Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Apr 4, 2011 1:39 AM

Jan 2010
Better than Tiger and Bunny xD
Apr 4, 2011 1:52 AM

Jul 2010
finally, this and Steins;Gate will surely fill my anime needs this Spring season. I don't feel like watching anymore shows after seeing Steins and HanaIro's first episodes. ^^

and i already like the main character Ohana, you can't see a character like her nowadays. ^^
Simplistic beauty can't be appreciated by someone who looks for something grand in everything he watch.
Apr 4, 2011 2:04 AM

Nov 2009
Vforvendetta said:
there are 3 fansub groups doing this serries so far,
horrible
Hatsuyuki-Tsuki
Doki

O.o which one should I choose? I've already watched horriblesub's ver because they came earliest (and their subs seem to be fine, too), but what about the others?

has anyone answered my question :( ?
Apr 4, 2011 2:06 AM

Sep 2008
Vforvendetta said:
Vforvendetta said:
horrible
Hatsuyuki-Tsuki
Doki

O.o which one should I choose? I've already watched horriblesub's ver because they came earliest (and their subs seem to be fine, too), but what about the others?

Because such questions don't belong to the episode discussion. Ask again and the mods will probably give you a warning.
Apr 4, 2011 2:15 AM
Sep 2009
kokocho said:
I really liked it. It looks like it has the potential for some nice character development. Definitely looking forward to the next episode.

This sums up how I felt about the episode. + Ohana's hair is beyond amazing.
Apr 4, 2011 2:47 AM

Mar 2010
This is some good stuff. IT has been a long time since I've liked a show just by seeing the first episode. Great quality and with 24 episodes ahead this may be one of my favorites.
Apr 4, 2011 2:50 AM

Feb 2010
not mutch to say about the plot and character after one ep but the art and animation looks very good.
Apr 4, 2011 3:15 AM

Aug 2009
Too much soap opera for my taste, but Okada Mari's fresh and dramatic script/screenplay, wonderful character design and commendable animation sequences won me over. Starting with 8/10.
Apr 4, 2011 3:22 AM

Aug 2010
I absolutely loved it. Amazing production quality, no generic character types. This looks like its going to be good.

Wow people already rated it? Seriously? (-_-')
billngApr 4, 2011 3:26 AM
Apr 4, 2011 3:29 AM
Apr 2011
hello i am a new user

i am looking forward to watch it.......
Apr 4, 2011 3:33 AM

Nov 2009
seishi-sama said:
Vforvendetta said:
Vforvendetta said:
horrible
Hatsuyuki-Tsuki
Doki

Because such questions don't belong to the episode discussion. Ask again and the mods will probably give you a warning.

okay, I'm sorry 'bout that cause this is the first time I join a foreign community, dont need to be so mean.

back to the main points, I've been waiting for a year looking for animes with deep characters development, decent story, and hanasaku iroha is probably one of them. Of course, this has a potential to be the best series this season(spring ss). Not just like other ani these days which are full of harem, ecchi and other meaningless stuff...I really appreciate P.A Works's staffs for making such a beautiful art works. Perhaps it's too soon to be said so, but my instinct never goes wrong ;P

slice of life, drama, a little bit of romance and comedy combine together, they've shown us the first episode, which exceeded my expectation.

P/s: Ohana reminds me of Taigaa, they both have wave hairs, short in height and ... straight forward personality.
Apr 4, 2011 3:36 AM
Apr 4, 2011 3:40 AM

Oct 2008
Apr 4, 2011 3:49 AM
Oct 2010
First episode was pretty good.
But I don't dare to rate this yet.

I loved the animation, the settings and the characters, let's see how the plot goes.

Those who don't like the slice of life genre should stay clear... it doesn't look like the anime will deviate from that.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Apr 4, 2011 4:52 AM

Sep 2009
quote=billng]Wow people already rated it? Seriously? (-_-')i know right? (-_-')

-Really what is up with the negative aura in the inn? Poor Ohana (soo cute!..only the character design though)
-mommy, i expected a handsome bf though.
- anyways, 24 minutes of pure brillance! For a slice of life & 1st episode; the composition was well done. Great animation and the character designs are amazing.

Oh seinen♥~ 5/5
Apr 4, 2011 5:03 AM
Nov 2009
oh wow i mad
Apr 4, 2011 5:22 AM

Feb 2011
I already absolutely adore this anime. Have been missing a good slice of life show for a while now. I'm really looking forward to the next episode.

And I really like Minko's voice!
Apr 4, 2011 5:44 AM

Jul 2009
Watched on impulse, don't regret.

Sticking with.
Apr 4, 2011 5:50 AM

Aug 2009
An amazing episode! The art and animation is HNNNNGH worthy, it's absolutely beautiful!
5/5
Apr 4, 2011 6:32 AM
Feb 2011
i can't wait til episode 2, i may have to re-watch some true tears in the meantime :D
Apr 4, 2011 6:36 AM
Dec 2009
btw the character's designer is the one who designed Sora no Woto's characters
Apr 4, 2011 6:53 AM

Nov 2009
goku08 said:
btw the character's designer is the one who designed Sora no Woto's characters

No, in this case I think you're not exactly right, truth that he is the one who designed them, but he is not who modified them.
I mean the original characters are his designed, but the characters which we see in the whole series has been being modified again

Original Character Design: Mel Kishida
Character Design: Kanami Sekiguchi
Apr 4, 2011 6:54 AM

Feb 2011
mama i'm not actually your child trollolololol
that must the the most craziest phrase that a child can say to their mother >_<

but well this isn't so funny as i expect when ohana said that phrase.

still it's interesting turn out of events :)
Apr 4, 2011 6:55 AM

Sep 2010
This type of anime is what I like, a nice story (and a confession in the first 5 minutes) and great animation and music. Good job P.A. Works!
Also, does every P.A. Works anime have such a preview, because it was exactly the same as in Angel Beats!, with voices talking at the same time and a white screen with black text at the end.
Apr 4, 2011 7:02 AM

Oct 2010
The story here looks pretty interesting and I'm already starting to love the drama. I'm expecting it to become a great series it progresses. Can't wait to see how it gonna turn out.

I feel kinda bad for Ohana having to move to such an unpleasant place filled with ill willed people, and just because her crazy lazy mother's ugly boyfriend had to get them into debt too. Well, at least now she'll be ensured a more stable career future than just graduating in her home town. Still, poor Ohana.

(Oh, and the setting kinda reminds me ofr "Spirited Away")

Now I'm wondering whether it'll become the next best thing that will actually bring me to tears.
Apr 4, 2011 7:07 AM
Lewd Depresso

Jul 2008
Stupid inn managers always so strict!! Costumers first and their own life last. And beyond that -.- Damn who** Ungrateful bit**

Interesting yet sad anime..
Apr 4, 2011 7:28 AM

Aug 2010
Wow, didn't expect his be so good really. This anime caught my heart from the first 10 minutes. Hope it doesn't disappoints towards end since this looks really great. This has a generic 9/10 for start anyway :D
Apr 4, 2011 7:29 AM

Jul 2010
Very nice start. This slice of life/drama anime looks quite promising right from the beginning. Knowing that my fav seiyuu is voicing Ohana makes it better. 5/5 for this episode.
Looking forward to the next ones.
Apr 4, 2011 7:37 AM

Jun 2009
My god, what an amazing first episode. I already love this series. Can't wait for next episode,
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Apr 4, 2011 7:37 AM

Nov 2008
This looks exactly like my type of anime. I'm looking forward to it..and I hope Ko comes back at some point in the later episodes. That grandmother really is crazy. Ohana really is strong...but in the end her tears just came out. I really felt bad for her. Anyways great first episode.
I am a sucker for romance!!!!
]

Apr 4, 2011 7:38 AM

Feb 2011
not much as i expect
i can't confirm this anime yet
but i will watch 1 - 2 more episode to confirm
Apr 4, 2011 7:56 AM

Feb 2008
I feel like this series will become a quick fave for me this season.
The first episode was like "nothing much, nothing less" and was solid enough to follow.
I feel sad about Ko-chan... I want them to patch things up :'<

Anyways...I can't wait for the next episode.
The voice cast is remarkable and the animation is beautiful.

Apr 4, 2011 9:05 AM

Oct 2010
If the rest of the season is as good as the first episode then this could end up becoming one of my favorite shows.
Apr 4, 2011 10:21 AM

Apr 2009
Aversa said:
This a pretty harsh start and i feel sorry for Ohana.
At first i thought only her mother was irresponsible for sending her of the her grandmother with whom she herself has a bad relationship but after seeing the behavior of the grandmother i have to say that she is irresponsible as well.
In a way it's understandable that she treats her granddaughter of a disowned daughter with some hostility but why others as well.
I can understand that you let them do some work most kids have to do some form of chores at home but slapping them in such a way and blaming them for a others mistake is going to far.
Then there was the way of how the cook treated Minko which i also found pretty outrages, i have worked at many jobs and can tell this if someone treats you in such a way tell them to do it themselves you should not let yourself get treated in such a way.

I think it's supposed to be a contrast between urban and rural life in Japan. A lot of the differences in treatment from what you might expect are likely to demonstrate that contrast. In particular, note Ohana's comments on the city skyline, and then look at the scenery when she's talking outside with that other girl.

Also, I disagree with most of the opinions that I've seen in this thread. I don't like any of the characters, least of all Ohana herself. I don't agree with someone who goes somewhere new and thinks it's acceptable to impose her opinions and fantasies on everyone there. Ohana doesn't seem to think anything through at all, and I actually wanted her to get slapped by her grandmother for being so careless. That said, I think the characters are just flawed enough to have genuinely interesting interactions, and that's why I'm going to keep watching this show. As YGH mentioned, though (and in their words), I hope it doesn't go the way of "over-privileged kid forced to work and eventually wins the hearts of the people around her."
Apr 4, 2011 11:23 AM

May 2010
Haven't watch slice of life + drama lately. Pretty good start for the ep.

The art is just soothing to my eyes. This just made me thought to glimpse a while in reality while watching this.
Apr 4, 2011 11:30 AM

Aug 2008
Nothing special, I'll not follow.

but has become overrated...
Apr 4, 2011 11:44 AM

Jun 2009
Wow, didn't know it would become this interesting.

Apr 4, 2011 11:47 AM

Nov 2007
Delightful first episode. Good pacing, lovely art and animation, and the fact that not all the characters are likeable only makes it more interesting.
I got some Summer Wars vibes from the way all the characters at the inn were introduced, especially the uncle.

movip1991 said:
I don't like any of the characters, least of all Ohana herself. I don't agree with someone who goes somewhere new and thinks it's acceptable to impose her opinions and fantasies on everyone there.

I agree a bit. Like Minko, I would be pissed off as well if some stranger started ripping out plants from my garden. But as you said, Ohana comes from a different environment and needs some time to adjust. I didn't get the impression she's a girl who doesn't think before she acts, but we'll see.
Apr 4, 2011 11:50 AM

Feb 2011
The animation quality is flawless, on par with KyoAni's Nichijou (although of vastly different style). I absolutely love all the characters including Obaasan; and I am really interested in seeing how relationship between her and Ohana will develop.

thyyg said:
Nothing special, I'll not follow.

but has become overrated...

what is this, I don't even--
Apr 4, 2011 12:17 PM

Jan 2011
Overrated? An episode in? If this show has been able to accomplish this; it's my favorite already.
9/10 since I want to see granny get owned somewhere in the next 25 episodes. PACHA
Apr 4, 2011 1:03 PM
Apr 2010

I THINK NOT!
Apr 4, 2011 1:08 PM

Jun 2008
Wow.
Noto Mamiko can actually do other characters.
Apr 4, 2011 1:10 PM

Jul 2010
What a lovely bunch over there... -_-

I can't understand her mother just sending her over to a grandmother she doesn't even know. Why couldn't she just move with them? They looked so happy on that photo and meanwhile Ohana has to work her ass off and get's treated ungratefully to boot.

Frustrating, but very interesting. Great art and good voice cast (Saten-saann! =D).
Gonna keep following this one.

Apr 4, 2011 1:42 PM

Sep 2010
It looks like an nice anime. But I hate that grandmother :P
Apr 4, 2011 1:52 PM
Dec 2009
MiMikuChan said:

all do although I think she does that 4 there benefit
Apr 4, 2011 2:27 PM
Oct 2009
sufficiently amused by the first episode, looks enjoyable, plus it has arashiyama. i don't know if i'll make it 26 episodes, but i'll give it a try.
Apr 4, 2011 3:01 PM

Jan 2011
Yep I'm going to have to agree with everyone! I really enjoyed the first ep and have to say I'm pretty excited for the ride. Also having 26 episodes over the usual 12 is relieving.
Apr 4, 2011 3:18 PM

Jul 2010
MiMikuChan said:
but when she inevitably at some much later point lets out a tiny inkling of a smile or says thank you or something, it's going to make you feel so good
AJAJAJAJAJA
Apr 4, 2011 3:34 PM

Mar 2010
Chibi-Alice said:
Wow.
Noto Mamiko can actually do other characters.

I suggest you to watch Mnemosyne.

Apr 4, 2011 3:41 PM

Oct 2006
What the fuck is wrong with the people in this show?
Pages (8) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

metalsnakezero - Apr 17, 2011

256 by kirA_-_ »»
Apr 22, 1:00 PM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsubasalover - Sep 25, 2011

327 by SlammyHammy »»
Jan 31, 8:45 PM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

ImNotLulexiaa - Sep 18, 2011

110 by Lazulite »»
Jan 11, 11:08 AM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Jrittmayer - Sep 11, 2011

120 by Lazulite »»
Jan 11, 10:40 AM

Poll: » Hanasaku Iroha Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

zimno - Sep 4, 2011

122 by Lazulite »»
Jan 10, 12:46 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.