MyAnimeList.net

Anime Information
Forums

Recent Posts | My Watched Topics | My Ignored Topics | Search

Why do people have a problem with the protagonist being Fat?
MyAnimeList.net Forum »» Anime Discussion »» Series Discussion »» Accel World »» Why do people have a problem with the protagonist being Fat?

Pages (39) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
04-07-12, 9:14 PM

Honestly i first started watching this and i disliked his appearance, but honestly after watching the first episode for the first five minutes, i actually kinda like him =). I will definitely be keeping my eyes on this series.

Edit: It seems people are reading too much into his creation than they need to.
Modified by Ahri, 04-07-12, 9:20 PM

04-07-12, 11:19 PM

I'm a chubby guy, and I hate chubby mc's, but I'll still give the anime a shot.

04-08-12, 5:44 PM

It just feels too forced. the MC is the only short fat kid on the show. I understand if they want to avoid some cliches ( Like a shut-in MC, unpopular guy, etc ), but damn.

I just can't take this series too seriously because of the MC's design. And now it looks like there's a love triangle. How much more ridiculous can it get.

I'd rather they have made the MC your typical cliche MC where the unpopular guy gets with the popular girl, then let the rest of the story carry the series ( In this case, the cool accel world )

04-08-12, 6:30 PM

Hate character design of main character, because the art style is completely different from every other character. (and probably because of personal real life preferences)

I would have preferred a generic character design because I'm boring like that.

04-08-12, 7:52 PM

I like how people say his design doesn't fit a normal person but yet they're totally okay with 17 year old girls who look like they're 5.

04-08-12, 7:54 PM

Swifteh said:
It's not the fact that his fat(but yes i don't like the idea that he is fat and it's hard to self insert myself to a short fat MC)but it's the fact that his character design is cartoony and out of place from the other characters. His more like a parody of a fat person, rather than being an actual fat person.
this, he looks like he's from a completely different anime

04-08-12, 8:44 PM

Wait... The main character is fat ?
Urg, I will never watch this shit.

*Has already saw episode 1, and really don't mind about his appearance*

04-08-12, 10:02 PM

Like what people said before...I can't stand the main character because of his seiyuu. I don't mind that he's fat, his personality, or the ordeals he faces. In a way, I felt sympathetic to his situation.

However, Kaji Yuki's voice grates my nerves like no tomorrow after I watched No.6. Whenever I hear that voice, I instantly think of whiny Shion who suddenly did a 180 in personality and beliefs in one of the worst (disappointing) anime I've seen in a while. It doesn't help when Kaji uses the same voice for other characters in recent series (Guilty Crown...couldn't get past ep 1 because of him voicing Shu, Towa no Quon movie 2: the instant I heard his voice I was like zomg.....NUUUU)

I want to forget that I watched No.6 but that same voice keeps popping up to remind me of it Dx.
Well, at least his voice is instantly recognizable to me...(didn't know he was seiyuu for the main in Accel World until I heard him speak =___= )
Modified by BlueHaro, 04-08-12, 10:34 PM

04-08-12, 11:17 PM

I'm another person who couldn't care less that he's fat, but I find the huge difference between his design and every other character very jarring.

Also, my first impression of his personality is pretty terrible, which makes me dislike him far more than his design does.
If any of my posts seem odd, it's probably because I'm tired. Sorry. I have sleeping issues.

04-09-12, 1:00 AM

Personally, I don't think I would have even bothered to watch the first episode if he wasn't so different from the normal cookie cutter MC.

Though I do find it strange that two hot girls are crushing on him when he doesn't seem to have done anything positive with his life up to now. (Unless she really is just a friend and the other one is just using him of course). But that's as much a personality issue as a physical one.

04-09-12, 2:40 AM

Because those weeaboos themselves are fat that's why (^◇^)
「J>K>W」
事実。

04-09-12, 3:42 AM

The problem is not that he's short and fat, the problem is that he's drawn in a whole different style than all the other characters.

04-09-12, 9:11 AM

i think its a great idea to make him fat
otherwise, the character development later on wouldnt be as great

04-09-12, 9:14 AM

this is refreshing idea ,little bored with "goodlooking" mc in anime

04-09-12, 12:27 PM

I actually don't care that he's fat, because it's rare. But if they wanted him to be fat, at least draw him seriously! Because he just looks like some chibi pig in the middle of a bunch of people who actually look realistic. I don't care that he's fat, I just wish he was more realistically drawn...

04-09-12, 4:23 PM

uzee said:
The problem is not that he's short and fat, the problem is that he's drawn in a whole different style than all the other characters.

As if repeating the same thing everyone else does makes it any more relevant....Ok, we get it....You don't like his character design....But you guys can't come up with different reasons? Seriously.....By saying you all dislike the MC for this reason alone makes it seem like you're saying that you dislike him to be different, and not because you actually do.

04-09-12, 4:40 PM

Swifteh said:
It's not the fact that his fat(but yes i don't like the idea that he is fat and it's hard to self insert myself to a short fat MC)but it's the fact that his character design is cartoony and out of place from the other characters. His more like a parody of a fat person, rather than being an actual fat person.

Ragix said:
Actually I replied to a similar comment on youtube.

COPY PASTE!

I don't mind the fact that he's fat, or the fact that he's a midget as well. . .
However their is a huge difference in his design(art style?) from him to everyone and the whole environment in the series. It's as if he literally came from a whole different cutesy anime world and was put into another. Like if I took a character from One Piece and stuck him/her in Clannad.
The end.

okthxbaii said:
I have to one solid conclusion: everyone that sticks up for the main character being fat is probably and mostly likely fat.

Oh MAL.

Honestly, this show is equivalent to Guilty Shit, so I'm probably not going to watch it period, but just to piss everyone off, I'll say I am because the main character is fat.

Trololol.

My God, these people already have all the grounds covered. This is like watching fucking Doraemon in Code Geass as a substitute for Lelouch. I could care less about him being a sad narcissistic fatass, but at least make him proportionately sized to the other human fucking beings instead of making him a leprechaun.

04-09-12, 5:18 PM

I have a problem because I don't want to watch a fat protagonist the entire show. I will be especially pissed if it goes through the "accept that he's fat blah blah blah" stuff. Being overweight is not a good thing and should not be acceptable, unless of course due to circumstances. If he actually loses weight that would be nice but it won't happen I bet.

I'll be watching it regardless as it's a good and enjoyable show.
Modified by JoeLT, 04-09-12, 5:21 PM

04-09-12, 6:04 PM

i liked that they went with a short chubby main... but then they had to make him a "i'm not loved" kind of guy who has some great friends :s but it was to be expected.
Romance Anime List

Romance Anime List

3DS friend code 3325-2089-7587 (pm yours)

04-09-12, 6:11 PM

I don't mind. I do agree with others though. He isn't drawn very seriously and in proportion with everyone else in the show.

What "Adolescence" do you have?
Do you remember "Childhood"?
The irreplaceable one existed there.

Pages (39) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Help     FAQ     About     Contact     Terms     Privacy     AdChoices