Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 6, 2010 6:50 PM

May 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
So, what do people think of the series?

Consensus seems to be (and I agree with it) that the animation is, figuratively and literally, out of this world. The artwork has some of the most detail I've ever seen in animation, and while ironically the humans aren't always that well-animated, all the set-pieces and setting details are absolutely gorgeous. The air battles are also insanely awesome, as many have noted.

However, the plot...needs work. Too vague, and as one reviewer put it, not enough information to actually make me get into it. Well, I'd say, it had enough plot if it were shorter, and just standard western movie length. However, split over five episodes, it was too long. I just never felt like I got enough of what was going on to really get "into" it.

Questions:
* What do YOU think happened to Rei Fukai and Yukikaze?
** What do you think the creators of this series wanted us to think? Was the ambiguity intentional? What does that little hint at the end mean?
* What are the JAM? Are they some sort of planetary defense force for Fairy? Are they themselves the planet Fairy? Why did they attack through the hyperspace portal? Are they perhaps just greedy like us humans?
* And why the hell is Lynn Jackson a major character? Is she there merely to drive the plot forward in a few places? What was the point of episode 3 (or whichever one it was where she talked to James and Rei briefly)?
* What's your opinion on the opening and ending themes?
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Sep 26, 2010 7:38 AM
Apr 2009
Ending Theme is perfect.
I am like an angel...
Dec 18, 2010 9:16 AM

Jan 2009
I watched this series for the aerial combat, ie. planes and missiles not characters, what little of them there was anyway.

still the ending was pointlessly ambiguous, we know Rei+Yukikaze died as they stayed behind to let the fleet escape, and they wouldn't let themselves be captured, remember ep 4 when yukikaze fired a missile at itself when it saw they the JAM had a made a copy of it and Rei-the copy ended up taking the missile to avoid rei+yuki being destroyed, as it wanted them for whatever it wanted them for-and the 'hint' in the end wasn't really a hint, that was an attempt at a good ending, didn't work though.

Awesome if you want to see planes flying around, it's almsot surreal if you're watching in high def with all the garbled chatter etc, it all has such a 'cold' and 'clean' feel it to, at first I thought the title silly but after a while it made sense.
Dec 18, 2011 7:38 AM

Nov 2008
The two main characters had a really 'strange' relationship.
Mar 28, 2012 7:38 PM
Mar 2012
everyone knows that rei died ok :) but in the end when there was that hint, im pretty sure it was a quote from the book not a quick way to give a good ending, from what i hear, gozo wanted it to end that way to tie it to the book. also, its like any anime, if want to know the meaning behind it you haft to read the source material.... this is not rocket science and this anime didnt have routes in manga format, it was a actual series of books. Also, you want to know why they didnt give a lot in the end :) its was to make people curious, so that they would read the books. to make the money for the writer ^.^ so there.... mystery solved this anime is on my favorites list for all time!!
*´¨)
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)
(¸.•´ (¸.•` ¤ Yukikaze
Apr 25, 2012 12:45 PM

Apr 2012
So, what do people think of the series?
This is what I called hard work. Gonzo does excellent job, several things to point out.
Their effort collaborate with JASDF to let viewers experience an aircraft real situation. The IFF term, RTB, ECM, Distress signal PAN that i believe use in combat aviation term.

Nice soundtrack that you feel like machine can adopt the nature of skies.
This one fits a take-off procedure
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iVwV_M55iMw
The one I really love, feels like flying thru the vast skies of memories
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WQViz66y994&feature=relmfu
Really good one also
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stVuzdUweag&feature=relmfu
Last Battle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVYycWPYe_0

Well make 3DCG including the Yukikaze interface. I just wish to have that screen inside my car haha.
As for the last episode, it just seem to short. They can put more scene to the ending part, make it more longer. Don't bash me guys haha no offence ^^

I can't never guess hehe, who knows maybe it survive the explosive warhead & live somewhere in Fiary continue fighting the JAM. On second thought probably they manage to escape from Passageway coming back to earth based on the last line Bukhar said "Even so the strange thing is, I wasn't sad at all". NVM, the JAM has opened one portal, that doesn't mean they can't open another. Then Rei can come home anyway. ^^

** What do you think the creators of this series wanted us to think? Was the ambiguity intentional? What does that little hint at the end mean?
There is a Deep Feeling inside this anime of Gonzo. I will listed what I found from my observation.
- No matter how advanced we are, there is always a race more superior than our out there
- How we cannot rely on machine, they may failed at anytime.
- Human became more like machine. They are deluded by the their own system and protocol they created to follow which they put aside humans relation with each other. Tomahawk become the victim here. You can see Rei is engulf with regret, sorrow at the end Operation 3. Another example is distrust feelings when James want to meet the Fleet Commander for refueling. They bought machine gun. One more from what I see Rombert act to spy on JAM was left-out to allow others to leave from the last episode while he is still siding with humans.
- Tho humans are still regard as foolish, waged war, doing cruelty over another, but they are learning. Learning from time to time to improve & improvise themselves. To became better Humans in the future. Lynn quote Operation 4 "There are things we(mankind) do that depress me greatly" " Perhaps now we don't see what's around us, but someday surely".

* What are the JAM? Are they some sort of planetary defense force for Fairy? Are they themselves the planet Fairy? Why did they attack through the hyperspace portal? Are they perhaps just greedy like us humans?
I just can't tell which one is them tho we can see some of their ability
- Make a portal to earth...why they don't just destroy the portal when humans want retreat to earth.
- Jet form...strange they don't disguise as a tank whatsoever.
- A strange turning power turbine is showed at JAM aircraft. Maybe thats their original form. Then why this turbine appears inside Yukikaze cockpit also in Rei dreams. Yukikaze was a defect JAM siding humans?
- JAM disguise in many form, a sylph, cloned human form, a banshee.
- Can create another dimension in Fiary to trap Rei.
- Smaller version of JAM protecting the portal at last episode.
- New JAM type appear at the end with the ability to havoc the unmanned plane.

I think JAM is some sort of an Alien invader that long long time ago come to invade Fiary. After Fiary became just a land waste they targeted earth. If somehow they are the planet Fiary itself then they should know that humans has left Fiary base. But the JAM just knew that when the holograms are exposed. Then they go to make a perimeter at the portal.
The JAM motive are just like humans. A quote from Rombert "The JAM are on eternal quest for knowledge of all things. While they have not yet satisfied their desire to understand you, you can stand against them"

* And why the hell is Lynn Jackson a major character? Is she there merely to drive the plot forward in a few places? What was the point of episode 3 (or whichever one it was where she talked to James and Rei briefly)?
It's in Episode no 4 at the aircraft carrier. All I can think only the director wants to put the audiance to the same perspective and view about the war thats going on the same as Lynn Jackson. They want us to be Lynn Jackson. To view Yukikaze world as Lynn Jackson. Its like we ride a coaster that's narrate by her.
Sorry for the complicated words hahaha

Both are awesome ^^
Jun 13, 2012 10:01 PM

Nov 2009
Some discussion/impressions/secreenshots:

http://randomc.net/2012/05/23/blast-past-yukikaze-ova/
Feb 23, 2013 4:32 AM

Aug 2010
The plot was fairly confusing by I enjoyed the battle scenes, very well done ^_^
Mar 27, 2013 9:44 PM

Mar 2009
This was an truly extraordinary story, strange, different I think there is nothing like this and is primarily because of the story telling and the elements that compose this story, I am very delighted with this i can't imagine how good the novels would be, I wish to read them.

Questions:
I think both are alive, i'd like to believe that, if the JAM were destroyed would be silly for rei to die because of the massive wave of destruction IF that happened the episode would show some evidence within the last moment, last word or in his case last look and breath I don't know at that point where Rei and yukikaze were like that, unstoppable.

I think the key is not focused on JAM but with, Rei, Yukikaze, Jack, lynn..the rest, the earth, their responses, their behaviors, that was the key.

I am happy with the hint at the end, is a was very nice closure, tear*.

Why did they attack through the hyperspace portal? well seems to be the only way? i think they are like invaders like "know and destroy" but you can't tell what they are you can barely see what is they purpose, intelligence seems to be the answer according to Rombart. I think this is a very well assembled story that make it complex, I would have to watch this twice at least.

However i think the real mystery here is how was created Yukikaze, what is Yukikaze and the strange link with Rei. Well Rei is a very particular character which is very interesting, i also think this is filled with many other interesting characters is a shame to not have the chance of knowing more.

I think she is very very important she accomplish to be a narrator, just imagine this story starting from the military base or opened by any other ranged military, or whatever, it wouldn't be the same. I also believe She represent a singular part of the humanity, those who don't forget some events, important thinks, real danger, like the today, people getting used to many things in life, things that today may look normal overall, "natural" in some point were danger, bad, wrong, and normally; certain of these thing in story didn't stop being a danger, bad or wrong just people forget and get use to the idea, and she who incarnate that danger since she was a little kid of the JAM event keep writing about it, keep observing it and trying to know what the hell is that, her and everyone unknown enemy.

When they meet I could see that all this time they were in the same epoch and to realize that the war still ongoing was still very vivid. so her word when she was previously talking about the event and how people barely believe about JAM become more heavy, i think the encounter was punctual to understand some events. yeas the chat was very cool, it was a different point of view, because overall the chat between the military were too direct and you miss how they really feel or that kind of chat..

very good. I have no complains. Music was amazing.
Oct 10, 2013 7:01 AM

Sep 2012
well. that was confusing.
i mainly watched it due to being a huge ace combat fan, and the fact that the B-3 looked pretty much identical to either the ADF-01 falken/ADFX-01 morgan

i agree with others in this thread though
great visuals, lacking a story you could follow though
that final battle was quite intense though

May 13, 2015 2:31 PM

May 2012
Pretty lovely ending in all, quite lovely action and the art/voice cast was better than expecting! All in all a pretty decent anime!
Oct 18, 2015 1:19 AM

Mar 2008
So in the end, well worth the watch. If only the entire show was as engaging as these last two episodes, but at least the end has made up for lost time.

I have to admit that I've still yet to process what exactly the ending shows us between Rei and Yukikaze's likely demise, the obstinate Major, the boomerang's moment of illusion, and those final hazy... memories?
Perhaps there's room to imagine that Rei lives on in some way - after all, what was that talk of the machine boomerang for.

I'm not sure if I missed the explanation or if I just haven't paid enough attention to piece things together, but I'm also still not all that clear on how exactly Rei and Yukikaze's special relationship came to be.

It's a shame the early episodes were so dry and obtuse - perhaps it's in reflection of the novel, but it's just all too repelling when unknown facts and various mysteries are played for ultimately pointless ambiguity - that said, some of the hanging story-points did work for the suspense or as question-raisers. One obviously has to appreciate the work gone into the animating - and the OVA format tells of the trials Gonzo had to go through to put this out. Unfortunately, the series was as a whole too disjointed and awkward - some of it can be attributed to an effective 'coldness' of the alien and metallic AI world and the questionable mental health of the protagonist, but honestly, it came off as so much waiting in a war-story that never quite completely followed through with its character's psychology.

The various themes, moments, and characters all smelt of cleverly interwoven and plotted potential, but in the end come off as underexposed, and almost more as wispy suggestions rather than something concretely touched on. Perhaps it could be put down to run-length, but with all the atmosphere-building lingering, one can't help but think that some of that time could've been better used elsewhere.

But again, the action pieces were lovely, and these last two episodes were paced well - heads and above the others. There are probably some extra nuances to be found from a rewatch now that one knows what directions to expect from the show, but those weaker episodes are a sure turn-off.

All in all, I've certainly gained some interest in giving the novels a shot, and one might expect everything obfuscated and half-shown to work better there. Too bad that they won't come with animated combat, but I suppose that's why we have this OVA.
Oct 24, 2017 10:03 PM

Dec 2009
I simply pose one question:
Did they really make it off of Fairy?

If JAM can create such elaborate illusions, what if they got enough information to trap everyone there thinking they'd gone back? After all, we never actually saw them go back.
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Nov 5, 2017 10:36 AM
Sep 2009
GenesisAria said:
I simply pose one question:
Did they really make it off of Fairy?
If JAM can create such elaborate illusions, what if they got enough information to trap everyone there thinking they'd gone back? After all, we never actually saw them go back.

Lynn Jackson never was on Fairy though, so she cannot be trapped there with James and the rest. I think only Rei and Yukikaze got trapped, post-credits scene in ep. 5 hints at it. JAM were trying to capture Yukikaze all the time, they're clearly very interested in it.
AsceienNov 5, 2017 10:41 AM
Nov 5, 2017 5:26 PM

Dec 2009
@Asceien
I pose a more E7 kind of approach, they're just alien things that interact with humans trying to learn... they interest in Yukikaze, because it gets the closest involved with them, the closest intellectual link. Like how it was reflected in the storm etc. The JAM are warlike, because the humans are warlike.

But yeah, that last bit just left me with the possibility, because it was unclear, and could have been a wishful hallucination or an intentional illusion by the JAM...
❀桜舞う空〜                   Cute is Power.           🔗CosmoGenesis Project
“You cannot know what you do not know.”
“Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.”
“A truth seeker has no patience for BS.”

I seek only to improve myself and others.
Dec 22, 2018 3:45 AM
Dec 2018
I haven't read the book but the JAM seems to be a hive intellectual type of entity that can successfully preserve/copy data even human consciousness. They themselves maybe are maybe some computer being since (hence does not believe in souls but neither do i).

That being said to learn for eternity, means that killing humans in their domain is a non-issue as they can resurrect them again and it has been shown that the humans are not controlled by JAM only influenced in some degree. They still can choose they own fates.

Thus for the ending, as a reward for succeeding in defeating them (defeating their predictions) they recreated Rei and everyone even Yukikaze so they can live a 'happy life' even though the originals are dead. You see a hint of that in the scene when Yukikaze transfers it data to the unmanned fighter then ask it to destroy the original.
Feb 27, 2023 4:35 AM

Apr 2016
I don't understand why those humans were left behind in the city to get shot up by the Jam infantry.

KenShiRo-Sama said:
The two main characters had a really 'strange' relationship.

In the post credits scene you see that the major had dozens of pilots at the start of his command, but by the time the show begins he only has Fukui left. Presumably everyone else lost, so it seems that the Major has feels bad and really wanted the one last pilot under his command to survive.
Nov 23, 2023 11:50 PM
Nov 2023
gorgeous final battles!!! awesome full-loaded FFR41MR

More topics from this board

Poll: » Sentou Yousei Yukikaze Episode 2 Discussion

RafaelDeJongh - May 13, 2015

2 by King_Ether »»
Aug 4, 2020 5:05 PM

Poll: » Sentou Yousei Yukikaze Episode 1 Discussion

3 by King_Ether »»
Jul 29, 2020 8:43 PM

Poll: » Sentou Yousei Yukikaze Episode 4 Discussion

3 by Feniksrises »»
May 27, 2016 11:40 AM

Poll: » Sentou Yousei Yukikaze Episode 3 Discussion

0 by RafaelDeJongh »»
May 13, 2015 1:49 PM

Poll: » Yukikaze the Movie

AnimeEater - Apr 16, 2013

1 by TallonKarrde23 »»
Apr 16, 2013 3:25 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.