Forum Settings
Forums

High School Light Music Clubs Overcrowded With K-ON Fans

New
Feb 21, 2011 2:22 AM

Feb 2008
According to Chunichi Newspaper, the number of high school girls who enter the light music (kei ongaku) club has been increasing due to the boom of K-ON!. In a high school in Aichi Prefecture, 110 out of 760 students of the school belonged to the light music club at the beginning of the year. Now the number decreased to 60 due to the graduation of the third year students and quitting of the news members, but still the club members have to take turns practicing in the music class room. The coaching teacher has been worried about whether he has to select the new members by an audition from the next year.

The light music club of Shiroko High School in Mie Prefecture also had 30 new members this year. Sugihara Riona is one of them. She entered the club influenced by K-ON but she realized her guitar skill won't be improved by chatting over a cup of tea and cookies. Eleven new members have already left the club but she continued practice and participated in a band tournament.

Okamoto Eiji, the owner of a musical instrument shop, said high school girls often visit his shop in groups. They purchase the same models of the guitars and picks as K-ON characters have. He said "It had been quite rare to see high school girls carrying guitars on their back. I'm looking forward to seeing the new series of K-ON."

Source: Scan of Chunichi Newspaper
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Feb 21, 2011 2:52 AM

Nov 2008
I bet that all the girls are like her and are doing this so they can have otaku everywhere at their knees rather than being actual fans of the show.

Of course, there may be genuine fans as well, but all Japanese girls really want is to be rich, so if they pull off a good Yui or Mio impression (with the music as well as the looks), they could find themselves on the road to idol stardom.
Current FAL Ranking + Previous best::
[
Feb 21, 2011 3:29 AM

May 2009
I wonder what Ishihara is going to do about this lol
Feb 21, 2011 3:39 AM

Mar 2009
Not surprising.. if people can be entertained by the anime, they can be influenced by it too.
Feb 21, 2011 4:08 AM

Mar 2009
This is good news, it's nice to know people are trying out something they may not have done before because of an anime :)

{{ TCO }} {{ ACP }} {{ TSC }} {{ LAC }}
Feb 21, 2011 4:15 AM

May 2009
Whatever you say about K-On, it still is a force to be reckoned with. I talk of how it introduced a new model of making an anime with decent songs so that they can compile the songs and sell CDs. And now it has started a light music craze. Moe has taken over the world

But still, you've got to admit that the songs are a lot better than the stuff we used to get
Feb 21, 2011 5:15 AM

Jun 2009
dtshyk said:
Sugihara Riona is one of them. She entered the club influenced by K-ON but she realized her guitar skill won't be improved by chatting over a cup of tea and cookies.

Strange, isn't it? ‿‿
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Feb 21, 2011 6:50 AM

Apr 2008
Look how K-ON! destroyed the balance to whatever K-ON can be related to XD

Who would think that someone can improve in playing guitar over a cup of tea?

Feb 21, 2011 8:44 AM

Jan 2008
Iisan-kun said:
And people still say K-ON! is just for otaku...

So it's not just (male) otakus? Maybe I'll buy a les pauls too! /sarcasm

Banner made by suikka
Feb 21, 2011 9:11 AM

Nov 2008
K-ON is for everyone, I knew this from the beginning.

Feb 21, 2011 9:14 AM
Sep 2009
It'd be more interesting if there's a sudden increase in the sales of wooden swords in April.
Feb 21, 2011 9:25 AM
Oct 2009
That's really surprising. I always thought more male otaku liked K-ON! than female otaku.
Feb 21, 2011 9:35 AM

Aug 2010
Shiro_Yami said:
I wonder what Ishihara is going to do about this lol

Time to ban music. Oh, and high school girls, ban them, too.

Haha, that would be funny. This is so awesome.
Feb 21, 2011 9:37 AM

Jun 2010
Its like all the people who took CSI classes becuase of the show.

Well at least some of them seem to be serious about it.
Feb 21, 2011 9:48 AM

Jun 2008
Iisan-kun said:

I don't know if K-ON! can be considered only for anime otaku but i didn't knew that having a pussy stops you from being an otaku.
Feb 21, 2011 9:58 AM

Oct 2007
Sylpheed said:

I don't, I drink Coke instead to improve my guitar skills.
Feb 21, 2011 10:40 AM

Aug 2008
Time to make an anime about cute girls investing their savings in Japanese state securities
Feb 21, 2011 12:02 PM
Mar 2010
Gooose said:
It'd be more interesting if there's a sudden increase in the sales of wooden swords in April.

Please, squid hats are the next fad.
Feb 21, 2011 12:42 PM

Jun 2009
what i find is funny is k-on is animed at 18+ males but i can see why it would srtike it on with teen girls, but damn lol
Feb 21, 2011 1:10 PM

May 2010
In years to come we'll see these girls performing OPs for the future K-ON!
Feb 21, 2011 1:30 PM

Sep 2010
I always wanted to play an instrument myself but I find this sort of funny haha.

Feb 21, 2011 1:43 PM

Nov 2010
herox3 said:

i'd buy one :D

i wonder how people interested in this before K-ON are taking this.
Feb 21, 2011 2:11 PM

Oct 2009
Hahahaha, make an anime about a chess club and we'll get chess clubs?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Feb 21, 2011 3:32 PM

Aug 2010
haha i so saw this coming XD
Feb 21, 2011 3:36 PM

Sep 2009
herox3 said:
Gooose said:

Old news. You can make one for yourself quite easily. One of my friends has done so already.
Feb 21, 2011 11:38 PM

Jul 2007
Another proof of this show degenerating the society.

Just by buying a guitar you wont get good at it. Its something that requires all your life and attention to master, with swollen fingers, dizzy head and thousands of $$ for strings you accidentally broke.

Unless a person really spends a LOT of time practicing, he will just be "that guy with guitar", not worth remembering, not to mention that I have yet to see any woman who can be competent at playing the guitar, sure we have pop "stars" pretending that they do it, but all the guitar masters so far(jimmi hendrix, john petrucci, michael romeo, and etc...) have been mostly male.

Not to mention that K-on glorifies the "shallow" guitar usage, where its mostly for a view only and so called "songs" dont even have normal solos.

Getting into it because you like it, is good. Getting yourself into all of this just because some mainstream anime moeblob tries to(and fails) to do it is.....saddening..
Feb 22, 2011 4:22 AM

Jun 2010
xBlackRosex said:
This is good news, it's nice to know people are trying out something they may not have done before because of an anime :)

I agree with you! :)
Feb 22, 2011 4:30 AM

Apr 2009
damn... can't imagine how the anime industry responds towards school's wrestling demands
Feb 22, 2011 5:07 AM

Nov 2008
i c that K ON is still popular as always in japan
Feb 22, 2011 11:27 AM

Nov 2007
Iisan-kun said:
It still is.
Feb 22, 2011 12:05 PM

Jun 2008
Considering the high success of the series, it's not like I didn't expect something like this...

dtshyk said:
The coaching teacher has been worried about whether he has to select the new members by an audition from the next year.

...But to this point? O_O

Gooose said:

True!! XD
Feb 23, 2011 6:40 PM
Feb 2011
Sugihara Riona is one of them. She entered the club influenced by K-ON but she realized her guitar skill won't be improved by chatting over a cup of tea and cookies.

IMPOSSIBRU
Feb 23, 2011 8:52 PM

Nov 2007
Oh, and to think I'm trying to learn guitar because of K-On.

Mar 19, 2011 2:59 PM

Jan 2011
It's funny because people think being a musician is easy. xD

I practice 5 hours a day and have done so for 4 years, every day, rain or shine, sick or healthy, and I'm still not quite as good as Yui supposedly is.
Because the person playing her riffs has been playing for a decade at least.

It's good that people are trying new things, and maybe there will even be a few people who find that they really love music. But 95% are going to quit or go nowhere.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Mar 28, 2011 4:39 PM

Nov 2010
Vinter said:

I practice 5 hours a day and have done so for 4 years, every day, rain or shine, sick or healthy, and I'm still not quite as good as Yui supposedly is.

It's good that people are trying new things, and maybe there will even be a few people who find that they really love music. But 95% are going to quit or go nowhere.

Are you sure about that? I mean, to play, let's say Cagayake! ( well i assume you think of Yui like skills in Yui songs ) you need basics like power chords, palm muting, harmonics. Maybe you don't have guitar effects to make it sound alike and you assume you can't .

And personally i don't like K-on for the reason it almost states that music is easy ( Yui would probably quit after having bled from practice along with her 2 grands guitar ).
Mar 28, 2011 6:46 PM

Jul 2007
K-ON! is officially the "Glee" of Japan.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Mar 31, 2011 12:47 PM

May 2007
cr4sian_phil said:
Sylpheed said:

I don't, I drink Coke instead to improve my guitar skills.

smoke pot, its what lady gaga does, lol.

Mar 31, 2011 2:22 PM

Nov 2010
I'm not surprised. My guitarist actually learn guitar after he played a VN about band, Kira*kira (it also aspire me a lot). And now he's at level that he could cover almost any of anivn song. Without he learning guitar, my band will not be formed and I will not try to learn anivn song and probably will stay drumming mainstream j-rock band or western band :p

Music inspires people, although I know I was inspired more to eat cake rather than playing music when I watch K-ON XD

(for those who play the VN, I wonder if kira*kira become an anime, will girls buying guitar and start playing punk while saying "this song is fucking good, let's cover this damn song!")
Apr 3, 2011 7:17 PM

Jan 2011
Hah! That is awesome :)
Apr 4, 2011 5:00 PM

May 2010
Honestly, who cares how many of them are "serious" about it? Even if it's just a hobby, it's not a bad thing if it stimulates the economy by making them go out and buy a guitar or bass, is it? Is it really wrong to have a hobby? Not everyone can be a world class musician, but what's the harm if they want to fool around in their spare time?

Maybe it makes it harder for the serious ones to get attention, but the serious and the flaky will get filtered naturally, when the less dedicated realize they don't see it working out, or the more serious spend more time practicing or taking extra lessons, et cetera.

I'm not saying I endorse such impulsive behavior for life decisions, but it's not as if joining the music club is a do-or-die commitment. I always thought it was more of a "trial and error, see if this works out and get some practice in at the same time" type deal, or a "spend time doing what you enjoy" type deal for the less career oriented type clubs. I.e. either an exploratory process or a method of spending time in an enjoyable way with people who share your interests.

As for talent and dedication... Supposing 95% of them quit or don't make it anywhere... heck, supposing even 99% of them aren't worth listening to. Even if only one out of every hundred makes it, it's still a handful of new talent down the road.

On the other hand, underdeveloped levels of interest in any field could prevent even those with so called "natural talent" from ever discovering their abilities.

-shrug- You can say whatever you want about how this probably means I have no talent in anything, or use similar ad hominem attacks. Keep in mind, though, that attacks on character usually serve to hurt the user's case more than the target's. Unless you're a politician, in which case the affair you had with the preacher's wife thirty years ago is far more important than your stance on anything remotely important. (No comment. No comment. I never met her.) XD
Apr 30, 2011 4:18 PM

Apr 2008
Wish norwegian high school and earlier had a club system too, school would have been much more fun then.
Unfortunatly the school system sucks here, except if you got money to attend colleges, univeristy and such :P

May 1, 2011 7:46 AM

Apr 2011
Actually one of the reasons I was drawn to K-ON! is the fact it was about a high school band, as I used to play in one myself.

The experience was similar to the K-ON! girls, although we didn't eat cakes and if we were drinking something specific it would probably have been alcoholic.

For some reason, we couldn't play as well as the K-ON! girls could either, but then again the show wouldn't be as good if they were crap, would it?

I hear lots of people complaining about how it's just a moe show and whatever, but really K-ON's depiction of being in a highschool band is pretty good. At that age, being in a band is really all about having fun with friends and that's also what K-ON! is all about; having fun with your friends.
Because there is no 'U' in Color.
May 1, 2011 9:31 AM

Dec 2008
Vinter said:

True, true!

My brother started playing guitar a few years ago and while he can play some simple songs he still messes up and knows he should practice more regularly. But he does enjoy it.

I'd like to play an instrument too, but I don't know if I could be that dedicated. Music is tricky but cool stuff.

It's kind of like how people think my art classes are just spent making pretty pictures. No, it takes time and practice and dedication! My brother used to dismiss art as bullshit, saying it's ridiculous and still wonders why I'd bother take up a major in it.

But if you want something bad enough, you'll do it!!

Otherwise, LOL K-ON! influencing high school girls. Crazy that it had that it has kind of influence. XD
May 1, 2011 9:09 PM

May 2008
FOE-tan said:
but all Japanese girls really want is to be rich

You're stereotyping Japanese women and I don't much enjoy it.

Old avatar and sig retired for now.
May 1, 2011 9:58 PM

Jun 2008
DoubleDango said:
Hahahaha, make an anime about a chess club and we'll get chess clubs?
It would need moe as a requirement. Maybe even turn the pieces into girls.
May 2, 2011 6:46 AM

Oct 2010
If the people who made the K-on merch were smart they would make k-on brand guitars and maybe get a deal with the guitar companies of the guitars that are used in the anime.
It would sell like crazy
May 2, 2011 7:04 AM

Mar 2011
At least they have clubs at their schools.
Mr. Wonsworth, you may NOT eat my scones!
May 2, 2011 4:21 PM

Dec 2009
Most of them will just waste their money on guitars who will never be used again after a month...

but I still think it's cool to see how this anime influences so many people
yuno6.jpg
May 12, 2011 12:30 PM

Nov 2010
oh lol.
manga influences alot, neh?
May 12, 2011 3:41 PM
Dec 2007
EveryOtherColour said:
Actually one of the reasons I was drawn to K-ON! is the fact it was about a high school band, as I used to play in one myself.

The experience was similar to the K-ON! girls, although we didn't eat cakes and if we were drinking something specific it would probably have been alcoholic.

For some reason, we couldn't play as well as the K-ON! girls could either, but then again the show wouldn't be as good if they were crap, would it?

I hear lots of people complaining about how it's just a moe show and whatever, but really K-ON's depiction of being in a highschool band is pretty good. At that age, being in a band is really all about having fun with friends and that's also what K-ON! is all about; having fun with your friends.
It comitted the grave mistake of pretty much dissing their own subject matter by insinuating that music isn't a profession. You'd think if you had the natural skill of Yui, then the anime would sort of push her to keep going.But no, she just gets pushed into the sheep mentality of "go to college you worthless girl"! College isn't the end-all of society. I should know, considering I've wasted five years of my life in it and I feel like I haven't found myself yet. It would have been nice if Yui would have been encouraged to follow her dream, even if foolish. She didn't have any other redeeming qualities after all.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» GoHands Produces Original TV Anime 'Momentary Lily' for Winter 2025

DatRandomDude - 5 hours ago

9 by Maumuu »»
3 minutes ago

» Manga 'Senpai ga Uzai Kouhai no Hanashi' Ends with 13th Volume

Hyperion_PS - 2 hours ago

5 by Maumuu »»
6 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by Kushna »»
5 hours ago

» 'Code Geass: Dakkan no Rozé' Announces Additional Cast

DatRandomDude - Apr 10

17 by animegamer245 »»
7 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Apr 23

31 by animegamer245 »»
9 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.