Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 9, 8:29 AM

Nov 2011
Well, this show has some popular guys even though one of the main characters Tarou isn't yet one of them. He goes to a school and gets recognized immediately by Kei.

There's a sense of lighthearted vibe and humor. Obviously, baseball is a major part of the show but I do find the humor kinda funny. We also get some character backgrounds but I expect the show will expand much more on them. Animation quality looks fine. Tarou looks the least impressive in terms of looks though imo.
Apr 9, 8:29 AM

May 2020
They’ve poured a lot of money into this, it seems. From voice cast, to the production values. But then again, in recent times anything from Mappa which isn’t super mainstream, has pretty much fallen flat. Either they adapt something really boring, or will do those irredeemable originals. Not sure what would happen to this in the end, but for now these exaggerated reactions from characters should be dialled down.

The setting with an invincible baseball battery suddenly stopping from participating itself… could of gone various ways, but they chose to go with that memory loss angle lol. Blonde guy voiced by Miyano Mamoru is kind of too much with his reactions, but lol, they had to somehow make it so that he lost his memory and therefore no longer remember his day of being a prime catcher. Not well versed in memory loss area, as I mean you usually see them in movies and soap operas only.. so this is already onto an unserious note to begin with.

Plain guy voiced by Kaji Yuki.. would be a plain guy till the end it seems, but good for the battery duo they got some practice in the end with those goons. Decent enough start I suppose, I mean at the very least it established the plot we’ll revolve around. Need more characters and more episodes to form any other opinion.
Apr 9, 8:30 AM

Jul 2017
Once again, MAPPA is handed the reigns to adapt mangaka Eko Mikawa's lesser-known baseball series, which currently serializes on Shonen Jump+. It's just really not that well known outside of Japan, being 17 volumes deep, despite MAPPA episode director Masato Nakazono at the helm.

Mrs. Green Apple with the OP, and it's just rather fine. Macaroni Empitsu's ED is a slightly better effort.

The formidable battery of the two: batter/pitcher Haruka Kiyomine and catcher Kei Kaname, it's told from a different angle: 15-year-old Taro Yamada, who once was in baseball, but quits to find new life in high school. But him seeing both baseball idols who've gone missing for quite awhile, for Kei to act so abrupt, Taro's immediately definitely taken aback that they don't act like their famous names do. Instead, they become the series' nicnamed title Oblivion Battery, and become idiots in the process (at least for Kei, which having Mamoru Miyano voice him is quite the joker character). Such luck for Taro doesn't come easy, but to see his idols become so amnesiac and dilapidated respectively, it definitely is night and day.

Thankfully, there's a baseball club...though it's a fan club at best, where the trio just applied anyways. And with the appearance of shitty seniors, Haruka holds back against them, though Taro pushes him to do his usual...which Kei came to swap with him to catch Haruka's ball. Even then, the idiot still goofs around, but at least Taro is assured that he's watching both pitcher and catcher do their work, and their stint of going down the rabbit hole into unknown territory is what they're after, which they still have their skills intact.

I don't know if I'm watching this for the baseball...or Mamoru Miyano's comedy.
KANLen09Apr 19, 9:05 PM

Dec 2021
MAPPA is back for their seasonal production... This time, it's a show not about fighting but a return from the 2020 OVA, Eko Mikawa's Boukyaku Battery.

Haruka Kiyomine, the iron-armed pitcher, and Kei Kaname, renowned as the "Skilled General" catcher, formed an unmatched, formidable battery during their middle-school baseball days. Despite being scouted by prestigious high schools nationwide, fate led them to Tokyo Municipal Kotesashi High School, an unexpected choice given its lack of baseball prominence. Coincidentally, former rivals who had abandoned the sport after facing defeat by this dynamic duo also found themselves enrolled in the same school. And so, their reunion reignites a chain of events, setting the stage for their journey to begin anew.

The plot is straightforward but engaging... unlike another MAPPA project cough Bucchigiri?! cough A talented battery from middle school disappears, and everyone expects them to resurface at a prestigious high school. Yamada Tarou, a former baseball player, quits the sport after feeling overshadowed by the prodigy battery. He then enrolls in a school without a baseball team, where the battery unexpectedly reappears. I think this might be the best anime ever created. Hear me out, guys... they literally want to be baseball players, which is so inspiring.

Already not better than the original OVA, but also last season's MAPPA seasonal production, Bucchigiri?! I have high hopes for this one, don't pull a Bucchigiri?! on me, MAPPA.

Sep 2015
At first glance, this look like Re-Main also from the same studio MAPPA but the manga actually existed several years before Re-Main. Anyway, yaoi-bait sports anime is my favorite genre and I couldn't be more careless about the orignality. Just show me those boys' sweat and I'll forgive everything.
Apr 9, 8:31 AM

Nov 2007
tsubasaloverApr 23, 10:51 AM
I Two Syaorans from Tsubasa RESERVoir CHRoNiCLE and TRC!!!
Apr 9, 8:32 AM

Feb 2020
MAPPA strikes again. Nice animation as expected. I'm not the biggest baseball fan, but let's give this one a chance.
Apr 9, 9:06 AM
Jul 2023
I’m all in on this series just for Miyano-san voice acting.

Apr 9, 9:13 AM

Feb 2021
Mappa seriously plans to have one of their anime airing every season, I swear. Also apparently this was adapted into a 20-minute ONA in 2020 (by Mappa too).
Also apparently x2 the manga is really popular in Japan and this anime was anticipated a lot, so that's why the production staff is so stacked. Baseball is super big there, so not surprising.
I hope this explains some Baseball rules and terminology to me, I don't know anything about it :p. Like, only after watching the trailers I learned that battery can mean "the pitcher and the catcher" too... And I was wondering what batteries have to do with baseball lol.

The loss of memory reminds me of Re-Main (another Mappa anime about water polo from 2021).
Maybe it's a reference to something irl, but from what I know, Yamada Taro is something like John Smith in the west, the most typical and common name ever.
5:26 黒船 (kurofune) - black ships; Western ships that came to Japan between the 16th and 19th centuries, esp. those of the Perry Expedition in 1853 (Historical term)

The ED is made by the same band that made the first Summertime Render ED!
Cool first episode. The visuals were amazing as expected, I hope the story will live up to it. And Mamoru Miyano (Kei's VA) is absolute gold in this.
Apr 9, 9:48 AM

Mar 2021
This was a great start am not really into baseball but this looks great so far.
Apr 9, 9:52 AM

Oct 2017
Sports has been real dry recently so I'm really hoping this'll turn out to a good one.
Apr 9, 10:07 AM

Oct 2009
バッチコイ! ⚾

I've been looking forward to this since the announcement, while at the same time also trying to avoid spoilers. Not the easiest task. The timing is perfect, just ten days after Senbatsu, everyone's got time to take a breather and now jump into the sport once again, of course with the obligatory start of the school year - it's almost like we're in real time, at least for the first episode.

The style is ... kinda odd, ngl, like continuously shapeshifting between silly and weird and "normal" (whatever that is for anime lol). In a way it keeps the viewer on their toes, not that that's gonna be needed if both the drama and the comedy factors are gonna be this high through the entire series. Production value also looks high as usual, although I can't shake the fact... I can't be the only one? who's gotten some major AI-ish vibes in a few flashes there? Maybe it's just me having seen too much actual AI stuff, but it definitely felt like that at times. (NOT making accusations, I don't care enough either way to do so, and in any case, MAPPA's artists might just be too good at what they're doing for all I know.) Voice cast is also excellent - Mamo has waaaay too many roles to even make a reference, but fwiw hearing Kirishima and Todoroki in these roles alone is already pure comedy gold. With the not-protag so intentionally and obviously being such a carte blanche at that. OP and ED are also great, both the visuals (the amount of stuff squeezed into the OP especially, but just the whole style of the ED as well), and the songs themselves (which fit very nicely in mood and rhythm). And indeed, I knew it reminded me of something, now that I see people pointing out Re-Main, I get why it also felt so familiar in more ways than one. Gonna be interesting to compare and contrast.

In any case - PLAY BALL! We're ready. But I swear if we don't get to see Kaname's nipples after all this in just the first episode, I'm gonna stage a riot. Catchers have a LOT of sex appeal btw, Kaname-kun. Pfft.
yellowheartrenApr 9, 11:08 AM
Apr 9, 10:14 AM

Jun 2019
The first episode was so fun. It was so amazing to see the chemistry between those two. Haruka and Kei are so amazing. Kei got so funny after suffering from Amnesia. Poor Yamada tho. He's just average but a nice kid. It was a fun start.

Everything looks great. Animation, music, and direction. Both the OP and ED are amazing as well. Really looking forward to this.
Apr 9, 10:16 AM
Jan 2021
Honestly I’m really liking this series so far, it seems pretty interesting with the plot of a bunch of kids who quit playing baseball after taking a major L from Haruka and Kei, but they eventually come together to form a baseball team and make it to the top together, I’ve been wanting to get into more sports anime that are ongoing, but every sports anime within the last few years have been either bad or okay that I eventually dropped them except Blue Lock which I already knew I was gonna like, this series I knew about it since 2020 when they announced the OVA back at Jump Festa 2020 but I never got around to watching it then I heard it was getting anime this year so I was like I’ll wait to get my first impressions when the anime drops, and so far I like it nothing too crazy happened in the first episode but it does good enough to make me interested in the series cause the plot it’s simple but it works, I’ve been wanting to read the manga too but I never got around to that either but I’ll mostly likely get into the manga after Season 1 finishes, my only question for manga readers is do they eventually go pro and what kind of arcs are in this series?
Apr 9, 10:26 AM
Sep 2022
I’m into it. Funny, engaging, interesting, Mrs. Green Apple on the opening, that’s all I need.
Apr 9, 10:30 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
Kei personality, the best of the all episode!!!
kekeke
Apr 9, 10:48 AM
Oct 2019
phantomfandom said:
At first glance, this look like Re-Main also from the same studio MAPPA but the manga actually existed several years before Re-Main. Anyway, yaoi-bait sports anime is my favorite genre and I couldn't be more careless about the orignality. Just show me those boys' sweat and I'll forgive everything.

Where the fuck you see yaoi or yaoi bait lmao
Apr 9, 11:16 AM
Sep 2021
I'm a huge fan of baseball, but this anime first impression disappointed me, may be I expected too much, cuz Major and Ace of Diamond were GOATed😞 Except for the premise, Animations and Comedy are nice... Hope it'd get better in the future...
Apr 9, 12:11 PM

Feb 2021
Let's hope for a second season after the series ends!
Apr 9, 12:12 PM

Jun 2014
A formidable baseball duo that struck fear in the hearts of their opponents, until they got nerfed by the catcher getting amnesia 💀 decent premise and start so far, as the star duo reunites with a former opponent at an ordinary public school. Hopefully Taro becomes a more confident baseball player as we see Kei and Haruka return back to star status.

Lol when you have a goofy unserious character like Kei it makes sense to get none other than Mamoru Miyano to voice him. And was that a Shawshank Redemption reference when Kei was standing in the rain? 💀💀
People on MAL refuse to actually enjoy watching anime.

Your taste in anime isn't a personality trait.

Apr 9, 12:21 PM
Dec 2020
i kinda get what this anime's trying to do and the premise is good, i'm always down for a good sports anime however they're not doing a very good job
the main duo is the standard light-haired bubbly guy and the dark-haired asoicial guy with insane talents, which is really nothing new, so the only way they could improve on it is by making the bubbly guy a big whiner, which is ok i guess, but h's kinda annoying. and they did one of my fave vas sooo dirty with this role
also the animation style is reeaaly off-putting, their eyes make me feel like they should be handsome/charismatic (esp kiyomines) but it's just dull and makes me really uncomfortable. they look 3d and 2d at the same time but in the worst way, the pop-art style is not doing them any favours
so far this isn't giving me ANYTHING, i was thinking of dropping it after the first 3 mins, but i'll give the story maybe 2 more eps to start developing
Apr 9, 12:44 PM

Apr 2018
I'm all in for the comedy and animation. The production looks top notch in the baseball scenes.
The voice actors are also all stacked as hell.
Kei's a pretty fun character with Mamoru Miyano as VA while also having a quiet tall guy as his childhood friend.
And lastly, a pretty average guy named Yamada.
Characters are also pretty likeable fro now.

“You yourself have to change first, or nothing will change for you!”
'
Apr 9, 12:49 PM
Ero Ojisan

Jun 2019
Finally, we get a baseball anime two weeks after the opening weekend of the MLB season. Haruka and Kei were the deadliest pitcher and catcher duo(Battery) in Japan and have crushed the dreams of many baseball players in Jr. High. Taro was one of those people that have quit baseball because of Haruka and Kei. It wasn't until Taro found out that Haruka and Kei were attending the same school that didn't have a baseball team, except Kei was acting differently due to his amnesia claims that he's forgotten about baseball. Makes me wonder why Haruka and Kei attended that school in the first place. It just so happens that the school is starting a baseball club and of course Haruka and Kei sign up for it along with Taro who got dragged into it. For someone like Kei who doesn't know how to play baseball, he hasn't forgotten how to catch Haruka pitches as he is the only one that can catch them. The sound of Haruka's pitch hitting Kei's glove was like the sound of a gunshot. Despite all this, Kei refuses to play baseball like his younger self so its going to take a while for the deadliest battery in Jr. High comes back to true form with Taro's help.

This anime an interesting premise with a player having an amnesia and being a goofy character. The comedy bits were very entertaining too.

Truist Park which is home to the Atlanta Braves has a mixed-use shopping complex that is adjacent to the baseball field called "The Battery Atlanta"

https://www.batteryatl.com/
Apr 9, 12:59 PM
Jan 2023
need more sports frfr
Apr 9, 1:02 PM
Aug 2021
pretty good first episode.I like animation.I cant wait to next episode and i hope it will get huge attention and get new seasons.We need more baseball anime
Apr 9, 1:23 PM

Jul 2011
Ehhh I'll just wait for another season of diamond no ace. Skip.
Apr 9, 2:10 PM

Jun 2020
not gonna lie, i got re-main flashbacks when i read the premise. another memory loss sports anime from MAPPA, but for now, this isn't as much of a shit show.

we got to meet some of the team members, and already a bit of a conflict is set up with the older students. not a bad start when you disregard miyano mamoru doing his 'funny voice' for 80% of the episode. i hope they dial it down as they get more into the baseball.
korix_Apr 9, 10:06 PM
Apr 9, 2:46 PM

May 2019
With MLB having recently started a new season, and Ohtani playing for the Dodgers, I felt that this series had great timing. NGL, I'm picturing Ohtani as Haruka and so far it's working with Haruka being a great pitcher and also having offense, and of course also being tall.

Anyway, I'm curious what happened to Kei for him to have gotten amnesia but it still seems he has the catcher instinct when he took over for Yamada. Looking forward to watching how this series plays out ✌️
Apr 9, 4:12 PM
Apr 2024
Hot guys playing baseball? And made by MAPPA? I’m in!
Apr 9, 4:24 PM
Apr 2024
phantomfandom said:

Couldn’t agree more. This show is probably not for everyone, but definitely seems perfect for haikyuu fans/ bl fans
Apr 9, 4:32 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
Didn't realize Kei was gonna be super silly (neither did Yamada), but Mamo's voice acting is on point :'D He's really good at voicing goofy characters lol. Kei is still a bit too excessive though, if I wasn't so interested in another baseball anime, I think Kei would've been slightly on the annoying side for me. Haruka is pretty funny himself, always thinking that Kei's jokes are funny, haha. Cute~

But anyways, fun first episode! The quality is really good, and I like the OP and ED as well. Also really liked the part where Yamada was instructing Kei the proper catching form, and then of course, Haruka's pitch at full speed! That was awesome ^^ Excited to see the battery being formed again and playing in high school.
Apr 9, 5:23 PM

Sep 2016
The 1st minute was really good, I thought it was gonna be about invincible battery shitting on everyone, but NOPE. amnesiac, gag-filled school life. what a waste. dropped.
CrossAnge

Hey guys check my profile for current airing season anime recommendation (guaranteed best taste)
Apr 9, 5:30 PM

Sep 2021
As I somewhat expected from the trailer, it's not much of your average sports anime. Instead, it's more of a flat jokes parody of the genre! From homoerotic teammate moments to gifted players, we got all the stuff the genre likes to pull.

Sound good on paper. But I'm not sure how I feel about it yet. Much like the start of Snack Basue last season, it feels a bit forced right now. And if I'd take a guess: From this point onwards I'll either fall in love with it or really hate it. And there's abseloutly no telling which one it is yet.
Apr 9, 5:46 PM

Jun 2013
I am myself, nipple hair.
Apr 9, 7:05 PM

Nov 2012
Soooo..... I was sitting here waiting for one of them to bake something and wondering there was so much baseball. Why? Because I thought it said Oblivion BAKERY not Battery. I was like so he quit baseball cuz he likes cooking? smh I can't stand baseball! Thing is this was funny. Think I'll keep watching. And who knows, maybe one of them will get some cookies.
Apr 9, 7:05 PM

Aug 2013
sarybelle said:
I’m into it. Funny, engaging, interesting, Mrs. Green Apple on the opening, that’s all I need.

I was thinking the same thing! I really like it so far (also, I just looked at your favorites lists, and I gotta say that you have great taste ^^)
Apr 9, 9:50 PM
Jan 2020
I really hope this doesn't fall apart like Bucchigiri, aside from that, what the fuck is that art style
Apr 9, 11:07 PM

Nov 2023
I love Baseball. So I watched this one.

Loving all the characters already.

Let's see how it goes from here.
I might never be the hands you put your heart in
Or the arms that hold you any time you want them
But that don't mean that we can't live here in the moment
'Cause I can be the one you love from time to time
Apr 10, 2:06 AM

Apr 2022
so two seasons in a row, i'm watching a show just because of mappa.
Apr 10, 5:18 AM

Jan 2017
Mappa, Mamoru Miyano and baseball...omg, what could be better?! 😭💛
Apr 10, 5:59 AM

Jun 2023
Mainnus said:
I’m all in on this series just for Miyano-san voice acting.

yessss. same as me 😂😁🤗
Apr 10, 8:54 AM

Mar 2010
"What if Kida Masaomi (from Durarara) and Furuya Satoru (from Diamond no Ace) formed a battery" The Anime

I just can't help to compare how similar these characters are to some other characters in other series. The jokes seemed kind of too silly, Kida-level silly. Even the voice actor is the same. And the other character is like Furuya, a strong tall pitcher who is cold yet very serious at their role and unexpectedly caring.

Also I can't help to compare how i feel that Diamond no Ace will be a better series compared to this. It is still first episode so I wont be that harsh, and i hope i am wrong. Perhaps when we see more into the character depth (backstory how the accident happened) I might change my opinion on this. Furuya being overly attached to Kida (i'll try to remember their real names soon, i promise) seems a bit too attached, perhaps he caused the accident and feels responsible? Would be an interesting twist.

And even though this is Mappa i find some propotions kind of weird for some characters, heads are too big sometimes? Or is it the higher than normal contrast? Will take a bit to get used to :)
LylaazApr 10, 8:59 AM
Apr 10, 10:02 AM
Apr 2021
MAPPA staying in the basement w this one!
Apr 10, 1:41 PM
Jan 2023
Great voice actors. Interesting story. Should be a fun watch.
Apr 10, 1:41 PM
Jan 2023
Great voice actors. Interesting story. Should be a fun watch.
Apr 10, 4:13 PM
Pirate King
Feb 2021
Well Mappa takes the reign on this baseball series and I’m intrigued to see how they do with this after the flop of what was Bucchigiri. The premise is nice, and the op/ed was good. Only 12 episodes for this season and the rating started off pretty low imo for a sports show so hopefully it’ll get better as the season goes along. I was looking forward to this one since I’m keeping up with the manga so let’s see how it does
Apr 11, 1:45 AM
Apr 2024
i can say they invested a lot to this project. lobed the ep 1 so far
Apr 11, 7:36 PM

May 2012
I'm puzzled by the remarkably low score for the first episode. Honestly, I was a bit hesitant to watch due to the low rating, but my love for baseball anime prevailed, so I decided to give it a chance. I'm pleased I did because it turned out to be quite amusing and holds promise for an intriguing storyline. Plus, who can resist the charm of a goofy Miyano Mamoru? He's a blast! And was actually a major factor in piquing my interest in continuing the series. He can truly convey a wide range of emotions through his voice alone. He brings depth and authenticity to his character, breathing life into the role. Although I hope they won't overdo the nipple jokes in future episodes, I remain optimistic that the story will become even more engaging, especially looking forward to some exciting baseball matches ahead!
Apr 12, 4:47 AM

Oct 2008
Kei's obnoxious attitude is the only saving grace of this gay baseball show...
3/5.

Apr 12, 6:16 AM
草薙直哉zfg

Apr 2022
great episode. love the music and characters
boredboredbored
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Boukyaku Battery (TV) Episode 6 Discussion

Stark700 - May 14

23 by Groman »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » Boukyaku Battery (TV) Episode 5 Discussion

Stark700 - May 7

18 by AJpurple »»
May 15, 8:07 AM

Poll: » Boukyaku Battery (TV) Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 30

22 by AJpurple »»
May 15, 6:49 AM

Poll: » Boukyaku Battery (TV) Episode 2 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 16

31 by AJpurple »»
May 15, 5:39 AM

Poll: » Boukyaku Battery (TV) Episode 3 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 23

43 by Sanguor »»
May 10, 6:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.