How would you rate this anime?
Feb 4, 2011 9:55 AM

Feb 2008
Spotlight Anime: Hikaru no Go

MAL Anime Information Page: Hikaru no Go

MAL Score – 8.27 (by 11869 users)
Ranked - #188
Popularity - #301

For the next week I would like to have a discussion about the anime that focuses on the key elements that we here on MAL use to critically rate an anime: Animation, Sound, Characters, Story, and Enjoyment.

I would like everyone to approach this thread as if you were going to write a review and structure your initial post like this:

Animation - insert rating
Sound - insert rating
Characters - insert rating
Story - insert rating
Enjoyment - insert rating

Animation - discuss any pros and cons of the animation styling used in the series, try to include some specifics.

Sound - describe any of the things you liked or didn't care for in regards to the music and sound effects used in the series

etc...

If you are having trouble writing up a review or coming up with specific pros and cons, please don't worry. Just do the best you can with it and if you can only write two or three sentences about any of the 5 elements then that's OK. Not everyone here is currently at a level which will allow them to articulate their thoughts and opinions.

After your initial post is made you can feel free to civilly discuss issues of contention. I am sure there will be many opinions expressed here that some of us will disagree upon and criticise and it is for that reason that this entire club exists. So I hope everyone has fun and I am really looking forward to watching this discussion unfold.

RESULTS OF THE YOU DECIDE POLL

Hikaru no Go was NOT inducted into the club Anime list:
10 Yes - 45.4%
12 No - 54.5%

48 Don't know this anime - 65.7% of the total number polled
3 Abstained - 4.1% of the total number polled
Orion1Jun 8, 2014 3:33 PM
You do not beg the sun for mercy.
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members
Feb 4, 2011 10:52 AM

Feb 2010
Just want to bring up something. Influence. A kind of influence not associates with setting anime trends.

This only speaks about the series, not specifically crediting the anime. Besides, for sheer influence on audience , Slam Dunk and Captain Tsubasa has a much stronger case. And it is my opinion that the focus should be on the merits of the show.
live2winFeb 6, 2011 9:01 PM
Feb 4, 2011 8:46 PM
Nov 2007
I had fun watching this series and thought it playing Go sound fun.
Feb 5, 2011 1:05 PM

Feb 2009
Yet another shounen/sports anime that follows all the well known (being nice and not calling them cliche) formulas of the genre bit by bit. Surprisingly, unlike most shounen anime I've watched lately, I haven't dropped this anime yet and I blame it on the fact that I've learned to expect less and less from this genre and basically watch it without caring for all the flaws it has.
All that said, I should praise this anime for not abusing the cliches of the genre. Compared to some sports/battle shounen (e.i. Captain Tsubasa , Naruto and etc.) Hikaru no Go doesn't drag the anime and doesn't exaggerate as much in order to create tension, build up suspense or pump up the target audience. In fact, there are times that the hero gains success the easy way. No climax at times or long running (draggy) battles with moral conversations carried between the to in combat in the form of telepathy (refer to Captain Tsubasa and Naruto for lots of examples of such conversations). So far it seems that they do not intend to waste the audience's time and have a good sense of pace. They also do a good job in portraying Go as an interesting sport.
When it comes to characters Hikaru no Go is not exceptional from the rest of the anime in the genre. Which means almost all the characters that matter are cliche. But again Hikaru no Go manages to make a few characters that feel closer to being original but then again their reactions fall under the cliche category for the most.
They also could have used more research when it came to international contestants and their cultural behavior.

In conclusion, Hikaru no Go is an anime that tries to rise above the level of an average shounen and the effort is clearly obvious. However it fails to rise high enough to be worthy of induction in my opinion.

Unrelated but interesting point imo
It seems that Haku from spirited away is drawn based on Akira from Hikaru no Go (the anime version). They look alike more than they should.

Feb 6, 2011 5:23 PM
May 2009
I considered this a very good series. It's shounen which is already a field that usually doesn't have much depth. The characters are enjoyable and deeper than they appear.
But for the true merit of this feature: It manages to make a show about playing Go interesting. That in my opinion is an unimaginable feat. I was drawn into and watched a show about a bunch of preteen to teen kids play something akin to Othello for 75 episodes, and it was interesting. How they managed that I will never know? When I originally heard the premise, it sounded just barely better than watching paint dry. It drew me in enough that I watched all 75 episodes in three days. The story doesn't drag out battles for 6-10 episodes, and each section seems to follow naturally. I actually started trying to figure out how to play Go by the end of the series (Go, by the way, I still think is utterly boring).
In my opinion, this series is exceptional for the shounen genre, and for overall anime, is still very good. I consider this an immediate Yes.
Feb 6, 2011 8:58 PM

Feb 2010
I have a soft spot for Hikaru no Go. The show doesn't adequately explore the fundamentals and natures of Go. Instead, it takes a unique course on the inside world of professionals. Unlike Kaiji or other sports anime, Go is complex and mind-boggling. I don't expect anyone to understand the reasons behind every move made by people of kyu and dan ranks simply because they watched an anime about Go. Inevitably, the numerous games themselves doesn't trigger as much interest as the interactions between the characters.

I watch this because I am a big fan of board games and I can relate the experience of turning the tide with a single well-taken move ( not in Go though :/ ).
Feb 7, 2011 4:59 AM

Dec 2007
I think this anime is exceptional for using all the clichés of the shounen sports anime in an un-cliché way. Ie. through Go, a game most of us probably had never heard of (I knew of its existance from reading literary works from Heian and that's it) and a game that was almost forgotten.

Plus, there is character development through the series, and it's not a character development of "I will surpass myself and win!" It's a "through playing the game, I grow as a person"

Will most likely vote yes.
Waratte Oemashou Sore ha Chiisana Inori
Feb 9, 2011 8:59 AM

Jan 2009
csands358 said:
I considered this a very good series. It's shounen which is already a field that usually doesn't have much depth. The characters are enjoyable and deeper than they appear.
But for the true merit of this feature: It manages to make a show about playing Go interesting. That in my opinion is an unimaginable feat. I was drawn into and watched a show about a bunch of preteen to teen kids play something akin to Othello for 75 episodes, and it was interesting. How they managed that I will never know? When I originally heard the premise, it sounded just barely better than watching paint dry. It drew me in enough that I watched all 75 episodes in three days. The story doesn't drag out battles for 6-10 episodes, and each section seems to follow naturally. I actually started trying to figure out how to play Go by the end of the series (Go, by the way, I still think is utterly boring).
In my opinion, this series is exceptional for the shounen genre, and for overall anime, is still very good. I consider this an immediate Yes.

i have the exact same feelings. i had never heard of go before seeing this anime but it managed to keep my attention throughout the whole series and make me excited several times
moreover its the only anime besides deathnote that i ve watched 3 times!
it never bores me
Feb 9, 2011 12:51 PM

May 2010
That guy kind the cover reminds me of Yugi from YugiOH
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Reply Disabled for Non-Club Members

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The End of Critics and Connoisseurs

HiroM_ - Dec 31, 2022

31 by danz »»
Nov 10, 2023 1:08 AM

» Challenge You Decide: Neon Genesis Evangelion: The End of Evangelion (Anime) (1/1)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

44 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» You Decide: Golden Kamuy 2nd Season (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

42 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:10 PM

» Resurrected You Decide: Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 2, 2022

47 by 25saix »»
Dec 30, 2022 3:09 PM

» Blue N Rescue Mission: Eikoku Koi Monogatari Emma (Anime) (12/4)

HiroM_ - Dec 3, 2022

24 by Dramaddict »»
Dec 28, 2022 6:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.