Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
Feb 25, 2011 4:59 PM

Mar 2010
That made me kinda sad D:
I can't believe that guy might of been Claines father. ><
Feb 25, 2011 5:00 PM

Oct 2009
Daddy...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 25, 2011 5:09 PM
Dec 2007
Pretty sweet episode, even if the plot holes are piling up by the minute.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Feb 25, 2011 5:36 PM

Apr 2010
Wow, i'd probably have to say this is either the best episode so far, or it's on par with the Episode 3 "Granitz Village" where the whole Fractal system massacre took place.
Feb 25, 2011 6:17 PM

Jul 2008
Phryne's character is quite simple.
Due to her situation as the Fractale's priestess she can't afford to love or get attached to someone so she force this belief into herself. The problem is that she is human and do get attached unwillingly to people and when she realise she might get a little too close, she try to take a step away.

Basically her mind fight against what she want and what she beleive is the best for her, most probably one of the most human character of the show.
Feb 25, 2011 7:26 PM

Jul 2010
Leon-Gun said:
We've seen that people who lose connection with the system get sickly and lose all drive to live, only seeking a way to reconnect to the system. If we think of it that way it wouldn't really be that unrealistic for him to look a little older and sickly. It would also explain his drive to create that tower to reconnect the area to the system. Now what I really want to know is how can Clain be alright even though he still has his terminal (which means he's still connected to Fractale.). There's way too many holes in this story.
I don't think it's that they become sick if/when they lose connection to the Fractale. I took it as when they lose connection they have no means to treat themselves since they've been spoon-fed their whole life. They depend on Fractale for everything, thus they have no way of knowing what to do with themselves without it.
Feb 25, 2011 7:50 PM
Dec 2007
Iilia said:
Leon-Gun said:
We've seen that people who lose connection with the system get sickly and lose all drive to live, only seeking a way to reconnect to the system. If we think of it that way it wouldn't really be that unrealistic for him to look a little older and sickly. It would also explain his drive to create that tower to reconnect the area to the system. Now what I really want to know is how can Clain be alright even though he still has his terminal (which means he's still connected to Fractale.). There's way too many holes in this story.
I don't think it's that they become sick if/when they lose connection to the Fractale. I took it as when they lose connection they have no means to treat themselves since they've been spoon-fed their whole life. They depend on Fractale for everything, thus they have no way of knowing what to do with themselves without it.
Possibly, although that still means they get sick mmore easily due to the fact they don't know how to care for themselves. It is possible that even their immune system depends on it. But as I said, they haven't explained a lot of things and because of that there are way too many plotholes.

Feb 25, 2011 8:49 PM
Apr 2009
Coyote said:
I think the guy was his grandfather.

So far we know that the father:
Lives freely the same as the mother.
Tells Clain to throw away his antiques all the time.

The guy from this episode looks kinda old (he is even sick) and his way of thinking is really different to Clain's dad. Maybe they had a discussion and put distance between them.

quoted for great truth

also am i the only one who saw that albino guy being a bad guy from a mile away?
Feb 25, 2011 8:52 PM

Mar 2009
brecho said:
The guy that fell haven't been injected yet, so it really didn't make sense.
I think they simply don't give a f*ck about plot consistency, character development and some other determinants of a good story. It's almost like every episode is written by someone else, who only read the synopsis of previous ones. Somewhere near the beginning of this anime Phryne was surprised that Clain can make dopplers disappear only because he wants it. Where is that "power" now? L.M. was chasing Phryne but did they even explain why exactly is she so important after getting their hand on the girl? That's it for now as I'm to distracted by HawthorneKitty's signature...

He was the first one who was injected. I think the reason why he fell off the cliff is because the image of the town wasn't real; that is, it seemed to me to be a doppel, if that's possible. The man was so wrapped up in the 'town' that he forgot about the actual land he was in.
<i>When all else is lost, the future still remains</i>
Feb 25, 2011 9:26 PM

Jul 2009
Phryne is getting more annoying every episode >_< Like seriously randomly stripping WTF? Clain was annoying too in this episode actually
Anyways the radio wave stuff and how it projected the town was interesting. Dias and his group seem pretty interesting too
Not enough Nessa lol
Stealing is not cool -_-"
So I guess that old man could possibly be Clain's father? I thought he was like travelling or something? Well, whatever
Feb 25, 2011 10:56 PM

Jul 2010
Phryne is so annoying. Is she that stupid? Her existence comes first instead of realizing that she's a girl?! That is bull!
Feb 25, 2011 11:09 PM

Aug 2010
animelly said:
Phryne is so annoying. Is she that stupid? Her existence comes first instead of realizing that she's a girl?! That is bull!

The feminism movement would like a word with you.
Feb 26, 2011 1:52 AM

Sep 2010
Everybody is corrupted.....
Feb 26, 2011 7:24 AM

Jul 2009
ManInBlack said:
I'll just leave this behind....

I see what you did there. Magnificently.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Feb 26, 2011 9:54 AM

May 2010
Great episode.

Phryne's random stripping FTW

Honestly, I didn't think that the old man was Clain's father until I read the previous posts. =.=

Anyway, if that was true, it's just sad.

Also the town scenery changing is just pleasing to the eyes :)
Feb 26, 2011 1:22 PM

May 2010
That was an interesting twist.
Real Hell is inside a person-Ai Enma (Jigoku Shoujo Mitsuganae)
Do you know where hell is? Inside your head-Chrona (Soul Eater)

Feb 26, 2011 3:56 PM

Oct 2010
This episode was amazing in being nice and fuzzy with introducing Clain's father although I really wish he told him that he is his father. Not announcing it at all was just not effective in conveying the warm fuzzy feeling this series is made to show at some times. Clain, Phryne and Enri's facial expressions were great and showed nicely their character as well as some of Nessa. Clain was definitely cute as a baby,

I also noticed his mother looks like Phryne, does she not? Also Dias has my grudge! WTF guy? You lie to the people that you are curing them and helping only to entice them into working for your cause through killing one of them as he escapes? Well fuck you shit head! That's not right at all! Alabaster is pure shit! I would go with the Danan people any time.

About Phryne, she started to be quite funny through her potato peeling. Insisting that she wants to peel them to have a perfect peel being straight. That was funny. Looks like her facial expression says that she wants to join Nessa with the kid in swimming. Which comes what is the best fan service of her with ass showing and breast combination in the spoiler
as if that was not enough there is another fan service of a close up of her ass when she climbs with Clain behind her on the antenna. IMO she is well built and I guess the other factor of all this is that she is not afraid of showing her body while many other girls in anime would just wuss out with flushing or embarrassment. Not Phryne and not a chance of it from what I seen in this episode. Now I am not surprised why she was stoic when Clain was all over her in the last episode during the ship's malfunction. I liked how Phryne's face was when she reacted to Clain's claim of a guy's promise between guys. Certainly her mentioning not being a girl but a existence known as Phryne proves that she does not care about her being a girl but more for I am therefore I interact. I liked her facial expression of anger when she knew better than Clain about Alabaster having their own problems.

Obviously she saw things differently than Clain about them. It was lovely indeed to see Phryne do competition with Clain in running towards the house of his father. While the end result gave out a nicely out of breath blushed Phryne with a Clain that is worn out as well. I liked how Phryne notices the picture while I find the old tech fascinating at the same time. In the end I hope that the picture that Phryne shows to Enri is one she will cherish and keep. It's a excellent memory object to remind herself of Clain as well as his family.

About Clain, he was very expressive in this episode. I liked a lot his facial expressions. His first one of his reaction towards seeing Phryne naked sure reminds that he is still the healthy boy and not zombie like of some people being obsessed with Fractale system. When he fell from the mountain, his expression of butt hurt was so laughable. His reaction to being thrown cold water by Nessa/little kid was quite fun to see. It fascinating that he was so joyful in the spoiler
towards seeing his father with a camera. I guess it was for him a total intellectual/technological orgasm. Upon him arriving at his father's place he got the ITO (referring to intellectual technological orgasm). It further just emphasizes that he is complete passionate extremely towards old technologies such as what in IRL present time is a cellphone. He was so butt hurt with his facial expression that there is no more soup left. Comes Sunda and what is my favorite expression of him in the spoiler
IMO that is the best of him. He was quite comedic with begging to Phryne about letting him be from the night watch in order to respect his father's promise that he made. He was quite excited at his father letting Phryne join in while assuming that she is his girlfriend. I loved how he reacted to seeing Phryne's ass, yet another good healthy boy expressing a shy side to him.

About Clain's father, the first thing that was impressive with him is all those antennas on top of his house. His first appearance says to me that he works really hard with sweat pouring out of him on the antennas. Clain's father sure defends his property a lot from the people that are moving out to somewhere else. I loved Clain's father double barrel in the spoiler
it looks so old school and nice. What was really interesting is his passion for catching the radio waves of the Fractale system. Since the balloons of it collapsed and do not offer those radio waves anymore, his antennas can capture and produce the end result. Which itself is interesting as it shows how a wasteland is covered in virtual reality environment. Even the sky was covered in hexagonal virtual reality plates that changed it into a blue sky. In the end I agree with him about his house, that of it being there while all that is produced as data will never be but something of imaginary nature made by technological advancement. As a example: kind of like anime is that it will never replace your real family no matter how much you indulge yourself in it.
Rest in spoiler
BTW Clain is becoming 100% more and more like him.

- BLOG - My Club- Easiest way to reach the rest of my thoughts!
Feb 26, 2011 7:26 PM
Aug 2008
the abundance of plot holes is becoming annoying.
I don't understand why this man, who is even assumed by so many to be his father, would not tell Clain who he is, and even point a gun - at his own son?
I could see him being the father, too, but even if he's only some close relation who took pictures, why wouldn't he tell Clain that he knew his father? Or mother? Did "father" not even recognize him? ~_~
The fact that Clain didn't recognize his own father can be written off to his general stupidity, or his lack of memories about the man, or the man having changed too much for a child to notice the similarity between him and some photograph or even the video from ep1 (if father was at all recorded there because we don't get to see the whole thing).
Feb 26, 2011 8:28 PM

Dec 2010
Sieirra said:
the abundance of plot holes is becoming annoying.
I don't understand why this man, who is even assumed by so many to be his father, would not tell Clain who he is, and even point a gun - at his own son?
I could see him being the father, too, but even if he's only some close relation who took pictures, why wouldn't he tell Clain that he knew his father? Or mother? Did "father" not even recognize him? ~_~
The fact that Clain didn't recognize his own father can be written off to his general stupidity, or his lack of memories about the man, or the man having changed too much for a child to notice the similarity between him and some photograph or even the video from ep1 (if father was at all recorded there because we don't get to see the whole thing).

Not sure if they've ever shown that Clain has have contact with his family physically since he was young and conscious enough. I'm thinking Clain may have depended on the Fractale system since birth and his parents are distanced because of work or something...

When Nessa was swimming and told Phryne to join them Phryne made such a funny face. I thought she was getting mad at Nessa and was about to yell at her but I should have known better.

The random stripping tendencies and the many intents of pervert jokes/situations with Clain is also getting boring.
Feb 26, 2011 9:03 PM

Oct 2010
br87mal said:
That could be problem indeed but the reason goes back to as why would they let his son be cared by a system? It's most certain that Clain has his terminal within him yet he is not as the others were in communications. He still does has progress to do with communications but he looks better off then other people that depended on the system itself, that's IMO.

Feb 26, 2011 10:10 PM
Dec 2007
Yumekichi11 said:
That could be problem indeed but the reason goes back to as why would they let his son be cared by a system? It's most certain that Clain has his terminal within him yet he is not as the others were in communications. He still does has progress to do with communications but he looks better off then other people that depended on the system itself, that's IMO.
To me that remains as just one big gaping plothole unless they come up with some explanation. This show has always given me the feeling that every episode is written by different scenario writers (which is actually not uncommon) all of which just merely glance at the overall idea of the story before writing the episode. There's just so many inconsistencies in character's actions from episode to episode. They haven't even touched upon the significance of Nessa, or Phryne for that matter, even though the terrorist guys spent so much time trying to catch both.

Feb 27, 2011 6:26 AM

Oct 2010
Leon-Gun said:
Yumekichi11 said:
To me that remains as just one big gaping plothole unless they come up with some explanation. This show has always given me the feeling that every episode is written by different scenario writers (which is actually not uncommon) all of which just merely glance at the overall idea of the story before writing the episode. There's just so many inconsistencies in character's actions from episode to episode. They haven't even touched upon the significance of Nessa, or Phryne for that matter, even though the terrorist guys spent so much time trying to catch both.
I agree with you my friend and so assuming certain elements with common sense like Phryne having been mistreated due to Nessa having a higher importance than her in the temple may be one possibility but there are still episodes left and you know as much as I do that they cram everything at the last minute, however the manga may prove useful to get more info.

Feb 27, 2011 1:17 PM
Sep 2009
Noice ass :S
Feb 27, 2011 9:31 PM

Jul 2008
Leon-Gun said:
Yumekichi11 said:

Plothole =/= Thing we have no information about.
Basically there is many things that may have happened.
Since Fractale was established it may have become a custom to live separately; like his parents told him in the first ep 'Living together is a proof that we don't trust each others' which look like a bullshit logic from this system.
It is easier to control many invidual than a few group of people.

Fractale has been shown to brainwash everyone; I won't say that this is the fruit of the devil and that it should be exterminated but that since the core is corrupted, the system lose all of his idealistic purpose which lead the watcher to associate with the naturalist community.

Also we do not have a clear overview of the dopple system yet. We don't know if the dopple are automatic system based on an individual's personnality that continue to evolve differently from what the human experimenced prior to the creation of the dopple or if the dopple is only an avatar personalised hologram system.

I will also quote what I said earlier about Phryne's character

Ginga-Bishoujo said:
Phryne's character is quite simple.
Due to her situation as the Fractale's priestess she can't afford to love or get attached to someone so she force this belief into herself. The problem is that she is human and do get attached unwillingly to people and when she realise she might get a little too close, she try to take a step away.

Basically her mind fight against what she want and what she beleive is the best for her, most probably one of the most human character of the show.
Feb 28, 2011 1:41 PM
Oct 2010
Ecchi RADAR! lol

Although it was more like Phryne was an "ecchi BEACON"... so combined was practically like an instant summon.

Anyway, the plot seems random so far but people, just go with the flow, you'll enjoy the show better. Maybe, though just maybe, the plot will wrap up properly by the end.
"Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain"
Friedrich Schiller
Feb 28, 2011 3:26 PM

May 2008
About falling off the cliff:

My take is that the city projection simply wasn't based on that area. Since they were in a dead zone, camera man basically used his antenna array to pirate somewhere else's signal and reproject it. Or, perhaps, he had some kind of hard copy of it he was attempting to process with the collection of antiquated computer equipment in his house, which is why he couldn't maintain it. In either case, it wasn't a projection for that area.

As for the character that fell off the cliff, I just assumed it was someone who hadn't been injected yet.

Also, dat ass.
chicanerousFeb 28, 2011 6:55 PM
Mar 2, 2011 3:11 AM

Dec 2010
Kind of a Castle in the Sky meets Last Exile thing goin' on here...
Mar 2, 2011 12:24 PM

Feb 2009
I think it's sad Phryne stole those pictures.
Mar 2, 2011 1:16 PM

Jan 2008
Hey... something just hit me: how the hell did she take off ALL her clothes in one quick swipe? We already saw she wears those things on her legs, and those can only be removed by making a downward movement... Phryne the magic stripper?
Mar 2, 2011 2:04 PM
Dec 2007
Ahohime said:
I think it's sad Phryne stole those pictures.
You know, more than sad I thought it was rather mean she would steal precious pictures from a sick man. Maybe she's a kleptomaniac. Wouldn't surprise me considering the amount of additions and changes to her personality we've seen so far.

Mar 2, 2011 3:40 PM

Jul 2009
DmonHiro said:
Hey... something just hit me: how the hell did she take off ALL her clothes in one quick swipe? We already saw she wears those things on her legs, and those can only be removed by making a downward movement... Phryne the magic stripper?

She's just that good.
Don't forget.
Always, somewhere,
someone is fighting for you.
As long as you remember her,
you are not alone.
Mar 7, 2011 3:21 PM
Mar 2010
Very good episode!!! Phyrine begins to like me.... but she remains crazy, also Clain seems more reliable then some episodes ago...
This anime is very good, but now it need an increase in the plot, I hope we will see some exciting moments next episodes...

next to 7th ep
Apr 2, 2011 7:27 PM

Mar 2009
Decent episode. It was funny when Phryne called the old man Mr Pervert.
Apr 4, 2011 1:28 PM

Aug 2010
Phryne made me HGNNHHG
Apr 11, 2011 3:27 AM
May 2009
Maybe the dopel dad was his step dad. after all his mum did want him to throw away all his old antiques.
May 6, 2011 5:07 AM

Dec 2009
Now that was an unexpected ending.
Jul 6, 2011 8:52 PM

Nov 2009
datass.
Jul 9, 2011 11:46 AM
Jul 2010
Interesting. But why is the Fractale System collapsing? Anyway, I totally didn't expect that guy to be Clain's father. However, the antenna thing was wired. The town had so many houses and even a river and they all disappeared when the balloon crashed? Just what degree of control does the Fractale System has upon the world? Were the houses also an illusion? Like dopples?
Sep 8, 2013 11:53 AM

Jan 2013
Still good halfway through.
Dec 6, 2013 10:54 AM

May 2012
Oh wow, this sure was an awesome episode, that that was actually his father was quite impressive! Well let's see what will happen next on their journey!
Jan 10, 2015 9:52 AM

Jul 2013
Am I the only one that didn't get that was his dad?

I rewatched the bit with the picture and went back to the old guy, I guess it was lol.

Explains why they both like old thing, only doesn't Clain recognise him from the pic?

I suppose that would most likely mean the doppel he thinks is his dad probably isn't him then.

New blonde guy was hot <3

Why was it when I watched this on one site they cut out the start where she took her clothes off and explained why they stopped there? o_O I have never encountered a site cutting out bits of an episode before. It cut out a full 6 mins showing from fighting over the camera! I just had to rewatch the start on another site.
stephtastropheJan 10, 2015 9:59 AM
May 10, 2017 8:04 PM
Aug 2014
Surprised no-one has shot Dias in the face yet; assuming this isn't the first group of people he made fight for him.
Oct 16, 2018 9:11 PM

Apr 2018
What a waste of great art,animation,character designs and some actual decent characters and all of that is because of the shitty writing and directing
Feb 3, 2022 11:42 PM
#FreeWatermelon

Feb 2020
Well, yeah, that's answered why he took Clein photo. I think those old man knew, he was his father, but refused to tell because of he won't let Clein confined inside the fractale system and the past memories. Because when the system falling apart, collapsing, people that got addicted with the convenience lifes couldn't accept the change, like him. But, that's also sad considering Clein feeling.

Anyway, new fraction of Lost Millenium got introduced. They used such a rough way, forcing people out of the system like that. The slice of lifes moment still nice and enjoyable. Yeah, i am looking at you, Phryne. And Nessa, yeah, not forget about you, cutie.

So, Lets see next...
Hide and seek is the best offline games on this fatamorgana-called-world-thing. Please comment nicely. I am newbie here.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges
Nov 22, 2022 5:16 PM

Aug 2021
It's only getting worse from this point, is it?
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fractale Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

stevewiess01 - Jan 20, 2011

137 by ka7eMARU »»
Feb 6, 2023 7:29 PM

Poll: » Fractale Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ariamachi - Mar 31, 2011

204 by luminality »»
Nov 23, 2022 3:04 AM

Poll: » Fractale Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

-Angy- - Feb 17, 2011

78 by luminality »»
Nov 22, 2022 7:53 AM

Poll: » Fractale Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

confusedmuse - Mar 17, 2011

74 by badabass »»
Feb 4, 2022 6:39 AM

Poll: » Fractale Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 )

stevewiess01 - Mar 10, 2011

74 by badabass »»
Feb 4, 2022 2:50 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.