Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Ghost in the Shell Standalone Complex
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 12, 2008 3:16 AM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So the guy who was killed, was or wasn't the Laughing man? And who killed him? Interesting episode.
aeroAug 12, 2008 3:19 AM
Aug 12, 2008 3:18 AM
Jul 2008
Somebody from the police, but who? Cant wait to watch the 7th ep. tonight.
Aug 12, 2008 3:32 AM

Jan 2008
Takes 3 complex episodes for Aramaki to start an investigation into the Laughing Man. Get with the program dude!

Great episode.

Laughing Man didnt die, he just likes to graffiti random people's faces with his logo. :)
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Aug 12, 2008 3:42 AM

Feb 2007
Oh, I remember watching this episode a long time ago.

And then the DVD decided to stop working on me. Been about 2 years since then. Really should resume this anime soon...
Oct 18, 2008 11:55 AM

Sep 2008
This series is sooo confusing!
Jan 27, 2009 6:54 AM

Nov 2008
Yeah, true. Perhaps Laughing man never existed in the fisrt place? :)
May 11, 2009 9:15 PM

Jul 2008
39 people were influenced to attempt that assassination, thats a lot of people; plus it seems the laughing man logo is a big product to throw around on almost anything
the only way to stop a gamer from playing is either: beat them, or wait until they get bored (though 2% percent suffer seizures
Jun 8, 2009 1:07 AM

Nov 2007
A deepening in the plot this episode did not in the slightest shed any real light on the case for me ^^" interesting how the plot will develop from this point on.
Aug 22, 2009 4:31 PM

Dec 2008
i loled so hard when the old man said "how do you get to the hotel where the superintendent is going to be assassinated"
Aug 25, 2009 1:50 AM

Jan 2009
Interesting episode, although slow at times. The soundtrack for this show fits so well, one of the best i've seen in anime i think.
Sep 28, 2009 9:22 PM

Aug 2008
Kritikal... I guess I gotta agree with you this time.... I tried to watch this episode twice and I fell asleep... Dun mind the time thou XD... I guess that's the real reason I fell asleep... but heck I fell twice!!! Until yesterday, in my third chance I really finished watching the episode... Personally I think the first half was thrilling... who would though that the police that arrived to Nagao's hideout would kill the poor guy...The chase for the Superintendet was kewl... I loved how every random person wanted to kill the poor guy... The big guy was kewl... And damn!!! Motoko is really strong!!! she stopped him with just her bare hands and a good Kung Fu like position Hahahaha... The old geezer asking where was the most hilarious thing of this chapter!!! YAY Tachikomas!!! and Definitely this one was a fine build up episode for future problems!! YAY

Signs,
Green
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 11, 2009 7:25 PM

Oct 2009
Cool, anon did laughing man. I'm liking this series way more than the old GITS movie. The Tachikoma-kun shorts are soooooo cute too, lol.
Aug 28, 2010 5:01 PM

Jun 2008
Wow, so the Superintendent is hiding something, and for the life of him, he doesn't want to share to others which might get section 9 to the bottom of the case. Mystery. I like I like. And the Laughing Man Incident was just the guy threatening to kill Serano (or whatever this company's name was) on TV? The Superintendent connected with this corporation? I like I like.

What I don't like is how the Complex episodes is span across with standalone episodes in between. It takes off the tension, and makes me forget recent events. :(
Sep 20, 2010 8:45 PM

May 2010
Can you imagine if the Major was not a cyborg...?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Nov 5, 2010 5:28 PM

Jun 2009
It's amazing how watching a series in japanese, which forces you to read and thus pay more attention, can really make it easier to understand the story. Basically the actual laughing man didn't have anything to do with the initial private guard attack, but he did orchestrate the other 30-something people to attack the superintendent. At this point there is no actual proof of his existence, but the major is curious as to "who" was hacking into the guard's ghost.

Also, the Japanese voice acting is fantastic. Especially Motoko's and Aramaki's
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Mar 22, 2011 9:56 AM

Nov 2009
Crimsonwill said:
A deepening in the plot this episode did not in the slightest shed any real light on the case for me ^^" interesting how the plot will develop from this point on.

Yeah, there really is a lot going on, and a lot of questions being brought up. Hopefully more of the questions are answered next episode, but there probably will just be more questions :P
May 4, 2011 7:19 PM

Dec 2010
Looks like we are in for a very complex plot. Perhaps I shouldn't watch this in my bed.
Jun 20, 2011 11:29 PM

Jan 2011
this series is just so effing awesome it's too bad this series has 14 fillers oh well at least they're good fillers unlike FMA's
sorry just can't stop raving about the fracking awesome soundtrack especially love this theme

it's such a sexy yet haunting tribal chant-like song with typical Gabby Robbin lyrics (aka, Yoko kanno herself
and of course this song literally made that final scene

Ilaria's voice is just too awesome for words
"Where will a newborn go from here? The net is vast and infinite" - Motoko Kusanagi
Nov 16, 2011 12:48 AM

Feb 2009
Great episode! This is one of those plots that can grab my attention. As this episode went on, I couldn't shake this feeling that "The Laughing Man" never actually existed as a man, but as a concept or an initial idea. In the end of the episode they kinda confirmed it, but who knows at this point? Im really anxious too keep watching.
Jun 3, 2012 11:10 AM

Jul 2011
The OST is great!

And interesting episode. Makes you wonder. :)
Jun 29, 2012 4:09 PM

Jan 2012
damn... this is a really complex anime... hard to follow when you dont watch with full attention...
Oct 5, 2012 9:19 AM

Nov 2011
I think there was probably an original Laughing man. But it'll be really difficult to identify the original after all of this.

"I like to expose what people hide. I'm an intellectual rapist." - Furudo Erika
Dec 20, 2012 1:58 PM

May 2012
Decent ARC ending, lets see what story will follow up next!
Dec 21, 2012 5:08 PM

Jan 2012
Complicated but interesting. A very intense episode. Want to learn more about the Laughing man.

Dec 31, 2012 9:08 PM

Nov 2011
Yes it's a complex anime. The Laughing Man is a complex case obviously.
May 26, 2013 5:40 PM

Apr 2013
This was good episode. So many thing happened that i was left with a lot of questions. But that's the good thing. This is the good part about this anime. The more complicated the plot gets the more i enjoy watching this show.

I don't know about you guys but i have a speculation.

May 28, 2013 1:40 PM

Mar 2010
great stuff
Jul 19, 2013 7:07 PM
Jul 2013
I'm confused.... :S

Well, lets see what happen next.
Dec 11, 2013 6:10 PM

Aug 2013
This case get really interresting. So if we resume what we know now : Nanao was only part of the machination of the police, the goal being to close the laughing man case and enhance their popularity. But, the plan who everyone though was made by the police was made up by someone else, probably the laughing man. All the people who attempted at the prefet life were all imitator/fan except one that was ''pirated''.

Like I said about the previous and like Daisuke said, I think that the laughing man isn't someone but a more like a concept. Someone is surely behind all this but I don't think there is chief directing a group. The laughing man is more like terrorist without real goal, except chaos. The fact that so much people pretended to be the laughing man seem too suspicious, there is surely something behind this.

It seem like the Section 9 want to intimidate the prefet so that he reveal information that he have probably keeped for himself. Maybe the mastermind behind all this, feeling cornered, will try to kill the prefet.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Dec 12, 2013 1:43 AM

May 2011
Great OST used here, gives the police detective vibes with hints of mystery. Not as great as Kawai Kenji's compositions in the films, but well done. Kind of expected Laughing Man to involve masses of people (somewhat reminded me of Dollars in DRRR and the Knights in Lain), however, I still don't get how the others (civilians) are attacking the Minister out of just a simple announcement, without brain-hacked, infected, had past grudges whatsoever. This case can get extremely complicated, being a Stand Alone Complex.
"If you reject me, I'll blast a hole in you!" Kanzaki H. Aria
Just kidding.

Apr 27, 2014 11:04 PM

Mar 2013
I can't for the life of me find the song at the beginning of this episode. The epic violin one.
[size=200]MAL AVATAR SYSTEM BLOWS
Apr 28, 2014 8:35 AM

Oct 2009
DerpHole said:
I can't for the life of me find the song at the beginning of this episode. The epic violin one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DqWR4yL2dY

It starts at 37:24 in this video.

Download links for the unreleased music are in the description, it's track 24 in pack 2.
Jun 9, 2014 5:58 AM

Nov 2011
5/5

Episode fabulous, interesting plot, full of facets starting with the characters and Motoko Aramaki. Narrative full of everything, action, suspense and divine designs.
Animations excellent, the greater the uniform is very good compared to his usual attire.
Dialogues very beautiful.
Jul 15, 2014 3:39 PM

Jun 2012
Finally decided to resume this anime, damn it's so good. This could get confusing.

Can't wait to find out what happens next, i wonder what ridiculous twists they have in store for me :P
Does anyone else need a doctor to confirm that someone without a head is dead?
Dec 29, 2014 8:41 PM

Nov 2011
I'm actually noticing the OST a little (in a good way). I normally don't give much conscious attention to that sort of thing.

I think the title of this episode, "Meme", was brilliant because it shed a lot of interesting ideas on the events that transpired. In a society that is so heavily connected to and dependent upon the internet that one can literally connect with their own brain, could memes, even malicious ones, end up surfacing and influencing people in real life? This group of Laughing Man fanatics seems to be a logical extreme of the concept, and to be honest it's pretty scary.

It's too early to make any definite conclusions, but I'm particularly interested in the man who shot the hacker and the person (or "thing") that hacked the security guard's brain.

Also... I am the only who thinks these anti-cyberization "extremists" aren't really that extreme? I mean, just look at how dangerous this is.

I'm not justifying these acts of terrorism if they're by anti-cyberization groups, but I can definitely relate to the sentiment.
Feb 2, 2015 11:32 AM

Nov 2013
Remembering who originally brought the case to light for them was a nice touch, pretty cool way to finish off the episode.
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
Mar 5, 2015 10:57 AM

Jul 2012
I think the Laughing Man will end up being something like project 2501, although it'd be too predictable
Mar 21, 2015 1:52 PM

Feb 2015
I honestly thought Nanao was the original Laughing Man. Probably could be the guy who took care of him, who knows.
Jun 22, 2015 10:28 AM

Oct 2014
ricardocsc said:
damn... this is a really complex anime... hard to follow when you dont watch with full attention...
Oct 17, 2015 10:39 AM

May 2014
The Major is starting to see laughing man symbols everywhere. Is she infected or something? Tell the chief! Also when chief said that there may not be an original laughing man, makes me think the laughing man might be like the puppet master from the original movie.
~ The world is not beautiful, therefore it is.
Jan 10, 2016 3:54 AM

Apr 2013
Finally Motoko wore some normal clothes, maybe people will shut up about it now xD

Phenomanan said:
The Major is starting to see laughing man symbols everywhere. Is she infected or something? Tell the chief! Also when chief said that there may not be an original laughing man, makes me think the laughing man might be like the puppet master from the original movie.

That's actually an interesting thought, maybe she really is infected O_O
May 7, 2016 11:02 PM

Jul 2011
The laughing man logo is a pop-culture icon. That's why it's everywhere. Major's just starting to notice its prominence now because of the case. I think it's also suppose to serve as a kind of imagery/metaphor for the idea behind the laughing man and the discussion on standalone complexes.

Last two episodes really ramped it up and a large smack of nostalgia since I'm rewatching after 4 years. :3
Sep 15, 2016 12:05 PM

Dec 2012
Damn did that episode escalate! I couldn't help but find it comical when all of those assailants were like "Daido! Why'd you do it?!? Daido! Say your prayers! Daido! Tell us the truth!" There's still so many things I don't understand about this series and the world building, but this Laughing Man incident definitely has my full attention.
Jan 9, 2017 2:16 PM

Jan 2012
Interesting! The Major is asking some really good and thought provoking questions. Cant wait for the case to start! And RIP Yamaguchi :(
Dec 19, 2017 5:55 PM

Jul 2016
Wow.. great episode! I may have been too harsh on episode 5, but they really made up for it with this Laughing Man story line progressing further. Also the animation is now starting to grow on me. This show really needs my undivided attention, otherwise I'm screwed.
Jan 1, 2018 5:10 PM

Jan 2014
Yikes, the ending with more Laughing Man logos on other people. 2spooky4me.

On the other hand, the city backgrounds/landscapes were mesmerizing. I hope there's more worldbuilding. Would be cool.

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Apr 19, 2018 9:13 AM

Apr 2014
I didn't think I'd have a thing for Major in a military outfit, and more so skirt.

But I sure do.
Nov 16, 2018 2:44 PM

Nov 2016
> episode title meme
> 39 copycats

Very interesting episode and the possibility that there wasn't even any laughing man to begin with makes this even more brilliant.

I still want to know who the shooter is.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 26, 2019 11:29 PM

Feb 2017
It's time to investigate the police. That sounds like a complex task.
Apr 5, 2019 4:15 PM

Mar 2017
The old man with the sideways baseball cap was too much xD
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Aug 8, 2008

85 by ahhellno »»
Yesterday, 10:02 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 6, 2008

74 by irisld »»
May 5, 11:59 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

153 by MineFord_gurme »»
Apr 5, 7:53 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Stand Alone Complex Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

OranSolus - Jul 17, 2008

88 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:33 AM

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

aero - Sep 8, 2008

50 by MajedM1999 »»
Feb 17, 5:32 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.