Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 16, 2010 1:25 PM
Jul 2009
I am looking for an anime that blows your mind in the end or one with a deep/metaphoric plot.

It can be mixed with comedy,romance,etc.

The episodes need to flow, not like Mushishi where the next episode is not directly related to the one before

Basically, I'm looking for an anime that
1) causes you to "WTF" at the end of the anime
2) has a high re-watch value
or
3) has a deep entertaining plot

Thanks in advance,
mushypizza
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 16, 2010 1:30 PM

Apr 2009
Monster
Mononoke
Haibane Renmei
Monster
Earth Maiden Arjuna
Bokurano
Monster
Aoi Bungaku

And... Monster :)
Jul 16, 2010 1:40 PM

Oct 2009
Ah. You've already seen Bakemonogatari. So, how about Elfen Lied?
Jul 16, 2010 1:41 PM

Feb 2010
Paranoia Agent (metaphorical, also WTF)
Legend of the Galactic Heroes (deep, entertaining plot, some WTF moments, space opera)
Higurashi ni Naku Koro ni (many, WTF moments, very entertaining plot. Some deepness, but not the strong point of the show)
I probably regret this post by now.
Jul 16, 2010 1:52 PM
Jul 2018
trigun
gundam 00... wait gundam in general
monster
lain
Jul 16, 2010 2:12 PM

Nov 2007
Gundam 00 has a plot as deep as an emo song is soothing.

Most of my favorites have plots that I would admit are pretty trivial, but I will agree with Mononoke.
Elsewhere, a somewhat startled Warren Worthington III finds that he has accidentally wandered into an electrified east-side world of post-twist teens and watsui-ing teeny-boppers...
Jul 16, 2010 2:20 PM

May 2010
True Tears had an amazingly good and deep plot.
Jul 16, 2010 2:27 PM

Jul 2008
Neon Genesis Evangelion - Considering End of Evangelion the ending
Code Geass
Kimi ga Nozomu Eien
Clannad
Bokurano
Monster
Aoi Bungaku
Death Note
Detective Conan(the plot is simple but the cases are extremely interesting)
Detective Academy Q(same as DC)
Fate/Stay Night
Kara no Kyoukai
Jul 16, 2010 2:28 PM

May 2009
RahXephon
Jul 16, 2010 2:44 PM

Sep 2009
Royal_Cheese said:
True Tears had an amazingly good and deep plot.

The girl was staring at a chicken for 5 minutes at the end.

Credit to WingZero619 from Animesuki!!
Jul 16, 2010 4:30 PM

Aug 2009
Code Geass , definetly.
Jul 16, 2010 5:28 PM
Jun 2010
mushypizza said:
I am looking for an anime that blows your mind in the end or one with a deep/metaphoric plot.

It can be mixed with comedy,romance,etc.

The episodes need to flow, not like Mushishi where the next episode is not directly related to the one before

Basically, I'm looking for an anime that
2) has a high re-watch value
or
3) has a deep entertaining plot

Thanks in advance,
mushypizza

Yep, sounds like Zeta Gundam to me. :3

The ending is so unique for an anime; main character doesn't die, but he's pretty messed up in the end. :p You don't really need to watch the prequel considering it has a new cast and whatnot. It might be good to, but you really don't. It's good on it's own. ;)

It's definitely tragedy at it's best. I would suggest Victory Gundam as a standalone, but you really have to have an interest in melodramas to understand how powerful it was. Few people really appreciate such a series, but those who really get into it, word for word; it's such an enjoyable experience.

Zeta would definitely be the mellow of the two (Which really says something about Victory; because many people talk about how dramatic Zeta Gundam is).
Jul 16, 2010 5:45 PM

Nov 2008
Vision of Escaflowne has a pretty deep, involved plot. And the ending is very emotional!

Jul 16, 2010 5:52 PM

Jul 2008
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles (manga is deeper though) nice supernatural / romance / action and clamp <3

Kino no Tabi is short and easily rewatchable, great one too, really beautiful anime.

Darker than black could be a nice one too, I really fancy re-watching it soon, too.
Jul 16, 2010 5:54 PM
Apr 2009
Ergo Proxy!

You can't watch it just once. You definitely have to watch it twice in order to take in all the historical/cultural allusions that are woven into the plot and to fully understand the world in which the story takes place. It's a series that brings philisophical concepts like "raison d'être," among others, into question. It has complex characters and a unique sci-fi plot. It's intriguing and entertaining at the same time.
YvesJul 16, 2010 8:03 PM
Jul 16, 2010 7:10 PM
May 2010
i recently finished Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei. it made me go wtf every few episodes, is entertaining, and very deep. More importantly, it's the first ending i've felt satisfied with since...well i can't remember any series with a good ending off the top of my head. i've always felt they could've continued or were just plain bad. But Yojouhan Shinwa Taikei is really deep, great ending, and not your typical series. It's probably only series where I watched the op in every eps as well cause it felt original compared to everything else and reminded me of the Beatles. Watch the first eps at least and give it a shot.
Jul 16, 2010 7:43 PM

Mar 2009
Seconding Ergo Proxy for all the reasons Yves stated and more. Probably the most philosphical anime I have yet seen. Very different, although it doesn't look that way at the beginning.

Paranoia Agent isn't quite super deep, but it's smart and savvy and surreal. Same with Mind Game.
Jul 16, 2010 9:27 PM

May 2009
TyG3R said:
Code Geass , definetly.

No.

(I liked the series, but the plot was fairly simplistic and the ending was terrible.)
Jul 17, 2010 9:05 AM

Aug 2009
It's just your opinion , dude. I can say the same thing about TTGL.
Jul 17, 2010 1:51 PM
Feb 2009
Kaiba (though the art/design is not for everyone)
Also backing Haibane Renmei.
Jul 17, 2010 1:57 PM

Jun 2010
Lain, Kimi ga Nozomu Eien, Code Geass, aaand maybe Tokio Magnitude?
Jul 17, 2010 5:44 PM

Aug 2009
Nyktos said:
TyG3R said:
Code Geass , definetly.

No.

(I liked the series, but the plot was fairly simplistic and the ending was terrible.)

Oh dear, I didn't realize it was opposite day around here. TTGL rocks!!!!!!

sorry, couldn't resist
Jul 17, 2010 5:53 PM

May 2009
Note that I didn't rec TTGL in this thread. It's my favourite anime, but its plot is about as far from "deep" as you can get.
Jul 17, 2010 6:33 PM

Jun 2010
I don't think I saw anyone suggested this. Seriously? Fullmetal Alchemist, definitely. I saw the title of the topic and FMA popped into my head. I think it describes what you're looking for. I suggest watching it, if you haven't.
A N I M E & M A N G A videos:
http://youtube.com/theRAofEdwardElric

SUSTAIN THE ANIME INDUSTRY!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIIak-O1BwM
Jul 17, 2010 6:35 PM

Apr 2009
theRightArm said:
I don't think I saw anyone suggested this. Seriously? Fullmetal Alchemist, definitely. I saw the title of the topic and FMA popped into my head. I think it describes what you're looking for. I suggest watching it, if you haven't.
As long as you're talking about Brotherhood, I agree completely.
Jul 17, 2010 6:53 PM

Aug 2007
k-on has a deep plot
it greatly moves me
Jul 17, 2010 8:23 PM
Jul 2009
Thanks for the replies guys.
I really appreciate it :D
Jul 18, 2010 1:24 AM

Nov 2007
Please do not watch Tsubasa Chronicles (series). Find the "what manga are better than the anime threads" if you need proof from people who are not me. Has to be the single most common reviled adaptation.
Elsewhere, a somewhat startled Warren Worthington III finds that he has accidentally wandered into an electrified east-side world of post-twist teens and watsui-ing teeny-boppers...
Jul 18, 2010 3:53 AM

Oct 2008
Maybe you can give Kuroshitsuji a try
Jul 18, 2010 5:14 AM

Jul 2008
Sweetpea said:
theRightArm said:
As long as you're talking about Brotherhood, I agree completely.

The original is pretty awesome too, a lot more depth than the beginning episodes of brotherhood (because they had to rush through them, but still), and the animation / plot of the original is still pretty great.
Jul 18, 2010 10:05 AM

Oct 2009
TyG3R said:
Code Geass , definetly.

lmfao...NO! go watch Haibane Renmei
Jul 18, 2010 12:00 PM
Jun 2010
Code Geass isn't very deep but it fits this :

Jul 18, 2010 2:50 PM

Jan 2010
Death Note
Jul 19, 2010 4:41 AM

Jun 2010
Elfen Lied is a masterpiece.
You should definetely watch it.
TaktykalJul 20, 2010 4:33 AM
Jul 19, 2010 2:13 PM

Aug 2008
Looking at my list I would say any of the following:

Gankutsuou*
Revolutionary Girl Utena*
Trigun
X TV
Fullmetal Alchemist
Serial Experiments Lain*
Jyu Oh Sei*
And Evangelion if you haven't seen it. It meets your reqs very well (though I find its entertainment value to be debatable).

* indicates most recommended according to your reqs.

Detailed rec with info on streaming (unless you prefer torrenting)

Gankutsuou runs very deep, not a dull moment, philosophical in its own right, and just downright beautiful. Ending is unexpected but not the best, but overall is a good title. A lot of WTFness. Re-watch value is okay-ish but the first run through cannot be emulated the second run through, unfortunately. The ending def. had me going WTF, but whether that is in the good or bad way is up for whoever to decide. Available on Funi's site if you are in the U.S.

Revolutionary Girl Utena is episodic but not in an estranged way, is VERY metaphorical, complex, comedic and romantic, and has some of the best plot twists at the end. Masterpiece and probably more underrated than overrated though I was admittedly obsessed for a good while and would rate it a 9 if I were to redo everything in my list, but still happily rewatch it time to time. Its ending alone I consider the most fulfilling and most complete, most relevant to the series' entirety, and is the deepest out of any ending I have seen for a series. Whole series will make you think WTF including the ending arc and has high re-watch value. I put a VHS quality fansub up on Youtube. Can find it on VEOH, too. Remastered version has disappeared due to copyright claims.

Lain: Can be draggy for being short in episodes but is very metaphorical, very complex, and has a very unexpected ending. Total WTF anime. Re-watch value is not very high. Should be easy to find on Youtube subbed or dubbed.

Jyu Oh Sei: I watched this on Funi's site (only works if you are in the U.S.) and it is very original, has very unexpected plot twists, is deep in its own way but is a bit pretentious in its attempts at symbolism. Still worth checking out and its a shortie and I marathoned it at the cost of sleep. Kept me on my toes. Major WTFness though I have had no desire to rewatch it.

Trigun subbed and dubbed should still be on Youtube. Entertaining, deep (after a handful of episodes), and has good re-watch value. Plot twists.
X TV may still be on Youtube but otherwise is found on Funi's site. No strong desire to re-watch, fairly entertaining, worth checking out.
Fullmetal Alchemist is available on Funi's site. I've only yet seen the first anime through. Re-watch value is good and the ending, despite what critics say, is very unexpected and I liked it a lot.
aixelsydJul 19, 2010 2:47 PM
Jul 19, 2010 2:39 PM

Feb 2010
I concur about Neon Genesis Evangelion. :3

Maybe I'm just dumb, but after I watched it and the movie, I had to spend an hour on wiki trying to figure out what the hell just happened.
Jul 19, 2010 2:42 PM

May 2010
Actually Code Geass is a pretty good recommendation according to his standards. I mean the plot isn't very deep, (it is not) but it sure is entertaining! A lot of big "wtf moments" (pretty much at the end of every episode), and it has a very high re-watch
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Jul 19, 2010 3:20 PM

Dec 2008
Seconding these:

Monster
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Jul 19, 2010 3:29 PM

Jul 2009
Nathy_Rabello said:
Death Note

Not deep, or surprising ending. :|
Jul 19, 2010 5:28 PM

May 2009
@supersayen: Well, that's true. I suppose if the OP is okay with it not being a good WTF...
Jul 19, 2010 10:20 PM

Oct 2009
I'm suprised that no one has mentioned Wolf's Rain yet >.>
it was such a good anime and the ending still freaks me out and makes me tear up a little owo'
Jul 19, 2010 10:24 PM

Feb 2010
code geass
Jul 20, 2010 5:24 PM

Oct 2009
checkdafool said:
code geass

NO NO NO dont watch this
Jul 20, 2010 10:26 PM
Jul 2018
monster..............................................................................................moble suit gundam.........................................................................
Jul 21, 2010 6:53 AM

Feb 2008
School Days. I think that's a 'WTF' ending.
Jul 21, 2010 7:04 AM
Feb 2010
BakaKawaii said:
Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicles (manga is deeper though) nice supernatural / romance / action and clamp <3

This ♥
Jul 21, 2010 10:29 AM
Oct 2009
I recently finished Dennou Coil. The plot had twists and turns everywhere on the second half of the series. Ending isn't amazing, but it closes off mostly everything in a satisfactory manner. for me at least.
Jul 22, 2010 8:49 PM

Jun 2010
A lot of the series named are good
Here is a list of what i consider "EPIC" animes in the old English term and modern, they are purply lol
Evangelion
RahXphon
Clannad ~ Afterstory (best romance ever)
Code Geass + R2
Elfen Lied
Melody of Oblivion
Death Note (quite notable :P)
Eureka 7
Blood+
Angel Beats (not much story and a bit short but was interesting)
When they cry (Both series are awesome)(Its quite horrific both of them)
Claymore (manga only the anime ends randomly)
HunterXHunter (Makes naruto look like a lil bitch)
Miria Nikki
Ubel Blatt
xxxHolic (manga)
Tsubasa reservoir chronicles (manga ~ Even I was quite surprised as to the ending and how it got there)
+Anima (was cute)
Fire Candy (sadly was cut short but the road was quite epic anyways)
Sorry for the long post I had a little fun with it :P
**** 2d and 3d I only go for the 4d...
Jun 19, 2017 9:54 AM
Feb 2017
Neon Genesis Evangelion
Fate Stay/Night: Unlimited Blade Works
Ajin
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Girls with guns and knives

LoveYourEyes - Apr 22

7 by LoveYourEyes »»
9 minutes ago

» RomCom Suggestions for someone who's seen a lot of em

Benassiesto - Yesterday

5 by MeguSae38 »»
37 minutes ago

» looking for anime recommendations from people who has similar taste

windyshadow - Apr 21

20 by windyshadow »»
3 hours ago

» Almost cyberpunk sci-fi anime

Eternal-Destiny - 9 hours ago

3 by vasipi4946 »»
3 hours ago

» Looking for Solo Leveling kind of anime

RiasuSama - Apr 16

9 by AnimeDownUnder »»
5 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.