 2012 11:00 AM

Jan 2011
agreed what Ao did was not smart, there are many safer ways to experiment, such as first throw out a mannequin, then throw out a mannequin that is inside a tent

the chief is cool at the end there, however the weakness of that secret is ridiculously big...
Sep 25, 2012 5:21 PM
Dec 2008
this series is all over the place...too bad from every aspect....the ost is the only good thing so far :\ ....this one feels like they just wanted to make a series using hype gained from Eureka seven to make some profit . anyway,
i've to continue it after i came so far in the episodes to see how does it end....
Jan 4, 2013 2:07 AM

Jan 2012
makes me wonder what the fuck was I doing with my life when I was 12...
Aug 21, 2014 3:35 PM

May 2012
Some really nice progress, let's see what will happen next though.
Oct 21, 2021 3:09 PM

Feb 2012
The secrets are learning. Identifying humans by shape.

Ao figures out that they can hide in tents are he sees that all the mannequins are destroyed except the one in the tent.

Interesting to learn more about E7 AO's alternate history world. Ivica fought in that world's equivalent of the Yugoslav wars (so things play out similarly in that regard).
Fortress_MaximusOct 22, 2021 2:05 PM

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Eureka Seven AO Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

tsubasalover - May 24, 2012

156 by waalex11 »»
Sep 12, 2023 7:12 PM

Poll: » Eureka Seven AO Episode (23 &) 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

bastek66 - Nov 19, 2012

433 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 28, 2022 5:07 AM

Poll: » Eureka Seven AO Episode 23 Discussion

Kefkiroth - Nov 19, 2012

20 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 28, 2022 4:38 AM

Poll: » Eureka Seven AO Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

bastek66 - Sep 27, 2012

217 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 28, 2022 4:14 AM

Poll: » Eureka Seven AO Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2012

108 by CrazyButNot4U »»
Sep 28, 2022 3:47 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.