Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Spice and Wolf (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 10, 9:28 PM

Feb 2011
ami's voice acting is carrying this show so hard it's insane.

animation is on point

everything is on point tbh

a fantastic show so far. def. keeping it.

Apr 10, 9:38 PM

Jan 2013
Reply to lighthalzen-kun
@Ishitateso clearly this remake has pushed the fanservice one or more tier above the previous anime so maybe we will get some
@lighthalzen-kun It really hasn't, she's just as naked in the original. She was naked for more of ep 1 in the original.
If you reply back to me and I never respond, I lost interest and don't care. Sorry about that.
Apr 11, 4:46 AM
Mar 2020
Love the banter between Holo and Lawrence.
Apr 11, 8:18 AM

Jan 2018
Pretty ballsy of Lawrence to introduce Holo as his wife. But Holo doesn’t seem to mind.

I already love Holo and Lawrence's banter. I think I'm falling in love with Holo's voice. She sounds so majestic yet so cute.
Apr 11, 10:35 AM
Jan 2017
I thought Episode 1 was just fine, nothing impressive. But Episode 2 was a standout - the pacing and the medieval setting were impeccable. While I was not used to it in the first episode, Holo's portrayal really resonates with me now, especially her voice. While it carries a geisha-like tone, it's executed with such moderation and nuance that it perfectly fits the medieval anime ambiance, embodying the character of an old and wise wolf (fox?), with bouts of innocence peeking through to show her unfamiliarity with the current human society. This subtle blend made her voice not just fitting, but impactful in the context of the series.
Apr 11, 3:51 PM
Supreme Tsundere

Nov 2012
Watched these first two episodes back to back, nothing much else to say aside a solid adaptation so far, OG S1 was good at the start, you could see the potential, and then with time there is tons of payoff, so is the remake, I m not gushing or going crazy for what I found.

But I m pleased, hopeful, and happy that we are getting 25 eps STRAIGHT! The director of this also directed S2 yes? So this is a "passion" project and from that and my love for the series, I expected at least this much to bring it back from the death, it deserved at least this much respect.

So far so good, solid OP1 mainly, if they repeated OP from S1 I wouldn't mind, but this is tasteful enough (good visuals), and I m curious to see what our boy Pekin has been cocking up for this amazing and legendary (IMO) series.
Apr 11, 4:15 PM

Feb 2010
Reply to Playcool
Watched these first two episodes back to back, nothing much else to say aside a solid adaptation so far, OG S1 was good at the start, you could see the potential, and then with time there is tons of payoff, so is the remake, I m not gushing or going crazy for what I found.

But I m pleased, hopeful, and happy that we are getting 25 eps STRAIGHT! The director of this also directed S2 yes? So this is a "passion" project and from that and my love for the series, I expected at least this much to bring it back from the death, it deserved at least this much respect.

So far so good, solid OP1 mainly, if they repeated OP from S1 I wouldn't mind, but this is tasteful enough (good visuals), and I m curious to see what our boy Pekin has been cocking up for this amazing and legendary (IMO) series.
@Playcool he directed S1 too, he also said at the time that he was a fan, and yes i'm sure it's a passion (passione, even) project

he even directed "maoyu" that is considered the fake spice and wolf, at the time recommended to be watched when you want more spice and wolf-like stuff, so he must really like this "type" of writing (duo of character with good chemistry between them and ambiguous romance)

“Read as little as possible of critical or aesthetic works. They are either products of a close-minded spirit, petrified and devoid of meaning in their lifeless hardening, or clever verbal games [...]. Works of art are of an infinite solitude; nothing is worse than criticism for approaching them. Only love can grasp them, keep them, be just toward them. Always give precedence to your own feeling against these analyses, these reviews, these introductions. [...] You must let every impression, every seed of feeling, ripen within you, in the dark, in the inexpressible, in the unconscious, those regions closed to understanding. Wait with humility and patience for the hour of the birth of a new clarity. Art demands of its faithful followers as much as of its creators.”
— RAINER-MARIA Rilke, Letters to a Young Poet (letter dated April 23, 1903).
Apr 11, 10:35 PM

Oct 2022
Holo's eating quickly is very cue but im suprised she has yet to burn her mouth on something
Apr 12, 2:11 AM
Aug 2019
again really nailed it
Apr 12, 6:29 AM
Sep 2021
The visuals are good, enjoying the main duo's interaction & looking forward for more.
Apr 12, 6:36 AM

Jan 2014
He could've said that his sister or just his travelling companion but he jumps the gun and says Holo is his wife. My memory of the og anime was pretty vague but somehow, I remember what Holo said about the church but can't remember anything pertaining to that other merchant. Love the bit about wolfs attacking human and vice versa. Nothing much going on this episode, just take shelter from the rain and a bit of interaction between the two but somehow, I don't feel bored of it. I really love Holo's voice.

PROFILE | ANIMELIST | MANGALIST | 𝓵𝓸𝓵𝓵𝔂𝓰𝓪𝓰𝓰𝓲𝓷𝓰

Apr 12, 9:20 AM
Mar 2008
I'm excited but still kind of apprehensive about this remake. I'm currently rewatching them side by side, and I still prefer the original. The remake closely follows the original in story boarding and dialogue, but somehow misses some of the nuances of the original.

The original had:
- Better dialogue and banter. Take the opening scene about rain. "It looks like you're going to become clean as well from head to toe" vs "You should hurry, the rain will come soon"
- Better scene direction? When talking about Holo being able to tell lies apart, she suddenly claps, revealing a tail shadow puppet on the wall, whereas the remake she pretty much claps for no reason? Ep 1 Holo's wolf transformation scene is also better timed with the cut to black, etc etc.
- More interesting scenery. Everything seems emptier in the remake. The scenery often looks flat and doesn't have some of the gorgeous backdrops and their layering.

I'm being extremely nitpicky here, but a remake should be better than the original.
Apr 12, 12:16 PM
Jan 2023
Basically just 20 minutes of dialogue, but you know what, it went so quick...

Lawrence and Holo are already such interesting characters, having lived in completely different environments. They dealt with that perfectly.

I think I really am going to enjoy this show.
Apr 12, 4:30 PM
Jul 2021
We learned that Lawrence has been chased by wolves before and even watched his companions die. It’s an interesting element to emphasize for his new partnership with Holo. We also learned that Holo most likely has killed humans before as a wolf. Otherwise, we also see more of how Lawrence approaches business negotiations, which was pretty interesting.

The content itself in this episode was slower than I would’ve liked. We laid out a few pieces this episode, so hopefully we see where that takes us next episode or some sort of conflict.
Apr 12, 6:13 PM
Jan 2021
I love holo's personality
Apr 12, 7:02 PM

Sep 2023
No need for the wise wolf to see that this "kid" is a crook... Holo is so cute in this episode, sly and cute!
Apr 13, 4:41 AM
Oct 2019
Guys focus on the subtitles when watching the episode...
DO NOT GET DISTRACTED LIKE I DID!!
Apr 13, 6:47 AM

Nov 2015
good chemistry and communication between Holo and Lawrence
Apr 13, 3:28 PM
Sep 2021
Interesting to see it dive more into the trade part this time around.
Apr 14, 6:33 AM

Jul 2014
I'm really liking this show but man, I'm loving Holo. I'm falling hard xD.

Apr 14, 6:54 AM
Mar 2024
Getting hard to understand what they're talking about but good nontheless
Apr 15, 6:13 AM

Jul 2017
In the pouring rain, Holo sure is unapologetic being naked in front of Lawrence, and she takes pride in her marten fur, something that still keeps their chemistry alive. As a merchant, Lawrence is quite the knowledgeable one to share with others, and as a "wife", Holo is still adept with her surroundings, though she WILL take advantage of free food every chance she gets.

Zheren definitely has the looks of a swindler, but his deal with a large silver coin is hiding something deep within, and Holo knows it all too well other than Lawrence if he decides to plunge on the offer like a merchant, because he is one. The Wise Wolf earning another food fill from this, and having to explore the Church on her own the next morning, she's easily fascinated by the change of the times. Still though, Lawrence takes Zheren's offer to meet at a familiar's merchant place in Pazzio, as the journey continues with a rather precarious wolf joke that Lawrence has experience facing against wolves, and not a good one that almost caused the loss of life. It's the same for Holo, and they're now even.

Despite being two worlds apart, both Lawrence and Holo are similar alike.
Apr 15, 11:47 AM

Jan 2017
Holo is probably the cutest female main character in this spring season for me. I have a feeling she'd win rewards on anime polls for being best girl or something, but if she doesn't, she's still the best girl for me in this season~
Apr 15, 12:36 PM
Nov 2023
Nude Holo is beautifull, besto gril 10/10
Apr 17, 1:24 PM
May 2023
Amazing second episode. I already love this anime because of how calm it is, kinda reminds me of Frieren. Really like the animation aswell, the scenery is so beautiful in this show.
Apr 19, 3:54 PM

Nov 2009
Holo is so lovable
Hi !!!
Apr 20, 6:14 AM

Feb 2009
Holo is wise indeed.
Praise the wise fluff! \o/
Apr 20, 9:46 PM
Apr 2023
love this forever
Apr 21, 10:05 AM
Sep 2017
bring good memories
Apr 22, 7:10 PM

Dec 2022
this new adaptation's music and aesthetic are relentlessly serene and Holo is looking relentlessly healthy ^_^
Apr 24, 6:40 AM

May 2015
Even a wise wolf has to appreciate the value of a cheese covered potato.
Apr 25, 10:31 AM

Jan 2020
Seriously wonder why this is voted lower than Frieren. Afaik it’s adapting the superior source material well and visually looks great. Maybe it’s the fan service? Or the fact that this doesn’t feature a stoic granny elf?
Apr 29, 6:39 AM

Apr 2015
I remember the corresponding episode in the original dragging on a bit. Didn't feel it here. Guess we're getting an improvement
Apr 29, 6:47 AM

Apr 2015
Reply to Animillion
Seriously wonder why this is voted lower than Frieren. Afaik it’s adapting the superior source material well and visually looks great. Maybe it’s the fan service? Or the fact that this doesn’t feature a stoic granny elf?
@Animillion The visuals are good, but not quite as great. I'd also guess the subject matter is more accessible
Apr 30, 9:26 PM
Nov 2023
i like holo when she smile
May 1, 1:12 PM
A sandwich

Jul 2020
Seems like the wise wolf surely can tell in a somewhat accurate fashion when someone's lying. Lawrence might use that to his advantage in those times when he doesn't feel (understandably) aroused. Not quite sure why that kid would like other than to make a profit himself somehow but I guess will see that in the coming episodes.
⠓⠥⠍⠁⠝⠊⠞⠽ ⠞⠓⠗⠕⠥⠛⠓ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠎⠞⠥⠏⠊⠙⠊⠞⠽⠂ ⠎⠕⠍⠑ ⠺⠊⠇⠇ ⠎⠅⠊⠏ ⠺⠁⠎⠓⠊⠝⠛ ⠞⠓⠑⠊⠗ ⠓⠁⠝⠙⠎ ⠁⠝⠙ ⠑⠝⠙ ⠥⠏ ⠗⠥⠊⠝⠊⠝⠛ ⠊
⠞ ⠋⠕⠗ ⠑⠧⠑⠗⠽⠕⠝⠑
⠎⠓⠊⠊⠅⠕ ⠁⠕⠎⠕⠊⠂ ⠼⠃⠼⠚⠼⠁⠼⠓
May 3, 3:01 AM

Jul 2019
Great synergy between the two! Their discussions come so natural and make some great world building since you know they would have them evn w/o us viewers.

Animation is on point and really smooth and overall the show is quite beautiful!
May 5, 6:15 PM

Jun 2016
Is it gonna get good?
May 6, 6:22 AM

Feb 2021
Those tails never stop swinging XD
- Mal-Badge -

Level 25
Ranked 1135
Last update : 27.02.2022 at 05:50

My Candies :

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 6, 3:14 PM

Jul 2022
Holo smiles are very cute, it's a shame she has to hide her ears and tails. The best part about Holo is that she does things at her own pace.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» How does this compare to the original?

anizawa89 - Yesterday

11 by 2Yoitsu »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6

106 by FMmatron »»
7 hours ago

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Apr 22

82 by FMmatron »»
7 hours ago

» What is this actually about?

Tan_2 - May 5

23 by MinaseNagi »»
Yesterday, 11:21 PM

Poll: » Ookami to Koushinryou: Merchant Meets the Wise Wolf Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Softhenic03 - Apr 29

89 by Shikkakku »»
Yesterday, 3:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.