Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jan 6, 2011 3:42 AM
Jan 2010
Goddamn i want a movie now.
Jan 11, 2011 8:23 AM
Dec 2009
Well, as someone says before:

1) The world is fucked up
2) humankind flees to the space
3) Buuut, leave behind 300 Proxies to construct domes and cities and to repopulate ,or to make at least some minimum infrastructure, when they come back
4) Several thousands years after, besides Proxy One hardfeelings about humankind, the earth is nice again and humankind is coming back...
5) Why Vincent Law would be angry about the coming humans? Ok, they used the proxies, but, come on, they were created with this purpose! Why doesnt he just disguse himself as human and live happily 'til the end with Re-l?

Other thing, The Disneyland... well... noone died there, was everything supposedly fine. When humankind arrive there, the Proxy will be dead, but everything else will be intact and ready to receive the newcomers? Is that a example of a successful Dome City?
Jan 12, 2011 6:44 PM
Jun 2008
Finally finished watching this anime, been awhile since I watched the 1st episode.

It started kind of slow and I wasn't really interesting around the first couple of episodes, but definitely picked up around the end. Glad that I finished it, one of the best endings I've watched so far.

8/10
RenzokukenJan 12, 2011 6:52 PM
Jan 25, 2011 10:30 PM
May 2010
Great series. Loved the ending. I just pretend that the quiz and themepark episodes didn't happen while retaining information from them. Definite 10/10 for me with those omissions. Pino was just too damn cute.
Jan 30, 2011 3:23 PM

Dec 2010
WARNING: VERY LONG POST!!!!!!!!!!!

A very excellent episode! The ending was pretty bad ass too with Vincent's eyes glowing blue. It was very confusing but I thought I'd take a shot at summarizing what this entire anime was about.

I think that Ergo Proxy & Vincent Law together combined IS Proxy One. During the confrontation, Vincent said I am you and you are me. Proxy One. The episode before that when Vincent saw Monad in the chamber dead, he had Monad's pendant (Proxy #13) and another pendant which is assumed to be his (Proxy #1). Why must it be his? Because in the last episode, right before he vanished with Monad, he left behind his pendant. There were only two that he carried, and since he gave back Monad's, it must mean that the remaining Pendant was his - Proxy One's Pendant.

There is also another possibility is that the one that is sitting in the beginning of the encounter is Proxy One, while Vincent is his other half or what Proxy One calls "his Shadow".

So what was going on with Monad being Re-L? Daedalus apparently managed to make a clone of Re-L, which had extraordinary growth speed. It appears that Daedalus was experimenting with the real Monad in order to manipulate the Amrita cells, successfully being able to incorporate it into Re-L-2's body. This was sort of like a resurrection of Monad making her a Proxy, and therefore a God. This may be the result of Project ADW (to combine Amrita cells with that of ordinary human cells).

Although this may not be directly related to the story, one thing to note during this episode is the fact that Monad has wings, which she uses to fly closer to the sun. This is a reference to the greek mythology concerning Daedalus and Icarus (the son of Daedalus). Monad burns as she gets closer to the sun, despite Daedalus' unheard warnings.

So who is the creator? There is two immediate but not exactly proven answers: The human race, or a still yet unknown person/group. If it is indeed the human race, it is obvious they have returned to Earth after there has been a shed of light on the uninhabitable world. Proxies were indeed only created to set humanity in motion, yet their imperfections have created an imperfect place. The irony of the Proxies' creation is that the people who they have created will hate them in the end. Proxies were created to create a world (the hand's of the Creator), but once that world has been created, they are to disappear (the reason for Proxy One's anger and wanting to exact revenge on the Creator). This feeling of betrayal and lack of love has driven most of them into despair, which was only possible because the Creator had given them souls (it's something like "Feel my pain").

Those ships at the very end are strongly hinted to be from the Boomerang Star. Vincent was left to live, but was he left to live to punish this creator or was the creator already punished in the form of Vincent being the only proxy to live even after the Sun had rose? If he is to punish the creator by killing all of humanity, does it mean that Re-L will die? It may be over-analysis or not, but Re-L was technically created by Vincent by Artificial means. Does this nullify her being part of the human race? Is Vincent intending to kill them all and again creating a new Romdeau with his new knowledge of the world? If the creator isn't the human race, who is the Creator? That is something that is very hard to figure out.

The pulse of awakening meant the end of the proxies, yet it is apparently halted after he came back from talking to Monad. Even though Vincent lives, there is the question of how? There are two conflicts: Monad dying, and Proxy One dying. Monad's death can be explained by the fact the pulse of awakening wasn't halted until after she died - but then Proxy One should be able to live as well, but he doesn't which is a contradiction. Vincent may have halted the pulse of awakening AFTER both deaths, but how did he even stop it?

What was the Boomerang Project all about? What was the purpose of the Cogito virus? I'm assuming it was to give the AutoReivs a soul in order to feel the despair of it's creator. To feel emotions such as love and betrayal in order to show other's what neglect can do. The Cogito virus may have also been created to make humans realize that AutoReivs are not to be relied on heavily (the virus makes the autoreiv's become self-aware and self-controlling of their actions instead of heeding their master's orders), because they may very well be wiped out when humanity thrives once again without the dome.

As for what happened to Vincent in the past, I'm just going to briefly say he felt the Creator's pain. By having a soul, he [as Ergo Proxy/Proxy One] realized the failures of the Boomerang Project, so he decided to leave abandon his own city to be with Monad - the person he loved in the city of Moscow/Mosque (varies from the subs). Because of that, Monad was kidnapped by the city of Romdeau (as an act of Revenge for Ergo Proxy leaving them). Whether this takes place after or before he gives Monad & Amnesia (the AutoReiv) his memories is still questionable. I'm assuming that he gave his memories after being with Monad and that the kidnapping of Monad was not the cause for him to seal away his memories at all. Whether or not this is true, the fact is that Proxy One created another him in the form of Vincent Law - his shadow in order to live on "normally".

The fillers weren't really fillers nor pointless. They did reveal a lot of information concerning proxies and their reason for existence: A methane hydrate explosion that wiped out 85% of the humans, forcing the remaining humans to board a ship in space called the Boomerang Star, leaving behind 300 proxies to help rebuild Earth's population. The fact that proxies must fight whenever they see each other and that they are the God's of their respective cities/domes. The fact that proxies are part of the project known as the Boomerang Project. Not in the least bit uninformative at all.

Some people are complaining about the Smile Land episode being way too happy for such a dark series - but I really want to ask, how is this in any way "happy"? It's tragic that the proxy created such a world in order to maintain the image of happiness, but he himself was obviously not happy. His smile was forced, but it was the best he could do. All he wanted was to die being happy, and his attempt at it was to create a city that was filled with smiles all the time. Pino saved them a bit from the sadness by showing them a real smile, but the happiness only ends there.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but this is almost all what I think and is highly subjective. I have quite a few more things I wanted to cover but I'm starting to lose my train of thought so maybe one day I'll return to this anime and touch on those things a bit further. One thing's for sure though, a sequel/episode/ova is a must to wrap all of this together for good!

However, for now this series will be one of my favorites. 10/10
RezurrektJan 30, 2011 3:33 PM

Feb 7, 2011 2:30 PM

Apr 2009
Wooh Vincent's last words (that smile and glowing blue eyes) were ominous with those ships in the background... oh well.

I'm gonna miss Pino in her suit! T_T
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
Feb 19, 2011 9:53 PM

Jan 2011
Were the ships supposed to be the creators coming back?
I agree with DeathReaper that we need an OVA epilogue or two.

It was all very confusing. Proxy One and Vincent are both Ergo Proxy, and Ergo Proxy and Vincent are the same, but Proxy One and Vincent are separate.
wat?

Arturllm said:

5) Why Vincent Law would be angry about the coming humans? Ok, they used the proxies, but, come on, they were created with this purpose! Why doesnt he just disguse himself as human and live happily 'til the end with Re-l?

He'll still burn in the sun.
> The Fellow MAL Users Social Link has reached level 6!
> Your power to create Forum Posts of the Anime Arcana has grown!
Mar 11, 2011 9:45 PM
Aug 2010
I just finished watching Ergo Proxy and it was a nice anime, I like it but I didn't understant the hole idea.Enyway when I tryed "to digest" the meaning of it something just popped in my head and that was.. Half Life 2, so I said to myself: I think I understand now ha ha.Maybe I'm not right but you have to admit that it has lots of Half Life 2 like influence( I'm not saying that the creator of this anime was insired by half life just that is so similar in many ways).Guys what do you think about that? excuse my bad english :P
Apr 2, 2011 8:17 PM

Feb 2010
I think it was pretty clear overall. It's just that the series is less based on achieving some goal and more based on learning what the hell is going on. They start us off clueless, but if you watch all the episodes you can understand what proxies are, what the cogito virus does, and all that.

A select group of humans fled Earth on the Boomerang Star; they're the "winners" and the people who got left behind are the "losers". The name of the spaceship pretty much speaks for itself. They left Earth, but always intended to return to it. That would be when the dust and clouds clear, when the sun can shine again and nature can grow once more. I imagine they'd take a bunch of seeds and animals with them on the Boomerang Star so they could repopulate the world's wildlife and such when returning.

I suppose I just don't really get why proxies must fight each other... unless humans weren't cooperating in the end and decided to continue being at war with each other through "proxies" - representatives. Say Japan had a proxy and Brittain had a proxy. Some higher up people from both Japan and Brittain fled Earth on the Boomerang Star, but still hadn't settled their differences. The proxies were left on Earth and if they fight, they fight. If Brittain's proxy kills Japan's proxy, then it's as if Japan lost a war to Brittain.

So, the people from the Boomerang Star returned... I wonder if there's gonna be a sequel or something.
May 21, 2011 4:37 AM
Jan 2010
The scene where he suddenly has his mask back when he looked back was epic.
May 30, 2011 6:49 AM

Apr 2010
Well, it really delivered quite an entertaining last episode if nothing else in the series didn't impress me that much. But i found a few good points, why this anime was worth of my time. It had good music including the op&ed themes, vibrant yet dark visuals and an interesting cast of characters. The story was so-so, it had some what's the meaning of life pointers and so on and it definitely made it more soulful. Still i can't give this anime an high score that it maybe deserves as one of the most underrated animes around. But it was better than Lain, which i almost didn't get at all. So in conclusion i give this anime a strong 7.
Jul 9, 2011 5:03 AM

Feb 2011
Vincent is so hot @_@

8/10
Oct 26, 2011 2:16 AM

Sep 2010
This was really good. Very deserving of a good score.
Nov 18, 2011 4:24 AM

Nov 2011
So... All in all, this is a anime about love and creation* (as i "Gods")?
Did not expect this when I started watching it.

Creation, destruction and rebirth, to be more correct.
Dec 31, 2011 8:15 PM

Nov 2011
Forough said:
Archon231 said:
The animation of this show was great (except the last few eps where people looked 'wrong') and I loved the music, especially Radiohead! :D

But really... I just can't agree with this being a good ending OR an anime that made any sense... It was just way to "I need to be on acid" to understand. I enjoyed watching it for a while, but they way the characters interacted made no sense and was too inconsistent. People were too... well "flip-floppy" and the "philosophical" conversations between Vincent and the other proxies boiled down in the end to "truth" or "truth." I understand the point was that truth is what you make it, but... I just didn't get that from the script.

I was just not impressed with the story and philosophy, it seemed like the classic "hey, I'm the director and I want to fuck with people so much that they think this is good even though it lacks real substance or congruency."

In any case... I loved Pino! ^_^

I can't agree with your point about this anime lacking real substance. If you read some books about existentialist ideas and philosophy then you'll realize that this anime not only is based on a very vast and complete knowledge of the post modern and existentialism schools but also tries to express director's/writer's answers to very fundamental questions about the concept of "God" , "freedom" and "morals". However, whether one likes such anime with philosophical themes is totally up to the person. You may dislike it or not understand it but that doesn't mean it's lacking substance or congruency, in my opinion.

Overall I give this anime a 9.5/10.

I agree with you Forough. If a person doesn't like existentialism or postmodern philosophy, they are free not to watch ergo proxy. We existentialists and post modernists get enough grief as it. Why can't we enjoy a show specifically made for us? This is our time.
Dec 31, 2011 8:21 PM

Nov 2011
Leibstandarte said:
TheOwnag3 said:
Wow... what an amazing ending.

This was a very open ending. "I am Ergo Proxy, The agent of death" and "Now the true battle shall begin" suggests that Vincent will battle against the creators once they arrive. I really hope for a second season or at least an ova.

Definitely one of my favourite anime, it fucked with my mind a lot but it was overall an awesome 'acid' trip ^^

5/5 and 10/10

Would Vincent really battle or wage war against the Creators (Human race)? Since the humans created Proxies, I bet they'd have developed ways to exterminate them too. I do share your view that a second season or at least an OVA should be made. I'm dying to know the fates of Pino and Re-l after Romdo's destruction. These characters are just too awesome not to be heard from again. The endiong left me wanting more!

Your quote reminds me of BSG and the cylons, the human race created the cylons and they rebelled. I'm watching bsg too at this time.
Yup, an awesome acid trip it is but it was worth the headache! LOL
Dec 31, 2011 8:21 PM

Nov 2011
enkil said:
...>_>
10/10
re-watch value: high

yeah it was alright, liked it better than most of the series i've watched lately.
I'm not a big fan of ignorance, so I'm gonna have to re-watch this series sometime in the future or at least research it.

he doesn't seem very friendly here.

Nothing wrong with not being friendly :)
Dec 31, 2011 8:23 PM

Nov 2011
unclesnapple said:
To the people who think this series was just the director trying to mess with people and had no substance, well, I would be respectful and say "I disagree" instead of "You're wrong," but... no, you're wrong. I'm talking mostly about Archon's post.

And I loved those episodes that bjt hated. The Quiz episode definitely furthered the plot, revealing a lot of secrets to us, and the other ones were more self-contained stories yes, but they were really well-told well-written stories.

I am still not 100% clear on most of the existential elements of the story after finishing, but I got most of it, and I am very happy. This was an excellent, excellent show. I'm going to give it a 9/10 for right now. I almost want to give it a 10, but I hate giving out 10s.

And woooo suck it, Daedalus. Way to get smashed to death by falling debris, loser!

I am thoroughly convinced that people put down what they don't understand.
Dec 31, 2011 8:26 PM

Nov 2011
seijurojushi said:
wait...WHAT?
hmmmmmh...
children drugs r bad...mkaayy?
series of awesomeness

Do you really think Dai Soto was on drugs when he wrote the script or the whole staff at manglobe was when they created the story?
Dec 31, 2011 8:30 PM

Nov 2011
Hmm. I think that "anti-intellectuals" should stay far away from this anime, as should people who don't like to think. I personally found it refreshing to find out I'm not the only one who enjoys deep thought. Maybe Japan is more conducive to this kind of meditative theme.
Jan 3, 2012 4:03 PM

Apr 2010
Danno said:

I suppose I just don't really get why proxies must fight each other...

I guess the only situation when two proxies meet is when one of them goes to another dome, which means it isn't doing its job - look after its own Dome? so maybe somewhere in their command they are told to annihilate the irresponsible one?
Feb 23, 2012 9:03 AM
Dec 2010
Humies coming back to earth while there's Vincent to greet them.

Overall great anime, except fillers.
Too bad there isn't any kind of after story,e.g. Encounter with those coming back from space or how they starts to live as family, something like Addams Family haha.

Anyway sequel as OVA or Movie would be satisfying.
Sent with Mal Updater
( Currently interested in OP MC genre. Recommendations are welcomed, preferable those yet not on my list )
Feb 25, 2012 5:57 AM

Aug 2009
Ergo Proxy is a psychological/philosophical masterpiece; leaving me with much to ponder about, and a lot more questions.

This last episode was simply awesome. Overwhelming and confusing at times with still many questions unanswered.

The story, as I understand it. (Correct me if I'm wrong):
Humanity, with all its flaws, unintentionally makes the earth uninhabitable, killing 85% of the population in the process. Attempting to save itself, humans creates bio-domes with Proxies at its core. However, these city states were imperfect and thus humanity aka "The Creators" created the Boomerang Project in which they escaped on a spaceship until earth was inhabitable again (about a thousand years), leaving the 300 or so Proxies to develop the remaining civilizations on their own in domed cities.
The humans left behind were somehow unable to reproduce, thus it was necessary to use a reproduction machine to produce humans. This truth was hidden from the rest of the citizens except a select few. It was clear that many dome cities laid to waste from either warring with one another or just unsuccessful. There are also indications that some humans had evolved to breath noxious gas environment and began reproducing on their own. However, their existence seem that of scavenging animals confined to darkness.

Ergo Proxy/Vincent Law and Proxy One are two parts of a whole. Re'l and Real were clones of Monad Proxy. However Real was cloned successful in combining the "Amrite" cell with the normal human cell, thus enabling her to transform into a Proxy.

I am still unclear as to why did Proxy One split itself into Ergo Proxy who then in turn created an alter ego Vincent Law? What is the truth behind those erased memories, the destruction of Mosque, and how it relates to Ergo Proxy and Monad Proxy? Why was Monad Proxy captured and brought to Romdeau? For what reason? Why?!

Also, I don't understand why Proxies were programmed fight one another upon meeting. I mean, what would be the purpose for that if they were trying to ensure human survival? It was obvious that some of them had feelings for other Proxies? Perhaps it was why all the proxies we came across had psychological problems.

Anyways, The "Creators" have once again return to earth. After a thousand years, I hope this time humanity has gotten it together. It would be interesting to see the encounter of the returning "Creators" and the ones left behind in an OVA or a movie. (crosses fingers)

The ending scene where Vincent proclaims, "I am Ergo Proxy. The Bringer of Destruction.", is an ominous sign that things won't go well in terms of diplomacy. However, I think Re'l and Pino will bring balance to Vincent's inherent animosity towards the "Creators".
Mar 4, 2012 7:04 PM
Oct 2009
ya the story was really sketchy and confusing after a while. i especially didn't like the parts where they jumped ahead in the plot. and the last 4-5 episodes. i mean come on.

but hey it was better than lelouch
Mar 11, 2012 1:01 PM

Aug 2011
The anime was confusing me all the time and when I thought I get it, other strange stuff happened. The last episode cleared a few things but not everything for me.
But I have to say, all in all it was a very good anime and the last scene was pretty cool.
Apr 18, 2012 4:37 AM

Nov 2008
Underrated (MAL). This masterpiece deserve 9+. All chapters from the 1st to the 23 is pure epicness. And the story is quite understandable.
ArkondeathApr 23, 2012 7:57 PM
Apr 23, 2012 7:56 PM

Nov 2008
Did I mention it has the best opening in anime history? Isn't an opinion, is a fact
Jul 30, 2012 11:29 AM

Jun 2011
This was really one of the most unique and interesting animes I've seen so far, and the ending was actually unexpectedly "normal" for this anime, considering all the mindfuck we've been served with so far. Despite that, the ending was fabulous, the last two episodes alone could almost take my score up to 10, but something's holding me back so I'll stick with a 9.
Ergo Proxy's been one of the best animes I've seen lately, animes like these are way too scarce.
Aug 19, 2012 11:37 PM

Apr 2011
That was fucking insane!! I really enjoyed this :D

5/5!
Aug 28, 2012 5:51 PM

May 2012
Decent final episode, in general I didn't liked this Anime too much as it didn't took much of my attention, the story line was weird to follow but in general it wasn't all too bad!
RafaelDeJonghApr 15, 2014 7:36 AM
Oct 27, 2012 2:14 AM

Oct 2012
This is one amazing ending...I will give this Anime a 9/10....
I guess I finally understood everything
The Good side in Vincent has finally won
-------Only God will judge me --------

iSignature
Nov 1, 2012 9:22 PM

Jul 2011
Although I love this series, every character, it is somewhat pretentious in in trying to be an actual "intelligent" series. Not saying it's a bad thing, but at the end, instead of using clear cut reasoning that would make sense, they had to dump "jung"-esque bs into it. It's unnecessary at the end because it's already been happening throughout the whole entire series.

Just wish there was more to it than that though. I love the setting, a post apocalyptic/dystopian world, with great characters (re-l, pino) and with so many questions left unanswered, it just seems like such a waste.
The chip in my mind, it summons me.
I gave my life to your machines.
Nov 6, 2012 2:19 PM
Jul 2010
I was happy about the ending overall.

Also, I was happy about Pino. She got her good end as far as I am concerned, and she also had a pretty cool bad-ass moment near the end.
Nov 10, 2012 12:31 AM

Aug 2012
9/10 - I think I'm satisfied and didn't hope for season 2 :) but I want to see more journey of lil , pino , vincent maybe I want an OVA that like episode 15

wvrNov 10, 2012 12:50 AM
Nov 20, 2012 4:35 PM

Feb 2010
Merril said:
As far as plot goes, I felt that half the episodes were detracting from the epicness of it. I was starting to be disappointed with it all, and then the ending was just wow.

I felt the same way; the ending pulled it through though ^_^
Nov 21, 2012 2:25 AM

Jan 2012
I really do like it, but I really have had a hard time understanding it all, and I believe I need to watch it again.... but here is something pretty funny:

Look! It Re-I:
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 28, 2012 7:46 AM

Apr 2009
Found it very interesting. No Wait. I take that back. I love Ergo Proxy. The last episode concluded almost everything about the story. I think I got most of it right, or maybe it's my pride that won't allow anything else...

But then again, stories such as this is what I tend to like the most. It shares resemblance with Inception and Shutter Island on the part that the truth isn't fed to you with a silver spoon. Though those two movies have different possible perspectives and answers. They're, subsequently, also impossible to accurately conclude what is the right and what is the wrong "truth". Ergo doesn't go that far. Thank goodness.

By the way, did anyone else notice the resemblance between the rise of the Lich King and the ending of Ergo?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OW02BWFRnkw&feature=player_detailpage#t=98s
It's the rise... of the proxy king.
RodaaNov 28, 2012 7:49 AM
Dec 20, 2012 10:53 AM

Dec 2012
The end of this anime was a little chaotic, but i liked it from the very beginning. At first i was rather prepared for a sad end (and it's still a bit sad) but author gave us a breath of hope so we can only imagine what will happen on earth after the 'creator' humans have come. Maybe the revenge of Ergo Proxy will become real ... maybe :)
Jan 24, 2013 12:53 AM

Nov 2011
Man I had so many mindfucks in this anime. I almost got lost in it all.
Really good overall though. I really just enjoyed all of the characters and hell I even felt sorry for poor Raul and Daedalus in the end.
I wasn't expecting Monad coming back to life just to commit suicide again and wooh it was just a jam-packed episode.

What I don't understand though is Vincent immune to sunlight or something? Since it appears Vincent is going to go on the returning human's asses, but it appears that the planet is getting better so sunlight will follow that.

That ending was epic though, 'I am Ergo Proxy... The Agent of Death.'
-blue eyes shine and CUT-
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Jan 25, 2013 3:44 PM

Aug 2011
Started episode 1 about 3 days ago. I have now finished watching it all and I am glad that I have chosen to watch it. I must say I enjoyed the show while not understanding exactly what was going on in the show. Despite not fulling comprehending the show, I loved the opening, art, characters, setting, and story. 9/10.

"The world cannot be changed with pretty words alone." ~ Lelouch Lamperouge (Code Geass)
Jan 28, 2013 12:39 AM

Dec 2009
One of the most decent endings to an anime i've ever scene. I loved how they tied up everything in the end although I was still kinda confused with some parts. But thanks to this thread, I understand alot more better. The puzzle pieces the show created has all finally connected within my mind. Thanks everybody.
I'm gonna bump up it from 8/10 to 9/10.
Feb 3, 2013 6:21 AM

Jan 2012
The ending was great. I really didn't expect a good end. All the characters I liked are alive. The show in general was awesome, loved the plot.

Feb 10, 2013 10:39 PM
Oct 2010
Desolatte said:

A very excellent episode! The ending was pretty bad ass too with Vincent's eyes glowing blue. It was very confusing but I thought I'd take a shot at summarizing what this entire anime was about.

I think that Ergo Proxy & Vincent Law together combined IS Proxy One. During the confrontation, Vincent said I am you and you are me. Proxy One. The episode before that when Vincent saw Monad in the chamber dead, he had Monad's pendant (Proxy #13) and another pendant which is assumed to be his (Proxy #1). Why must it be his? Because in the last episode, right before he vanished with Monad, he left behind his pendant. There were only two that he carried, and since he gave back Monad's, it must mean that the remaining Pendant was his - Proxy One's Pendant.

There is also another possibility is that the one that is sitting in the beginning of the encounter is Proxy One, while Vincent is his other half or what Proxy One calls "his Shadow".

So what was going on with Monad being Re-L? Daedalus apparently managed to make a clone of Re-L, which had extraordinary growth speed. It appears that Daedalus was experimenting with the real Monad in order to manipulate the Amrita cells, successfully being able to incorporate it into Re-L-2's body. This was sort of like a resurrection of Monad making her a Proxy, and therefore a God. This may be the result of Project ADW (to combine Amrita cells with that of ordinary human cells).

Although this may not be directly related to the story, one thing to note during this episode is the fact that Monad has wings, which she uses to fly closer to the sun. This is a reference to the greek mythology concerning Daedalus and Icarus (the son of Daedalus). Monad burns as she gets closer to the sun, despite Daedalus' unheard warnings.

So who is the creator? There is two immediate but not exactly proven answers: The human race, or a still yet unknown person/group. If it is indeed the human race, it is obvious they have returned to Earth after there has been a shed of light on the uninhabitable world. Proxies were indeed only created to set humanity in motion, yet their imperfections have created an imperfect place. The irony of the Proxies' creation is that the people who they have created will hate them in the end. Proxies were created to create a world (the hand's of the Creator), but once that world has been created, they are to disappear (the reason for Proxy One's anger and wanting to exact revenge on the Creator). This feeling of betrayal and lack of love has driven most of them into despair, which was only possible because the Creator had given them souls (it's something like "Feel my pain").

Those ships at the very end are strongly hinted to be from the Boomerang Star. Vincent was left to live, but was he left to live to punish this creator or was the creator already punished in the form of Vincent being the only proxy to live even after the Sun had rose? If he is to punish the creator by killing all of humanity, does it mean that Re-L will die? It may be over-analysis or not, but Re-L was technically created by Vincent by Artificial means. Does this nullify her being part of the human race? Is Vincent intending to kill them all and again creating a new Romdeau with his new knowledge of the world? If the creator isn't the human race, who is the Creator? That is something that is very hard to figure out.

The pulse of awakening meant the end of the proxies, yet it is apparently halted after he came back from talking to Monad. Even though Vincent lives, there is the question of how? There are two conflicts: Monad dying, and Proxy One dying. Monad's death can be explained by the fact the pulse of awakening wasn't halted until after she died - but then Proxy One should be able to live as well, but he doesn't which is a contradiction. Vincent may have halted the pulse of awakening AFTER both deaths, but how did he even stop it?

What was the Boomerang Project all about? What was the purpose of the Cogito virus? I'm assuming it was to give the AutoReivs a soul in order to feel the despair of it's creator. To feel emotions such as love and betrayal in order to show other's what neglect can do. The Cogito virus may have also been created to make humans realize that AutoReivs are not to be relied on heavily (the virus makes the autoreiv's become self-aware and self-controlling of their actions instead of heeding their master's orders), because they may very well be wiped out when humanity thrives once again without the dome.

As for what happened to Vincent in the past, I'm just going to briefly say he felt the Creator's pain. By having a soul, he [as Ergo Proxy/Proxy One] realized the failures of the Boomerang Project, so he decided to leave abandon his own city to be with Monad - the person he loved in the city of Moscow/Mosque (varies from the subs). Because of that, Monad was kidnapped by the city of Romdeau (as an act of Revenge for Ergo Proxy leaving them). Whether this takes place after or before he gives Monad & Amnesia (the AutoReiv) his memories is still questionable. I'm assuming that he gave his memories after being with Monad and that the kidnapping of Monad was not the cause for him to seal away his memories at all. Whether or not this is true, the fact is that Proxy One created another him in the form of Vincent Law - his shadow in order to live on "normally".

The fillers weren't really fillers nor pointless. They did reveal a lot of information concerning proxies and their reason for existence: A methane hydrate explosion that wiped out 85% of the humans, forcing the remaining humans to board a ship in space called the Boomerang Star, leaving behind 300 proxies to help rebuild Earth's population. The fact that proxies must fight whenever they see each other and that they are the God's of their respective cities/domes. The fact that proxies are part of the project known as the Boomerang Project. Not in the least bit uninformative at all.

Some people are complaining about the Smile Land episode being way too happy for such a dark series - but I really want to ask, how is this in any way "happy"? It's tragic that the proxy created such a world in order to maintain the image of happiness, but he himself was obviously not happy. His smile was forced, but it was the best he could do. All he wanted was to die being happy, and his attempt at it was to create a city that was filled with smiles all the time. Pino saved them a bit from the sadness by showing them a real smile, but the happiness only ends there.

Sorry for the lengthy post, but this is almost all what I think and is highly subjective. I have quite a few more things I wanted to cover but I'm starting to lose my train of thought so maybe one day I'll return to this anime and touch on those things a bit further. One thing's for sure though, a sequel/episode/ova is a must to wrap all of this together for good!

However, for now this series will be one of my favorites. 10/10

These are some of the same conclusions that I've drawn. Also, I think Vincent/Ergo Proxy is a clone of Proxy 1 that he made during his time away from Romdeau and I think the revenge that he must exact against the creators is either to destroy them (the returning humans) or to repopulate the earth with Re-L (who sees that the sterility in humans is not permanent from her observations of the primitive people in the cave and her conversation with Daedalus). Or something like that. Will definitely have to view again.

ALSOOO Re-L and Vincent were two fine looking peoples *fans self* Pino was adorable, and the opening is definitely one of the best of all time. Also, I'm so glad Kristeva survived the events! I always liked her.
Mar 10, 2013 5:44 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Desolatte said:

Thank you for taking the time to write out everything! This definitely helped we with some of the questions I had regarding this anime. I guess I wasn't pay enough attention to that quiz show episode XD I totally missed the fact that the humans were the creators of the proxies @_@ So basically: Human (creators) --> Proxies (creators) --> failed humans? The humans that left Earth are so cruel...making proxies like that. When the real sun returns, the proxies must die. The world of Ergo Proxy is extremely complicated. I don't quite understand why Vincent survives, I guess it has to do with how he's an "incomplete" proxy?

Btw, this anime is really good at playing with my emotions. I disliked both Raul and Daedalus after a certain point, but then both of their deaths were just too heartbreaking.

Verdict said:
Seems just like the ancient myth about daedalus and icarus,when you think about it.

And what concerns the final scene - it was pure awesome.
"I am Ergo Proxy. The Proxy of death."
*shining blue eyes*
Haven't seen such a cool ending in ages.

That ending definitely was badass XD I can't get over how awesome Vincent looked with his eyes glowing and then the three airship things in the background. LOVE IT. The bgm was also intense. Also, of course it was an allusion to Daedalus and Icarus. No one names their characters after Daedalus for no reason (a lot like how Stephen from "A Portrait of the Artist as a Young Man" had a last name "Dedalus.")

enkil said:

^That ending.
Apr 4, 2013 9:06 PM
Apr 2012
"Not now, I am trying to read my book!"
Oh Pino, you were the best character in this show.

Overall the show was amazing. Even though some episodes were kinda over the top, they did serve some purpose and I complete enjoyed them. The existentialism themes within the anime were greatly depicted, and the contrast between the different characters really helped. I wish the were more clear about some plot elements such as the cogito but its not too hard to guess.

My understanding of the main plot:
Humans left the dying planets in the care of proxies. They gave the proxies souls so that they could create and understand human life and have the capacity to rehabilitate humanity. The domes were created to contain life and serve as the starting point for the real humans when they return. Once this task is complete, the proxies will be terminated since they are no longer needed. Presumably, humans would no longer need AutoRevs anymore either and therefore the cogito virus was brought into play as a way to get rid of them. Humans then return and humanity will then be able to go on. (They done goofed)

Kinda similar to Asimov's Foundation series...

Overall... An amazing and mindblowing show
10/10 <3 Pino

(also first post on MAL)
Apr 7, 2013 7:09 AM

Jul 2009
6/10 here.
Didn't like it, proxys, Vince, story...only reason why I kept watching was because of Re-l and Pino.
Apr 25, 2013 10:30 PM
Apr 2013
You guys are missing the whole quote
""This is the world that stands before us, The world that we'll call our reality...but with Re-l, Pino and the other survivors with me...I know I can face this world. A world that is finally ready to heal itself. For the first time in thousands of years Mankind returns to meet its Earth, and now the true struggle must begin...I am Ergo Proxy, The Agent of Death"
His true struggle is to heal and repair Earth, NOT to destroy the returning humans. And it's Vincent, why would he kill anyone?
May 23, 2013 11:17 PM

Jan 2013
9.5/10
That was a better end then I could ever hope for.
Everything past the first 2 episodes I really liked.
May 23, 2013 11:31 PM

Oct 2012
RediceRyan said:
9.5/10
That was a better end then I could ever hope for.
Everything past the first 2 episodes I really liked.

*claps*

:)

Just this once, I'll fulfill whatever your wish is.
May 31, 2013 3:05 AM

Aug 2008
So, Vincent's gonna face the 'Creator', THE ORIGINAL HUMANS! It also kinda reminded me of the end of Apocalypto.
I doubt this show will have a 2nd season considering the end was purposely presented for us to wonder like a sandbox game.
Nevertheless, I hate to admit BUT I really wish the current anime moeblob trend will break for a while and instead present us with really good animes like this again.
FalloutShounen3May 31, 2013 3:30 AM
"Everyone wears their own panties inside their heart" - Kousaku Hata

Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 )

xel - May 31, 2008

93 by LonewolfNBU »»
Apr 12, 10:55 AM

Poll: » Why do people seem to not like Ergo Proxy?

TheGuiltMan - Nov 28, 2020

41 by oooo3333 »»
Mar 30, 12:12 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

78 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 10:41 AM

Poll: » Ergo Proxy Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

WinterNightsFall - Aug 20, 2008

71 by yojuno »»
Mar 26, 12:23 AM

» Ergo Proxy Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Aokaado - Dec 27, 2006

236 by llamav »»
Mar 18, 12:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.