Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Persona 4
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Mar 18, 2012 9:57 AM

Jun 2009
Leon-Gun said:
Anyway, Yuu isn't the only person who arrived to the city at that very same time.(...)Adachi Tohru was reassigned to Doujima's unit from Tokyo to assist in the murder incidents (he's called a rookie remember).
Wait, seriously? I didn't remember that but that Naoto x Yuu talk at the end of this episode made me think that Adachi is the guy who pretty much know everyone who appeared in midnight channel. He wouldn't be suspicious at all approaching Dojimas's house. Also he knew Namatame when he was first mentioned as a suspect, as a police officer.
And now it turns out he arrived in the city at the same time as Yuu. It would make sense for him to be teh culprit. I still don't get the deal with Yuu getting his Persona first without actual development of his character. I do realize in game's he's supposedly just a nameless guy because atlus uses reatrded "player's the protagonist" thinking but still, i don't want to think it was made like that just to fit that setting.
OrochiPLMar 18, 2012 10:04 AM
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Mar 18, 2012 11:05 AM

Aug 2009
Nanako got magically revived by Kuma?

(Image, not an actual spoiler)
Mar 18, 2012 12:50 PM

Apr 2011
It's better, much better.
But...
Doesn't it seem to you like these episodes end too fast? A bit faster than before.
Maybe because it's close to end...

I'm lovin' title of the next ep <3
Mar 18, 2012 1:03 PM
Dec 2007
OrochiPL said:
I still don't get the deal with Yuu getting his Persona first without actual development of his character. I do realize in game's he's supposedly just a nameless guy because atlus uses reatrded "player's the protagonist" thinking but still, i don't want to think it was made like that just to fit that setting.
There's a reason but unless they go for the Perfect Ending you don't ever find out.There's a detail that people may have forgotten but the only two people revealed to have been able to enter the Shadow World from the start (at this point) are Yuu and Namatame. Everyone else was brought by either Yuu or Namatame (Yuu brought Yousuke and Namatame through everyone in from Yukiko onwards) and they "only" acquired the power to enter the Shadow World after they got their Personae. This is important, because it means there's a chance Mitsuo Kubo, the copycat killer, was "helped" to enter the TV World, not entered it himself (he never faces his Shadow afterall and he never realizes he entered the TV World, a confusion you can tell from his words to the team).

And for Adachi, I think they sadly skipped over important lines at the start that pretty much cement his status as new. Doujima called him a damn rookie when he threw up from seeing Mayumi's corpse and threatens to send him right back to Tokyo if he doesn't straightens up. The game is pretty long so there's important details that get lost in the shuffle pretty easy in the adaptation never mind the fact the game itself liked to hide important things as just banter.

Also:
Leon-GunMar 18, 2012 1:09 PM

Mar 18, 2012 1:48 PM

Mar 2009
arena149 said:

shit just got real when yuu dragged namatame to the tv like that (which will be the bad ending).... thank god it doesn't happened :D

I fully agree there.

I played the game and this scene in the anime had so much more emotional impact. True, you are feeling pretty bad in the game and you have to decide what to do with Namatame but the MC simply stands mute while the group argues. Until you have him shout down the group, that is. Here we really get to see Yuu grow as a character. Yuu's poker-face is rather frightening when he's angry, determined, dragging a helpless man and on the brink of committing murder.

I have no doubt everything will be wrapped up (with the True Ending and all) within the next two episodes considering Persona 4's break-neck pacing. *Rubs her hands together in anticipation.* >=D
Mar 18, 2012 6:02 PM
Sep 2008
After 22 episodes of mostly lighthearted adventure fun, we finally got a truly dark episode. And I gotta say, it feels reaaaaaaally jarring.

I also think they flubbed up the scene with the gang questioning whether they should throw Namatame in or not. Instead of Yu just coming to his senses of his own accord, I think instead he should've been fully ready to throw Namatame into the TV, but then the rest of the gang should have been the ones to talk him down. Instead they opted for the route that makes Yu feel a lot less interesting and almost too perfect for his own good.

For the record, I've never played the video game so I have no idea how the scene plays out in there. Maybe they were just trying to make it as accurate to the game as possible, I'm just saying if I was the director for the TV show then I would have done that scene differently.
Mar 18, 2012 9:53 PM
Dec 2007
Relenus said:
After 22 episodes of mostly lighthearted adventure fun, we finally got a truly dark episode. And I gotta say, it feels reaaaaaaally jarring.

I also think they flubbed up the scene with the gang questioning whether they should throw Namatame in or not. Instead of Yu just coming to his senses of his own accord, I think instead he should've been fully ready to throw Namatame into the TV, but then the rest of the gang should have been the ones to talk him down. Instead they opted for the route that makes Yu feel a lot less interesting and almost too perfect for his own good.

For the record, I've never played the video game so I have no idea how the scene plays out in there. Maybe they were just trying to make it as accurate to the game as possible, I'm just saying if I was the director for the TV show then I would have done that scene differently.
Not really, In fact the scene in the anime showed a Yuu more willing to kill than the game. In the game, if you're to take the Good Ending, Yousuke is the one ready and willing to throw Namatame in the TV and Yuu is the one that calms down everyone and reasons that something is off.

Also, unlike in the anime, in the game the one who first suggests to "kill" Namatame using the TV is Naoto to which Yousuke and Kanji both agree and causes Chie, Yukiko and Rise to try to snap them out of it. Yuu, as the usual silent MC is just silently watching through almost all the scene until the moment of truth where you get the "throw him in" or "something is odd" decision time.
Leon-GunMar 18, 2012 9:58 PM

Mar 19, 2012 5:12 AM

Jul 2009
actually, having Yuu does the 180 makes his decision a lot more powerful. You can see how hurt he was when he decided not to do it, because it's his own decision. He has to live with the question as to if what he chose is correct or not. This dilemma leads to that powerful "crying in the snow" scene afterward. He has no one else to blame but himself for that decision if that turned out to be wrong.

If he was stopped by the gang, then he's just one dimensional, and he could just blame the others for letting Namatame live.
Mar 19, 2012 7:57 AM

Oct 2009
Sooo... two episodes left? How are they going to make all of the remaining stuff fit into two episodes? I mean, (spoiler for true culprit and series finale)
Mar 19, 2012 3:13 PM

Apr 2010
Now the question is will they casually finish on the good end or rush the true ending.

Christmas stuff could easily be skipped or tossed into OVA's, same with
Mar 19, 2012 3:54 PM
Dec 2007
Clous said:
Now the question is will they casually finish on the good end or rush the true ending.

Christmas stuff could easily be skipped or tossed into OVA's, same with
Margaret battle isn't even important enough to add due to the fact there's no Persona 3 adaptation. Margaret backstory only matters is you know who the hell Elizabeth is and who Elizabeth is trying to rescue.

Mar 19, 2012 10:47 PM

Jun 2010
Haven't played the game yet, but here is a shot of guessing the true culprit. Please put it in spoilers if I'm right. Hmm ok so they said the culprit is someone who can keep and eye on them and can go inside their house without being detected. Ok now there are only a few people who have been at Yus house. Number is his friends. Now they can't be the culprit, right? Number two is Teddie. And he can't be the culprit because he us just sooo adorable :3. And the last one is the detectives(Nanakos dad) partner his name slips my mind. He is also one of the people besides his friends that is always around his family and friends. If it isn't him then i don't know who it is.
Mar 20, 2012 8:37 AM

Jan 2011
Yu looked bad ass when he wanted to throw the guy in the TV.
Nice to see Nanako live alive, even though it was sort of stupid using a miracle.
Only 2 episodes left, although I think next episode will finish it and the last one will be recap/random stuff.
I almost never read discussions after I made my post, if you want to reply PM me or post on my profile page.
Mar 20, 2012 1:26 PM

Oct 2011
another great episode very dramatic, next week should be good if they don’t rush through it.
Mar 20, 2012 4:00 PM

Apr 2010
Leon-Gun said:
Margaret battle isn't even important enough to add due to the fact there's no Persona 3 adaptation. Margaret backstory only matters is you know who the hell Elizabeth is and who Elizabeth is trying to rescue.

Hence the easily be skipped notion. Although implying xmas stuff matters either is questionable.
Mar 20, 2012 5:12 PM
Dec 2007
Clous said:
Leon-Gun said:

Hence the easily be skipped notion. Although implying xmas stuff matters either is questionable.
Considering most of the optional romance options were taken out (only the plot-related ones like Rise instantly pinning for Yuu were added) I doubt Xmas will be added either. They might have a quick slideshow of Yuu being with Nanako and Doujima or something perhaps.

Mar 20, 2012 5:29 PM
Dec 2007
There's actually two scenes in the game/anime where you can guess who the killer (not the whole story though, obviously) is. I had a hunch near the middle of the game but after that it's so well concealed that it's still difficult to come up with, and even then, guessing the correct answers to the good (and subsequently true) ending in the hospital is almost impossible without a walkthrough. Anyway, we'll of course have the true ending in the anime so we should prepare for some serious twists and fighting in the last episodes.

Regarding this episode specifically, I'd have preferred if Namatame's back story was expanded a little bit more, with, for example, how much he loved the announcer and how devastated he was after her murder which prompted him to "save" people by pulling them inside the TV. In the anime, his motivations are a bit weird to say the least.
JacutMar 20, 2012 5:36 PM

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Mar 20, 2012 6:44 PM

Mar 2009
Kuma being a sacrificial lamb wut? And could it be the naive cop?
Mar 20, 2012 8:09 PM

Feb 2010
Oh goodness last couple of episodes here
Super excite!

I wonder what people (who haven't already played the game) will think when they see the true culprit? Personally I was mighty surprised but afterwards lingered a certain fondness for the character (and his voice actor). I mean I can obviously see now the bread crumb trail left behind to figure it out yourself.

Mar 21, 2012 10:52 AM

May 2010
Leon-Gun said:
No, he hasn't used any of the Max Levels Personas for any of the teammates Arcanas so no way of veryfying if he did max them. He maxed others though, he has brought out Beelzebub twice now.

There's only 1 way of verifying it, and that's the members of the team coming to terms with their self and their struggles, which is what has happened for the gang besides Yosuke, atm. They more than likely are only using 1 persona per arcana which is why we haven't seen a maxed level persona from the team out...

Mar 21, 2012 5:35 PM

May 2009
This is so sad, 1 Persona per Arcana means no Hee Ho Jack Frost. Well, whatever then.

Just two weeks now! The last episode better have The Genesis in it!!!!
Mar 21, 2012 6:42 PM

Feb 2012
-No last battle in March against you-know-who
-No Xmas event
-No evolved Persona

I still doubt Yu will called out 'The World' Persona, 'cause he had never maxed out his team S.Link. Their Persona should be evolved by now if it was maxed. But eventhough that, Yu had maxed out another S.Link
Mar 21, 2012 7:15 PM
Dec 2007
RealScreamer said:
Leon-Gun said:
No, he hasn't used any of the Max Levels Personas for any of the teammates Arcanas so no way of veryfying if he did max them. He maxed others though, he has brought out Beelzebub twice now.

There's only 1 way of verifying it, and that's the members of the team coming to terms with their self and their struggles, which is what has happened for the gang besides Yosuke, atm. They more than likely are only using 1 persona per arcana which is why we haven't seen a maxed level persona from the team out...

Hmm, I wonder, I think he has used two Chariot Personae (since his first Chariot Persona was pure crap). But my guess is that, in order to not be too meta about it, they'll keep the second versions of their unique Personae for the boss battles. In other words, if they will use Amaterasu and the others they will "power-up" mid fight, much in the same way Yuu did fusions mid-fight.

Mar 22, 2012 1:50 PM

Jul 2010
Ok, first of all this episode seemed too rushed, and Nanako apparently dead for waaaay too long time left me like MEH when it was shown that she was alive (even though I was so happy she was alive). But anyway.

I loved the part where they were almost to throw Namatame in the TV (and I must admit, I totally cheered for the "revenge team") and I totally approved how Naoto sided with the guys, instead of being "OMGdontdothis" like all the other girls.

I never played P4, but I have a guess (a pretty strong one) on who might be the culprit: Adachi. He fits all the criteria pointed out in this episode, basically. Quoting the clues by Leon-Gun:
1) He knows where Yuu lives. <-- Sure like hell Adachi knows, he is even often at their house.
2) He knows Yuu was saving people, meaning he has to have a position where he can keep an eye on him or his movements. <-- He's a rookie, but still a detective. And also friend AND assistant of Dojima-san, on top of that.
3) He was confident enough to actually put a letter in the letterbox of a police detective. Which means even if someone saw him/her put the letter he wouldn't have looked out of place or suspicious. <-- Again, he's the assistant of Dojima-san, nobody would be suspicious seeing him around his house.
4) He's "not" insane, unlike the last two nutcases, as we can see from the fact he was calmly typing the letter for Yuu a few episodes back. <-- He doesn't seem insane, or at least not blatantly. Instead he seems WAY too cheerful and idiotic. It's like he's playing to be dumb.

And there are other points that are pretty interesting:
~ He knows everyone involved in the whole Persona/Shadow thing, and pretty much know everyone in town, since he's a detective. It could be a piece of cake for him to do whatever he wants without being suspected (because he's a detective) or noticed much (because he really doesn't stand out that much, doesn't have much of a presence).
~ Also, as - again - Leon-Gun kindly pointed out, he's a rookie. He was reassigned to Doujima's unit to assist in the murder incidents. Hence the crimes could have started because HE arrived in the city.
The title for the next episode also makes me think. As a detective, he might have seen a lot of shit going on (like murderers out of jail because powerful/rich, people betraying/killing other people ecc. You know what I mean.), and... I still don't fully understand his reasons, but the title made me even more convinced that he's the real culprit.

Plus, I must admit, I always tend to suspect of the dumbest one. LOL

The only other suspects might be Kuma - but I don't think he's the culprit; plus, he has already defeated his Shadow - and Yuu himself - but I'm somewhat dubious about him too.

(I know ep24 is out already, but since I always watch a series with the same fansub group, I will wait Commie's relelase of the episode. The waiting is killing me, though.)
Mar 22, 2012 10:15 PM
Dec 2007
Kuma's shadow hides a clue for "something" else, but I'll leave that a surprise. Let's just say Kuma's shadow wasn't just Kuma, it was Kuma + 1.

Mar 26, 2012 3:46 AM

Aug 2010
Deus ex Resurrectio ruined it. 1/5.

Too bad, the show had a very strong momentum as of late, and the moment when it seemed Narukami lost it was perfectly executed.
Mar 31, 2012 1:59 AM
Dec 2009
iunno why kuma's disappearance made nanako alive again, but eh.. that will be told later on, i hope..

and.. seriously.. i got pretty irritated when they jumped into conclusion of who they thought the murder was.. and at that point i actually wanted to see them kill the guy and find out that they were wrong.. i'd like to their faces if that happened, especially the guys.. specifically the annoying one.

i know who the culprit is and i 99% knew at that point that its him on the episode where they got the crazy attention kid, the one who lied and admitted to all the murders and kidnappings.. even before then the culprit was so suspicious, he has that fake atmosphere around him.. but i forgot his name lol.. i'm pretty sure i'm right, if u don't want to know don't click the spoiler..
JKMar 31, 2012 2:04 AM
tag©.androgynous
Mar 31, 2012 12:06 PM

Aug 2010
Judgement arcana = true end :3
Apr 16, 2012 3:39 PM

Nov 2007
okay I hate cop outs.

It goes from whoa hey they killed the little girl to ...

WTF SHE DIDN'T DIE?

again I HATE COP OUTS. they make us believe she's dead. try to get sympathy and despite declaring her dead, oh hey she got better. WTF IS THAT? and I saw it coming too.

sigh. this was on the right track until this stupid resurrection crap.
Jun 13, 2012 12:41 AM

Sep 2011
Would be awesome is Kuma was the source of all evil!
Jul 6, 2012 9:11 PM

Apr 2012
did kuma sacrifice himself in order to resurrect nanako??? my that was alarming but wonderful....
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 22, 2012 2:09 PM

Jan 2012
The last 2 episodes have been amazing.

So Nanako literally came back from the dead?
Jan 3, 2013 8:48 PM
Mar 2009
Dat Bromance.

So Namatame was actually trying to save people...? Who the hell is left then? Oh this answer is going to come from nowhere...

...just like how Nanako came back to life. Happy she's alive again, but what. How the hell did that happen? Kuma leaves and goes back to the other side and that triggers Nanako's revival?

Aika, lol. She knows all.

ED showed all the Arcanas and bonds, pretty cool. I also like the title card for the next episode, haha.
Jan 19, 2013 8:54 AM
Jul 2018

Nanako is alive? How did that happen?
Who is the real killer?
Nice episode title for the next.~
Mar 31, 2013 2:14 AM

Sep 2012
Nanako came back to life! Yes! :D
Jan 5, 2014 11:58 PM

Jan 2013
Solid episode.
Nanako is alive somehow.
Jun 19, 2014 4:29 PM

Jul 2012
The one thing that really shocked me was the detective, she's the one was shouldn't let her emotions get the better of her and its her job to solves the case.........

Look at it this way

She says that they should throw him in and no one would find him...............she's a detective and she's suggesting to kill him.................she's supposed to be the law and she's letting the Mc kill him,.........I mean if that was the case then-

1 if they find out later he wasn't the killer it'll shame her family
2 the whole group would be collaborators of the murder of a innocent man who believes he was saving people

I was like........don't do it don't do it even tho I thought he was the killer I was like

You'll be like him don't become killers your selfs,

How ironic would it be if they did kill him and they was shown what there happy ending was like, that'll make them the bad guys
I dislike lelouch vi Britannia.

im a shiki supporter

my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCR90F0rzcss4CsrAbkZXTkg/featured?view_as=subscriber

Just past the 1500th Mark bitches

I approve this video http://youtu.be/U_0CCLxibFk
Oct 1, 2014 9:08 AM

Feb 2013
These past few episodes have been fantastic. I really liked the scene where they were all arguing whether they should kill Namatame or not. I thought it was done even better in the anime. The part where Yu was just slowly dragging him towards the TV was tense, I actually thought he was gonna throw him in.

It was kinda weird how they waited an entire day before they had Nanako revive, but eh. Also poor Teddie :(.

Next episode should be good, the real real killer will finally be revealed. (for real this time :P.)
Mar 5, 2015 12:37 AM

Nov 2012
Oh look. Through the power of friendship (bonds in this case) someone comes back alive
Apr 30, 2015 6:37 PM
Apr 2014
The Velvet room limousine stopped, time to look back on everything.
The seekers of the truth social link has been established.
Looks like Narukami figured out who the real killer is, everyone who played the game suspected that person, on the other hand I didn't know or suspect that Namatame would be somewhat involved in the case.
Feb 10, 2016 6:48 PM
Dec 2014
Meh.. I cried when I played through the Nanako incident in the game (twice), but didn't feel much when watching it here.
Feb 16, 2016 9:11 AM

Feb 2015
I'm so glad Nanako is alright! o(╥﹏╥)o
Mar 28, 2016 12:24 PM

Nov 2013
silver_huskey said:
arena149 said:

shit just got real when yuu dragged namatame to the tv like that (which will be the bad ending).... thank god it doesn't happened :D

I fully agree there.

I played the game and this scene in the anime had so much more emotional impact. True, you are feeling pretty bad in the game and you have to decide what to do with Namatame but the MC simply stands mute while the group argues. Until you have him shout down the group, that is. Here we really get to see Yuu grow as a character. Yuu's poker-face is rather frightening when he's angry, determined, dragging a helpless man and on the brink of committing murder.

I have no doubt everything will be wrapped up (with the True Ending and all) within the next two episodes considering Persona 4's break-neck pacing. *Rubs her hands together in anticipation.* >=D

I too fully agree.
You're a louse, Roger Smith. - R. Dorothy Wayneright
This is my fight! No Senpai, this is our fight! - Kojou Akatsuki & Yukina Himeragi
Sep 1, 2016 2:49 PM

Jul 2016
Dammit, this was a solid and heartcrushing experience.

Yu has grown so much. The moment with him alone crying is so well executed. And the mystery continues.
Oct 13, 2017 4:47 AM

Dec 2013
Dem Yuu tears ;_;

Cool to hear Namatame’s side of the story. He was a naive idiot but I can understand his actions.

I really didn’t like how Nanako came back to life. I didn’t like it in the game and I didn’t like it here.

The absolute madman actually completed the rainy day challenge!
Jul 31, 2020 2:01 AM

Jul 2015
So Namatame wasn't the killer and is actually a good guy with pure intentions but also with some misunderstandings of what he did causing him to make some mistakes. Glad that Nanako is revived, I think I already have an idea who the real culprit is.

Sep 6, 2021 9:38 PM

Dec 2018
who the hell does nanako think she is, lazarus? sorry but how the hell, and also she's going to be a vegetable being out for that long.solid episode though, i agree the first half of the season was really meh but it's gotten so much better. going to make it hard to grade fairly.
May 21, 2023 2:24 PM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Eheh we can sure be happy for Nanako but I like how they ended it in a cliffhanger way for those who doesn't know who's really the culprit
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jan 5, 2012

105 by zodismegalame »»
Jan 27, 1:44 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tsubasalover - Feb 9, 2012

72 by NN010 »»
Nov 18, 2023 6:49 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Jan 12, 2012

112 by NN010 »»
Nov 11, 2023 6:51 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tsubasalover - Oct 27, 2011

120 by Delphantasist »»
Nov 3, 2023 9:05 PM

Poll: » Persona 4 The Animation Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Dr_Funkadelic - Mar 30, 2012

186 by DarkCanuck »»
Sep 22, 2023 8:01 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.