Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jan 13, 2011 8:12 AM

Aug 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This episode has a lot of Miyazaki/Nadia vibes, especially the glider and stuff. That being said, this episode was actually very interesting. Definitely one of the better shows from this season.

The twist at the end with the red haired girl certainly wasn't expected. Either ways, I like the actual stuff with the "doppels", and the characters seem interesting. Not to mention, I'm curious about why the world seems to have changed to the point where technology has been lost, and computers are more like relics.

I can't wait for the next episode.

Screenshots:

Kuro4735Jan 13, 2011 11:10 AM

Jan 13, 2011 8:34 AM

Mar 2010
I don't know why the studio decided to change the hair colors of main characters.

Phryne: blue -> brown
Enri: red -> blonde
Nessa: blue -> red

Anyway, the first episode was a slow start, but it has shown some good potential and i'm really looking forward the next episode. XD

Jan 13, 2011 9:19 AM
Oct 2008
Good first episode, definitely shows a lot of promise. Feels like Ghibli mixed with early Gainax [like Nadia].
Jan 13, 2011 9:22 AM

Aug 2009
Kuro4735 said:

This episode has a lot of Miyazaki/Nadia vibes, especially the glider and stuff.

Yeah, I felt that too.

This'll be a good one. I actually like the bumbling trio already.

(I thought the hair was a different color but I wasn't sure)
Jan 13, 2011 9:26 AM

Jul 2010
it felt like a miyazaki film at times. i am really looking forward for more
How to Watch Naruto Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/LncQif
How to Watch Bleach Without Filler (Complete): http://bit.ly/y0UQTO
Jan 13, 2011 9:31 AM

Jul 2007
It looks promising. I would like to know why Clain's parents are doppels. (or balloon creatures as I called them before I know what they were called)
by Baka-Chibi

Jan 13, 2011 9:31 AM
Apr 2009
I didn't like the art, music, characters, "humor," or plot.
Jan 13, 2011 9:41 AM

Jul 2009
Truly wonderful. This is the most peaceful yet not boring anime that has aired since Hidamari Hoshimittsu in my opinion.

This episode had a great exposition. I'm going to go recommend it to all my little friends now.
Jan 13, 2011 9:47 AM

Nov 2007
Weird... Except that boy, most of them look so weird. So they are "creatures" called Fractale.

I like the theme song, especially ED (based on Ireland Folk).

The anime is very folkish.
tsubasaloverJan 13, 2011 10:11 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Jan 13, 2011 9:50 AM

Apr 2010
realy realy dissapointed, i was hoping for something better... but then again i didnt read the manga so didnt know what it was like...

"If only if only, the woodpecker cried, the bark on the tree was as soft as the sky" || ♪My mind, heart is broken♫
Jan 13, 2011 10:30 AM

Jan 2008
Now i'm really looking forward to every friday xD
Jan 13, 2011 10:32 AM
Feb 2010
Fractale wins. That is all.
Jan 13, 2011 10:43 AM

Sep 2007
Remind me never to watch a Funimation stream or a rip of a Funimation stream ever again.
Jan 13, 2011 10:47 AM

Jul 2010
I am floored.

Animation was beautiful, characters were great, I love the different designs of all the dopplers.

Just wow man.
Jan 13, 2011 10:49 AM
May 2009
I don't get all that stuff yet, like what are the doppels and what is the world they're living at... But man, that felt like Miyazaki movies for me, too. Especially Nausicaa came to my mind. It looks promising. Also, the character design reminds me of Eureka 7; same guy, by any chance? I like it, either way.
Jan 13, 2011 11:14 AM
Sep 2009
More conventional than what I'm used to from noitaminA, but it has promise. The world it creates is interesting enough and I agree with GreatRumbler, it does feel like a mix of Ghibli and early Gainax.
Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone.
Jan 13, 2011 11:18 AM

Jan 2009
Whoa what a trippy opening lol, aside from that as everyone previously mentioned ya this certainly has a lot of Miyazaki studio ghibli like creativity. First episode was pretty interesting, making it seem kind of like people live through surrogates and with the main protagonist a country boy. Off to a good start so we'll have to see what next episode has in store
Jan 13, 2011 11:24 AM

Jun 2009
Now that's some unusual stuff. Slow-paced and kinda boring, yet interesting. I want to know more about that world, it's basiacally what made this ep interesting for me, oh and there was that girl - Phryne. I'm curious about her origins.
She looks a lot better with blue hair too.

Wasabi said:
Remind me never to watch a Funimation stream or a rip of a Funimation stream ever again.

Same here. But i was like super bored now so i did it. D :
レッツゴー ED イケイケゴーゴー
Jan 13, 2011 11:34 AM
Oct 2008
I anticipated this series a lot and I liked the first episode.

The glider part was really Nausicaa-like. And generally it has several remindings to the early Myazaki works of Nausicaa and Laputa (and Nadia from Gainax which follows it), which is a big plus for me!

I am looking forward for the next and I hope Yamakan will keep up with this!
Jan 13, 2011 11:37 AM

Apr 2010
Nausicaa.. o_O

hmm.. honestly the first episode is really a let down, I didn't get what I was expecting and I thought it would be more interesting than that.. it really feels like a Ghibli Movie, and I'm thinking that it would be better if it is a movie than a series.. rather slow start, but I'm still rooting for this show to get better..
Jan 13, 2011 12:18 PM

May 2010
I sang that song in the ED with my choir. Sally Gardens, it's really quite a beautiful song. I really really liked this episode, but I guess I'm a sucker for this style. Castle In The Sky is one of my favorite movies ever, and I got a lot of the same vibes from this one. Nadia too, now that you guys mention it, but I actually like this better than Nadia so far. It's got a much better sense of humor IMO
“Money can't buy dere”
Jan 13, 2011 12:22 PM

Jun 2009
It was good, but a little bit boring. Next episode better be good, I guess. And all of the characters looked different. Weren't Phryne supposed to have purple/blue hair?

Jan 13, 2011 12:25 PM

Mar 2008
Wow, it was so slow. But so awesome. Gave me a sort of vibe which I also got from CLANNAD. =o.

Could only be me though.. and yeah, it felt like a Ghibli movie =P.
Jan 13, 2011 12:28 PM

Aug 2009
They haven't said anything about the location but thats definetly west Ireland. The cop car had Garda on the side the stone walla by the ocean, the music, the houses. It was all Irish-y

Loved it! I can't wait for more.
Jan 13, 2011 12:48 PM

Jun 2010
Definitely got some Miyazaki vibes watching this. Although it was a little bit boring, the setting seems interesting and I do want to know more about it.

Anyone noticed that they changed the hair colors of the girls? Whats up with that?
Jan 13, 2011 12:48 PM

May 2010
The first half (or the scenes before the OP) was quite good, but then it got boring. I don't like Phryne, she sounded like another stereotype girl. I hope this gets better by episode 2.
Jan 13, 2011 12:53 PM

Sep 2010
I am a tad disappointed with the first episode. The characters behave too much like your typical anime stereotypes and they feel kind of out of place in this anime. Especially because of the really interesting setting with so many great ideas…
Ah well, wasn’t bad, was just expecting more here.
Jan 13, 2011 12:55 PM

Dec 2009
This was good. I wasn't actually going to watch this show, but I'm glad I did.

This episode made me curious about a lot. What the heck are the doppels? Where are his real parents? Is that girl from the future, or maybe back in time? What the heck is up with the girl on the end of the episode?

Haha, so many questions, and I've got to wait a week? Give me a break! :P
Jan 13, 2011 1:22 PM

Aug 2010
Seems more intresting than I expected. ^^

Jan 13, 2011 1:34 PM
Jan 2010
Meh. it gets a big fat MEH!
Jan 13, 2011 1:42 PM

Nov 2007
Underwhelming. Interesting setting is the only thing the show has going for it right now. It's a shame that the bad guys are a joke and can't be taken seriously. For now I'll stick with this one for the setting, but I'm not expecting much.
Jan 13, 2011 1:49 PM

Aug 2010
I got a really Miyazaki-ish and Ghibli-ish vibes from it, but seems nice. Nothing special for me, but I think I'll enjoy these like Ghibli movies.

Kinda slow paced, but it's nice to watch something with a softer pace.
Signature coming as soon as I get motivation to change it soon
Jan 13, 2011 1:59 PM

Nov 2010
Personally I really liked it, it wasn't what I expected, but in a good way, this is much better than what I thought it was gonna be. It was slow paced, but that's good, I think it fit well with the overall tone they were trying to make, I think younger audiences might not appreciate it as much because their more accustomed to action, with things happening one after another (try going back and watching bambi, if you're under 25 that movie will really test your patience xD)
Jan 13, 2011 2:00 PM

Jul 2010
Kuro4735 said:
This episode has a lot of Miyazaki/Nadia vibes, especially the glider and stuff.
...And here I thought I'd be the first one to say that before I got to the thread. :P

id said:
Now i'm really looking forward to every friday xD
Unless you're on the otherside of the world from me, it's Thursday.

Great first episode. Don't know why, but it did feel kind of slow. Do we have an episode count? *Checks* Yes, we do. 11? That's sad. In that case I suppose it's going to be short and sweet.

Like others, I'm not too fond of the hair color change, but I'm sure I'll forget about it by the next episode. This one's a keeper. Plus I'm saved from the plethora of fanservice in all the other shows this season.

Also, loved the ending song. Very pretty. Reminded me of Ireland, which is perfect since the setting for Fractale takes place in such a grassy land.

Edit:
Psyris said:
It's a shame that the bad guys are a joke and can't be taken seriously.
Somehow I get the feeling those aren't the actual bad guys. But if they are, I agree with you.

Lihn said:
I think younger audiences might not appreciate it as much because their more accustomed to action, with things happening one after another (try going back and watching bambi, if you're under 25 that movie will really test your patience xD)
I'm 20, and I like Bambi. O.O
IiliaJan 13, 2011 2:20 PM
Jan 13, 2011 2:06 PM
Dec 2007
I don't really understand what I just saw. A more explicit or catchy episode would have been better as an intro. It was colorful and well-animated though.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Jan 13, 2011 2:29 PM

Jul 2010
I just saw Fractale and...ZOMG it's the most original thing I've seen in ages! Very interesting!
Jan 13, 2011 2:30 PM

Nov 2009
dkrdude3 said:
I didn't like the art, music, characters, "humor," or plot.

I was exactly the opposite. For some reason i felt like i was watching a movie, an older movie at that. Everything was really relaxed, despite having guns fire off, and stuff.
Jan 13, 2011 2:37 PM

Aug 2010
This series just brought on a new level of weird. I didn't even know what was going on!
Jan 13, 2011 2:45 PM

Aug 2007
Very 'nostalgic' like.
My favorite part had to be the introduction of the bad-guys. Very old-fashioned bumbling trio like but still very funny.
Jan 13, 2011 2:49 PM

Apr 2010
I found this intriguing.
The country setting which appeared like Northern Britain looked very nice.
Those doubles looked funny and gave me a good laugh, from the short explanation i saw about the time zone it appears to be somewhere in the future in a time with no war.
Because of a system named Fractale which also provides people money even those who don't work.
And even checks on them.

It seemed a bit vague but i liked this and i wonder what next episode will bring.
Jan 13, 2011 2:55 PM

Mar 2010
For me, it didn't actually tell me anything about the anime, all i know, is that there is a guy, who meets a girl, and they live in some crazy place, and thats all, i still don't know anything about the plot, so i think it wasnt a great 1st episode
Jan 13, 2011 3:06 PM

Feb 2010
Miyazaki-ish.

This was a lot better than I was expecting though. I'm intrigued and can't wait for the next episode.
Jan 13, 2011 3:26 PM

Sep 2009
This had a host of resemblances to Castle in the Sky. The plot movement was pretty slow in the first episode, but it did enough to interest me. I have high hopes for this one.
Jan 13, 2011 3:36 PM
Jul 2018
Hmm, well this probably has the best animation and setting of any of the new shows this season. The characters are kind of annoying at the moment, but the series has promise and should be pretty fun.

Like pretty much everyone else, I really got Ghibli vibes from this episode from the Nausicaa-esque glider scene with the time traveller to those villains that seemed kind of like the Dola Gang from Laputa.

Speakng of the antagonists, did anyone else think they were kind of like Team Rocket from the goofiness to the "costumes" to the whole "blasting off again" thing at the end of the episode?
Jan 13, 2011 3:39 PM
Jul 2018
synaesthesia said:
Miyazaki-ish.

This was a lot better than I was expecting though. I'm intrigued and can't wait for the next episode.

I had the exact same feeling, I hope the others episodes will stay as interesting and intriguing as this one.

Can't wait till next Thursday!

I hope the manga will get an English translation. (in the paperback form, no scans)
removed-userJan 13, 2011 3:52 PM
Jan 13, 2011 3:39 PM

Dec 2010
Needs another episode to decide if it's worth it. What bothered me was the obvious female voice for the boy.
Jan 13, 2011 3:40 PM

Feb 2009
Lihn said:
try going back and watching bambi, if you're under 25 that movie will really test your patience xD

Uh... no, I don't think so. Kids, teenagers and such are the people who get shown the movie often due to parents showing their kids the Disney classics; and from what I see online and in real life... almost everybody in this age group LOVES Bambi. So this makes no sense to me.

Anyway, I'm very underwhelmed by this episode. I felt the manga portrayed the characters a lot better. Transitions between scenes felt kinda awkward to me. I'm regretting reading the manga because I think that's the reason I'm not enjoying the anime as much, seeing as this is an original work. I'm going to sincerely hope that I'll be able to like this more as it goes on, because I'm feeling a little bitter over this episode for now. It definitely still has potential, and I'm glad to see other people enjoying it. I just hope I'll be able to enjoy it too.
Jan 13, 2011 3:47 PM

Jul 2007
Yamakan wants to play Miyazaki? Fine, but it's not going to work if it continues to feel this artificial and produced.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Jan 13, 2011 3:47 PM

Dec 2008
This was a great first episode. The animation is amazing and I'm looking forward to the next episode.
Jan 13, 2011 3:52 PM

Mar 2010
Wow. I haven't had a story introduced that well in about a year now. That was, simply put, brilliant! Loved the animation, very clean and neat. The characters were so perfectly sensible. Phryne was anti-tsundere to the max! Which I absolutely loved about her! Clain was kind of that soft boy, first gimpse, kind of guy. However, I won't let that put me out of this anime. I have extremely high expectations for this anime for the next 11 weeks! d(>.<)b I don't say that very often! Looking forward to the next!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fractale Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

stevewiess01 - Jan 20, 2011

137 by ka7eMARU »»
Feb 6, 2023 7:29 PM

Poll: » Fractale Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ariamachi - Mar 31, 2011

204 by luminality »»
Nov 23, 2022 3:04 AM

Poll: » Fractale Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

DL21 - Feb 24, 2011

94 by luminality »»
Nov 22, 2022 5:16 PM

Poll: » Fractale Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

-Angy- - Feb 17, 2011

78 by luminality »»
Nov 22, 2022 7:53 AM

Poll: » Fractale Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

confusedmuse - Mar 17, 2011

74 by badabass »»
Feb 4, 2022 6:39 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.