Forum Settings
Forums
New
Oct 15, 2010 10:02 PM

Jun 2010
At the beginning of the film, Jenis (actually a copy of Melina) tells Layton that a small girl calling herself Melina came to her and claimed to be a reincarnation of the dead Melina who had been granted immortality.

Is this true, or was Jenis/Melina lying to Layton to draw him into her father's plans so he could crack them open? If it was true, why would Nina/Melina come to "Jenis" and say these things?

Secondly, setting Jenis/Melina's story side, the behavior of Nina/Melina confuses me. Nina had an imperfect copy of Melina inside her, but it was apparently good enough of a copy for Nina's original persona to be subsumed for a time. If this is the case, why didn't the Melina in Nina demonstrate the opposition to Whistler's plans that the Melina in Jenis demonstrated? In fact, Nina/Melina pushes that detective into the seas for threatening "our" plans! Why does she behave in this way?
Aug 24, 2012 2:54 PM

Apr 2012
Yeah it doesn't stand to overanalysing. Or just analysing. I cut it some slack for being a family-themed game adaptation that did a good job for the most part. I suppose the two Melinas could've evolved their personalities in different directions. Nina was pretty unstable anyway. You could write a philosophical dissertation on that topic.

Sorry it's an old thread but it's nice to have someone agreeing with a post you made...
Aug 24, 2012 7:08 PM

Jun 2010
I think usual forum etiquette against replying to old threads don't really exist on MAL; people can watch the same show years after others and each show has its own tiny sub-forum, usually with a small number of threads, so necro-bumping doesn't bother anyone. Even if a poster you reply to never sees what you write, maybe someone else will.

Back on topic, it's true that Professor Layton has always told pretty simple stories and this film is in keeping with that (it's an original story, by the way, not one from the games) but then I wonder why it almost seems to flirt with science-fiction ideas of machines that can replicate human personalities when it could just do something simpler. Maybe I wouldn't bother trying to figure it out but that tiny niche of sci-fi happens to interest me.

I would admire the film if the writers decided to try something a little adventurous rather than something safe, but the problem is that it doesn't make a lot of sense.
Aug 31, 2012 4:22 PM

Apr 2012
yeah there's hardly any threads to worry about losing :) just covering my asx in case someone moans

I since realised it was an original story and thought about lowering my score a point but skimmed the version on Youtube again (which I think's a fansub, so may not be 100% accurate), but all the parts with Nina and Jenis do seem to make *some* sense after all. Though I guess it depends how much of an elaborate (hyper?)plot you want to credit this with...
Jenice/Melina seems startled by Nina/Melina's admission of reincarnation (which may or may not have happened like that anyway); it could be that Jenis/Melina was not aware her father was still conducting experiments, and the copy of Melina used predates the intake of the personality inside Jenis, with Nina/Melina unaware there is a Melina in Jenis, who's a willing host.
"Nina"'s actions (eg pushing Grosky) are totally out of character but she's consistently portrayed fairly malevolently throughout, which could just be a side-effect of her needing a more suitable body and desperately set on finding one at any costs. Her father is also a "good" character following a bad path, so there's certainly a lot of grey areas in this. The Melina in Jenis meanwhile has a safe home, had the time to realise this is wrong and wants Layton to expose the scheme. She could've just told him the truth I suppose...
(It begs the question why only one girl - the chess player - made it into this convoluted selection process - the whole charade would explain her disappearance as winning immortality but the police would surely find her living with a prime suspect. Why any of this is necessary for Descole's ends is a bit iffy though; only Melina knows a secret song so must be kept alive).

I'm going to give them the benefit of the doubt since it's a reasonably coherent story and I'm not having to invent *too* much to desperately make it make sense, which would annoy me enough to make it a 6/10. I generally like how they attempted to make various dialogue ambiguous in meaning, and dependent on what the viewer knows, even if it does get a bit messy.

More topics from this board

» Should i watch this sub or dub?

Budi_wibu_sehat - Apr 27, 2022

5 by BanzaiAlex »»
May 8, 2022 12:56 PM

Poll: » Layton Kyouju to Eien no Uta Hime Episode 1 Discussion

RazorBeamz - Jul 18, 2010

46 by TeamDalaiLana »»
Feb 27, 2020 7:55 AM

Poll: » :Spoilers!: Double Existence Theory

Kuandohan - Aug 23, 2013

3 by BlokeTokes »»
Sep 7, 2014 6:32 PM

» Do I need to play the games before watching?

Strife91 - Mar 4, 2011

2 by Nerdo »»
Nov 5, 2011 7:40 AM

» Fansub group?

Loogiesquared - Jun 8, 2010

6 by UltimaniumX »»
Mar 19, 2011 12:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.