Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 18, 2010 2:58 PM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That movie was amazing. It really captured the Professor Layton charm.

EDIT: I can't wait for the dub. It comes out this September.
RazorBeamzJul 18, 2010 3:04 PM
Jul 18, 2010 7:41 PM

Mar 2008
This movie was the first I'd heard of Layton. So I gave it a shot and ended up getting completely sucked in. Now here I sit, a few hours after watching the movie and listening to the different game soundtracks.

I too cannot wait for the dub, Layton needs to become more well-known.

Jul 18, 2010 8:04 PM

Aug 2008
I would suggest getting the games. They have amazing cutscenes and a great story.
Jul 19, 2010 1:43 AM

Sep 2009
Dub is bad )

Really interesting movie. No blood or fancervice. Only 98 minutes long. "Specific" graphics. But it was interesting. A bit funny, a bit dramatic and action was good. Love Nana Mizuki as Milenne/Jenice
Nachtwandler_21Jul 19, 2010 3:01 PM
Jul 19, 2010 7:46 AM

Aug 2008
Nachtwandler_21 said:
No blood or fancervicу.

Did you expect any? It's Professor Layton. The games are actually a bit tamer than this movie.
Jul 19, 2010 3:02 PM

Sep 2009
I just meam that mosty of people think that it's bad than anime has no fancervice or bloody scenes )))
Jul 20, 2010 8:49 AM
Nov 2008
I think this was an absolutely perfect adaptation of the games. It captured all the charm from the series, and hit the nostalgia factor perfectly, even having just played two of the games. Absolutely loved it!

My only gripe is that I don't think Layton's Japanese voice sounds enough like a scholarly gentleman. This is an extremely rare occasion where I'd prefer to watch the dub.
Jul 21, 2010 7:21 PM
Oct 2008
Nachtwandler_21 said:
Dub is bad )

Really interesting movie. No blood or fancervice. Only 98 minutes long. "Specific" graphics. But it was interesting. A bit funny, a bit dramatic and action was good. Love Nana Mizuki as Milenne/Jenice

not all dubs are bad. some are good and others not so good. professor layton's dub voice is perfect. it matches him. i hope the dub uses the original voice actors. i just wished this movie was shown in theaters.

look at all those other animated films that were brought to american theaters and yet layton isnt going to be? weak
Jul 23, 2010 1:19 AM

Jul 2010
I absolutely loved it.
As others said, I'll rewatch it next month with the english dub, since apparently they are going to get the same VAs that appeared in the games.
Can't wait!
Jul 26, 2010 11:54 AM

Jul 2008
Despite never having played the games I loved this movie. I regret passing up the opportunity to see it on the big screen during the BFI's anime weekend a few months ago. It was incredibly refreshing and had a lovely charm about it. I am also overjoyed to know that OLM are still in business and are working on productions other than Pokemon. I hope to see a lot more from them in the future and hopefully some more Layton installments! It was also great to watch an anime set where I live. I wish there was more anime set in London. This and Steamboy were a real treat. Thankfully we're getting Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva on DVD and Blu-ray in September, a rather snappy release for once. I can't wait to buy this wonderful movie.
ToukaJul 26, 2010 11:57 AM
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
Jul 26, 2010 3:56 PM

May 2008
Good for the most part, but some significant writing problems hampered it in the latter half. Still, way better than I expected since if they had just shoveled in a ton of puzzle bits it would have been awful. Instead things went pretty well by using a Detective Conan type formula.
Jul 28, 2010 9:57 AM

Sep 2007
Thalandor46 said:
This is an extremely rare occasion where I'd prefer to watch the dub.

Dito.
Being an English gentleman, Layton's (very British) English voice is much more suitable than his original Japanese voice.
So basically this is not only a rare case of me preferring a dub, it's also a rare case of me preferring British English over American English. XD
Jul 29, 2010 9:29 AM
Jan 2008
Film's available for purchase now! Naturally, I went for the collector's edition Blu-Ray ^^
And I spoke with Manga UK, who are releasing it in the UK. The dub actors for the game are providing the voices. Can't wait!

I first saw this a few months ago at an anime screening at the Southbank Cinema. Pretty cool to see in an environment of other anime fans really.
Aug 25, 2010 2:14 PM

Sep 2008
Introduced myself to this after I came across the ED song since I seem to like Mizuki Nana's songs more than other artists in general (but not so much as a fan). The song by itself stank of studio synth since even true electric organs in a church has way more depth. Despite its mediocrity, I rather liked this very unusual song by Nana (she needs to sing more slow ones!). It also surprisingly was an awesome ED when inserted in the movie.

After the song, looked up the anime and got put off by the art, but found the whole synopsis pretty interesting...puzzles? I got used to the art surprisingly quickly (but hey, I also watched 70s animations on LQ Youtube and got used to that!) and found the background art to be especially excellent. The movie itself was a really good ride and I have not watched something 100% "safe" in ages. It's definitely meant for kids but I still liked it.

Great, looks like a mini-review but that's just my feelings there.
Hyouka and real-life Takayama comparison blog: Completed 31/10/2015
http://hyoukaorigination.blogspot.com/

Aria the Animation and real-life Venice comparision blog:
http://veniceorigination.blogspot.com
Sep 17, 2010 2:38 PM

Oct 2009
Nice movie, typically Layton =)

Hellicus99 said:

I'll rewatch it next month with the english dub, since apparently they are going to get the same VAs that appeared in the games.

Really? Nice ^^
Spade said:
Thalandor46 said:
This is an extremely rare occasion where I'd prefer to watch the dub.

Dito.
Being an English gentleman, Layton's (very British) English voice is much more suitable than his original Japanese voice.
So basically this is not only a rare case of me preferring a dub.

Agreed
Oct 6, 2010 6:08 PM

Sep 2008
I think I can understand why the Layton games are so praised.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Oct 6, 2010 8:28 PM
Feb 2009
jsus crust. Best thing I have ever watched.
Oct 8, 2010 9:46 PM

Jan 2010
I thought this was a great movie! I'm still playing the first game for the first time after all these years...
Oct 9, 2010 11:26 PM

Jul 2009
Now that i think about it. I think i shoulda watched a dub, I mean Hershel is a english gentleman and all. As for the riddles in the movie, i guessed #1 wrong #2 Right #3 Right #4 Didn't guess fast enough before they solved it. The Song Riddle, i guessed about half of it right.
If your going to complain that Yu-Gi-Oh! Mangas are on the top NY times manga best sellers, you must not realize how popular Card games are(as well as the fact that you get a free card).
Oct 15, 2010 9:25 PM

Jun 2010
I wasn't very impressed. For a while, we have that group of people who are seeking eternal life, but none of them really have any character and none of them are important. They just seem to take up space.

De Scole's a pretty bland villain and the whole sympathetic story of the secondary villain was pretty typical for this kind of movie.

The games don't sky away from outlandish material (in fact all three games have an outlandish central gimmick, even if it's only revealed at the end), but I think the giant robot was going too far.

Remi was kind of cool, but not particularly inventive.
FronzelOct 15, 2010 9:49 PM
Oct 17, 2010 4:05 AM
Dec 2007
The mix between the game riddles and movie narrative is absolutely brilliant, the rhythm is near perfect and all the direction flows very well, of top of the animation and music being top-notch. To add to that, the choice of Mizuki Nana for the theme songs and the eternal diva is a really, really good fit (actually she's the only seiyuu able to do this role probably). The script is well thought out even is the main themes and storyline is pretty simple overall, but the movie is so filled with details and nice ideas that I won't complain about it. To sum it up, Professor Layton and the Eternal Diva is a true delight for your eyes, ears and brain. It could have been a 10/10 anime movie if it weren't for the obvious Laputa references all over that tend to indicate a lack of creativity at times, and some small drops in interest especially in the second part of the movie. It was exquisite anyways : 9/10.

In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same.
Oct 17, 2010 8:58 PM
Sep 2010
Oct 21, 2010 7:17 PM

Jun 2009
Professor Layton is the most manly gentleman ever.
Oct 22, 2010 6:05 PM

Dec 2008
very surprising, i wasnt expecting much as anime adaptations of games usually suck but this was decent, i watched it english dubbed and it was not bad other than Luke's VA, i almost wanted to swith audio tracks every time he spoke, i dont mind his VA in the games tho (wiki says there are different VAs for luke in europe and US).

layton makes every fight epic.
Oct 22, 2010 6:16 PM

Aug 2008
Maybe in the US if it comes out here we'll get it dubbed with our Luke.
Oct 25, 2010 2:09 AM

Sep 2007
Fronzel said:
but I think the giant robot was going too far.

Agreed.

I also thought building a helicopter from trash was a bit weird (Hershel MacGuyver?) but since he also built a machine gun from a slot machine in the third game, I guess I'll have to accept that side of him. >.>
Nov 11, 2010 5:20 PM

Nov 2009
masterpiece. i like luke's quote : sorega anata wa!!(while pointing )
Jan 9, 2011 8:05 PM

Jul 2008
Kinzo said:
Professor Layton is the most manly gentleman ever.

You mean the second most manly gentleman ever, behind Inspector Clamp Grosky.
I write about manga → morningroo.com
and movies → letterboxd.com/ugla
May 16, 2011 12:32 PM

Dec 2009
I enjoyed it. It captured the charm and atmosphere of the games perfectly (kinda obvious since it's adapted from one of the games) but in movie form some of the story's narrative's problems stand out more. Still, I hope they make more of these because I particularly liked how they worked the riddles into the story.
Ara ara.
May 27, 2011 8:15 AM

Oct 2008
Just watched it with my anime club at university.

We had some wtf moments like the giant crab castle and the ambrosia city that was so irrelevant at the end. Many lols were had.
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jul 8, 2011 11:13 AM

Apr 2009
This is the only thing I've ever waited for to get dubbed. I just couldn't watch the movie without Layton's accent.
if we die we'll meet again in valhalla...
Nov 21, 2011 1:27 PM

Nov 2007
Does anyone know if the EUR version dub is different from the US dub... I got the one from CoalGirls... and heard the dub... but for some reason, Emmy sounds different here compared to her US dub voice in the Specter game...
Dec 6, 2011 1:03 AM

Nov 2011
Avegaille said:
Does anyone know if the EUR version dub is different from the US dub... I got the one from CoalGirls... and heard the dub... but for some reason, Emmy sounds different here compared to her US dub voice in the Specter game...

She did sound kind of different to me, but I wasn't really paying attention. I'm sure the EUR dub is the same as the US dub though.

I found this movie beautiful. The use of music and the way they replicated the atmosphere of a Layton game was just amazing. I think it may be attributed to the fact I played The Last Specter before watching this. The game really helps provide the much needed characterization the movie lacked, especially for Emmy and Luke. It also makes Descole's mechanical toy less out of place. It is unfortunate that this movie was released prior to the game. If anyone planning to watch this movie have the chance and time to play the game, I highly suggest doing so beforehand.
MissileSoupDec 6, 2011 1:14 AM
Aug 24, 2012 2:34 PM

Apr 2012
Spade said:
Fronzel said:
but I think the giant robot was going too far.

Agreed.

I also thought building a helicopter from trash was a bit weird (Hershel MacGuyver?) but since he also built a machine gun from a slot machine in the third game, I guess I'll have to accept that side of him. >.>

The chopper was totally A-Team!

While you could tell it was based on a game, it was done so really well I thought. Could've done with another puzzle even, in fact, as that was a large part of the appeal to me.

Like someone else said, it felt *vaguely* like Laputa in places, but my only real quibble was with the multi-purpose one-man-orchestra/ mind-transferral/ mechazilla machine (and maybe the fact there were actually two "Milena"s throughout, if you think about it). Fun little adventure though.

Definitely enjoyed Grosky.
Aug 31, 2012 10:57 AM

Feb 2012
Jacut said:
The mix between the game riddles and movie narrative is absolutely brilliant, the rhythm is near perfect and all the direction flows very well, of top of the animation and music being top-notch.

Agreed, this movie was a fantastic adaptation. I did not think a movie of Layton would work but them solving the puzzles in front of our eyes was great! I only wish there had been more puzzles, particularly towards the end, a finale one would've been nice (the music thing was kinda lame...)

But yeah this movie had all the charm of Layton, the character design, the great music, the utterly ridiculous plot twist, and on top of all that, Layton being the all around badass that he is. We can add piano playing to his many credentials now!

My only gripe was the main villain... pretty bland on top of the whole giant mech thing... is he in the prequel trilogy or something cuz Luke seemed to know him but I'd never seen the guy (I've only played the original trilogy).
Dec 8, 2012 7:32 PM

Oct 2011
Being a fan of the handheld game and always wanting to see a animation of this then i saw this so i had to give it a shot. It was pretty entertaining but every moment in the movie i kept thinking of what kind of little objects might randomly make Layton think of some random obscure puzzle. Made me feel like replaying the old DS ones again
Dec 23, 2013 7:30 PM

May 2012
This movie was quite impressive, I'm really impressed on how well they managed to make a movie and give the proper feel to every characters from a game! The detective work to the actual plot was just amazing and well it sure had one hell of an awesome ending to close the movie with!

All by all one hell of a great movie I must say!
Jul 17, 2014 5:25 AM

Mar 2013
An entertaining watch and a good adaptation of the "Laytonverse" in general. That said, I didn't think the story in this was as good as the stories found in the games.
Jul 19, 2014 6:13 PM

Jul 2012
Good movie. Nice puzzles, cool scenery, accurate to the game.

Only things I didn't really like were the whole fantasy plot going on.
Fronzel said:
I wasn't very impressed. For a while, we have that group of people who are seeking eternal life, but none of them really have any character and none of them are important. They just seem to take up space. De Scole's a pretty bland villain and the whole sympathetic story of the secondary villain was pretty typical for this kind of movie. The games don't sky away from outlandish material (in fact all three games have an outlandish central gimmick, even if it's only revealed at the end), but I think the giant robot was going too far.

This.
May 18, 2015 3:47 PM

Jul 2014
I liked the background art, the character design and the ost. The vibe was nice, but I didn't really liked the plot, especially towards the end.
Some elements, like the lost civilization, the action-packed scene, the lame villain characterization and the final plot twist, felt forced, old fashioned and trite.
Oct 11, 2015 8:43 AM
Jun 2015
lilyfag said:
jsus crust. Best thing I have ever watched.
Mar 8, 2017 11:13 AM

Aug 2013
This film was way better then I thought I'd be, some of the puzzles actually felt possible instead some bullshit that doesn't make sense that's like thrown together via exposition. The characters where simple but in a nice way, the giant robot was a bit much but it still a nice watch none the less.
Sep 24, 2017 6:05 AM

Oct 2015
This was good as I got captivated by it and the story. I guess in the they never found the island of Ambrosia, but nonetheless it was a good anime to watch. I loved how Melina left Janice's body, it was heart warming and yet sad especially when he bidder farewell to her father. Although the art reminds of western cartoon and Layton looks like a Lego but I loved him because of his deduction skills.

I wish it was a full on series though, so I give an 8/10.
lihle808Sep 24, 2017 6:09 AM
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Aug 16, 2018 9:46 AM

Nov 2013
That was ok. The detective was fucking boring, fuck him twice. His slave boy was annoying, useless piece of shit.
The movie was classy, so 6/10.
I'm still angry about this stupid KIHG puzzle.
Oct 31, 2018 9:35 AM

Aug 2016
Didn't know Layton had any supernatural esque elements to it, kind of disappointed to be honest, and the dub just sounded off, like Layton's voice was good but Lucas (?) and a few other voices just sounded like they were talking into a Pringles can or something. Guessing the main villain was a character from the games considering he was also in the start of the movie which took place after everything. Though with all said and done it was a good movie.. Is what I would say if the police officer was in it more. Fucking awful movie, 3/10.
Nov 1, 2019 9:12 AM

Aug 2017
This was a great movie. I am not a big fan of the CGI, but the story was quite entertaining. Professor Layton sure brings back memories!
Feb 27, 2020 7:55 AM

May 2016
This is so underrated. The movie captures the spirit of the games very well.
Down on the West Coast

They got a sayin'

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this sub or dub?

Budi_wibu_sehat - Apr 27, 2022

5 by BanzaiAlex »»
May 8, 2022 12:56 PM

Poll: » :Spoilers!: Double Existence Theory

Kuandohan - Aug 23, 2013

3 by BlokeTokes »»
Sep 7, 2014 6:32 PM

» A few things which confused me

Fronzel - Oct 15, 2010

3 by Blackouting »»
Aug 31, 2012 4:22 PM

» Do I need to play the games before watching?

Strife91 - Mar 4, 2011

2 by Nerdo »»
Nov 5, 2011 7:40 AM

» Fansub group?

Loogiesquared - Jun 8, 2010

6 by UltimaniumX »»
Mar 19, 2011 12:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.