Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
May 28, 2012 7:12 AM

Jul 2008
pika2000 said:
My vote, so far, 1st goes to FF8, 2nd would be FF6, and 3rd would be FF13, despite everybody's criticism against it. I don't understand why everybody doesn't like FF13. I love the stylized battle system. It's actually very engaging and exciting. 4th would be FF10. Contrary to popular opinion, I put FF7 fairly low on my list. Without its supplementary spin-offs, it's actually not that great.

Insanely linear in both gameplay and levelling (even by FF's standards), no backtracking, very poor characters, an insane grind, the plot was poor, even by FF standards, etc. etc. The only good thing from XIII were the graphics -- High Def Snow Beard is so pretty.

On the other hand: FF7 is very well done with plenty to do, plenty of character development, alright plot etc.

My favourite is FFIX, it's just so good. From the soundtrack to the characters. Gah, I have to replay it again.
May 28, 2012 9:06 PM

May 2012
WhichOneIsKirk said:

Insanely linear in both gameplay and levelling (even by FF's standards), no backtracking, very poor characters, an insane grind, the plot was poor, even by FF standards, etc. etc. The only good thing from XIII were the graphics -- High Def Snow Beard is so pretty.

On the other hand: FF7 is very well done with plenty to do, plenty of character development, alright plot etc.

My favourite is FFIX, it's just so good. From the soundtrack to the characters. Gah, I have to replay it again.

Well, agree to disagree.

All FF games are insanely linear. Even if you were given a world map, it's made so that you could only progress linearly. The "linear" style of 13 made the whole package better to me as I can actually pay attention to the progress and enjoy the story. If I want to play a non-linear game, I'll play Fallout. I also failed to see how the characters are "poor." You can say they are more anime-like cliches, but then the FF franchise shares its own cliche of characters.

As for FF7, it has actually very shallow gameplay. Talk about grinding to master the materia. The materia system is also easy, thus many people liked it. Any beginners can play the game without much thought, just slap a materia to the character. Sure, there are linking materias and whatnot, but compared to the likes of 8, it's nothing. The story and plot is fair at best. It's only "good" because now there are plenty of spin-offs to enrich the franchise and even end it properly. I also thought that FF7 was great, since it was the first FF I played. Then I played 6, then 8, then I realized 7 is just meh okay, not as "great" as the common opinions seem to dictate. It is, however, a good FF for beginners for the reason I mentioned above, the easy materia system.

Imo 9 deserves a remake. The art is gorgeous, but hampered by the low resolution of the PS1. I would rather see a remake of 9 than 7. Actually, cross that, I would rather have Squenix make Chrono Break first before doing yet another remake.
May 29, 2012 2:30 AM

Jul 2008
pika2000 said:

Well, agree to disagree.

All FF games are insanely linear. Even if you were given a world map, it's made so that you could only progress linearly. The "linear" style of 13 made the whole package better to me as I can actually pay attention to the progress and enjoy the story. If I want to play a non-linear game, I'll play Fallout. I also failed to see how the characters are "poor." You can say they are more anime-like cliches, but then the FF franchise shares its own cliche of characters.

As for FF7, it has actually very shallow gameplay. Talk about grinding to master the materia. The materia system is also easy, thus many people liked it. Any beginners can play the game without much thought, just slap a materia to the character. Sure, there are linking materias and whatnot, but compared to the likes of 8, it's nothing. The story and plot is fair at best. It's only "good" because now there are plenty of spin-offs to enrich the franchise and even end it properly. I also thought that FF7 was great, since it was the first FF I played. Then I played 6, then 8, then I realized 7 is just meh okay, not as "great" as the common opinions seem to dictate. It is, however, a good FF for beginners for the reason I mentioned above, the easy materia system.

Imo 9 deserves a remake. The art is gorgeous, but hampered by the low resolution of the PS1. I would rather see a remake of 9 than 7. Actually, cross that, I would rather have Squenix make Chrono Break first before doing yet another remake.

They are linear, but they are also given a sense of freedom, a sense of exploration, choice: all the things FFXIII lacked.
Searching that dungeon for the extra weapon, finding that secret side character, exploring the backstory of one of the characters you have, finding that hidden side boss. It's the little things, but it makes a hell of a lot of difference.

You may fail to see why the characters were poor, but Hope, Snow, Vanille... Just thinking about it makes me crave for the cast of FFXII.

The system in every FF was "easy" to pick up, but the materia system had a decent amount of depth. The materia you pick up can easily be mastered just by travelling and doing side quests / main quest. FFXIII? Kill, leave the screen, kill, leave the screen, rinse and repeat. Not to mention that even the levelling was limited.
It's not only good because of spinoffs. It's good because it developed the characters, gave a decent amount of backstory for each, gave you a story and cause you could care about. Motives for the main villain aside: it was great.
May 29, 2012 6:48 AM

Jun 2007
IX and VI, in that order. VII can go die.
May 29, 2012 6:49 AM

Sep 2011
FFIX without a doubt.
Can't say anything bad about it. It's just perfect. Zidane is also my favorite FF character.
May 29, 2012 7:42 AM

Apr 2012
Well i only play Final Fantasy in PSone, I was not allowed the parents to buy a new console T^T

FF7 is one of my favorite games of all times. XD

FF8 a bit strange of gameplay, but romantic story between Squall and Rinoa enough to make me like it :)

FF9 is Great, I played it many times but do not make too impressed as FF7

Now i still waiting the FF versus XIII, when I saw the trailer this game so cool. make me impatient XD

May 29, 2012 7:43 AM

Feb 2012
pika2000 said:
All FF games are insanely linear. Even if you were given a world map, it's made so that you could only progress linearly.

FFVI.

May 30, 2012 10:14 AM

May 2012
Final Fantasy IX. I really don't know the reason why I am attached to this game.

May 31, 2012 9:12 AM

May 2012
FF VI: just the combination of amazing music, story and likeable characters. Plus, I always liked the 2D games better, don't know why...
May 31, 2012 9:20 AM

Jun 2011
All of them below VII. 3D is where all FF games shifted their style to something more overly dramatic and added characters that seem ridiculous to me.

But meh, I have a thing against most modern games, so it's just my opinion.
May 31, 2012 9:25 AM

Oct 2011
I'm gonna have to say FFI and FFV are my faves, specifically the Gameboy Advance versions. I've beaten both multiple times, and just absolutely love them. Also, FFI was my first FF game, so that may lead to a bit of bias.
I see that FFVII is getting a lot of praise, which irks me. FFVII is a good game, but it's not nearly as good as people make it out to be, not to mention the fact that it's overrated. I can't say anything about any game after VII, since I've never played beyond VII.
Time waits for no one...

DrunkenBlowfish said:
Ho-oh, I'd imagine its like a Skittles flavored turkey.

May 31, 2012 8:09 PM
Jul 2018
FFX is my favorite, though I loathe X2.
Jun 1, 2012 3:59 PM
May 2012
FF8, I pretty much grew up on it.
Jun 1, 2012 5:16 PM

Oct 2009
FF IX is my favourite one.
Jun 2, 2012 2:42 PM

May 2011
Favorite? Final Fantasy VII, of course.
Jun 3, 2012 7:55 AM

Jun 2009
I classify my favored FF games accordingly:

STORY - my vote goes to FF7. The game's story itself started the whole RPG revolution in gaming. Everything you need to know to support the main story are stated clearly in the game: The history of the world; what kind of people that lives there; how they survive a catastrophic entity which is still unknown to the world and even to the gamers to where it came from; and how the people were able to cope with changes, even in a corrupt way. This plot elements about the setting of the story will never make you question "why?" "how?" "who?" or "when?". The main story follows through with the rest of the world history. I won't be mentioning anything about the main storyline anymore but I can say that, every conflict stated in the game was settled in the end.

GAMEPLAY - FFXIII and FFXIII-2. Paradigm shifting is quite unique and fun to play, specially on harder battles, (like the blue turtles or the last side mission.) FACT: You can never become overpowered in FFXIII, even if you maxed your stats and gears, you cannot guarantee victory in the game's hardest monsters. Even though everyone's complaining about you can only use a single character and just deliberately spam auto-ability, it will not really help you in harder battles. You must alertly keep looking at your character's HP, buffs and debuffs because it's very crucial in winning. Lastly, if you look at other FF games, it's all about grindfest, and the game battles got boring once you maxed your party's stats because there's nothing left to do anymore.

CHARACTER BUILD SYSTEM - FF7 Materia. Although FF7 is classified as a grind-till-you-die RPG game, Materia system really gives this description a valid excuse for you to do so. Materia system is very complex, that you could almost experiment with every materia you will acquire in game. FFVIII junction is just a runner-up because you don't really need to grind in FFVIII isn't it?

ARCHITECTURE / CULTURE / LANDSCAPE - FFX is unique in terms of it's overall design. FFX introduces oriental style design to it's buildings and costumes. And FFX is the first FF game to incorporate "religion" as a concept in it's main storyline.

CHARACTER - Tidus. Because his not boring. Tidus is a somewhat a cliche of a main hero, his a little immature, but he is able to run his mouth while being logically acceptable is what makes him good as a protagonist, and he really do what he does best. Maybe his a copy of FFIX Zidane, but they're still different in appearance, and tidus' design is more of a hero for me.

MUSIC - ALL except FFXIII. Bow down to the greatest game composer in the world, Nobuo Uematsu. Town themes, character themes, and battles scores are really great. I even enter a town just to hear it's theme. FFXIII music wasn't quite fascinating at all, because the music scores are rather tragic and depressing.
Jun 3, 2012 1:24 PM

Sep 2009
I'm playing my first FF game and have started with 7 but have always been intrigued with them, so I might play them all. 7 is pretty good and I only started with that one as it's probably the one I've heard most about and the one best suited to PC gaming but will probably ROM the rest till I find them cheap enough on the internets - as I'm getting into retro gaming and buying the old consoles.

Which one should I play next though? I'm thinking start at 1 and work up. What do you fine peoples think?
Jun 3, 2012 9:36 PM
Jul 2009
Some sort of tie between FFX and FF7..
Jun 4, 2012 4:54 AM

Oct 2010
I will say Final Fantasy VI for now, but I haven't played FFIX and X yet. I've heard that they are pretty good. Especially 9, it's Hironobu Sakaguchi's favorite game after all.
Jun 4, 2012 5:56 AM

Apr 2010
FFIX.
Badass game. I personally enjoyed it much more than FFVII.
Jun 5, 2012 5:59 AM

May 2012
FFX master race reporting in. thats cos i pretty much hate every other final fantasy. ffx was the only one to consume me.
wubwubwubwub
Jun 5, 2012 6:10 AM

Jan 2008
So I picked up FFXII yesterday in the bargin bucket, never played this game, but people generally say it's bad. Still I need a proper Final fantasy game to play.

I really don't like the new games.
Jun 5, 2012 6:12 AM

Jul 2008
Olpho-Kodoso said:
So I picked up FFXII yesterday in the bargin bucket, never played this game, but people generally say it's bad. Still I need a proper Final fantasy game to play.

It's not bad, the characters are just mostly lacking.
It's one of my favourite FF games.
Jun 5, 2012 8:43 AM

Jan 2012
WhichOneIsKirk said:
Olpho-Kodoso said:

It's not bad, the characters are just mostly lacking.
It's one of my favourite FF games.

Which is what makes it bad.

Mostly lacking is an understatement. I've seen roadkill with more personality than the male lead, Vaan. Plain and simple, it's very hard to give a shit about the cast, which detracts from the game. A lot.
Lemme smang it girl.
Jun 5, 2012 8:57 AM

Jul 2008
InTheBushes321 said:

Mostly lacking is an understatement. I've seen roadkill with more personality than the male lead, Vaan. Plain and simple, it's very hard to give a shit about the cast, which detracts from the game. A lot.

He was hardly the lead. You can tell he was tacked on to cater to whoever fancied that sort of thing.
The leads were Ashe, Basche and Balthier, and they were rather decent characters.

XII also had other redeeming qualities, such as the plot, the openness and the battle system. The hunt system was also pretty fun.
Jun 5, 2012 2:53 PM

Apr 2010
My favourite is Final Fantasy VII. I've finished it more than 5 times in these years.
Jun 5, 2012 3:35 PM

Jan 2012
WhichOneIsKirk said:
InTheBushes321 said:

He was hardly the lead. You can tell he was tacked on to cater to whoever fancied that sort of thing.
The leads were Ashe, Basche and Balthier, and they were rather decent characters.

XII also had other redeeming qualities, such as the plot, the openness and the battle system. The hunt system was also pretty fun.

I'll give you that it was kind of unfair to label Vaan as the lead. He was only made out as such by the game.

But the other characters weren't really any different. It's just a matter of opinion. Shit, I argue the same thing with my friend about FFX-2 all the time.

The battle system was good, yes, but it wasn't anything innovative. I'd like to redirect your attention to X-2's system again, which, is generally agreed to be one of the most innovative best of the series, regardless of whether you hate like most people or not. Still, it is unfair to detract points for that, because it was good.

I'd say my overall biggest problem with the game was the plot and the side missions or hunts or whatever you wanna call them. Maybe it's just me(I say that, but I know it's not), but I really didn't think the plot was anything special, and the side missions were boring. Kind of like what GTA III suffered from. But that's a different subject.

I overall just didn't like the game that much. I admit most of the hate was garnered from the characters who, and this begs restating, blew. Perhaps I over-exaggerated earlier when I said I hated it. But I wasn't too fond of it, and in my opinion, it's one of the worse games of the FF series. Of course, the sequel(Rev Wings) was 87 times worse, because it did everything bad 12 did and multiplied it by 5, as well as bastardizing the battle system, but that's also a whole different subject.

I'm not sure if I've even said mine yet. I probably did, but just have a shit memory and am too lazy to look through posts, but as you might've guessed, it's X-2. Honestly, none come to mind that I really didn't like besides, 12, 12-2, and a few points from X and VII.
Lemme smang it girl.
Jun 5, 2012 3:53 PM

Jul 2008
X-2 has my favourite battle / job system to date, but it doesn't deter from XII's. XII was innovative for FF, and just generally good.

I thought it was refreshing that it wasn't all "this dude's about to destroy the world, what do?". Sure it didn't develop as well as it could've, but it was a genuinely good try. If Matsuno had stayed with the project then it could've been a lot better.

Well we all have our opinions. You say XII's characters blew, someone else says X-2's Charlie's Angels blew, and the only redeeming quality was the battle system and the fact that it was a sequel.
Jun 7, 2012 4:06 AM

Jan 2008
Is FF9 worth playing?
Jun 7, 2012 4:47 AM

Jul 2008
Olpho-Kodoso said:
Is FF9 worth playing?

Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes.
If only for the soundtrack.
It's an homage to previous ff games. It has lots of sidequests, great characters, gahhh, great everything. People were put off by the childish character designs, but I found it very charming.

It's such a fantastic game.
Jun 7, 2012 4:49 AM

Jan 2008
WhichOneIsKirk said:
Olpho-Kodoso said:
Is FF9 worth playing?

Yes, yes, yes, a thousand times yes.
If only for the soundtrack.
It's an homage to previous ff games. It has lots of sidequests, great characters, gahhh, great everything. People were put off by the childish character designs, but I found it very charming.

It's such a fantastic game.

Hmmm, It's on PSn for Dl, and I never played it. I feel like playing a Jrpg that not bee botched by Sqaure.

I tried to play X2, I really did, but it's not even a turn based system, it sucks balls.
Jun 7, 2012 4:58 AM

Jul 2008
Olpho-Kodoso said:

Hmmm, It's on PSn for Dl, and I never played it. I feel like playing a Jrpg that not bee botched by Sqaure.

I tried to play X2, I really did, but it's not even a turn based system, it sucks balls.

Chrono Trigger is still delightful (I replayed it just recently) but other than that -- IX <3
I enjoyed the battle / job system for X-2, I actually thought it was one of the very few redeeming qualities of the game.

If you're not against playing a non SS game - Grandia is available on PSN, too.
Jun 7, 2012 5:33 AM

Jan 2008
WhichOneIsKirk said:
Olpho-Kodoso said:

Chrono Trigger is still delightful (I replayed it just recently) but other than that -- IX <3
I enjoyed the battle / job system for X-2, I actually thought it was one of the very few redeeming qualities of the game.

If you're not against playing a non SS game - Grandia is available on PSN, too.

Oh, grandia. I remember that. Maybe.

I didn't like X2 battle system, I like the original series turn based menu system.
Jun 7, 2012 5:35 AM

Nov 2007
WhichOneIsKirk said:
X-2 has my favourite battle / job system to date, but it doesn't deter from XII's. XII was innovative for FF, and just generally good.

Except that at the core the battle system is basically just FFXI turned single player? With the AI/gambit portion feeling like a poorly executed Tales of game. I mean, you're free to like it, but I hardly see how it's innovative considering how alike it is to XI.
Jun 7, 2012 6:23 AM

Nov 2011
VI is my favorite followed by IX. X-2 and XII lie at almost the same amount of enjoyability for me.

kratos_aurion said:
My favourite is Final Fantasy VII. I've finished it more than 5 times in these years.

Wow. Tbh, VII felt like a chore. I didn't find much thrill in it (however, Crisis Core was enjoyable).
Jun 7, 2012 8:18 AM

Jun 2012
I play FF games since 80´s my first FF was FFI (NES) and I collect FF games since 1994 when Final Fantasy VI was released xD

For me Final Fantasy VI (FFIII Snes) is the best FF ever and one of the best RPGs of all times ^^v

My favorite team : Terra Branford + Edgar Roni Figaro + Celes Chere + Locke Cole
Jun 7, 2012 1:17 PM

Jul 2007
Flavio_Branford said:
I play FF games since 80´s my first FF was FFI (NES) and I collect FF games since 1994 when Final Fantasy VI was released xD

For me Final Fantasy VI (FFIII Snes) is the best FF ever and one of the best RPGs of all times ^^v

My favorite team : Terra Branford + Edgar Roni Figaro + Celes Chere + Locke Cole

You didn't like Sabins Bum Rush, whats wrong with you man?

Jun 7, 2012 1:19 PM

Jan 2012
In the year 3000 there will be Final Fantasy 203 that's if they keep the count up.
Jun 7, 2012 1:30 PM

Jul 2008
IAmEnix said:
In the year 3000 there will be Final Fantasy 203 that's if they keep the count up.

I liked that in Deus Ex: Human Revolution there was a poster for XXVII :D
Jun 7, 2012 1:31 PM

Apr 2011
WhichOneIsKirk said:
IAmEnix said:

I liked that in Deus Ex: Human Revolution there was a poster for XXVII :D

I wonder which franchise will last longer : Final Fantasy or Call of Duty ?
Jun 7, 2012 2:23 PM

Jun 2012
link9us said:
Flavio_Branford said:

I love all Blitz of Sabin/Mash Rene Figaro but I prefer Edgar Tools (chainsaw or drill ), I love Sabin suplex and Aura Bolt too xD
Jun 7, 2012 2:36 PM

Jul 2008
Valaskjalf said:

I live in the hopes that the FPS bubble will eventually pop -- so I'm going to bet on FF.
Jun 8, 2012 11:47 PM

Jan 2012
FF6 and FF8. Those were the only final fantasy I enjoyed the rest were ok but FF9 I felt most FF10-14 (FF12 has a good story and all but was lacking IMO) weren't the same.
Jun 9, 2012 12:38 PM

Jan 2009
My favorite is Final Fantasy V. I love the job system and the great amount of enemies/bosses.
Jun 9, 2012 3:12 PM

Apr 2010
Flavio_Branford said:
link9us said:
Flavio_Branford said:

I love all Blitz of Sabin/Mash Rene Figaro but I prefer Edgar Tools (chainsaw or drill ), I love Sabin suplex and Aura Bolt too xD

Man up. Everyone knows its gotta be Mog, Gogo, Umaro and Gau
Jun 10, 2012 3:22 AM

Jan 2012
WhichOneIsKirk said:
Valaskjalf said:

I live in the hopes that the FPS bubble will eventually pop -- so I'm going to bet on FF.

I'd bet FF.

Story --> FF

Characters --> FF

Difficulty balance --> FF

Overall fun --> FF

That, and there's the atrocious lag that plagues all FPS games. Shit, just this morning, in MAG I was 1 kill short of a ribbon because(you guessed it...) 7 of my 13 deaths were because I got shot through a wall!

But really, I'm serious. Lag isn't any better in CoD, MAG, BF3, Dust514(even though it's only beta), whatever. That's not even counting the "friendly" player base. Oh, the joy of FPS games.

FF > any FPS game.
Lemme smang it girl.
Jun 10, 2012 4:38 AM

Mar 2012
My favorite FF are the 4th ,6th and the 9th !
Jun 10, 2012 9:08 AM

Jun 2009
IX for being my first and Tactics.
Jun 10, 2012 1:32 PM

Jun 2008
Defiantly VI, it had the best cast of characters, storyline and battle system.

Oh and, VII is the worst. :p
Jun 10, 2012 8:42 PM

Jan 2012
Retro8bit said:
Defiantly VI, it had the best cast of characters, storyline and battle system.

Oh and, VII is the worst. :p

Calling it the worst is hardly fair, and believe me, I'm not a fan of Cloud and Thunder Jugs, either :P
Lemme smang it girl.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

» Gacha Survey ( 1 2 )

Shizuna - Apr 11

56 by BitChilly »»
43 minutes ago

» Looking for more Anime Pixel Games

Astachanna - Apr 4

12 by Astachanna »»
47 minutes ago

» Last game you purchased ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Completely_Numb - Mar 15, 2014

525 by Timeline_man »»
2 hours ago

» Stellar Blade Preview: Sekiro Meets NieR: Automata?

deg - Feb 1

28 by Shizuna »»
4 hours ago

» Add "you little bitch" to a video game quote. ( 1 2 3 )

Kajiuran - Oct 20, 2023

141 by Kajiuran »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.