Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 26, 2007 2:37 PM

Oct 2006
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.----------------------------------------

Well, this was probably the ep I enjoyed the most.
Moji managed to give is death some meaning. His battle was also my favorite.. coz it wasn't just mindless bashing but it had strategy in it.
Now this time the enemy mecha showed a "clear" relation with the Zearth Pilot... if we can say so. It split in 2 like Moji's two friends. Maybe your theory really was right cyruz.
And he also pointed out what I and a few other members have been saying. Those Robots aren't just machines, they probably have pilots of their own
KayrhandrosJul 26, 2007 3:12 PM
Jul 27, 2007 1:35 PM

Apr 2007
The enemies have to have living beings inside going by the whole lights = pilots info revealed several episodes back. The question is who really is the enemy and the more that's revealed, the more I'm connecting it to my theories from the enemy mecha speculation thread from last month. This is the second fight where the kids and adults didn't know where they were. There were no government surveilance around and nothing recognizable for them to tell where they were at during the fight. I think it's too convenient how the view outside Zearth is only presented at the very start of a battle and then blanked out immediately afterwards.

I thought the first couple of mecha Zearth faced off against weren't a fair match up due to their design. The one Daiichi faced for example could only roll around which makes it easy pickings for a robot that has a full range of motion like a human would. Chizuru's was the same. The one she faced only had one form of serious attack which was its saw blades. The robot didn't have any real way to defend itself. I thought the one from the last episode would pose a real challenge because it also had a humanoid design but they ended up rushing that fight. For this episode it's a good thing Moji was able to think up a good strategy for the fight. Otherwise the odds definitely were not in his favor.

Moji's story ended in yet another sad and touching death. It was almost in the same vein of Daiichi's sacrifice. On the other hand Jun continues to make me angry with his constant negativity just dragging everyone down around him. It looks like Kana's plight to find Jun's mother won't reach a conclusion anytime soon so he'll still be (unfortunately) sticking around.

...even a saint needs a soldier to do the dirty work.
Jul 28, 2007 7:26 PM

Mar 2007
Well, I must admit I was skeptical about the whole "enemy mecha being related to Zearth's pilot somehow" theory, but this episode made me believe. Just the way that the triangle of Mogi, Tsubasa and Nagi was represented in the battle (which one has the heart?) left no doubts in my mind.

I'm really looking forward to when this series begins to delve into the mysteries surrounding the 'game'. These individual stories are good, but somehow I think the overall story will blow them out of the water :)
You've come a long way, baby.
Jul 29, 2007 3:42 AM

Oct 2006
tainteddonut said:
The enemies have to have living beings inside going by the whole lights = pilots info revealed several episodes back. The question is who really is the enemy and the more that's revealed, the more I'm connecting it to my theories from the enemy mecha speculation thread from last month. This is the second fight where the kids and adults didn't know where they were. There were no government surveilance around and nothing recognizable for them to tell where they were at during the fight. I think it's too convenient how the view outside Zearth is only presented at the very start of a battle and then blanked out immediately afterwards.
So you're thinking

tainteddonut said:
I thought the first couple of mecha Zearth faced off against weren't a fair match up due to their design. The one Daiichi faced for example could only roll around which makes it easy pickings for a robot that has a full range of motion like a human would. Chizuru's was the same. The one she faced only had one form of serious attack which was its saw blades. The robot didn't have any real way to defend itself. I thought the one from the last episode would pose a real challenge because it also had a humanoid design but they ended up rushing that fight. For this episode it's a good thing Moji was able to think up a good strategy for the fight. Otherwise the odds definitely were not in his favor.
It's true that most of the mechas until now weren't really a fair match for Zearth. Zearth is a way more balanced robot that's for sure. I guess that's a bit "unfair" for the enemy pilots

tainteddonut said:
Moji's story ended in yet another sad and touching death. It was almost in the same vein of Daiichi's sacrifice. On the other hand Jun continues to make me angry with his constant negativity just dragging everyone down around him. It looks like Kana's plight to find Jun's mother won't reach a conclusion anytime soon so he'll still be (unfortunately) sticking around.
I totally agree. And that Jun guy is starting to get on my nerves ^^. I feel like sending Chuck there to roundhouse kick him :P

_Sakura_ said:
I'm really looking forward to when this series begins to delve into the mysteries surrounding the 'game'.
we all are :)
Aug 1, 2007 2:27 AM

Apr 2007
Another great ep, but i would have liked to see the reaction of Moji's freinds when they saw he was the donor.

And oh noes! My 2nd fav char is the next pilot! T_T
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 5, 2007 4:22 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Heh, I'm glad my theory worked out so well this time, can't wait to see what else they have up their sleeves regarding that.

Everything's been said basically, I also thought it was great how Moji handled the situation.

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Apr 10, 2008 1:16 PM

Apr 2007
Siing said:
but i would have liked to see the reaction of Moji's freinds when they saw he was the donor.

Yea I was hoping we'd get to see that as well, but I guess not :( Still a great episode regardless though.

Looks like Maki is up next it seems. Still waiting for when Ushiro is the pilot, but they must be saving him for something towards the end just because of the dynamic he creates with the rest of the cast.
Aug 21, 2008 5:43 PM
Oct 2007
Well, wasn't as sad as the other episodes since Moji was willing to die and was able to save someone because of his death.. Meh.. Was a nice, proper fight.. Using your head n all..

Kirei kinda emo? Uhm, hell no.. -.-
Guy looks geeky, but i'm sure he'll pwn yer face bigtime.. Fufu..
Sep 3, 2008 9:53 PM

Dec 2007
Kayrhandros said:

My thoughts exactly starting with this one, and because of that

Rather touching episode, someone making sure that his friend will live and be happy with the girl he always wanted to be with.

Maki's next and she's awesome, it's going to suck to see her go.

#NBHNC
Jun 27, 2010 3:18 AM
Feb 2009
damn what a great friendd
Sep 1, 2010 12:39 PM

Mar 2008
Awwwh my fave...

*cries*

The one which got me the closest to tears...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 28, 2010 9:16 PM

May 2010
Noo! Damnit! I really liked Moji - I wanted him to stay on till near the end. He was one of the few really likeable characters.

Glasses face needs a good smacking - I don't care if he has problems. So do most of the kids there, and they turned out fine.
Jan 19, 2011 7:00 PM
Dec 2009
I don't believe Maki is up next. She is my favorite girl in the series. ;_;
Jan 27, 2011 4:24 AM

Mar 2009
Moji's a really nice fellow.
Mar 30, 2011 2:27 PM

Oct 2009
The enemy robot this episode is...a pair of ninja mushrooms.

And even though Moji died, he was able to save the life of another person because of it. He really got the most meaning and use out of what they could do with his body after he died.

And nooo, next episode...it's my favorite character's turn to pilot. ;__;
Sep 12, 2011 3:11 PM

Apr 2010
At least he managed to save his friend and maybe gave him and Tsubasa an promising future, if in the end there even will be a earth left.
Oct 28, 2011 8:48 PM

Apr 2011
This series is oh so awesome ... but oh so sad :'( Every episode they let us into one of the kids' lives, only to snuff it out at the end after a (by anime terms) short battle. Moji had some real strategy, that's for sure. Served him well, and Dung Beetle was even impressed. Good thing for his buddy who needed a heart, too.

These 'away games' ... I kinda wish I hadn't gotten spoiled as to where they are when they're fighting, or what's inside the robots. They're definitely not just automatons, as Moji figured out ...
Apr 1, 2012 12:23 PM
Mar 2012
Good episode, although still formulaic, as usual. The battle was more interesting this time around. Confirmed a suspicion that I had about the enemy mechs (that they are either piloted by humans or are otherwise somehow sentient). Dung Beetle is at least fairly reliable when it comes to the childrens' last wishes. I liked the character and his life story.

I'm still waiting for this show to really get going, though.

4/5
May 20, 2012 7:35 AM

Nov 2011
To begin with, the in-anime game had a very intriguing concept so personally it's welcoming that the scriptwriters are being integral with it and not making the storytelling convenient for them (edit: I said this in the assumption that there would be a 'happy' ending so I might be wrong here). To elaborate: in this episode the element of randomness is still being preserved (I love how up to this point there's been a huge bias on boys being chosen to be the pilot: it comes across as utterly random rather than merely psuedorandom) concurrent to the characterisation of Moji who proves that he was the true leader of the group. Thus I can't wait to see how the groups dynamics change as the unprecedentedly important responsibility continues to gnaw at them- furthermore if Ano gets bumped off next episode (which looks like it to me but could be wrong :/).

As a sidenote: Given that this series is genre-tagged as psychological I was expecting Dung Beetle to turn down Moji's last request but obviously when it isn't know what his true agenda is at this point I should look past that opportunity the writers had to really darken the tone of the series.
PreFuturism-0May 20, 2012 12:46 PM
Jun 22, 2012 12:17 PM

Jan 2009
I thought that the transplant might not have worked, since this robot sucks there life force.

Also, my favorite character is gone :(
Jul 13, 2012 9:25 AM
Apr 2011
I think my favourite episode so far, probably cause I love Moji's character. Great episode but I was hoping to see his friends' reactions when they find out that Moji is the donor. It's not everyday your friend you were speaking to like a few hours ago donates his heart so you would live :/
Nov 12, 2012 6:56 PM

Mar 2012
Broji's definitely one of my favorite characters from this show. It would have been interesting to see if the two found out he was the donor and all.
Apr 28, 2013 8:46 PM

Jan 2013
nother good episode
Sep 16, 2013 8:49 PM

Oct 2011
I think his personality was kinda generic... I don't like those 100% good characters, they feel fake.

Ushiro is my favorite <3 I'm looking forward to his story.
Mar 4, 2014 10:59 AM

May 2012
Another great episode and well at least he didn't died for nothing and saved another live (destroying a couple thousand if not more with fighting in the city though) but still I wonder what he now also said, could the opponents just like them be controlled by other humans?
Jun 15, 2014 2:59 PM
Apr 2013
Still very depressing but it's full of meaning and addresses issues that are rarely effectively explored, especially the whole issue of what to do with imminent death.
RedhillsJun 15, 2014 3:05 PM
Aug 9, 2014 7:44 PM
Feb 2013
Nothing too special about this episode, still a good episode, but the character here had a realistic personality so points for that.
Jan 24, 2015 2:59 PM
Apr 2013
And again, another character with parenting problems. Aside from their enemies resembling their situation in some way, I think their tattoos are related to them in some way. Waku's arm, Kodama arms, Kako's face, Chizu's neck, Daichi's chest, Mako's leg and Moji's neck to arm... They all feel like them.
Moji's a really good strategist. He also showed um what many theories said here: the enemies are not simply machines. He semeed quite ok with that fact tho...
Crazy idea, what if the enemies have something to do with one of their parents?
May 3, 2015 7:16 AM
Oct 2013
Best episode of bokurano untul now.
Nice Moji's sacrifice, give his heart to his best friend. :-)

Dec 25, 2016 2:45 AM

Oct 2013
still works as an episode and is nice and stuff but more

deviation? from the standard kid with a sad history vs robot
"Urushibara Ruka. The mannerisms and voice of a woman... No... More feminine than any woman. But he's a guy. Taller than Mayuri, but so very thin... But he's a guy. Looks great in a miko outfit... But he's a guy. It's already twilight And yet, it's so hot. The cicadas are crying. But... He's a guy."
Apr 1, 2017 12:20 PM
Jan 2012
Perhaps the theory is right and there are other kids (or just humans, but not kids?) inside the other mechas, too.

This was a nice episode. Moji went out saving his friend's life, which was pretty cool.
Feb 27, 2018 1:40 PM

Nov 2013
Tanaka-san is my favorite character. It's gonna suck when she will die.
May 23, 2018 6:48 AM

Apr 2014
This is probably one of the better kids backstories so far, better than the rest of the degenerates, anwyay.
Jan 4, 2021 6:14 PM
Jan 2016
I was expecting Dung Beetle to pull the rug under him at some point, but luckily for Moji and his friends that didn't happen. A rather happy ending; these last few episodes have been a bit brighter after that very dark Teacher storyline.

But I do kinda view the thing with his 2 friends getting together as a fairy tale. I think the more likely scenario is Tsubasa goes "ewww... you're like my brother!".

They're wiping out our characters pretty quick, 13 episodes left but only 8 kids left by my count and one of them (the little girl) didn't make the contract. Gotta be something to throw a wrench in things I assume.
Oct 11, 2021 2:32 AM

Jul 2016
moji's personality was worth more than his story to me, didn't give me much of an impact. i'm sure that it must be fleshed out more in the manga than the anime, because there could have been a lot to work with regarding his orphanage background. it's inferred just slightly that he does have some questionable views, as he revealed that he was thankful that the one who was bedridden wasn't tsukasa. but even then, he's pretty self reflective and generally as good of a guy as he was in the beginning. sucks that he's keen and observant during battle, dying out halfway through. even before piloting, he gave advice to the others. so far, gonna miss daichi and moji.

this episode seriously reminded me of evangelion, with the whole "the robots are not just robots." and mind warfare.

wait a second, forgot it, but did they not tell them that it was moji who was the donor? it sounds like they both don't know a thing. bro if i'm gonna donate my heart, i am not staying anonymous
Aug 5, 2023 9:18 AM

Dec 2022
Nagi has no idea how much he should be thanking Moji.

Since the enemy mechas have the same numbered light panels as the Zearth, and they are prone to psychological fakeouts, they're probably also piloted by other kids.

Shaded Horizon

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 16 Discussion

tainteddonut - Sep 9, 2007

33 by Crispydang »»
Mar 30, 2:44 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

cyruz - Oct 18, 2007

121 by Db_kamal »»
Oct 3, 2023 9:51 AM

» Bokurano Director Dislikes The Manga

tainteddonut - Jun 14, 2007

10 by trampler8324 »»
Sep 27, 2023 2:30 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 23 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 18, 2007

33 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 6, 2023 11:09 AM

Poll: » Bokurano Episode 20 Discussion

cyruz - Oct 3, 2007

28 by Archean-Return »»
Aug 6, 2023 8:44 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.